Third Verdict for Toxic Talc J&J Hit with $55 Million Verdict

talcum powederMesh News Desk, May 2, 2016 ~ Third Talc Trial Awards $55 Mil to Plaintiff  following $72 Million verdict in February.

Fourth talc trial is set for September in  St. Louis.

This is the second verdict this year against Johnson & Johnson over its talcum powder.  On Monday, a jury in Missouri awarded a woman who claims the use of talc by the company caused ovarian cancer $55 million.

Of that $50 million is in punitive damages.  In February another St. Louis, Missouri jury awarded a different plaintiff $75 million over her ovarian cancer that led to her death. Of that, $62 million was punitive damages.

The case was tried by the same law firm, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles of Montgomery, Alabama. These are the first talcum powder cases to go to trial. There are more than 1,000 plaintiffs who have filed similar cases.

J&J plans an appeal.

The plaintiff, Gloria Ristesund of South Dakota, used Johnson’s baby powder for nearly 40 years. She was diagnosed with cancer five years ago. She had a hysterectomy and talc was found in her ovarian tissues. Her cancer is in remission.

Interestingly, Bloomberg reports her trial was a “defense pick,” meaning J&J felt the facts in this trial were on its side. Christy Jones, (Butler Snow) defended J&J. She has been lead defense counsel in several pelvic mesh trials.

Christy Jones, Feb 2013

Christy Jones, Feb 2013

Shower-to-Shower powder, also made by J&J,  is also used by women and advertised as a feminine hygiene product.

Johnson & Johnson says it does not need to warn of the health concerns because there are none.

“Unfortunately, the jury’s decision goes against 30 years of studies by medical experts around the word [sic] that continue to support the safety of cosmetic talk,” said a spokesperson. A juror told Bloomberg they felt as though the company knew for decades the product should have contained a warning but did not.

The first talc trial in South Dakota three years ago concluded with a jury verdict finding J&J was negligent but failed to award damages.  Another talc trial is scheduled in St. Louis in September.

The problem with talc is it can be contaminated with asbestos fibers. Talc is mined from the soil and can contain magnesium, silicon, oxygen and hydrogen, used to absorb moisture.  The American Cancer Society says some talc may contain asbestos.

Johnson & Johnson and its Ethicon division are facing more than 40,000 pelvic mesh trials, many to be heard this year.  #

LEARN MORE

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, February 24, 2016, J&J Must Pay $72 Million to Plaintiff’s Family Over Toxic Talc  here

Environmental Working Group on Talc here

Bloomberg, J&J Faces 1,000 more Talc Cancer Suits here

1. dottie says:

Jane, I have 5 children age between 55 to 40. The youngest, a boy, told me today that a society’s success is determined by the way the women are treated and cared for. If they are treated well, the society will thrive. If they are treated poorly, it will be the downfall of that society. I don’t know how he knows that, but I’m proud of him. He takes wonderful care of his wife and 2 young daughters.
    I’m a mesh survivor and I’m fearful of what’s going to become of all of us. So many young woman are implanted and have years of suffering ahead of them.

Your youngest boy is very smart and I agree completely… how we treat our women and children indicates the goodness of a society in my opinion….Are mesh makers listening?

2. Tammy S Jackson says:

J&J needs to take notice. Profit over Humans. They need to step up and take their poison off the market. Surgical Mesh and Powder. Congrats to the Lady….

3. vrml26 says:

I don’t understand why the talcum powder makes the news and mesh does not….

• K. Doro says:

I thought Talc was no longer in use–I
      thought they replaced it with cornstarch—-but i noticed that Gold Bond Powder has talc in it.

4. Karen says:

Yes i agree strongly with u vrml26. Whats going on ???? We are suffering with this VAGINAL MESH !!! I’ve never had surgery that caused a cutting no a SLAUTHERING through my body WHILE its in my body . Just put me in a ALIEN movie and here it is !!!!!
    JOHNSON AND JOHNSON ETHICON CAN NEVER PAY MY MILLIONS DOLLARS BY OUR JUDGES !!!! NOW WHICH STATE FEDERAL JUDGE WILL GET ALL OF THESE BABY POWDER CASES AND PUT THEM ON HOLD !!!! AGAIN THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR PUTTING 100,000 WOMEN IN AMERICA ON HOLD BECAUSE THESE HATEFUL INVESTORS NEED TO REGAIN CONTROL OF VAGINAL MESH INVENTORY PONZI SCHEME !!! WE HAVE SUPPORTED AMERICA AND ALL WE GET OUT OF THIS IS GO SIT DOWN AND DON’T SAY NOTHING !!! JUST WATCH CLOSELY I WILL BET YOU ALL MY MILLION DOLLARS IN THE POWERBALL , MEGA MILLIONS AND TEXAS LOTTERIES THOSE BABY POWER JUDGES WILL SETTLE WAY MORE MILLIONS DOLLARS CASES THEN OUR JUDGES FROM VAGINAL MESH !!!! THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY SET THIS UP !!!!WE ALL KNOW NOW CANCER IS A BIG DEAL , BUT IT BECUASE THEY MAKING A TON OF MONEY !!! JUST LIKE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE CAUSES KIDNEY FAILURE LOTS OF PEOPLE NOW 2016 ARE HAVING KIDNEY FAILURE!!! THIS COUNTRY IS STILL IN THE DARK AGES!!!!! WE NEVER GET CURES WE GET COVERED !!!! WOMEN OF VAGINAL MESH DON’T FORGET TO TELL EVERYONE YOU MEET ABOUT HOW THESE DOCTORS , CONGRESS, HOSPITALS, PRESIDENTS,MANUFACTURERS AND CORPORATIONS HAVE INVESTED IN BUTCHERING AND SLAUTHERING US WOMEN WITH VAGINAL MESH !!!!! MUTILATING US WOMEN FOR MONEY !!!!!

5. sean says:

Johnson and Johnson believes it is above the law. They make me sick. How can big pharmaceutical companies run America the way it does. We need to have everyone in America know what this mesh is and how it ruined so many women’s lives. This is something that should be talked about on every big news channel. It needs to be heard. This is the coruption of big business and America’s lack of making them follow any sort of law at all. If anyone gets a chance watch the documentary “prescription thugs” It will change your views of the big pharmaceutical companies and how the control america

Might change your view of the US Supreme Court which allowed corporations to have the rights of citizens (Citizens United) while having none of the downsides like facing prison for corporate bad deeds. Corporations are people too??? huh??? Please read about Citizens United during this important election cycle ….

• JoAnne says:

Hi Jane I called u once and raved about dr Veronikis in st.louis he removed all my mesh last may???? I still hurt after doing my chores thru the day.my legs just kill me and I was t boned by a young man in January I started seeing a chiropractor for a hurt back I want u to tell u the electrodes and some adjustments very few adjustments I feel so much better I can stand after s long day without adjusting before I took a step I don’t know if your girls could afford it but I’m so much better! He told me the lower back nerves have a lot to do with the groin area where I still hurt after a tiring day I’m in KansasCity if anyone wants his #just have them email me thank god for dr Steven Quade Santa Fe wellness center and a very fond send out to u!! God bless

6. Kitty says:

JO Anne. So happy for u in some instances the damage is too compliated. Some would have to have their pelvic shredded to get all the mesh out.

7. Barb says:

More and more news about J%J!! What else will be found in their products in the future?? I have a grandson being born in August 2016 I have provided to my daughter that THERE WILL BE NO J$J products used on him!! No bathtubs, lotions or any other product made by this horrible pharma!! They have now found themselves in a different type of medical failure product!! I think there should be a particular Judge who can put an end to all these appeals!! They must have a huge amount of product insurance coverage maybe after all MESH LAWSUITS AND NOW BABY POWDER issues are resolved they may have to find another insurance company that will make them pay higher premiums as I see them as HUGE Risk!! On another note I can honestly say that AMS has been in my opionion quite gracious in there offers and having the hold back fund. I just found out May 3rd that surgery #5 is happening on May 20, 2016. The plan is to do a full hysterectomy, mesh exision, and the burch method! The Dr. explained that she may not be able to remove ALL MESH however she will be assisted by another surgeon. I hope this gives me more freedom, less pelvic pain and less infections which yes diagnosed Tuesday!! She has found multiple pieces of mesh FLOATING around, pieces eroded in my uterous and she said she willnot be surprised if more is found while doing these procedures~~~I know I will feel better knowing that there will be less mesh in my body that can do more harm in the future!! Hope you al are oing the very best you can, keep fighting till your day comes! Jane I have a question I thought a while ago Judge Goodwin had all manufacturer’s come to the table with plans on how they plan on taking action on the mesh cases!! What happened to the plans they presented to Judge Goodwin??

Those are status hearings during which the judge encourages settlements, there is only so much he can do. Ethicon will be the subject of a number of trials for the rest of the year.

8. Kitty says:

How can they tell it is J &J talc. Do they have sales receipts?