100-Thousand Mesh Defective Product Cases Now Filed as Mesh Makers Assure Shareholders

judge mallet 200Mesh News Desk has done the math and the numbers of pelvic mesh lawsuits just keeps rising.

Including the numbers from the mesh makers latest Securities and Exchange Filings with the federal government, the number of defective mesh cases now hovers at the 100-thousand lawsuit mark.

Even with 67,322 cases filed in federal court in West Virginia, more than any other Mass Tort amassed in one court, the media coverage remains quiet with the exception of large jury verdicts.

The latest numbers come from the SEC 10-Q report filed by Boston Scientific (23,000),  Johnson & Johnson (33,000), AMS/Endo (25,000) and C.R. Bard (12,445).  Add those number to the number of cases filed by Cook Medical, a privately held U.S. company which is facing 330 cases filed in the federal court in West Virginia and an unknown number around the country;  Coloplast, a Danish company, facing at least 1,777 actions filed in the MDL; and Neomedic, a mesh maker from the U.K., which has 72 federal cases filed in federal court in the U.S.

These numbers do not include the cases filed with the MDL over the last two months and recently added to state courts. Typically, the federal multidistrict litigation has been adding one to two-thousand product liability pelvic mesh lawsuits per month.

Law firms or businesses requesting the remainder of this article should opt into the MDND Newsletter on Page one right hand column of the website HERE.

Here on Facebook.

Mesh injured folks will receive the remainder of the article on the next Mesh Newsletter.

Thank you!

Your Editor, Jane Akre

1. stopmeshimplants says:

Those numbers should be enough validation that something is terribly wrong with these mesh products. C’mon already! Someone, some group needs to step up and do the right thing. How many more women and women are going to be harmed for life by these mesh products? I pray everyday that this news will change and the FDA and countries across the world will ban these products and hold these manufacturers accountable. My lawmakers and all the contacts I have made do not seem to care. WHY?

2. stopmeshimplants says:

I meant women and men The men are being harmed too with the hernia mesh! I get so angry I can’t see straight. Sorry.

3. msm says:

Can you imagine the numbers 5 years from now? 10 years from now? If mesh was banned today, there will still be hundreds of thousands of women and men worldwide who will have been harmed and had to have some form of treatment and/or surgery related to mesh complications. That’s not to mention the hundreds of thousands of families affected.

4. stopmeshimplants says:

5. stopmeshimplants says:

And still no change with how it is marketed, sold or how often it is implanted. What are we missing? There has to be something more to this. We have got to get this off the market. I am begging for a better understanding. Someone has to know something that we can do to help the FDA and our representatives in Congress understand the harm and the devastation these products are causing men, women and families, Speak up!

6. All Meshed Up says:

Oh, I think everyone involved, including our Senators, Congressman, Doctors, Justice Dept and the FDA, know what mesh is all about. These problems started with the Hernia meshes many years ago. You women who are suffering from Gynecological mesh are just the latest manifestation of mesh manufacturing and marketing. There is just too much money involved to stop mesh. No one gives a damn about mesh victims and survivors. That is why all of this continues as it has for so many years. The FDA has all the documentation it needs to stop the manufacture and recall all mesh but ignores it. There is nothing more that can be said to them that will make any change what so ever. The Lawyers have garnered a lot of info on a lot of mesh victims but that info is used to make money not to help us. The MAUDE data base is used in the same way, to continue mesh implants, not stop it.

If you have the money you will NOT get implanted with mesh made of Polypropylene. You will be offered a sheet of pigskin for $15,000 or some other product that is not made of plastic. Madonna has had 3 hernias, all fixed with porcine lab grown skin. That is why we do not have some famous person or person of power to stand up for us. The people who can afford it, get the good products and us little people get plastic. No one cares about 100,000 or even the possible 1,000,000 victims that are out there now. Why should they? They can afford better treatment than we can. There can be no other reason for there not to be someone famous, rich and powerful to have problems with a PP mesh implant.

Sure, there are some lawsuits that go against the manufacturer but those go to appeal and if paid, come out of a slush fund the company has set up for just that use. The amounts of money paid out to the few lucky enough are chump change compared to what the manufacturers are making from mesh. The States are going to get paid back for what they paid out in mesh implants and subsequent surgeries. No one thought of what the mesh victim has lost or if we are Ok. No one cares about us except us. And that really isn’t much at all because what we do makes no change at all with the FDA. If it did, Mesh would no longer be manufactured and marketed. But it continues……

How do you know about the Madonna porcine implant? Also that type is not without problems. There is something Americans can do- speak up, shout out, make waves….it’s the only thing that has ever sparked change from the bottom up…. unless you have some better alternative?

This will have to be addressed at the congressional level- there is no way the courts can deal with all of these numbers

• msm says:

Dr. Oz went before Congress to ask them to stop false advertising. During the government shutdown, one of the captains from “Deadliest Catch” TV testified before Congress about his need for a fishing license. Why can’t a mesh advocacy group to include the anti-mesh doctors go directly before Congress? Actually, if it was just the docs, it might carry more weight considering the attitude toward 40+ women in this country. That would provide video evidence and a transcript of the interaction that can be used as a reliable source to provide to major media.

• Jan Urban says:

Jane is right. We all need to call our Senator’s, Congressmen,and keep on calling and e-mailing them. If need be everyday. I would like to know if you could file charges for assault with intent to do bodily harm. If these manufacturers were aware of the dangers then there should be some kind charges that they can be prosecuted for. I know that I am having a rough time enduring one side effect after another. So what other legal avenues can we take? This statement from Judge Lesley Brooks Wells during sentencing of James Traficant years ago seems appropriate today, for the manufacturer’s, the FDA, and our Legislator’s. “The truth, sir, is rarely in you,” Judge Wells told James Traficant during his sentencing. Call, write, please.

• All Meshed Up says:

Well….let us see. Check the Internet, Jane. Easy peezie. The Rock, Madonna, and a few others have had Hernia surgeries. I picked Madonna only because of the number of times and because of the porcine.

I thought that might be a quick way to check. That is what Bruce did while we were on the phone a couple of days ago. We were amazed. You might be .too!

I have no idea whether I am right but check it out. How many “famous” people get Polypropylene mesh? Just saying. And NO Jane! I do not have another alternative. I have reported to and given everything I can to the FDA. But Mesh did not work for me and a few other folks and all of our reports to the MAUDE data base do nothing. No matter what “evidence” is put out there. No matter what “Huge” settlement is announced, does the FDA do anything? Jesus, Dear God in Heaven! Am I wrong when I say, that when a kid gets his/her finger crushed in a bassinet or a Baby Carriage, does NOT that company get sued out of existence? A Chinese company sends bad pet treats, does not the Full Force of the Government come down on that company? Do they come to OUR aid? Do they come to the rescue of the Men and Women who have been harmed by the THOUSANDS by a medical device that is supposed to be safe? No. They do get their money back from the surgeries they paid for when a man or women had an implant done via Government Health Care . But when it comes to the actual victim, does our Government come to our aid? No. We are the Guinea Pigs. The few may get compensated. But the rest of us will die with the pain, suffering and knowledge that we were screwed by the people we trusted.

Too much money is involved for this to stop. Until the FDA tells the truth, we do not have a chance in hell. But they are paid off as well so………

• Kitty says:

My understandfing is Prelvicol is porcine and their is problems with it and lawsuits. Does anyone know about the current study with Matristem wound matrix mesh? There is a movie star that advocates for translalbial ultrasounds for all women. Lets pick a date and meet at the mall.

7. msm says:

Not sure where else to post this .

I don’t know if this is legit but I came across it and thought maybe some of the hernia mesh victims might want to look into it.

8. David says:

There is a very important consideration which, I think, is not being recognized in “the number of defective mesh cases now hovering at the 100-thousand lawsuit mark.” This number is only representational of legally viable cases which attorneys have taken. This number does not take into account the lack of a specific product documentation in a patient’s medical records, statue of limitation issues, compounding health issues or overshadowing surgeon malpractice issues (both masking the predictability of the product failure), temperament and ability of a potential plaintiff to convey their experience of harm, and/or surgeon failure to document patient experience of that harm…All the former issues making cases nonviable for an attorney to take.

Jane, perhaps by reaching out to some of the main law firms that are handling these cases we could get the response number, of those women harmed, coming into their call centers? Could it be as high as a 1 to 3 ratio – one case taken out of three calls received? These law firms must have an estimate of the total number of calls being processed.

• Kitty says:

and———————–ya da ya da ya da—what did you say?

• Jan Urban says:

Are all the meshes made with the resin labeled not to be implanted into the human body? I’ve been getting the run around from J & J Gynecare on what and where did they get the resin to make their mesh. They keep showing me a partial label from this year 2014 and I want the year that my device was made which was 2011. I think by knowing what resin was in my device can help with my autoimmune issues that have taken over my body since the implant of this mesh medical device?

9. All Meshed Up says:

Yes, there is problems with porcine. But when you can afford it, who cares? Porcine is not as strong as a plastic mesh product. But it also does not have the side effects as PP mesh. $15,000 is pocket change to people like Madonna.

Mesh resin is mesh resin. None of it is made to be implanted and that was the reason the “chemical” companies told the Mesh Manufacturers. It is called “Cover Your Ass”. But, Hey!. If you can pay off the Court and the FDA will not acknowledge such evidence, not much to it, is there?

And there was a “suggestion” to “reach out” to the Law Firms. “Proprietary information”, “Clients right to privacy”, much less that the info the Lawyers have is “gold” could halt any possibility of that information being of help to any Mesh Victim not “represented” by the Vultures we call “Lawyers”. No profit, no help.

We are the Guinea Pigs. We do not get to go beyond that. Because if we did get “beyond” that status, it would mean all the rest would have to be prosecuted and actually be responsible for what has been done to us. Not only the Manufacturers of Mesh but the Doctors, Lawyers and Government Officials that are supposed to represent and protect us. Too much money is involved.

10. jane akre says:

That is why when we send a letter to the FDA to reclassify mesh we are asking that ALL mesh be reclassified… not just pelvic mesh but also incontinence and hernia mesh. I wish the FDA had come out with a warning but the fact is that it did not recognize hernia mesh. Not yet anyway. Please join in this letter… Easily if you include hernia mesh complications we are looking at a much greater number of injuries.

• msm says:

In my opinion, until the FDA is held accountable for its decisions and policies, there is no motivation to move beyond status quo. Physicians are calling for the head of the FDA to step down over the approval of the latest opiod approved for marketing. The FDA answers to no one right now. Until its feet are held to the fire through a congressional investigation, it will continue to rely on studies from manufacturers nad be slow to move if there is evidence presented that a medical device is harmful. Lobbyists are currently pushing for legislation to allow devices to be rushed to market even faster than the current “clearance” process.

The VA operated under the radar for years providing substandard treatment to vets until congress heard testimony from physicians and family members of deceased vets who might have been saved with appropriate care. Because that testimony became public record, an investigation began, heads rollled, and policies changed.

As long as the FDA is trying to regulate everything from catfish to surgical mesh, the testing will be minimal and unsupervised. Looking at the “rubber stamp” FDA clearance documents is sickening but why should they change if no one with power is looking over their shoulder?

• Msm says:

“Today, the FDA regulates $1 trillion worth of products a year. It ensures the safety of all food except for meat, poultry and some egg products; ensures the safety and effectiveness of all drugs, biological products (including blood, vaccines and tissues for transplantation), medical devices, and animal drugs and feed; and makes sure that cosmetics and medical and consumer products that emit radiation do no harm.”

This is directly from the FDA. This is far too much power for any one agency.

• Jan Urban says:

It blows my mind as to how in the H the FDA could allow a PERMANENT DEVICE like this to go to market from so many manufacturers. Did they not understand that this plastic woven mesh adheres to organs and tissues and that it cannot be removed. I think the FDA’s Doctor’s and Experts were out to lunch, playing Golf or what ever. You do not need to be a rocket scientist. As Mesh Survivors once we were aware of how this procedure went down. Because we were not told the details. We figured it out quickly that this is not right. And when our bodies started screaming to get this stuff out of me. That we knew we should of said no way. When will they LISTEN. Time will tell. Mesh is not logical, it never was, and it will never be. The experts failed on this device and should have their degrees revoked, the logic was never there.

11. All Meshed Up says:

Well stated MSM. The facts stand by themselves as the example that the FDA is responsible for every consumable, pharmaceutical, medical device and medical technology that we have here in the U.S.. They do a better job when it comes to Chinese Dog food than an implantable medical device that already has100’s of 1000’s of complaints. Kind of tells you where their priority is, don’t it.

12. All Meshed Up says:

Bruce Rosenberg and I sent to the FDA many pieces of evidence but also what we believe to be fraudulent claims. This was 4 to 5 years ago and we were talking to the FDA Criminal Investigative Division. Video evidence in the form of a DVD made by Ethicon itself ,in which their own Doctor said that Ethicon was going to have trouble with all of the patients implanted with the older model of Prolene. 110 times stronger than it needed to be, the older Prolene mesh was also thicker and less pliant. Held down by titanium tacks, the Prolene still twisted and crumpled up, broke apart and sometimes migrated. This is what happened to me. The Doctor goes on to say that, because of this older mesh, they will see many complaints and injuries due to the Prolene. And then he proceeds on to the main topic of the DVD, Ethicon’s “New and Improved, more pliant and lighter Prolene mesh”. This piece of evidence alone should have caused an investigation, if not by the FDA’s CID then by the Justice Dept. Nothing was done. Both the DOJ and the Attorney Generals Office have seen this DVD and nothing has been done.

I have turned over my medical records and several legal documents to the C.I.D. of the FDA. I have also been in contact with 3 different Ethicon representatives concerning my claims of damage by their product. Nothing was done by the FDA and nothing is what Ethicon told me they found in relation to my surgeries and their product.

I offered my removed mesh, frozen and kept by the Pathologist’s Office. It was refused. ( the mesh was mysteriously destroyed even though it was clearly marked in red tape DO NOT DESTROY! after 3 years of storage. ). So my case was substantiated with physical evidence and yet was refuted by the FDA and the manufacturer. The manufacturer I can understand but the FDA I cannot.

My case is one out of, God knows how many. I have pursued every avenue, including my Congressmen and Senator and State Attorney General’s Office, with not one bit of inquiry by any of them. Short of taking someone hostage at the FDA what can a simple citizen do to get justice and an investigation into how and why my Medical Device almost killed me? As far as I can tell, nothing. I lost faith in the FDA a long time ago but I still hope that some day a Senator will need a Hernia repair and who knows?

• Jane R. says:

So what can a Congressman do? Should your Congressman or woman write to the FDA?

• Kitty says:

I believe that was a heavier mesh that caused the problem and scarring. But titanium tacks in the abdoman are you sure you have metal in the gut?

• All Meshed Up says:

Yes Kitty, I have 5 tacks all grouped together now in close proximity to my femoral vein. The Doctor that removed the Prolene and installed the Kugel patch left those tacks inside me. Very visible with MRI and Sonogram. And as far as the scrotum goes, the way Prolene mesh is installed for Inguinal surgery is around the Inguinal nerve canal. In the product information it states that if the mesh has to be removed, you will most likely lose a testicle because of the damage done by the mesh and it’s placement. A little bit of info that would have been nice to know about. But of course, I was not told I was getting a mesh product in the first place so that bit of info was moot.

• George says:

Can you tell me where the info you refer to regarding the removal of mesh and loosing a testicle? I’m going to the attorney and have not wanted to go through the removal surgery because I’ve been told that I may end up with just as many problems with adhesions if I did…..I really don’t want more adhesion and loss of a testicle.

Thanks

• George says:

In response to your posting…..I had the ‘new and improved’ Ethicon PHS mesh implanted 10/20/11, have had troubles ever since, months of PT, pain management, 5 sets of injections and surgery to cut nerves and now pain management again. I am trying to find an attorney that will take my case, talking to one next week, I pray you get some relief and hope the FDA gets their act together…..doesn’t sound likely though. In the limited research I’ve done, the ‘new’ mesh has “a substantial reduction in complications”. They state the old mesh had a 23% rate of complications and the new “substantially lower rate” is 17%. Seems to me that is still a pretty darn high rate of problems and the FDA should have noticed…..but I’m starting to think they have their pockets filled by the big pharma just as much as congress does. Sickening, meanwhile, I pop pain meds and creep around at age 56 like I’m 95 years old.

Thanks for the posts and God Bless you.

13. Kitty says:

I believe the TRANSVAGINAL approach is the Problem–be it porcine or synthetic. The damage to the nerves and the scarring is bad—as the mesh goes in blindly—-that is the problem as I see it. If the porcine doesn’t hold it still scarrs. STOP IT I never heard of surgery on men going into the scrotum.(spelling)? Perhaps if they implant porcine thru the abdoman it might be OK—but I don’t know

14. Jane R. says:

Got a letter this week end from my attorney. 200 Boston Scientific cases were asked to be ready for trial in January, 2015. And 500 Bard cases. Also because of so many cases, they have asked that the Court allow the cases to return to original jurisdiction or the state in which you had the surgery.

Ikes, my surgery was in New Jersey and I now live in Utah.

15. Linda says:

Has anyone had any experience with ETHICON PHYSIOMESMESH for hernia repair, due to previous colon surgery?