Perry Hammered About Her Medical Past in Transvaginal Mesh Trial

Mr. and Mrs. Perry zip lining in Hawaii, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Perry zip lining in Hawaii, 2012, Facebook

Thanks to Courtroom View Network for access to live streaming video of the Perry v. Ethicon trial. Mesh News Desk is prevented from showing any plaintiffs or evidence or from quoting directly from the case.

On Monday, February 9, the plaintiff in Perry v. Ethicon, (Case 1:13-cv-00729-AWI-JLT), took the stand again after a long weekend break.   Ms. Coleen Perry, 50 wore a red sweater and neat red blouse with a wrap at the neck. Her blonde hair is neatly styled and she is calm and polite.

This is the third week of her defective product trial against Ethicon, being conducted in state court in Bakersfield, California.

The attorney for Ethicon, Kim Schmidt questioned her about her health, presenting a series of documents, questionnaires Ms. Perry filled out before going to an alternative/ complimentary medical doctor in Los Angeles, as well as other doctors. The questions were personal, private and for the most part, occurred before her pelvic mesh implant, an Abbrevo, in March 2011 to treat incontinence.

Abbrevo TVT-O, Ethicon website

Abbrevo TVT-O, Ethicon website

Abbrevo is a 12 cm transobturator mid-urethral polypropylene mesh sling made by Ethicon, a division of Johnson & Johnson.

Schmid attempted to lay a foundation of doubt about the pre-mesh health condition of Ms. Perry.

Testifying on the stand, Ms. Perry said she had gone to various doctors complaining of insomnia, shortness of breath, asthma, anxiety, depression, heavy periods, dizziness sand fainting.  In her 20’s she had a series of urinary tract infections and suffered PMS or premenstrual syndrome. She was overweight and wanted help.

She and her husband suffered medical problems after a motor vehicle accident in Las Vegas. She has hired attorneys to deal with that car accident, established Schmid.  The auto accident caused pain in her neck and she received a prescription for Vicodin and began seeing an orthopedic doctor for her spine issues. She also went to a physical therapist and stopped all physical activities after June 2013.

Ms. Perry politely answered the personal questions. When she wanted to elaborate, she was cut off.

Kim Schmid, Ethicon attorney

Kim Schmid, Ethicon attorney

Her incontinence became worse in 2009 and up until that time it was moderate.  Her doctor, Dr. Luu, a pelvic floor surgeon, described the sling implant and how it could correct the condition of incontinence.  The leaking of urine was disruptive to Ms. Perry’s lifestyle, which was an active one involving time with her husband.  During her consult about the mesh implant, Ms. Perry says she did not ask for any patient brochures. She did sign an informed consent that she understood the risks of mesh placement. She agreed all of her questions had been answered about the four surgeries she would undergo.

After the mesh implant, Ms. Perry said the incontinence had resolved. She attended seven follow-up medical appointments and went to a HGC diet to lose weight.

Schmidt did not hesitate to outline the number of doctors Ms. Perry had seen and the procedures she was receiving which included physical therapy, vitamin c infusions, an alternative/complimentary medical doctor. These were physicians attending to conditions outside of her pelvic issues, which Ms. Perry tried to emphasize when she was asked why she didn’t complain to them about the ongoing pelvic pain and dyspareunia.  To address her pelvic mesh, which had now eroded, Ms. Perry saw another doctor to conduct an excision.

Many women have no idea mesh may be related to their pelvic pain until they see television commercials about mesh injuries. Ms. Schmidt asked Ms. Perry if she had seen transvaginal mesh commercials before she decided to hire an attorney.  Yes she had.  Before she hired them, did she think there was anything wrong with the TVT Abbrevo? Prior to seeing the commercial, the surgeries and erosion led her to believe something was wrong with the mesh, Ms. Perry corrected the attorney.

While the Abbrevo corrected her incontinence, pelvic pain never went away. Then the mesh eroded into her vagina. She had an excision and colporrhaphy scheduled. Six months after that surgery, she and her newly retired husband  went on a three week trip to Hawaii.The defense showed her pictures posted on her Facebook of zip lining and playing golf.

Ms. Perry in Hawaii

Ms. Perry in Hawaii

Life After Mesh- Everything Resolved?

Sometime after her mesh surgeries and explant, Ms. Perry wanted to get healthier without prescription medications.  She underwent an IV vitamin C drip  as well as blood irradiation prescribed by Dr. Mather, her alternative/complimentary medical doctor. The doctor also recommended bioidentical hormones, supplements and vitamins every day.

The couple purchased an RV to take a trip to Arizona, and the California coast.

In an exhibit, defense showed a letter Ms. Perry wrote in February 2014 to Dr. Mather. She was walking up to 5 miles a day, about 25 miles a week, calculated Schmidt.  Ms. Perry wrote she felt great, was sleeping through the night and that life was good!!  She did not mention her pelvic pain to Dr. Mather who was addressing overall health, not her pelvic injuries.

Re-Direct

On re-direct, an attorney for Ms. Perry established she had no health problems related to mesh, before the mesh implant.  Any complications, Dr. Luu had indicated could be dealt with, fixed or repaired, perhaps explaining why she did not ask further.

Did she experience mesh erosion prior to a mesh implant? No. Was erosion associated with allergies? No, she said. He established there were no injuries to her pelvic region during the car accident in Las Vegas.

Patrick Perry

Bringing some context to the story was Patrick Perry, called to the stand Monday afternoon. The California native worked as a firefighter in Los Angeles until 2012. He spent time in the Marines. He and his wife loved outdoor life – golf, fishing, four-wheeling.

Mr. Perry said his training as a firefighter sharpened his skills as an observer, someone who sizes things up in advance of acting.  How is his wife today?  She is deteriorating, he said. Definitely not a complainer, he has to pry to find out what is wrong. From the mesh until now, especially since his retirement, he said he’s watched her go through decline because of pain. When she cries, it gets him worked up he said. Sometimes it become overwhelming for her.

Referring to herself as damaged goods, Mr. Perry told the jury she believes this is her fault. If she hadn’t gotten this procedure, they’d be okay during this, the retirement years they had planned for. She refers to it as the death of their sex life, he said. It’s horrible to watch her go through the pain and it kills me and Mr. Perry said he doesn’t know what to do for her.  Calling them a great couple, he said we are traumatized, not just her, but both of us.

The defense had no questions. #

1. What the hell dose her past health have to do with her pain with the mesh.Not a damn thing.A lit of people try to work through our pains.But when we find it isn’ t going away, then we rethink things.

• shelia says:

We all have to live with pain and get pain meds. just to get up out of the bed. Botox with every in us we try to live a life. we all know are time on this earth is limit because of the mesh so you have to try everything in the world to badder pacemaker to just live what life we still have.

• Diana Clark says:

How stupid this lawyer is to ask Ms. Perry if there was erosion prior to her mesh surgery? Is she just stupid, or what? I had 3 extrusions into my vaginal wall, several years after the mesh stopped migrating inside. All but a small piece was removed June 2014. I may have the last piece now showing its ugly face. This lawyer needs to do her homework. I will have bad pain my my lower pelvic area at times, that requires me to use a cane. I mean it really hurts. I have been told it is nerve damage. I push myself daily, and only take tylenol when I am near tears.

2. ana says:

I am reading this. and tear are just flowing out of my eyes, something about this couple just describes the hurt that I’am living with.

• Jan Urban says:

So RUTHLESS. How is that allowed? We are women and we go to the Doctors. Our bodies start changing in are late thirties, forties and really change after menopause. Who hasn’t experienced palpitations, sweating, dizziness, anxiety, depression, mood swings etc. It’s all part of being a women. I would go back to all those conditions in a minute over the pain and debilitating effects of this mesh. At 55 years old and a smoker I would wheel barrow and lay 55 yards of mulch in 2 days. Now I’m lucky if I can sweep the kitchen floor and that is half a#%ly done. Just RUTHLESS!!!!!!

3. Delores says:

This story touched my heart tremendously sorry for the pain you and your husband are going through.. I am able to truly relate with your story because I was misdiagnoise with urethral stricture and the doctor performed the wrong surgery and I am totally incontinent, self catherize and they are presently trying to throw my case out. The reason is for the same thing they’re trying to do to you. The difference with my case is that the lawyer I had sold me out after three years, he tried to convince me to drop my case then relieved himself and now the courts are threatening to throw I out. Hang it there, if you have a GOOD ATTORNEY HE WILL KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THE UNJUST SYSTEM. THATS WHAT THEY SAID TO ME ..I WAS TOLD WELL YOU ALREADY HAVE AN OVERACTIVE BLADDER DESPITE THE DOCTOR DAMAGING CUTTINE MY BLADDER MAKING ME INCONTINENT I PROBADLY WOULD END UP INCONTINENT. Also due to the fact that one of the 4 surgeries I had to try to correct his error was one they usually used for overactive people which was my true diagnois the lawyer said he had to drop my case. liars.. I hope I can find a lawyer that believes in true justice for women.I will keep you in my prayers, hang in there, at least you are in trial.. that is a positive sign because they don’t want any of us to fight for our rights. Be Blessed

4. Mary pat says:

Kim Schmid is ugly inside and out. Really ugly.

5. jade says:

This is a slam -dunk for Defense! That’s one of the reasons “why” Christy Jones is not the lead attorney. Ethicon has given Kim Schmid the venue to “cut-her-teeth”. Let’s see how this plays out!

6. Diane Elliott says:

Maybe Kim Schmitt should get mesh.

• Frankencrotch says:

Yes she should get mesh… even for just ONE day… and then we would see how quick she would be to defend the mesh and discredit the injured. … wouldn’t that be awesome… I have often wished a doctor who was currently in the process of dismissing my symptoms because he was mesh stupid… and all the other people who assume we are making it up, playing the victim… when more often we are suffering in silence…. WELL… wouldn’t it be just divine if for even ONE DAY… the judge, the mesh executives AND their lawyers… and doctors who dismiss us and lie to us… and everyone else who discredits and denies our pain and disability… if for just ONE day… they could experience life after mesh. ONE DAY. that is all it would take. They would quickly realize we stand on the side of truth and honest disclosure… unlike the mesh companies that knowingly destroyed our health.

7. Disgusted says:

I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk for the defense. It depends on how the plaintiffs frame the case. We haven’t heard from the “experts”. Prior conditions do not mean that affects the pelvis. Hopefully the jury is sharp and see’s the smokescreen. She may be more active than most of us, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t injured. Are they joking? Really, who has a perfect body who needs a sling for incontinence? If prior surgeries were an issue, that should be in the IFU. Kim Schmitt is doing her job, which requires no conscience. Just another one in the greedy system we’ve come to know too well.

LOL Diane. Wouldn’t it be great if we had a defense attorney who had mesh implanted?

8. stopmeshimplants says:

What brave individuals this couple is to testify about their most intimate part of their lives. I am grateful for both of their testimony and hope they realize how many of us are being helped by their telling the truth. It all seems so familiar doesn’t it We can all relate to their sex life issues, the ongoing pain issues and how guitly we are that we did not investigate this procedure better. Sad, sad, sad and all to familiar. Forever grateful to Coleen and Patrick Perry. God bless you both.

One can’t help but wonder if this is exactly what defense likes to prove- your life will be an open book if you file a public lawsuit so think twice! Not for everyone surely….Mesh News Desk has refrained from putting every detail on this site because they are allowed some privacy. ~ ja

9. Diane Elliott says:

Jane, I mailed you something, could you please let me know when you receive it. Thanks Diane

10. kitty says:

I feel so violated and so disrespected as a woman.

11. Dean says:

Talk about being taken through the mud these people will try anything to discredit a person your exactly right Donald what does this have to do with anything about having the mesh in and the complications Mrs Perry is having from the MESH!!!!!!!!

12. Summer says:

Here’s how we can solve this issue once and for all. Let every Attorney who represents Big Pharma, have a close family member of theirs operated on with Mesh, Let all of the Pharma Big Wigs have a family member be inserted with Mesh, wife/mother/sister/aunt/daughter/close female friend. Let all doctor’s who deny there isn’t a Mesh problem have a family member, wife/mother/sister/daughter/close female friend, have Mesh inserted in them. After the thousands of these individuals with just one family member or friend be inserted with mesh, the Mesh reality would be a non-issue. They will see the Mesh issues first hand. To hammer away at this lady, who has a mesh medical issues is not right. The issue of other illnesses and what she pushes herself to do on a daily bases is her business. I’m glad to see that she continues to do something for herself with her family. Everyday is a precious one. To have as much of a normal life as possible. None of us expected the outcome of what we got from this. Stick to the real issue. Mesh has hurt Men and Women and has destroyed lives and families. Please Lord! Let them see.

• Disgusted says:

Here, here. You said it Summer. I wish it were realistic! They knew the dangers and I’m sure they aren’t putting it in their own family member. After the defense see’s story after story . . . they know.

• zoggy says:

The lawyers should do their homework before putting people on the stand. We shouldn’t be bullied in court Bc we try to please our husbands no matter how much pain we are in. Sex, motorcycle ride, zip lining, etc so we suffer afterwards wear pads during the events take a couple pain pills afterward so what? Its better than are husbands leaving us with no money, no insurance, no home, etc. We are in survival mode Bc you sure in hell are going to have a hard time getting SSDI, gov help, etc. I have tried to get my SSDI after 40 yrs of paying in the SSDI judge said he didn’t want to hear about my mesh! Well I sure would like to put some mesh in him, make him wear pads, wet himself, have painful sex, etc. Thiss female lawyer is a disgrace to all of us women. Our damn laywers should put the right plaintiffs in these positions to face the defendants. They should have known J & J is going to use social media against us. I just wish there were some women who had the courage to rally outside the courthouses instead of wanting to hide behind our computers. I don’t want to jeopardize my case either I am not afraid to talk about my private parts. I have asked many times for women to join me in WV. NO RESPONSE! Even though my husband said I shouldn’t go Bc I just got out of the hospital but I am willing to make the 4 hr trip. I even offered to buy the posterboards and supplies and get a private room set up to plan a rally. I guess I hide behind my computer too!

• Dear Zoggy , I just read your comment Sweety !!! Zoggy I would love to express myself in the way you do . I’m four surgeries already since my 1st operation to clean up inside the viginal area. I’m 59 as of the 13th & have lots of issues but I would still love to join you !!!! I would figure it out & try to as loud & ambitious as you are too. My number is 256-510-0244 , Connie Thornburg is my name. I live in Childersburg, Alabama .if I don’t hear from you then I’ll understand that you decide not to do it . That’s ok Zoggu !!! Hugs to you & your family’s !!!

• Tammy says:

There is 5 or more of us going to wv , march 2, would love you to join us. 5 mesh women

• Frankencrotch says:

TOTALLY AGREE!

13. Kitty says:

It is mortifying to tell a Dr or health care worker that you no longer have sex with your husband.

14. surgeryinmay says:

Zoggy, I’m sorry. If I was able and had a way to get to WV I would go in a minute.. I am not afraid.. i want everyone to know. This needs to stop. It makes me so sick. I read hystersisters, about stress urinary incontinence, I read women are still getting slings.. i even post NOT to do it! That it will Ruin their life.. but yet they do it! I swear if I had only known.. i would have never had a miniarc sling put in me in may 2011. 4 years of total misery. I have been nothing to my dear family, I’ve missed so much with my kids, my husband, so much. I AM SO MAD, I DON’T UNDER STAND ANY OF THE LAWSUITS. Why can’t I just sue american medical systems? The whole class action I don’t understand. Why can’t I sue the doctors? Because the damn Tennessee Politicians fixed it where the doctors wouldn’t get in trouble. They are all crooks. I can’t trust anybody.. I’m in pain,I’m sick, I am passing mesh slivers, mesh stones, and I don’t have a doctor here that can help me… so I suffer. It is Terrible. Just. TeRrible.

15. PLC says:

Has there been any verdict on this case as of yet?

16. Corinne says:

Zoggy, I would like nothing else but to advocate for this worthy cause…I have the TVT-Secur, 1 revision surgery so far, waiting to do the explant surgery. Like many other victims I am saving pennies so I can get my surgery in the event we don’t prevail in court. I am currently going through a divorce and have been separated from my husband since around January 2014. So, in as much as I would love to be in WV to have my voice heard among other victims, my finances don’t allow it. I live in Alabama as well. I wish we could all be there!

• confused and afraid says:

Hello Corinne, I also have the TVT-Secur. I have not had it removed yet, and I understand where you are coming from with saving pennies to have surgery. I wanted to see Miklos and Moore for surgery, because of their experience and success with other surgeries but I cannot afford it. They are very expensive and they are not in contract with my insurance, which means I will have to pay even more. There are very few doctors that can do this surgery, and I am afraid to trust just any doctor. I am in pain every day and wish I had never trusted my doctors with telling me I needed this implant. God be with us all, and I pray everything will get better for all of us soon. Thank you Jane for all you do, you are a God sent.

• connie…Dr Furr in Chattanoooga can help you with your situation and he takes many different ins. Coverage. He did my 4th surgery that other physicians said could not be done.

17. Diane Elliott says:

Confused and afraid, I don’t know. If you have heard of Dr Raz a t U C L A IN CALIFORNIA or Dr Ve ronicus in St Louise they accept insurance and are reasonable. Dr Raz has been doing removal surgery for several years and has a fantastic success rate. Excuse typing , I’m in the car.

• confused and afraid says:

Diane, thank you for your comment. Dr Raz, I think would be a experienced doctor as well. I just hoped to find a doctor closer to home.

• MarieAnn says:

I have heard that Dr Christopher Walker in Orlando is a good explant doctor. He is a Uro/Gyn surgeon and very compassionate. God bless you confused and afraid.

18. addison says:

Dear Zoggy: Do you mind us asking about your medical care prior to applying for SSDI? Have you obtained all of your medical records? The reason we ask is because the decision by DDS isn’t based solely on the paperwork you filled out in the beginning – your account of surgeries, injuries, pain, illness, inability to maintain employment, etc. Understandably, the medical records of all applicants are gathered and reviewed by Disability Determination Services/DDS…continued below, Zoggy.

19. addison says:

Zoggy, the DDS examiner carefully reviews medical records and your account of injury, chronic illness, medications, daily activities, etc. Medical records, including tests, scans, diagnoses, opinions of medical providers, etc. are very important. The examiner reviews the records for proof of injury or illness, and based on these records (possibly also letters or communication with a doctor(s), decides if one can work certain types of jobs or is unable to maintain employment.

Some physicians chart far less than others. As you have noticed if you obtained your records, some take very few notes while others go into great detail. As long as the records are correct – no large or hurtful mistakes – patients and future providers benefit from thorough charting, and in circumstances such as these, thoroughness and honesty are necessary.

Zoggy, we have to log off for a little while but have more to add. We hope to help you in any way possible.

20. addison says:

Hey there, Zoggy. Sorry for the break; I had to soak in warm water/the tub and try eating something. I hope what we have shared thus far makes sense. In going through the SSDI process, we learned a bit about the disability side of Social Security. We were told that medical records play an important role in determining whether an applicant can perform most types of work, sedentary work/jobs, or little to no work.

Sorry, please look below…unsure why we typically can’t type a few paragraphs in one post or box.

21. addison says:

Social Security employees or DDS claims examiners can’t only rely on the words and opinions of applicants. Looking at all medical records seems to be the only way to confirm diagnoses and such. In an easier world, this would work very well. Although it often does, what about those who are in your situation? From your posts, we gather that you are often in pain, exhausted, and suffering from other difficult ailments stemming from the implants and possible revisions. We couldn’t help but wonder what type of care you have received…

22. addison says:

what has been charted by your providers, and what is possibly missing or in need of elaboration. If you haven’t gathered your health records, please do this. While my application and medical records were being reviewed by DDS, I realized that I should have obtained all of my records to ensure everything important was recorded and correct. I had some of them, but many were not in my posession. At this time, my husband and I are trying to gather all of them. It takes a lot of time, especially when many specialists and records are involved, but it is worth it.

23. addison says:

Thankfully, most of my specialists charted and continue to record important details such as erosions, contraction, neuropathies, severe pain and why this occurs, revision details and the surgery findings, all diagnoses, struggles, etc. I have been blessed with several highly intelligent, skilled specialists and hope and pray that you, Zoggy, and everyone going through so much either has or finds providers who deeply care for their patients. Along with support of family members and/or friends, appropriate medical care with excellent physicians is vital…

24. addison says:

Without these, hope and prayer, we will not make it through. Sadness and anxiety are part of most or all days. For anyone who has lost important people or feels alone in this, please reach out to Jane or someone posting on this, her site. It’s so hard to reach out sometimes, but we need to communicate with others and pray. We are individuals, experiencing nothing exactly like someone else — diagnoses, ailments, feelings, etc. as well as where we are on this journey differ — but there are similarities, too. It’s these that can bring us together. These similarities allow us to understand and help one another.

25. addison says:

Zoggy, my advice is that you gather your records and see what has been charted. Some important diagnoses or facts might be missing, or mistakes could have been made. If you have caring, skilled providers through this, maybe they will add the missing information and further explain your diagnoses, including the effects such diagnoses have on an individual. If you find this has occurred and your providers cannot or will not do the above, please seek the assistance of another physician(s). Correct and thorough medical records are not only important in your request for SSDI but also in your future care…

26. addison says:

Future providers, particularly those in the same facility–clinic or hospital–will likely examine past medical records for some assistance, including past and present diagnoses. SSDI is, understandably, not easy to receive, but if you are struggling each day as described above, you need help. Please don’t listen to those who tell you that it is impossible for young, chronically I’ll and injured people to receive SSDI. I am in my thirties and was granted SSDI upon first application with no need to hire an attorney. I knew that it was deserved but was unnecessarily scared to apply due to the words of others.

27. addison says:

Zoggy, that was to be “ill”, chronically ill. My husband, daughter, friends and I read that SSDI was impossible to receive at my age. This is not true. Social Security does want to help those in great need. Their DDS department must heavily rely on medical records, however. This often works as it is meant to, but it doesn’t work 100% of the time. If important things are missing from your records or mischarted, this could hurt an applicant. As I mentioned earlier, it can also affect future care. I urge you to gather all of your records; please read them and check for mistakes and/or missing information.

28. addison says:

Also, Zoggy, if you find that you need another specialist or more than one specialist, which is typically needed through this, please research providers in your area…or as close to you as possible. You can look to this site and also read reviews online. When you are given a diagnosis and told why it may have occured as well as how it might affect you (along with treatment options, if any), I think it is ok to ask your specialist to chart everything discussed. This is especially important if you find missing information or mistakes in previous records. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us. God bless you!

• Jane R says:

SSDI wants to here what your conditions are and how they stop you from working.

I offered pages and pages of doctors reports and it didn’t do me any good.

I had one doctor that agreed the mesh has caused permanent damage.

But the SSDI examining doctor didn’t agree to that and neither did the two

Medical examiners I had at my hearing. They said they saw nothing

that would stop me from working. Denied. I appealed. Denied.

New application, 2 denials, waiting for another hearing. This has been

since June of 2011. I have tests and I go to the Pain Management Center.

The doctors will not put in my reports my limitations. They say I have pain.

3 of my doctors have said they don’t get involved in SSDI.

It’s a tough road.

• addison says:

Jane R, we are sorry to hear this. Are you unemployed or still trying to work? It must be very difficult to face this on top of your injuries/illness. Have you collected all of your medical records? If you have, are all of the surgeries, hospitalizations, diagnoses such as erosions, infections, nerve damage, chronic incontinence or retention, bleeding, etc. charted?

• addison says:

Jane, when DDS had my file, I was told that they had to collect and examine records from every doctor who had either operated on me, diagnosed conditions/injuries/illnesses, treated or attempted to treat my injuries and conditions, or cared for me during my hospitalizations. They reviewed charts from every doctor and facility involved in my care through this ordeal, and they gathered everything.

• addison says:

Did SSA/DDS gather all of your records, or did you have to send in what you had? Do you know if they received charts from every doctor and facility involved in your care? In the packet you (or a family member) filled out, did you have a chance to thoroughly explain all of your conditions and injuries as well as the medications you are on, your limitations due to this, and what your average day is like with your illnesses and injuries?

• addison says:

Also, Jane, do you know what the doctor recorded–the one who diagnosed permanent injury? Did he or she chart the specific damage/name of your injuries or condition(s)? Although it’s so difficult, have you sought help for the psychological effects, too? Does everyone involved also know about all of the medications you need? Does your body deal well with the medications, or are you struggling with these as well?

• addison says:

Every day is rough; we can’t imagine also going through an appeal, much less one after another. We hoped to help you but realize we probably haven’t helped much. We don’t know all that has happened to you, but from your posts and knowing you applied for SSDI, we imagine that you are really struggling and don’t function normally. Maybe some of our experiences can help?

• Frankencrotch says:

Hang in there with the SSDI Jane… I applied in 2011 as well. It is hard to prove the pain and disability when it cannot be seen. When many of us look otherwise healthy and have no obvious physical defects of abnormal bloodtests. I didn’t at first either. But eventually, it was impossible for them to deny it when I was diagnosed with autoimmune conditions brought on by foreign body reaction. And the approved it all the way back to 2011. It was a fight… but I have heard that if after appeals you make it to court… the presiding judge is much more inclined to rule in your favor. And you can appeal after that … don’t give up. Eventually you will succeed I believe. I pray for you that happens soon. Also with the possibility of the FDA likely updating their mesh warnings to even more severe and reclassifying it… and with more and more women speaking up… logging in to FDA site and reporting symptoms ( we have to!!! our doctors often DON’T take the time!!!). Well… more and more they are acknowledging mesh complications and beginning to recognize foreign body reaction and mesh-induced autoimmune disease. They try to shut us up and throw us under the bus. But there are just to many of us to ignore for long. Hopefully soon you will receive the disability you so very much deserve. Warmest wishes and best of luck to you dear Jane.

29. Jane R says:

I had all my records, surgery, doctors reports, etc. Part of the reason for denial in first application

is that the SS doctor didn’t find anything wrong with me that I couldn’t go to work. I get the stabbing

groin pains but I can’t produce them at will. Even with the reports and there were pages of them.

I spent a year without health insurance. I didn’t go to my uro gyn for check ups because some

of their appointments are over $400.00. I didn’t have the money. So the judge said you aren’t

getting any treatment so therefore you can’t be very disabled. Obviously if a vital organ

was punctured I would have gone immediately to the hospital. I claimed groin pain, back pain,

nerve damage, lymphedema and incontinence. Wasn’t enough.

2nd application SSDI has acknowledged complications from the mesh surgery but don’t

feel it’s enough to keep me from working. I do a little bookkeeping for my son. He wanted me

to work full time and I can’t. Some days I can’t life my hand up to comb my hair much less drive.

So if you don’t seek treatment, you must not be very injured? Right. True compassion. That is part of the equation that is not being considered by the courts. What if a woman cannot possibly afford to go to a doctor or afford a revision surgery? Does that mean she is not equally injured to someone who can and has? Is the court taking that into account? Are the lawyers?

• addison says:

With medical records playing such a large role in determining SSDI eligibility, the following must be considered: Some providers don’t record as much as others; some physicians don’t chart limitations; some providers don’t record anything which cannot be measured directly (subjective symptoms or conditions); errors are sometimes within patient records, and most patients do not think this is possible nor do they obtain their records so important changes can be made if necessary; there are injured and ill people who don’t seek ongoing care because they can’t afford it…

• addison says:

Chronically ill and injured patients typically want the tests, scans, etc. to look further into their symptoms and conditions or the surgery/procedure which might benefit them…or the therapy and medications that might allow them to function better. Already struggling, they worry about what might happen if the bills and collection accounts aren’t paid and how this will affect their homes and families. If someone with a chronic condition feels like a burden due to the inability to provide or do what was once done, seeking ongoing medical care when it can’t be afforded only adds to this awful feeling.

• Frankencrotch says:

I know what you mean. They are coming at us desperately seeking ways to get out of admitting their product is defective and the damage it has caused many of us has stolen so much of our lives from us. I have had multiple appointments with doctors seeking answers, physical therapy, medications, other treatments, tests upon tests, and of course, three revision surgeries that clearly showed erosion, bunching and massive scar tissue. However, I feel they may try to pull this on me too… because after this last surgery, I developed such severe post traumatic stress disorder related to ANYTHING MEDICAL… I cancelled all my doctors appointments… didn’t seek treatment when I needed it… and for a while… I was afraid to even leave my house. THe birth of my granddaughter thankfully helped to pull me out of it. But after having my entire pelvis completely dissected and put back together, 7 hours in OR, 5 days in hospital, horrrible postop infections, inabilty to urinate for months and a bladder infection so severe that even self cathing often didn’t work… and for a while my husband had to do, and do it several times in a row before urine would come up because the catheter would instantly clog up with pus and blood … three or four or more times and a little urine came out, but always retaining much… as scared as I was and as much I dreaded doctors, hospitals of any kind… so much fear and distrust at that point after being thrown under the bus by doctors and being put through those painful procedures and surgeries… when even the multiple cathing stopped working, i was forced to go to ER for my bladder to be emptied. I was terrified and didn’t say much. And by this time, after over a week of a postop infection unrelated to bladder which kept me unable to move and with steady fever of 102-105, I finally, with the help of antibiotics I had leftover and additional prescibed by my surgeon via phone (he was 8 hours away out of state in St. Louis…)..well… because I was too scared to seek treatement and go back in the hospital, because I eventually became to sick to even communicate HOW sick I was… by the time I hit the emergency room, that awful, terrifying postop infection was clearing up… So much of my issues after that surgery are not documented. For me, it totally isn’t about money. There is NO amount of money that could ever make up for what has been done to me. It is about justice and accountability. It so bothers me when they are able to dismiss a mesh injured womans case because she was “overweight”, “smoked cigarettes” or had any previous medical conditions. Because I personally was never told weight OR smoking could be detrimental to mesh implantation. I was told,, by a doctor on J&J’s payroll, that there WERE no complications other than possibly the vaginal tightening up if you didn’t have sex and for the sling… ONLY complication mentioned was it could be installed too tightly… but that wouldn’t be something for me to worry about because he had done 100s of them and they were all perfect. My doctor was an “expert” on implanting mesh and worked for the mesh company as a consultant, promoter and trainer of other physicians. I imagine as far as putting mesh in, he was one of the best. But it isn’t about just the doctor. The mesh itself is defective. For me it not only vaginal pain, erosion, incontinence and so many related issues. It also caused a horrific autoimmune foreign body reaction. And even though the supposedly “complete removal” of mesh for my third mesh removal was supposed to “cure” me completely as stated by the explanting surgeon… it did not. At first there was definite relief as all the scar tissue was initially removed as well as most of the mesh. (he cited MASSIVE scar tissue throughout entire pelvis, damage to uretha with mesh eroding into it, three other erosions …. damage everyhwere)… But as I healed in the months following the last surgery… even more scar tissue than before developed because of the massive amount of dissection and internal stitches. He cut into my hip, my abdomen, vagina, pelvis, urethra, bladder, rectum… searching for every bit of mesh he could with no ultrasound to tell him where it was… just chopped away at all areas … and cut through tissue, organs, and nerves… so yeah.. my mesh probably is gone. or at least most of it and yes.. there is improvement in vaginal pain. But the autoimmune issues continue. The fatigue. NEW issues with defacation and rectal pain, bladder spasms and INCREASED incontiinence and retention and bladder pain. The real improvement.. that makes me say it was worth it to get that mesh removed is I am no longer 24/7 stuck to the couch with heating pains and/or sitting on a frozen bag of peas… depending on where the pain was and what kind I was having that day. I have nerve damage as well. But what has changed is a boost in my immune system. It is still messed up… BUT after mesh implant, even a small cut would always last weeks, become infected and take forever to heal. My white cell count always elevated. My body always fighting so hard to expel the mesh that all my immune resources initially went there and then when they couldn’t expel the mesh, got confused somehow and started attacking my body, instead of healing it. Now when I get a cut? It heals rapidly. And that is likely why I was able to survive the life threatening postop infection. It would have killed me pre-explant, I am sure. But the autoimmiune conditions such as pulmonary fibrosis and fibromyalgia that popped up after implants… they remain. And one of them will eventually kill me. So no amount is worth losing my health, my career, my source of income, my home of 17 years, my cognitive abilities, my ability to work at all… my inability to do many of the things I love so much without ongoing pain. The lower pain back, often a level 10, is still as intense as ever since the scar tissue returned. And now there is new pain that shoots down my leg. SO…. if I hadn’t had it removed… I would likely be much sicker and maybe even dead by now. Those meshes were in me for seven years. YES I am grateful it is gone and I will just deal with the after effects. I knew going into that surgery that it was complicated and dangerous. I just wish I had had the money to go to California to see Dr at UCLA… I have a feeling the postop complication would have not been so much. $40,000 settlement is a slap in the face and doesnt come close to what I have spent on medical treatment, supplies, diapers, cathers, medications…. Me and thousands of others. But even if I had a choice between a 100 billion dollar settlement … or being very very poor the rest of my days but mesh free from the beginning … I would choose being poor and never ever having made the horrible mistake of having the supposedly “safe” meshes put in. I would simply had the same treatment my mom had… the Burch (sp?) procedure. But my gynecologist said my case was too complicated and referred me to a urogynecologist who specialized in the best and newest treatment that has ruined our health and stolen so so much from us… transvaginal mesh. I do now what we all must do…. hope and pray for the best… wish for justice… and find a way to live life the best we can with what the mesh has left to us… appreciating what is still good…. counting what blessing we have (such as that amazing ilttle granddaughter)… and trying to find joy in everyday no matter how much pain or disability… it is what it is…. some of it cannot be changed. At least for me. So dwelling on it is pointless and I try not to… instead focusing on what I CAN do instead of what I cannot and trying to be grateful for the good days. God bless you all. Love and best wishes for improved health in the future however possible to everyone. Keep the faith. Concentrate on what is good in your life and hang in there my mesh-injured sisters. We are strong … we will survive.

30. addison says:

Facing such a battle must be difficult, Jane. This is unfortunate and unfair. How many people can pay $400+ per appointment (out-of-pocket expense) when many visits are recommended or necessary? We couldn’t cover 10% of my care, prescriptions and over-the-counter items. Even with good insurance through my husband’s employer, we struggle and owe thousands. How can you possibly do or be expected to do more than you are? We’ve seen several of your posts and hoped to help–so sorry for not realizing that your insurance doesn’t cover the appointments and procedures you desperately need.

• kitty says:

ADDISON… I noticed you always say “we”. Who is “we”? You had mentioned that your daughter had m esh

IS SHE DOING OK?

• addison says:

Kitty, my wife is going through this. Thanks for asking about her. We appreciate the articles and comments but hadn’t posted before a week or two ago, figured it was ok to ask Hal since he welcomed questions and fine to post on a couple things. A few in our family have commented – sorry for the confusion. That was my wife earlier today.

• kitty says:

Ok u are a nice husband. I thought u were a woman sorry

• addison says:

I understand, thanks Kitty. We kept the same name and email up – sorry for confusion posting under one. Those comments to Jane R. yesterday were from my wife. She looks here most weeks now with me or when she can’t sleep, and a few family and friends read some articles. We saw Mr. Lewis accepting questions so those are first online comments. My wife also wanted to talk with a couple women to see if she could help, unsure what to write though. Sorry for the ‘we’ confusion, and have a great day.

31. Jane R says:

Yea my hospital, doctor, test bills were over $12,000 last year. We paid $4,000 and insurance paid the rest.

Physical therapy, MRI, EMG, xrays, lab work. I finally got a diagnosis of myofacial pain in my hip. Anxiety and insommnia. Got the diagnosis but not a statement from the doctor saying how my life is affected by all of this. So I wait.

Yes Jane Akre if you don’t go to the doctor you are not sick. As we know, you can’t go to Urgent Care with mesh problems. Regular MDs don’t want to touch you. You have to see a specialist. Or at least a gyn. Once there is such damage you really need a pelvic floor expert.

The hospital does have a helped me with a payment plan for all the deductibles. I called them when I didn’t have insurance and they said go to your appointment and then file for financial assistance with them. But they wouldn’t tell me what they could help with. Had I been able to go, I might not have all the problems I do now.

• addison says:

You are in our thoughts and prayers. I wish we could help you somehow. If only the private insurance covered a higher percentage so you could get more of the care you need. This is where Medicare can help you, and we hope your next hearing is the last hearing. I’m sorry, Jane, are you the one who mentioned being unable to have a full recommended removal because of the dangers? I can’t remember if it’s you or Zoggy facing this.

• addison says:

To owe $4,000 out of pocket for $12,000 must be difficult, too. It needs to be recognized that you are doing all you can both physically and financially. We owe more than we can pay, but insurance has paid over $300,000 for my care. What we’ve paid and still owe along with anxiety about my future, especially the toll on my family, makes every day more difficult. I have to be thankful for the care received and bills covered thus far. I’m just so sorry to hear about your constant applications and hearings and all you must pay each time you see a doctor. Keep praying and thinking good thoughts although so hard.

32. Summer says:

Jane,

This is the first time in 5 years that I’ve had insurance. Have I had issues? Yes. I have been in a lot of pain, both mental and physical, and someone wants to say there is nothing wrong we me. It’s been constant prayer that has keep me going and being able to connect and relate to the women here on this website.

As a matter of fact, had my first doctors appointment on Monday, and he’s talking about surgery, as he suggested 5 years ago.

33. Jane R says:

SSDI wants you in treatment, doped up and crippled. Sorry but true. They gave me so many meds.

Cymbalta, Lycria, Savella, Tramadone, etc. Not at the same time but nothings working for pain.

Thanks for all your support. I hope we all see some good news this year,

34. Diane Elliott says:

IF YOU DON’T GO TO THE DR. YOU AREN’T SICK! It is the same old story, see one dr. Who refers you to another, another etc. Then test after test, then prescriptionsssssss, because obviously you are depressed or you wouldn’t be having all these ailments.Or if you don’t take& request refills then you are a difficult patient. It’s like pounding sand, being heard by deaf ears I could go on &on .I gave up on traditional medicine because it’s all aboutmasking the problem, not fixing it. Frankencrotch I hear your pain, I pray for each and every one of us. Greed is a nasty business, we have to continue to PRAY FOR THE STRENGTH TO FIGHT THE FIGHT! EVENTUALLY OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD! THERE ARE ALREADY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE!

35. She went ziplining. So what? Even at theme parks, there is an entrance for physically disabled people to ride a roller coaster. She cannot go ziplining because she is internally disabled? I can tell you this: (a) she had to take pain medication; (b) she had to empty her bladder before ziplining; (c) she leaked into a pad the entire time she went ziplining; (d) after exiting the ride, she had to empty her bladder and change her pad.

She went on vacation. So what? A personal who is internally disabled cannot go on vacation?

This is ludicrous.

This was basically all the defense had so they went with it. Will the jury see that as well? Monday perhaps we will see a verdict.