Women in Solidarity Over Mesh Injuries Listen to Court Proceedings

Anti Mesh rally in WV federal court.

Anti Mesh rally in WV federal court.

By Tuesday afternoon, women who gathered for a status hearing on their pelvic mesh cases began filtering into Judge Joseph Goodwin’s Charleston, WV courtroom.

Judge Goodwin is overseeing more than 76,000 product liability cases in the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of West Virginia. He had called for a status hearing from five manufacturer, which brought attorneys from both sides to Charleston.  Here is the status conference order

Tammy Jackson, a mesh-injured participant from Kentucky tells MND that they listened as Judge Goodwin called up each manufacturer to account for what each was doing to bring these mass tort proceedings forward to some resolution.

One plaintiff attorney told a woman present he wanted a T-shirt like the one she was wearing with a slash through the word “Mesh”. mam single woman with t shirt

Attorneys for Johnson and Johnson, which has the most cases filed here (26,200),  told the judge it has three trials scheduled for later this year, one in August in this Charleston courtroom and a case scheduled for July in Bergen, New Jersey.  J&J vows to continue with litigation. The company has previously said it wants to be vindicated in court.

“It went real quick,” says Jackson as lawyers for each of the five manufacturers present spoke before Judge Goodwin.

Women have filed defective product actions against manufacturers claiming the mesh is defectively designed and manufactured and that instructions to end users (doctors) are defective and inadequate. Without informing doctors, their female patients can never receive true informed consent.  Several jury trials have ended up in excess of $200 million in compensatory awards and a designation that the pelvic mesh was defective.  Still, most meshes remain on the market.

Husband protests

Husband protests

Outside, about 20 mesh-injured woman and their families chanted “No More Mesh” as lawyers arrive at the federal courthouse. One husband held up a sign to passing motorists.  Another woman had an image of Alex Gorsky, the CEO of J&J, behind bars.shirt

Jackson says plaintiffs’ attorneys would stop, smile and give the thumbs up, while attorneys representing defendants would ignore the crowd or shoot them a disapproving look.

The Department of Homeland Security, which oversees courthouse safety, made the group feel welcome offering them restroom and water breaks.  “We were treated very well.,” says Jackson who added the camaraderie of the group was emotionally overwhelming.

“We hugged each other, it was beautiful. It’s a sisterhood we don’t forget,” she said, vowing to return.

MAMThis story is in production as the court files and update on the status hearing.  Judge Joseph Goodwin has said the federal court was never designed to deal with such a large number of product liability cases, the largest mass tort ever filed in one court.

Pelvic mesh, made of polypropylene, remains on the market and is still used by doctors to treat pelvic organ prolapse and incontinence, even though the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said that complications are “not rare”.

As a result, some manufacturers have quietly removed their most problematic mesh products, those associated with the most injuries.

Patients need to ask if the mesh is made of polypropylene, which, when implanted transvaginally, seems to cause life-altering complications in about one-third of the recipients.

Hernia mesh patients are also experiencing pain, mesh shrinkage, chronic infections, and autoimmune reactions.  #

1. Jan says:

That husband u are a great soul for being supportive of your wife, when others blew out. U are a good man. Thank u too. U stand for all us women. What a great soul. God Bless U

2. msm says:

“Attorneys for Johnson and Johnson, which has the most cases filed here (26,200), said it had three trials scheduled for later this year, one in August in this Charleston courtroom and a case scheduled for July in Bergen, New Jersey. ”

I wish J&J cases would be sent out to every federal district court and force trials. Send them back to state courts, too. Try three in each court this year instead of just in WV. See how Ethicon likes getting pummeled by million dollar verdicts in rapid-fire (as opposed to now) fashion. It would still be slow, but that would be 150-200 cases with multi-million dollar verdicts in each. They would be singing a different tune and begging to settle ASAP. Just my opinion.

3. Tambrea says:

I wish to thank all,who were voices for all of us that have been injured! Love From Ohio!

4. unmeshme says:

Were there any individual meetings with each manufacture conducted in the Judge’s chambers or was it all public meeting?

• Lisa (Florida) says:

I was there and from what I saw, they (attys from both sides) did meet with the Judge in private during the morning session and then returned in the afternoon for Open Court which I’m sure was more for show than anything, just to appease us MAM rally women.

5. chloe says:

So basically Judge Goodwin has done nothing to help advance these cases to any resolution. There will be no justice for us because these companies will never be held accountable. Thanks for nothing Judge.

What would you like him to do Chloe? We have a justice system and a court of law full of rules that must be followed by both sides. Yes, vigilante justice is swifter but we are beyond the days when someone is strung up by a rope in the town plaza for all to see. As appealing as they might sound, the justice system is supposed to provide an equal and level playing field so each side gets their say. Having seen Judge Goodwin in action, I believe he is doing all he can reasonably do, though the public lashing does sound appealing doesn’t it?

Jane:

Thanks to you & Judge Goodwin

There has to be more that we can do against these manufacturers.

This is bad I guess like my attorney stated just go on

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

Why doesn’t Judge Goodwin put ten twenty forty eighty one hundred cases together which have the same out comes saying if they all had two revision surgeries let’s see how fast Johnson and Johnson will settle then that’s the only way they are going to listen to hit the wallet hard all at once

• Barb says:

I think that would be a great idea!!! This MDL is moving so slow…………………….not happy with the so called mesh department when I spoke with them Friday……….These are the questions I asked:

1) If the woman who are getting their day in court are receiving compensation for pain suffering why aren’t we who don’t have our say entitled to what the juror’s are giving them.

2) Why aren’t we going to be awarded past, future compensation for medical bills?

3) What about injuries caused by these defective devices that we have now and most likely will have to live a lifetime with is there compensation for this?

4) Why should those on Medicare/Medicaid have to reimburse 100% for test, surgeries, medications,revisions??

5) Why there would not be a Special needs trust for those injuried for future, past medical issues?

6) Will there be any compensation considered for what our families been through?

7) Why will we not be fully compensated so after attorney’s, liens taking care of we walk away with a decent amount to help us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,some may end up in a worse financial situation then what we are now!!

*8) I was originally told they hoped to start sending checks by december 2015…………..she laughed and said don’t count on it.

9) Until I spoke with this person whom no is not my attorney, I was is a much better place, now I feel the there is no hope, no one will receive justice……For all of us it’s going to be more suffering, more devestation, lost of hope. So I feel like I should not seek counseling which I just started, I should not have 4th surgery because now mesh erosion!! That’s just more money out of my settlement that will be pennies!! The emotional, mental and physical toll this has taking over us all, who can and is able to put $ on that??

I thought these bellwether trials were set to give the manufacturer’s an idea of what jurors are awarding victims does this only include those who have a court date?? Does this even have any effect on all that’s in this MDL??

6. Karla says:

Great job ladies ! But it looks like not much has changed in Judge Goodwin’s court room if Johnson and Johnson is going to be allowed to just try a few cases a year. I thought this conference was aimed at getting some sort of resolution ? That’s exactly what they have been doing !

7. Getting Fed Up says:

Judge Goodwin has to put 100s of the Johnson and Johnson cases together which are the same if people all had let’s say two revision surgeries put them all together then let’s see how fast they will want to settle they want to stall by reading that comment that J & J vovs to continue with Liligation until it is vindicated in court THATS WHY YOUR THERE TODAY TO SEE IF YOU CAN WORK SOMETHITNG OUT TO SETTLE THESE CASES NOT CARRY ON WITH THEM THEY REALLY REALLY DONT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Betty says:

Thank You all for standing up for all of us that can not make it there either due to medical or finance reasons. We all are suffering and each needs the other’s to get through our everyday lives with DAMN MESH.

Love you all and again THANK YOU my mesh sister’s

9. Ann says:

I hope Judge Goodwin told J&J that 3 cases a year is a little ridiculous. At that rate we will all be dead and gone . Of course that may be exactly what they are waiting for. Thank you ladies for being there.

10. John says:

With J&J’s cavalier attitude towards these lawsuits, and vowing not to settle any cases, maybe a request for opening

an FBI investigation concerning their “accidental” document destruction would help to make them feel that they may not be invincible after all!

John- you are so right, let’s not forget the destruction of documents …. what did they contain? what is to stop other companies from copying that behavior – the destruction of documents that were under a litigation hold.

• Bejah says:

Jane, I believe that corporations always have an automatic back up of all data that moves through their organization. Copies or even the “originals” may have been “destroyed or lost” but they have copies somewhere, I assure you.

11. Terri says:

Thank you, each and everyone of you there.. Can I order a shirt from photo #4 please. 🙂

12. Just tired says:

This is great can’t thank you enough. But waiting to hear what happened and what the judge said!!!

13. stopmeshimplants says:

Finally, some good news! And it comes from the women whose lives have been devastated. I appreciate your time and your willingness to share our stories. I have such gratitude for all of you. Thank you so very much for speaking for all of us who have been traumatized by this horrific mesh! Safe travels home!

14. janet says:

So..I see johnson & Johnson Really do not give a damn in what they have done to these women. .I do not have there mesh,but I do have Boston scientific which this manufacturer knew what this stuff can do in injuries they made this before settled lawsuits in 2003 because of the mesh then Boston scientific decided they needed to butcher more women with it..

As for as johnson &Johnson women these people make all kinds of stuff baby products. I would never trust them with my baby products if they are doing this to the baby’s mothers,grandmothers,sisters,aunts.

So ,you need to get word out on every product and put it out in posters make stickers to slap on there products in stores that people need to stop using there stuff,do to they will not stand up to what every injuries,that they cause from there products..I now for my grandchildren and baby showers and for my church nursery use someone else’s stuff…so spread the word..

Johnson & Johnson does not care about injuries

Makes me wonder if they even stand behind there people working for them if they get injured…bad company do not use any of there products read labels ..mark your battles..if they as a manufacturer do not care we need to focus on what they do..and apparently they love injuring woman..do not trust them with your babies are your children. ..

• msm says:

J & J doesn’t care about anyone – especially women !

Lawsuits Mount Against Johnson & Johnson Over Talcum Powder and Ovarian Cancer

If their powder has done this to women (and they don’t care about that either), what has it done to our children.

15. Who here has been injured by getting the mesh implanted? I have Johnson and johnson’s Ethicon mesh and it was like a slap in the face on June 2nd when they said that they were going to keep trying these lawsuits till they are vindicated. I am trying to get a protest together to go to Brunswick, NJ of women who have been affected by this mesh. I am tired of hearing that they want to be vindicated meanwhile they are killing women and men who have thier mesh which wasn’t approved based on safety. The mesh was never tested in humans before coming out to the public and used by doctors for organ prolapse, hernias and Urinary Inconstinance. This is horrible news. Well it is time ladies and Gents to protest this and go outside thier headquarters in Brunswick, NJ. I am here in Florida trying to get the damn thing out of me so I don’t die like other women have died from this. I am having complications from this. I am tired of being SICK from this mesh. If anyone on my fb or not on my fb has complications with their mesh than we need to be pro-active about this and show Johnson and Johnson that they will never be vindicated in court!!! Please call me I want to set up a protest immediately after my surgery. Which will be soon. This was placed on my fb site. I am trying to get a march for victory together of thousands of women at different times to march outside of johnson and johnson’s main headquarters in Brunswick, NJ. Maybe we need to start making them feel the pressure.

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

Agreed wish we could do something here in Canada too

• Bejah says:

Kelly, Don’t let it upset you too much. They are toying with us. They are trying to make us upset. Think about it. It is in part a psychological game. Despite all the posturing, they are quietly settling certain cases behind the scenes. Still a protest sounds great.

16. janet says:

Remember ladies of johnson &Johnson. .there ads state that care about family. .so,this is his that prove they care injure woman and do not take the responsibility of it

So,this is what we can pass on do not purchase any of there products if you work voice your opinion through your purchasers. Voice through your community advise these people educate them on what johnson & Johnson had done to women. .ask them to research the mesh and how many women were damaged and physically hurt for the rest of there lifes.

We now at my company do not purchase anything with johnson & Johnson. .if I am out and see any mother are someone with there product I excuse myself to get into a conversation to push the damage this company has done to us..I do not have that mesh..but to think that that company would call themselves family makes my skin crawl..they need to face up to there product and the injuries it had caused

Do you all know Aveeno products, advertised by Jennifer Aniston, are made by J&J. Maybe Jennifer should be brought into the loop. J&J would love that!

• JanisUrban says:

Janet, You are right on…..J & J a trusted name, Ha.. I write once upon a time, just like my active life before Pelvic mesh took it away, once upon a time. I find all kinds of openings on the net to slam these Manufacturer’s. We have the world at our finger tips which should be utilized by everyone who is injured. We have the data and information to back any comment or post one would make. People post all sorts of items that have an opening to bring awareness of the dangers and harm mesh has caused. The only constant recognition Mesh Injured women have now are solicitation ads on TV for legal services. The Public has taken note of these… Oh, is that the stuff they are talking about on those ads on TV. Yes. It doesn’t matter which manufacturer you have, we are all in this together. Another opening recently on face book: Oceans.org posts a picture of the ocean and all the plastic that is washing up on shore asking for signatures to demand the plastic manufacturer’s be part of the solution..I write: Good Luck with that! I hope you have better luck then us meshed injured women have had….etc etc. Yes, a few bakers dozen of women and a couple of husbands were noticed in Charleston Tuesday. ( was there) Not good enough it’s laughable when there is 80,000 law suits and 100, 000’s of thousands of women all over the world harmed by Mesh. Stand up for yourselves, speak out, publicity will knock them off there feet. We have no media coverage but we do have the internet….use it. Like Jane says “they hate strong women” Get out there and make some noise.

• mesh says:

I have an idea tell me what you guys think about this!!!! Lets get some real answer from the Judge . Lets us all file a petition for court to meet with Judge Joseph R Goodwin and see what he have to say about A.M,S , and, all the mesh manufactory and why we should only get such a small amount lets get some understanding and suggest how they can speed these cases up. Giving the Judge some suggestions. Let him know how we really feel and we expect a fair settlement. We have been damage, some have lost some of the best years of their life over this mesh. Some will never be able to enjoy life again. Why every mesh company wants to settle with 40.000 to settle cases????????

• mesh says:

I have a good suggestion is there any way the Judge can get several of other judges in w.v to help him with these cases? It would take years for this one judge to do this, so why not get some help? bingo Get several of other judges 5 or 10 other judges. so these cases can move along.

• mesh says:

THIS IS WHY THE MANUFACTURER DON”T WANT TO BE HELD LIABILE FOR THEIR PRODUCTS.

SO I SUGGEST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND SPREAD THEIR NAME DONT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS. BLOW THEIR PUBLIC IMAGE.

• janet says:

I am so with you…Alot of us women are injured for life. .and still facing alot of medical issues. .and we are expected to take nothing

To settle our case ,is this fair.

I will have knit insurance next month. I know longer can work over 30 hrs a week and still most of the time less because of all the pain..because of the mesh….

My attorney told us that we need to take some of the money and take a trip to be good to ourselves. .

Well we’re in the hell is the money coming from..our medical bills could and will reach higher then what we are receiving, but they do nit care

17. Jan says:

I thought that when u did get a settlement offer it was not too be talked about. confidentiality!

• mesh says:

They dont want you to talk about your settlement when it is offer to you., but why NOT, especially, when you actually get your money. The company The defendant corporations usually require confidentiality agreements as part of the settlement. This is often done to protect their public image, where the corporation does not accept liability for the actions of their product. Instead they agree to settle the case without admitting culpability. It’s similar to a “No Contest” plea in a civil case.

Why should we protect their public images can someone give me a good reason why i should after they have hurted 100,000 ‘s of people and still don”t want to fairly pay them what they should get. No money is really enough, but dont disrepect them with this little money. Lets not protect them any more… J& J , Cook, .A.M.S , Bard, Ethicon, Boston Scientific, and the rest of them crooks.

• janet says:

The way I feel about they have lost all trust with 76000 women and there familys, friends co-workers, anyone else that they are in contact with do these manufacturers not understand.

They have damaged us and there rep.

These manufacturers and there executive CEO’S and presidents have destroyed themselves

I will never use an y if there products nor will anyone that I know

It’s like a chain reaction they have caused it themselves

And they little settlements when we are the victims and will be damaged the rest of our lifes .what was the thought behind butchering 76thousand women

• Bejah says:

The terms of a settlement agreement are to be taken very seriously. It is a binding legal document. There are very serious consequences for violating it which may include loss of the settlement dollars, severe fines and other penalties, even a lawsuit or imprisonment. No reasonably intelligent person would ever violate a settlement agreement and for most of us, who take our promises seriously no matter who our adversary is, honor would prevent us from violating such an agreement.

18. jbrokenbody says:

15 yrs. Of insanity. Questioning myself and dr. What a true unbelievable thing. How dare these manufactures. 40,000 is a sheer joke. But on the other hand I read each case is different. I sure hope that’s the case. I want settle for that. I can’t. I have too believe in more. I haven’t even got it out. I just have a hard time believing that Dr. Didn’t know a thing about this for the last 5-10 yrs. I thought they have conferences with CDC s and about knew developments. This is scarey. Makes me think oh no. Just too many unanswered question. Detroying ligation hold paperwork really. My thoughts. Sounds like going to be longer people. Have a blessed day.

19. Tammy (KY) says:

I do believe Judge Goodwin is doing everything he can. I do believe he cares about our cases. He stated he never wanted 76,000 cases in his court. I believe he is following rules and wants justice. Thanks for all your prayers, support and being with us in spirit.

• Bejah says:

Thanks Jade! I still do not understand how it could somtimes be safe and would like to see more in depth data. I may try to email the physician and ask for a copy of the study materials.

• jade says:

Bejah – I don’t see how it can be safe at all, either! I believe that their are prominent clinics (Mayo) and hospitals (Johns Hopkins) etc who have NEVER opted into mesh procedures. That tells us all something. Thank you for your articulate comments and detailed information. And, I agree, this is a game of wits. These manufacturers wants us to feel abandoned with no hope of getting compensation – so, that when they offer us even $100 – we’ll think that’s all we deserve and we’ll cave. Don’t let them do that to your mind and your spirit. In your words – “Stay strong and positive.” The TRUTH will WIN in the end. Don’t let them diminish the suffering and pain they have caused all of us and our families.

• janet says:

Yes..true,I see doctors with baylor in texas

They will not use any mesh do to the complications of it

I also have a gynecologist in the woodlands, texas he stated the vaginal wall is not made to have this stuff in it,he also choose not to use fo to he new there was going to be issues from the mesh

Wise man and very wise baylor

• Bejah says:

I suppose they think we are all barefoot and pregnant, and that most women are not very smart but they are so wrong. I do think a lot of men still think women are inferior, think of how they rape female students on University campuses and seem to think it is a game, they can get away with it, even in the armed forces it is hard for women. But the thing is even if some of us are barefoot and pregnant that does not mean we are not wise or smart or have a decent education OR can be tough when we are pushed too far. We began this journey in trust and we were betrayed by doctors, by the government, by our families sometimes and even by $2 attorneys who thought only of how much easy money they could make at our expense. We have learned a lot as a community through all of this and what seems like so many years. If the defendant attorneys make course gestures or remarks the best way for us to handle it is to ignore them. Bad energy sent your way, when ignored returns to the source with a vengence.

I think it was John Donne who said “No man is an island”…well we were islands in the storm but no more. I feel like we are now a nation and are stronger for it.

20. JanisUrban says:

500 miles and many, many more to go…Wonderful to meet the few Mesh Sisters and their Husbands that could make the journey. This MDL a special procedure designed to SPEED the process of handling Complex cases, in my opinion won’t be happening anytime soon. Judge Goodwin appeared to be using kid gloves in his remarks before ending this conference. He said several times that as clients we should listen to our counsel for they are some of the finest and best Attorney’s in the country. Maybe so, but the Scales of Justice apparently did not move forward yesterday to bring about settlements, in my opinion. It was a long day, as I am still recovering from my mesh removal and infection. With the use of a cane, I walked into the courtroom noticeably in pain as Judge Goodwin was giving his closing remarks. Sadly I was very discouraged with what I heard.

• Tammy (KY) says:

Janis, love meeting you sister. You are a hoot. Email me soon….Tamila.Jackson65@gmail.com

• Just tired says:

How frustrating!!! We are still waiting to hear what he said or what happened!! You all keep inferring he did nothing but one of you are filling us in!!! Been watching and reading all day hoping to hear but everyone there has not told us a thing!!!

It is frustrating but it was a status hearing, each side said what they were up to. It was never expected things would be over. Judge Goodwin did remind women to find their law firms as a source of information and not the media. I guess he might have mean’t MND. Perhaps he does not realize how little law firms share with women. I will ask the executive committee if they would like to communicate through this site… at least it’s something.

• janet says:

I wish we could receive information from our attorneys. .but they do not know what’s going on

They did not even know about the meeting on 2nd

They hire these people to answer there phones but do not rely information to them…and then it sounds we are an inconvenience to them. .

It really makes e wonder who they are working for.. I had my first news letter in a year..it basically stated these manufacturers have know money..we need to take what they offer WOW what does that tell you it puts anxiety and alot more depression

I Really do not know what to thjnk

21. Tammy (KY) says:

Jane,

Thank you so much for this awesome website. Without this site, the Rally could not have happened. Only thing missing yesterday was you. We do understand you can’t be everywhere, all the time. God bless you and your family and this site.

22. janet says:

So does anyone know what Boston scientific threw out

Quite sure they fill the same as johnson & Johnson

23. JanisUrban says:

John and Jane, So why has nothing been done about J & J’s loss and destruction of documents under litigation hold? What are the penalties that should of been applied? Another Enron without an investigation by the justice department? Who is responsible for assessing penalties for these actions. Apparently J & J is exempt from these laws? WHY?

24. Bejah says:

Jane, I would be inclined to ammend your statement that the mesh seems to cause serious problems in about a third of those who have it implanted: The truth is we still do not know what the long term effects will be. We do know of the materials toxicity. It seems logical that if it affects some patient-victims seriously initially, that it will also affect others at some point in time, particurally because it is implanted in the same area of the body, the sacred center of the female body. IMHO we can not make a statement that may be concluded to be fact by the reader that the material adversely affects a specific percentage of people. We can only say that at this point in time that appears to be the case.

You are correct….

• stopmeshimplants says:

I can tell you it was six years before I had begun to suffer any complications from my mesh sling. I was implanted in 2005 and did not seek medical care or begin to suspect mesh issues until 2011. Just wait until all those women who were implanted in 2010 begin to have mesh complications. I have said this for years….”this is just the tip of the iceberg!”

25. Lucy Loo says:

Help me to understand this.. The companies choose not to settle and will try a few cases a year, and the rest of who fall under MDLs don’t matter? I guess it really is time to mentally prepare myself that my life is forever changed and there will likely be no compensation for the years of pain. I thought the Judge would release us from the MDLs so we can have our day in court. I am usually an optimist, but I think we are going to get majorly screwed. I pray to God that I am wrong.

26. Bejah says:

Dear people:

Johnson & Johnson is EVIL. They are also very powerful. They own the government to put it simply. They have thousands of products. Jane listed them on her website at one point. I am very happy to see that our community recognizes increasingly what this corporation is really like. Did you all know that they also sold a product for children, some kind of pain medicine I think, in Central or South American and perhaps elsewhere KNOWING it was harmful for children? They do believe they can get away with murder and they have no conscience. That is why I stated long ago that this is an extremely narcissistic organization and they do not care about you or anyone else. They are very dangerous. They also make Listerine BTW. Please use a product like ACT instead which many dentists recommend. And make no mistake: We are dealing with the energy that many refer to as Satan in this matter.

What did Boston scientific say

I was not there so can’t tell you. There is a meeting of the executive committee members next week so we may get some insight. I understand it was all productive, helped by the women who were there! Yeah!!

• janet says:

Yes! How I wish I could have been there do the the procedures I am having and the fact that I can not sit ate stand periods of time from the mesh..

Surgery is on the 18th my 3rd with another soon after

Just to Try and fix bladder and the pelvic floor

• unmeshme says:

Jane

Is the executive committee meeting with the Judge present? with all manufacturers?

My understanding is they conference via telephone and update each front and coordinate the next actions. I’m not privy to those calls so we’ll have to see. I believe these law firms would like to move these cases along almost as much as you do!!!

• janet says:

Thank you to all that was there.i am having another procedure in about 15 min today..surgery will be on the 18th but 5 here are considering to move up next week. .please pray for me keep me in your thoughts ladies alot of anxiety this is #3..with possible a couple more..will never be t he same but I have the best doctors at baylor. .they are trying very harf

Thank you. Please share the names of any competent doctors you find…. it would be much appreciated!

• Mary Beth Farrell says:

Hi Jane. Dr. Conway in Nashua, N.H. is excellent and highly trained by Dr. Robert in France to do mesh removal surgery. Thank you for giving us a platform.

Mary Beth

thank you. Dr. Robert,,, where in france? Do you have a first name? Thanks alot.

• Anonoymous says:

No, Bejah they are not evil. They are amoral. Like all large corporations. If they were evil this would be easy, but they are not. They are doing what any rational business would do in this situation.

The problem here is our economic system. It clearly gives incentive to act like all these companies do. This happens in all industries. This is what happens in Capitalism, it is an AMORAL economic system, Profit is what matters. It is in fact illegal for publicly traded companies to do otherwise.

Think about this. Capitalism is only concerned with profits, nothing more. It will always be this way until we topple it with something better.

• Bejah says:

Anon- I understand your position and agree with much of what you say but as irrational as it seems, after years of watching the world go by I am left believing there are forces of good and evil, a dualism, one of many and it is a kind of balance I have yet to fully understand. The study of this has become a life’s work. With regard to Capitalism, it is a strange beast, adopted by Communist, Socialist and Totalitarian states along with what I call hybrid Democracies. The deseration of the female body, once held so sacred by our distant ancestors seems an apt analogy for what is happening to human civilization in general and to the earth, the environment. We as a species would destroy what gives us life in the name of profit or greed or the “wealth of nations”. I am not a religious fanatic but I say, GOD help us.

27. Bejah says:

I thought of something else…for those of you who are dealing with Johnson & Johnson remember this: We were all shaken by the profoundly arrogant statement made by the JNJ counsel. That is what they were counting on. This is a psychological game. It is part of a strategy to demoralize you and cause you to lose faith, lose hope. It is a game. Picture a really pissed off old bull in a field…huffing and puffing and charging at everyone. Under that rage is fear. This is just talk, just huffing and puffing. Remember the expression, “Don’t get mad, get even?” That is a better strategy for us than feeling sick at the inhumanity of this corporation. “The bigger they are, the harder they fall”. JNJ is NOT too big to fail. Maybe we should cut off its head and divide the body into several smaller companies. I hope none of you have stock in this corporation. I am going to start watching their stock. If we see it devalued we will know we are impacting their brand. Yes, please let us all tell others, and stop buying any and all of their products. Please visit the list Jane posted if that page is still up. If it is not maybe we can convince Jane to put it back up if even for a couple of weeks. The audacity of this organization has a downside. I once warned the FBI about the first attack on the World Trade Center…because of the organization’s arrogance they did not take that attack seriously and eventually it was lost. Arrogance blinds us and it will blind JNJ and other organizations engaging in such behavior.

28. Bejah says:

For those of you who are dismayed by the arrogant remarks made yesterday by the JNJ counsel, take heart. Here is a reposting from a link provided by Addison a couple of weeks ago.

J&J SETTLES MORE THAN 100 VAGINAL MESH CASES

Posted February 13th, 2015 by Michelle Llamas

& filed under Current Litigation & Lawsuit News.

Current Litigation & Lawsuit News

Johnson & Johnson agreed to settle more than 100 lawsuits filed by women who claimed transvaginal mesh devices manufactured and sold by the company’s Mentor unit caused them permanent injuries.

The drug giant refused to disclose the amount of money it is paying to 111 plaintiffs in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. J&J requested late last month that a trust fund be established to handle settlements, though the exact terms are unknown, Fierce Medical Devices reported.

Court documents in the same district show that the company also settled a handful of cases in September and October of 2014.

What this tells me is that they are quietly settling some cases but publicly sending us a very different message. Believe the facts, not what they tell you. Stay strong and positive.

BTW suggest we revisit list of upcoming trials Jane posted recently and organize protests and other activities to address each one. No one is going to help us if we ourselves do nothing. I noticed there are a lot of cases being tried in Philadelphia later this year. We should use this list as a kind of roadmap and organize around it. I think the closest to me is in Austin. If anyone in CA or Arizona or points north is going I would like to carpool and can take the train to Tucson to connect with you. It is never too early to plan. I will bring professionally made signs and other materials. I can share costs but rerally can not afford to rent a car to go alone. I hope others will organize to attend trials in cities near them.

Take care all,

• addison says:

Thank you for the information and reminders, Bejah. The not knowing and being in the dark on many levels is so hard. It’s difficult to remain optimistic when experiencing chronic illness and not knowing if there will be any improvements in your lifetime or even financial relief. My husband, kids and I continue to pray together every night. We agree that this is all we can do. God bless you!

29. Anonymous Anonymous says:

Just wondering for one of these trials if myself and my husband where to fly in from Canada would someone pick us up as we wouldn’t know where to go or stay I’m so pissed off excuse my language I’m ready to do what needs to be done and we need thousands of U.S. There we really do

30. Tammy (KY) says:

Lisa (Fla)

Thank you for all your work in planning the Rall of Mesh Awareness Movement. Driving 16 hours from Fla. God bless you sister. YOU ROCK!!!!?? Love you girl!

31. justme says:

am i blocked from this site forever?

I just tried to write to you and the email came back. I don’t know who you are. Please let me know janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com You are not blocked at all unless you are pretending to be someone you are not. Please get back. thank you.

32. justme says:

I am your biggest advocate. Oh well..

33. Bejah says:

If any of you have imaging done…I had an MRI of my whole spine with and w/o contrast a couple of years ago and the contrast agent they injected into my vein felt like cold metal and made me feel sick. Since then I have refused it. Now I know why. Please read this and BEWARE!

Gadolinium

In the gadolinium litigation, plaintiffs assert that they developed a medical condition called nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (“NSF”) as a result of injection of gadolinium-based contrast agents into their veins during diagnostic medical procedures. At its April 8, 2008 Administrative Conference, the Supreme Court designated all pending and future New Jersey state court litigation involving these agents as a mass tort and has transferred all such cases to the Middlesex Vicinage for centralized case management by Judge Jamie D. Happas with the assistance of Special Master Agatha Dzikiewicz, Esq..

This is from the New Jersey Court website

Peace and love,

34. justme says:

No ma’am, have never pretended to be anyone. I have been unable to post all week. It could be cookies. My real email is listed. Thank you.

35. Bejah says:

Here is something I found interesting in my struggle to understand mass torts and the appeals process. It is old but still has value. Hope ya’all find it worthwhile reading. The website is one where lawyers chat about their business…interesting place to explore for information that may help us as some defend device manufacturer’s. There is also a list of useful links that I will list in sep. document. I do not recall when the Mass Tort Law was modified to favor corporations, if it was before or after this was published, just FYI. The website is DrugandDeviceLaw.

ANATOMY OF A MASS TORT

Drug and Device Law

Saturday, June 02, 2007

We’re stepping back for a second. Instead of analyzing specific doctrines or new cases, we’re going to analyze the whole enchilada: a mass tort, start to finish.

We thought it would be fun (we have an odd sense of humor) to create this post without ever typing these words: “the product was defective” or “someone was hurt.” Remarkably, those words are unnecessary to describe the anatomy of a mass tort.

A mass tort does need a trigger. We’ll bet the mortgage that one of these five events started the avalanche:

(1) bad press — Connie Chung or Mike Wallace said something nasty,

(2) regulatory action — the FDA added a black box warning to a drug or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recalled a car,

(3) a voluntary recall — although no government agency demanded it, a manufacturer took its product off the market,

(4) a big jury verdict — nothing catches the eye of the plaintiff’s’ bar like money, or

(5) a critical article in the scientific literature — historically, we didn’t see this trigger too often, but it’s becoming increasingly common.

Pundits, pause: There’s policy to be made already. We’re hesitant to muzzle the media, so we won’t say much about the first trigger. But how about the second and third? If we know that mandatory or voluntary product recalls often trigger mass torts, then you can bet that companies know it, too. Which means that fear of litigation may deter companies from voluntarily undertaking (or acquiescing in a regulatory agency’s request for) a product recall.

The law and economics gang says that fear of strict liability causes companies to internalize risks and thus protects the public health; the Beck and Herrmann gang says that fear of mass tort litigation can also influence corporate decision-making, in ways that hurt the public health.

But we digress.

First, the trigger; then, the deluge. After the televised hit piece, product recall, or big verdict, the tort system springs into action. How does the law reveal its majesty?

Within hours after the triggering event, law firm websites will invite product users to sign on as potential clients. Ads in traditional media follow.

Sadly, by this point, the die has been cast. Once the plaintiffs’ bar has signed up clients, it cannot lightly let them go. No matter where the truth lies, the litigation process has now taken on a life of its own.

Here’s how the litigation plays out: Plaintiffs’ counsel who specialize in aggregate litigation typically strike first; they file class action complaints promptly. Being first to file makes it more likely that a law firm will be appointed class counsel, or to a steering committee, where the money lies.

A relatively few plaintiffs’ firms will immediately file complaints on behalf of individual plaintiffs. Individual complaints often move to trial more quickly than class actions, so counsel who file individual complaints may find themselves on the leading edge of the litigation. A select few plaintiffs’ lawyers like this position: They’re itching to do some work, try a case, and establish their reputations in the field.

Most plaintiffs’ lawyers do not pursue this path, because it would require, well, work. It’s far easier to sign up clients, do nothing, watch how the litigation plays out, and then spring into action only after the parties announce a global settlement. No muss; no fuss; big bucks.

We’ve just described the core litigation. Don’t forget the peripheral litigation. The target company (or industry) will probably be served with a 10b-5 complaint or two, pleading that the company knew in advance the alleged problems with its product, and the failure to disclose those problems deceived the securities markets. Other peripheral litigation may include complaints filed by third party payors (insurance companies who were allegedly deceived into paying for the product), employee pension plans (that hold corporate stock), or the like.

It’s the American legal system at its finest: All of the lawyers’ kids are going to college.

The litigation proceeds. Plaintiffs petition the MDL Panel to create a coordinated proceeding. As we’ve noted in an earlier post, these days the defendant can either unsuccessfully oppose coordination or acquiesce and seek to aggregate the federal cases in its preferred forum. Plaintiffs’ counsel, meanwhile, will scratch each other’s eyes out to have the coordinated proceeding located in their respective home towns (where they’re more likely to land on the steering committee or serve a major role).

Depending on the size of the mass tort, the parties may also battle over whether to create coordinated proceedings in state court systems. With large populations and well-developed “mini-MDL” processes, California, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Texas are the likely hot spots.

In the MDL proceeding, the corporation searches for a silver-bullet defense — one that can eliminate thousands of cases at once, avoiding the burden of individualized discovery of each plaintiff. What does the corporation find in its bag of tricks? Preemption and Daubert. (We’re being too flip, of course; cases do vary, and creative counsel often locate product-specific defenses. But we get lots of e-mails asking us why everyone’s so focused on preemption and Daubert. Because those doctrines can win cases wholesale, not retail — that’s why.)

With a preemption victory, plaintiffs are barred from recovery because of the scope of federal regulation of the product. With a win on the (general causation) Daubert ground, plaintiffs are barred from recovery because no legitimate scientific evidence links the defendant’s product to the plaintiffs’ alleged injury.

Suppose the defendant loses on the wholesale level. — no luck with preemption or Daubert. The litigation continues. Twenty-three months pass. The defendant is then startled to see new lawsuits arriving by the mailbag-full. What happened? Another TV show? More bad news about the product? New scientific data?

No, no, and no. The statute of limitations for product liability claims in many (perhaps even most) states is two years. With that deadline about to expire, plaintiffs’ counsel must either

(1) file complaints on behalf of the many plaintiffs who they solicited by advertisements or

(2) engage in malpractice by permitting the claims to become time-barred. Since there’s no alternative, plaintiffs’ counsel file complaints.

The two-year anniversary of the triggering event passes. The defendant breathes a sigh of relief. At long last, the magnitude of the litigation is known; all of the cases have been filed. And, since potential new cases are now time-barred, the defendant can begin to think about negotiating a global settlement, without fear of generating new litigation by offering to pay money to settle cases. The company’s stock price inches back up.

Not so fast. The litigation now shifts to the states that have longer statutes of limitations. Huge fights ensue about whether a plaintiff who lives (and was injured) in a state with a two-year limitations period can take advantage of some other state’s six-year statute. Plaintiffs’ counsel aren’t stupid; they file complaints in states where they think this argument might win. Those are states that arguably apply local state law — where the lawsuit was filed — rather than the law of the state where the plaintiff lived and was injured. (As defense lawyers, we don’t think there’s any state where that argument should, or does, work. But one day you just might see a post on this blog titled, “Minnesota, Heal Thyself!”)

What next? The parties try a few cases. The safety of the product is largely irrelevant. Plaintiff’s counsel tells the jury in opening statement that, “This is the case of a company that put profits before safety!” or “This is the case of a company that stuck its head in the sand and refused to admit the truth!”

Defense counsel responds: “This is the case of Mr. Smith, who is:

• pond scum;

• a [heart attack] waiting to happen; or

• a reckless nutcase.”

(We’re sorry we can’t be more precise, but we haven’t specified the product involved in our hypothetical mass tort, so we can’t give you the exact theme of the case.)

The jury — six to twelve people with an average of about a high school education — hears from the epidemiologists, the pharmacologists, the biostatisticians, and the bioethicists. And the jury then wrestles with the critical issue: Is the defendant more evil than the plaintiff is blameworthy? (We told you that we’d write this whole post without worrying about whether the product was defective.)

If the defendant wins the first dozen trials, the mass tort withers on the vine.

If the plaintiffs score big in a few of the early cases, the litigation continues for a while.

Eventually, everyone’s exhausted. Counsel wrestle with Amchem and Ortiz and find some way to settle the mess. Everyone goes home for the first decent night’s sleep in four years. But, before going to sleep, they flip on the TV.

Posted by Beck/Herrmann at 10:11 AM

COMMENTS:

Andrew Oh-Willeke said…

One notable point missing from this analysis is that less worthy cases usually end up with trivial coupon settlements fairly early with a decent payout to the Plaintiffs firm, while more worthy cases usually result in big bucks for the winning Plaintiffs.

Also, the summary judgment motion analysis often does go to the merits, arguably quite a bit more aggressively than in non-class action suits.

Bejah (Sorry it is a bit longer than I expected…probably should have provided link but sometimes we do not go to the link and may tell ourselves we will do it later and then we forget (at least I do) so forgive me.

36. Bejah says:

The list of links provided by the MassTort boys…

LINKS

Duty To Test Cheat Sheet

Post-Levine Drug/Vaccine Preemption Cheat Sheet

Generic Drug Preemption Scorecard

E-Discovery Cheat Sheet

Bejah (OK, this is your homework folks, happy reading!) 🙂

37. sharon says:

We know what J&J are going to trails,what did the other manufacturers said about trails or settlements.

38. jbrokenbody says:

Attorneys charging 40%. But don’t give us a weekly or monthly updates of how things are going. I find this unprofessional really.

• Kelley says:

I agree completely, and am going through the same! I haven’t heard from my lawyer in almost a year!! 🙁

• Bejah says:

“The squeeky wheel gets the grease”. IMHO 40% is way too much and I would call them regularly for updates. Make them earn that 40%. They can’t bill the hours they spend talking to you so they do not want to. Ask to talk to an attorney too, not a para legal or a clerical worker. Be pushy if you have to. Ask for a copy of your case file. Ask for the case number and the date it was filed with the court. Ask for the name of the attorney who is working on your case if it is a large firm. Ask them key questions abou the case that you are aware of because of your own research and Jane’s website. See if they know the answer. Every time you call ask a question like that. Keep records of who you spoke to, when, and what was said. They should be doing the same.

39. Andagain says:

My Dr is in Morgantown WV, I had my most recent surgery just a couple of weeks before this status conference. I had planned on being there but my surgery was much more extensive than expected.

They actually had to dycect my bladder, remove all the bladder slings and put everything back together. My Dr said have your lawyer call me there was no sense in what has happened to you. I had to wear a cath for 15 days and have to self cath now. I now have a uti now, my Dr now is wonderful. He told me they used cadaverous material and muscle to fix everything, he said he didn’t know if my leakage would ever go away, but this should help with some of the pain.

There is no denying what has happened to me. I want my life vendicated. I can never get my husband back, my ability to do may of the things I did before, I will never get my home back, and I won’t get my teeth back, beautiful teeth may I add, that crumbled from all the infection that ravaged my body two years ago. I can never see myself becoming intimate with another man because let’s be honest, no matter how beautiful a person may be who wants a woman in depends instead of Victoria secrets.

Vendicated that J&J. Tell me my life isn’t worth living fully as you and your ceos do on their extravagant vacations I’m sure you will take, tell me you wouldn’t mind laying in bed with a woman who either can’t urinate or pees the bed on your vacation and has to wear depends, and she has just started to enter her midlife years.

40. Bejah says:

Dear Andagain, I am so sad to consider what you have been through. The loss of a husband…it seemed to me like my soul was ripped apart. Losing your house…no one who has not been through having to walk away from a home they loved and put their whole heart into can understand how great a loss that is, especially for women I expect because we are the creators of the life of the home, like we give the breath of life to our children we breathe life into our homes. If you loseyour home because of divorce or the loss of income or mortgage fraud it becomes more difficult to believe in anything again. And then to be hit with this…you have survived all of this. Not only that but your spirit is still full of fire. A person can be deeply wounded and still be strong. I think, BTW, peeing in the scotch on the rocks of the CEO’s of the defendant is a great idea…but not the bed…you might get cooties and we can’t have that, besides he may wear depends secretly…picture him naked in his depends making big deals bedside. I also am having terrible problems with my teeth just breaking off in pieces, cavities (I never had them) and one front tooth that so many pieces broke off of that I have been told I need an emergency root canal now as the infection has reached the root. I was supposed to have it last week but I had no money for the $197.00 co pay. Then there will be a cap and the co pay for that part they have divided into two payments of $288.00 so I can pay over two months. What will I do if this continues? I have applied for Care Credit at the suggestion of the dental office. What if my equest is declined? I have been told one has to have excellent credit to qualify for Care Credit but once qualified there is no interest for 12 months. Please pray for me. I think I am also going to approach the settlement funding organization Jane did an interview with recently. My dentist asked my if I had any literature, any evidence that the toxins leeching from the mesh contribute to or are a causal factor for damage to ones teeth. If you know of any please let me know or even give me (us) the link. Jane, would it be possible to put up a page where people can check a box if they have or have not had dental problems that may be related to the toxins produced by the breakdown of the mesh? Thanks and thank you Notagain for sharing your experience. I do think it helps us all. Be strong and don’t get mad, get even.

• andagain says:

Bejah,

My dentist said he knows that’s what caused it but he can’t prove it, so when I had my most recent surgery, they had all my records from the past two years where I was in and out of the hospital, my dental records, and all the material and tissue my Dr. at WVU removed from me, including scar tissue, bladder exterior lining, and what was left of the slings, 3 to be exact, because my initial Dr. just kept putting one on top of the other when he did the surgery and they would break loose, they did biopsies at WVU, then shipped it all to Texas, so my tissue got to go on vacation without me. lol. I will keep you updated for sure what they find out. For 13 mos they kept telling my I had lymphoma, and now feel it was all due to the bladder sling, never lymphoma. And I would prefer to pee cocktail, but would probably have to empty it strait out of my straight cath. lol

I did contact the funding places, but thank God I have a wonderful Uncle who helped me. Just keep in mind, the least you borrow from them the least you have to pay back. And I will be keeping you in my prayers for sure.

• Bejah says:

Hi Andagain, Today I sent my law firm an email advising them that I would be contacting the funding organization and I told them why. I think they will need to approve any arrangement so I also gave them the name of my dentist. I find myself wondering how many root canals, or bridges or caps one person can afford even with the best dental insurance. I would be so thankful to you if you could let me know what you find out. Does this mean the material was sent to a lab in Texas for analysis? If not we should do that. If you find a smoking gun you could send data directly to my dentist to protect your privacy if you wish. It is Palm Desert Dental Group and my primary dentist there is Kenneth Hodgkins, DDS. For the benefit of all of us we should stay on top of this and all of us should make sure material from the work done, bits of tissue and broken teeth, etc. should be sent to a lab for analysis…a lab we can trust. I know that we are not the only two and I hope others will participate. Thank you so much. So far I have no pain from the tooth, thank Heaven, but two other molars are sensitive. Take care,

41. Deb says:

I too have lost teeth, 4 of them. Also weird breathing and when I am lying down I wake up with jolts like I was having a bad dream and it happens a lot. I am pretty sure the mesh is affecting my central nervous system. Can someone track down all the weird symptoms we are all having so we can let our lawyers know. I have the mesh in my vag and bladder and rectum. I had a prolapse that fell out of my pelvic area and it came down to my knees and now I am having another one. I live in Boise, where does that leave me??? The big question I have, why hasn’t the new broadcasting been involved, we need all that support!!!!!!

• Bejah B says:

Deb, I am so very sorry you have lost four teeth. I think it is harder for a woman than a man to have this happen. I pray you will receive a settlement that will give you the funds you need to heal yourself including your teeth. I think you can have some sort of bridge or something. It is amazing what they can do now. If there is a University with a dental school in your city you might go there as they do work for very little. I used to go to one in LA years ago when I was young and poor, now I am old and poor, ha! Thank you so much for posting the information about dental damage. I have applied for Care Credit, for a Capital One Credit card, the first since my 2009 bankrupcy due to mortgage fraud, and I have applied for a settlement advance. I have not heard from anyone yet and the root canal is scheduled for the 17th. I am beginning to deflate. Seeing your message made me feel a little better. Someone is out there. Someone heard me. Thanks Deb. Praying for you, for us all.

• janet says:

Sorry also,I received a phone call regarding opine out

She asked me to look at the manufacturers financial report well I did they have money

Judge Goodwin, should have placed a hold on all these manufacturers from buying and selling and doing other things until this is completed..

I was very impressed of what there earrings and what they have bought in the past 6yrs..

They need to make great settlements offers

I guess she thought I was stupid and would not look into this

I have made copies and send in to them

I am not in this to break them..

But they have broken me and others they need to come clean

That is what I am asking to do us right for our lifes and what lifes we have left

• janet says:

Was just informed that even after all these meetings and talks Boston scientific is not settling they want to go to trial on each case. .so I say let’s do it…

Judge Goodwin really needs to place a hold on all 5 here accounts and hold them from purchasing anything. .since the just put money 1.6 billion in to another device and they spent 875 million in a research and another 830mil into a different research

All Of This SHOULD Be On Hold Until This MANUFACTURE SRARTS SETTLING FROM There Product On THE Damage And BUTHCHERING It Had caused

• Bejah B says:

Deb, I was thinking about your breathing issue. Can you try to sleep so that your lungs and heart are raised a few inches…maybe put more pillows under you. That may help. Try to see a Neurologist. If you need a referral and the primary is resistant exagerate your symptoms or even as a last resort feign chest pain and go to the ER. I am fed up with doctors and have lost considerable respect for most of them. Remember you are your best advocate. You need to make sure your lungs are clear. Remember Joan Budky (Bless her soul) had a lung infection…

42. Amy says:

What does this mean:: http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov/MDL/ethicon/pdfs/PTO_182.pdf

Another pretrial order #182??? Files June 12, 2015??

Just Annoyed with the entire process!

43. Dorothy says:

It’s the Judges answer to the manufacturers dragging their feet and making a joke of his courthouse. The worse thing that could happen to J&J and even AMS is included. Now all case’s can be grouped together and tryed at one time. It’s the beginning of the end. It’s the trick Judge Goodwin had up his sleeve. It’s what we’ve been waiting for. Read it carefully. Hal Lewis please say it better for those who don’t get it. Thank You Amy for finding this site (above)

44. Bejah B says:

Amy, Yes it is a pre trial order grouping together cases for trial

PRETRIAL ORDER # 182

(Order Consolidating above Cases for Trial on Issue of Design Defect)

Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 42, the above-styled actions are consolidated

for trial on the issues of negligent design defect and strict liability – design defect. It is

ORDERED that Civil Action No. 2:12-cv-09311 is designated as the lead case, and all further

filings shall be captioned and docketed therein.

Bryant, et al. v. Ethicon, Inc., et al. 2:12-cv-09311 Ms. Bryant will I guess go to trial representing that whole list of people. Is that correct Jane? And this is how they are trying to move them through the courts more quickly…consolidation. We are just numbers. It is rather dehumanizing but what else is new.

45. Mesh Husband says:

I didn’t get a chance to read every entry, but in speaking to my wife’s law firm yesterday, 7/13, the Ethicon Bellwether trials are a selection of various lawsuits that are supposed to represent all the cases received against Ethicon and that from the outcomes of these trials (March, July & Nov/Dec 2015?), a sort-of matrix will be set up. Each case will be placed in a category and compensated accordingly. That is basically what I understood to be told, so there won’t just be a few trials a year for years to come. Hopefully with continued success, every woman can be compensated for the horrible results they have and will continue to face

• janet says:

I will not believe any of this until I receive a phone call. .I was informed by my attorneys office that Boston scientific will not settle they want trials. ..they also informed me that this will take another 7,8,possibly 10yrs

I have already been in 8yrs now

This has bankrupt me

My health will never be the same

I will never be married. .they took my life

I have lost everything because of them

And they do not care about what they have done

Janet- the truth is no one knows how long these cases will take… true, it’s said the average case takes 8 years to go through the courts considering start through the appeals process, but this is different in that settlements will be offered eventually. There is no appeals process with a settlement offer. I don’t think the lawyers or paralegals fully appreciate how deflating their words can be. I’m sorry….I wish the shareholders of Boston Sci stock could hear your words!

• janet says:

So,true stock holders need to know how this company handles there mistakes …it is sad that our health has to suffer at these manufacturers hands

Life has really stopped for me, will never ever be the same

I have list everything, and these manufacturers get to ho home to family, nice homes, nice vehicles to drive. ..

But not one of them have stated how sorry they are for what they have done to us

• janet says:

Jane,I thank God everyday for your compassion for us women

you are the only person that gives us hope for this to be over

You understand the pain and the depression that we are going through. .

Just a big thank you

I will be having 2 procedures tomorrow to add with the 100 I have already had

I will be going through another surgery soon

Please all stay in touch

I’m so sorry and hope you have a competent and experienced surgeon. No more partial removals if one can help it…. Thank you!!!

• janet says:

The surgery is for the issues of the bladder

And for trying to get the rest of mesh

That has been impossible to get ..

He is also working on trying to get me less pain

I am receiving sterriod treatments for the pelvic wall

I really do believe in this gyn/ uro baylor hospital houston

Id love to know a name Janet…. thank you

Dr. Francisco orejuela

at baylor in Houston, texas

What is his specialty? thank you.

46. Kaye says:

I just filed a claim. I had mesh placed in December 2014. About 6 weeks ago I noticed something different. I had severe pelvic pain. Back pain. Bleeding after intercourse. Urinary incontinence again. My partner states he can feel something sharp rubbing against him when we have intercourse and says it feels as if it is scratching his penis. I went to the doctor and was examined. My mesh is eroded and exposed coming through my vaginal wall. I’m just an emotional mess. My gynecologist that placed the mesh supported it, selling it for the company and think they are wonderful. I was never told of complications. I was told I could go back to work 2 days after having mesh placed! That was a joke. Now she says she doesn’t have the experience in removing meshes and want to refer me to a doctor that is outside of my network. Well I did some research and found a doctor highly qualified in removing meshes in St. Louis, MO. I am having mesh removed. I am a single mom raising 2 children. I had this done because I was 35 and tired of not being able to exercise or play with my kids without peeing on myself. I would cough, sneeze, laugh and pee. I wanted to better my life and enjoy it again. Now. After a $15,000 surgery to have mesh/bladder sling. I have to go to another doctor 3 hours away to see about having it removed and no telling what that will cost. I was also told after having a mesh removed your urinary incontinence is worse then what it was to start off with. I will be out of work. out of money for surgery. This was my last semester in school before I graduated and I just had to withdrawal from my classes due to preparing for this surgery. My life has been wrecked because of this. Not only does it affect me it also affects me children and being able to provide for tgem. How is that fair? thanks to GYNECARE mesh by johnson and johnson my life at age 36 is miserable and something that will affect me probably the rest of my life.

Just curious what the doc told you to convince you to have mesh? What is the latest sales pitch docs are using? Thank you.

• Dora P says:

How did removal go? I am having one soon. Repair was so badbi was scared to go baxk 2the doc but now finally some docs know how to remove it. A couole gyns brushef me off repeatedly.

Did u get settlement? I was offered 17k talk about low, this is our life and body… a car accident u broke your arm in that heals in 4mo would pay more. If a guy lost use of his penis due to a product hed get more. My life halted 10yrs ago when this happened. It led to divorce and made me undatable and the pelvic and hip pain is a roller coaster… skin has grown over mesh hanging out and im deformed in a u shape.