*New* Ultrasound is the Best Imaging for Pelvic Mesh Issues

Am J of Ob Gyn

Am J of Ob Gyn

Imaging of pelvic symptoms is best addressed with ultrasound as the first choice, according to a recently published article in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

This has long been the contention of experts in mesh removals and complications and supports the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine initiative called Ultrasound First. It urges ultrasound over CT Scans (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance image) for many examinations, particularly obstetric and gynecologic patients.

Mesh removal expert, Dr. Shlomo Raz of UCLA, who has removed more than 900 transvaginal meshes over the last several years promotes the use of ultrasound in “seeing” the mesh.  Background story here.

Healthday report (here)  the researchers warn the use of a CT scan may pose a risk of cancer. That has not slowed the fact that CT scans use has tripled in the last 20 years. It’s estimated 29,000 future cancers may have their genesis from the CT scan which uses radiation.  Half of those predicted cancers are in the pelvic area.

CT scans are typically used to detect kidney stones and undiagnosed pelvic pain, though the images are often of a lesser quality.  Ultrasound uses waves, not radiation.  Ultrasound offers a less invasive, less expensive and the most informative image.

The lead author, Dr. Beryl Benacerraf, is head of ob/gyn and reproductive biology and radiology at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.   #

Learn More:

Consider Ultrasound First for Imaging the Female Pelvis, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, March 31, 2015

Ultrasound “Sees” the Mesh, Mesh News Desk, July 2014

1. Kitty says:

Dr. Raz rules!

2. Kitty says:

Why o why o why do so many uro/gyns and urologogists refuse to do a translabial ultra sound when you ask them for the test?

3. ann says:

Is a translabial ultrasound the same as a tranvaginal ultrasound?

4. kitty says:

That is really a good question Ann

There is a difference

I believe they use Trans

labia to check lower pelvis. I don’t know what Dr Raz uses

• Disgusted says:

Dr. Raz uses translabial ultrasound. He and his technician invented it. He wanted a way to figure out how to see mesh and just went in and experimented with it, until they figured out what worked. We need a whole lot more Dr.’s and professionals who are like this!!

• Disgusted says:

Transvaginal ultrasound is where the ultrasound wand is inserted into the vagina to see the pelvic organs. Translabial ultrasound is where the wand is put on or near the labia and the vaginal opening. It doesn’t go into the vagina. Because it is near the opening it can see the urethra and organs that are not in the deeper pelvis. I hope this helps!!

5. ann says:

When I told my GYN of all my issues she send me for a transvaginal ultrasound. After three transvaginal ultrasound in the last three years, I decided to speak to an the ultrasound doctor. Amazed with the way she explained to me that the transvaginal ultrasound did now show the meshes that were implanted on me. She also, told me that yes the translabial ultrasound probably will show the mesh. Now I understand why nothing in my reports said anything about the meshes. How could we give our correct medical issues to our lawyers, when doctors are not even sending us for the proper testing. The worse part is that a big hospital dont even have procedure codes or doctors to read translabial exams.

6. kitty says:

Thanks to all this is valuable info

7. ahmed says:

My name is Ahmed,i have been married to Robyn. She suffered from poor health while

we were together which caused her to do six surgical operations followed the main operation.

The main operation was removing her transvaginal mesh, but because of wrong doing in the operations room,

my wife had to go through a long treatment therapy and multiple surgeries which affected my life as well.

Supporting my wife during that time hurt me emotional and financial.

My wife had a sympathy with me and told me by e-mail that she will give me half of what she is getting as a compensation

from the wrong doing doctor case.

My wife recently denied any rights for me and broke her promis and i think i deserve some compensation for

the damages i have in my life…sincerely Ahmed aaaaaaaa

8. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

Although very painful due to the wand being presses into very sensitive scar tissue, the only real “view” of my mesh was done with Ultra-Sound. The procedure was done standing and laying down and took just over an hour. I had to try and distend by abdomen, putting pressure down on it which, to say the least hurt. But you could see the intestine being held back by the Kugel Patch, thereby confirming that the Mesh was still in place and that I did not have another Hernia. No MRI nor X-ray can do this to the extent and clear identification of not only the Mesh but all the scar tissue, swelling, fluid etc.. It was painful but it was the only way and the only time that I had complete reassuance that the Mesh was still intact.

9. Dottie says:

is there a list by state of radiology centers that know how to do translabial sonograms the proper way??