Trial Day 5 – Doctor Would Not Use Prosima Pelvic Mesh Again

Tlogo CVNHANKS TO COURTROOM VIEW NETWORK FOR PROVIDING A LIVE FEED TO Carol Cavness v. Kowalczyk et al., case # DC-14-04220, in its fifth day in a Dallas courtroom.

MND, September 25, 2015 ~ Carol Cavness sued Ethicon in 2014 after having a Prosima polypropylene mesh device implanted transvaginally two years earlier to treat pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

The Cavness case is the sixth product liability case filed against Ethicon over its pelvic mesh. Three of those cases have yielded jury awards ranging from $1.2 to $11.1 million. Other cases filed against Ethicon, a division of Johnson & Johnson, have beeen quietly settled, though the healthcare giant has offered no large settlements in this mass tort. J&J is facing about 35,000 product liability filings over pelvic mesh, more than any of the other six manufacturers.

So far, two juries have found the TVT-O, mesh used for incontinence, and made of the same mesh as the Prosima, to have been defectively designed and manufactured.

Prolene Mesh

Prolene Mesh

Ethicon knew the mesh used in the Prosima could prompt an immune system response that would cause degradation of pelvic tissue, but that information was withheld, says her complaint.   Instead the company called the mesh “safe and effective” in its marketing efforts.

“Contrary to the representations and marketing of defendants J&J and Ethicon, the pelvic mesh products have high failure, injury, and complication rates, fail to perform as intended, require frequent and often debilitating revision surgeries, and have caused severe and irreversible injuries, conditions, and damage to a significant number of women,” Cavness’ complaint states.

Cavness is seeking compensatory damages for disfigurement, impairment, past and future medical expenses and mental anguish. Punitive damages will also be allowed, reports CVN, after Judge Ken Molberg denied Ethicon’s motion to deny punitive damages against the company.

The Plaintiff’s complaint says Dr. Teresa Kowalczyk was negligent in the care and treatment of her patient and failed to disclose the risks associated with the medical device. But what did the doctor actually know about the risks?

Dr. Kowalczyk, implanting physician

Dr. Kowalczyk, implanting physician

THE IMPLANT PHYSICIAN

Dr Teresa Kowalczyk was the Ob/Gyn who implanted Carol Cavness with the Prosima mesh on April 24, 2012. Jurors will have to decide if her failure to care for the patient was due to being ill-informed about the dangers of mesh or whether she practiced poorly.

Originally from Poland, she works in the underserved area of Greenville, Texas about 50 miles northeast of Dallas. Both Dr. Kowalczyk and her hospital, Hunt Regional Medical Center, are being sued by the Plaintiff for the care she received.

Dr. Kowalczyk began using the Prosima mesh in 2010. Previously she had used some mesh for pelvic organ repair made by American Medical Systems but generally she had rejected most meshes, instead relying on native tissue repair.

She appeared nervous. Her answers were precise and complete and spoken with a slight accent.

Prosima prototype

Prosima prototype

Sometime in 2010, the doctor met the sales rep for Ethicon products, Paul Quartz. She trusted him. They met once or twice a week. Sometimes he would bring lunch to the office. He got to know her staff.  He seemed to know about the Prosima Pelvic Floor Repair System.  Dr. Kowalczyk liked what she heard. Prosima didn’t have the long arms of the Prolift Pelvic mesh used for POP, it didn’t use trocars, stainless steel tubes to pass the mesh into place, and it was a much smaller mesh.

Dr. Kowalczyk liked to read all of the materials herself, she said and she didn’t remember if the sales rep was in the operating room when she implanted Ms. Cavness.

David Matthews, Attorney for Cavness

David Matthews, Attorney for Cavness

Plaintiff attny. Matthews: “Is Paul Quartz why you first started using Prosima?”

Dr. K: “Yes. He said it was softer and promoted quick recovery.  He said any problems would be a technique issue, that any problems with Prosima are rare.”

Matthews: “Did he ever tell you the FDA was questioning Ethicon about the safety of Prosima?”

I don’t recall, she said. On cross examination, Dr. Kowalczyk said some practices don’t let the sales reps in. She tries to be nice to them.

Sales rep Quartz wanted to get the word out in Greenville so he prepared the invitations sent out to the community for a meet-and-greet luncheon to learn about the Prosima and other gynecological issues with Dr. Kowalczyk hosting the get-together.

“All surgical procedures involve risks,” said the brochure.

To encourage her acceptance of the Prosima, Paul Quartz gave Dr. K a study authored by Halina Zyczynski, at the University of Pittsburgh. One-Year Clinical outcomes After Prolapse Surgery with nonanchored mesh and vaginal support devices, Here,  which concluded “vaginal support, pelvic symptoms and sexual function improved at one year….” but the co-authors included David Robinson, and others working for Ethicon, directly or indirectly, as part of the Prosima Study Investigators.

The study says under “Performance” the inflammation is transient and that the mesh remained soft and pliable.

That was not what the FDA had concluded a year earlier. In a Safety Communication, the agency said a posterior repair with mesh did not represent added benefit to native tissue repair, and complications with POP (pelvic organ prolapse) mesh were “not rare.” Dr. Kowalczyk did not know that.

“Would that be important for you to know,” asked Matthews. She acknowledged it would.  The IFU (Instructions for Use) contained nothing under adverse reaction that would lead a surgeon to believe chronic permanent pain could result from a Prosima implant, or that it should not be used for a Grade 3 or 4 rectocele.  She admitted the IFU admitted none of those things.

Was she adequately warned about the risks of Prosima? No, she said.

Pelvic organs, FDA

Pelvic organs, FDA

SURGERY SCHEDULED

Ms. Cavness had first gone to Dr. Kowalczyk on April 23, 2012 after a trip to the emergency room with abdominal cramps two days earlier. The symptoms were abrupt and had been constant for about one week. She had a Grade 3 rectocele, one step away from the most serious, where the vaginal wall next to the rectum bulges out of the vagina. It was difficult to walk, Dr. Kowalczyk noted in a follow-up visit note.

The surgeon said Ms. Cavness was in a lot of pain but she wanted to go back to work.  Surgery was suggested, but Dr. Kowalczyk said she always encourages patients to ultimately to make their own decision.  The Plaintiff was a smoker and the doctor warned her that tissues have poorer healing due to smoking.  Lifting heavy items as an aircraft mechanic represented a risk of a recurrence.

Surgery done by Dr. Kowalczyk on April 24, 2012 included a Prosima mesh to reinforce a native tissue repair for added security.  Things improved for a few weeks but by June, Ms. Cavness returned crying with lower abdominal pain worse than before surgery, she said.

The doctor suspected the symptoms could indicate interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome. She never had the testing.

Eventually Dr. Kowalczyk referred Ms. Cavness to a pain doctor.

Today, what does Dr. Kowalczyk do for a Grade 3 rectocele, she was asked under direct examination.

“I do a native tissue repair,” she said.

Kat Gallagher, attorney for J&J

Kat Gallagher, attorney for J&J

Under cross-examination, attorney Kathleen Gallagher for Ethicon asked, “You would use the Prosima today if it was available, but for the legal environment and fear of being sued, you would use it, right?”

The Defense expected an affirmative. They did not get it.

“I would not use it,” said Dr. Kowalczyk looking defiant.

LIFE CARE PLAN AND MEDICAL NEEDS

Absent from most of these pelvic mesh product liability trials has been an economic forecast of what the Plaintiff will need financially and medically to live the rest of her life.   The Linda Gross case against Ethicon’s Prolift mesh yielded $11.1 million, still the highest jury award against Ethicon. It had a life care plan.

An economist was brought into Cavness v. Ethicon. Dr. Thomas Meyer projected that her job as an aircraft mechanic would result in wages lost of upward of $935,460. The Plaintiff has been trying to return to work but her pay stubs show months of lost wages due to the pain of her medical condition.

The Plaintiff has had two mesh removal surgeries and has incurred medical expenses. She would need $573,383 worth of medical care over a 25-year period with adjusted growth of 1.25% a year, plus inflation, the economist said.  That does not account for any further deterioration of her condition.

A DAUGHTER’S CONCERN

The day ended with testimony by Ms. Cavness’ daughter, Brandy. Married with three children she lives nearby in Campbell, Texas. Brandy had witnessed her mother change from a happy, vibrant, outgoing personality who loved her work as an airline mechanic to someone who watches TV all day.  Ms. Cavness no longer enjoys yard work, remodeling, family outings, and playing with her grandchildren. The family bought her an iPad to entertain her at home.

Vaginal spotting, discharge, UTI’s and pain are part of her life today. Two mesh removal surgeries with a Dr. Carley did not resolve the issue. Neither did a surgical repair with Dr. Phillippe Zimmern of Dallas.

“It’s a struggle for her to go to work every day. To be honest I don’t know how she does it,” said Brandy who described her pain as intense as childbirth.

“She’s sad and lonely. She has to ask for help in a lot of different things… She’s a strong woman (she starts tearing up her voice breaks up).  She has to ask for help,” said Brandy.

Her mom moved in with Brandy’s family last February. Ms. Cavness and her husband have subsequently divorced. There was not a lot for them to do together anymore, said Brandy.  #

1. anonymous says:

This almost sounds like it could be me at least the part where all you do is sit and watch TV or work on the computer because you can’t do anything else the part about a marriage lost we are they staying together now for financial reasons once I get my settlement I’ll be all alone I haven’t moved in with my kids because they went on with their lives as they should while I sit here and wait for each day to pass but the clock to slowly click Forward night time isn’t even something to look forward to anymore because even when I’m laying down I’m in pain this is our lives no ladies this is what you have to look forward to I used to be extremely active to and now just the littlest trip to the doctor can cause me pain for days mesh is bad and the most companies have to realize they’re going to have to pay off for what we lost I simply will not settle

• Betty says:

I feel just like you do. My life is pain and more pain. My dogs in some days don’t want to be here or near me.

• Bejah Blue says:

It is interesting Betty that your dogs do not sometimes want to be near you…that must make you so sad. My male puppy stays with me, yesterday I was in bed sleeping almost all day for example and he was with me almost all the time leaning up against me most of the time. My female is far more independent and was outside under the deck most of the day. I find the females tend to be more independent like that. My little boy is truly…I swear he is an angel. I might not have lasted this long if it were not for them. Your dogs may just be afraid, I am sure they love you.

Bejah

• Bilal says:

Yes,mesh is destroying innocent lives…males also…

2. stopmeshimplants says:

How sad is this story? Carol Cavness and her attorney’s have my thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome. When will these manufacturers just acknowledge our pain and suffering? Carol’s daugther’s description of Carol’s daily life sounds all too familiar. Just sad and we know it is happening to thousands of individuals with implanted mesh. So depressing.

• Bejah Blue says:

Denial, denial, or if you are up for it “plausible denial” (“Independence Day” , Dimwickie character). They will NEVER acknowledge anything unless hung upside down by their pickles.

Bejah

3. anon says:

The facts are severely distorted in the courtroom and that is such an injustice. Somewhere, someone has copies of all of the memos and documents that J&J destroyed, and performed the Enron shred party to cover up the fact on the dangers of all of the Trans Vaginal Mesh products. Maybe that person will do the right thing and come forward with copies of those documents that were under a court mandate to be protected and preserved.

If one mesh product did not work, and two did not work and three and four..why did they not stop? Tell everyone it has been perfected and call it the, Gold Standard of Care, and J&J will be once again drowning in glory & money

The insurance companies are not innocent in all of this either. They could have said no, we will not approve these surgeries any longer. And the FDA ran away, never to be seen or heard from again.

Stupid, all of it reckless, avoidable and down right ignorant.

How any of this is not yet a criminal matter is questionable. A man who owned a peanut company was just sentenced to 28 years in prison for covering up the truth of how bad his products were and how bad the facility was and ect.. Yes, a few people died, many were very were sick, some sill sick, and yet these mesh cases where thousands of people are affected go unnoticed except on the civil side of the law, and barely there as J&J has made it a circus, and has over loaded the judicial system and manipulated the judicial system for their own agenda, and how this is being done is a mystery to many.

Criminal laws have been breached over and over but no action is ever taken. The Gag orders placed on women need to come off. These attorney’s can not handle all of these cases alone without the help of their clients. Something has to give. Trying to avoid mass mania is going to result in years of unsettled cases and many of these attorneys can not afford this. This is giving women false hope.

And many mesh victims will suffer needlessly when a reasonable offer to each one would still be more cost efficient than all of these trials. What is the underlying factor for J&J to push so hard against mesh victims in litigation and in the court rooms?

• Bejah Blue says:

Anon,

Thank you for your thoughts, sharing your voice. I agree completely and will only comment thought, on a couple of things you have said. It is pretty clear at this point, but bears repeating ad infinium (forgive sp. errors) that “they” continue the “new and improved” strategy which is a classic sales maneuver, because it has always worked with “consumers” (human beings), has it not, with moisture lotions, automobiles, refrigerators, etc. Everything. We always buy the lies. The other reason they keep doing it is because no one, no entity, no government agency has the will or the heart or the power to stop them.

I must assume that so far no potential whistleblower has come forward either because they are afraid, perhaps even for their lives, or they may be paid to keep quiet. I am sure many if not most of us pray for one of these people to come forward and save us, and save our lives in many cases. I still feel something is building momentum in this matter, something is going to happen, something will happen to blow this wide open and cause these criminals (And perhaps they are mafia infiltrated) to wish they could go back to the good old days when they got away with murder.

Clearly this is a criminal matter as well as a civil matter…I don’t care what the law says, laws were not meant to be absolute, they were intended to be guidelines, to be interpreted by just, wise and well informed representatives of the people. My little voice chimes in, “How’s that working for ya”. The truth is that there is criminal activity in this matter. The problem is that NOTHING is being done to address it. I don’t expect anything ever will be.

With regard to “Gag orders”, Anon, I have not yet read the definition but I am not sure that is exactly the term that should be used in this matter but totally understand your reasoning and use of it. In my case, my counsel asked only that I not discuss my case, this in a conversation only. I see this as an expression of mutual trust and understanding. I think that a gag order may be something placed on perhaps a jury in a court case, in a trial, etc. But I will try to find out just to clarify.

Sometimes the language we use can be very important so we should always be careful. An example of why this is so might be, one is supposed to turn on their turn signal when driving and preparing to turn but many do not do so if there are no other cars on the road. The problem with this, aside from it being against the law, is that your mind will learn that this is OK, this is the default and one day that could cost you your life. We need to remember that everything we do trains our minds or reinforces existing knowledge. Ever drink too much at a holiday party and have no memory of how you drove home? I have I am embarrassed to say and the reason I arrived home safely is because my conscious mind knew the way home…spooky but true in a very “cool” sort of way. Please do not try this at home.

Back to gag orders….I do not think it is that you are not allowed to discuss the matter at all (I am sure the defense would like you to think that) but rather you are asked not to discuss the details of your personal case and there is a meaningful difference but do get the definitive answer from your counsel.

I would personally also advise that you not discuss your case outside of certain members of your immediate family at all. Where money is concerned people can change in frightening ways, turn on you, try to separate you from any settlement or award you may receive and disappear from your life. I believe it is best to trust no one and speak in very general terms, change the subject, etc. Protect yourself.

Consider the number of women whose husbands have abandoned them. What do you think those men would have done if they had stayed and their wives (you) won a meaningful settlement to take care of your lifelong health and other needs. I guarantee they would try to lay claim to that money if they could and leave you then. I’ll bet there are some out there now planning to do just such a thing. That is one reason why consulting with someone like Dr. Vigna about life planning documents is a good idea if you can do it, remembering that he is also an attorney. As I recall he has been generous to offer us a discount. Protect yourself. At the very least draw up a Will and have it notarized. Never think it can not get any uglier than it is. The truth is it can.

Bejah

4. Hal Lewis says:

HOORAY for the Doctor for looking J&J’s attorney in the eye and saying “NO”!!!!!

• Hal Lewis says:

And HOORAY for the stupid attorney for asking the question!

Dumb dumb dumb.

• K says:

I couldn’t believe the attorney asked that question either but I was very pleased with her response. I am suprised they haven’t settled this one because I don’t think it;s looking promising for J&J.

• Polly Montgomery says:

And she is supposed to be one of the best attorneys in the land. HA! Stupid woman but great for us!!! God is working hard here. Go God! Counting on higher judgment! I am so sick of this crap. My poor kids who have had to watch their mother deteriorate before their eyes are equally sick of it.

We’ve lost everything.

J&J are the most ruthless, pieces of trash ever know to modern day society.

Personally, I hope Alex Gorsky burns in hell! Hope I’m standing there when Jesus judges him and I hope Big Al sees a tape recorder so to speak of all the torture he has bestowed on innocent people. Furthermore, I hope his eternity in HELL is spent feeling the pain he inflicted on others,,,,FOR MONEY!

I am extremely MESH INJURED from the Pathetic, useless, manipulative, lying, deceitful behavior of those bastards from J&J.

• anonymous says:

AMEN POLLY! Just remember AMS BARD ALL ARE GUILTY OF HURT US!! We are told that there will be settlement but then the settlements don’t even begin to even cover the medical bills and all the out of the pocket expenses that we had their settlement are nothing but a freakin joke to try to make the ones that are doing this just to get the money go away while the severely and catastrophic the injured women are told they get a little settlements to because all the other ones settle for little or nothing what b******* I’m in the same place that you are they have destroyed my life and made every day nothing but a living hell I hate J&J AMS Lord you name it they’re all liars and they all did this in the name of getting money and I hope and pray there is a God that will judge them because this life will be nothing but a miserable mess for me because of their lies and deception we’re told not to say anything because it makes us look bad but what are we supposed to do sit here in silence and suffer in pain and agony everyday I don’t know how many of us could live that way and I’m not looking forward to the rest of my life because if this is all it is pain in day in and day out I’d rather be dead

• Bejah Blue says:

Maybe it is in the end that the settlements are intended, when they can not be avoided by the defense, to pacify the masses, the “unwashed hordes” that are the American people in their view. “Bring me your poor, your sick, your huddled massed longing to be free” is not exact but takes us to the great documents perhaps with a Dickens twist…are we not still those poor souls clinging to the worn bedding in the ship’s hold, sick and cold and worn down? We came to America for a dream, a new beginning, a different form of government that respected the rights of all individual human beings, for freedom of the press and religion…how far, tell me good people of America, how far have we come?

What is the function of the settlement in our time? Is it what was initially intended or has it been distorted to favor the same oppressors who followed us here from other shores, and is that impulse that we cannot abide, a potential in ourselves as human beings that we must suppress, control and integrate so that it does not overpower our souls and the souls of our institutions, our governing bodies, and even our houses of worship?

Are we free, really? Settlement as we know it in our time serves the oppressor even as it pays out a small pittance gobbled up by those always first in line. Where does that leave us?

I am reminded of one of the most powerful images I know of in western literature…remember in the film interpretations of the great Christmas tale when Father Christmas opens his beautiful lush robes to reveal two starving orphans? Those are the children of the world, the children of GOD that are abandoned, abused, and beaten down not by their parents or communities so much as by their governments and the economic engines of those governments. Father Christmas warns us to take care of them, take notice for they will be the source of our undoing (As civilization) and we see that today more than ever. It tells the story of the mesh wounded, it tells the story of the oppressed all over the world who rise up to lash out against their oppressor, and yet still we do not hear, we do not learn. We do not even see that film on television much any longer, as if it were an anacronism but we still see vintage “Christmas” films that have at their core the joy of shopping. I challenge you to not shop this Christmas. Bake, cook, read to eachother, go for a Sunday drive, play with your children and if you must buy, buy from charity shops.

Turn the other cheek. GOD is love. John Lennon knew and famously said “Love is all there is”. This is why we are cautioned to not become too attached to the material world. It s potential to bring us pain is great. So reach for an equitable settlement, it is your right, but do not mourn its loss.

Bejah

• anonymous says:

I mourn the loss of my life that’s what I mourn I I mourn the loss of the ability to pay my bills keep my house hang on to a husband have friends and family around me I mourn the loss of being able to bake or even clean my house anymore or to go for that Sunday Drive. But I am NOT going to mourn the loss of a settlement that I deserve that I will stick my heels in and I don’t care I will make them face me in a court of law I’m not going to mourn losing money I don’t worship money I worship god but God also tells me do not let them trample you down for you are a child of God and you deserve more and in the end I believe my God will make it OK but I’m not going to turn the other cheek for these people these are evil evil people and they need to have someone face them face to face and call out their wrongful deeds and make the world know that they did this their only chance is to step up and do the right thing but obviously they haven’t done the right thing in a long time why should they start now I can only hope that my attorney will not let me be sold down the river I guess all I can do is wait and see. I like your story about Father Christmas and all of that but guess what this year like last year and the year before and the year before that I will not have a good Christmas I can not put up a tree I cannot put up decorations I can not make Christmas dinner and even when all of that is taken care of by somebody else and I laugh and we have a good time and we remember the reason for Christmas and that is where my hope is right now in Jesus that He will come back and he will make this all ok for me but you must understand I am severely injured I cannot sit even have a complete Christmas meal before I have to get up and do something else I can not even really be present because of all of the narcotics that I’m on for pain they have stolen my life so I don’t mean to be rude I understand what you’re trying to say but at the end of the day that’s settlement the money can help me find the help that I need to hopefully get better or at least to be able to have some help doing the things in my home that I need to do like cook clean grocery shop etc and in the end I hope that I can go and find more medical help for my pain and nerve damage right now I don’t even have the money to do that so please don’t tell me to turn the other cheek and just take whatever settlement I can get I’m not going to do that I’ve been through this b******* long enough and somebody’s going to pay or we’re going to have a day in court because that is the right thing to do to just walk away and say okay I’ll take that money would be letting them continue their web of deception lies and cruelty to women

• Bejah Blue says:

Anon.,

You are not being rude, you say what you need to say. It’s OK. I pray that your husband does what he vowed to do and says by your side. You do the best you can. Sit for as long as you can then lay down for awhile and then sit again for a time…that is what I have to do, what probably most of us have to do.

I have come to believe that these profoundly evil individuals will never do the right thing, will never admit to wrongdoing, will never give any of us a penny unless forced to do so, unless their cost benefit analyses suggest the alternative would represent potentially greater loss for them.

It is a noble cause, insisting that you will stand your ground and fight for a just settlement but I tell you it is a terrible trail up that mountain. When my mother died because of gross negligence three months before I was implanted I consulted a law firm, consumed in unbearable sorrow and immeasurable rage. I was told that I did have a very strong case but they also told me this: It would take every penny I had to fight the hospital, doctors, and others involved, it would take years, and it would suck the life out of me. They told me they would go ahead if that is what I wanted but advised strongly against it because it would, in a very real sense, cost me my life. Please think about this Anon. and how it might apply to you. Blessings,

Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Always good to hear from Hal.

Bejah

It was hard to not have respect for this doctor. She is put in a very difficult place and seems to care deeply for her patients. She has the Eastern European professional woman presence, not warm and fuzzy but very competent and business-like. As an observed, she appears to care for her patients,… Just things she said… she was doing native tissue before being sold on the latest and greatest improvements.

5. toni says:

I am so sick of my life while they deny any wrong i have suffered so much as have all of us. How in this country does this happenmThe very goverent we all pay as taxpayers fda courts are all about taking care of these greedy companies all thier money makes them unnacountable. The prolift they used on me and TVT all were to ?ke my life easier the doctor said he rebuilt me and i never even had any issues before went to have an IUD removed after thw 5 yrs but was told i had all tgis other stuff wrong. prolift was never submitted to FDA yet doc said i would feel like a new woman yes pain and suffering haveade a new woman of me. I have gone through 4 surgeries and mono constant UTI”s and it gets worse with every procedure.Pandora”s box. they have frankestiened my life health . I would give anything to have my life back. settlemrnts or judgement can never do that for anyone of us. we are the cost of doing business . so if we went out and stole someones life could we use the defence of the cost of us living life. How do these people sleep enjoy life the finer things while they destroy others.What has this country let alone this world come to ? can anyone answer to that?

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Toni, I don’t think anyone can answer that question. I have “Polift” as well, implanted in my poor body that remains so distraught about what has been done to it. I think changing the name to PROFIT is an excellent idea and I may start doing that if I can remember. I think the blue vines are winding around my brain. Hey, maybe they are all aliens trying to alter our DNA and kill us all and heaven knows what else. Nothing would surprise me. The problem is, did you notice, the mesh wounded have less credibility. It seems to come with the territory. Another brainchild of Johnson & Johnson. Take care Kitty.

Bejah

6. toni says:

They should have named the prolift “profit” because johnson and johnson is about profits money greed stocks lining thier own pockets. Wow how can they say the put doctors nurses pateints babys poeple first. Thats like saying Bin Laudin loves america. These companies are all inside terorist against our country . creedo means nothing. Actions speek volumes. This company should be shut down . They think they are above the law. VW peanut butter why is heathcare manufactuers not held to even higher standsard? why do they get to defraud us the FDA medicare take lives in dealth or at the least a quality of life. How much are our lifes worth. mine was priceless but now surviving each day is what i am left with. Screw thier money i want my life back.

7. Janis Urban says:

So sad it’s like hearing a lyric of a song that is playing over and over. Lives and our beautiful bodies destroyed by these toxic mesh implants. Abandoned by an entire medical community that has a Protocol in place for implanting these Pelvic Mesh Kits but ZERO, No Protocol for the adverse effects and complications of these implants. The mesh injured are toxic to treat we are a Liability. And it’s Hands Off…Do not Touch…How can you trust any Doctor or Nurse when they all look at you and say “Mesh? What Mesh?, Oh No, No I never heard Of Mesh, No?” It’s time to hold Doctor’s accountable! Failing to Treat and Diagnose the many serious complications of mesh will come back and haunt them.

• anonymous says:

How true Jane it’s bad enough to be mutilated and in constant pain but then to even have our own attorney say well this is a good settlement when you know its only pennies how do you deal with all that HOW DO YOU MAKE ATTORNEYS AND COMPANIES UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN FROM YOU AND HOW MUCH YOU HONESTLY DESERVE? How do you deal with doctors that look at you like you’re insane when you tell me how painful it always is and they’re not sure how to fix it so they make up things and steer you down the wrong way because they simply don’t understand or they put you on so many meds that you feel like a zombie all the time is there no end to this what is the answer it would have been better if they had simply come out and shot me directly in the head then to kill me like they are

• Bejah Blue says:

Thank you Janice for this lovely yet sorrowful post.

Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

I just wanted to add…there are many wonderful caring nurses but beware: Nurses work for the hospitals they are employed by and that means they report to the administrators and they watch and monitor doctors and report on them often like good little Nazis, and as most of us know, doctors are independent contractors and are not employed by hospitals but simply have “privileges” there…at least this is my understanding. I am very careful about what I say to nurses. And doctors in private practice seem to not employee RN’s any longer, instead opting for PA’s. I am still not sure how I feel about this but since I am paying for high option insurance I will not accept being seen by a PA. As I may have mentioned somewhere I was thinking about dropping high option as it is so expensive and just going to an HMO BUT here in the Palm Springs, CA area t seems doctors are not even accepting patients who have HMO supplements to Medicare any longer. What the H**L is going on with healthcare in this country?????

Must go lay down now, take care all.

Bejah

8. Janine says:

This is so big in terms of a global situation… Yet we are all soooooo small. Someone needs to whistleblow… To stand up for the women that have lost all their dignity. Mesh erodes not only through your body but into every aspect of your life.. Work.. Family… Intimacy… Confidence …at some point something must be done… The stories I have read.. The way these broken women still support each other … I am incredulous that these companies will get away with this~ particularly when women are STILL having these devices put in .. Every minute in the world… please can someone bring this house of cards DOWN