September Brings Mesh Trials – Finally

judge mallet 200Welcome to Mesh News Desk/ Mesh Medical Device News Desk!

When it rains it pours.  This week there were THREE pelvic mesh trials all at the same time!

Forget the fact that we have waited for many months to have any litigation…. then they come all at once.  Thanks goes out to Courtroom View Network, in my “spare time”  I got to see a little of the proceedings in the Cardenas v. Boston Scientific case which BS won.  Meanwhile our Ethicon case (Huskey v. Ethicon) here in Charleston, WV takes a three day break over the labor day holiday as both sides stay in town to prepare for the defense case.d9 ethicon a j & j company  200

TVT-O from TVT Meshed Up Mesh, UK

TVT-O from TVT Meshed Up Mesh, UK

What the jurors don’t know is that the TVT-O, the medical device in the Huskey trial,  was already found defective by a jury in Dallas earlier this year!

While the U.S. system of justice is considered the best in the world, it leaves a lot out of the mix.  What the jurors cannot hear is a longer list than what they can, the above just one item. Let’s not forget that the jurors cannot hear there are, as of Friday, 66,861 cases filed in this ONE COURT where they have been consolidated as part of multidistrict litigation!  There are 21,754 naming Ethicon/J&J alone!  It is the largest manufacturer with the most cases.  J&J vows it will fight these in court.

On other matters this month: I’ve taken some cynical criticism for allegedly profiting from these cases, trials, outcomes, any association with lawyers who specialize in this area, with lending companies, space aliens, and who know who else. I am never above honest criticism but please know there is no truth to those accusations whatsoever!  There is no profit incentive here for me in my effort to report this story any more than any journalist profits for the reporting he/she does.  At the end of the day, my goal—and my reward—is simply to tell the stories of mesh injuries, the FDA’s frequently apparent indifference, and the various cases of litigation and what mesh makers knew of the potential and documented risks in their march toward maximum profits. Sit in one of these trials and you will see how little you actually know. Speculation is fed by ignorance.

Having said that, honest reporting deserves some compensation.  I’m always looking for supporters/ sponsors/ advertisers / donors to keep Mesh News Desk doors opened so I can keep reporting.  You can contact me at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com. Let’s find creative ways to have MND work for you!

And with regard to criticism that I profit from gathering and then spreading your contact information or anything you write directly to me: As I say in the About Us page –personal e-mail content written to me is not shared.  Ever.  I promise.  Anyone who knows me, knows I will ask if someone wants to connect with someone else. My partnership as a spokesperson with Corporate Action Network taps my experience in mesh injuries exactly the same way that major news organizations hire experts as consultants to give their unique perspectives on those issues.  My association provides me and by extension all of us with the resources and expertise to reach a far wider readership and the online savvy to launch more-effective campaigns. We Are Mesh Survivors is following this trial and will cover others!  CAN just won an award for its technology of grass roots organizing. We are all fortunate to be associated with them.   At the end of the day it is the people whose voices and stories are shared through the Internet, who make things happen, as we learn time and again.  Such people are the only thing that ever has brought meaningful change.

Fall leaves

Fall leaves

Enjoy your September and your fall season, wherever you live!

1. stopmeshimplants says:

Thank you, Jane.

2. sandy says:

I know Jame has never shared my information unless I ask her to in fact I have to send her a request to get somebody else’s phone number or email address as she’s always respected each party for anyone to say any different I would have to take objection to without Jane keeping me informed about what was going on I would be left in the dark. people that want to criticize you an just go to a special place if you know what I mean I know that in relations with you you’ve always been upfront honest and direct and I appreciate everything you’ve done keep up the good work and as soon as I can I will help to give you some contributions to because without you I would know nothing I love you Jane take care and ignore stupid people

3. sandy says:

Sorry Jane it should be Jane not James when I speak into my phone sometimes because of the pain meds my speech is slurred so it doesn’t catch all the words laying here in my bed in pain all I can do is pray that this new trial goes in favor of the victims it makes me mad and want to cry that all of the information will never get out and because of that we will Lose our lives. none of us will ever get what we deserve except for people like Linda couple of the Linda’s the rest of us will never be compensated for what we deserve what we’ve lost: I hate a AMS I hate J&J I hate anybody that would lie and try to get out of paying somebody after they’ve hurt him I try to be a Christian person but I hope they all go to hell the least I could do is say we’re sorry we messed up what do we need to pay you to make it right then people can respect them then they would have integrity in the United States the only thing that makes people listen or do bad things or destroy people’s lives is money that’s all they care about is money the fancy houses the fancy boats their fancy vacations while we lay in bed and suffer that’s why I can say without any restrictions I hope the people that do this and defend these companies go straight to hell I am tired of pain doctors lawyers hopelessness. But Jane at least you have given me friends to lean on some days but most days anymore leave me with no hope and a marriage that is being destroyed thank you AND for destroying my life and only giving me pain and despair in return. When I am gone my obit will read that I died as a result of a AMS mesh implant!!!

4. Jane Dowdall says:

No need to defend your integrity Jane. 99.9999% of us support you, know your value, and are appreciative of all that you have and are doing for the mesh cause. Keep up the good work and again ….. THANKS!

5. sandy says:

Thank you AMS —STUPID SPELL CHECK!!!

6. Kitty says:

Why can’t we all get along? A house divided falls. Jane has to do what she has to do and I believe she has integrity.

7. Linda Romero says:

PROFIT

Who really profits? The doctors putting it in, The company making the products. The hospitals where the surgeries are done. The doctors removing it so women can have some type of continued existence, although we all know that is wide continuum because the damage is permanent. The hospitals where removals are done. The airlines and hotels because we have to travel. We can’t travel alone so there is added expenses. The pharmaceutical companies due to all the medications we require on a regular basis. The hospitals due to our frequent ER visit. The small clinics we visit for occupational therapy, physical therapy, acupuncture, none of which really help but we all have eternal hope something will relieve the pain. We hear from other women what they have tried that does not help, yet we do anyway because in some sense we have to believe individually we are different so just maybe an alternative treatment will make a difference. Oh and of course the defense attorneys who represent the makers. They definitely profit! WHO CONTINUES TO SUFFER? The patients that have the implant, who are broke, unable to work, lost spouses(can’t blame them for leaving as we have little if anything to offer),and our children because we can’t engage in life. The insurance companies continue to loose because our need for care NEVER CEASES. Our government continues to loose as we are destitute on will rely on them for health care, financial subsidy, and eventually I am sure at a young age we will require nursing home care because we won’t be able to walk, bathe or care for ourselves. We can’t expect our loved ones to abandon their families or careers to provide care. LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, the women that have not yet been approached and assaulted with the gold standard. They can still be protected. Yet we are limited in our freedom of speech. We are gagged with an inability to communicate openly. The reality is if there is a profit to be made Jane, Go after it! At least your commitment is to helping the injured, educating the public and attempting to save the future victims of THE GOLD STANDARD. If I were in charge of the bank role I would advocate that it be spent on prevention. It is obvious the victims are not seeing the profits, even if a case is won! Appeals are tying things up and our medical expenses and survival needs don’t stop. Lets be realistic here, victims will never see a profit here. For the victims this is a no win situation! This is a never ending battle, one step forward and five steps back. Jane, in good faith please continue you work. The hope lies in protecting the women that have not been victimized. Go forth and advocate because we are worn out and suffering. You are our only hope of protecting our species from the atrocities that continue to be so widely accepted as the gold standard.

Hi Linda thank you….If I was a different person, this might have become a legal referral service or case generation. That is basically what Erin Brockovich does, talks publicly and gathers cases for her associated law firm. Nothing wrong with that if you tell people that’s what you are doing and HEY you get the bills paid!!.

8. Valerie says:

Thank you for you continued coverage and hard work!

9. DEBORAH says:

HI,

I HAVE BEEN WAITING 4 YRS. NOW, ETHICON IS THE BRAND THAT HAS RUINED MY LIFE.

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US INFORMED.

WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE!

10. Jan Urban says:

Jane, Never and I say NEVER have you not asked my permission to share information about me. I have saved every correspondence that we have had. You and many others at the Mesh Medical Device News Desk has provided in depth reporting on Mesh and the suffering to thousands of women. Thank you. It is really hard for me to get a handle on the medical community and the watch agencies who should be protecting us from this Device. So many investigations going on. Already they are investigating Joan River’s Death. RIP. Where is the investigation against these Mesh Medical Devices which has ruin thousands upon thousands of women’s health. Why are all these trial verdicts going to the manufacturers? What are these Attorney’s doing wrong in filing are complaints to let this happen, when so many of us need there help so no other women have to suffer?

11. Malissa says:

I just spoke with my law firm in Florida about the proposed AMS settlement. Apparently without my knowledge they joined in with Motley Rice and are working on processing my settlement. I am livid and disappointed in this news. I am going to say no to the settlement but I am not aware of what my options are after that. Anybody have any input?

Law firms are , in my opinion, not handling their negotiations with their clients very well in seeking you to sign these settlements.

12. Anna Cantu says:

Is there any recourse for us if we choose not to agree to the paltry amount they are offering? Will anyone else take our case? Are they putting statutes of limitations on this? I am continually getting worse every day and finally took medical leave from work. I am in so much pain on my right side only so something is definitely going wrong there! I need to get this stuff out!