Washington State Sets Trial Date to Hold J&J Liable for Mesh Injuries

//Washington State Sets Trial Date to Hold J&J Liable for Mesh Injuries

Washington State Sets Trial Date to Hold J&J Liable for Mesh Injuries

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, November 1, 2018~  The Attorney General of Washington State is moving ahead with holding Johnson & Johnson liable for deceptively marketing pelvic mesh in its state.

Washington State AG Office Asks To Hold J&J Liable, Sets Trial Date

In 2016, Washington State’s Attorney General sued J&J over the costs the state advanced to take care of women injured by the company’s pelvic mesh.

The state wants to be reimbursed upward of $24 million.

In an effort to move along the litigation, the AG has filed motions for partial summary judgment in King County Superior Court asking the judge to rule that J&J misrepresented the serious risks posted by its surgical mesh devices.

A trial date has been set for April 22, 2019 on any issues that remain unresolved.

The Motion for Partial Summary Judgment is set to be heard on December 14, 2018.

The AG’s office says the company violated state consumer protection statutes when it failed to tell consumers its permanently implanted polypropylene meshes can cause chronic inflammation, chronic foreign body reaction, harbors infection, can protrude into an organ, cause permanent loss of sexual function among other complications.

*Note* The Motion outlines how J&J’s adverse reaction warnings changed over the years.

*Many of the J&J/ Ethicon meshes have been found defective in a court of law.

*J&J makes, Gynemesh PS, Prolift, TVT-Exact, Prolift +M, TVT-Secur, TVT-Abbrevo, Prosima, Artisyn, and TVT.

*The healthcare giant quietly and voluntarily removed four meshes from the market in June 2012 – Prolift, Prolift +M, TVT-Secur and Prosima.

Attorney General Bob Ferguson warns that J&J should not engage in unfair or deceptive marketing of mesh products and that the healthcare giant did knowingly omit serious, life-altering complications from the instructions that came with every device sold from 1999 to 2015.

The state is seeking the maximum penalty of $2,000 per violation along with costs, fees, restitution and other relief which could amount to $24 million.

J&J updated its instructions for use in late 2015.

Disintegrating J&J mesh, Terri Rogers

It’s estimated J&J sold more than 12,000 such polypropylene devices in Washington state between 2002 and 2015.  The pelvic mesh is used to hold up a sagging pelvic floor and organs or to suspend a urethra. It is a permanent implant that did not undergo any clinical trials before being marketed.

Among those who have joined in this lawsuit include one Washington State woman who is home bound because she must use a catheter to empty her bladder. She suffers from chronic urinary tract infection and pain down her legs after her mesh was implanted eight years ago.

Another mesh implant woman has endured three separate surgeries to partially remove the mesh. She still suffers from incontinence and pain.

J&J and its Ethicon division continue to sell four of its polypropylene pelvic mesh medical devices in Washington State. In its September 30th SEC statement (here) J&J says it is facing 37,500 pelvic mesh cases but that most are in the process of settling.

Women can still file a complaint online (here) or by calling the Consumer Resource Center at 1-800-551-4636.

Washington State is joined by Kentucky, Mississippi and California in seeking reimbursement for mesh injury expenses in their respective states.  ###

LEARN MORE:

Washington State Complaint, May 24, 2016 Here

California State Complaint, May 24, 2016  Here

Motion for Partial Summary Judgment, October 26, 2018, for SUI and POP Meshes Here and Here:

MND, Surgical Mesh Crisis: Regulatory Action & Inaction Here

MND, Kentucky AG Files Deceptive Marketing Lawsuit Against Johnson & Johnson Over Surgical Mesh, August 16, 2016, Here

Washington State AG Office PRESS Release Here

By | 2018-11-08T20:33:46+00:00 November 1st, 2018|Sticky|37 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Debra Michael November 2, 2018 at 4:10 am - Reply

I wish your lawyers would set up in the UK. I had J & J mesh in 2006 & that was the start of many problems.
    Solicitors here will only take on a case for Avaulta mesh I had in 2014 but it’s the 06 that’s done the most damage.

2. anonymous November 2, 2018 at 9:29 am - Reply

To many attorneys are walking away from mesh trials. It leaves the victims with no alternatives. This is a tragedy of enormous proportions. To many woman are still being mutilated by mesh. Even after the mesh is gone the complications continue. I applaud these states for doing what every state should do. Once I get paid I will be so much more outspoken about what has happened. I will go to my governor and my attorney general and make sure they know my story. It is absolutely insane that this is continuing in our country. There is nothing to gain except cold hard cash for these companies. We as women suffer so much already and it continues. We are used as lab rats and no one seems to care or have much compassion that hasn’t lived through it. Jane has been a super woman fighting to educate everyone and has helped so many of us fight to be treated right. But in the end like Still Standing to many will end up with life long complications and there is no turning the clock back. The FDA should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this process to continue. However we all know how things get approved so fast. Again money is at the root. I hope some day you face your God (all you companies, attorneys, doctors who did what ever they wanted to make a buck) and he turns his back on you. Thank you to all the states that are going after these rat bast**ds. Give them hell and take all the money they made off of mesh away from them. I keep praying but help has been to slow for to many of us. I’d like to see how, if at all, history remembers what we have had to endure.

• Jane Akre November 2, 2018 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Interesting that your implanting doctor also implanted three other catastrophically injured women. AND he is still in business.

3. S November 2, 2018 at 4:39 pm - Reply

They (attorneys, Pharmaceutical giant) have moved on to the next money maker.. Ethicon PHYSIOMESH Flexible Composite Mesh Device (specific). The hernia mesh MDL 2782 will hear its first Bellwether case in late 2019, in the Northern District of Georgia.

4. Anon November 2, 2018 at 6:44 pm - Reply

The problem I see is most likely the states will win but that’s the states with money to fight. And the companies will settle but again more with their hands in money that the ingured victums won’t see. Not sure any victums will win just attorneys states and doctors seems just about everyone will get something but us who suffer and live with it. Am I wrong here. The states just want money from taking care of us but we have lost our lives as we know it. Do you think for one moment these states will help us anymore than they had to anyway. Hell no it goes in their budget not to us.

5. Anon November 2, 2018 at 6:58 pm - Reply

I was told by my attorney over 5 yrs ago we shouldn’t go after the doctors. My thing is I bet if we all had done so good and bad this would be over with. If every doctor using this crap was dragged in this would be over

• Still Standing November 4, 2018 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Medical malpractice cases are very difficult to win. Only 20% are won by the plaintiff. They are one of the most expensive cases to mount. There are no medical malpractive mass torts. Each case has its own discovery, expert witness costs. For this reason, attorneys use careful caution when they evaluate a case.

It seems that according to this article, there have been women who have joined in this lawsuit. Im not sure how that works, whether those women will receive a percentage of the award if they are successful in trial. I imagine most states dont really want to go to trial because of the cost, but file these cases to force a settlement.

• Jane Akre November 5, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Women will not recover from these state actions- they are simply for the state to recover what it lost in caring for its residents. Every action though chips away at the veneer of “safety and efficacy” that the manufacturers continue to tout. They cannot withstand too many of these large awards and still claim theirs is the gold standard… just my opinion.

6. addison November 4, 2018 at 3:58 am - Reply

Thank you for years of reporting and support.

7. Elizabeth November 4, 2018 at 11:28 am - Reply

Yes j n j offered gross amt to me that after attorneys fees and costs then medical liens from health insurance payors i would not recieve anything. I will hold out for more positive outcome. I still have to live with the injuries. Attorneys and healthcare providers DO NOT. If states can recover costs directly why are they also dipping intonation individual cases. Whole mess is corrupt.

• Still Standing November 4, 2018 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Elizabeth, how are you going to get a better outcome since the tiers and payouts are set? Did your attorney agree to go back and ask for more. on your behalf or did they release you to find other representation? If so, have you been able to do that?

Here is the truth in all of this. Even if a woman gets substantial monetary award, she will always have to live with the injuries even if she can afford the most expert medical team. There will always be medical issues. I’m a prime example of that as are countless other women. Given that, we can choose to live with anger and a sense of victimization or live with purpose and joy. That is not easy to do at all, but it is possible. I have been at Mayo for more than three months for life threatening pelvic mesh complications, brutal,surgeries but will be able to return home in the next two weeks. Yesterday, I ended up in the emergency room for most of the day. The attending ER doctor told me he could not believe my positive attitude and how well I have recovered from the surgery six weeks ago. All of my doctors have told me the very same thing. I’m not necessarily a Pollyanna and eternal,optimist, but I made a solid decision after I was told what was going to happen that I would find joy when there was none, make a negative into a positive, and be grateful for even the smallest ray of hope. I was originally told I would be in the hospital for weeks, but was discharged on day 13. i truly believe the decision I made going in to have a sense of humor and a mindful response to what was happening, even those things that I could not control made the difference.

Changing how we react to this tragedy wont make it go away. But it will change how we move through our lives and reduce our suffering. When I sat down with my nine year old granddaughter in September to tell her why I had been so sick all summer and unable to spend much time with her and to tell her I would be away for several months, but then I would be ok,and be back before Christmas she cried and said she had thought I was dying. Then she put her little hand on my knee and said “Grammy, you can do this.” I’ve carried that message of hope through all of this and I will use that affirmation through the rest of my recovery. We can all do this maybe not in the way we wanted but in a way that honors our gifts of life.

• Jane Akre November 5, 2018 at 10:52 am - Reply

Still- You are amazing and an inspiration! Thank you for helping others!

• Very disappointed November 11, 2018 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Did you get offered a settlement I did too very low . What has your Lawyer said about refusing your settlement im talking to my lawyer tomorrow.

8. Steve November 4, 2018 at 7:15 pm - Reply

My comment is why wouldn’t you go after the doctors especially when alot of the victims were economically profiled it’s also hard to believe that the drs were not aware. And the hospitals where these surgeries were performed don’t even have a title on the surgical report instead a place offset and lower which reads “pre-procedure diagnosis” and some dates of the procedure 1-3 days off. The prescription process doesn’t get properly used and there’s the dr who ultimately decides on the type and hes the one who failed to read or show packaging to the patient.none of the pharmaceutical process was followed so someone needs to be accountable also on the various categories and regulations that this so called device doesn’t fit into and cant logically be regulated by all of them or any for that matter. The catagory of this so called product that I’ve found to be most accurate in definition is. Biological weapon when you thoroughly are informed about the product as well as its contents you go through all of the stuff that’s supposed to protect us there’s no place it fits except bio weaponry. And if it comes from over seas and injures us citizens may even be considered terrorist attack under definition. So we all are aware of our govt response to terrorism yet no response however this would elevate the stranglehold that being monetarily disadvantaged brings to recourse of the matter and the possibility of recourse at all the terrorist victims fund is one of the largest of it’s kind and would be a useful tool for countering the abandonment of responsibility that is so rampid… some of the cause if not all is due to the manufacturers taking things into there own hands and adding multiple unsafe details without properly going through a process of similarity something that fda claims is its sole role in 510k process which I say wow cause fda denies 510 as a safety check yet Thomas Paine common sense tells us that safety has to be the first priority of everyone as well as any step or process especially since were dealing w human body. Your feedback welcomed …God bless those with mesh.

• Still Standing November 5, 2018 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Steve, you put a lot of things out there to consider. I would like to know where you got your information about economically disadvantaged people “targeted “ for mesh. Im not aware of this in the pelvic mesh realm and I havent been able to find any information about it at all. I don’t know if you can make the claim that we were somehow indiscriminately targeted. The mesh manufacturers did not randomly pick us out as people they wanted to harm. We DID go to the doctor wanting help with prolapse or SUI. We had some choice there, no, we were not able to make a fully informed choice but no one dragged us, drugged us, and put in mesh over loud protestation.

Your terrorism arguement is interesting and is a bit disturbing. I dont think mesh could be considered a biological weapon or terrorism. I worked at ground zero. I know what terrorism looks like. I would never attempt to equate what I have experienced with mesh to what happened at ground zero or the Pentagon or Oklahoma City or in countries who experience real terrorism every day in Syria, Afghanistan, the Gaza strip and so many others. That kind of takes this to an uncomfortable level. It isnt just people in the USA who have been injured by mesh. They are women all over the world.

As a woman who has experienced devastating complications, I still think it is important to realize that this happened because people in power in these corporations made selfish and horrible decisions based on their own monetary benefit without concern for the wonen who trusted them to make decisions based on best possible outcomes for the patients. While that is unconscionable, it doesnt measure up to the level of terrorism.

I truly believe that focusing on conspiracy speculation does not help us deal with this in a positive way. It happened. We were damaged. But, we have to figure out how to get out of the victim hole where it will swallow us up.

9. Anonymous November 6, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

Still standing you are an inspiration however, Not everybody can look at the world through rose colored glasses. Please understand I’m not cutting you down or criticizing you. But some of us have had our entire lives destroyed by mesh and the complications. Some of us do not have and will not have the money to continue a decent life. We will struggle just to survive. Yes I will find times that I can Try to find the joy in the moment. I will try to find things that make me happy. But the truth of the matter is I’m too old to start over. I will lose my home my husband my dreams my hope of retiring and traveling. I to have been offered what they consider it a great settlement and yet by the time everything’s paid I will get very little. I will have to live either homeless or in low income housing which in my city Is the equivalent of living with drug dealers rats cockroaches etc…. No I don’t feel sorry for myself I’m more just pissed off at these big medical companies that don’t care about what happens to us. I think you’re amazing woman for after what you’ve been through to have such a great outlook and I say I’m so happy for you. But you have to understand also there are others out here who don’t have the resources To even begin to live a normal life. I will have staggering doctor bills, a body thats in pain the rest of my life My doctor’s words not mine. I will more than likely be end up in soup kitchens to have a decent meal. This is where meshs has left me yes and I’m not exaggerating. I count the days before I lose my home. I count the days before I lose everything that has ever matter to me in my life. Thank you mesh for destroying my life. There will be warm days, there will be days when the cool breeze blows over me and I will remember all that I had wished for and hope for. The only thing that I can hang on to now is one day none of this will matter anymore. And I believe God will take care of me. I was a fool for letting the doctor put this plastic in me. I did not know that plastic If you would indoor outdoor carpet would be put into me I was lied to. But in my city the doctors are never sued because they’re all friends in the elite club with the attorneys. And yes I got this from an attorney in Texas who look for over a week for an attorney who would Sue my doctor and they couldn’t find one. I understand what you say about a victim hole And I try not to think about where I am and the surgeries I’ve had to go through. But by the attorneys own words in the paperwork I have to sign I have extraordinary injuries that I have to live with the rest of my life. I am a victim and I will be reminded of that daily. At this point I hope life is short. I’m glad you have family that will support you I’m glad that you will somehow survived this with a brighter outlook. I’m so happy that you try to support everybody. But please don’t look down on us whose lives have been completely and utterly destroyed. Please don’t expect us who are going to be left with absolutely nothing To not be angry sad or hopeless. Yes I’ve gone to every agency and help center I can. I was making a very good life and now I will have to live the life Of somebody who is Desolute. I don’t feel sorry for myself I’m just more angry. But yet There are though are those days That I do sit and cry because I was lied to. I was told we would go to court I was told I would get a good settlement. I feel like I was part of a bait and hook scheme. I’m not sure what’s going to happen to me. I will not let sadness consume me but it is a constant companion. Too many women have lost their homes their husbands all they had planned for in the future all because of a surgery concealed in complete and utter lies. I survive each day wondering when the next shoe will fall. I do not live my life as a victim and yet everything about my life says I am. A victim of something so insidious and done completely out of one’s moral greed for money That it is uncomprehensible at times. I’ll try to give you an update in a year But then again I don’t even know if I have enough money to have a phone. Again I’m not exaggerating but some people’s stories with mesh are so extremely sad I don’t know how they can not live their lives as a victum. What about the people who have died from infections. How can their families not feel that pain every day? But the point is these States can Sue all they want but will the money go to the women? How is this happening in the United States. And I wonder about all the animals that they’ve done these tests on what kind of suffering do they do? Their living beings at feel pain to. What has happened in our country where money is more important than people? Perhaps it’s time that we stopped trying to fix our bodies so much and learned to live with the complications of growing old or having big babies or whatever the reason was That we all had mesh put in our bodies. Because the alternative to trying to fix our bodies is only more pain and suffering. I for one will never ever have anything done to my body again. No new shoulders no new knees no hip replacement nothing. The price I’ve paid for having incontinence has been far greater than the incontinence itself. And it’s just not worth it. I realize some women had No choices when part of your body is hanging out of you. But it should be against the law to put this kind of product in a body. I am a victim of mesh And I will not pretend that I do not suffer. You can ask people who know me I never complain of the pain I just keep it inside me but it riddles my body every day and I’ve grown so old over the last several years That my face looks 10 years older than it should. No we can’t let it consume us but let’s not pretend it didn’t Happen. We must spread the word we must be angry we must fight so that no other women have to go through this. We must share it with whoever we can and I do, it’s the only way I know how to fight And not let what’s happened to me consume me But at the same time let’s not pretend it didn’t happen. But even more I need to warn my sisters so they don’t have to live like I do. I thought the 60 minutes piece would do more but again because we are women I believe it does not matter that much. It is a sad state of affairs. So those of you who must feel sad go ahead feel sad. Feel mad. But just know and keep the faith that 1 day those who have hurt you will be taken care of I know that in my heart. All their money and won’t buy them a place in heaven but it sure will in h*** And that includes any crooked lawyers and judges who took pay outs to settle their claims.

10. Still Standing November 6, 2018 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Anonymous, I hear you and Im so sorry for what you are going through. You are right. I have resources to fall back on and I am abundantly grateful for that and I did not want to judge or minimalize you anger and pain. The surgery I just had did not make me whole again by any means. . I, too have lost the.ife I knew, my hopes and dreams. We always drove used cars and we did not have a big fancy house because my husband planned well for our retirement. That doesnt look anything like what we are actually spending our retirement investments on, but Im thankful that he did what he did.

You have a right to be angry. Im sorry that my post minimalized how you feel. It was not my intention. I just try to be a cheerleader and sometimes go,too far. Actually, I think I write that way because I need to feel positive for my own emotional sanity. We just all have to do and feel what is personally going to get us through the day.

• Advocate November 7, 2018 at 2:40 pm - Reply

Still, I find you to be an amazing and inspirational woman. I am often times humbled by your posts because they are delivered with compassion and understanding from both the victim and the representing point of view. My countless number of conversations, trying to convey the very things that you say, even using the same words, often go by the wayside. After multiple attempts to help victims understand that there must be a rational expectation to the desired goal, we still end up with those who can’t or won’t accept, what is out of any one individual’s control. You have done that and it is quite inspiring and frankly, from my personal view point, spiritually inspiring.
      Because you lift others, I want to share something that I hope you will hold close as you go forward with your life, something that I had to learn in the devastation of combat. My job was in an elite military group charged with getting back those troops or individuals, who had been trapped or captured. The credo, nobody left behind, was not a slogan but a mandate in our lives. The sad reality is, there were times when we couldn’t live up to that mandate. We can’t always save those we are so trusted to save. Sometimes, they just won’t allow themselves to be saved. Please never punish yourself or lose any of your wonderful light because others can’t or won’t allow themselves enlightenment. Your gifts are precious and limited, therefore, never let your positive drive be extinguished by others. Much love and respect to you and your family.

11. Anonymous November 7, 2018 at 9:24 am - Reply

O honey I’m not against you I’m really not. I can’t imagine going through your surgery that you had to. I’m just so pissed off what had to happen to you at all. Yes sitting here Looking outside my Window I wait and wait and wait to find out even what I will get as far as a check or even when. I’ve been told I couldn’t find out until after I signed the papers which others have told me is wrong. And yet I sit here and wait and watch my life pass by. I wonder how long I can hold on to my house and it won’t be long. There’s a very real chance that unless my attorney agrees to pay the 5% administrative fee I won’t even be in this house for Christmas. I try not to cry I try to think of those who are already homeless living in cars and it breaks my heart. It breaks my heart to see the pain and agony that you’ve had to go through. But I know you’re smart and you’re resourceful and maybe you’re a stronger fighter than me because I just can’t fight anymore. I want peace I want security and neither of those will I ever have again and it is all because of mesh. It makes me angry that you had to have the kind of operation you did just so somebody could have enough to go on a fancy vacation or buy a new house or walk around in their $1000 suits. It makes me even more angry when attorneys tried to defend these people. And when your own attorney sends you a sucker punch it’s even harder. My attorney will get almost more than I will how is that fair? How is it fair for them to destroy your body and not give you millions of dollars for it. I just want you to know that there’s a lot of women out there who are tragically suffering and it’s not gonna get much better. Someday I wish my whole story would be told but it never will be. I am A woman who will be forgotten and what is happened to all of us will be forgotten. H*** most of the United States doesn’t even know about us. I give you my word my heart breaks for you and I did not really take offense. It’s just hard when someone says be happy when everything in your world is falling apart It’s so very hard.. I know I’m not the only one. So you have my deepest admiration for how you can look out and see Sunshine when others look out and see rain. These people took the last 7 years of life And believe it or not I think about how you say don’t let them do this. so I guess it’s my anger that keeps me going. Just yesterday I saw someone in the ask me about it and I said no I still don’t have any money for it and they shook their head. They have seen me go from a very active strong woman to being barely able to walk most days. I think about a friend who’s involved in mesh and her almost dying. I wanna cry because I feel so powerless. So I thank you for trying to encourage us and not to let it consume our whole lives. I encourage you to keep doing that. Others may need The words you speak. The only song I can think of that comes to mind that helps me is, In the eye of the storm. I guess this was not my life to live in abundance or peace or happiness maybe the next one will be.
    Please take care and keep fighting and helping others. Just please remember some of us have a lot to be angry about some of us feel really bad Because every last one of my dreams have been killed because of mesh. Some most of all I think the anger and the sadness comes from the powerless that we feel, The injustice of us having our ability to work taken away from us and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it. If I had a way to fight maybe would be better but I don’t. So you’re right I have to find a way to survive a little bit longer and hopefully I can find a few times that will make me smile. Take care still standing I wish you a speedy speedy recovery

12. Still Standing November 7, 2018 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Anonymous, Im in tears over your post. No, you cant sign settlement papers without knowing what you will get. That is crazy. Have you already signed?

Your post reminded me of a series I watched years and years ago on PBS called Healing and the Mind.. One segment was with a group of people who had terminal cancer. One person was so angry with God because they had prayed and prayed for healing and it didnt happen. Then, someone said that there is more than one way to be healed. I have often thought of that profound statement.

Yes,the holidays are bearing down on us. It is always bittersweet for people who are sick and suffering. Where will,you go? Do you have family or friends for face to face support. Please, reach out to,any one who can be present with you. I spent many years shutting everyone out, pretending to be ok.,then I would be upset because no one supported me emotionally. It was a humbling experience to have to admit my pain, my anger, my wishing I was dead. I finally had to lay it all out to my family and friends, all the ugliness of it all. I was so,surprised at how they responded. They wanted to understand all along, but I would not let them. I don’t inow you but I want to be there for you in ways that could help your suffering. What are your immediate needs? Put them out there and wait and welcome anyone who is willing to walk with you. There is power in naming and speaking your needs, kmowing that God already has put your name on many hearts long before now. They are waiting for you to let them in.

Im not quick to tell people I will pray for them because I get caught up in my own stuff that I dont believe my prayers can be strong enough to be heard. But today, you are put on my heart and I will pray that boundless blessings pour out on you during this very difficult time in your life. I will ,pray that you receive healing and hope. .

13. Anonymous November 7, 2018 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Yes I argued with my attorney for 2 weeks and he finally said I just had to sign. I know the total amount Offered that I’m getting but I have no idea what percentage of that could I will get or the dollar amount. I’m just tired and I want them to send me my check so I can try to figure out where the heck I’m gonna end up. Thank you for being so sweet. Because of certain situations I’ve been pretty isolated and I won’t go into that out here. But I don’t have a lot of friends or people I can turn to. Most of my family has passed on and I really only have one son that I can turn to. But he is in no position financially or any other way to help me out and I will nit put that burden on our relationship either. Somehow someway still standing what’s meant to be will be and that’s all I can do is hang on to my faith. You take care and I hope you have a beautiful Christmas with your family. God speed

14. Still Standing November 7, 2018 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Well, the Bible says wont be given more than we can handle. Im still not sure about that interpretation. But God never said we had to like it. Reconsider keeping your son away because you don’t want to “burden” him. He probably is devasted and wants to be present for you. I was surprised how my 40 year old son came around when he finally knew everything. Its hard to be vulnerable with our children but they worry about us as we worry about them. I dont know your situation relationship wise buuI just wanted throw that out there.

15. Anon November 8, 2018 at 4:21 pm - Reply

No two journeys are the same, we are All different (individually unique) if you will. We should dignify each other’s feelings, thoughts, anger with a balance of understanding with the personal right to feel our battle, our experience—our way. Even our creator dignifies use with free will to follow his (perfect) laws, or not, and He doesn’t mandate us to be cookie cutter models of each other. He allows us to maintain our individual selves. Opinions from imperfect humans are just that…opinions—-(one) doesn’t work for all involved. One size doesn’t fit All here.

16. Still Standing November 10, 2018 at 9:15 pm - Reply

Anon, you are absolutely right, every person is unique. However, what we have learned from human behavior going back to Aristotle and other great thinkers and religious leaders across time is that while we all have unique feelings based on our experiences, is that the mind and body are intertwined in such a way that what happens in one impacts what happens in the other regrdless of where you live or what language you speak. Just as people dont have to suffer from leprosy or polio or other physical afflictions because science figured out how to recognize it and cure it, there has been tremendous knowledge gained about human resiliency and emotional well being. Each unique person doesn’t have to figure out things all by themselves because we have an understanding of what has worked and what doesn’t. While it is acknowledge that people must be in touch with what is going on emotionally and express those feelings and work through them, I’m not aware of one piece of evidence, even Biblically, that says that staying in negative emotion territory is physically or l
    emotionally helpful. Not one. We are the only ones who can change that within. It is a choice we
    make every day. Even severely ill or disabled people can choose to do that. Look at Steven
    Hawking. He was diagnosed with ALS when he was in his 20s and was eventually completely unable to move or breathe on his own. He died this year, the longest survivor of ALS in history. Yet, he contributed his enormous intellect to our understanding of how the universe works. He never quit being an optimist even through decades of suffering. He chose how he would face his suffering. We all make that choice. I got so mad at my therapist when she would tell me that, but I know from experience that it was true. I’m just going to give testimony about that whenever I can. It is just an opinion, but one that is backed up with hundreds of years of evidence.

It is like the person who can’t enjoy a sunny day because he is afraid it is going to rain tomorrow. We have to find joy. It does not come looking for us.

• Anon November 11, 2018 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Still—–This journey is Not about anyone of us individually. I stand by my words whole heartedly…No two journeys are the same. Words can be very harmful if not weighed properly, example; personal suggestions can invalidate. Anger is a delicate personal emotion, that needs careful balance, individually. Anger is essential for healing in many of our lives situations yet, dangerous emotionally if left unchecked/unbalanced. My comment specifically is…opinions are personal comments, feelings, etc., if not based on researched documented proven (facts). Our common goal should be to inform, educate, encourage and just plain ol share our experience to strengthen. You should or shouldn’t feel……….. Or…do it this way—– can be very harmful and very discouraging–to some.

17. donotknow November 12, 2018 at 12:56 pm - Reply

I have been offered a s settlement, way lower than ever expected. Not all my surgeries were taken into consideration and I do not know why.
    I have an idea of my medical lien and just doing basic math of the 40% lawyers fee and the common benefit fee not counting what court cost are I am well under $10,000. But if Court cost eat that away there is no reason for me even to take the offer.

So what happens if I say No.

• Advocate November 12, 2018 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Why, exactly, would there be no reason to accept? How about because of all the work that others did on your behalf? Say no, there could be financial repercussions, although most in your position don’t seem to think it matters. I’m sure your attorney didn’t do a thing for you, why else the low ball figure. If you had any medical assistance rendered, those people don’t seem to matter much these days, everyone circles the same drain right? Or do they? Sounds a bit like a petulant child who says if I can’t get what I want, I’ll take my ball and go home. For the record, I have no idea what “surgeries” you had done, but there are procedures that are not recognized as part of the litigation and therefore, are not a contribution to the compensation model. “I think after all this time involved in this litigation, I’d rather take nothing than something”…said nobody ever.

Jane, in light of our earlier disclosure, post at your discretion.

18. Anon November 12, 2018 at 8:10 pm - Reply

Do not know. Tell them no why would any of us take a settlement that benefits everyone but the people who have lived this nightmare. I personally would tell them hell no. Even if I got 10k after everything was deducted and my lawyer said he was quiting I’d tell him fine you get nothing for my suffering. I have been through hell just like most of us women. Settling is not gonna happen if it’s not substantial. My life and health.is worth more than what I could buy a used car for. I will die under a bridge alone before I let them give me nothing to go away.

19. donotknow November 13, 2018 at 7:51 pm - Reply

Anon:
    Thank you for your kind words. You sound like a lovely Southern Lady I know who had 2 mesh removal Surgeries a 1 bladder lift with native tissue and ended up with just $10,000. She said she was sorry she ever filed. She still has prudent nerve damage pain that goes down her legs.Very sad.

20. Anon November 14, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

Arguing among ourselves is harmful to all of us. Just got a message from my doctor; another recall on meds, a popular blood pressure medicine, Losartan/HCTZ, has issued a recall due to a potential impurity in the drug. Inform, don’t argue.

21. Anon November 14, 2018 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Correction… recall on blood pressure medicine Losartan / HCTZ (100/25mg).