Welcome October- Media Tsunami Over Mesh Mess

//Welcome October- Media Tsunami Over Mesh Mess

Welcome October- Media Tsunami Over Mesh Mess

Light Brigade, 2014, New Brunswick, NJ

Welcome October 2017 to Mesh Medical Device News Desk~

This past month has seen an incredible uptick in the number of mainstream media stories generated on the mesh controversy.  Canadian television, Australia, UK, Scotland  – all front page stories on the mesh controversy!

Calls from media coming into Mesh News Desk (Mesh Medical Device News Desk)  like never before in its entire 6 year history and reporters are really interested in the nuts and bolts of this story.

Finally!!!!

Thank you if you have worked with your local media to raise awareness on this important issue!  Thank you, thank you!

The media coverage is not good news for the manufacturers of polypropylene mesh who continue to insist that adverse events or complications are very low, while they continue to lose millions in court and have their products judged defective. The truth is estimates on injuries are not known but estimated to be as high as 30%.

It is not good news for the many doctors who cling to the outdated notion that a device that has harmed hundreds of thousands is the “Gold Standard.”

As I write this AUGS, the American Urogynecological Association is preparing to hold its industry-supported annual meeting in Providence, Rhode Island Oct. 3-7. Having attended it last year (and being disinvited after a series of stories) the medical society continues to shun patient presence while highlighting Key Opinion Leaders who head many of the sessions while serving as consultants to industry.

There continues to exist a huge disconnect between actual patient outcomes and the medical societies continued insistence on retropubic and transobturator midurethral slings as a first-line treatment for SUI.  Patient presence would help. See AUGS on industry underwriters.

Sheila Bossier,
Bossier & Assoc. 877-204-6883

Welcome to lawyer, Sheila Bossier of Bossier and Associates as a new advertiser to Mesh News Desk! Ms. Bossier is one of the few remaining lawyers who is committed to seeing through mesh injuries to trial or settlement, especially considering mesh is still being used and injuries will continue to occur.

Mesh Medical Device News Desk is advertiser-based, and very appreciative of your donations to keep the door open. We are NOT a legal referral service and your name is never shared.

And hernia implanted patients continue to call Mesh News Desk and patient advocate, Bruce Rosenberg at record numbers. Best to text him at 954-701-5094. He may be able to direct you. Information here should not substitute for legal or medical advice from professionals!

If you have a mesh implant please 1) keep your medical records 2) familiarize yourself with the manufacturer and type of mesh you have 3) if you are represented by a law firm, insist on seeing a copy of your case and make sure it has been filed, get a case number.  If you are not yet represented, be a wise consumer and negotiate your contract with a law firm. As they say, everything is negotiable!

Mesh News Desk (MND or MMDND) has been covering the issues surrounding pelvic and hernia mesh for more than five years now.

Please enter your search terms in the Search Bar to do research.  If  you click on the headers such as “Legal”  “News” “Medical” you will see stories filed under that topic, more than 1,000 now.  Please do not use your last names when you comment!  You can also post anonymously, making up a name.

Your donations help keep the doors open.  Your purchase of BeautyCounter products will help sustain Mesh Medical Device News Desk. Start Shopping here!  Thank you.

By | 2017-10-01T21:20:13+00:00 October 1st, 2017|Welcome|31 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Lordhelpus October 8, 2017 at 9:05 am - Reply

Praise the Lord!!!! His hand is moving!!!

• Orchid October 9, 2017 at 2:14 pm - Reply

This is awesome news!! God is Good♥️
      Truth is Freedom????

• Bejah Blue October 16, 2017 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Dear Lordhelpus, I just want to tell you how much I love your imagery….I have not thought of that before. Lovely. Thx.

Bejah

2. Bejah Blue October 10, 2017 at 7:16 pm - Reply

The fact that Jane was “disinvited” (see below) is clear and present evidence, damning evidence that this organization is simply put a hand maiden of drug and device producing corporations and all of their representatives, lobbyists, etc. This is the blatant evil we are dealing with. Where do your physicians stand? We have known for a long time that the American Medical Association is no friend of the people of this country. Think of all the jobs that are still sent overseas where production costs are lower….leaving Americans without jobs, losing their homes, unable to find other meaningful employment or pay for even basic needs. Does this not bother you? Do you realize how these corporations are destroying this nation and its people? It is time to wake up. It is time to become warriors, all of us. Bejah

3. Pat October 11, 2017 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Jane,two more settlements listed in NJ MDL 2327.Don’t know how many cases,but two law firms.One dated today,one on Sept 29

4. bejah Blue October 11, 2017 at 11:41 pm - Reply

Just want to say how beautiful the “light brigade” image is…nice work people. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my odd little heart.

Bejah

5. Tracy October 22, 2017 at 12:32 pm - Reply

I was made an offer by Ethicon back in the summer and I accepted. I haven’t heard anything else. However when I look up my case in WV it shows that is was closed in September. I’m confused by what this means.

• Jane Akre October 23, 2017 at 12:22 am - Reply

Your law firm? What do they say? Did you get a final number? What percentage for the firm?

• Bejah Blue October 24, 2017 at 8:55 pm - Reply

That is not good. Best to have all of that filter through your law firm assuming you trust them. I agree that you should advise them and should have already, they will not be happy that you spoke to a defendant rep outside of your contractural arrangement with them. I am preparing a letter to the defendant in my case but my law firm will approve it before I send it. I am also preparing a letter to others involved and these also will be presented to the firm representing me first for approval and comment. Be careful. You do not want to alienate those representing you. It is improper legally and morally. I do understand how you could make such a mistake innocently. Just be careful. Bejah

• Erma October 26, 2017 at 4:51 pm - Reply

What are your thoughts on a law firm that sends my case to a third party claim as a class suit and never informs me until after the fact. Plus asks all mesh clients if they would like to dispose of their mesh so they can save $25 a month for mesh storage?

• Jane Akre October 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Disposing of mesh may not be a good idea if you are going to trial. The “class” is simply the easier way to get the cases through the court…. even in a class you can still have your day in court (trial) but you can also rely on the evidence that’s been gathered, very important since this evidence is costly to gather. A single law firm would never do that on their own without sharing resources with other law firms. So the “class” also known as multidistrict litigation (MDL) is not a bad idea. I’m not a lawyer….I feel you should always be informed of any changes to your lawsuit but sadly, that is not happening here with many firms.

• Bejah Blue October 27, 2017 at 11:29 am - Reply

Makes me think of how our mortgages are often sold to other entities and we are the last to know! I agree…do not dispose of the mesh. Sounds like they are not thinking of you but a quick pay date! Yuck. Sorry dear….Bejah

6. Lucy Loo October 25, 2017 at 6:40 pm - Reply

AUGS is a joke. Device-makers, pharma and incontince product companies fund their initiatives. It’s just so sad that patients aren’t given unbais information – instead therapies paid for by the highest bidder are pushed on Drs who then shovel the same junk on to their patients and the suffering continues!

• Bejah Blue October 27, 2017 at 11:30 am - Reply

And that, ladies and gentlemen is how the world works. What we must do is be aware and circumvent it as best we can. Bejah

• Bejah Blue November 2, 2017 at 8:04 am - Reply

Lucy, Do you mind if I ask you if you are the actress who goes by the same name? If so, a special welcome I say! I hope you will consider lending your celebrity to our ever so worthy cause! Bejah

7. TRISH October 26, 2017 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Was informed by my law firm ..that since my mesh TVT..wasn’t one that was being removed from the market…that there was no chance of being compensated….because I hadn’t had a revision surgery.Never mind ..that I have been in pain, seen.. twice by the Dr. and told that the pain was due to a hole in my uterus..never mind..that I have not had a cycle in over 7 years. This is like a game to them. Johnson and Johnson have the money. And I have been suffering for years. At least my law firm was honest enough to let me know.

• Jane Akre October 26, 2017 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Honest enough? After how many years? TVT mesh in place has always been in the matrix as eligible for settlement, not as much $ certainly. I’m wondering, if you have had complications, why have you not consulted with a mesh removal expert? I will write you privately…. thank you.

• S Williams October 27, 2017 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I was just wondering, has anyone been able to go out on permanent disability. I had to leave my job because I just could not concentrate any longer and got extremely fatigued. I am now having problems with my heart, it seems if its not one thing, its another. I also have other issues, I just wanted to see if anyone else was able to get on disability. Thanks

• Jane Akre October 27, 2017 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Absolutely, many women seek and get disability, often not the first time they apply, but yes, that happens. Anyone chime in?

• Bejah Blue October 30, 2017 at 5:31 pm - Reply

I am on disability but I was before implant for a very different reason. I too, however am increasingly exhausted. an exhaustion I find it difficult to articulate…very deep and abiding…I feel like I must be dying. There is no other explanation for it. The mesh implant must be the causative factor but the problem may be the burden of proof…linking it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Part of the way we make this argument is by sheer force of numbers. How many of us share this profound exhaustion? Thanks for your post. Pray that you find some comfort somewhere. Bejah

• Anon October 31, 2017 at 8:03 pm - Reply

S Williams…. I also have problems with my heart. Please tell me… what mesh product do you have?

• bejah blue November 1, 2017 at 5:55 am

Dear Anon, I do not know who you are asking, but I have the Ethicon Prolift (Perhaps one of the worst if one can make that distinction). And I always feel compelled to say I was NOT complaining of prolapse and I was NOT complaining of incontinence. I went to UCLA anxious to know how to care for the malformed kidneys I had just learned about and that was twisted into candidcacy for this horrific “device”. What can I say…. Bejah

• S Williams November 1, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I had Prolene Mesh placed in 2009 and had it taken out in 2014. This last year I also developed a Thyroid Condition, Sleep Apenea, Ashma, Migraine Headaches, and Chronic Sinus Infections. I hope this is the end of what will come. Take care

• Jane Akre November 2, 2017 at 11:30 am

You don’t say whether you have hernia or pelvic mesh. There are many things that can account for these reactions as well, especially as we age…. I hope you take the opportunity to explore lifestyle changes to determine if any changes could remedy the situation…. then again, it could be a reaction to the mesh… we really don’t know.

• Trish October 27, 2017 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I Have been to my Ob-Gyn Dr.here in Roanoke ,VA.and even thou the pain was and has always been in the same place. Right lower side. They say it has nothing to do with the mesh. Yet they ..don’t even work with the same Dr.who put the mesh implant in,and after 7 years of no periods, I slowly start to have a odd color spotting of blood and pain. So went to my OB-GYN. he had a biopsy done. And I kid you not. Right on the report the first words were. Shocked! As if explaining to a kid he told me that “it was necrotic tissue, from a small hole in my upper uterus”. That there was vaginal scarring.so they fixed the hole. And I should be better. I no longer trust them. And when I even mentioned the mesh tvt..they said they weren’t involved in that. So as far as I know…there are no Dr.s around the Roanoke area. Who will touch the subject or get involved. And, yes ,I told my lawyers, but, they said since it didn’t say mesh revision surgery. That flat out.. Johnson and Johnson weren’t going to pay one red cent. Even with the pain and suffering I have gone thru. So if you have any advice I will gladly listen .Thank you

and after 7 years of no periods,i slowly start to have a odd color spotting of blood and pain.So went to my OB-GYN. he had a biopspy done..and I kid you not..right on the report the first words were..Shocked!!!!.

• Jane Akre October 28, 2017 at 12:04 am - Reply

So wait- The pain and suffering is not due to mesh! Really!!! Vaginal scarring, hole in the uterus,,,your must have fallen down and scrapped your uterus! (sorry for the sarcasm but really….) Second- the law firm took your case and now tells you JNJ will pay nothing? Really! Why did they take your case and hold it for so long?

It sounds like only now are you finding out that you have mesh complications….. I’m not a doc or lawyer, but if you go to a mesh expert, you could get a real consult as to what’s happening. Complications can happen a decade after an implant, it is not unusual. Removal may not be recommended, but it may be! Please don’t get a partial, go to a pro who can get it all out, if it recommended. Do you have insurance? I’m sorry but I do not know of any experienced docs in the Roanoke area. But your case is of utmost importance, not saving the insurance company money. There are docs others recommend. Write me and I will discuss janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Bejah Blue October 27, 2017 at 11:34 am - Reply

Keep the pressure on Trish. A friend of mine is trying to approach local media now to get me airtime to talk about our issues. My guess is they will decline across the board due to stuff like sponsor opinion, etc. The usual. We will see. If we get a go I may call out to Jane to come and do the segment with me. We should all try to do this esp. if we are in a large market (urban area). Bejah