Saskatchewan Protest Over Mesh

//Saskatchewan Protest Over Mesh

Saskatchewan Protest Over Mesh

CBC protestersMay 11, 2013 ~ A group gathered outside a Saskatoon City Hospital Saturday to bring awareness to the dangers of polypropylene surgical mesh. Synthetic mesh is often used as a first-line treatment for incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse (POP) however the women who have had the treatment want to warn others away from that option.

“It’s like a vice grip clamping onto my stomach with, like, razor blades on it said Marika English to CBC News (here).

English has paid $30,000 to travel to UCLA’s urology department to have the mesh removed. The world renowned facility is one of the few in the world with success in the complete removal of synthetic surgical mesh. Canada has options for partial mesh removals so women have petitioned their provincial government to have it pay the thousands necessary to remove the implants in the U.S.  Mesh is designed to be a permanent medical device.

Stephanie Brad, who was also at the Saskatoon hospital, also plans to spend whatever it takes to have her mesh removed. She says she can’t walk, sit or do much with her kids because she is in so much pain.

Both English and Brad want the provincial government to at the very least warn women about the procedure. They would prefer to have it removed from the market.

Estimates are up one-third of mesh implants may eventually result in complications such as mesh erosion, pain, nerve damage, infection and migration.

Thousands of Canadians whose problems are being dismissed and ignored have created the website here. Supporters are asked to sign a petition.  and ask them to sign the petition there.

By | 2013-05-12T23:43:56+00:00 May 12th, 2013|Media Reports|6 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. teresa hughes May 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Good on you all for getting out there and doing your best to highlight this global issue.

2. Kathy May 14, 2013 at 8:49 am - Reply

I would bet a complication rate is much higher …. one -third sounds low to me. Many women just do not understand why they are having pain. For years I blamed mine on exercise injury, PMS, getting older, Menopause and after Menpause it ALL became so much worse that I finally started to search for answers. Looking back, it all began after the mesh was implanted into me. The stress from it all has made me a different person.

All because I had a wee bit of leakage. A Poise pad would have solved the problem.

3. teresa hughes May 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Surgeons have been telling us we are rare we are unique and also the pain we have is all in our heads.

How wrong we have proved them all. I hope and pray that you ladies can do something about getting mesh removal by the right person with the expertise.

I hope that the Canadian government do justice by you all and allow you to travel out of the area to get the best expert for full removal of this barbaric mesh device.

• Kathy May 17, 2013 at 8:35 am - Reply

Teresa, I live in the USA and still am not able to get to the only doctor that I would trust to remove my mesh. Between my doctors and insurance they will not ok it and I am not able to self pay. Between flights, surgery, lodging, second and third trips I would bet in is in the $50,000 range. The other problem is the communication between all these people is in itself a difficult process. I am sad that in this great country we are left to solve our own medical mess after being injured and I for one just have not been able to move forward …. Only more confusion.

• teresa hughes May 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Kathy

I am so sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have also in the USA. In England also it is a fight to get out of area referrals. Never mind out of states or countries.

The communication is such a difficult one also as you mention but it should be so easy with all this technology around but that does not work either.

We face a long road to go down to find the right treatment while we are so ill and in such pain that in itself is difficult enough without the lack of help and concern.

Keep in touch and I wish you well in your journey to get to the right person. This mesh is barbaric and should be banned instead it has reduced our quality of life.

Take care Teresa

One would think that in this day and age the governments would not behave like we are living in third world countries.

4. Barbara Vance May 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Go ladies! This is a world wide issue! We cannot stop raising our voices until we get the attention of the doctors, insurance companies and the manufactures. We must make sure this doesn’t happen to our daughters or granddaughters.

Keep up the good work!