UroGyn Society: Mesh on Trial: Defendant and Plaintiff Perspectives

AUGS conference

AUGS conference

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, October 12, 2016 ~ There was much anticipation about the Thursday afternoon Mesh on Trial: Defendant and Plaintiff Perspectives at the 37th annual meeting of AUGS, the American Urogynecologic Society.

This would be the first time the 1,300 urogynecologists, urologists and gynecologists would be presented with a full explanation of the issues involved in pelvic mesh litigation. An attorney representing mesh manufacturers would explain industry’s defense of allegations of a defective product, while a plaintiffs’ attorney would reveal what industry knew before it marketed its pelvic mesh products, and when it knew it.

Derek Potts at AUGS

Derek Potts at AUGS, Current Status

There had been some discussion in previous day sessions about the late night television ads soliciting pelvic mesh clients, and most doctors thought bottom-feeding trial attorneys and their legal referral services had ended up hurting patients.

Doctors believed that because of litigation, there were now fewer options on the table to correct incontinence (SUI) and pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

After pelvic mesh makers had suffered the majority of losses at trial, Prolift (made by J&J), Pinnacle (by Boston Scientific), and a host of other meshes were all taken off the market.  The Food and Drug Administration now required a review of  all POP mesh outcomes and a reclassification of the larger mesh kits for POP as either high risk or class III. The “business decision” to take many meshes off the market made sense to mesh makers.

None of these doctors had presumably ever sat in a trial, and from the previous day’s session, Current Status (See story here), those present did not seem to be aware of even the basics of mesh litigation, certainly not in its scope and in the fact that the 100,000 women who have filed defective product actions in this country still suffer life-altering injuries to varying degrees. Some will never be the same.

Instead, some of the doctors who sat in the  Current Status session indicated women were seeking a “payday.”

Denver Convention Center

Denver Convention Center

So Mesh on Trial would be an eye opener. It was scheduled for the biggest space, Exhibit Hall A, that could seat nearly all of those in attendance.

The moderator was scheduled to be Pam Moalli, MD PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh;  panel members included Miles Murphy, MD MSPH (and expert witness at the Linda Gross trial for defendant, J&J);  Donald Ostergard, MD, who founded AUGS;  Janna Nugent, a defense attorney with Greenberg Traurig (Lori Cohen’s law firm); Derek Potts, plaintiff’s attorney, and urogynecologist Dennis Miller, MD.

Just before the scheduled 4 pm start, a crowd gravitated toward the Hall A.  Then I got a text message from a doctor in attendance:

“They just cancelled the mesh debate.”

“Why?” I asked.

The reason I was given was that it was “a legal issue of exposure for the society.”

An AUGS representative explained some slides for the presentation weren’t ready in time. But attorney Derek Potts said that was not true. They asked for the slides to be in at 10 am. He made sure they were in by 10 am.

Derek Potts, Potts Law firm

Derek Potts, Potts Law firm

Fear got to them. They wanted to review the presentation and they didn’t like what they saw,” Potts said. His comments on suicides and divorces that followed mesh implants were too much, Potts said. See the comment here.

Colorado Convention Center Blue Bear

Colorado Convention Center Blue Bear

“It’s the truth. The sad fact is the leadership is in bed with manufacturers and they are trying to protect them. They saw the debate as a threat,” Potts explained.

coloplast-twoGiven that the exhibit hall was full of banners and booths from Medtronic, Allergan, Boston Scientific, Caldera Medical, Ethicon, Coloplast, Astellas, CooperSurgical, among others, and that more than half of the revenue supporting this conference came from industry, according to the AUGS president, Potts likely wasn’t far off.

So as it turns out, our session the previous evening on Current Status and Future Potential for the Use of Mesh was as close as the participants would come to a debate by this medical society.

Unfortunately the 20 or so in the room for Current Status were the only ones to gain some understanding of the issues.

Within an hour, the buzz was making it around the conference exhibit hall as to why this session was cancelled. Some claimed that Attorney Potts was out of control the night before and had thrown out incendiary statements like women’s husbands had divorced them and women were committing suicide.

“Okay.  And what if that is true,” I asked one doctor. “There have been divorces and suicides,” I offered.

“Then you’re biased!  People like you are biased,” he said in an accusatory tone.

People like you, I repeated to myself. What does that mean?  Even though I had introduced myself to this doctor, he clearly didn’t know who I was or that I write about the patient perspective of mesh injuries.  I had spent my own money to attend AUGS to learn what doctors in the field are experiencing first hand.

Since I was an eyewitness to yesterday’s session, I suggested that Dr. Cassidenti was the only one in the room for Current Status who raised his voice and seemed agitated, like he was ready to cross two rows of chairs to get at Mr. Potts.

No. The doctor insisted it was Potts who was out of control.

The demonizing of Derek Potts was easy to do because there were so few there to experience the session first hand.

And that would be the buzz created as an explanation for the Mesh Debate cancellation, and presumably believed.

Dr. Vincent Lucente, MD

Dr. Vincent Lucente, MD

PRECEPTORS

While Mr. Potts kept a low key response to critics at the last session, and did not engage or raise his voice, my only criticism was his suit was too nice.  With a sharp blue tie, he looked like he was about to launch into an opening before a jury.

The crowd at AUGS was generally more casually clad, like a college professor, unless you were a preceptor.

Preceptors wore nice suits and looked like the leaders of the conference.

In fact, the early adopters, the technology trendsetters, were just that. They were the doctors who had gravitated toward the manufacturers early on, the “early adopters” who bought the promises of a “minimally invasive procedure” that would improve their options for their patients and their practice in the treatment of incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.

And you could teach other doctors, hold clinics and travel to nice places to do so, all for compensation.

What is a preceptor?

In a university setting, a preceptor assists the professor and teaching assistant to design and impart certain lessons.

In the medical device world, a preceptor is one who teaches other doctors about a particular device in a weekend cadaver clinic, through industry-supported training and/or as a consultant with a device manufacturer.

Kevin Benson, Industry supported education at AUGS

Kevin Benson, Industry supported education at AUGS

Peter Rosenblatt, MD for Boston Science

Peter Rosenblatt, MD for Boston Science

AUGS was full of preceptors. In fact, some of the key opinion leaders (KOL), as industry designates them, were there. KOLs and preceptors are considered an integral part of introducing a device to market and very valuable cheerleaders for a company.

On the flip side, preceptors and the conflicts of interest they represent, have become a red flag issue for juries, who tend to side with an injured plaintiff when they learn of the millions of dollars doctors are paid to carry the water for a company.

Some preceptors have had to endure long hours of depositions at the hands of plaintiff’s attorneys. As an example, see the deposition of Dennis Miller here.

Society KOLs had created the A Time to Rethink position statement after the FDA issued its two warnings about the risk versus the benefit of pelvic mesh.

Many preceptors at AUGS are also the same names you’ve heard at pelvic mesh trials.

Dr. Vincent Lucente, MD was the $1.7 million preceptor for Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson), mentioned in the Linda Gross trial and Joan Budke case against J&J. Dr. Lucente trained Mrs. Budke’s implanting physician, who placed a Prolift mesh in Mrs. Budke, who later died of a raging infection. (See the stories here and here).

The case settled for an undisclosed amount on the eve of going to the jury after Mr. Budke, a stoic, 93-year-old widower cried, “I lost my bride.”

Budke family

Budke family

allergan-preceptorsDr. Lucente was front and center at AUGS, delivering Industry Expert opinion for Allergan, the maker of Botox®, which now makes a nasal spray for nocturia, or nighttime urination; for American Medical Systems; Coloplast and Medtronic.

Dr. Lucente and Dr. Andrew Cassidenti, a preceptor for AMS, see the story here, presented for Boston Scientific to promote the transition from the Elevate (AMS) to Uphold by Boston Scientific, when AMS folded its mesh-making division in March.

kevin-benson-on-floorKevin Benson, MD was there too.

The South Dakotan was the implanting surgeon for Linda Gross, who was awarded $11.1 million before a New Jersey jury and who has undergone in excess of 20 surgeries to remove and correct what was left behind by her Prolift implant. (See a story here).

In its Conflict of Interest Policy,  AUGS requires disclosures about corporate sponsorship deemed relevant by the Program Committee, and doctors list their consulting arrangements, often without specifying their fees.

These would be some of the names juries have heard at trial, but the 1,300 physicians who attended this AUGS 37th annual conference would never hear them in that context at the Denver Convention Center.  ###

Up Next~ The AUGS Presidential Address

1. Jimmy says:

I sure hope these intelligent dr’s dont truly believe these women dont see what is going on. Why do they truly believe that fighting this is going to work!!!! I don’t know what the human life is worth , but i know these companies have enough to make and attempt to make it right what they’ve done. My mothers life will never be the same again. Please big pharma just give them back something! They’ve fought long and hard enough. Let them try to move on! Even though they have your terrible greed as a constant reminder let them no longer have to fight you too along with the life altering changes that you placed in their body. Please from a heart broken son!

• Bejah Blue says:

Jimmy, I am so sorry for your loss, truly but you must know that these individuals, and these organizations do not care. You pleading still falls on deaf ears. These creatures are in many ways that matter most not human any longer, if they ever were…they are predatory, narcissistic, greed obsessed, self absorbed and focused only on the next deal, the next con, and how much they can get away with before the road closes. Your sweet energy is wasted on these monsters. It would be better spent praying or helping victims who are still alive. Blessings, Bejah PS It’s funny my attorney said, “Don’t worry, it may leave you in a lot of pain but it will not kill you” but the truth is that it will kill me.

2. Tamela M says:

I have been fighting for closer 6 years now. This has cost me my marriage of + 27 years. Divorced. It was bad enough without adding salt to the womb. Now I’m 56 years old and have to start over again. I didn’t anticipate this would ever happen. Boy I was fooled. We shouldn’t have to fight for this long. This has been one hard pill to swallow. Just make it right so this door to can be closed.

• Bejah Blue says:

Tamela, I know this hurts but as a woman can you tell us why your husband left you in plain language? Was it because of the impact on your ability to engage in sex as he preferred it or something else? Why are they deserting us? Thanks. Bejah

3. What a fustercluck…we victims were sold the “gold standard” by surgeons who were taught transvaginal mesh surgery from over the weekend trips paid for by Big small minded…do no harm greedy a–holes…karma is at their doorsteps.

4. Brenda says:

Thanks Jane for always being our eyes, ears, and voice…you go where many of us cannot go. You are awesome!

5. Lordhelpus says:

Poisonous and toxic, just like the makers, the promoters and those who defend it. Folks whose humane side flew out the window as soon as the $$’s started clocking in. Wanna talk about a payday? Let’s look at all your bank accounts and see how fat your pockets have gotten since this booming mesh business began…Now THAT’S what WE can call a real “payday!!” Of all the nerve…

6. Diva 64 says:

if my understanding is correct, the doctors attending the conference still didn’t learn a thing about the complications that all the women have endured due to the MESH, these were Gyn, and Urogyn. They need to understand as well as doctors serving in the ER and the raqdiologist reading reports.
    I truly feel my personal health issues may not have progressed to the point of no return if the radiologist reading an MRI< or CT in 2008 had been educated about the mesh, the report reads " They saw something" of a metallic nature, not sure if a tumor, fracture,. No one investigated I only became aware that the negligence from lack of education started that far back. In criminal courts I have heard comments of lack of knowledge of a law is not a defense. So why should lack of education or follow up when something shows up they are not sure of, not be investigated by the doctors, why is patients not advised so they can follow up, or get second opinions. I have suffered pain and complications for ten years. I have Lupus, my intestines, are shot, anemic, , etc, the list goes on and on. My left foot is well , maybe I can say that as a positive. I have seen numerous doctors, and been blown off, ER visits and scanned to no medical outcome,then find they excluded the pelvic area, or the scan was performed to look for kidney stones, as doctors were in the dark about complications from MESH, and those that were aware were in denial.
    It has turned me sour to the medical field, a place a person is to feel their life is being taken care, not ignored, because they don't know the answers or what to look for. So post conference it ends with the patient still needing to educate the medical field. That is a very sad time for medical care in 2016.

Thank you Diva….your point about lack of knowledge not being a defense is a good one. I believe there should be a strong patient presence at the next AUGS in Providence RI around this time next year. ….I suggest strong patient advocates head the effort, who are willing to talk cooperatively with the establishment. I’m willing to help, but I’m really more of a publisher than patient advocate and I think I should retain that role. Perhaps some docs within AUGS who are knowledgeable could back a proposal. Then there is the money aspect and how to get there…..a challenge for sure. Just my thoughts.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Diva, I learned just a few years ago that doctors often do not even read radiology reports but may ask a staffer to look it over (Medical Assistant, etc.) even when Radiologist has red flagged it. That is why we must request copy and read, read, read and follow through. We can die because of these kinds of errors. And don’t tell me how physicians are overworked. If there is a problem fix it. If you make an appt. with a patient be mentally present fully or do not make the appointment in the first place. People do not see doctors who fall short.

7. Tommy says:

Why cant we find some one to fight for us this is the devil can some body please help us get justice here these greedy freaks needs to be locked up.!!!!!!

8. HurtForLife says:

Thank you Jane for keeping us updated. I’ve been fighting this for 7 years now and can hardly get any info from my lawfirm. I’m now disabled and live in pain daily. Of course this has effected my relationship with my husband and we go further about by the month. Medications and copays have added up from the horrible mesh complications. Luckily I do have a urogyn that I somewhat trust but I can’t help to think his dictation doesn’t explain the severity. The million dollar question is how much longer can they drag this out? I can hardly stay afloat financially anymore much less afford the pelvic floor therapy I need. Lastly I’ve struggled with severe depression and anxiety through this and actually have been hospitalized. If I would have freaking known that one outpatient surgery would be this life altering, of course I’d say “heck no” . If only I could go back to a little leaking now and then, that would be heaven compared to the hell I go through daily now. If the docs that attended the AUGS and say us women are just looking for a payday I’d love to see a large piece of mesh shoved were the sun doesn’t shine and see how they feel in due time. Thanks for letting me vent! Again, thanks to all that keep this site up and going! God bless!

I’m sorry…. your words are powerful…. I wish you could be there to look them in the eyes and tell your story. Maybe we can get that to happen…..

• Charlotte says:

I know they are not implying @AUGS that it’s all about the money. Newsflash, l’m in bankruptcy over this. I have had 3 surgery and schedule to see a specialist in February in California . A day doesn’t go by that I am not in pain. I want to be whole again. Here are resources that may help woman that have exhausted all their Resources and need help.

Resources : Airline Flights
      These organizations provide airline flights for patients that need to travel for medical reasons. Also note: One parent reports that if you contact the airlines for medical issues they will let you have the cheapest rate for the airfare, meaning even though you are leaving tomorrow, they will give you the same discount as though you did a 30 day advance ticket.
      Air Care Alliance
      “The Air Care Alliance is a nationwide league of humanitarian flying organizations whose volunteer pilots are dedicated to community service. This site will introduce you to us and to all the groups we list whose volunteers perform public benefit flying for health care, patient transport, disaster relief, environmental support, and other missions of public service.” 800-296-1217
      Air LifeLine
      AirLifeLine is a national non-profit charitable organization of over 1,000 private pilots who fly ambulatory patients who cannot afford the cost of travel to medical facilities for diagnosis and treatment. Our pilots donate their time, aircraft and fuel to make this air transportation service totally free of charge for patients who qualify. Phone 800-446-1231 or 906-376-8200.
      Angel Flight
      Angel Flight is a non-profit organization of pilots and other volunteers dedicated to serving the community by arranging free private air transportation for medical patients who cannot afford to utilize normal, commercial transportation. Angel Flight also provides services to blood, organ and tissue banks. Angel Flight is a member of Air Care Alliance, a group of 37 organizations providing similar services throughout the United States. These groups are coordinated through a toll-free service (NPATH) that helps individuals in need find assistance in their area. 918-749-8992
      Cancer Air Flights
      Lists a number of organizations that assist cancer survivors and their caregivers with transportation to and from treatments.
      Children’s Flight of Hope
      Children’s Flight of Hope provides free, private air transportation to and from medical facilities for children in need. “With our organization-owned aircraft and crew of experienced volunteer pilots, we transport children and their families to and from hospitals throughout the eastern United States. We seek to ensure that children in our service area (North Carolina) are not denied access to medical treatment at distant facilities due to either financial need or a medical condition that precludes travel via ground or commercial aircraft.” You can find more information about their program at:
      Corporate Angel Network
      Free flights for cancer patients and their families. Private jets used by corporations that have empty seats, free flights. No financial requirements. One of many advantages is low risk of exposure to contagious illness because just a few people are on plane. 1-914 328 1313.
      Delta AirSky Wish at United Way
      Free flights, no financial requirements. Call 1-800-892-2757 ext. 285, Christina Walker.
      Dreamline
      This is a group which provides free airline travel for kids with serious illnesses. The flights can be for treatment or just for fun.
      Lifeline Pilots
      LifeLine Pilots is a private, non-profit organization that provides
      people in medical and financial distress with access to free air transportation on small (4-6 seat), private aircraft for health care and other compelling human needs. 309-697-6865
      Mercy Medical Airlift
      (MMA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving people in situations of compelling human need through the provision of charitable air transportation. MMA is totally supported through charitable giving and the services of volunteer pilots and office assistants.
      Miracle Flights for Kids
      Transporting children to medical treatment since 1985. (702) 261-0494
      National Patient Air Travel HELPLINE
      Provides information about all forms of charitable, long-distance medical air transportation and provides referrals to all appropriate sources of help available through the Angel Flight America Network. Call 1-800-296-1217. Once NPATH, now also known as http://www.patienttravel.org.
      Northwest Airlines, Kid Cares program
      The Northwest Airlines KidCares medical travel program provides air travel to children age 18 and younger who are unable to receive treatment in their home area. Those with financial need have priority. 1-612-726-4206.
      TWA Operation Liftoff
      “Providing special trips to children who are facing life threatening illness.” Free flights, no financial requirements. Call 314-298-1699.http://www.operationliftoff.com/

(the following don’t seem to have web sites)
      American Airlines, Advantage Miles for Kids in Need
      Helps those in financial need. 1-817-963- 8118.
      Continental Careforce
      Has a contract with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for reduced or free airline tickets. Bob Jack at 1-281-261-6626.
      Midwest Express Miracle Miles
      One free flight, thereafter flights are discounted. No financial requirements. Call Natalie Fuerst at 1-414-570-3644.
      Reach Family Institute 1-541-488-3700
      Wings of Freedom 407-857-0727 Last minute connections, commercial airlines.

• Bejah Blue says:

They assert we are looking for money? That is to say the least a profound projection on their part but those that have an interest in the position of all defendants will support this position because it falls in line with the general defensive posture and is part of the attempt to hold the line even as the bricks fall from the mortar of the edifice that is JnJ. We must save our wailing for the night and in the day keep pushing for truth and justice. Shame attends those who deny the innocent. Bejah

9. Mary Pat says:

Did anyone happen to mention or acknowldge the Attorney Generals who have filed consumer protection cases against J&J over mesh????? Attorney Generals are NOT “ambulance chasing bottom feeders”. Were the doctors made aware of the consumer protection lawsuits?????

10. Mary Pat says:

AUGS has revealed their shameful alliance with big pharma and their despicable cover up to the entire world! It is ALL out in the open now! Their refusal to allow truth to be told did more to champion our cause than allowing the seminar to take place! Had the seminar proceeded the attendees would have heard the truth about mesh. Instead the attendees and the entire world gets to see the truth about the corruption, deceit and greed in big pharma AND AUGS!

11. Mary Pat says:

Jane, I failed to thank you and give you credit for bringing this truth to the world! God bless you Jane! You are awesome! I can’t even imagine how difficult it must have been to walk amongst the evil at that convention. You probably felt “dirty” just being there! You are so aware of the human suffering that mesh has caused yet you had to face the cold hearted attacks against the wounded. You went where angels fear to tread and you did it for truth. God will bless you for that. We, the mesh injured, are eternally grateful. The doctors who have goodness in their hearts will ser the truth you have revealed.

12. Mary Pat says:

I predict that the doctors who have goodness in their hearts will feel that the must take a stand against the evil that AUGS is perpetrating. This reveal will cause a great divide in the medical community. It cannot be ignored.

• Sherri says:

I keep getting told from my lawyer next year well get an offer . next year. Next year. Next year. Why is this seriously taking so long?!!!

• Bejah Blue says:

Sherri, Think not of how long it is taking, but remember it could take longer, and you could be one of those who will never get such a call. Be thankful, be patient and pray for the others. It is hard to wait for such a thing, but harder to have nothing to wait for. Bejah

13. Sinking says:

I’ve had countless visits to the doctor…4 surgeries..2 surgeons…the 3rd said that mesh was a good product and only a small percentage of us were injured by it…said dr was a woman. A portion of the sling remains..I cannot incur anymore debt medical or otherwise so i continue to pee unexpectedly when not careful of my movements..sex hurts and I know i will never be the same..thanks for the updates Jane…

14. Kitty says:

Jane..do you have the list of the members? Thank you!
    !

15. Emily says:

My urogynecolgist is a woman and I have never been more disappointed to hear a doctor of mine express ignorance when I asked her about the problem with mesh that has come to light causing vaginal erosion. I’ve since learned it’s more about ‘following the money’ for physicians than ‘Do no harm’. So wrong…so very wrong$

16. Chelle says:

I have great news! I had my mesh removed yesterday. While I have been minor (comparatively) complications since the implant in 2008, my really severe pain and trouble began a year ago. I took it upon myself to go to several Doctors in Illinois, even so-called “experts in the field.” But listening to my gut and intuition, I went with Dr. Kobak at UIC in Chicago. The minute I met with him I felt peace. He listened to me like no one else has. He offered me confidant hope. I am 12 hours post-op, and I have not needed one pain pill! I am home, with a catheter, and minor pain, but the pain from the mesh that had begun to disintegrate, is GONE! In a matter of 24 hours I already feel like a different person! There is hope ladies!

17. Don't give up says:

Chelle WOW!!!!!
    If only if it where so simple and the pain just went away like in a fairytale story.
    I’m sorry it’s just that I see my wife in so much pain daily and she’s had three surgeries,I remember when she first had the first revision she was bed ridden for weeks.
    I wish you the best.
    The problems in most cases unfortunately don’t end after removal they get worse.

• Chelle says:

This is no fairy tale. But a huge difference in the pain I had and don’t have now. I have seen many doctors, and some got pissed because I knew what I was talking about. One so-called “expert” couldn’t answer his own phone while his receptionist was running an errand and no one but he and I were in his office.

The doctor I found, I searched for. He listened to me the way I needed him to, and he responded the way I needed him to. Too many women let these doctors make the choices. Too many women do not ask the hard questions for fear of the almighty doctor. And I hate to say it, but I was NOT going to be one of those women having MULTIPLE surgeries when all of the research I have done told me that was not necessary.

I am truly sorry for the pain and anguish you and your wife suffer. But I am here to tell women that you have control of your health. You just need to take it! Doctor my ass. They do not know more than I do about my body. And everything else I needed to know, I learned just they did….I READ IT.

• Kitty says:

Chelle..did u have tvt or Sui sling?

• Disgusted says:

Hi Chelle,

It sounds like to me that he did a partial removal. I was so much better after my partial removal. For 3 weeks until I started moving. Then the pain came back with a vengeance. When I had the full removal with Dr. Raz – that was a horrendous surgery. But the results were much more long lasting. This was the most painful surgery I had. I have had 16 surgeries in the last 7 years. I’m glad you found someone who actually listened. That in itself is hard. But full removal is not a piece of cake. They are going through 4 sets of muscles on each side. Unless you had a mini tape. They are major muscle groups of the pelvis. I wish you the best.

• Chelle says:

I had the Gynecare TVT-O sling. My tape started folding over months ago. My Doctor did indeed get the entire tape. I realize their are many forms of mesh, but 16 surgeries in 7 years? How does that even happen? How do you not go on the news or beckon nationwide attention by standing of the ledge of a building? And no I am not suggesting you stand on the ledge of a building, but it crossed my mind a few times.

Female doctors have been the worst. They can’t even pretend to sympathize. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe in a few weeks, or months, I’ll find out I wasn’t. But right now I have hope, and that’s more than I’ve had for a while. Hopelessness will kill me before any mesh.

This is not over. My anger fuels me. Not just for myself, but for all of you as well. I’m not giving up on us.

18. Lyndsey says:

Anybody that had the miss fortune of being implanted with medical mesh and has tried to find help after the fact, is well aware that the attitude in the medical community is dismissive at best. I have seen no less than 12 different urolgist/urogynocologists. for most of them I received a different opinion. And most of those opinions protect their livelihood. Let’s face it !The surgeon that implanted me was doing seven surgeries a week. I don’t know what that translates to financially but my guess is this surgery was a cash cow for surgeons. So…The doctor’s creed is to first do no harm evidently it’s not something that cannot be replaced by greed.

19. Lordhelpus says:

My heart and prayers go out to the Budke family. I can tell from the photo that they are a close and loving family, and how Mrs. Budke appears (just like so many of us moms) to be the catalyst that kept it all together. I’m so sorry for your loss, and as sure as there is a God in the sky, we shall all be vindicated.

I went to that trial and you are right, they appeared to be a loving family…Joan was also loved by her community where she volunteered.

• Bejah Blue says:

This may be a good time to take a moment and pray for that lovely family and their matriarch who was brutally cut down by the mesh manufacturers to a man. We will never forget.

Bejah

20. Anon says:

Did Dr. Greg Vigna attend the 37th annual AUGS event?

21. Anon says:

Thanks Charlotte for the charitable flight information: I will take advantage of it.

22. Maria C says:

I can only say that after my TVT implant my life drastically changed for the worst. I sympathize with every woman out there who has gone and is going through this horrible ordeal. These TVT/MESH manufacturers just need to realize how many women’s lives have been impacted in such a negative way. Daily severe pains and lost of many relationships, not to mention frequent UTI’S is just a horrible way of life. I personally can’t put a price to compensate every woman who has been affected by these TVT’S/MESH.

23. Bejah Blue says:

I say over and over….they do not care how we feel or what has happened to us. They knew. They wanted the money. This happens repeatedly in corporate America in all manner of businesses…consider automobile issues where manufacturers went into production even after learning of potentially deadly errors in mfg. calculating the cost of pay offs of lawsuits with the profits they could make and paying no mind to the potential for death and dismemberment of human beings. THEY DO NOT CARE.

Bejah

24. Silent says:

Jane, can I have your email would like to share with you my horrible experience with one of the doctors in this report

25. Cassandra says:

I had the tape removed 6 years ago. It grew into my urethra and formed a ball in my bladder. They thought it was a bladder stone. I had multiple UTI’s and started to be sepsis before a friend took me to the ER. I too am waiting for a settlement. That is the only way we can punish them. I am told even when this happens J@J will still not admit fault. Try not buying their products, they are connected with most other make up and health care companies. So sometimes forced to give them my money which makes me sick – and more annoyed. And I live with the fear. Where is the tape. Where is the tape? Every time I get a UTI or ache. Because the urologist only removed the tape from the urethra and the bladder. He did not know at that time about later repercussions bring possible . So WHERE ARE THE ENDS of the tape still haunt me.

Cassandra, can you make it to a mesh removal specialist? You can write me for some names if you let everyone know where you live… others may have suggestions too. Thank you.