By Jim Spencer Star Tribune
Image: Mn Star Tribune
JUNE 1, 2019 — 6:22PM
Rhonda Olson tried to do her homework before she let a doctor permanently implant mesh in her pelvic region to shore up sagging organs. She read up on mesh treatment for what is called pelvic organ prolapse and saw some reports of problems.
She questioned her doctor. “This new mesh is safe,” she says he assured her.
It was not.
Last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ordered mesh products for transvaginal repair of pelvic organ prolapse off the market. The FDA said neither of the two companies that still sold it, Boston Scientific and Coloplast, had demonstrated that mesh was more effective or safer than using a patient’s own tissue.
The FDA’s action came too late for Olson. The 47-year-old mother of four from Ham Lake suffered irreversible damage from vaginal mesh. She required risky mesh removal surgery and still lives with pain that forces her to take $300 a month worth of medical marijuana to continue working. She feels betrayed by the FDA, her doctor and makers of vaginal mesh products.
Please read the rest of the story here and comment beneath the story so they know you are interested!
Star Tribune- Mesh Devices Wreck Lives, by Jim Spencer (here)