Second June Rally of Pelvic Mesh-Injured Women and Families Planned for June in Charleston, WV *Update

Mesh Awareness Movement in Charleston, WV, June 2015

Mesh Awareness Movement in Charleston, WV, June 2015

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, May 7, 2016 ~ Just as they did last June, organizers of mesh-injured women want the public to know a rally is planned for Charleston, West Virginia on Friday, June 3, 2016.

That day should mark the beginning of Edwards v. Ethicon in federal court before Judge Joseph Goodwin.

*Update- from Judge Goodwin’s court- Edwards v. Ethicon has been rescheduled again and is now set for Friday, August 12, 2016 for jury selection and Monday, August 15, the trial.  it is set to go one week. Stay tuned to MAM for an update on the rally.*

The defendant corporation is Ethicon, a division of Johnson & Johnson, the manufacturer facing the largest number of mesh cases consolidated in this federal court among seven manufacturers.

Last June 2, Mesh Awareness Movement (MAM) brought women and their families from Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and beyond to join in solidarity and send a message that pelvic mesh should not be allowed to continue to injure unsuspecting women and that mesh manufacturers need to financially care for the women they’ve harmed.

A dinner is planned June 2, Thursday, with the rally beginning 8 am Friday morning in front of the Robert C. Byrd federal courthouse.

Anti Mesh rally in WV federal court. June 2015

Anti Mesh rally in WV federal court. June 2015

“Exciting” is what women told Mesh News Desk last year. All of the television stations were here and we will be featured on their noon news.  Finally we are getting the attention we deserve and the message is getting out,” said organizer Lisa Mason.

Campaigner in WV     Pelvic mesh, used to shore up pelvic organs, was never approved for safety or efficacy by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Instead it was approved by the FDA 510(k) approval process that does not require any clinical trials. Assurances of safety rely on the integrity of the manufacturer.

Husband protests

Husband protests at Mesh rally, Charleston, WV, June 2, 2015

Litigation was consolidated in federal court in Charleston by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation in January 2012.

Since then, seven manufacturers now face more than 90,000 lawsuit alleging they sold defective transvaginal mesh which was promoted to doctors as part of an aggressive, yet deceptive campaign. The plaintiffs allege defective manufacturing instructions to doctors and a breach of warranty, negligence, fraud, and more.  They are asking for punitive damages.

MAM rally participant, June 2, 2015

MAM rally participant, June 2, 2015

Only American Medical Systems (AMS) has offered mass settlements to women, though many women tell MND their settlement amount is as low as $5,000 after legal fees are paid and any existing liens.

As of April 27, 2016, there were 90,131 cases consolidated in the Charleston court before Judge Goodwin, the largest mass tort ever assembled in one courtroom. They include:

C.R. Bard        13,429

AMS                20,155

Boston Sci      20,830

Ethicon           32,672

Plaintiffs' lawyers filing into Charleston court.

Plaintiffs’ lawyers filing into Charleston court.

Coloplast          2,425

Cook                    487

Neomedic           133

LEARN MORE:

Edwards v. Ethicon – Doc #1 Complaint Ethicon

Soon to  be scheduled, Mullins Et al (Case No. 2:12-cv-02952) Mullins case 37 plaintiffs,

Mullins complaint,July 11, 2012, U.S. District Court, Southern District WV

Announcement:  MAM Rally Charleston, WV. June 3, 2016, Federal Court, 37 Johnson & Johnson Transvaginal Mesh cases, 8 am EST federal courthouse.

Please Please come support our Mesh Sisters Peaceful Rally. We Need To Stand Up Together. Be Blessed

MND, June 2, 2015 Rally event

1. Tammy Ky says:

Thank you so much Jane. Ladies….please try to make this Rally. If your not able please pray for the ladies cases and us Rallying. You will be with us in Spirit. The Rally we had June 2015 was amazing, meeting our sisters and standing together lifted our spirits. Please Please car pool , bus , pray and try to make this Rally. HUGS….xxoo

2. Heather (OH) says:

I will certainly try to be there. It was so nice to meet such a wonderful group of ladies last year in WV I felt blessed to be with woman that understood me. Thank Jane!

3. Alice says:

We will b there God willing! !! Love my mesh sisters! !!

4. K says:

Will you be in the courtroom? What is the plan? How many days is everyone staying and where?

5. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

I will be there! Ladies and Gentleman please bring friends and family members to help show support. The more the better, This trial will set the presidence for future trials. If this case and the plaintiffs lose we may as well kiss our own cases goodbye. LAST STAND, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN.

6. Lisa (Florida) says:

I will be there! Please join us if at all possible and share in the love and support. I can’t stress enough just how important this peaceful rally is and the impact it makes, both emotionally and for raising awareness “NO MORE MESH!”

I look forward to seeing my mesh sisters there and sharing lots of hugs and love! If anyone needs help getting there,please contact me. I’m working on car pool connections! I also applied for our permit.

• carol says:

Lisa,

I am interested in making this rally in support of the mesh sisters. If you will, please e-mail information for local hotels near the rally with address to the court house. The last rally I could not attend. Seeing this posted early gives me time to make preparations to be present and accounted for. I am entering my eleventh year dealing with this mesh ordeal, waiting anxiously to hear some kind of reason why. I hope you receive this email !

Carol

• magali says:

hi lisa,

My name is magali and i live in chicago. Im also one of the unlucky ladies that got the mesh that is taking my life away little by little each day, I would love to attend the rally. Do you have anyone going over there from chicago? please let me know.

7. Brenda says:

Iam going threw a mesh problem.TVT was put in the month of november2014.i send angel your way.fight for what you deserve.and other people.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

mesh is enough save our health. M is for mesh E for enough s for save H for health…

8. Brenda says:

Sorry not able to attend.iam from canada.i going to have this tvt removed.iam scared.i not able to work and see my kids .list goes on.pain killers is now part of my life.i been diagnosed with fibromylgia.and prolap of bowel and lots of symtoms.and condtions of my body is going down hill.i hope iam in good hands with the doctor thats removing this tvt.i was told so.i just i hsd my life back.money is so tight.i feel such a failure in my marriage.cant help with bring in money.healthcare aide iam.i miss working..nit able to have sex.we all know how thst impacts on our husband or boyfriend.list goes on.how it effect us and others.Good luck to you all. I hope we not going be judged for WHERE WE LIVE when it comes to compsation.

9. Brenda says:

Sorry not able to attend.iam from canada.i going to have this tvt removed.iam scared.i not able to work and see my kids .list goes on.pain killers is now part of my life.i been diagnosed with fibromylgia.and prolap of bowel and lots of symtoms.and condtions of my body is going down hill.i hope iam in good hands with the doctor thats removing this tvt.i was told so.i just wish i have my life back.money is so tight.i feel such a failure in my marriage.a mother daughter sister aunty friend worker.cant help with bring in money.healthcare aide iam.i miss working..not able to have sex.we all know how thst impacts on our husband or boyfriend.list goes on.how it effect us and others.Good luck to you all. I hope we not going be judged for WHERE WE LIVE when it comes to compsation.

10. kitty says:

Mamohio– will contact u soon

Depending on where u live in Ohio I may be able to come. I don’t know if I can drive that far by myself. I will see if my husband might go with me. How far are u from Chicago?

• MAMOHIO (sad & discouraged) says:

@kitty let me asap. I will take my Mom if you decide to bring Hubby. Not sure how long court sessions usually last, Jane do you know est? It will depend if I take my Mom or not. @kitty I live 5 hours from Chicago, almost center of Ohio. @ Brenda, we all are having similar or the same problems. I would really suggest you go to FB Mesh Awareness Movement and talk to other women before you go thru total removal. Get educated, doctors experience, what complications might incur, not trying to scare you but removal decisions need to be really thought thru so you don’t end up worse. I will never do anything until I absolutely have to and the doctor is experienced with a lot of removals and I talk to his clients. Be educated don’t let them use you for their own training or $$$ or a guinea pig like they have, make sure it is an experienced dr and close by. Talk to other removal patients first and ask them what kind of mesh they had, what mfg, what drs, what locations, what complications or suggestions. Just a thought! Good luck and hold your head up high, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG!

Usually 8:30 or 9am till 5, earlier if the weather is bad or a jurors has another appointment. etc.

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@Jane thank you for the time during the day. I am wondering how long in days? I need to reserve my room and bring some family members but not sure how many days We will be there or an estimated time in days. Do they last a week? Few days? Weeks? I don’t know but I want to prepare to stay and support the 37 plaintiffs. We shoukd all try to be there if possible. This is a very important case for us to be heard and support these victims. We all are victims but may never see the courtroom. Its important that we fill the courtroom and BE SEEN.

11. Nanny Bug says:

Anyone from from Alabama wanna go ? I agree strength comes in numbers !!!! I had two TVT ‘s in 2009 within 3 months I could tell my troubles had began !! 4 surgeries later since 2011 & home bound this just may be the one trip I really need to insure . As long as a rest room is near !!!! I hurt no matter where I am. This is one last thing I can do for others and myself !!

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

I HOPE EVERYONE IS THINKING LIKE YOU @Nanny Bug. This just may be our biggest stand yet? @Jane and @ Lisa have the news people from last time been contacted and can anyone make anymore contact so we can get our awareness front and center?

12. Brenda says:

Hi Mamohio thank you for time for your support I was told by the law firm to go ahead threw with the removal and do what i need to get done to get better.I mentioned to the law firm that having the TVT removed might not help the pain go away it might make it worse that iam.I up for a miracle having it out with no pain.My fears are, having TVT in any longer then it should be can cause other problems.Law firm understand that i have trust issues. i supose To trust the doctor. As mesh victims if we mention who are dr are and manufacture is can put us in hot water when on a class action. I thank you for your support.Put tears in my eyes knowing that iam not alone.I asked the dr office if i can get in sooner somewhere else.they told me if they were going send me somewhere it would be state side.Which comfirmed to me that what i was reading about not many dr does removals in canada is true.

I was told you cant belive everything you here on line. Ya right what my experince and symtom iam going threw i do belive what i here.thats how i got this far in beeing my own dr. To figure what the hell wrong with me.Do i have fibromyalgia or is it the TVT causing all these symtoms and fibromyagia symtoms.i like to know does TVT cause bowel prolap and hemorrhoids.now i got get those two things fixed. i was told once my bowel is fixed i should notice my hemorrhoids should clear up…Dr had mentioned that TVT is not the cause of my bowel prolap. I wonder.well i sure hope we all get compensated what we loss in our own lives.I herd US gets more being the fact medical coverage is different.

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@Brenda don’t be rushed into doing anything before jeopardizing your health. Go to the fb page and talk to others who have been in the same situation. Jane can help you get in touch with the right people, doctor’s???? Please don’t be blindsided again before you get educated in what is available. If you have to go to the States there’s plenty of mesh sisters in the States to help you out. God bless

13. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

How many women plan on staying the entire court sessions or just on opening day? A few days? Not sure what the presidence was at the last WV trial. Did everyone stay the entire time of just showed up the first day?

Generally I try to stay for about 5 days or so. I did stay for the entire Huskey trial and the conclusion was amazing and worth it!. Others may want to come for the closing arguments and the verdict. It is very exciting to hear a verdict….. truly.

14. kitty says:

Mamohio. I cant travel alone that far

I can get to O hare Or North Chicago suberb. I I have a car.

15. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@Kitty no problem be safe and see ya there!

16. Nanny Bug says:

I would love to go once again is anyone from Alabama going that would like to share a ride & room for the entire hearing ?

17. Nanny Bug says:

Jane Acre would you like to share a room & split cost ?

18. sandy says:

Status conference scheduled in WV for April 6&7.

19. Rhonda says:

I am planning on being there for opening day. I am looking forward to meeting others who have had to deal with all the bad things that we have. Coming from western Illinois and wondering if i should bring chairs, drinks etc. Praying that this will be a step closer for all of us to be able to get justice. After the removal of my sling i am better but will never be able to hold down a job again. I can not imagine having to go thru removal surgery more than once, have never had that much pain!! God Bless us all!

20. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@Rhonda you can go to Facebook Mesh Awareness Movement to get more info. Bring chairs, posters, cooler and drinks are fine we can all chip in. You can reserve a room at the Holiday Inn express which I believe is 2 blocks away from the courthouse. You can get a rate of $89 plus tax and mention Connie.304-345-0600. We are going to have a dinner Sunday night and be at the courthouse steps at 8am Apr 11 to have a rally and then sit in during the trial. Bring family and friends if you would like addl support. Thanks for support!

21. Tammy S Jackson says:

Thank you Jane, I’ll be there with Banner and Posters. If anyone needs help with carpools etc, Please PM me on FB or call 859-421-3998. We need to Stand TOGETHER Against MESH. If any Mesh Sisters needs picked up at bus station or Airport, let me know. Please if able plan on coming. Lots of Love Laughs and information available. Love my Mesh Sisters. Thanks again Jane…

Love your energy Tammy…..the feeling of unity is so cool when folks gather as we have ar trials before. Yeah!!!

22. David Andronica says:

Don’t understand its been 7 years and jj has really wrecked a family of 5..each day is pure he’ll and you guys can’t even do the right thing cause of money..how much is someones life worth?? How about a whole family?. What about the years we missed are 3 kids grow up?.. because u changed it all…now I’m husband trying to patch these lives the best I can…why won’t u do the right thing?????

23. MayoOhio says:

Wrecked my life too,, I never realized until now that all my injuries from mesh was really real and that others lots of other ladies has the same injuries as me, I was hurt very badly and still have issues after having two surgeries to try and repair it. Will it ever go away? I’m seriously thinking it will never be gone, having to live another 40+ years with this is not want I’m looking forward too.

24. Bejah says:

I do not know if it is the new website design but I do not have comment boxes with many articles and wonder why.

I wanted to add something a little off topic but important. Do not give your animals any treats that are made in China.

Bejah

Bejah..I wonder why too….. do you have an older browser? I dont know… please let me know and I will inquire if the specs work with this site…..