Why We're Here ~ Putting a Face on Adverse Events

Jane Akre

Jane Akre

April 19, 2013 ~ Hello everyone. I’m Jane Akre, the Editor of MDND. No I’m not mesh-injured but I saw the tremendous need to delve deeper into this story as a journalist when it was brought to my attention four years ago. (See more in the About Us page).

A lot has happened since then. The FDA warning from July 2011 established the basis for the many lawyer advertisements you see today, but more importantly, thousands of lawsuits that have been filed. As of yesterday, there were 17,478 plaintiffs consolidated in one federal court!  That does not include the many others in various state courts.

There has been some suggestion that a sort of mass hysteria generated by trial lawyers has generated this rush to the courtroom door. I find that insulting to women and lawyers are not stupid. There is no sense in wasting time with a frivolous lawsuit that will be thrown out of court.  The community amassed here talks about real life-altering complications, multiple surgeries and lives that will never be the same.

These are sad stories with the same themes~ mesh implantation, symptoms, almost a universal “I’ve never seen that before” response from the medical community, then a desperate search to advocate for oneself.

That’s where we come in.  Putting a Face on Adverse Events and helping people connect to each other to find solutions, treatment, legal advice and hopefully a more productive relationship with the medical community which seems to have been led to believe that mesh-related complications could not possibly happen.

These women are not going away.  While I give no medical or legal advice, the people who have been there are very willing to talk about their successes and search for a better life.

If you have mesh and it’s been a success- Congratulations!  It remains on the market because some people seem to be helped by mesh used to treat prolapse or incontinence or hernias. Hopefully that will continue, but far too many people are crying out for some recognition that mesh carries complications for some people immediately. For others the symptoms from polypropylene mesh may be down the road. I hope that doesn’t happen to you.

I always welcome some suggestions from sponsors who would like recognition on the Sponsor Page and regular guest columns. Businesses, doctors, lawyers, anyone is welcome. Contributors are welcome too, as well as Social Media Mavens, an area where I could use help (though I’m navigating HootSuite and have regular posts to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn).

Thanks for visiting. Join in. We all speak English. We should all be able and willing to speak to each other.

Stay well always~

Jane A.

1. Donna says:

Jane,

Im glad to read and hear about your advice. As I am one of the unlucky ones with the mesh and its complications.When I had it done I thought it was normal for what was going on and to embarassed to speak to anyone.I was never notified by anyone. I had seen the commercial on tv not to long ago this is how I learned of it. I had called and she asked me what was going on and I explained what was going on.Then she informed me with the defect. I use to be an out going person who loved doing things outside and enjoyed life. Now my life has been taken away from me.Im in pain constantly, infections, Ive confined myself to the house because of the embarassing moments Ive had.Now I will be using catheters because mesh is to tight and I cant empty my bladder.Its still a shock to me and I cry everytime I think about it. You should be able to believe and trust in your dr. This is really hard for me to do now.If I was told then about the risks I NEVER would of had it done. My life has changed so drasticly. Thank God I have an understanding husband.he tries to understand what Im going threw and yea hes as mad as I am. We have always done things together for the past 32 years of our marriage and now….well it really sucks!!!!!

• Betty says:

Hi Donna,

I’ve been thinking about you and praying. I just wanted to say that what you describe is how my problems started out. My mesh took almost 2 years before it caused issues, and I now know that it was shrinking. I progressed through various stages to infections and great pain and then the inability to urinate and having to self-cath. You need to get someone to do something. I believe the mesh is shrinking in you also and thus cutting into the urethra, which in the beginning cuts off the ability to urinate. Unfortunately, the denial of the Dr.’s delayed me long enough for the urethra to be cut into. I also am celebrating (???) our 32 years of marriage and have had a supportive husband. We did things together also, and I really miss that. It does suck!!! I will add that because of all my surgeries my urethra does not work at all and I have no bladder control. I go out with poise pads and have the constant reminder of the mesh. Plus pain is a constant companion. I can get out for a short time. I have to even though I know my pain will be high. My pain is almost 0 when I wake up each day. But movement sets it off. Supposedly all the mesh is out of me, but it’s shown up a few times after full removal. They can’t see what they’re doing. It is so crazy that it’s allowed.

Now I want to rant, where someone understands!!!

My mother say’s it’s not being broadcast because of a gag order to the media. From Jane’s story I’d say, man-she must be right. But in the US? Really? We’ve been lied to on more levels than we’d like to know. One Dr. said the medical community is on a learning curve. At the expense of so many lives? Really? For a non-life and death problem. I’m sick over this. At least I’m not CRAZY as my husband was told by an ER doc. He said take her to the mental health unit. I’d like to know why the average US Dr. isn’t researching this issue and finding this website. Or do they really believe we’re all liars or there are so few of us and the majority are on the lawsuit for the $10,000 we’ll get, as that same Dr. told me. I was just one of the few unlucky ones. I also think it’s crazy that we have to do our own research and advocacy. I know a woman who can’t afford medical care on this journey, and the Dr.’s she’s seen to date tell her there are no issues with the mesh. She can’t go to the one’s who will admit it and she has the original mesh that was recalled. Insurance is another serious issue, which also lets them get away with it. Another woman I know about, has had 2 erosions of mesh, she’s a friend of my friend. She’s afraid to talk to me because she doesn’t want to hear about the horror of it all. Just cover over the 2nd erosion with another piece of thigh meat. Will the erosions stop? I think not. I’ve had too many to believe it. She wants to believe what the defense said at trial (she didn’t watch it) and what the Dr.’s say, Linda wouldn’t have been so hurt if she had just healded. That made me want to scream and run to the courtroom and say, are you kidding??? If I had waited for it to heal, after it was fine for almost 2 years I add, then I’d have had a urethra-ectomy. Just leave it alone, maybe they want us to just die and be quiet. I know their tactics would have been different with me on trial. At least the jury saw through it, I was very worried they wouldn’t. Another woman I know is just suffering with infections, no pain, but bad enough that her kidneys have shut down. She couldn’t have corroted artery surgery because of it. She refuses to let them touch her, even though she needs a “touch up”. She’s afraid she’ll be in pain like me. So she lives with it. How many are there who have not come forward for the same reasons?? If I know of 3 not coming forward, in my small town, how many are making the same choices. This is much bigger than even the courts are seeing.

2. Jane Akre says:

It is so sad when a woman in pain is considered mentally ill…..very sad. How is someone in extreme pain supposed to act? Is there some etiquette or protocol? Of course not, the best you can hope for is that there is someone to support you who can translate. Thankful to all the supportive husbands who understand!!!

ja

3. Sharon Baugus says:

Hi My name is Sharon Baugus I had tvt secur placed about 2 years ago. I have had a severe pelvic infection which required emergency surgery. My uterus had a necrotic abscess. I have severe pain down my legs and in groin area. I am 51 years old and have developed rheumatoid arthritis. I am so fatigued that spend many hours in bed due to pain. I live in Kentucky and am willing to have mesh totally removed but i do not know where to begin. Please help

Sharon-

I’m so sorry to hear of your situation. There are avenues for you to explore and I’ll gladly send you to a group of women who have been there.. I believe there is even someone in KY. You need a plan and unfortunately have to advocate for yourself now. From the women I’ve talked to, life can get better. Please let me know if I can send you to a few women. They are not lawyers or doctors, just mesh-injured folks. I don’t send your email unless you give me permission- I hope you do. Thank you for writing. It’s a first step.
      Jane A.

• Terri St says:

Dear Sharon.

I don’t know if you have found a doctor yet. I had surgery April 26,, 2010. Long story but in terrible pain from the onset. After arguing with my doctor for months he removed some of the mesh that had these tacs on it. Pain better but not gone. I did a lot of research found this doctor at UCLA , his name is Dr. Raz . He is helping 100’s of women daily get the Mesh out. He has a couple of doctors that are working with him as well. They are good too, if he needs to they work together. For the reason he is getting way too busy to help all the women. They are coming to him from different countries as well.

He did my complete Mesh removal March 28th of this year. As soon as I woke in the recovery room I knew that crap was out! I feel so much better. It cut my urethra and damaged it however I am healing nicely. The doctor said I would need one more surgery, to fix my in continence . He is really booked so the faster you call the better. Please do your own research I think you would feel better. However, I assure you he is helping many people.

Should you want to talk to me, email me and I will share with you. Good luck and take care.

Terri S.

4. I am in England and it is a long and lonely journey at first and also frightening when you have to be your own self advocate on your own health issues as no one believes what you are saying in relation to this transvaginal mesh and how it is affecting you.

We have been labelled serial attendees at Gp surgeries and also thought of as being mentally ill.

How we have proved them all wrong by looking and searching for help and finding the right surgeon to help remove this weapon of mass destruction from our bodies which by then has destroyed many parts of our anatomy.