Welcome to Mesh News Desk, June 2016

poWhat’s happening in June with Mesh News Desk!

Welcome to Mesh News Desk (MND), also known as Mesh Medical Device News Desk. For five years, MND has been covering the issue of pelvic mesh and will continue to do so until it is on the front page of every newspaper, every day. That’s where it belongs!

We’ve never seen such an important story that was ignored by mainstream media with hundreds of thousands of women, men and families adversely affected by a little “gold standard” medical device intended to fix a largely inconvenient condition of incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Please check out our friend (not advertiser), Whole Woman, for alternative treatments to prolapse and incontinence here.

While trials against Johnson & Johnson will begin this summer in Charleston, WV  and Philadelphia, PA, we have a couple of state Attorneys General offices who have just filed lawsuits against J&J for fraudulently marketing their defective products to residents of California and Washington State.

If you live in Kentucky, the Attorney General, Andy Beshear, would like to hear from you. Main switchboard 502-696-5300, http://ag.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx

One woman began the Washington State complaint four years ago and MND News Desk and Corporate Action Network alerted various AG offices in a nationwide effort to bring awareness to the misdeeds of seven mesh manufacturers. We understand 46 AGs are looking into similar actions.chronic pain

Mesh settlements have been largely disappointing.  The latest company to add insult to injury is Caldera which is offering women about $1,500 after legal fees. Complicating the issue is that women have been told to keep quiet so their individual case is not compromised in the settlement process. Meanwhile, attorneys will collect their 40% and the woman, for the most part, walks away with less than the law firm, even the law firm that just shuffled her case to another.

For that she has given up her voice AND signs a nondisclosure agreement that she can never speak up. “Samantha” is opting out of the Caldera limited settlement. Please follow her story here.

Prolene mesh

Prolene mesh

For those of who are newly implanted and wondering if it could happen to you, or if you are beginning to have complications, I’m sorry.  Doctors are still telling women, “It’s different mesh,” or “The bad mesh has been recalled.”  Unfortunately this is not true.  Ask if it’s polypropylene or a composite with polypropylene. Ask to see the recall notice. Your doctor will likely sense you are trouble and show you the door.

See the story “Top 10 Myths Women are Told Today about Pelvic Mesh” here.

Don’t hesitate to use the legal evaluation link on page one of Mesh News Desk to find a lawyer who is still taking cases since many are not.

We are still taking reports of autoimmune complications and please fill out those forms if you have developed Lupus, fibromyalgia, joint aches, pains, rashes, brain fog, tooth loss. Scientists will be evaluating the autoimmune issues very soon and we will announce that when it is official. Hope’s autoimmune registry is here.

MND is also attempting to get lawyers interested in complications from hernia mesh.  If you are a law firm taking those cases, please reach out here so we can put you on our radar!

Please use the Search Bar to explore any topic mesh-related. There are more than 700 stories posted over the last five years. You can also click on the Legal or Medical category title to see what has been filed under that category.

Gay and Linda at J&J meeting

J&J Shareholders meeting. Injured speak truth to CEO

News on Mesh News Desk is not intended to substitute for information from lawyers and doctors. It’s founder is a journalist who is NOT mesh injured, however the community of injured is really awesome!  Many women find relief just knowing they are not alone and learning from each other! There are some smart women here and we welcome your essays, opinions, contributions in any form. Ask a question to those who are on the Facebook site. Thank you for those who have written (you can do so anonymously).

Jane Akre, editor, Mesh News Desk

Jane Akre, editor, Mesh News Desk

Please refrain from using your actual name and posting any confidential information you receive from your law firm.  It could negate the settlement agreement you may have signed.

Please sign up for the Mesh Newsletter (here) to keep you up on the latest here and thank you goes out to the many supporters who help bring light to mesh injuries of all kinds.  Your generous support makes this effort possible.

Jane Akre
Editor, Mesh News Desk

1. cybil says:

“It’s difficult to put into words the horrific injuries …. many women are still suffering as a result of Johnson & Johnson’s deception,” Ferguson said. “They believed they were making informed medical decisions, but that was impossible when Johnson & Johnson was spreading inaccurate information about its products’ risks, essentially duping doctors into using their own patients as clinical trials. This is an unacceptable way of doing business, and I will hold the company accountable.”
    Watch the movie “Side Effects” with
    Jude Law as a doctor that was duped by the drug manufacturer into prescribing a new drug. The core story lies with Jude Law accepting a clinical trial drug for $50,000 payment.. And, when all goes wrong with the drug he loses everything – his practice, his standing with the manufacturer, his wife and son!

2. sharon f says:

I had my first mesh for SUI in 2008. 2010 I started having pain with sex, not uncomfortable, pain. Then my sui started up worse then at first, I had fibro for a few years, but was not so every day getting worse. I now have gout, osteoarthis, extreme lower abd pain I feel at this moment no hope. Now I have to see a bladder cancer Dr. all the infections I have had since 2008ca cause bladder cancer. The big companies are holding out and dismissing our mesh related problems. If they are not mesh related, why do so many have these same health problems. WHEN WILL WE GET OUR ANWSERS?

3. BRENDA B says:

I THINK THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL BENEFIT FROM OUR PAIN AND SUFFERING IS THE LAWYERS,THEY NEED TO BE ASHAMED .BUT LIKE ALLL OF THEM IT IS THEIR LIVELY HOOD,IT MUST BE NICE TO HAVE ONE .

4. Bejah Blue says:

Again Hope’s column seems closed to comments so I will put my little blurb here on possible medical developments. I just had bloodwork done. They now want to do more and imaging of kidneys and liver. Said there is something wrong with my liver. There are all sorts of benign little growns possible on the liver so no point in worrying yet about that, but glucose is high and that is something new. Need more data but lots of concerning connections possible. Dr. (and he is a really good primary, one that doctors see themselves!) told me to start taking 1200 fish oil twice a day starting NOW. Any idea why, any theories? We have no history of Diabetes in my bloodlines ever BTW. A mystery at present. Here we go again. BTW I discovered something out of desperation that helps with the dreaded Vulvodynia….spray Anti-Bacteria treatment. Using LANACANE. Pace at last! Bejah

Sorry Bejah. I keep reposting it because I”ve not found out how to open up the comments to an endless and it keeps filling up…. so if you dont see old comments, they are still there in an earlier version, not to worry. ….. I just got a call from a woman who likes Ultimaxx Health product called Levare. she says it helps with her Prolift pain! Just FYI!!

5. Bejah Blue says:

Still can not access Hope’s page! Bad timing on my part (Sort of like my habit of always trying to call people in what turns out to be lunch time!). A couple of thoughts: (1) I think I mentioned before that in terms of what is really useful to research scientists, if one’s noted symptoms have not been actually diagnosed by a licensed physician they should be noted as such and will sadly not be as helpful but are still valuable. (2) If the data is not organized well it is not going to be as useful. How are we organizing this data and can we look at it? We need to be able to track the data back to the source so have blind tracking codes to ID reporting parties. Are we doing this? I just looked at Hope’s page and there are only twelve comments and it is closed. This is not as it should be.

Thanks SS for your comment…I know. Part of me does not care anymore, I am tired of it all, weary, but the black and blue seems to have stopped for now and I had to postpone cardiologist because I was so unbelieveably tired I could not go. Now this elevated blood sugar issue had raised other questions. Waiting to hear from the hospital about additional tests. What are they waiting for???? My anxiety higher! I am finding possible links in the literature. Looks like I will need to make some medication changes. Always check these things yourself also, there are websites where you can do this, just double check. Last year I found an error that caused me to have what I will call an out of body experience, a contraindicated drug combination that in theory could have killed me. This time I called the Dr. and left word of the contraindication (Different class of drugs) and told him that until I came in I was going to start cutting back and if he did not agree he should call me. He did not call. I see him soon. Be a partner in your health care, be involved, double check. I am still alive and kicking (Well maybe not kicking so much these days!). Bejah

I will have an announcement soon on the autoimmune registry..stay tuned! Also still trying to open up that comment boxes… I just refile to story….. but seriously stay tuned. Bejah if you would like to submit your autoimmune issues to me that occurred after the mesh I will make sure they get in, Promise.

6. Mark E says:

I think we have to come to realization that because Johnson & Johnson and half of these companies have big pockets they can appeal and appeal and appeal and we probably will never see a dime at least not in this lifetime it’s sad and disgusting watching my wife suffer with vaginal pain everyday and several surgeries and if you do receive money by time the lawyer fees the doctors the loans everybody will probably end up with squat wish somebody can get on one of them talk shows like Steve Harvey to publicize it more on TV I feel so bad and my heart goes out to you women sincerely a husband who cares haven’t had relations in 6 years and I hear some of these heartbreaking stories that men have left their fiancés wives and girlfriends I could never do that to her if this is not her fault God bless

7. jan says:

This is all so sad that these manufacturers can not settle these cases any faster..
    I have been filed since 09 still nothing. Went on MDL for Boston scientific They have nothing on the docket for this year in WV. Why is that. This is putting it further back.. I guess it’s like the baby powder cases, if we die the family can get there case’s settled faster than being alive.
    Waiting 7/8 r more years for JUSTICE is not right in our country SHAME