Transvaginal Mesh Trials so Far: Winners and Losers

judge-mallet-200Mesh Medical Device News Desk, November 3, 2016 ~ What is the outcome so far from the 32 trials that have put the issues of transvaginal mesh injuries before juries or about to be before a jury?

Since July 2012, there have been 33 cases that have gone to trial or settled just before trial.

So far Defendant mesh manufacturers have won six trials although one, Albright, will receive a new trial date because pertinent information was left out of the trial. In the remainder of the cases (19), juries have awarded compensatory and punitive damages to the Plaintiff. Additionally eight cases have settled prior to trial or  before the case went to the jury, with the undisclosed amount of settlement dollars offered to the Plaintiff by the Defendant.

This is information that financial consultants and accountants take into account when weighing the strategy of continuing to fight mesh-injured women at trial.

It’s fair to say that the majority of juries listen to the evidence from both sides and overwhelmingly decided not only that the woman deserved compensation for her medical bills and her pain and suffering, but that the manufacturer should be punished for its actions in the form of punitive damages.

Here are the Transvaginal Mesh Cases so far:

1. 7/12: $5.5 million – Christine Scott – C.R. Bard Avaulta Plus –  CA
  2. 2/13: $11.11 million – Linda Gross – Ethicon/JJ Prolift – NJ
  3. 8/13: $2 million – Donna Cisson – C.R. Bard Avaulta – MDL WV
  4. 8/13: Settled Wanda Queen v. C.R. Bard – Avaulta Solo MDL, WV
  5. 2/14: $0 – Carolyn Lewis – Ethicon/JJ TVT-O – MDL WV
  6. 4/14: $1.2 million – Linda Batiste – Ethicon/JJ TVT-O  – TX
  7. 5/14: Settled C. Schubert v Ethicon, Prolift    MO
  8. 5/14: Settled – S Wilkins Gynecare TVT Secur   -MO
  9. 7/14: $0 – Diane Albright – Boston Scientific Pinnacle – MA, will win new trial
  10. 8/14: $0 – Maria Cardenas – Boston Scientific Obtryx – MA
  11. 9/14: $3.27 million – Jo Huskey – Ethicon/JJ TVT-O – MDL WV
  12. 9/14: $73.465 million – Martha Salazar – Boston Scientific Obtryx – TX
  13. 11/14: $6.7+ million – Amal Eghnayem – Boston Scientific Pinnacle – MDL FL
  14. 11/14: $6.7+ million – Margarita Dotres – Boston Scientific Pinnacle – MDL FL
  15. 11/14: $6.7+ million – Mania Nunez – Boston Scientific Pinnacle – MDL FL
  16. 11/14: $6.5+ million – Juana Betancourt – Boston Scientific Pinnacle – MDL FL
  17. 11/14: $5.25 million – Jeanie Blankenship – Boston Scientific Obtryx –  MDL WV
  18. 11/14: $4.75 million – Chris Wilson – Boston Scientific Obtryx – MDL
  19. 11/14: $4.25 million – Carol Campbell – Boston Scientific Obtryx – MDL
  20. 11/14: $4.25 million – Jacquelyn Tyree – Boston Scientific Obtryx – MDL
  21. 1/15: Settled – Joan Budke, Ethicon Prolift trial, wrongful death – MO
  22. 2/15: Settled – Wise v. Bard in the MDL
  23. 3/15: Settled  – Bellew v. Ethicon (Prolift) – MDL
  24. 5/15: Settled – Sanchez v. Boston Scientific (Pinnacle) – CA
  25. 3/15: $5.7 million – Coleen Perry – Ethicon/JJ Abbrevo sling – CA
  26. 5/15: $100 million – Deborah Barba v. Boston Scientific Pinnacle and Advantage Fit – DL
  27. 10/15: $0 – Carol Cavness v. Ethicon/JJ Prosima –  TX
  28. 10/15: $0 – Martha Carlson v. Boston Scientific Uphold – Statesville, NC
  29. 12/15: $12.5 million – Hammons v. Ethicon/JJ (Prolift) –  PA
  30. 2/16: $0 – Sherrer v. Boston Scientific Solyx and Bard Align – MO
  31. 2/16: $13.5 – Carlino v. Ethicon/JJ (TVT)  – PA
  32. 2/16: $4.4 million – Taylor V Mentor OB Tape TVT-O Sling – GA
  33. 9/16: Settled – Figueroa v Boston Sci  Solyx SIS System – Dallas

19- Trials decided for Plaintiff

6 – Trials decided for Defendant

8- Cases Settled

1. D says:

Appears to be a crapt shoot

2. W says:

How many have actually gotten money, very few, very slow process, appeals sit forever.

3. Pat says:

Jane,new orders for NJ court for Ethicon regarding trials posted yesterday

• B says:

How did you find this info??? I know my case number was told in Sept that they are getting the offer ready… haven’t heard nothing

The links are within the story. OR go to So district of WV and click on your mesh manufacturer. Then go to numerical cases and put your name in the Search Bar in the upper right using Plaintiff as the search term.

4. Sea says:

Thanks Jane for the update ….

5. Cheryl says:

I want to truly die, I’ve had sle lupus x 8 years, it took my life and my sons I’m tired sick and mesh still in me where ? Who the hell knows it’s free floating by brand new hip god bless us all, the ones that have won should demand money for all, imagine 5% from every prouct sold ..I lost at all this is not hope

If you let us know where you are, sounds like you could use some understanding from others who are mesh injured. I’m sorry.

6. Teresa says:

I’ve been fighting with mesh for yrs.lost marriage of 18yrs.can’t do anything cause of pain yes this life sucks cause but im not giving up

7. Diva 64 says:

Jane it seems unreal to see a figure of
    zero dollars next to any mesh patients name that had a court case. I really don’t understand this. Yes I can imagine a mesh victim ending up with a lot of doctors who have done nothing for them, but still the mesh patient had problems and sought help. Was mutilated, has no doubt suffered a great deal of pain, and been very ill, How does one end up awarded nothing ? I hope those ladies can appeal.

Yes they can appeal and do. In one case, a new trial was ordered after it was concluded that essential information was left out of the case that jurors deserved to hear. Much of the defense wins might be due on what jurors were NOT allowed to hear. In one case (Lewis) J&J asked for and received a directed verdict by the judge in their favor. Judge Goodwin didn’t feel her lawyers had met the burden of proof.

8. Anon says:

Jurors of our peers get it!

9. me says:

Just got a call from some law firm trying to settle my AMS case that had been dropped by lawyer for not accepting a ridiculously low offer. They tried to convenience me that nothing was better than nothing. They think we don’t know the truth about the lawyers and insurance companies receiving the majority of the settlement. I was offered $200500. After I did the math( lawyer 40% +fees and court cost, insurance companies cost of surgeries) there was nothing left to pay my past medical or future medical bills. There is always going to be a continuing expense to take care of the condition I was left in due to mesh. I lost my job. My husband passed away due to the stress of my health. But they want me to settle so they can get paid with no regard for the suffering mesh has left in its wake. Thank you Jane for putting the truth out there.

10. Anon says:

When are we going to see payment from BSc, after signing settlement papers. It says that claims are submitted quarterly, and BSc will make payments quarterly Nov 1, Dec 1, March 1, June 1, liens cleared.. So please explain hold up. Attorney no help..there are several of us wanting to know when. Though we settled to just end this, and get out why are we still having to wait.

• Still Standing says:

When did you sign your settlement papers? Several things have to be done after your attorney receives your signed documents. First, your attorney has to deliver an agreed on percentage of clients who agree to settlement. Then, defendant will release money to your attorney via the qualified settlement fund set up by the court? Then, there are accounting procedures your attorney will need to do, then your attorney will cut you the first check. It could take several months or more for all of this to get done. They can not tell you when the check will be in the mail. It is just another wait process. It could be a year before you receive the last check, which is 25% of gross less lien payments. Your case costs will come out of the first payment you receive. I hope this helps. It can be frustrating.

11. Rebecca says:

I have been contacted by a firm telling me that the deadline for filing AMS settlements O’s Bobber 31st? Regardless of who my attorney is? What is going on?

• Still Standing says:

Rebecca, you are being solicited improperly. You should get their firm name and number and report them to the attorney general in your state.

12. Robin says:

How can some win $73m and $100m and some $0. Seems like us that have been waiting for years will get 0? Will there be any money left after the others have went before us? I wish each state would take our trials in our own states. Hell we could die waiting on our trial to come up???

13. Sheree says:

I signed papers back on May 18 for Coloplast. What is the holdup?

14. mary says:

Jane, I signed the settlement in
    August. 2016 for B.S There one thing I’m
    concerned about and the lawyers office said they needed my address and I have been with this Lawyer for 3.5 years. should I call them every three months or every 6n months. I need surgery. I could die before I get the money thanks Mary

Honestly, just my opinion but if I needed surgery immediately, I’d put niceties behind and become the squeaky wheel….

• Still Standing says:

How the hell did they send your settlement documents if they did not have your address? Something doesnt add up there at all. Four months should be adequate time to settle up the records and issue the first check. Of course, call them now and express concern. The only thing I can think of is that they have a different group covering the settlement process, but them not knowing your address blows my mind.

15. Vickie says:

What cases are being settled with Boston Scientific?