September Brings Renewed Life in Mesh Litigation

Prolift, from Sumsuro, Japan

Welcome September from Mesh Medical Device News Desk~  Mesh News Desk has been carefully watching the proceedings that are public, many of your settlements are not, and the sense is that we are nearing an end to unsustainable litigation.

Just two weeks ago, mesh manufacture, Johnson & Johnson was hit with a $417 million loss in its talcum powder litigation, which is another product liability front for this healthcare giant with hundreds more cases waiting in the wings.

So far J&J has lost $48 million in pelvic mesh litigation in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas alone. That does not include the multidistrict litigation gathered in Charleston, WV or individual state trials.

Since the company says “sustainability” and “putting people first” is its motto, it’s tough to understand how hundreds of millions of dollars in losses before juries can be defined as “sustainable.”

Maybe they could follow the advice of one shareholder at the April’s gathering in New Brunswick, New Jersey and just “get meaner lawyers.”

No doubt J&J has the best lawyers money can buy, mean or not.

J&J is the focus this month because the company is the last large mesh manufacturer to offer mass settlements.  J&J also has more mesh product liability cases, 55,000, according to its latest SEC federal government filing. Polypropylene mesh has been used for about twenty years to make pelvic mesh implants which are permanent.  The mesh was not tested and for many, doesn’t only fail to work but causes life-altering complications.

Mesh News Desk (MND or MMDND) has been covering the issues surrounding pelvic and hernia mesh for five years now. Please enter your search terms in the Search Bar to do research and if you click on the headers such as “Legal”  “News” “Medical” you will see stories filed under that topic.

Please do not use your last names when you comment!  You can also post anonymously, making up a name.

MND is NOT a legal referral service!

MND is sustained through your donations and advertising. Please consider donating to keep our doors open.

Your purchase of BeautyCounter products will help sustain Mesh Medical Device News Desk. Start Shopping here!  Thank you.

J&J and Boston Scientific are also facing a host of new trials set for the end of this year and 2018. Stay tuned.

Congratulations for all of the media coverage gathering overseas. Still, that is not the case in the U.S. for some unknown reason.

Many of you call asking questions of MND. While I’m happy to help and often do, looking up your case, answering questions, even though I’m not an attorney or doctor, I cannot possibly get back to all of you.  I apologize. Call again if you need to talk. You should consult with your doctor or lawyer for their expertise as these pages are not meant to substitute for professional opinions.

Jane Akre, federal courthouse, Charleston WV

So many hernia-injured folks contact me as well. I ask them to contact Bruce Rosenberg, hernia mesh injured patient advocate.  Best to text him at 954-701-5094. He may be able to direct you medically.

Please learn what kind of mesh you have, the type and manufacturer.  Please stay actively involved in your case. In some cases, plaintiffs have been dropped because they moved and their law firm could no longer find them, at least not easily.

Please be kind to each other….thank you.

Jane Akre, Editor

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. Ron says:

Hi Jane,

My mother was sent a letter from her attorney and they say that J&J are offering $1000,000 to settle that will not leave her much after they take 40 percent and the NFL gets they’re share and her insurance could come back and seize money also. I don’t understand why the insurance companies didn’t sue on their own behalf for paying for defective merchandise. Can’t the courts say no to this action of them coming in on the coat tail of injured women?

• Renea says:

Ron, I was wondering what kind of injuries and surgeries your mother had. I am suppose to be getting an offer from J & J soon. I hear it’s based on how many surgeries you have had so I was wondering if you would share how many surgeries your mom had. Thank you and good luck to ypur mom!

• Kitty says:

Ron. Please answer that question from Renea. DON’T spread propaganda. That is a ridiculous settlement. Do u think I was born yesterday?

• Bejah Blue says:

Kitty, I am not understanding you…am my becomming dense?

Bejah 🙂

• Kitty says:

Bejah. Are u kidding me.. Also when I stated I was in the OR for erosion and you questioned what that was . Mesh eroded thru vagina. Also. Please read”MESH OWNERS HANDBOOK” for other complications of mesh. PELVIC MESH MAY AFFECT MUSCULO-SKELATAL.

• Bejah Blue says:

Kitty, I did not think I questioned what erosion was, I do know what it is, of course. I did not mean to upset you, very sorry. B

• bejahblue says:

Now I am confused. Ron says his mom was offered how much…what is $1000,000? Is that a million or does he mean $100,000.00 or something else?

PS…Jane, I now have to enter name and email each time I post…there is no default. What shall I do to fix this. Thx.

Bejah

Bejah- my understanding is you always had to enter name and email…. please let me know what has changed… thank you. I will ask Ron.

• Bejah Blue says:

Jane, My name and email used to be default but now there are two names to choose from. Perhaps if there were just the pseudoname…thx

Bejah

Ron- are you saying $1,000? Please clarify… thank you and I”m sorry…. hardly seems worth a signature and silence.

• R says:

Jane I’m sorry about the confusion. It’s a 100,000. settlement offer. I’m sorry it took so long to respond

• Bejah Blue says:

Ron, Well thank God it is not less than that but that is unacceptable, easy for me to say, right? Thanks for sharing that. We can not fight this if we do not share data. Praying for you and your family. Bejah

2. Dy says:

Jane, maybe I should not be asking,but it seems that even though I signed and I know that it is too late for me to get any justice,I still would like to see J&J be put where they should be put and put all their money,stocks,and/or assets to us who are still suffering and will always continue to suffer. My question is, what should my attorney have done to get punitive damages. Seems that all of us who signed and are in the class action settlements are not having any.How do they get away with not even trying?
    DY

• bejahblue says:

How many are in class action suits and how does that compare with the suits the rest of us are in?

Bejah

You can go to your elected representatives, your senators and Representatives and tell them what is transpiring. Try to get them knowledgeable. Go to the AG’s office and let them know how much tax $ is being spent on mesh injuries. Tell your insurance company it is overpaying for an experimental procedure and needs to reassess….I will post talking points to use…

Settlements do not compensate you with punitive damages,,, nor for loss of consortium, loss of job and house, a settlement is a set amount that you agree to or not. It doesn’t make sense to base it on revision surgeries……since so much is lost when mesh goes wrong.

• Bejah Blue says:

The nice lady I go to church with said she did not understand the $400 Million award in the talc case. She felt it was too much. She did not understand how all of this works and I think that is part of the problem when we think of the pereception of the “general public” and those outside of our community. She was clearly changing her perception as we discussed these cases. Clearly we need to educate the public. JnJ and corporate America has a strong vested interest in keeping America “Barefoot and pregnant”! The question is…how can this education be done. The media is just about useless it seems. People do not want to read, they want to be spoon fed their news and there is a price for that. Ignorance may appear to be bliss but in truth it is not. Let us never say “I don’t want to know, I don’t need to know”. We do need to know if for no other reason than to save ourselves from what happened to us, what continues to happen all around us, what is happening to the world. Sorry if this sounds a bit disjointed…I am hurting too much.

Bejah

The nice lady should feel confident that a gathering of strangers listened to the evidence and came to a conclusion that they didn’t like the behavior of that company. That’s the way it’s supposed to work. J&J has perfectly fine lawyers who do their part, but their arguments appear shallow when the evidence is presented. Yet, the J&J lawyers report to the upper executives that they should continue with these cases in a blatant conflict of interest. When are the bean counters going to wake up and say “SETTLE” these cases? How much more do they have to lose before juries? I guess we will see…. my opinion only.

• Bejah Blue says:

Bravo Jane, thanks for that.

• Bejah Blue says:

I expect they do not give a damn about juries so long as they can appeal. I wonder statistically how many appeals they eventually lose…do they eventually have to pay the award in many/most cases and if the plaintiff passes away during the (lengthly) appeals process then does the amount they must pay get cut in half even post award? How many appeals are allowed or is there no cap for corporations? Can they play games with legal venue post judgement so that appeals are heard in a diff. court, one that they favor? I am absolutely convinced that the legal system favors business over the individual which is curious for a nation that celebrates the individual and their inalienable rights, at least in print. It is a long dark road…

3. Bejah Blue says:

Hey JnJ…”Say what you mean, mean what you say and don’t use big words”. Or perhaps this would be more applicable to these manufacturers who knowingly produced damaging devices out of material that was clearly identified as a substance that was toxic to the human body and should never be used in such applications…”Say what they (we) want to hear then do what you want to do”. I wonder how much they budgeted for covering claims they knew would be coming. This is nothing new, it is standard ops procedure for many corporations….consider auto mfg’s who knowingly produced automobiles with faulty components and calculated that they would still make a lot of money even after settling wrongful death lawsuits. Why are we surprised? Why did we not do our own research, esp. about something that was to be implanted in our bodies? We should have known I guess, but we have the right to presume manufacturer’s would not knowingly create something that would harm us simply because of the profit potential and we are just beginning to see the baby boomers move into the age where they are potential victim-consumers, mostly women. Can we save those who come after us? If nothing else use word of mouth…tell everyone. I do. Do something…even one thing, even something small. I was on the phone with PBS the other day, and I told the woman I was talking to. She said she was going to tell all the women she worked with. This is something all of us can do. Speak up, speak out.

4. Mark says:

Isn’t there anything we can do about these ridiculous settlements? That we are being forced to take. People have been writing to the judge and he could give a rats behind

• Insulted says:

Please be aware you are not forced to take these settlements. Please think before you sign… If everyone would come together and DO NOT SIGN these settlements. Stand up to J&J proving they are 100% Guilty. It’s a crying shame that after waiting all these years they try to throw pennies at us. You have your rights and you deserve your day in court. DO NOT SIGN these settlements hold out for what is yours. It’s better than giving 40% to your Lawyers. I guarantee you they will receive a lot more money they you will in the end. So sad!

• bejahblue says:

Insulted….and what should the women do who were told by the attorneys representing them that they better settle or they will be dropped. That sounds like a threat to me, and one that is not very veiled either. What would you have those people do? Can they fire their attorneys at this juncture and sue them for failure to protect and defend them? Can people do this? I think advice is needed for them, esp. for those who have lost their jobs, lost their husbands, lost their homes. Who will help them? Who will advise them? We have Willie Nelson and others organizing Farm Aid and other benefit concerts…why does no one organize “Mesh Aid” events? Is it too horrible or does no one care? These victims are our mothers, our sisters, our friends, our family, our wives, our children…Americans. We do not care about our own people? Is it because the topic is not sexy enough, or too controversial, too dangerous? Will someone please tell me, tell us? Why, why will you all not take a stand, not do or say anything to help us?

Bejah

Bejah- a few years ago, a consumer organization asked Mesh News Desk to help it organize. We got people to show up at the J&J shareholders meeting and people filing off the buses saw our signs. We have two people speak inside. We gained the attention of attorneys general offices around the country and back the California AG, KY AG lawsuits against J&J It was very effective. Some dissenters within the mesh community tried to shut down the campaigning for some strange reason. Mesh makes for some strange bedfellows and for some, there seems to be long-term mental issues that accompany mesh injury. Probably they were there before. All of this is to say that, like the Essure women, small groups can make a change …Personally I think the AG office strategy was a good one because it brought the issue to the forefront. I also believe locally, you can organize with mesh injured to lobby your representatives to pay attention and call for a Congressional hearing!

• Insulted says:

You have to stand up for what you feel is right. Your Lawyers cannot make you sign. My mother was advised by her attorney to take the settlement. They told her it could take years to settle. Well you know what if we have to wait, that is just fine but my mother doesn’t have years to wait. I really feel bad because she have been through so many surgeries and will have more surgeries to come. For approximately ten years now she has been in pain. Fortunately she has a large family to help her but it is so sad my mother can no longer travel or enjoy life like she should be doing. She has children, grandchildren and great children who love her dearly but she stays in constant pain. My parents are only getting older. My dad is in his 80’s and he now cleans, cooks, etc. and does everything my mom would have normally taken care of. It is so unfair of J&J to prolong this. Please think before you sign, honestly what do we have to lose with offers like this. If enough people would pull together and fight these settlements just maybe we will get our day in court.

• Bejah Blue says:

Wow! Thanks Jane. One wonders if such people were paid off or challenged at the very least or did they remain unidentified. I would certainly like to fish them out, call them out. Surely it is true that there are individuals who suffer mental illness whose reality becomes so distorted that just about anything is possible, and there are undoubtedly those who engage in pretense in order to arrange some sort of payday for themselves. The larger the issue the more likely it is that such individuals will attempt to attach themselves in some way, and this includes bottom of the barrel attorneys as well. One naturally asks, do we not have enough to deal with without this? There is also the phenom of blaming the victim, etc. Anyway thanks for reminding us of this putrid little probability.

• Kitty says:

Most people don’t really care about anything that doesn’t concern them. IT IS Amazing Jane has stuck with us as long as she has. Your thank u letter to me several years ago for the small donation i gave u PULLED at my heartstrings tonite Jane. We were run thru the mesh mill and left to f end for ourselves. Carrots anyone?

Thank you Kitty. I often wonder myself as this is not sustainable, despite what some people say …. Thanks again.

• Bejah Blue says:

I agree. Everything has a time and season. I have still not arranged for the recurring payments to Jane that I promised…I had a problem with bill-pay and duplicate payments but with the help of Chase that is sorted out now so I will be able to add Jane beginning in Oct. at long last. I guess we just go on until it is time for some alteration in our trajectory. No carrots for me Kitty, I am reverting to carnivorous fueling!

• Bejah Blue says:

I may have already said this…(I keep visualizing bits of mesh wrapped around my neurons and dendrites…clogging up my synapse functioning; mesh brain!). Why can we not fire the attorney who demands we accept low ball settlement, turn around and sue them for failure to represent us appropriately, and enter into an agreement with someone else to represent us? Also I pray the women (and men) in this position will file complaints against these attorneys/law firms with the appropriate authorities. Also now there are (Thanks to INET) sites online where one can register complaints. Sadly most people cry out but never take action and file a complaint.

5. Kitty says:

Ron. Do u mean 100 thousand or 1 thousand??

6. KAYE says:

My claim is from2012. With all my problems I’ve been offered 4000.00. What to Do?

Is that before or after expenses and legal fees are subtracted. Not much left afterward…..it sort of depends on your need and the amount of injury you’ve suffered. I’m sorry.

• Bejah Blue says:

That is shameful. Tell us what law firm represents you if you can. We want to know what pond scum has put you in this position. Also please tell us what implant you have, who mfg.is and when implant was done. Every time I write or read the word implant I think of aliens and Mulder and “Trust no one”! Ha!

• Barbara says:

Kaye, Only you can decide, of course but if this is before anyone else takes part you would be left with next to nothing and in that case you may find it is a more powerful choice to refuse. Search your heart, make pro and con lists, sleep on it, all of that…they think you will take whatever they offer. It may be a little like real estate…when you accept a low ball offer for your house it effects all of your neighbors..does this analogy work at all? Jesus used analogy to help others understand and maybe to help himself work through problems. Maybe that will help you in this process. We love you no matter what.

7. Renea says:

I got a letter from my attorney saying they would be sending an offer soon. Jane can you give me an idea of what a fair settlement is. I have had 4 surgeries. The first one was the implant surgery
    and then 3 revision surgeries to completely remove the implant. I wish Ron would respond and clarify how much his mom was offe ed and what her injuries were. Thanks Jane!

It sort of depends on which company and which law firm. Some are fighting harder for their clients and others are taking the first offer, it seems. If you have had three revision surgeries….that would put you in an upper tier, presumably. Whatever the offer, expect the law firm to take a portion 33.3% to 40% AND to add on expenses, a 5% common benefit fund contribution to be made by you, and whatever else they can uncover that you might owe someone. Expect half of the initial offer generally. I’m not a lawyer so anyone wants to chime in please do so. Have your law firm contribute to the 5% common benefit fund, and if you can, negotiate a 30% to the law firm if they did not work you up for trial. Settlement does not merit 40% in my opinion as a non lawyer. Lawyers, please tell me why I’m wrong…..

• Emmie says:

Jane:
        I had two removals
        One was over 7 hours in OR. The doctor did my removal in one surgery because I traveled across country.

Would this count as more than one surgery?
        How many hours is normal for mesh removal surgery?
        I had 3 mesh…Prolift, TVT-O and TVT- S. Not all the arms in my groin were removed. My doctor said it was to dangerous to attemp.

Hi Emmie-

I’m so sorry you had three meshes. Do you have a law firm? I certainly hope so. I’m not a lawyer so that is a good question for the person representing you ….the person representing you should certainly make that argument, especially since you have three meshes! I would say you would be in the highest tier of injury if you quality…

• Bejah Blue says:

Again, let us look to the legal definition of “revision” and go from there. There seems a powerful argument that in this case there were really two surgeries. Perhaps the surgeon would write a letter to that effect in support of our sisters position. Too bad greed rather than logic rules the world. One would think that especially in the law, logic would be a cornerstone but we have seen repeatedly that it is not. Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

God, what a nightmare. Father in Heaven hear our cries, help us! Dear Emmie, to speak of such horror this way, to need to do this…it is unconscionable that our nation would allow us to be treated this way. Will no one help us? I promise, those of you who stand by and do nothing…here but for fortune go you…and you may have your day in HELL as well. What is it that is said when good people do nothing?

• Bejah Blue says:

You should get the following per my rule book:
      $50k per surgery (x4)
      $1,000,000.00 for medical care for the rest of your life
      $1,000,000.00 for pain and suffering
      $500,000.00 for loss of happiness, innocence, and well being
      $500,000.00 if you lost your job due to this
      $500,000. if you lost your husband due to this,
      $5,000,00 if you lost your mind due to this…
      and they should either pay off your mortgage or buy you a house, whichever is greater. So there!

Bejah (GOD that felt good)

8. Anon says:

Jane……..What does JJ Ethicon mean by “sustainability”?

Good Question because their current business model is not … I think that means they have an upward trending business that can manage any bumps in the road. NOT!!

• Bejah Blue says:

Anon, Should we ask you what the context is or should we just know? Perhaps it is understood…

• Anon says:

BB
        My comment is…………..This continued negative exposure is hurting this pharmaceutical giant more than they know. This comment is based solely on my personal situation. I have harsh negative feelings about a company that would purposefully market products that they know without a doubt will harm its consumers. JJ Ethicon had scientific evidence that their products were harmful yet they unlawfully, willfully with malice market these harmful toxic products (for financial gain). The consumers health were/are in no way considered. Anyway……once I got over the shame of my situation…. I began sharing my (plight) or dangerous, difficult situation with friends and family. I have noticed that JJ has taken the name off some of their products, the name is not as notable or prominent as before example: floss, a friend and I compared a newer box of JJ floss to an older box of the same product marketed by Johnson and Johnson, the JJ logo is missing on the front of the newer box.
        My friend refuses to purchase anything JJ. At this point…I think It’s safe to say that the 100,000 plus of US feel the same.

Interesting observation Anon…….thanks for sharing it.

• Barbara B says:

I noticed this as well and in the case of one product they are using just an initial and the surname “Johnson” and as you have said this does suggest their brand is being impacted. If only all of us understood how powerful word of mouth it and what a meaningful impact it can have along with refusal to buy any of their products. I noticed that my dentist uses Listerine and I asked them to change to a different product. So far they have not but every time I go in I ask again and speak of our suffering and how powerful the tide against them is becomming. Good work sister. Thanks. Bejah

9. Bent Out of Shape says:

Silence is Golden? Bad Advice, perhaps?

10. Pat says:

Last 2 motions recently listed in Judge Goodwin’s court for MDL 2327,sets timeline for 150 cases to go to trial at one time next May and rejects extension of discovery time.Just a heads up since it has been a long time since anything had been put on docket and actions are now being taken again

11. Bejah Blue says:

OK, thanks…what does denial of extension of Discovery mean for us? Does that apply equally to both sides? What does it mean? Is it open to interpretation?

12. Anonymous says:

I read that they want the PA cases moved to NJ. What this all means I have no idea…

Judge Probes Ethicon’s Pa. Connections in Pelvic Mesh Mass Tort | The Legal Intelligencer

• Anon says:

What this means is….JJ Ethicon is getting slammed in the Court of Common Pleas in PA, especially at the hands of the law firm Kline & Specter. The jury of our peers in Philadelphia have peeped JJ’s game. Johnson and Johnson will more than likely lose in this arena.

13. Caroline says:

I have a case against Coloplast – signed acceptance of offer back in Dec 2016. I don’t know what is happening at this point – letter from my attorney said they expect to pay out in 2017 – now they are not returning phone calls or answering emails and I have no clue when I might possibly get the $$. It is very frustrating

I supposed a certified letter is next demanding an update!

• Bejah Blue says:

It is VERY wrong for you to have these communication problems with the firm representing you. I trust you researched them well first and got proposals from a couple of different law firms before deciding which to go with. If you did not, and if you did not vet this firm first, and finally if this problem continues maybe you should consider dropping them with cause and going to another firm. This behavior on their part is NOT a good sign. Take care sister, Bejah

14. Caroline says:

I read something on the MDL 2387 site indicating that a fee committee has been established. Not sure what all of it means -I assume all the attorneys have to submit client fees for approval by the FCC before they can start issuing payments. 🙁

15. Caroline says:

Thank you for that information. I’m assuming all the attorneys have to get their charges reviewed and paid before any mesh plaintiffs are actually paid.

Plaintiffs are being asked to just pay “expenses” without them being itemized. Do you shop that way? Don’t you want to know what you are paying for and how much? I don’t go to a store, give them my credit card and say “charge me what you think it’s worth…” Get itemized expenses!

• Anon says:

This true………I paid BBGA 6,000 plus for unexplained expenses their attorneys had no explanation for.

• Bejah Blue says:

Absolutely Jane, Thanks for bringing this up. This is not like going on travel for business where you only need to itemize if expenses are over a certain dollar amount. This is the arena of the law and a very sensitive area. Do not let them get away with this. I certainly hope it is not legal for them to get away with this.

Bejah

PS This may be another thing we should ask to be included in any contract with counsel….that we want all expenses itemized.

• Caroline says:

That makes a lot of sense – helps to keep the attorneys from charging us for things like responding to emails, etc. I just don’t like the silence. The last order I see in the MDL is from 8/14. Hopefully they will start releasing some of the funds soon.

16. Linda says:

I have attorneys in Texas which district would they file in? I haven’t been able to find my name.

17. Kristy says:

Jane, do you know how long it’s takers once Boston scientific agrees to settle? I got my letter that they’ve agreed to settle but expect a delay in a amount.

I just can’t tell you. I’m not in that loop, am not an attorney, and these negotiations and settlements are top secret. Best to find a friendly and knowledgeable person inside your law firm……

18. Pat says:

Jane,check out Sept 27 docket for MDL in W.Va ( Judge Goodwin’s).Looks like he is not allowing attempts to delay trial dates.

19. Ann says:

Dear Jane,
    Once again look to you for some guidance here in this very awful legal litigation process…
    Recently, not having any clarity as to when or if I will get a settlement offer letter that i’ve been promised many times in the past months…i find in checking ‘Public Access’ on the http://www.nj.gov
    web address that my docket number bears another ladies name, not mine..called my law office…potts law mesh
    litigation and was told not to worry about it…and also, when i asked for
    any updates in the closure of my last phase of this nightmare case, was told that Ethicon hasn’t signed it…
    How is my tvt mesh case in the closing phases if Ethicon still has to sign…
    If possible enlighten me, to any avenues i can take to get to the bottom of this.
    I know how busy you are but any reply will be greatly appreciated
    sincerely with hope
    ann

I’m so sorry Ann, but I take that to mean they are in the middle of negotiations. No idea why your docket would have another woman’s name. Do you have documents from your court case with that case number? Did Potts law firm file your case? In some cases they saved the $400 filing fee and never filed even a short form. Confirm your case number with them and with all of your documents to make sure that is right…

• Anna says:

I am following up on why a different name shows up with my docket number.
        My name and docket number is on my case list, so, guess this is what is most important…
        You are well loved for your guidance
        thanks againn
        Anna

Please let us know… I did once see a docket entry filed under the wrong name. But that is very unusual……..