Welcome to Mesh News Desk

Your co-editors

Your co-editors

MND, September 17, 2015 ~ For those of you new to the complications of pelvic and hernia mesh, Mesh News Desk has been covering the issue for more than four years now.   We’ve been to several trials and listened to the evidence.  It’s quite clear that there are problems with pelvic mesh and hernia mesh.  It’s also abundantly clear that doctors are still not up to speed on those complications.  One woman said recently her doctor made circles around her ear (ie crazy) when the patient said she suspected her complications started after an implant.

Adding insult to injury.

Pelvic mesh and hernia mesh is almost all made from polypropylene (PP) and the manufacturing process is similar to the PP used for fishing line. It was not intended to be made into medical devices,according to the Material Safety Data sheets that accompany the raw resin.

Not to say all complications are mesh-related. Some may be from preexisting conditions. But the high number of pain, infections, autoimmune reactions, rashes, fibromyalgia, and lupus readers complain of are too many to explain away.

This month we have a study that indicates better trained high-volume doctors have fewer complications.  What we’ve learned from trials defies that logic.   Many high volume doctors, who were hired as consultants and preceptors to mesh makers have patients who complain of complications. Could it be the polypropylene?

Four years ago this month, the FDA began looking to reclassify mesh for pelvic organ prolapse as High Risk. What’s happened?  Nothing.  September 24th the FDA will look at another medical device harming women, the Essure birth control permanent implant, made by Bayer.  Stay tuned.  The hearing promises to be well-attended.

After a lull in trials this spring and summer, as the court hoped each side would come to some settlement talks, trials will start gearing up this fall. Johnson & Johnson and its Ethicon division will be the subject of much litigation. The company already has an unfavorable running from two juries that its TVT-O mesh was defectively designed. Still it remains on the market.

This is not just a U.S. problem as we export our mesh products globally and the number of pelvic mesh injured women exceed 100,000 globally.

Settlements are coming in from a few mesh manufacturers.  There is a disclosure clause with any settlement, however many tell MND they’re being told to sign papers that will end any chance of future litigation in exchange for a few thousand dollars. In some cases for zero dollars after Medicaid, the law firms, insurance and lenders are all paid. Many women are just saying “No.”  Some fire their law firms and look for other representation.

If you have not checked into it, please consider a further medical workup for pudendal nerve damage.  Life Care Solutions and Dr. Greg Vigna, who is a sponsor, is offering to work with your law firm on that diagnosis and a life care plan to outline your medical needs in the future. The dollar amounts will be considered as part of your settlement before the Special Master.

There are now 81,000 lawsuits filed in one court, consolidated before Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, WV.  That will be the location of many of the upcoming trials.  Expect rallies outside of the court.

As a publisher, Mesh News Desk will do what it can to provide information to empower those injured.  This is not intended to substitute for advice from your law firm (your editor is not a lawyer or a doctor). Unfortunately, there are far too many stories of law firms failing to communicate with their clients. Firms can file press releases on these pages to speak to their clients and reach thousands of readers a day.  Our policy is to label sponsored content as such. Comments on this site may result in enrollment in a Mesh Newsletter, which is published occasionally.

Please consider writing for Mesh News Desk. You can remain anonymous.  Your opinions are welcomed and valued.

PayPal donations are much appreciated. See Page One. My co-editors appreciate it!

Stay well everyone. I’d love to hear your thoughts.   Let’s carry on shall we?

~ Jane Akre, Editor

Mesh News Desk

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. I am with you, Jane Akre! Thank you for your tireless research and journalism. Please let your readers know to apply before tomorrow (9/18/2015) for full scholarships to PCORI (Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute) Annual meeting October 6-8 in Arlington, VA? http://www.pcori.org/events/2015/pcori-annual-meeting

Reproductive Health and Patient-Centered Outcomes Research – Breakout Session Wednesday, October 7 2015

2:15-3:45p

2. Mamohio says:

HELL YES! WE ALL SHOULD CARRY ON. WE ARENT EVEN AT THE TOP OF THIS HILL YET. 2 STEPS FORWARD AND 3 STEPS BACK IS GETTING US NOWHERE. CONTINUE………. I REMAIN OPTIMISTIC THAT JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL.

3. Anonymous Anonymous says:

These manufacturers are trying there best to make this go away thinking if they just don’t do nothing these brutally injured people will just go away But We Will Not Go Away!!!!!!!! Our day will come and justice will be done.

• Bejah B says:

Dear AA,

If you have the courage and the stomach for it, go back and read the history of these corporations, read of the tens of thousands they have butchered in the past, the families left in shambles, the generational psychological scarring, the destruction of communities, the dismantled futures of countless children, and the snuffed out lives of the elderly and diseased.

This situation we are in is but one chapter, one story, in a bloody tear stained archive, a dark tower of the horiffic backstorry of the economic successes of this nation. Did you think it was just dogs and horses and sheep and mice that were surgically altered for the sake of “science”? How long will it be I wonder before people sell their bodies, their lives so they can pay off their mortgage and save their family home? How long will it be before families sell their children for research like they do in certain Asian nations? People are selling their kidneys as we speak. What are we becomming? What is the definition of humanity? Have we gotten to the point where we no longer care?

Knowlege is power AA, and it has been said so many times that those of us who fail to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them yet we do not seem to hear. We do not want to read what will surely upset us, and what can we do anyway. I for one believe one person can change the world so it does matter. We can not stop JnJ until we know the history, the patterns, the motivation, the global perspective of this entity and then take action.

JnJ does not see us as individuals, as human beings…it sees us as masses of creatures of questionable merit with little intellectual value…they see us as useful test subjects, non threatening and replacable. So read the background if you can and then tell us what you see.

Bejah

4. Terri says:

I find myself so numb to everything I read anymore. I have had problems since day 1. I now have had three surgeries, numerous ER visits, countless Dr visits. Nerve blocks, future nerve blocks and I’m so tired all the time I can’t stand it. I’m learning to live with a life of pain and comfortableness, but I do wake up every morning and thank god that I do. I hope all of you hang in there and continue to look for the help you deserve.

God Bless,

Terri M.

5. Aunt B says:

Dear Jane, you seem like a strong spirit fighting for so many peoples rights .my hats off to you.I sometime think theres no light at the end of this tunnel. I am saddened by the way they have been advertising all this about such a personal private matter. and to have to become celibate at the age of 50 and then being single is not easy to get back in to the dating scene not knowing that everything is still the same because is not after you go under the knife.also coming from a very small community everybody seems to know everybody’s business !!! no it hasn’t been easy keeping something so private … (private)!! !Eveyday i wake up crying! I had my sling removed Had it in for 10 yrs! Nightmare from hell!always felt that there was something foreign inside me absolutely was!!

• MAMOHIO says:

Aunt B, I too have 2 mesh and 10 yrs of scar tissue. The drs I have spoke with said the complications with trying to remove the mesh are too high. Risks vs Reward is not there. Are you truly any better after removing the mesh? Dis they truly get it all cause they said the arms cannot be removed. I know this is a private conversation but can you email me at cleveland_browns43342@yahoo.com and share your struggle and story with me. I would like to gain some insight on total mesh removal. I have not heard anything good or enough good to risk anymore surgeries. Thank you and God bless. I am 53 and yes I feel the same way. But god will send you someone to love you for you. I believe that.