Women Protest Texas Taxpayers Picking up Tab on Transvaginal Mesh Injuries

wfaa fiveReporter Janet St. James tells viewers in the Dallas, Texas area that the costs of mesh injuries are enormous and YOU the taxpayer are picking up the tab. Her report aired today on the ABC station, WFAA,  and featured the letter from the Corporate Action Network to the Attorney General of Texas Greg Abbott asking for an investigation into Johnson & Johnson, the largest mesh maker with the most product liability lawsuits.

Texas taxpayers pay for mesh injuries through the state Medicaid program, the state employee system, group insurance program and charity care. The AG’s office has the authority to investigate overcharges and seek reimbursement.

Besides J&J, there are five other major manufacturers of pelvic mesh – C.R. Bard, Boston Scientific, American Medical Systems, Coloplast and Cook Medical –  used to treat incontinence and falling pelvic organs. The plastic implants are permanently implanted despite the fact that a percentage of women has devastating complications. The majority of pelvic mesh is still on the market.

Corporate Action Network has gathered mesh survivors names and sent letters seeking AG investigations in Ohio, Texas, Florida, Iowa, South Carolina, Mississippi, New York, California and Washington State.

Mesh News Desk Editor, Jane Akre , was interviewed for the story which also included clips  of Linda Batiste, the Dallas woman who won a $1.2 million judgment against J&J this spring.Reporter Janet St. James covered that story for WFAA-TV.

Here is the story!

1. Kitty says:

Medicaid does pay for some of the costs of mesh removal——-but i am sure Medicaid pays a lot more for the care for gunshot victims, drug and ETOH abusers, disabled and elderly that are on T19. I believe this will make us scapegoats for taxpayer money. I don’t know that I really like this.

Kitty-… if women are having a dozen surgeries at say 10-20k each and taxpayers are picking up the bill… do we blame the women for seeking some resolutions to their medical crisis? Should only those who are wealthy get help and not those who are relying on Medicaid? What should happen to them? No one, but the cruelest among us, will blame women for needing help when they are disabled, losing their homes, their husbands, their jobs, their insurance… It is the TRUE cost of this crisis…and remember rarely does one surgery help. I believe most women I talk to have had at least a half dozen, some up to 20 or more….This truly is crisis that hopefully the states will crack down on when they do the math.

• Kitty says:

Hi Jane My point is that the public will despise us for biling taxpayers. I have no pproblem with

T 19 or T 18. Your run of the mill public does not understand this. It looks like Mesh explant women are draining the system and it isnt us its the Gun shot, ETOH and drug abuse–disabled and elderly that take most of the taxpayer dollars–not that I care.

Just doing some math here… if you average woman has let’s say six explant surgeries.. say she is on Medicaid and each costs say $20,000 each… thats $120,000, multiply that times how many women on Medicaid or state employee health plans? In any given state there are 100-1,000 women guestimate (probably more) We’re talking $1.2 million to $120 million…Not that’s some real money for the state to be shelling out to clean up a mess caused by Big Pharma. What do you think?

• Kitty says:

Jane what I would be fearful of is that the state would look into this and get riled up and go after their money—-and then leave the mesh victims as sacrificial lambs–without a dime.——As msm mentioned earlier there should be a law against gagging settlement cases. Let the truth be told.

2. Kitty says:

Linda Batiste won 1.2 million dollars for her injury. I am very happy for her victory—but she is not helping us by complaining that medicaid is paying so much to get the mesh out. This is not the way to get the message out to stop the use of polypropylene.

3. msm says:

Unfortunately, the public hears that they are paying the medical bills through Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health plans and about multimillion dollar settlements going to victims without seeing the full picture. The public doesn’t hear about subrogation. They see headlines about 20,000 people receiving $830 million while they pay ever-rising tax bills. They see one news story about the truth and thousands of lawyers ads recruiting clients who”might be eligible for compensation”. They definitely don’t understand about the” secret settlements”.

The fact that the victims pay back the government for the bills out of even the tiniest of settlements gets lost in the media. There are complicated deals made with insurers by lien resolution firms (who are paid out of the settlement also) to pay back a percentage of the medical bills to speed up the process. That means the taxpayers are picking up the rest. To complicate things more, if the surgery was provided by a publicly funded institution and that institution had write-off the majority of the bill because the patient had Medicaid, Medicare, etc. then taxpayers are paying for part of the write-off but most falls on other patients and insurers paying inflated bills to cover the difference.

In my opinion, the solution is for these secret settlements to become illegal.The companies should be required to repay the insurers directly and separately from any settlement or award determined by a jury at trial.

Off topic alert!

Recruitment of clients should be restricted and a penalty paid by any firm found to be recruiting primarily uninjured clients. There has to be a solution to cases taking years to come to trial. The argument that the civil courts are bogged down by bogus lawsuits isn’t a totally valid defense. The criminal courts are just as slow. Accused criminals can spend years in jail (or out on bond!) awaiting trial. Inmates on death row spend decades awaiting execution while appeals are sought through the court system. The legal system is broken and doesn’t serve the taxpayers, victims, unjustly accused, or anyone other than those whose pay is based in part on the length of the proceedings. I’m off topic so I will stop.

4. Sandy says:

Can we just say the U.S. as a whole is truly messed up when it comes to any thing government or medical!

• Kitty says:

msm I agree with you about the gagged settlements.——As you say the public has to know the whole story.—I would think that the taxpayers who are somewhat ignorant on Medicaid and Medicare would be very angry about us taking all their money for our explants(Satire) I dont mean ignorant as stupid—just uninformed

5. Kitty says:

The only good that would come of this Texas deal is that the government would then sue J&J CR Bard, AMS et al for IMPLANTING US IN THE FIRST PLACE. Then the truth would come out Am I not seeing the picture?. I am not a cruel person by any means please advise.

6. pam says:

THOSE OF US ON MEDICARE, cannot help what doctors are not doing for us, years of doing nothing but lying and knowing we will have to go to another doctor or nurse that will do the same thing, IT IS NOT OUR FAULT. THAT WE WERE LIED TO IN THE FIRST PLACE BY GREEDY DOCTORS AND THEIR OFFICE . BECAUSE THEY ALSO HAVE SOME VILE EVIL RECEPTIONIST ALSO. I am not cruel to lie about anything, but I am as mean as they come in truth. nothing makes me more angry than for someone to lie to me, and then wants people to be nice , no way, even jesus was not nice to people like those that were liars, he reproved and rebuked them and called them names. I DON’T KNOW ABOUT OTHERS , BUT ONLY JESUS CAN CALM ME, BECAUSE i CAN GET JUST AS MEAN AS THAT LIAR IN TRUTH. FIGHT A GOOD FIGHT, in truth, when lies are told hit back hard with truth and not just patty cake, women damaged are thousands for sure, look at those that lie and stand against us, we have some big giants in power that are for those that lied to us.

• Sandy says:

My urogyno doctor got mad at me at first when I asked for a second opinion. I asked him to put himself in my place, still in pain after 2 1/2 years. Many of you have suffered longer. But I stood up for my rights I just can’t wait to see another doctor in August to see if he can help me. However, it took me 2 years and 3 months to be referred to this doctor. I perhaps offended my doctor but he wasn’t helping me. Doctors because they don’t know what to do seem to make you feel crazy, there’s not suppose to be pain anymore. Meshes were never meant to be taken out so doctors are at a loss. I am so grateful my family practice doctor is on board and would agree with all of us that meshes should not be used until further studies can be done. I have been blessed with a doctor who knows me very well and knows I don’t lie or make things up. He also stays up on things like this. He also says bladder stims aka interstim a don’t work either, his words not mine. I just hope I find an answer to my pain. Only 4 weeks to go! I hate hate hate flying. I would rather do anything then that but, I am in pain and so I will fly to get help. Please continue to be strong and brave my mesh family. Sooner or later either by God or us this horror will come to be known. Keep the faith!!!

• Kitty says:

Sandy–I was just reading your story again. I was trying to figure out why–at some times my pelvicv pain is so very very bad. The other night I woke up at 4–and was in horrendous pain. —I believe what Dr Margolis stated at Linda Batists’ trial that our immune system is attacking–attacking—attacking–this plastic. The immune response is inflammatory—and inflammation can be very painful.

7. pam says:

They know we have no choice but to stay on their evil merry go round for life, and they are draining so evilly medicare and medicaid, but they all go hand in hand, from chemical companies to doctors , politicians , states that are run by health look them up, tennessee is 1, as are more states, IT SEEMS THEY SAY DO AS WE SAY OR YOU SEE WHAT WE CAN DO TO YOU, DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS , DON’T COMPLAIN AND ACCEPT OUR LIES, >>DICTATORS, THOSE THAT SEE THEIR SELF AS GODS. POWER AND MONEY. GREEDY RICH.

• Kitty says:

Cary Spivak is doing a WATCHDOG report in the “Milwaukee Journal Sentinel” –news paper regarding the malpractice meltdown and the problems with hiring a lawyer is Wisconsin due to the changes in law.—- Wisconsin has imposed strict limits on who can sue for medical malpractice. and how much money they can collect. Apparently the state run malpractice insurance fund has grown to more than 1.15 billion. Actually doctors and hospitals are receiving money through the fund due to plummeting in law suits. Lawyers won’t take cases because of the law. Go to jsonline to get full coverage.

• msm says:

As always, they punish the victims and don’t see where the problem lies. It is the attorneys who recruit that are the ones who abuse the system and profit the most. Stop blaming true victims and limiting what they can recover for their injuries. I don’t know what the solution is. Malpractice and personal injury lawsuits as a whole are overloading the court system that was already broken. We live in a litigious society. Attorneys who know the case is legitimate but won’t take it because they won’t make millions are the lowest of the low. They should make a fair amount and recover all expenses, but millions? Really? Come on. (Just my opinion as always).

• msm says:

Some states have caps as low as $300,000. That serves to attract some of the worst docs who need that cap to get cheaper malpractice insurance. So in choosing a doc, you need to research where they came from and how the settled there. Do they have family there? Finished school there? Married someone from there? Or did they come from somewhere else, graduated from an unknown med school, and jumped around from practice to practice or hospital to hospital? Did they leave a good practice group there? Sometimes they are asked to leave. You won’t find any reports against the doc because the other docs never file them. Why? For fear of a lawsuit! They just get rid of the problem and the doc slinks away to another state to set up shop. Companies are for hire to clean up any bad reviews and will even write glowing reviews for a doc whose record is less than stellar. Talk about a broken system!

• Kitty says:

msm that is a good point—or the Big Pharm companies could be protecting these Doctors’ —–some ore big shots in AUGS—–My concern with what Jane is doing in Texas is that I am afraid it will backfire and Medicare and Medicaid will need pre-auth or refuse women until J&J CR Bard or others pay up. Meanwhile we will all die–waiting—– On a personal note —I was up a 4AM today in the most horrible pelvic pain– back and down the R leg pain. I thought “I will offer my body to the Medical College when I die and they can finally find the answer and the truth will come” —- I am afraid to do this because of my children and grand children—I think they would be very hurt and upset. And I never wanted this—I just want to be buried et al in the normal fashion We are Catholic.

PS I am sorry if this is depressing–

• pam says:

I know of 2 doctors that left area that i saw during the years trying to find out what happened to me after mesh implant, and doc , nurse , lied for them, when I try to locate 1 of mesh implant in the beginning. What doctor moves around, as this 1 does, and does not care for those patients he saw, and then turns over to another doctor that came in from tim buck two to take over another mesh doctor. that in it self is not good medical ethics, to have those in medical to lie about where they are. after lying and getting how many miillions off mesh.Why aren’t more states , governors and more demanding even boards set up for consumers and citizens doing something, they are made up of their colleagues also , that lie for them.no one is doing their job! NO 1 IS DOING THEIR JOB THEY ARE PAID TO DO BY GOVERNMENT TO DO, NO BETTER THAN ORGANIZED CRIME SYNDICATES, , DO YOU THINK THEY CARE WHO DIES AFTER THEY ALL GET THEIR PART?

Someone needs to step up that has the authority and get these women like me off the merry go round , taht we have no choice but to go to mesh doctors that lie and find nothing wrong with mesh, their colleagues and law suits, they lie, knowing people are dying with fighting the mesh and infection and pain, caused by MESH. ENOUGH OF PAIN AND SUFFERING AND LIES AND A JUDGE THAT DOES HAVE AUTHORITY TO ALLOW THE TRUTH OVER WHAT TRUTH SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN COURTS , THAT WAS GAGGED BE TOLD. AND AS ALL THEY CARED WAS ABOUT THEIR POWER AND GREEDY BLOOOD MONEY , AND LIED AND LIED , AND LIED, IF THE TV CAN SHOW DOCTOR PHIL USING LIE DETECTORS ON PEOPLE IF THEY ARE TRUTHFUL, IN MEDICAL, WHY CAN’T IT BE ALLOWED WITH WOMEN WITH MESH? I WOULD SAY YES, ONLY A LIAR WOULD SAY NO. IF THEY ARE TRULY ACCURATE.

i have to go from 1 doctor to another for infections never stoppping and pain for years now, I AM IN WORSE PAIN AND INFECTIONS NEVER STOP, AND DOCTORS SAY STILL IT IS NOT THE MESH, STATES SHOULD TAKE SUITS AND NOT PROCRASTINATE CASES BUT ALLOW TRUTH AND JUSTICE FOR ALL THAT ARE MAKING MONEY AND LYING ABOUT MESH, WHAT i AM GOING THROUGH WAS NOT HAPPENING BEFORE MESH IMPLANT. I AM DYING WITH MESH AND STILL HAVE NOT GOT TO FIRST BASE WITH GETTING THE MESH OUT, BEEN PUT TO SLEEP , CT SCANS, MORE D MONEY. SENT FROM LOCAL ACROSS THE STATE TO FIND A DOCTOR, MONEY i DON’T HAVE CAUSE BY D MESH. AND SOME OF THE MOST VILE , EVIL LYING SAINTLY PEOPLE IN FLESH, THAT SAY IT IS NOT THE MESH, SURE IT IS PROTRUDING OUT IN YOU BUT ALL WE CAN DO IS PUT YOU TO SLEEP AGAIN AND TRIM AGAIN, BUT INFECTIONS AND PAIN WILL NOT STOP, BUT IT IS NOT THE MESH,> LIKE HELL IT IS NOT THE MESH! THIS IS COSTING STATE S MORE NOT DOING NOTHING, FOR WOMEN TO SUFFER AND BE PUT THROUGH HELL BY SOME OF THE MOST EVIL VILE LYING MEN AND WOMEN IN AMERICA, JUST AS WITH CHEMICAL COMPANIES THE BEGINNING,

I AM SURE THAT ALL OF THESE WELL EDUCATED PEOPLE WITH CHEMICAL COMPANIES AND MEDICAL AND LEADERSHIP IN AMERICA , SURLY THERE IS 1 THAT KNOWS WHAT WAS DONE IN LIES ALL THE WAY TO FDA, THAT COVERED IT UP, THEY WOULD NOT WANT TO SUFFER THIS WAY, AS i told a doctor, , the chemical companies need to finish the murder they started with doctors that implantes mesh and politicians and those lobbist and investors, this is worse than organized crime, to even have boards set up in states that cover and lie for their colleagues , just to find out what people know to have the boards cover it up, and politicians also .help . NOT EVERYONE IS EVIL BUT TO SAY THEY ARE IN PROFESSION TO SAVE LIVES, AND DO THIS TO WOMEN, MEN ALSO SUFFER , Even the president will not stop it, and say get these women to doctors that will give them closure, we are dying, weaker, because of lies. mercy, finish the job in murder for greedy money like organized crime syndicates and take you evil greedy money , with blood of women, to hell with you, funds that should have been set up years ago, to get women to doctors that might care and help them, like dr raz. was beyond reach of some women. THEY LIED TO LONG FOR WOMEN GET HELP.

HUMAN LIFE THEY CARE NOTHING FOR EXCEPT TO GET THEIR GREEDY MONEY , COUNT ON >THEY TEACH THEIR CHILDREN THEIR EVIL WAYS TOO. < DAMN THEIR EVIL MEDICAL RESEARCH USNG HUMANS AS ANIMALS, TARGETING THE POOR ABOVE ALL. they use to teach children that medical research used rats and mice and rabbits , animals years ago, they lied to people back then too. I KNOW FOR A FACT STATES TARGETED POOR CHILDREN IN CHARITY HOSPITALS USING DRUGS AND ADULT DEVICES FOR THEIR EVIL MEDICAL RESEARCH, WHAT CHANCE DOES THAT CHILD HAVE COMPETING WITH STATE LEADERS FAMILY CHILDREN AND FAMILY MEMBERS THAT  THOSE PLACES ARE HELD FOR THOSE THAT LIE, THAT CHILD IGNORANT TO DRUGS AND DEVICES , SOMETIMES THEIR PARENTS NOT EVEN TOLD. DAMMED FROM BIRTH BY THE SAME EVIL PEOPLE, LIKE THOSE WITH CHEMICAL COMPANIES. IT'S TRUE! JUST LIKE THEIR LIES WITH MESH ,

I had a local attorney that got angry when I wanted a last will and testament made and asked if he would draw it up, I SAID i WANT AN AUTOPSY IN TRUTH DONE, HE SAID WHY DO YOU WANT AN AUTOPSY, i said I WANT 1 ALMOST MURDERED HERE BEFORE, HE REFUSED TO WRITE IT UP, IN ANGER, HE SAID NO i will not put in for an autopsy done for you, what was that to him? it was my death and last will, to put anything I want in it, why would it make him angry, all he does is write it and someone else carries it out, not him. HE ALREADY KNEW WHAT HASD BEEN DONE TO ME WITH MESH, EVEN THOSE IN LAW KNEW BEFORE i DID WHAT MESH WAS GOING TO DO AND WAS DOING TO ME, HOW DID THEY KNOW BEFORE ME'?

8. Kitty says:

Pam–perhaps your best bet would be to donate your body to research at that famous college in your state and have a sealed envelope given to them with what you went thru. I am hoping you will be around for quite a while. I am suffering tonight at 3AM==terrible pelvic pain and wondering who to see next. I understand your problems with trying to find the right MD who will listen and be very smart and experienced