Pain for Profit Alleges AMS and Reuters

//Pain for Profit Alleges AMS and Reuters

Pain for Profit Alleges AMS and Reuters

Rep. Bob Goodlatte

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, March 20, 2017 ~ Women Undergo Pain for Profit?  Those are the allegations of Reuters writer, Alison Frankel who writes a column ‘On the Case’ for Reuters.

Alison Frankel writes On the Case for for Reuters.  On March 13 she writes about Rep. Bob Goodlatte, a Virginia Republican who wants to stop the aggressive marketing by personal injury attorneys, the same folks who advertise for injured mesh clients through late night television ads with 800 numbers.

Many women at trial have told juries that was the first indication they had that their numerous complications might be linked to their pelvic mesh implant after doctors routinely denied there could be any link.

Here is her story.

The legislator sent letters to American Bar Association and to each state bar and the District of Columbia. Here is a press release urging common sense reforms be imposed on trial attorneys.

The representative also sent a letter to the Relion Group which places those tv advertisements.

The article cites the 1977 Bates v. State Bar of Arizona that cites the First Amendment which allows lawyers to advertise for personal injury clients.

Frankel and her reporting partner once focused on pelvic mesh and specifically American Medical Systems which launched an aggressive inquiry into mass tort lead generators. Specifically, according to AMS attorneys,

Law Firm HQ improperly solicited clients to file mesh claims and worked with a medical funding outfit to lure mesh plaintiffs into unnecessary surgery in order to obtain bigger settlements.”

Without citing an example, other than because AMS says so, Frankel lets this column stand.

Here is her previous news on how women were “lured into needless surgeries.”

Here is a MND story on  what AMS alleges.

Rep. Goodlatte wants to know how plaintiffs and law firms work with Relion and is asking for copies of the company’s active contracts with plaintiffs’ lawyers.

As a member of the House Judiciary Committee, he’s given the Relion executive to respond by March 21.  Stay tuned. ###

By | 2017-03-27T10:23:23+00:00 March 20th, 2017|Media Reports|14 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. daniee March 20, 2017 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Seriously, Let’s have your wife or may be a sister or daughter , to get this “marvelous devise” implanted, and I bet Mr. Goodlatte your opinion in this issue will change. The mesh is a failed product. THE WHOLE MESH CONCEPT IS A MESS

2. daniee March 20, 2017 at 2:35 pm - Reply

This devise-product-concept is a weapon of mass destruction.

3. Kitty March 21, 2017 at 3:19 am - Reply

The way I see it .. Mr.Goodlette et al. sees us as prostitutes and the advertising lawyers as pimps. THE JOHNS WOULD BE THE DOCS that remove.

4. Anon March 21, 2017 at 11:24 am - Reply

The answers to my questions after dialing that 800 # gave me a piece of mind and ultimately saved my life.

5. Patient Advocate March 21, 2017 at 11:42 am - Reply

Maybe each woman could write him about the life altering harm of AMS mesh.

• Kitty March 22, 2017 at 7:22 am - Reply

No doubt he is a deaf empty suited stiff

• claudia L March 30, 2017 at 3:58 pm - Reply

unfortunately I live in Florida with a case since 2013 and with a ridiculous offers and 3 surgeries and the 4 is coming my attorney Lieff Cabraser after the offer they have been changing the paralegals and i don”t get news from them just ones a year

6. Mart March 23, 2017 at 12:35 pm - Reply

This guy doesn’t know the half of what’s going on he acts like the money for these claims are coming out of his pocket how about someone takes his scrotum and put them in a bunch of mesh and see how he would feel after constant pain and repeating infections

7. joni lejeune May 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm - Reply

I have had and mesh since 2004. it has destroyed my life . period. me and my husband separated for 13yrs.because I can’t have sex. it is too painful.

8. Concerned citizen May 8, 2017 at 10:19 am - Reply

Public information about failed medical devices, and answers to questions that you need to know as a consumer about such medical devices should never be wrong. To obtain medical procedures as advised by a Doctor to repair problems caused by such medical devises is the legal right of the consumer. The funding for such procedures, how ever the consumer can find and obtain through third party funding that is not a law firm representing a client should never be a problem to anyone. The quality of life for the injured consumers should be the utt most concern for all involved. Any politically motivated persons using this subject as a platform to look stately as a savior to the corporations that back there campaign funds should be brought to light and let the voters know the truth about where that individual stand ( for the corporations or the people AKA the consumers).

9. D macs July 9, 2017 at 9:24 pm - Reply

The attorneys that are supposed to be representing us are raping us of our money from these lawsuits… don’t bother accepting the lawsuit… they take 60% or more

• Jane Akre July 10, 2017 at 1:37 pm - Reply

D- please let me know what you are referring to, some examples would be helpful. I would write about them and omit your names to protect you.

10. Sue February 14, 2018 at 6:54 pm - Reply

I have had 4 mesh related surgeries to get the damaging, painful product out of me. I was not coaxed. My reputable urologist could see the mess the mesh had made for me. My last surgery was 8.5 hours long. It was thought it would be 4. Other surgeons had to come in to assist. My stomach was cut open. Wide open so they could work behind the pubic bone. I went through hell in recovery. I was stuck upstairs in my home for 2 weeks bevause I couldn’t use the stairs. My surgeon met me at her office for pain issues late at night. I also ended up with nerve damage.
    I didn’t doctor shop. I couldn’t urinate after the mesh was put in. I lived in pain because no one knew what to do.
    After this last, long surgery, I ended up on caths for life. There’s so much scarring due to how deep the mesh ripped into my tissue.
    Don’t you dare call people like me crooked. I did nothing wrong. My doctor is thought of as one of the best in her field.
    My life was changed. You try using caths at 51. It sucks…in countless ways.

• Jane Akre February 15, 2018 at 5:14 pm - Reply

I’m sorry Sue. would love to know who your expert doctor was… you can send me privately janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com.

It sounds like you need to see an expert concerning removals. I hope you did though they should not have damaged your nerves. if you want the name of another expert write me.