Update on Upcoming Pelvic Mesh Trials

judge mallet 200Mesh News Desk, August 24, 2016 ~ Sort of like the weather, the schedule of pelvic mesh trials is consistently changing.

Here is the latest.

TVT-O from beckenbodenzentrummuenster.de

TVT-O from beckenbodenzentrummuenster.de

By now most Mesh News Desk readers know that the Edwards v. Ethicon trials will not begin in Charleston, WV on September 12.  Ms. Edwards had a TVT-O implanted and her product liability trial would determine if the mesh was defectively designed and whether Ethicon, a division of Johnson & Johnson, adequately warned her implanting physician.

The case was cancelled after both parties dismissed it in July.  Dismissed without prejudice means it can be refiled at any time.  See the Edwards dismissed without prejudice notice, July 2016

bs logoDallas

ken molberg

Judge Ken Molberg

Figueroa v. Boston Scientific (DC-13-03145) is still, at this writing, on the docket before Judge Ken Molberg in Dallas in the 95th Judicial District Court after being rescheduled for trial at least four times.

Figueroa v Boston Scientific was to begin September 12, 2016 and it would have been the first pelvic mesh trial since last January.

A source close to this litigation tells MND that after a recent status conference the trial will be moved to December 5, 2016 with another status conference set for October.  Both sides are expected to work on details of a Boston Scientific global settlement.  Stay tuned.

Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas

Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas

Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas- 165 Pelvic Mesh Cases to be Heard

As it now stands, the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas has 165 pelvic mesh defective product trials on the docket.  Most are waiting to be scheduled for trial but here are the cases that have been scheduled:

Beltz v Ethicon, December 5, 2016, jury selection set for December 1, 2016, Here

Dempsey v Ethicon Feb. 6, 2017, Here

Adkins v Johnson & Johnson, trial date certain May 22, 2017,  Here

Hubbard v. Ethicon Jury trial set June 5, 2017,  Here

Blockus v Ethicon, June 19, 2017,  Here

Bergen Co NJ

Bergen Co Justice Center, NJ

New Jersey

The trials set for Superior Court of New Jersey are covered in this July story on Mesh News Desk.

The Smith v Ethicon trial is still set for January 9, 2017 in the Bergen County Justice Center in Hackensack, NJ.

The next case management is scheduled for today, August 24, 2016 for both Gynecare and Bard in this state multicounty litigation.

“Bard continues to make settlement progress in the MDL” says the court.

In July Judge Rachelle L. Harz was assigned to the Bergen County cases from Judge Brian Martinotti.

Access to the New Jersey Courts both Bard and Gynecare page is here.  ###

1. Linda K says:

Yes I thought my Mesh Case was going to be settled with the Edwards vs Ethicon & JJ on August 15, 2016 what happened with that
    Linda K

2. nanette o says:

i have been waiting for 5 years to hear from my attorney so i called today and i got an aide on the phone who said there is no news and j&j isn’t budging so i said well i read where 2 to 3 thousand cases are being settled with 100and some million she said oh no thats not true now what to do

If she isn’t reading Mesh News Desk (shame on her) perhaps she will believe Bloomberg News.

• Well, that is certainly not a generous settlement. If 3000 cases, the average settlement is $40,000 and if 2000 cases, the average is $60,000. When attorneys take their cut and case costs are deducted, there will not be much left for the plaintiffs who fall at or below that average. Of course there is a high end, but with the average $40,000 to $60,000, there cant be an abundance of plaintiffs with significant $$s. This does not seem to be a good development for J&J litigants. Do you think their plaintiffs will settle at these amounts?

Not a generous settlement? ……. you are being kind. While we don’t report on rumor here, many say they will not take the settlement. Others are on hard times and even this little bit will keep them from being homeless. That’s what J&J is counting on in my opinion.

• anony says:

Jane,

did you mean to say those 3000 people are taking the settlement as they are on hard times? Or the majority is not taking the offer. It seems very low offer when the powder settlements are much higher.

Its difficult to know if Ethicon will get its 90 percent or more in agreement.

• Robin says:

I say we tell J & J to pay up like other cases have received. Millions. Some pissy amount of $40,000 wont get us thru a yr let alone a lifetime of care and treatment. J & J has destroyed evidence, appealed and appealed, delay and delay. I think we need to take a firm stand together. Get government assistance to help you but dont settle for a little bit of nothing. I know I am not settling, I want my day in court or they pay up for what we deserve. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. That’s where we’re at. How many times has J&J shit on our fellow mesh sisters, appeal after a woman won her case, she dies and they appeal so that her family now has to fight for her. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong! Say NO! Everyone they pay billions for a commercial, they just want us to go away. Stand your ground, few thousand dollars and let me remind you that health insurance co, bankruptcy and other gov agencies along with your lawyers will get all your money. Trust me my cousin ended up with 0 from the AMS settlement. I want my day in court!

• Advocate says:

Jane,

Those settlements were product in place with no complications and perhaps one procedure with no continuing complications.

Initial thoughts are, the Ethicon case values might be along those of AMS for surgical procedures. Ethicon probably won’t be as lenient in documentation of medical care when deciding what level settlement offer a patient would qualify. Ethicon could be more strict when they’re dual manufacturers involved too.

So the cases affected by this settlement really have nothing to do with those with more serious injury and treatment.

• The bloomberg report says that all of these women were represented by one attorney. I would think that he negotiated a deal for all of his clients, not just the less injured. That appears to be how my law firm did the settlements. I could be wrong so I will do,some digging around and report back.

• J Maxwell says:

So, for those of us having subsequent surgeries and still having problems are under different guidelines for settlement? id. settlement dates and amounts.

• nanna says:

Heard anything yet on GyneCare TVT. My attorneys won’t even answer the phone after waiting in line for 10 minutes and am, “next in line” just get cut off. Filed in March 2013 and not sure where we are. Can’t even find my case number anymore. Bet the attorneys will make $$ even if we never get a dime! Am I supposed to not list my attorney here so someone can tell me how to get in touch with them. Seems they keep changing who is handling my case.

• J Maxwell says:

Your attorney sounds like mine….when I can even get a return call. Best I can tell the only ones getting compensation on this situation is the attorneys. Also, I discussed getting some return for all the deductibles, time off work and extra help at office via a pre-settlement company in the amount of $30,000. You can bet the attorneys answered them quickly enough with, ” we don’t allow advance settlements”

• Your attorney did you a great service in not allowing you to get acpre-settlement loan. Jane has done some in depth articles about these loan companies. Their interest rates are enormous and seem to expand exponentially over time and they can very well drain the settlement of all ,onetary valueOne person said she got a presettlement loan of about $1000 and that it had turned into thousands of dollars in debt and she was not even close to settlement.

They don’t all work that way with mounting interest rates…..please do your research! Ask questions!

• What questions should they ask if pursuing a pre-settlement loan. I know you addressed it before, but maybe now it is a good idea to resurrect that story.

It’s funny, when I talk about loans from a consumer POV, I’m accused of promoting them. Not so. Obviously if you can avoid a loan do so. If you can use your own insurance do so. If someone tells you NOT to use your own insurance- RED FLAG. If the lender says take less rather than more, thats a good sign in myh opinion. I did a story with Mark Bello- use the search bar

• J Maxwell says:

One of the companies I discussed pre settlement with said they would be purchasing my case for about $30,000 cash up front. No interest or payback situation regardless of the amount I finally received from the courts. This was after they looked at my case.

• D says:

I got paperwork saying they’ve settled. I have j& j ethicon . I haven’t gotten final papers yet that tells amount . And of course I can’t post after that. I’m not expecting to be happy

3. Linda says:

Delay, Delay, Delay
    There is no follow through with the Judges trying to set limits. No more delays or extensions/ re-scheduling. Why do they make comments (Judges) that they don’t follow through on. I think we should be compensated for each delay. This is insane already. We will be lucky to get 5 trials in the year 2016. I am disgusted by the whole system.

Remember February last year, Judge Goodwin told both sides to move toward settlements or it would be a “rocky path” he promised. Here is the story…

If he is relying on the good will of the defendants companies, that goodwill is slow in coming.

• Robin says:

It’s a snail’s pace. They want us to all kick the bucket so they dont have to pay shit. I’m waiting them out and I will go on welfare until then. I worked hard for 43 yrs and all my savings is gone. Where is our justice?? Everyone no matter how hard up you are for $$ say NO and we stick together. J & J are criminals!!! They need to go to jail. The judges need to get the ball rolling and quit screwing around with our lives!

• Robin, I appreciate you wanting to rally the troops, it is good to be emotionally supported. However, each lawsuit is individually filed and should be negotiated for settlement for what is the best offer the attorney can get for EACH WOMAN he/she represents. You have signed a contract for representation with your attorney. In that contact, there is a clause that gives them great latitude in settling your case. If they bring you an offer, you need to ask several questions. 1.It may be that they dont feel your case could stand up well in court on its own. There are many reasons for that and believe me,the defendant will have a record of your ENTIRE life and use it against you when they can. 2. They may not be able to find an expert witness who can strongly testify to cause in your case. 3. you may have other medical conditions that they can “blame” for your problems. Just so very many variables come to play in a court case. The attorney may not feel that you could not get enough from a jury to cover the very expensive costs of going to trial. They have to look at all of these things as they look at the strength of your case. They have to also factor in their costs to take a case to trial. A settlement provides them with income, a trial may not end in a judgement for the plaintiff. They do have to bring in money. After all, they are fronting all of your case costs with no guarantee that each case will generate income for them. They have to keep the lights on, feed their family, spend money on filings and MDL confernces, getting depositions, etc. So, while I think that the emotional camraderie among women with mesh is so important, when it comes down to a decision about settling or going to trial, it must be a well thought out personal decision based on the unique circumstances of that person and the recommendations of her attorney. Please, women, always ask your attorney what will happen if you refuse the settlement offer. Some will drop you as a client and it is almost impossible to hire another attorney at this stage of the game. Even if you do, your current attorney will still have a lien on any future settlement or they can require that your pay your case bill before you get your records. It should be in your contract how they handle that. So, I will close feeling thankful to be part of this wonderful group of women that Jane has nurtured and with hope that each woman is able to resolve her case in a way that is significant emotionally and financially. Please, just get very well informed as you go through this process

To fire your attny, you need to send a certified letter saying you no longer require their services. They will scream and yell and even threaten. Unfortunately you must do that or no other attny will talk to you. If you have a good case, that could be more than product in place, multiple surgeries, disabled, lost your job, quantifiable injuries you Should be able to find other representation, is my understanding…..I’m not a lawyer. Check our your case file….how many documents has your law firm worked on? Filling out a short form complaint to get you in the NFL does not represent hours of work in my opinion….lastly, the terms of your contract prevail…read very carefully!!

• Kitty says:

Talk about it.. talk about it…talk about it…but not true. The truth will be revealed soon.

• Kitty, please, if you are aware of something that I have written that is untrue, speak up. Im curious to know what you know. What I post here is based on my lengthy experience with two mesh lawsuits and the volumes of research I have done on legal proceededings. Im not an attorney, so I dont claim to have a high knowledge of the law. However, one of my best friends is a retired judge, so she has been able tomfill in some gaps for me. I just try to pass along what I learn. Sharing our collective knowledge is important, so, tell us what you know.

• Kitty says:

J Maxwell…if they took a specimen.u would have signed a release document.

Kitty,
          Thank you for response. I may be in trouble here since I don’t remember signing a release. I’m not sure they left a specimen but I will check again with the hospital since neither of the doctors who removed the mesh want to help me pursue this. All I have are the doctor records showing the removal which reflects how imbedded into other areas the mesh had traveled. original conversation few weeks after surgery was that the mesh was not pliable and they couldn’t remove every bit since it was deeply imbedded. This means that I still have some of that stuff in my body. If I have to have another surgery this is beyond ridiculous! Guess I’d better find out if there is a specimen. thanks

• You would not have to sign a release document for the specific explant. It has been ordered by the court that all explanted mesh be preserved and the steps in this process are detailed in the order. By virtue of the fact that you have filed a lawsuit, this pertains to you . Did you ever sign multiple release of health information forms from your attorney? I signed many of them and cant understand that it is not the norm? They are usually time limited, but that would be spelled out on the release of information documents. Your attorney should be on top of that if you let them know when and where your surgery will be done. That is your responsibility, then your attorney should follow through notifying the hospital and explanting physician how to preserve and where to send.

• Kitty says:

The document is signed in the holding g room a d it gives u the name of the company. Your lawyer will be able to get the document.

• J Maxwell says:

Kitty, Thank you so much for that input.

4. And says:

My attorney’s office said they were in negotiations with J&J and should be coming up with an agreement within the next 2 months.

No last names please…. law firms are serious when they say do not share information or print your name…

• Robin says:

I have the top law firm in the country and no J & J has not mentioned any settlement. It’s all bs.

• J Maxwell says:

Looking at my hospital record copy it states GyneCare TVT but on court docket still not settled it is listed as Ethicon. Is any of that a J & J product or is there some mix up on what I originally had. This is confusing.

Ethicon is the medical device division of J&J. The majority of the J&J cases are not settled.

• J Maxwell says:

Thanks Jane and all who have helped me onto the correct path. Paralegal just called me back and while I at least know my case number they still have no idea when any of the J&J cases will be settled. She said she doesn’t think they can hold out much longer against this judge.

5. J Maxwell says:

The attorneys I had originally sold my case to another firm and luckily,just now found this site. This new firm won’t return my calls and when I finally got someone with my file, 6 months later that attorney is no longer there and now no one answers calls. I had two subsequent surgeries to remove this junk from my body. I studied my last discharge info and the name of the product is GyneCare TVT. Does anyone even know the status of that maker or if they are on the docket yet? As far as I know the case could be dismissed and I am wasting my time.

Gynecate TVT is Johnson and Johnson and he’s there are many cases with TCT…thousands. Do you have an Attny. Who has filed your case?? A doctor who knows what is going on?

• J Maxwell says:

Actually received a call back from the court handling my case which I found some after research. She was helpful and gave me my case number as listed on the court docket of Southern District of West Virginia and said something I didn’t understand about an Ethicon settlement. ASk if she knew when my block of individuals was supposed to come up or any ideas when might hear anything and she had no idea. She did however, give me my new attorneys name and seems they are not in the city I originally was told but have move the case to another office in another state. Gee, this gets more fun all the time. After two subsequent surgeries and still have pain and no where near correct physically still several issues I am ready to get this thing settled.

• J Maxwell says:

Thank you and did find out my new attorneys from clerk at court who also gave me my case number. Not sure that means anything since she had no idea about settlement timing. For some reason I thought J & J had already settled all theirs and made a lump sump offer to the courts that was to be distributed to all involved with their product? Guess I was wrong. Still trying to run a business and don’t have a lot of time to research this stuff.

• J Maxwell says:

jane, thank you for positive support. Should have read more posts before asking. Now that I do actually know new attorneys name (since my case was sold to another firm), maybe these folks will call me back. Seems with subsequent surgeries and loss of work and commissions I should be able to find out something.

• J, do you know if your case was filed? You should have received information about your case number and other details. Do you know where it was filed? Most seem to get dumped in the West Virginia MDL. If you know that it was filed and you have you case number, you can go to the J&jMDL and look it up. I know some attorneys dont file a case until later in the settlement process, so you need to find that out first. Did you complete a plaintiff fact sheet? Have you signed releases for your medical information? That has to be done once you file. As far as your removal surgeries, you should have advised your attorney of the upcoming surgery and then they should initiate the conversation with the doctor and hospital about how and where to preserve the explanted mesh and tissue. This should be done for every surgery or procedure, such as a biopsy. that is what happened with all my surgeries, but some women have commented that they had to do this themselves. I think that puts an unnecessary strain on the patient-physician relationship if you have to be that agent. In my MDL, there was an agreement made between the defense and plaintiff teams for tissue preservation. After all, it is evidence. If that wasnt done, I dont know what you should do. Did you receive a copy of the pathology report? That is part of your medical records and you have every right to receive a copy of it. Along the way, you should be getting a copy of any visit summaries that you have with your treating physician. You request that through your physician or if they have a patient portal, you can get signed up to view your charts thriugh that.

Not being able to communicate with anyone who know your case is appalling. If that is the case, dont hesitate to report this behavior to your state’s bar association. Communicate with your lame attorney that this will happen in x number of days if you do not receive a comprehensive update ,then do it.

I hope you can gather the information you need to fully understand your case. That is your right ethically and legally.

ASk your attorney for your case number. Ask him/her where it is filed. Look it up. Make sure it reflects what you have told them. If it is the short form ( which can be filled out in 90 seconds) in my opinion, you might want a law firm that actually writes something on your behalf. Keep all of your original records and send them copies!!! (Im not a lawyer but this only makes sense) Make sure your firm is fully updated on every medical procedure and diagnosis you’ve undergone.

• J Maxwell says:

Jane, thanks so much and I finally got a new para-legals name. She is supposed to call me back. Not sure if they have all the other hospital records or not but that’s the first thing I will check.

• J Maxwell says:

Still Standing, thanks so much for help and no, I did not get a copy of any pathology reports but I personally got my hospital records and you are so right about doctor patient relationship issues. The OBGYN and Urologist did not like it when I asked for the records a year after the final surgery stating it was for an attorney.

• Kitty says:

To J MaXwell…Send registered letter and find a new attorney

6. anony says:

Thank you still standing. That was a great comment to all. Thanks again for your time in writing that.

I understand why the attys and J&J get so mad at blogs. Not just this one, but all.

Client reads something that is all wrong, and starts calling his/her atty asap.

For instant: The atty in the bloom article is not the only atty involved with the settlement talks.

He does not have all 3,000 or so cases. That would be COI and impossible.

7. Here is the link to the Ethicon pretrial order regarding preservation of explanted mesh.

8. AP says:

The JnJ headlines got my immediate attention . I’ve not heard from my lawyers since March 30th. I’m not discouraged with all that I understand is taking place, that being said, I do expect to receive some communication from them after I send them out a packet stating what has transpired since March. I’ve endured 5 procedures/surgery’s, going this Tuesday for another procedure, perform physical therapy 5 days a week. I will make my appointment with my ENT surgeon for a CT of my head and will meet with the surgical team for consultation for an upcoming 2hr surgery AND I’m still not finished with the medical team attempting to bring me to better health. It will be 2 years in March of 2017 since the horrible surgery and I still cannot walk without a limp and I don’t see an end to the injuries I can’t seem to be rid of. I am seeing Drs at least twice a
    week. That’s my life. I was a lady who looked at least 15 years younger than I am (told by many) I’ve aged tremendously. Patience and praying to God for a better health situation. My prayers will be answered. Ladies I believe in speaking up when you have the documention to back you up as I do, on the other hand , there is power having faith in prayer.

• AP, Im so sorry for your physical and emotional pain. It has been almost 9 years and eight surgeries for me. When I was two years in, I couldnt even think the pain was so bad. Things are better in the past year,so please keep pushing through even when you think you cant another day. No surgery for 10 months,which is a record for me. However, still many doctor appointments and have returned to physical therapy to break up scar tissue growing over my urethra. Actually went eight weeks between visits to my urogynecologist. Did a happy dance. Didnt last, but I celebrated any way. I will pray for your healing. I used to tell my hospice patients that there were many ways to be healed than physically. I understand that more deeply now. Be well.

• Jan Quiles says:

AP. you mention that you’re having a CT Scan of your head by ENT. I posted on group with facebook my concern that I have head issues that have come on in the last year and have a concern about mesh toxins since doctors can’t say why I have scalp tightness and now nasal issues. I’m considering MRI of the head. Two other women have come forward with similar issues.

9. Jimmy says:

How much longer jane do you think jandj will be able to hold out?

That is the $ 70 billion dollar question to which I have no answer. look to the upcoming Philadelphia trials to perhaps provide some insight. If J&J continues to have substantial losses in jury verdicts that is unsustainable, even for a $70 billion a year company.

• tammie says:

I do not have a claims number I don’teven know how to get mine I still would like to have a place to call at a courthouse or at least some number can anybody teach me how to

I would be happy to help. If you are filed o, west virginia, go to southern district of wv. Cluck on your manufacturer, then numeric cases. In the search bar put in your name. You should have your case number usually 2:12-cv-case number here.

• tammie says:

My attorney are in Florida I just called then and I got told ” we are in negotiations…

• That is true. However, we do not know what they were insured for. I imagine they pay extraordinary amounts of product liability insurance, which is probably set on a maximum amount per event, so their insurance company is paying out legal fees to fight these suits. If the payout is less than their insured amount per event, J&J may not be as financially crippled as we would think. They for sure have limits that insurance will pay, but do you know what that amount would be?

• TenderLegal says:

I know the situation is very frustrating, but unfortunately, litigation is a process. I think some of the women on this forum think that attorneys are the problem, when in fact, most of the attorneys are fighting on BEHALF of the women. Most firms are very sympathetic to the plight of the injured and they are doing everything they can to be your voice and be heard. Still Standing is right – you should contact your law firm to get an update on your file if you have not spoken with them in a while. But also please understand that there is not going to be news every month and because the landscape is always changing, constant contact letters are not always feasible.

As for Ethicon/J&J, we always knew they were going to be the last to settle. They are one of the largest pharmaceutical & medical device manufacturers in the world and they have the most products still currently on the market. It is true that many firms are in negotiations with them. I anticipate a number of settlement agreements before the end of the year, but that does not mean that payment will begin right away. Understand there is an administrative requirement to the settlement process, including releases and lien resolution. Right now, Ethicon wants to focus on their discontinued products (Gynemesh, Prolift, Prosima) and will discuss the TVT family of products if the client has had surgery. This is not to say you do not have a valid case if you have not had surgery on your TVT implant. However, as this is a litigation, you must show demonstrable evidence of your medical problems, so you are encouraged to see a doctor to evaluate what is going on and make sure there is a record of such. This is a specialty medicine, so it is important that you are evaluated by a doctor qualified to assess your problems. I encourage the women on here to continue to share the names of doctors they recommend for the mesh complications. Jane has also been helpful with recommendations. It goes much further with the defense if you are able to be diagnosed with problems, rather than just complaining of them, and becomes harder for the defense to refute.

Still Standing is also correct that you need to discuss your offers with your attorneys. Not everyone has a good trial case and your attorney can give you the pros and cons. In addition, trials can drag on and even if you are able to receive a verdict in your favor, the defense can appeal and it can be a very long time before you see any money. Most importantly, in general, Judge Goodwin is pleased with the defendants attempts to settle so it could be a very long time before you were to see the inside of a court room. Most of the women cannot afford that kind of delay. Judge Goodwin has continued to push trials for Ethicon because he has not been pleased with their progress, but he cannot “make them settle” as some women on here have suggested. That is not the job of a judge.

Thank you very much for that full explanation….. appreciated.

• J Maxwell says:

The paralegal told me that they had the record for my last surgery that was performed by an OBGYN and Urologist but I do not know that there is a specimen of the removed mesh. My doctors are not very helpful and I think they do not want to be involved in a lawsuit. They were very kind before I mentioned I wanted my records forwarded to an attorney. I was told I would need to take care of that myself and the Urologist said my file was closed and/or sent to my PCP So I just called the hospital and got my records from them and forwarded to these last attorneys. My concern is that if I have no specimen will the court still hear my case and/or if they do will I be part of a group or single case hearing? Does anyone know how I find out about the number of women in a group?

10. tammie says:

I call my attorney firm and end up with more questions them answers

11. DJ says:

Hello fellow victims
    I am a fellow victim of the manufacturer giant JJ ethicon, my nightmare began 10 years ago, I see no end in sight. My lawsuit was filed 5 years ago and my case is being worked up for trial now. Please be very careful about your conversations especially social media. Jane is correct, JJ Ethicon knows every minute detail about my life.

My email is not meant in any way to discourage you. Keep fighting with everything within you. Research, research, research and know your cases, especially its worth. Your attorneys will deal with you accordingly.

We have to put up a united front, we are fighting our attorneys, the court, and the manufacturers. We need each other. Write your state representatives, state Senators, the White House, (monthly) after all they are/have daughters, sisters and mothers.

12. DJ says:

Correction:
    Search to find a law firm that will fight for you and your case’ worth. There are some great attorneys out there that are in this war with us. We are fighting a system. Fight Smart

13. Kitty says:

Does anyone know what went on this week in Goodwins court?