Latest Trial – Plaintiffs Awarded $18.5 Million in Boston Scientific Mesh Sling Trial

bs logoBoston Scientific has suffered its latest in a series of losses in product liability cases involving its pelvic meshes.

Thursday afternoon, a West Virginia jury determined each of the four plaintiff cases, consolidated in this federal court, should receive $1 million in punitive damages in their case against Boston Scientific in additional to compensatory damages totaling $18.5 million in this latest litigation over the company’s implantable pelvic mesh.

In this case, all four women were implanted with the Obtryx mesh, a mid-urethral sling used to treat incontinence. This case was the second federal case in multidistrict litigation filed over Boston Scientific’s pelvic mesh and the third case since September in which plaintiffs were awarded damages.

The compensatory and punitive damages damages in the case are:

Campbell – $3.25 million plus $1 million in punitive damages

Wilson – $3.75 million plus $1 million in punitive damages

Tyree  – $3.25 million plus $1 million in punitive damages

Blankenship – $4.25 million plus $1 million in punitive damages

*New – The jurors decided in each case the Obtryx was defectively designed, the instructions to physicians were insufficient and that the company was negligent in its manufacture and design of the Obtryx. Each of those failures led to the injuries of the four plaintiffs, the jury decided.

The jury decided a relatively modest $1 million in punitive damages should be awarded to each woman. Charleston, West Virginia attorney Harry Bell tells Mesh News Desk that this amount shows how reasonable WV juries are.

harry bell“If it had been a big number, it could be written off as a crazy jury decision. We are not used to big numbers here but they still found punitive damages. This  amount should be a wake-up call to Boston Scientific in this relatively conservative venue. The numbers are adding up.”

Last week, a nine-person jury in Miami delivered $26.7 million in compensatory damages to four women who were implanted with the Pinnacle Pelvic Mesh Repair Kit, a Boston Scientific product that has since been recalled from the market.  There were no punitive awards in that case and the Pinnacle was found to be defectively designed and the company negligent in bringing it to market.

Mesh News Desk has requested a comment from Boston Scientific but received no reply from the communications department.

The Obtryx II, an updated version of the Obtryx, remains on the market today. It is a polypropylene mesh strip fitted under the urethra to treat stress urinary incontinence.Obtryx II

This case  – Tyree v Boston Scientific (2:12-cv-08633) – was heard before U.S. District Judge Irene Berger.  More than 67,000 cases against seven mesh manufacturers have been consolidated in that federal court in West Virginia.

Last September in Martha Salazar v. Boston Scientific, Salazar was awarded $73 million by the jury and the Obtryx was found to be defective in its design. That jury award included $50 million in punitive damages. It was later reduced to $34 million due to state caps.  The Miami jury did not award punitive damages but found the Pinnacle Pelvic Mesh Repair kit was also defectively designed and the company was negligent.

Boston Scientific, a Massachusetts-based company is facing 23,000 defective product lawsuits over its family of pelvic mesh products, some of which have been quietly removed from the market. #

Learn More:

Chris Wilson- Jury  verdict form

Jacquelyn Tyree – Jury  verdict form

Carol Campbell – Jury  verdict form

Jeanie Blankenship – Jury  verdict form

Jury instructions in Tyree case (lead case) 2:12-cv-08633

Boston Scientific Feeling Heat from Series of Losses, Reuters, November 21, 2014

1. mary l. says:

2. Mary Pat says:

Take heed AMS! Time to increase your settlement offer or you will be facing the same verdicts in court.

3. sandy says:

Amen Mary Pat I just want to cry I read this and I say finally finally somebody is hearing us somebody is listening and they’re not believing the lies are told they’re saying the truth thank you to the jury who made this decision bless you all

4. Michelle says:

The fact that they are STILL selling this device tells you just how much money they are making. They already know they will end up paying hundreds of millions in settlements…and they STILL will make a good profit. B.S. Could not care less about the women whose lives they are destroying!

5. stopmeshimplants says:

Another step in the right direction of justice for all of us. Keep em’ coming! Every trial will prove how wrong this mesh mess is and how we have been destroyed by these products. I am so happy that punitive damages have been awarded. Thank you for sharing this next little piece of hope, Jane.

6. Kitty says:

I hope the ladies will not have to wait too long to get their money to help with future surgeries and to buy equipment to care for themselves.

7. msm says:

Watch AMS scramble to hurry and finish settlements with as many as they can. The number who will agree to settle is dropping with each and every award in these trials.

8. justme says:

9. Tambrea Holden says:

has any one settled with AMS? My attorneys are not talking and it seems to me they are bothered that I try to contact they for information. They also say they don’t know when bellweater trials are? Really?

If AMS has offered settlements it might cover many in the MDL…. that is somewhat unclear whether it is JUST for those law firms clients or for everyone! They are being paid to answer your questions…. will they be annoyed when you pay them 40%?

• Deb says:

Tambrea-

I too have had trouble getting my attorney’s office to answer my questions. They told me that they don’t have to file because they just input my information directly into AMS website! What this means I don’t know. I had the implant of the sling and transvaginal mesh for perineum repair. I had the removal done 8 weeks ago…got discharged five days later, ended up in the hospital five days later with a infection, there for six more days…..I don’t know what to do!

Your case is not filed? That’s an interesting approach… you might consult with another attorney to see if that is recommended…… that means they have no intention of trying your trial and it means your statute of limitations is ticking… It would seem you should have your case number and know it has been filed so the manufacturers know you are serious…. non lawyer opinion only!

• msm says:

Check and make sure your case isn’t listed. There are new cases filed every day. Maybe they are trying to avoid filing fees to cut their losses if your case doesn’t look like it will qualify for the current settlement and they don’t plan to take it to trial. This isn’t a class action. Only individual cases are considered. Jane is so right. Consult with another attorney especially if your contract says they will file your case and take it to trial. Good luck.

10. Jane R. says:

Gee, what shall I tell my doctor when she says the Obtryx mesh couldn’t cause the problems I have.

Jane will there be a way to find out what the complications are for each woman?

And thank you once again.

11. Mitzi Pohl says:

Any news of the San Antonio trial against Ethicon/Gynecare?

12. tammy says:

I went to the doctor yesterday and he looks at me and says see in six mouths & for me to ask my Family doctor to have my colon checked I’m so confused I don’t know who to turn to any more .. I hurt all the time I just need help ..

Tammy- First, gather all of your medical records including operative notes. They belong to you and you need to know what you are dealing with. What area of the country are you and do you have insurance? There may be help and patient advocates who you can connect with but we need those answers…. thank you.

13. Sandy says:

I am a mesh victum and I want to make one thing clear AMS has not settled. I read that and it upsets me. What has happened is AMS and a bunch of attorneys got together and thought they could come to an agreement and they can not. We deserve as much as theses ladies who have gone to court. I am hurt no less then they are. Yes I understand about the cost of going to court. I am ready to go. I have books full of documentation that this mesh is what has damaged me. I have been thru 2surgeries and face another 2 yet. AMS is just stalling and that is not far to thier victums. They would have been smarter to settle early. Now us women are seeing what kind of settlement we deserve and the citizens of the USA think we deserve. by stalling AMS is just pissing me off. Usually depression and hopelessness are all I have. I have no idea what is going to happen with my case because it is buried in someone’s office who is part of this committee who thinks they know how bad I have been hurt and what I have been through. I want AMS to give my case back to my attorney. Only he knows the whole story! Ladies you do not need to settle for what AMS is offering you! I have asked the question what if I say no then I get nothing and the answer is NO! You have a right to say no and still get a settlement later. Do not be pressured into thinking you have to settle. I am really sick and tired of the stall tactics this so called committee has created. Let my attorney work on it. They have been working on this so called agreement that very few ladies want for some time now, so get a clue AMS and the attorneys working on this. It’s not going to happen this way. I am so happy for these women now perhaps part of their lives can go on. Yes there will be appeals but remember medical companies you will lose. No judge is going to over rule the verdict. The light is shinning brightly on you and your lies and deception. Do the right thing and save some face. Pays us and we can all get on with our lives!!! We all deserve so much more than they are offering the proof is in the verdicts. The normal every day oerson see it and believes in justice for us!

• Jan Urban says:

Sandy, This standard for most cases in our Judicial System. A settlement agreement in a class action suit took 8 years for an Annuity that I inherited. I just received the settlement papers and if there is no objections the Judge will release the funds in January of 1015.

• Anna Cantu says:

When I read these stories I get more and more depressed. Not because you ladies depress me, but because I realize that I too may have little hope for a normal life. I am mid 40’s and my life feels over to some extent. I literally cannot walk on my right leg without a limp-my hip is killing me and there is not a doctor on this planet it seems who believes me. I finally got a shot in the bursa the other day…did it help-about 5 percent, so not enough to tell it! I have seen doctors A, B, C, D, E, F, and G and none of them will admit it could be the location of the mesh. My next option is to go and have a colonoscopy since I cannot seem to go to the bathroom except every 8 or 9 days! Something is wrong and I just want help. I think I will try to see Dr. Raz but it will be hard since I live in TX. Are there any great doctors for removal in TX?

• laurac says:

Did you have sling by ams? Your symptoms almost identical to mine during 3Rd year after implant. I was diagnosedi with arthritis. You may need doc to consider doing a revision or find one who does.

14. Evy. says:

Yes keep all the good news coming.. Wake up Bard & J&J..

• Jan Urban says:

Is the West Virginia trial date On December 4th for Ethicon/Gynecare still on?

• Evy. says:

Jan as far as I know it is ..Keeping everything crossed 🙂

Yes I believe so… that is the Ballew case. A Prolift device by J&J. Case number is 2:13-cv-22473. We also have Figueroa Dec 4 v BSC in Texas state court before Judge Molberg. I’m hoping that one is available via feed available to the media….I’d love to travel to Charleston for another Ethicon case but maybe not…..

15. ANA VELEZ says:

I am a victim of Johnson and Johnson tvt mesh, yes the one with the blue s__t on it. I had a tvt placed in 2009, in 2011 the doctor told me that my incontenence had return. I was told that they would remove it, and put in another one. Uneducated I didn’t know how much this decision was going to hurt me. The worst part is that after filing my case, and reading my surgical report I realized that my first mesh was never removed. but instead the implanted a second and puncture my bladder during surgery. I was told this is not a revision or removal, it is a reimplanted mesh. Where does that leave me in this case?

I’m not a lawyer Ana but if you are damaged you should be able to seek some accountability in the courts….in this case it sounds like you doctor was in error as well, but he likely followed the standard of care so that is tougher. And he can claim that’s what he was told by the sales reps. It really depends on the symptoms you are suffering and what you cannot do today that you could do before mesh, in other words quality of life issues. You should consult with an attorney.

16. sandy says:

Jan thank you for info it’s ridiculous to have to wait that long when your livelihood your ability to make money has been taken away from you I just hope that my attorney said it would take 3 to 5 years that he’s correct I’m really sick AMS right now but I guess we’re all in the same boat and all we can do is hang on and keep praying. all I know is I’m scared to death of the surgery in January I’m scared to death of what they keep putting me through seeing as there is no end to this ever

17. Tammy says:

This is what I have in me AMS Monarc Sling System It was put in in 2008 & I had some of it taking out August 21s of this year I’m still in pain .. 🙁

• Bev says:

No relief until it is ALL removed. See Dr Raz at UCLA for that. He is one of the very few that can safely remove all the mesh.

Be careful because much damage can be done during full removal if done by the wrong doctor.

18. Sandy says:

I never had pain before the surgery to place it in. The minute I woke up the pain was there and has never left me. It is placed to close to the pudendal nerve. I would try to get to a doctor who knows about PND. The sooner you do the better your chance for recovery.

19. mary l. says:

Sandy. I know exactly what you mean. I still can not believe that this has happened to so many of us. I am afraid of what tomorrow will bring .I feel the mesh breaking through again. My last surgery ended up with a total vagina being built .So much mesh was exposed. It was horrible. Again never had pain until the mesh was put in me. Now it is constant. These companies should be ashamed of themselves.

20. Still suffering says:

Dr Raz is the best most experienced, but I had multiple mesh removal surgeries by him and he left an anchor in so there are no guaranties. If he can’t remove it, no one can.

21. Kim says:

Can anyone recommend a good doctor to remove mesh in Wisconsin or Illinois or a state nearby?

• Theress says:

Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis, Mo. He is at the top of the list for mesh removals in the U.S., women are comming from outta the country to hav the best removed their mesh. Good luck & god bless

• Bev says:

You need to know that a complete removal is dangerous. The only good Doctor that I know that has a great record is Dr. Raz at UCLA. A plane ticket is cheap and you room is only $30.00 per day that includes a full breakfast at Tiverton House.

You need to know that a partial removal is a disaster. Worse than leaving mesh in. Do not allow a partial removal.

Respond here if you need more info.

Bev

22. Sandy says:

I believe there is a couple at Mayo clinic that is now removing mesh. I think Jane listed on here on the site. Just something I thought I read.

23. Disgusted says:

I would like to know why after at least 3 (a total of 9 people) juries have concluded that the mesh is defective and Boston Scientific didn’t tell the truth, there are no criminal charges presented?

I know they successfully “won” two cases where the whole truth wasn’t allowed to be presented. However, where is justice? We let corporations off the hook with no accountability. Lives are lost, people are maimed, families, communities hurt and no amount of money is worth the price paid for being a guinea pig. It is disgusting that we tolerate this. The FDA needs total overhauling and accountability needs to be prioritized. This is what is wrong with our medical system, how could it be missed?

• Bev says:

As I see it the government is 50 % responsible with the other 50% being the company’s involved.

Maybe it should be handled with a compensation bill in congress. To sell the politicians let them believe it is a stimulus package.

Bev

Don’t leave out the insurance companies. Most of you were told this was the option they would pay for!!!

• Bev says:

Your right. I also think the insurance company’s could take a lead here advocating against mesh use due to the high cost after implant.

• Bev says:

Jane;

Have you considered listing on your site a list of Drs. Will to do a complete removal. Lots of people searching for a solution.

Local Drs. Distort, don’t tell the whole story, advocate unhealthy solutions, or tell you to seek mental help.

I have had them tell me or do to me the following:

1. It is not the mesh

2. Refered for mental help

3. Had my nerve terminated, so no sensation during sex

4. Partial removal ( left me worse off )

5. Had retocycle done in an effort to fix

6. Botox treatments

7. Visits or procedures with 8 different Doctors.

8. Finally sucess with Dr Raz.

I spent countless hours researching this issue on the Internet. I found it was frustrating to find a Dr. That understood the issues. Your site could help many in finding help.

One more thing would be to list the most common side effects and problems associated with having mesh installed.

Thanks for all you do.

Bev

• Jane R. says:

Bev,

My doctor is telling me the same thing too. I can remove the mesh but it is not going to help your with your leg and hip problem. And she continues to tell me the mesh isn’t causing me groin pain. Okay, then what is.

She says sometimes people randomly get pain after surgery. She’s offered Botox because she is more concerned about my urgency to go when I’m out trying to run errands. That is the least of my problems.

• Bev says:

Hi Jane;

Well my experience is with Botox is that I no longer have sensation during sex. You will not achive normal till Dr Raz removes all of it.

Local Drs seem to be so full of protocol they do not want to solve the under lying problem.

• Jan Urban says:

J R When I asked my Doctor about my insurance company covering my upcoming mesh removal. He said You have Pelvic Pain don’t you? Well there is no problem with the Insurance company approving and paying for the removal.

• Disgusted says:

I agree! This would need to be added to reform the system – they cannot get recompensed on surgeries that they pay for! It would take away their incentive to go along with it all. I think they knew complications were possible and allowed it anyway. I think the companies knew this would happen, and added these costs into their “bottom lines”. It’s all about margin. We are people, not numbers.

• Joe D says:

You can not place 50% on government. We live in a society where it is believed that business knows best. We do not provide the government with the political power to regulate companies like you think they should be. We also think the profit motive is the most important thing for a company, not the consumer of the product, or the worker, or the community. Profit is top.

These companies saw a huge untapped market, filled it with proprietary trash and ruined lives. But they sure made a lot. And when these settlements come out they will do just fine, just like every other medical company that has recklessly ruined lives in search of profit. Think of it like this, these companies don’t give a shit if you have SUI. They only care if money can be made, as we can see with BS they not even give a shit if the material was safe for a human.

Our economic system is toxic. It destroys our humanity and our morality.

Words of wisdom Joe, thank you!

• Bev says:

No we don’t our business is heavily regulated. The fda is but one of many. Fda makes the rules company’s follow.

• Joe says:

It is nice to think the government has our back with regulations. But look at the reality. Often times the person overseeing is completely connected to the companies regulated. The current FDA Head was on the board of one of the largest dental and medical distributors on earth, this is a problem, and it exists everywhere from defense, to banks to agriculture. It’s pervasive.

Something else to remember too is regulations are often seen as a political tool, or ideology. Which means some political leaders think less is best, none is best, or a ton is best, and these POVs can change multiple times in a decade. This type of fluidity in mandates is a breeding ground for total incompetency. The mixed messages given are unbearable for a real regulatory framework.

You said the FDA writes the rules companies follow. That is ignoring a significant part of how it is done as explained above companies have very intimate relationships with regulations, and policy makers. The FDA and congress will write the regulations, but who do you think gets their ear when they are seeking out information on whatever it is? Werent the meshes given fast track permission? Meaning they did not get the scrutiny they obviously deserved. Who exactly benefits from this arrangement? There were very successful procedures for POP AND SUI that these medical devices did not need to be rushed out. It’s all sketchy to me.

For me though, it comes down to this. Why do these companies even need to be regulated from doing misdeeds? Does it seem conscionable to you that you would act in the way these companies acted? Like I said before our economic system incentivizes this behavior, completely amoral behavior. So what do the do they do? They push their crap products, and make loads of money. Meanwhile thousands of lives are ruined, but guess what? Company shares are doing good.

This mesh stuff is unbelievable, it’s amazing to me how it all fits Into to a much larger pattern of corporations acting amorally and ruining lives solely in the pursuit of money. I don’t know when it stops, but it makes me angry.

Sorry for the rant, now you know how my wife feels. 🙂

Injustice for profit is enough to make anyone mad…I’m surprised more Americans are not angry! Where is the outrage. Thank you for your comments! ~ ja

• Jan Urban says:

I tell you this ….neither do the lawyers. I had a hell of a time with my lawyers staffers the other day and none of them are lawyers. I have to follow: They call it of all things the ” Chain of Command” this is who I have to talk to instead of a lawyer?. I was notifying them of a letter I received from Ethicon asking me for a list of my medical Doctor’s, several months back I was surfing Ethicon’s web site to find out what was in my mesh and someone at Ethicon asked me if I needed help. I told them what I wanted so they posted some general info about my sling. Then a nurse came on line and asked me why I wanted a material list and I told her of the sores and lesions and itching and swelling I have since mesh implant. I said No to giving her a list. Any how this 1 gal at my lawyers office said I could not and they do not have this information until after the settlement talk. I told her she was nuts. That could take a long time and I might be dead by that time. Well she insisted, Misinformation I talked to 2 woman that are always telling me what they think I want to hear and it does not even apply and now the supervisor is just as bad, they will not listen and talk over me. They go on and on till I tell them to shut up because nothing else works. Oh my I getting confrontational. Well none of you are lawyers and by the way who is my lawyer. Could I speak to him or her. She’s not in today. another one said she’s here but unavailable. I was furious. I called back and a receptionist answered and I specifically said I did not want to talk to by name and I listed the 3 women. Well one by one they were on the phone. I”m really not happy with this firm, I’ve always talked with my attorneys and if necessary he would have me talk to others in the firm per his instructions. “Chain of Command.” My butt. I finally got the supervisor for the Mass tort to listen and asked her if I were to find out medically that the materials in my mesh were making me ill, that it would strengthen my case.. Well my Lawyer did not call me back on Monday and it is Wednesday. Should I dock their pay? I told all three of them that they didn’t care one bit about me I was only a $’s to them.

• msm says:

Bev, the site above may help. You may be able to hire a new attorney without penalty. Personally, I would not be comfortable staying with anyone I had hired if they even suggested that I must follow THEIR “chain of command”. It may be very difficult to get any cooperation if the lowest on the rung at that office is miffed at you. They can just push your case to the bottom of the pile.

• msm says:

Sorry.That was to Jan not Bev.

• Jan Urban says:

msm Thank you for the information. I emailed the senior attorney. He is the only one with his name listed followed by associates. Subject matter Lack of Trust and Confidence in Staff. I told him all the issues and responses that I had been receiving to my questions of late. I told him that their “Chain of Command” policy is not working for me because if they can not listen to me without talking over me I can’t be sure of the representation I am receiving and my welfare does not matter, only the $ amount. I told him that my intuition is usually right and something is wrong in how myself and the case is being handled. Also that I could not be sure if he would receive or read the email and that I was not sure if his firm has my best interest in representing me in said case. That we need to talk about my options. Well, I got an email back from his phone saying he would call me Monday. Gobble Gobble Everyone!!!!!!!

24. Ana Velez says:

Thank you for your advise I already have a case with J&J. My biggest fear is making a decision to to remove them, I think I rather deal with the daily pain. After reading the risk of removal I am scared to death to do anything, I am afraid the outcome might be worse.

• Bev says:

Your fear is healthy. I also was very afraid of total removal. But the pain with the partical removal and the pain of original surgury was so great I would have preferred death. Not to mention constant infection, no sex, oh ya I forgot that all of this did not fix my pee problem. So in short I agreed to try to make my life whole again.

Dr Raz at UCLA is one of the few than can remove ALL the mesh. He does this surgury about 300 times a year. While not with out risk your risk with using him is much much lower. Care should be taken with other doctors because they promise full removal but only do a partial. The partial removal is worse than before.

You can read an article on this web site regarding Dr. Raz.

So in short Dr Raz has lower risk, tells the truth, and will not remove if he thinks there is too much risk.

Also when he enters the exam room it is as if God just entered. Warmth, goodness just fills the room.

Bev

• Ana Velez says:

How are you feeling now?

• Bev says:

Well the pain down my leg is gone. Painfull sex is gone. Before the removal my husbands penis would come out all bloody from cuts from the mesh protruding into vagina. My pee patern is now normal. No more uti’s. No more daily hourly pain pills.

My mood is now normal and my strength improves daily.

So I can report good news on my situation. But it was a devastating 3 years.

My removal was done in April 2013. Implant May 2010.

There can be life after mesh.

• Jan Urban says:

Bev. That is wonderful news for you and your husband. I am thankful that I can vent my anger and frustration on the Face Book Games. I Yell and cuss at the games. My Cats have no idea for I’ve never been a yeller. What kind of mesh did you have implanted? Enjoy your Holiday. Gobble Gobble.

25. Bev says:

Boston scientific advantage fit.

26. ANA VELEZ says:

Your news is something for me to consider, I am happy for you.

27. sandy says:

Bev you’re one of the lucky ones and I’m so glad that you’re well now I dream of being able to say the same thing you just did one day but after 3 years I have little hope the dental nerve damage was done and it’s probably a reversible by now be very very glad that you came out of this well so many of us do not..

I think we need to all sign a petition and send copies to pur Senators or someone on Congress. It’s worth a try and we need to do something!

28. sandy says:

Should be Pudendal nerve damage is irreversible and really has destroyed my life

29. Sandy says:

At the end of the day all we can do is continue to fight to restore our lives back to normal as possible. But let us this thanksgiving not dwell on what is wrong but what is right. Lets give thanks to the doctors and lawyers and family who see the truth in all of this and are here to help us no matter what happens. I wish all of you and your families the best thanksgiving you can have. Remember to be thankful to God for what you do have – a better brighter tomorrow hopefully. Maybe that will take years to achieve but remember never give up hope. Some don’t even have that. God bless you all my Mesh Friends. And to my mesh enemies who monitor theses sites I pray for you too. I pray that some day you too will see the truth. Until then let us all feel blessed for standing in strength and love. God bless you all. Happy Thanksgiving especially to Jane A for all you do. You are my sister even though I have never met you, I feel as I know your heart. You are an amazing woman! I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!!

30. Kitty says:

Sandy–thankj you for your Thanksgiving Day Greeting. Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday—-unfortunately this Wednesday I was stricken with some kind of intestinal bug with vomiting— several times . This happened to me a few weeks ago—-I had horrendous diarrhea then Threw up a couple of times. I did not have the best Thanksgiving. I’m resting in bed today feel better I will go for spinal injections this coming month for the sacral spasms.

• Anna Cantu says:

• Disgusted says:

Dr. Philippe Zimmern, M.D. is in Dallas, TX. He has a good reputation and is a caring Dr. He is not as aggressive in removals as Dr. Raz, however he did train under Dr. Raz. Many women have reported they have been greatly helped by him. He is closer to your location. Dr. Raz is highly recommended and the waiting list is long. It will require 2 trips. The trips are very hard. The surgery is excruciating, so plan to stay at least 10 days. He is excellent in removing mesh – both Dr.’s will confirm mesh is the cause of the problem. Dr. Zimmern never used any mesh and both Dr.’s are against the product. Blessings.

31. Jane R. says:

Yes, I just emailed my uro gyn and told her about this lawsuit and how the implant was found defective.

She emailed me back and said she wasn’t aware of this. She has said over and over that the mesh

is not the cause of my pain and this has really stopped me from getting SSDI. How can you say

that you aren’t aware of this when you are the head of the uro gyn department at a teaching hospital?

32. msm says:

Has anyone noticed that the docs recommended for mesh removal/treatment all have education from countries outside the USA? Is this what allows them to put the patient over profit? The position statements form other countries do not recommend mesh as the “gold standard” but recommends other traditional surgical procedures as the “gold standard” for treatment of POP . I just find it interesting . . .

• Kitty says:

I believe Dr Dennis Miller was in one of the first foreign groups some years ago $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 00ps my finger slipped cant get back to erase.

33. msm says:

While other countries have restricted or even banned the use of mesh, here is the position in the USA.

“The American Urogynecologic Society strongly opposes any restrictions by state or local medical organizations, healthcare systems, or insurance companies which ban currently available surgical options performed by qualified and credentialed surgeons on appropriately informed patients with pelvic floor disorders.”

The phrase  “strongly opposes any restrictions” is beyond belief in the face of current evidence.

34. Kitty says:

I am getting over some GI infection or flu but I am so angry about the position of AUGS Please excuse me if I am being politically incorrect to anyone But some men—perhaps they may be in AUGS—- think of women as babymakers—some pay women to have babies and————- the mentallty is that our Uterus is an OVEN Maybe then he can have a baby with his husband by using our OVEN. Any woman who does that for money is a fool, There doesn’t seem to be a lot of respect for us. Thank you jury for this verdict—-You seemed to care about the matriarchs and have respect for us.

35. Sandy says:

The doctor who put this horrible mesh in me was from good old South Dakota. They do not have to go to other countries for training or anything. All they have to be is money hungry! In FACT he was in court a month before testifying about a mesh injured patient and never disclosed this to me. He did not educate me about any thing. But he is one of those fancy slick talking doctors who only want to make lots and lots of money just like the medical product companies!!

Anna, your life is not over. Please hang on. Find a good doctor. I have had to travel 1500 miles to see a doctor and get help. I am facing that trip in January and will have surgery at that time and spend a week away from my home. But I must try. I am scared to death of this surgery. I have been told I will have some kind of pain the rest of my life. But I must try to find hope and joy some how some way. Yes there are days I hurt so bad I cry and cry. But there is a man who has no legs or arms and I try to remember it could be worse. NO NO that does not take anything away for our pain. But I hang on to what ever I can.

One possible reason for not pooping is spasms that the Pudendal nerve causes. Yes it can cause you to have issues there. Before anyone touches you see an expert in mesh and Pudendal nerve damage. We know the truth but because we are women and we know what our pain is. You just need to find a doctor who is educated in mesh and the hell it causes people!!!

The one thing I wish for the future is that AMS AND THE ATTORNEYS WHO THINK THEY CAN SPEAK FOR ME WOULD REALIZE IS I WILL NEVER EVER TAKE WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING. GIVE MY CASE BACK TO MY ATTORNEY!!!!

36. msm says:

The Bellew v. Ethicon trial was rescheduled from December 4, 2014 to March 2, 2015. Judge Goodwin has scheduled a joint conference for all MDLs for the end of January. I guess it is unlikely that we’ll see any progress until then.

• msm says:

I am even more confused now. A federal judge in Texas dismissed 76 cases against Ethicon because their headquarters are in NJ and he didn’t think the defendents should be burdened with trying the cases in TX. So what happens now? Do the plaintiffs now have to start over and file in NJ which will be a burden on them and convenient for Ethicon? Or are they out of luck since the cases were dismissed in federal court? Why were they filed in TX? Cases are being tried in federal court in several states. Why so the TX cases get thrown out. Were they not in the MDL? Why not? Confused….

37. Sandy says:

I think Judge Goodwin may be part of the problems with delays. He wants joint conferences with attorneys and medical companies. He wants us all in my opinion to agree to what they offer. Well as far as AMS they can forget it. Why should I? I am no less hurt and damage for life then the women who got 3-4 million and up! I may even have more severe problems. They just keep putting off the bar knuckles fight they we wil have with theses companies. I realize all these cases can not all have their day in court but theses medical companies and the attorneys who have many many clients will not get to throw me under the bus! I fired the first attorney who tried to do that! Ladies and gentlemen who have case with huge law firms don’t settle for pennies when you deserve so much more. When they finally see that we know that we know the value of our bodies and the damage these companies have caused us and our families, only then will they open up their eyes and start responsible negotiations with us. They have heard the public speak and they know that the public will defend us and stand up for us against the wrong that these companies have done to us!

To use an old saying “UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL!!

38. Ana says:

I saw in one of my surgecal report that I was implanted with

810041A GYNECARE TVT™ with Abdominal Guides 810041B GYNECARE TVT™ (mechanical cut mesh).

I asked my lawyers office if this was one of the recall mesh, they said no. But I don’t know if they are right.

39. ANA says:

Does anybody know if this mesh is a recall?

• msm says:

Recall has absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuits. If you are injured and your attorney says that your mesh doesn’t “qualify” get a new lawyer. That’s like docs telling patients they don’t have the” bad mesh” and their mesh will not cause any problems. Mesh is mesh. You’re injured or you’re not. There’s no gray area in my opinion.

40. Sandy says:

It doesn’t matter if it has been recalled really. Mine hasn’t been but it hurt me so nothing more needs to be doscussed. They all should be removed from the market because they were never tested they way they should have been due to the 501 process. They are all bad regardless if they are still on the market. Hopefully one of theses days they will be required to be recalled!!!,

41. ANA says:

I totally agree with you, I wonder if they have family members who experiencing our pain.

42. PLC says:

J&J always seem to be able to get the trials postponed. It seems like the bellwether trials didn’t help to speed up or have these mesh companies start making settlements. I wonder what Judge Goodwin will suggest when the joint conferences fail to get things moving along as well. 🙁

• Jan Urban says:

The best cases are if you have had the mesh removed or you are going to have it removed. I have a GYNECARE TVT Exact by Ethicon. I’m not sure if all are complications will be part of a settlement offer other then the revision surgery? Changing the subject: Has any one visited this web site: meshproblems.weebly.com/-research.html? Check it out. It lists all the available research on mesh. It takes a bit of time to go through the list but hey what else can we do with our time?

43. Debra says:

Hello I have a question has anyone been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as I had the TVTO mesh put in 2010 and had a partial removal done in 2012 and then went to UCLA and Dr Razz did a rivision surgery to remove the remaining mesh in June of 2014 hopefully it’s all out.But since having the second surgery my sugar levels where extremely high hitting high as 26.4 I didn’t even know I had this until my Dr did a blood test recently as I had an infection my blood surger was reading 15 he told me I had full blown diabetes.He prescribed a blood tester so I could check my levels and monster them for ten days before putting me on any meds and when I checked it was 26.4 my husband took me to the ER they put me on Metformin to take three times daily and insulin to give myself at night on top of all the other pain medications I’m currently taking now from the mesh.Is this just one other horror I have to endure from having a twenty minute surgery and all the pain and suffering I’ve endured from it meaning having the mesh implant and the revision surgeries as I read it could be from an auto immune disease from having the mesh removed.Anybodys input would be greatly appreciated thanks

Debra, of all of the complications of mesh implants, diabetes is not often mentioned… but honestly this is one huge experiment and no one can tell you down the road what the complications are. Did you have diabetes before a mesh implant? What was your baseline of health? I’m not doctor but that would seem to need to be established first….. thank you. You can write me at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Debra says:

Thanks for the reply Jane:No I didn’t have diabetes before the mesh implant or before the partial revision surgery it seemed to hit a few months after I had the second revision surgery with Dr Razz as it was a very intense and extensive surgery.As goes for my health before having the mesh put in I never hardly seen my Dr as I was in very good health, when I was pregnant many years ago I did have juststational diabetes but this is very common in women who are pregnant and after birth of my children it went away.Its very concerning as it just seems to be one thing after another happening to me health wise due to having the mesh put in then taken out, once again thanks for the reply.

44. Anna Cantu says:

I have EVERY symptom of Type 2 diabetes except weight loss…I have gained 10 lbs in a year and for me that is a LOT! I have always weighed 122-124 and it seems like I am always so bloated now. Just had endoscopy/colonoscopy and guess what…I have a fungal infection in esophagus/infections reoccurring is one of the symptoms. I just got over a bacterial infection from a round of Levaquin (which will probably hurt some other part of my body).

I have never been diabetic, but Type 2 is sounding more like my strange round of illnesses. I have a glucose monitor and I just used it. It was normal at 73 fasting. Now I have eaten a meal. Does anyone know if there should be warnings of type 2 after eating….? It seems like when I don’t eat every 2 or 3 hours (a bite or two of something….crave sugar-always thirsty)

I get very weak, disoriented, sick feeling, queasy.

Thanks for the ADVICE…:)

• Debra says:

Hi Anna I believe in the US and Canada the readings on the Glucose Moniter is differant as here in Canada 73 would indicate a really high blood sugar count in Canada normal would be in between 5 and 6 to answer your question my Dr did say if your sugar levels keep going up after eating you need to get it down again so yes it would most likley indicate that you do have type 2 Diabetes if your blood sugars keep increasing after you ate mine went as high as 26.4 from 5 to 6 being normal here in Canada..I to was very thirsty all of the time I thought at first it was from one of my medications I took for pain from having the mesh as one of the medications was Gabapentin for nurv blockage and I read one side affect was thirst so I didn’t at all expect to here that I was or have type 2 diabitese

45. kitty says:

It is horrible the way some of us are suffering

Just because many of us are aging –does not mean we should be hit with all health problems–There is nothing that I did in my youth to have caused all these I in these infirmaties.