Welcome to Mesh News Desk September 2016

Image from foreclosure fraud

Image from foreclosure fraud

Welcome to Mesh News Desk, September 2016~ If you are new to the mesh mess you have come to the right place!

Mesh Medical Device News Desk has been focusing on news surrounding the pelvic mesh fiasco for five plus years now. This is a news and information site and is not supported by law firms or doctors. Any advertising is labelled as such. Your information is not shared with anyone unless you make such a request. Donations are accepted and appreciated.

There are now more than 100,000 product liability lawsuits filed in the U.S. by women who claim life-altering injuries from transvaginal pelvic mesh, a polypropylene (PP) mesh that is still used today to treat incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

There are thousands of other lawsuits filed by women overseas in Europe, the UK, Israel, Australia, Scotland, Canada, among other countries.

Soon the POP mesh will become a rarity because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reclassifying it to high-risk from a moderate risk medical device.   That will happen if its manufacturers fail to prove it is safe and effective, something now required post-market.  Even the FDA acknowledges the risks of POP mesh outweigh the benefits.

You may recall that in 2008, after thousands of reports of complications came into the FDA about pelvic mesh, the FDA declared mesh complications were “rare.”   By mid-2011 the FDA reversed that stance and said complications were “not rare.”

If you are one of the unlucky ones who has a complication, which can occur at any time, you may not agree that a pelvic mesh sling is the “Gold Standard” the term still used by some doctors to explain mesh slings.

Listen to Project Censored interview your editor recently.  They asked very good questions. Listen here.

What’s very disturbing is the doctors who have been advised not to use polypropylene mesh as a first-line repair, are still doing so.  We have been told by women recently implanted that doctors say things like “it’s not the same mesh,” or the troublesome mesh “has been recalled.”   Frankly, these things are not true. Besides manufacturers quietly removing some polypropylene mesh from the market for  “economic reasons,” most remain on the market.

Disintegrating J&J mesh, Sling the Mesh campaign

Disintegrating J&J mesh, Sling the Mesh campaign

See the story “Top 10 Myths Women are Told Today about Pelvic Mesh” Here

If you are told you need polypropylene mesh to correct prolapse or incontinence, you will need to direct your own medical care and be a truly informed consumer.  Please read this article on true informed consent.  The list is very long.  We hope these pages and the reader comments help you toward your education, especially comments from people who have been there.

For those of you considering having a pelvic mesh implant, or a hernia mesh implant for that matter, please ask your doctor if he or she knows how to do an alternative procedure using sutures or fascia harvested from your own body.

After a very long delay, this fall lawsuits should resume again, please keep an eye on the trial schedule, which changes frequently.

See the additional stories concerning talcum powder and ovarian cancer.  The links are very strong and the precautionary principle suggests you not use the talc for feminine hygiene.

womens health litigation logoMany of these stories that affect women are being incorporated into a new website by your editor in Women’s Health Litigation.   It’s still in the design stage, but it is important to learn what lies in legal documents before the court cases reveal to the public problematic products that affect our health.

As we know from experience, that vital information frequently takes too long to see the light of day.

Onward Friends!

Jane Akre, Editor,  Mesh News Desk, Women’s Health Litigation

1. Bejah Blue says:

Jane, Thank you for this very informative piece. It has valuable links that all should visit, especially those who have not yet been implanted. I would warn unscrupulous doctors who encourage patients to have this implant that they risk a lawsuit, reporting to the state medical board and loss of patients. We will expose you.

Jane I think there may be a couple of typos….in para 6 note that you say near bottom “has been recalled”. Should that read “has not been recalled”? Also, there is a place I can not find where you name an organization but it is not ilalicized or distinguished from the text around it and I wonder if that is acceptable.

I must say I can not for the life of me how a woman could use so much talcum powder that it could get up inside of her, especially to that degree. My gosh, we use it on our babies!

Bejah

Thank you…Women are being told by their doctors the problematic mesh “has been recalled” therefore giving them assurances that the FDA is on top of the situation. We know that is not true…!

• Bejah Blue says:

I still want to know how you felt about Big Sur one day. Bejah

Big Sur was scary. The folks who live there must be very interesting and hermits. It’s straight up and straight down. I’d like to go back and hike or stay somewhere nearby. The fires didn’t help but fortunately they were on the other side of the mountain range. Not fortunate for those who live there…..

• Bejah Blue says:

Wow, I am so sorry. That is not what I wanted for you. It is a windy two lane road and that keeps it pristine and remote. It is best negotiated in a real sports car with the top down. You must try again one day. It is a great treasure. Bejah

• K. Doro says:

Bejah—where you been girl? Don’t be so mean to Jane.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear K, I truly was not being “mean” to Jane. Ask her. I would never be mean to my sista! Thanks for the shout out though. You never know what may hurt someones feelings and I know now that love is all there is. John Lennon was right. Love ya’all, Bejah

2. K. Doro says:

Shout out to Jane. Yeah!!

3. Unknown says:

AMS

i saw on a webpage that my case had beed closed! I immediately emailed my lawyer and anyone from the firm that i had contact with. They informed me my case was not closed but suspended as the judge wants to get an idea of how many accepted the settlement. I did not. I cannot find proof of this any where. He said that there is anouther colum that does not show up and that is the suspended colume. I am so confused am i being lied too?

What does “suspended” mean? If you have not accepted the settlement, what is the status of your case? Can they answer that question?

• Unknown says:

Reread lawyers email

It was moved to inactive docket. Not suspended like i said.

That all cases that have a pending settlement be put on the suspended docket.

He is calling me this week we will see what he has to say but i think something is amiss here not sure what. It was a gut shot to read that tho.

Sorry still on meds from sixth and hopefully final surgery.

4. Unknown, were you able to talk with your attorney when you refused your settlement to find out what would happen next? It doesnt sound off for the cases with settlement offers to be put on hold. Each settlement agreement requires a certain percentage of plaintffs to take the settlment offer because if a defendant agrees to a settlement but only 30% or so take the offer then they have an large unknown about future litigation from the rest of those who refused to settle. Does that make sense?

5. Pat says:

I looked up my court case and it was “no records found ” for a couple of hours.I would imagine cases are being pulled and evaluated for settlements and/or trial.Anyone having a case in Judge Goodwin’s court in W.Va can go to http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov.Mid page under Multidistric Liigation,click on your case manufactuer,(Bard,AMS ,Ethicon,etc.) All 7 are listed.All motions,settlement info are iisted.Click on one that you want to read and you can read the document.Hope this help to help you find answers to questions any of you may have

• AP says:

Pat,
      I went to the website you mentioned and I could not find my case or anything pertaining to me. My implant (Ethicon) was done in 2008. I have had several surgeries and remain in therapy 5 days a week. so much more. I have only heard form my lawyers 3 or 4 times since I have been so sick.
      Is that the correct address for the W.VA court? Thanks

6. AP, were you given a case number by your attorney? Did you complete and sign a plaintiff fact sheet? The plaintiff fact sheet is quite detailed and lengthy and your law firm should have walked you through the entire thing. I know of several women who “hired” an attorney, yet dont have a case filed. One woman told me they were waiting to get to settlement talks before officially filing her case. It could be that your attorney sent a demand to defendant on your behalf without filing a case. I dont know how that can happen, but it does. i have seen it discussed on some legal info sites as well. Im just thinking outloud, but it could be that your attorney doesnt have the money to do all the filings, etc that need to be done, so they wait until they see a settlement on the horizon. You have a right to know what has happened and is happening with your case. If this is the case, then your attorney doesnt have to handle getting your medical records, arranging to have your explants examined and stored, schedule depositions or other things that are needed for case to be deemed trial ready. These can be costly and they have no guarantee that those upfront coast will bre recouped on your case. The good news is that you dont ring up lots of dollars in case costs, the bad news is that you dont have a case filed. Did you hire your attorney shortly after your 2008 implant or was it at a later time? If you filed in 2009 or so, 3 or 4 contacts with your attorney is not sufficient or ethical attorney/client communication. I also was implanted in 2008. Contact them, ask if your case has been filed. If not, ask why not. They better have a really good reason.

Still- you are so right. You deserve to know the status of your case and have a case number and know where its filed and check it out to verify it IS FILED. Please have your case numbers. The law firm will know you are serious.

• AP says:

SS, I appreciate your input, that said, my implant was in 2008 and following numerous problems I was in the process of seeking a lawyer when I was contacted by a legal firm from Houston, Texas. I have no idea how they had gotten my name and the specifics of my situation, none the less, they requested a laundry list of documents I was to send them. From 3 different surgeries all pertaining to the defective mesh, at that time I had in my possession 3 separate packages that I mailed to them on June 2nd 2015. Everything they requested, was sent to them. From the second of June up to this point in time I have contacted the law firm only to receive emails from 2 of their paralegal’s stating that they had no news to tell me; further, one of the paralegal’s made the comment that “no news is good news. I was not given a case number or anything else pertaining to what is going on with their request to take my “case”? I have no idea what is going on and I was very cooperative with the requests they made of me. My five surgeries have caused more harm than I deem necessary and I’m guessing that they are considering me too old to finish what they have started. I’ve also had a well known and respected lawyer tell me that one of the surgeries completed on me could be considered a “malpractice” issue. I happen to be 77 years old and look as though I am about 60. Many people, especially from my church cannot believe I am the age I am and drive a new Corvette when I am able. I truly could use some effective advice. I feel like the law firm I have is just going to allow time to pass and perhaps I will forget. With the pain I endure everyday; how am I supposed to forget, especially when facing another surgery in two weeks?

I suppose if you inquire about ending your relationship with them they might take notice…..what happens when you ask for a contact person? For their 40 percent they need to give better one on one service in my opinion…

• AP says:

Jane, I’m not up on the legal jargon for these type matters; I’ve never had to retain a lawyer, that said, could you explain a “contact person”? I appreciate your help. Thank you

• AP says:

Thank you for your comment .
          I sent my email to my legal team early this morning. it’s nearly 11pm and I have yet to receive a response from them? I do not understand their lack of communicating a response back to me. I’m aware that they have received the packet I sent via registered mail, its like they are totally ignoring me.?
          Safe travels!