Medical Compensation – When A Caller Asks If You’ve Had a Bladder Sling

Caller, On Hold Webstore

Caller, On Hold Webstore

MND, July 27, 2015 ~ Sometimes one can actually find humor in this mesh mess.  Easy for me to say, I’m not injured.

But let me share this with you – the ultimate irony. Frankly, I couldn’t believe my ears.

Late last week I got a call from “Patrick.”  He had an Indian accent. Patrick said he was with Medical Compensation Services.

“You might be able to get compensation at no cost to you,” he said, if I had received a bladder sling.

“Did you get one of those?”

Is this a joke, I thought.  Who is this?

What law firm do you work for? I asked.

No, I don’t work for a law firm, he insisted. Patrick said he was with Medical Compensation Services.

Caller, Telegraph UK

Caller, Telegraph UK

Instead, he said, paralegals could take my information. Did I get a bladder sling?

I said, “I don’t give any information to someone I don’t know,” suspecting this might be some sort of set up.  I could hear it now, “Now she’s claiming to be mesh injured for money,” some detractors could claim.

I said I was busy now and I asked for his name and number and where he was located.

Clearwater, Florida, he said. The number was 727-242-2163.  That is a Clearwater exchange.

Looking up the Division of Corporations in Florida. There is no Medical Compensation Services listed as a Florida corporation. I found Compensation Services Inc. in Clermont, Fl. which provided career development and human resources services.

Caller, what's On TV. UK

Caller, what’s On TV. UK

But I did find that medical compensation calls are very common (here) and occur around the country. Only one person here was asked about bladder surgery.

Upon calling back later, I was surprised that Patrick answered.  “It’s a class action lawsuit,” he said sounding excited.

“Did you get one?” he asked again about my alleged bladder sling.

Again I was careful not to confirm – where did you get that information? I asked.

“A family member,” he said. “Someone from your family had that information that you have undergone surgery. Is that correct?”

“I’m not sure who would have called you with that information,” I replied fishing for clues. Unofficially I recently heard a urogynecologist complain he had received calls to his office looking for women who had undergone mesh surgery.   I also recently talked to a women who said someone called her from the 727 area code asking about her bladder surgery.  She too didn’t know where he had gotten her number.

“I’m trying to help people,” Patrick repeated.

So, I asked Patrick, “If you had the bladder sling do you have to have complications? What if you had no complications?”

“No problem,” said Patrick.

Calls, History of Pad Parties. com

Calls, History of Pad Parties. com

“To get compensation you have to have side effects,” he repeated. “You’re able to get compensation at no cost,” he repeated again how I could benefit from my alleged bladder sling operation.

Again Patrick tries – did I have surgery? Which year, he asked.

“I didn’t say I had surgery,” I replied.

Before we parted Patrick asked “Does any person in your family have mesothelioma?”

No, I said.

“No problem,” said Patrick. #

1. anonymous says:

That is the one thing that I’m learning and finding very frustrating everybody wants part of our settlement everybody wants to be part of our injury and yet it seems that there is no sympathy for how badly some of us are hurt permanent catastrophic injuries and the settlements are sad. I feel like a pile of poop and all the flies are eating off of me

• Barb says:

Try to cheer up Anonymous!! Whenever we get our settlements and let me guess you have JNJ?? It’s funny how the media is not so quick to write and tell the world about how serious our issues are however when a settlement is reached such as the 4 woman in Florida who received 6.5-6.7 million they jump and expose our names, the woman and husband who awarded 5.5 mill, the woman who just awarded 100 million even though all I believe are under appeal the media prints the names, how much was awarded and what damages I hope they don’t expose us!! We all deserve the money and yes people will be coming out of the walls with handsout. My plan is no one will know what I get!! And when our settlement offer’s are made if not what we feel is justice then all fury will break!! Stay positive my friend!!

2. Ronald James says:

My mother has had about 6 of these calls claiming they are with the law firm, that’s how he put it, and the guy has an Indian accent also. He wanted information from my mother and she hands me the phone and I grill the guy. He says he’s a paralegal too. I hang up call her lawyer and they swear nobody from their firm would call like that asking to go over things that have already been documented. Be very careful. These people are probably working with the mesh companies.

• Barb says:

This sounds like a phone call I got 2 weeks ago he didn’t say he was a paralegal he said he worked for a company who loan woman money to get by until they get a settlement. He wanted me to reveal my credit score I said I’m not interested he said that’s ok I know your financially in dept and we can help you so your not worried about your bills! He first started the convo with we can help you with your credit card dept I said I don’t have any credit cards! Then I asked him how he got my number and why was he calling he said we know you have mesh so we are here to help! I said no I don’t he insisted I did he said I’m on the list he wanted my credit score and bank name account and routing number I refused he said we can wire money to your account and the other thing from you we need your credit score and social security card number I did not give out any information and hung out!!

3. lydia says:

I believe without any doubt that each and every one of these manufacturers of mesh kits is in violation of the Nuremberg code.

YES, Lana, they are CRIMINALS, jointly and individually, and every ONE of their employees, researchers, marketers who were willfully involved are GUILTY of not informing implanting doctors of their INTENTIONAL violation of human rights!

“The Nuremberg code includes such principles as informed consent and absence of coercion; properly formulated scientific experimentation; and beneficence towards experiment participants.”

Thank you for sharing. That is talked about in the book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Lacks had her cervical cells harvested without her knowledge by Johns Hopkins. It was used to grow cultures and in scientific experiments around the globe but her relatives couldn’t afford medical insurance. They received no compensation and didn’t even know until a reporter uncovered the story. Great book…..

4. anna says:

I just got a letter from from UCLA stating that my medical information was one of many being investigated for cyberattack.

As you could see it is very easy for other to know your medical history, to use it for inappropriate reasons . That does not mean that the true victims, cannot get the compensation they deserve. I’ am sure the master of this cases, will be able to determine the suspicious cases, and will comb each case thoroughly.

5. kitty says:

I also got the letter. Who is looking at our records?

6. Michelle says:

I get calls like this at least once a week- I just let them go to voicemail. Really irritates me that these hangers-on will be dipping their greedy fingers in a pot that is already way too small.

7. Anonymous Anonymous says:

That’s unreal that these files have been broken into I to had my surgery at UCLA I remember a while back a lady called asking for us to send information saying she was from our lawyers law firm which didn’t make sense as they had the information already it didn’t feel right.I sent an email to our lawyer telling him about the call and sure enough this person did not work there it’s unfortunate there are scumbags out there doing this take care ladies.

8. kitty says:

It seems obvious who is doing the hacking ALSO received a letter several months ago from Anthem Blue Cross that my files were hacked.

My first thought was Obama. BUT I’m not so sure now.

9. Anonymous says:

My literal insurance company sent me numerous email inquiring about Mesh complications. I ignored all the letters. I was so mad they invaded my privacy in this manner. I felt violated. Finally…a letter from them said they could help me get in touch with someone. (An attorney) They finally quit.

10. Anonymous says:

CORRECTION: my health insurance company sent snail mails. I mistyped e-mails.

11. Wendy says:

Is anyone on here a victim of BSC?? I am and am soooo frustrated, angry, confused and absolutely hopeless right now. 🙁

My husband is thinking of filing for divorce because I am not the same person “he married.” I’m in constant pain, can’t work, sleep, exercise or even stand, sit or walk for any certain length of time. I literally have to sit in the bathroom for about 30 minutes to pee by constantly readjusting my position etc… I’m so tired of the pain I just can’t stand it anymore. I have already had one ex plant & revision surgery and, still require another one. I also have had another pelvic prolapse just about a week and a half ago. I found a Urogynecologist that specializes in this area… My insurance company declined the “in network acceptance” for me to have this surgery I NEED to remove the rest of my uphold mesh and the mesh sling and, now the recent (2nd prolapse.)

I really feel as though I am going to go crazy and that I have lost my mind. My “adult children” 22,23 & 26 have lost all respect for me, my husband wants to leave me and it’s all because I am soooo inundated with such severe pain that I just tend to seclude myself. I’m the type of person that just doesn’t want to be around people when I’m hurting so, they all think I just don’t want anything to do with them. Also since I am unable to work my husband has to work 2 jobs and is so stressed out and angry that it seems he just can’t even stand me. My life has been turned upside down. I was only 40 when all this started. It’s been 5 years of pain, Dr.’s, medications, accusations of just being lazy ETC… I used to be a very hard working active woman with an actual social life as well as a relationship with my husband that is now “gone.” He thinks I just don’t want him. We have not had an intimate relationship in so long I can’t even remove the last time we had sex. The pain is entirely too unbearable and causes me to bleed and I end up in bed for days. I literally sleep with two heating pads every night. One under my back and one on my abdomen just for a little relief to be able to sleep along with the medication I have to take to knock me out to sleep at all. I literally just can’t take this anymore. I feel as though I just want to ram myself into a cynderblock wall. Even if I just go to the grocery store I am crying from excruciating pain on the way home. No one understands. When people look at me they say “well, you LOOK fine to me.” They can’t FEEL what I’m feeling and get angry with me because I am unable to be who I used to be and do what I used to do.

I was so excited when I found this Dr. And he said he could help me. I thought there was finally a light of hope to be fixed and go back to being who I used to be. When I got the news today that my Ins. Would not accept him as “in network” I just cried. Now I can’t afford to have the surgery that I so desperately need. The other two specialists I’ve gone to said they wouldn’t even try. That with the damage that has been done, they couldn’t help me.

I just don’t even know what to do. The Ins. Company said that there are other Dr.’s in network that could do the surgery that I need. I am scared to death to trust anyone else. The Dr. I found is one of the best in Uyrogynecology in the world and has had the training and expert once with success. I don’t want to just trust any Dr. After what I’ve already been through. It literally scares the hell out if me.

I just can’t take this pain anymore…. I’m only 45 now and have 3 Grandchildren that I would like to be able to enjoy and play with.

Is there anyone out there that understands what I’m feeling, thinking or talking about?

I’m just feeling so hopeless right now. 🙁

• anonymous says:

Yes honey I know exactly how you feel I have been through what you’ve been through the only thing I was able to have some surgery but I had to get in debt to family I lost my family I lost my husband I’ve lost my job I’ll never be able to work again I’m in constant pain I can’t even walk more than a half a mile at a time I’ve lost everything I understand about wanting to run yourself into a cinder block I don’t know what to tell you because I don’t know the answer all I know somehow someway we just gotta learn to fight through this there are days I don’t want to go through the day I pray to God to please come take me life is just an endless stretch of meaningless days all I can hope and pray is it somehow somewhere there is some common sense as to my settlement so that I can get the equipment that I need to help me do the medical treatments I need help me and just try to live the best I can without becoming indignant you see I was a hard working person raised my sons always on the go now I just sit here and wait wait for the pain to go away wait for someone to come visit me wait for something to do wait wait wait I don’t even know if I’ll live to see a settlement but you’re right they have destroyed our lives the sad part time is other than for women like you no one understands it and no one really cares they just want us to shut up and go away I was also told by a doctor of physical therapist and a couple other people that we are the pioneers Impre dental nerve damage this is a rare injury at least before mesh history and dr. Books will be written about us and what they learned that’s the problem no one knows how to help us no one even knows that there is an answer to helping us we will suffer FOREVER sorry honey but that’s the truth hang on to God its going to be a bumpy ride

12. anonymous says:

Pioneers in Pudendal nerve damage

13. Still Standing says:

Wendy. I have watched this website for a while and think it is such a valuable resource. However, I have not felt compelled to comment until tonight when I read your post and my heart broke for you. I have been there and still revisit that hopeless place more often than I would like. Yes, Wendy, there are many of us who can understand how you feel, yet not fully know your personal pain. I had two implants at the same time more than seven years ago and have had five additional surgeries and multiple “procedures”. I remember telling my doctor that I could not think one second beyond my pain and that I didn’t want to die, but I couldn’t live another day with the pain. There is a vast difference between wanting to die and not wanting to live.

There are several things I want to put out for your consideration. First, you have the right to appeal your insurance carrier’s decision. All of them have a path to appeal. If you can have your new urogynecologist write a letter, that might be helpful. Also, would your new doctor agree to reimbursement in line with the in network providers? Don’t give up on this until you have uncovered every rock. Plus, it will give you some focus and a feeling of being in control. I think that was the hardest thing to deal with…seeing my life spiral so out of control.

All of this pain not only changes how you feel physically, but chronic pain actually changes your brain. Cortisol , the stress hormone, goes through the roof while oxytocin, the “feel good” hormone is suppressed. Over time, pain actually impacts the white matter of your brain. This impacts your more advanced cognitive thinking skills, which reduces your ability to make wise decisions, or any decisions for that matter. It is important to learn some ways to self sooth, even and especially when you are going to your hopeless place.

Next, personal relationships are often destroyed when you have pain. The fact that you seclude yourself is a common experience for those with pain, and I did it to the max. I didn’t answer the phone, the door. The thought of having a conversation with anyone was more than I could handle. I could not make eye contact and don’t think I even looked at myself in the mirror for a couple of years. That is what wounded animals do, so it is a normal response,yet we are “wired” to be social creatures and circling the wagons on ourselves is counterproductive. My children were adults as well, and I absolutely did not want to reveal to them how bad things were, so I did quite a bit of “pretending” when they were around. Then, I would feel hurt when they did not respond with an understanding of my pain. I had spent many years teaching them to be compassionate, yet I would not let them in to see my vulnerabilities at all. You can’t change anyone but yourself, but in doing so, you change how others respond to you. Letting your children into that part of you is hard, but you might be surprised at their response to you. By the book by Brene Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection”. It is a wonderful book and can help you come to terms with your “less than” self.

I found that I was always wanting to go back to my before surgery self or transport myself into a future where I had my life back. It was hard to decide to get to know my present self, my damaged and altered, incomplete self. I definitely could not be the wife I thought I should be, the mother and grandmother I wanted to be, the loyal and always “there” friend I had been, the community volunteer that nourished me. But, I eventually discovered that I could, with intention, shove the pain away for periods of time to find a way to live my life, not how I wanted it to be, but how it is. That is a hard reality to accept, but it is what allowed me to crawl out of the hole, find my “tribe”….those people who can hear and hold your story (these may be people entirely different from your old social group.)

I am now a pain management teacher for a hospital. No, I can’t work full time and I have pain most days, but I can be my authentic , vulnerable self and that resonates with my patients. Connecting with others who have pain, people who you don’t have to explain why you hurt, where your hurt, or how much you hurt is so important.

It seems that many women with mesh pain develop hypertonic pelvic muscles and myofascial pain. This can be the cause of much of your pain. We hurt, we brace, muscles tense and get shorter, then we brace more. Pretty soon, we are tilted over. I will be glad to share some of the techniques that I find helpful if you are interested. I will give Jane permission to give you my email if you want to chat more.

I have written to much, but Wendy, know that you are in my heart. I Have heard your story and while I can’t tell you that there is a magic bullet that will take away your pain, I can tell you that with some hard emotional and physical work, you can have some good days. I took my granddaughter to the state fair today, something that I could not have imagined several years ago when I was where you are now. I wasn’t pain free, but I was ok and the joy I had was more than my pain. Tomorrow will be a major self care day but that’s ok, too. A bad day tomorrow doesn’t mean that today with my granddaughter wasn’t joyful.

I hope we can communicate more. You matter and you are worthy of being cared about just as you are today.

You have not written enough. A pain management teacher for a hospital…. many women could use your sage advice. If you’d like to write more, even anonymously, please contact me janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com or write away! Thank you.

• anonymous says:

Still standing I would love to know have to gave good days even PT is making my flare ups worse and I have no good days

14. Still Standing says:

Hi anonymous. It is normal for PT to flare you up as they work those internal, tight muscles. Be sure to do work at home too. A dilator can help as well. You can lie down and put it in. You will have to relax enough that it just doesn’t pop out because you are so hypertonic., I odered mine on the Internet.it you leave it in for a while,( about 30minutes.) your muscles will go into spasms first to get the darn thing out, but eventually the muscles relax around it and they get tired and settled down.

As far as the good days go, you are already inspired to have good days so you have the mindset

potential for good days? That is the first step—to be curious and hopeful.,Jane and I are working on having my pain information in kind of an online class where I can post the class info and then we all can discuss it. It is heavy on practical ways to ease your suffering. Stay tuned! It can be transformational.

15. anonymous says:

Thank you dear I pray for good days and there so few apart and like I said if you try to do anything at all that I have spasms and I can’t move all I can do is lay down and try to have them go away I’ve learned to stop crying about it because all that does is make me feel worse its been too many years of straight pain I’ve tried everything so any information you can give me on how to get rid of this buttocks groin and pelvic pain you name it I’ve got it right now it’s awful

16. Bejah B says:

Still Standing wrote earlier in August of the impact of pain on the whole of the body and spirit, mentioning the impact on the white matter in the brain. I learned a few years ago that the white matter can atrophy, that neurons can shrivel and die beause of the impact not only of pain but also of all manner of abuse, I suspect not only when it is chronic. At that time I began to take large amounts of Vit. B12 and I know it has helped. I believe it helps with Neuropathy and with nerve issues throughout the body. I take this and B Complex and Vit. D in addition to a good multi-vitiman and would be inclined to encourage other victims to investigate the effects of pain and abuse (The failing marriage, the reactions of relatives and former friends and others who hurt us, etc.) on the nervous system and the brain and then consider supplements and vitimans that may help. There was a time when I would have suggested one consult their physician about this but I can no longer do that due to the lack of trust generally. I hope that Still Standing agrees with this at least in principal. After being diagnosed with this brain atrophy I was scheduled for MRIs of the brain every six months for two years after that. Now the “picture” is more encouraging and I believe it is in large part due to the additional vitamins.

Bejah

PS StillStanding would love to hear more from you if you have the time and energy. Thanks for your treasured contributions.

• Still Standing says:

I’m sorry I can’t agree with your conclusions, yet I respect your right to make them. It appears that we gather information in different ways. I attempt to have my views based on current scientific research. This is an important distinction since, had the mesh been subjected to longitudinal randomized controlled research investigation before being approved, we wouldn’t need to be on this site. Brain science evolves constantly, but current accepted theory sees the brain as having plasticity and that new neural circuits can be established throughout life even though as we age our brains do shrink somewhat. It is true that some neurons “die” but since we are born with billions of potential neural connections, the brain prunes unused neurons. This is biologically normal process throughout life, not normally the result of pain and trauma. The widespread death of neural circuits appears in Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s, but for most of us, we have the ability to establish new neural circuits throughout our lives. The more these circuits are “fired”, they become myelinated, and transfer information faster. They become our default mode.. This is evident in people who have had a stroke, who learn how to use a different hand to write, or relearn speech. It is also an important fact for pain management…that, with intention and practice, we can fire different neurotransmitters and change how we respond to pain. Old physical or emotional habits can be changed with consistent and intentional practice. Actually, neurons don’t die because of pain or other emotional trauma, they just get wired a different way, sometimes developing super sensitivity over time. We.have a great deal of power over our brain that most people don’t realize. We can change more than we think.

Ok, now for the supplements…I think you know what I am going to say. Currently, there is little evidence that vitamins and supplements provide thumbs up on any enhanced protective factor over a healthy balanced diet. Of the ones you are taking vitamins D has the closest evidence indicating its use in healthy pelvic floor function. See research link below. However, the supplement and the others you take are only beneficial if you are deficient in that vitamin or mineral. Excess is secreated in your urine and are of no benefit. You can be tested for vitamin d and b deficiencies, but they are rare in the U.S. The recommended way to get vitamins and supplements is through food sources and for D, 15 minutes of sunlight a day, preferably early morning. Getting light early in the morning also helps regulate your sleep wake cycle. If you are taking a multi vitamin with b complex, then another b complex vitamin, then b12 , you may be overdoing it. That would be a conversation you need to have with your physician. But, if you feel that your regime is keeping you healthier, then go for it. It is called the placebo effect which can increase your sense of well being. We all find those things that we strongly believe keep us going, but I can’t endorse a sweeping thumbs up on supplements for others without more evidence. It could literally be money down the toilet.

I also would not take a supplement w/o at least uinforming my doctor, especially when I have gone from zero prescriptions to 9 or 10. While I am a lot more aware of unethical physicians because of the mesh, I still feel that they are the best bet for treating my medical and possibly future fatal conditions. I just don’t have as negative a perception as others. Yes, there are bad uncaring doctors, but that is true of every profession. I just choose to go in expecting a positive doctor/patient relationship. If it is t, I tell them why and move on. That hasn’t happened too often, though. But they need a complete history, including supplements, for them to treat you in a holistic mind/body way.

So, there is my take on the conversation tonight. I enjoy the intellectual debate. And now…the rest of the story. Do you know what has been shown to best protect brain health and keep our cognitive abilities??? It is physical exercise. Amazing, isn’t it that it is the number 1 way we can reduce cognitive decline as we age. And with that, I’m signing off .

Hi Still- most medical doctors know nothing about supplements so informing them is probably useless. See Dr. Joseph Mercola online,, he is most knowledgeable adn informative.

Vitamin D and Vitamin C as well as B vitamins… Linus Pauling was no dummy on vitamin C. Any excess is eliminated. My opinion