Caldera Medical – Take $11.7 Mill Mesh Settlement or Nothing!

cm logoMesh News Desk, Feb 22, 2016 ~Class Action Settlement Announced for Caldera Mesh Survivors

Women implanted with a Caldera Medical pelvic mesh product have until May 2, 2016 to submit a claim to a limited settlement that is being offered by the company.  A cash settlement fund of $11.75 million is intended to settle thousands of defective product claims over the Caldera pelvic mesh products.

The settlement was just announced by The Settlement Alliance of Southlake, Texas which is the claims administrator.  It was reached by the Federal Insurance (a subsidiary of Chubb Insurance Group here) interpleader and the Levin Simes  law firm.

See it here.

Why the settlement for the Agoura Hills, California company?

Caldera Medical, Agoura Hills, CA

Caldera Medical, Agoura Hills, CA

Basically, Caldera Medical claims it is insolvent. At the same time, it admits it did nothing wrong in launching its brand of pelvic mesh.

“The claimants assert that Caldera manufactured, marketed, sold, and distributed TVM devices that it knew or should have known were hazardous and dangerous to patients who were implanted with them. Caldera denied and continues to deny that it did anything wrong. The principle reasons for the Class Settlement are to maximize the share of Caldera’s limited resources that are paid to claimants, and to eliminate the expense, uncertainty and risk of further litigation.”

“Attorneys for claimants have investigated the facts and applicable law regarding the Transvaginal Mesh Medical Product Claims against Caldera and Caldera’s defenses. The attorneys also have pursued extensive litigation, including litigation relating to the actions entitled In Re Transvaginal Mesh Litigation, Los Angeles Superior Court Case No.: JCCP 4733 (the “JCCP Action”) and Federal Insurance Company v. Caldera Medical, Inc., U.S.D.C., Central District of California Case No. 2:15-cv-00393 (the “Interpleader Action”). In connection with the Interpleader Action, representatives for the Settlement Class, Caldera, and Caldera’s insurance company, Federal Insurance Company, engaged in lengthy negotiations and mediation.”

Caldera says the $11.75 million fund represents “virtually all of Caldera’s funds.” That comes to about $5,000 per claimant if there are an estimated 2,200 women implanted who have filed claims.

your settlement rightsCANT OPT-OUT

If you choose not to participate in the settlement you are forbidden from receiving any dollars or from even be a party to any lawsuit against Caldera in this case.

This is a Non-Opt Out settlement class, says the notice.

“You can tell the Court that you don’t agree with the Settlement or some part of it.”

The Court will hold a hearing, called the “Final Approval Hearing,” to decide whether to approve the Settlement and Class Counsel’s requests for fees and expenses. You may attend, but do not have to do so. You may be able to speak if you do not have an attorney. But you must request permission to speak at the Final Approval Hearing.

Desara Sling by Caldera

Desara Sling by Caldera

Signing the agreement releases Caldera from any future claims by the plaintiff or her estate.  There is no admission of liability.

Caldera develops and markets surgical implants to treat stress urinary incontinence (SUI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP) including the T-Sling®, Desara®, Ascend®, Hydrix®, POPmesh®, and Vertessa®.

CALDERA MEDICAL INSOLVENT?

Caldera is a manufacturer often linked as a co-defendant with American Medical Systems litigation over pelvic mesh. See case here.

IVUmed website

IVUmed website

Earlier this month, Caldera Medical announced it was partnering with IVUmed to:

“eradicate the incapacitation and suffering of women with Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP).  The two companies will go into third would countries and make quality urological care available to people worldwide.”

In other words, it is exporting its mesh products to Vietnam, Rwanda, Senegal among other countries and train local doctors on the use of its mesh products.

IVUmed will coordinate the “humanitarian “ trips and train local surgeons in workshops using American doctors as preceptors/trainers.  See the news release here

Its Desara Sling (for SUI) is still on the market used for the treatment of SUI and Vertessa Lite (for POP) is used in abdominal sacrocolpopexy procedures to treat POP.caldera vertessa

Caldera Medical launched the Desara SL, Mini and Blue at the American Urogynecologic Society meeting in October 2013. See press release here.

Caldera Medical says it is dedicated to “improving the quality of life for women.”

The Desara products can be placed with multiple approaches including transvaginally, suprapubic and transobturator. #

LEARN MORE

IVUmed

Caldera – Launch of the Desara, August 2013

Mesh News Desk, Caldera Medical among 33 mesh manufacturers to follow-up on complications. See story here:

1. kitty says:

Hi Jane. I was worried I could not get into your site. So glad i got a hold of u.. I guess a woman would have to act on principle in this case.

I had a small problem but a law firm that reads had their IT department find the little hangup!!! Yeah!!! Thank you Sharon Beck of Fleming Nolan!!!

2. Mary Pat says:

Take it or leave it, or get nothing….. really? And the judge is allowing this???????????? How convenient for the defendants. Wouldn’t all of the pharma companies like to accomplish the same screw job. Where is Erin Brokovich? Is she really the only person on the planet that can take an effective stand against injustice? No wonder they made a movie about her work to defend victims, she is a rarity. Really, where are the people who should care about this???????? Are the plaintiff attorneys going to allow Caldera to get away with this??????????? Is anyone else as outraged as I am??????? Why are you all so silent????????????????????? Oh I know, you are afraid whatever you say might affect your legal case????? I guess that is why you won’t participate in a demonstration for MAM in your home town. Don’t let your fear prohibit you from standing for justice. Come on people, this is WRONG!

• Becky says:

I say anyone who can still travel should be at the hearing on June 13,2016….There is nothing right about this settlement!

• Janet says:

It makes you wonder how thus is justice for these women. .

They have been wronged and the justice system is letting it happen. .I do not have this mesh

And I am praying that God will do justice against this so called manufacturer. ..that is doing such a injustice to these women

..how could a judge even say this is ok for this to happen shame on all

• Patricia says:

I can’t believe this entire situation and don’t understand how they can get away with this. Yes, I did sign paperwork in May but have had so many personal, family issues & crises that I’m just getting around to researching. I’ve had 2 operations after the original implant (for a total of 3 surgeries) but now need another and could just scream that this is all we’re getting. What an insult. This doesn’t even cover my out of pocket expenses, never mind the pain and suffering. I just can’t understand that the judge would believe that this is all the money this company has. Really – the way they rip us all off! I am sick to my stomach over this.

• Jan says:

What manufacturer was your implant
          And who is your attorney’s
          And did your attorneys basically force to settle with nothing
          Very curious

• Michele says:

Hello Jan,
            I had a Caldera T-sling implanted in 2006 and had it removed in 2013 due to severe infections, pain, erosion into my urethra, which caused a fistula among other issues. I have had four surgeries and I do live in the south, in Tennessee. I hate to say it but, I feel your frustration with this Caldera mess. I too was given the settlement offer of either sign a settlement that you have no clue about or get nothing. Yes, I have been in constant contact with my attorney’s office every time I see anything about Caldera. It seems that this website is the only way for me to get any real information and that is frustrating to me. I have been with the law firm that is supposed to be representing me for over two years and to this day have yet to speak with an actual attorney who is involved with this case. I have only been able to talk to the paralegals each time. That is frustrating in itself, especially when the attorney representing me gets a whopping forty percent of any money I might receive. It does seem that the whole legal process dealing with Caldera is very impersonal and that in itself is even more frustrating considering how personal this is to me. I, like you, and many other women I am sure, am very frustrated, angry, mad, confused, and probably a few more emotions that they haven’t been able to define yet. All I have been told is basically to be patient and wait it out. The law firms are working to try and get more funds out of Caldera for us. Every bone in my body aches at the thought of having to continually put my trust into a lawyer that I have yet to talk to, but at this point, what else can I do but put it in God’s hands and hope it works out for the best. I know that isn’t at all what you want to hear and believe me, I have had a very hard time excepting that there is nothing more I can do myself but be patient, pray for the best outcome possible, and try to focus on the things I can control so maybe I can have a little peace in my life. I do have someone that I can vent my feelings to and I feel like that help me with keeping the anger at bay. I hope you have someone that you can rely on for support because I know that does help tremendously. I wish I had better advice for you or even more information to offer. All I can offer is my sympathy, empathy, prayers, and compassion for you. I do wish you the best in finding some sort of way to cope with your emotions during this ridiculous play out of justice for what has been done to you and all of us.

• Jan says:

Sorry just read the top
          It is very sad that these manufacturers are getting away with the butchering they have done to us. .
          And the judges are letting them get by it
          There doors need to be
          Shut

• Patricia says:

I just read on another site that AMS Medical was included in the lawsuit against Caldera because the technology and elements were designed and owned by AMS. As a result, AMS was receiving royalty payments on every Caldera mesh put in. Shouldn’t they, therefore, have some responsibility in paying out on Caldera cases? Pls answer. I’m think of going to an attorney to see if anything can be done using this angle. Again, to explain a little clearer, Caldera used AMS Medical’s design and technology in making their mesh products that are causing so many problems, and that’s why they had to pay AMS a royalty on each one used, which leads me to believe that they should, somehow, also be held responsible for the damages from the Caldera implants. Anyone??

3. Nanny Bug says:

It’s terrible but it was a class action not personal injury . Isn’t there a big difference Jane ? Class actions represents s claim for a lot of women . A personal injury is for one client & or her spouse only . I bet they were not informed what that meant when the attorney was hired .

I’m not a lawyer but here is my go – personal injury is when you are injured by a consumer product….. a drug, medical device, a defective automobile…. you must prove the product was defective and the company knew or should have known before it marketed that product. If many people are impacted by the same product you can form a class since the claims are similar. OR you can have a mdl, multidistrict litigation, which is created by a judicial panel. That’s what happened with mesh in January 2012. A class divides up any award equally, while an MDL will divide up any awards according to your degree of injury, usually in some sort of point or Tier system. So personal injury is a class action, an MDL or an individual action….

• Karen Arnold says:

Jane how do we get out of this and how can we request to speak? I have told my attorney repeatedly in emails that I do not want to be a part of this… I was told it was a MDL and now it is a class action with no notice to myself as a claimant… Please someone help me!!

This is important. Were you implanted between 2008 and 2012? That is when they had insurance thru the Chubb Group subsidiary…. implanted outside of that and you should technically not have to be considered part of this settlement…that is my understanding.

• Mary Pat says:

They should face criminal charges for being underinsured. In my state it is a crime to drive without auto insurance. You cannot get a mortgage loan until you show proof of homeowners insurance. The first FDA warning about mesh came out in 2008. The FDA alert was 2011. They KNEW the had a liability risk. WHY were they allowed to operate with inadequate insurance? The Insurance Commissioner should be investgating them for that!

Jane

Does that include all manufacturers

I was implanted with Boston scientific Orybtrx sling and one other that is there’s also..but I was implanted in 2006 feb..

Apprently Boston settled lawsuits from a previous mesh in 2003 about 800 cases.. and then they placed this on the market in late 3005..I wish I would have known everything they hid well

• Becky says:

I know I was never told….I say we go all the way to the Supreme Court!

4. Disgusted says:

Nanny Bug, you bring up a good point. I was wondering how they got a mass tort – mdl changed to a class action settlement. They are not the same, in a mass tort we are still considered individually and in a class action everything is divided equally. They have completely bypassed the lawyers representing women who have been hurt and have assigned a lawyer for everyone who will work with their attorneys. I don’t know how they could do this. They are saying this is all the funds they have. From what I was reading it is all the funds the insurance company would give. This is so WRONG. If it is true that this is all the funds they have to keep solvent, then they should be dissolved. The companies that worked with asbestos went out of business. There is no way a company should be allowed to do the travesty they have done and then be allowed to keep solvent and act as if they have done nothing at all wrong. J&J laid off 3000. They are taking advantage of some severely hurt women. I can’t imagine having to fly to a CA court, my pain would be through the roof. Let alone paying for it. And just to get $5000? It would cost nearly that much in expenses including hotel and cab fares. Plus all the other things we are paying for. One of my fears was the other companies are going to try to follow suit. If one can get away with it . . . Sickening.

• Patient Advocate says:

The case file confirms all the MDL attorneys involved agreed by gentlemen’s agreement. They sold us out.

5. janet says:

This is so wrong..this company should be brought a big fine

This is called bullying. .this is an injustice to the injured

And if a judge let’s this happens they should be thrown off the bench. .

They did wrong they know that they did.

So now they want to just keep doing wrong and our justice system is letting thus happen

Well it they can do this then a justice system should put a 1 million settlements for each woman and not back down. .they took our lives away our future is nothing filled with pain and medical issues

6. Toni says:

Wow they are insolvent but they are going to unleash on innocent women in third world countries.

7. Hal Lewis says:

This is bizarre. I have not heard of a “personal injury class action” case in years… because every single injury is DIFFERENT and therefore does not meet the requirements of a common class action:

I wonder if this is just some local law firm and their pet judge trying to circumvent the MDL process?

Just bizarre.

• stopmeshimplants says:

I feel for all the women who suffer from these products. I am so angry and this is not even the manufacturer of my mesh kit. And then the idea that they are going to send those mesh products to third world countries is just a sickening thought. How in the world is this allowed to happen? Jane, please add this mesh update to the unbelievable column.

8. anon says:

02/24/2016 AT 12:05 PM EST

A Missouri state jury ordered pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson to pay $72 million in damages to the family of a woman whose death from ovarian cancer was linked to her decades-long usage of Baby Powder and Shower to Shower, both talc-based.

Jurors in the circuit court of St. Louis announced the decision late Monday night, awarding Jacqueline Fox’s family $10 million in damages and $62 million in punitive damages, Reuters reports.

• Bejah Blue says:

Yes, and there was a segment about it on Good Morning America today. Will someone tell me why they give air time to this and not to our issue which I believe is a far broader issue, not to diminish the case mentioned, of course. I will share my theory: For the media it was newsworthy for one reason, the amount of the award. There was no meaningful discussion of the larger issues that caused the award which of course means nothing because it will be appealed. I guess the focus of a Journalism degree is different than it once was. When I worked at Time, Inc.years ago journalism was a serious business not just an effort to increase ratings and get the public to watch advertisers commercials. I am going to write to GMA about this.

Bejah

• Janet says:

Sad to think about all this going fiwn.

How many people used Johnson & Johnson baby powder on on there babies ..I have used it on all my children and there children and my grandmother rest her sole used shower to shower and had 3 didifferent cancers be bore she passed away in 2000 ..makes me wonder

9. Still Suffering says:

So they plan to make $ off third world countries? My heart goes out to all the future victims of mesh complications! I cannot imagine that they will have access to removals/repairs or attorneys for that matter. OMG!

• Janet says:

Sad These companies basically murdered these woman

And judges are letting these manufacturers companes get by with it sad to think this is America injury someone and get a free pass injury thousands and they just say ohhh well do not do it again.. let’s give them a couple of thousands and they will be ok.. Not hardly they all need to be implanted with this crap and and let’s see what happens. . Shame on these judges that help these companies get buy with this crap. Instead of making them pay fir all damages

10. Advocate says:

Here’s my take on this, based on the information I have.

California is a plaintiff friendly venue, especially on the pharmaceutical side. The number of cases filed against Caldera were very small, as this is obviously a small company. Keeping them in California made sense when these cases began to develop, for what I believe were two reasons. The first reason was venue and the second was, the company was under insured. This meant, the plaintiff’s needed to get to the money quickly and the JCCP seemed the best avenue.

Caldera, at the time the cases were filed, had an insurance policy cap that wasn’t as much as people might think. They never thought they’d face anything like this type of lawsuit. So, they never insured against it. By the time the cases traveled through the system, that number had dwindled to under 25 million. All 2000 plus cases were alive as individual suits and Caldera’s insurance continued to be spent on other types of claims. Caldera claimed they were broke and the only money that could be collected was through the insurance. The judge made them prove, that as a company, they had nothing to add to the insurance money and they did so.

Plaintiff’s counsel motioned for the certification. My guess is, the judge feared the continued runoff of insurance money would lead to nothing for anyone and allowed a motion to move the remaining insurance money into Interpleader Action. He then certified the class. What is unusual in this is, the inclusion of tiers for payouts. These tiers had to be negotiated. Thus, some claimants will get more than the average and some will get less. None, will get anything that is significant of the injury they sustained. This isn’t a strict class action, as noted in some of these posts above.

This does underscore however, the false notion the money for any company is indeed, limitless. I know Hal has warned against this several times and been roundly criticized for it. We all know the adage, “don’t kill the messenger”. The little heard of Neomedic mesh cases, also went very much like this. They made something like 500 implants and were only able to produce about 3 million dollars in funds to be distributed. They were initially in the MDL, quickly assessed how badly things might go and decided to settle right away.

This settlement, of take it or leave it, is obviously all there is for Caldera. Just as importantly, this doesn’t have any effect on other manufacturers, unless they too, find the insurance insufficient and the individual divisions broke. Corporately, it is why they create divisions in the first place, so they are able to indemnify them separately and protect J&J shampoo from J&J/Ethicon mesh.

It would be helpful, if those involved in the representation, were to post here and explain definitively, how the settlement was reached and why.

A little bit of fact and some experienced speculation, is all I have on this manufacturer settlement.

Advocate- How can one be insolvent and at the same time opening up new partnerships with other companies for continued outreach/ use of mesh? It does not pass the smell test….

• Hal Lewis says:

THANK YOU Advocate for the information!

I knew that the Judge had to be trying to help one side or the other in order for something like this to be approved. Thankfully it sounds like the Judge was looking out for the injured victims.

• Advocate says:

Hi Jane,

Well we’d hope that a company who was broke, wouldn’t find a way to stay in the game, but they obviously do. There’s many ways to be a partner in a company without having money as your investment. More likely, they brought things like proprietary processes to the table. Oftentimes, intellectual material is sufficient to be considered an equal to the folks making the financial investment. My guess is they provided something along those lines.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Advocate, Thanks very much for your post. Fascinating and educational.

Bejah

11. Kitty says:

Breaking News! but none for us. I am thinking of Linda Batiste’s grandson. I am hoping he can get the support and strength to f/u with his Grandmothers appeal like the Shower to Shower grandson. did.

12. Bejah Blue says:

I just wanted to add that to my mind this kind of comment reflects the mentality of bad corporations across the spectrum. They care only about profit. They ultimately not only do not care about you, or doing the right thing, or compromise, or this country. It makes me wonder if the long held fear in some circles about a future one world government may, in fact, come to pass. These are the words of the narcissistic organization and we should be very afraid because there is not much to stop them. I think of this and then I watch as fewer and fewer people go to the polls to vote or make their preferences known. Personally I think caucases should be abolished. They try to influence people to change their choices. People should be able to make their own choices and then go home. These complications will keep people away from making choices, alienated from the political process, a process that could go a long way toward solving the problems we fact if only we cared enough to show up. I did not show up for the last five or so years because I was so disillusioned so I know. I know that “why bother” feeling. Nothing improves for the people. The nation prints worthless paper money and every year we are deeper in debt, and the nation is deeper in debt. Still we continue with this model based too heavily on consumer spending. Doesn’t this support corporations rather than the wellness of the nation and its people? What are we doing about it? What message do we think that sends to Big Bad Corporate America?

Bejah

13. Don't give up! says:

I’m looking at this as Blackmail take it or get nothing, if you don’t reply you get nothing,if we don’t here from you by a certain date you get nothing, I don’t know if these people offering this deal that it is nothing to begin with its outrageous shame on them.

It’s shamefully shameful no morals

14. anon says:

How many women have to die or be injured before it becomes criminal? Millions?

• Bejah Blue says:

We need to remember that these corporations strive to create in the consumer the sense of not just a desire for their products but a real need for them often where even a similar product had never been on their shopping list before. Once the corporation has successfully done this there is a good probability that the consumer will continue to purchase and use the product into the future. We need to rethink what we really need. I have learned from a neighbor and friend to use simple things like vinegar and baking soda for housecleaning, for example. It saves a lot of money and may also save your life.

Bejah

15. Still Standing says:

This article linked below makes me sick. It is a story about a “urology camp” in India where women were implanted with mesh. Literally takes my breath away. We CAN make a difference here. Need to think this through a bit, but here is a story that will attract attention. I know the chief news editor at Fox news online. Will gather more information with your help and get something to him. We have to stop this spread of mesh to the third world countries. It is tragic to say the least. These women have no way to be informed about what could happen. I will try to find out who the sponsors are so we can write letters. Any other ideas on how to address this?.

16. Still Standing says:

You wont believe this . Ivumed is associated with Vista. They recruit physicians for IVUmed. See link below.

IVUmed Traveling Resident Scholar Program deadline is February 1!

Social Responsibility

VISTA has the great privilege of being associated with IVUmed, a non-profit organization based in Utah and committed to making quality urological care available to people worldwide. Volunteers with IVUmed provide medical and surgical education to physicians and nurses and treatment to thousands of children and adults.

Each year IVUmed selects residents for its Traveling Resident Scholar Program, which gives residents the opportunity to experience urology in a developing world setting. You will have the opportunity to travel with board-certified urologists to partner hospitals around the world to exchange ideas with host physicians and perform procedures including open stone surgery, benign prostate surgery, hypospadias repair and incontinence procedures. Read first-hand accounts of these experiences here

http://ivumed.blogspot.com/ .

If you are a resident or fellow PGY-3 and above, you are invited to submit an application to the IVUmed Program Manager, Mary Fredley, at mary.fredley@ivumed.org. The application deadline for travel between July 2011 and June 2012 is February 1, 2011. For more information on the program visit the IVUmed website,

http://ivumed.org/pages/scholarships_and_fellowships, or find them on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/IVUmed.

There is nothing right about this Caldera situation….. the numbers don’t add up… you can’t be insolvent AND launching new projects…. AND paying a mediator thousands a day to sit on your money. …AND deny women their right to court…

• Still Standing says:

Yes, Im trying to figure this out. Ivumed is a not for profit 501(c)(3) organization. So, I am wondering if Caldrea is donating their products and will thus get s huge tax write off for doing this. If they are insolvent, how will they be able to contribute materials to the IVUmed program. Hmmm…anyone want to think out loud about this?

17. Diva 64 says:

It is really hard to believe that a judge, in WV, that has to be knowledgeable by this time of what the Mesh has done to us women, what we have been through and still going through. $5,000, is nothing , that would pay the co pays on two medications for 31 months. What about the doctors co pay, what about what has been done to us, the pain and suffering, what about a plan for our future care, and needs. I hope every person there Op’s Out. Even if they are wealthy and don’t need a dime. It is not just them self, that this has effected, and this sets a sight that other manufactures may attempt to follow.

There are a lot of us, that has lost just about everything, not being able to work or have any quality of life, not being able to stand in the kitchen and cook a meal, not go to the beach and have fun in the sun. I developed autoimmune disease, I have systemic lupus, my world has been turned upside down, from what. Doctor saying we can do some minor surgery and tack your bladder up. I have kidney failure, It feels like there is a block sitting there , that my urine has to try to get past to be able to urinate. My bowel has been effected. I have diarrhea so very much , and it hits like lighting, no warning. Do not settle for $5,000 is that all you value yourself at. The company may say that is all the money they have, what about their insurance companies, what about their future earnings, And are we going to allow them to go to these 3 world countries and castrate these women now, pretty much like what they have done to us. Plesae OP OUT

18. Still Standing says:

I just pulled the IVUmed 990 tax filing for 2015. iVU med has announced at partnership with Caldrea Med. The link is posted below. On page 15 of the filing,there is a list of every contributor to the organization (‘they are a 501(c)(3) organization,so that have to report that information) Their executive director gets paid almost $100,000 a year. The addresses for each contributor are listed on the tax form. I think there should be an effort to write them all letters asking them to be abundantly aware that there are women who have been damaged and disfigured by mesh products. The letters need to be concise, but to the point. I will work on a sample draft then post it for anyone who wants to send a similar letter, but in your own words. Their physical addresses are provided but not email contact. THIS could be a way to get our story out as well as this unbelievable plan to implant a million women in underdeveloped countries. At least , we have to try. Ive had this heavy on my heart and last night I was thinking about other cultures where men have the last word on having sex. Culturally, many women could not refuse their husband’s demands. Can you imagine the pain and agony they will go through.? Makes me literally sick. Take a look at the link.

Excellent- thank you! Love that hawaii condo and trip to spain too.

• Still Standing says:

I looked them up on Charity Navigator , but they are not rated because their assets are under $1 million. That more than ten percent of total assets are paid out in annual salary for one person seems high. I will take a deeper look at the 990 tax form and try to see what they have spent on fundraising and administraton. A charity should have less than 25% of expenses in administrative/fundraising.

19. Teresa R. Jones says:

To date there are 837 T- Sling claimants and the Non and 1,347 non T-Sling claimants. I am T-Sling 0001. Used as a human experiment. Caldera Medical, Inc. to my knowledge is the only manufacturer of which two corporate officers co own the patent. The human experiment happened to me at HealthSouth, Birmingham, Alabama. I wonder how many more women were implanted at HealthSouth.

Executive Profile

Thomas L. Lyons M.D.

Member of Scientific Advisory Board, Caldera Medical, Inc.

Background

Dr. Thomas L. Lyons, MD, MS, FACOG (CAB) serves as Medical Director at HealthSouth Surgery Center and Clinical Assistant Professor in the OB/GYN department at Emory University. Dr. Lyons serves at as Center for Women’s Care and Reproductive Surgery of Emory University. He serves as Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept. of OB/GYN at Emory University. Dr. Lyons is well-known for his work as a minimally invasive gynecological surgeon, and has helped pioneer the Laparoscopic Burch procedure for Stress Urinary Incontinence as well as the Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy. Dr. Lyons is an active clinical investigator for medical devices, where his work includes the areas of urinary incontinence, adhesion prevention, endometriosis, tissue removal, vascular occlusion, and female sterilization. He serves as a Member of Clinical Advisory Board at SurgiQuest, Inc. Dr. Lyons serves as Member of Scientific Advisory Board at Caldera Medical, Inc., and also serves as a Director of the Center for Women’s Care and Reproductive Surgery in Atlanta. He is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Society for Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, and the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists. Dr. Lyons completed his residency and medical degree at the University of Colorado.

Red Alinsod, Stephen Wang, Francois Blaudeau, Sandra Muhlfeld, Bryon Merade, Ty Erickson are the patent holders of the T Sling and many of Caldera’s product line. Dr. Francois Blaudeau implanted me at HealthSouth without consent. I did not know for over 9 years I was implanted as my health failed. Blaudeau is a surgeon, http://www.gynesurgery.com/meet-francois-m-blaudeau/ and he is a medical malpractice attorney, http://www.rileyjacksonlaw.com/Pages/Francois-M-Blaudeau/

Here is link to patent and it is not just the product patent they claim patent to the procedure that has harmed us all. http://www.google.com/patents/US8480558

Publication number US8480558 B2

Publication type Grant

Application number US 11/936,063

Publication date Jul 9, 2013

Filing date Nov 6, 2007

Priority date Nov 6, 2006

Also published as CA2668699A1, 8 More »

Inventors Red Alinsod, Stephen Wang, Francois Blaudeau, Sandra Muhlfeld, Bryon Merade, Ty Erickson, Less «

Original Assignee Caldera Medical, Inc.

Export Citation BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan

Patent Citations (127), Non-Patent Citations (25), Referenced by (2), Classifications (3), Legal Events (2)

The long tail of the law is moving and there are parties that are responsible and there is no statue of limitation in my State for Sexual Torture and Human Experimentation.

Remember it took decades, The Tuskeegee Syphillis Experiment happened in Alabama and it appears the Caldera Medical, Inc. HealthSouth and others led the experiments here.

Review this limited list of those above who involved. This is the only privately held manufacturer it appears to me for human experimentation the stockholders and board’s personal assets are avenues. Nobody through the court has obtained the list of stockholders, I do know Dr. Milkos, http://miklosandmoore.com/ through a deposition was offered 10% ownership if he pushed Caldera products through his practice. I know from same deposition that Dr. Robert Moore owned a boat with the sales representative of Caldera Medical, Inc.

All these private stockholders would shed great light on the company. If there was no insurance for my surgery, April 20, 2004, then the conspiring parties for human experimentation years before FDA aware through a grant are part of this web and solvent. Just more information for consideration.

Are there any other women here who also have Caldera mesh. When were you implanted? Was it in the south? Was it in HealthSouth? Did you have an implant from any of the patent holders? Were you told about that conflict of interest? So many questions. Thank you Teresa.

• Patricia says:

I was implanted with Caldera mesh and live in Long Island, NY. I’ve had two surgeries (so far and a 3rd is needed) since the original implant, and am screaming mad. When I was contacted that my form needed to be submitted by May there was no information given about the settlement or what was going on and shame on me for just submitting it without researching but I had so many family issues and thought that since I was just submitting the papers that I had plenty of time to research because law suits take so much time. Little did I know that a settlement was already in the works. I’ve read all your comments but if there’s anything that can be done, please advise and I will do it.

20. tina says:

I had the mesh put in in 2011 and I had to have it removed months later because I couldn’t urinated on my own. Very painful infections and now sex is void. I have no life since this surgery my husband I am afraid will eventually grow tired of the motions but I can’t help the fact that my nerves have been damaged to the point of no feeling don there. What is the problem with Caldera? Is it because we are women? All of these other companies have reached settlements. I live in a rural community where we have lost several jobs and manufacturers to economical issues. I say sell the company liquidate everything and settle. Se deserve to have something done for our pain and suffering.

I don’t understand Caldera either, they say they’re insolvent, then go on to underwrite aug convention where they said they weren’t insolvent. And they have no money to pay settlements, beyond $2000.

21. […] and to train doctors on the use of its mesh products.  See Mesh News Desk coverage, Feb. 2016 here. Mesh News Desk has asked the company for an update on the IVUMed partnership but no call was […]

One Trackback