*New* New Brunswick Today Covers J&J Upcoming Shareholders Meeting

State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ, Locations of this year's shareholder's meeting.

State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ, Locations of this year’s shareholder’s meeting.

Thanks to reporter David Schatz of New Brunswick Today for the reminder about next week’s Johnson & Johnson shareholder’s meeting.

Included in the story is a link to Mesh News Desk and coverage of those We Are Mesh Survivors members who attended last year’s event at the Hyatt Regency, directly across from J&J headquarters.

Three women made it inside to speak directly to J&J CEO Alex Gorsky before hundreds of shareholders.

Linda Wilcox spoke of her life since a Prolift implant and her dim prognosis. Gay Courter, a mesh survivor, reminded Mr. Gorsky that a company that enjoys the consumer-friendly reputation of  Johnson & Johnson needs to rethink its medical device division that produces polypropylene transvaginal mesh.

Linda Wilcox and Gay Courter addressing J&J CEO Alex Gorsky, April 24, 2014

Linda Wilcox and Gay Courter addressing J&J CEO Alex Gorsky, April 24, 2014

A number of news stories about the mesh-injured women were generated, primarily by Associated Press reporter Linda Johnson, which were picked up by numerous other publications.

Huffington Post’s Alyona Minkovski provided coverage as well (here) interviewing your editor and Estelle Tasz, a mesh survivor.   (The interview is 5 minutes in).

Those of us present noted the presence of fully equipped state troopers and their snarling German Shepherds which stood in sharp contrast to the dozen or so women, many using canes to help them walk, who flew or drove to New Brunswick. The We Are Mesh Survivors members did not appear to be intimidated.

Even a firebomb was exploded during the gathering, allegedly by law enforcement, which may have been set as a possible diversion if necessary.

Alex Gorsky, Nov. 2011

Alex Gorsky, Nov. 2011

Outside placards were set up to greet the bus loads of people who are invested in the company.

The night before a Light Brigade shone a message on J&J headquarters. See the video produced by FitzGibbon media! Here.

Teresa Sawyer

Theresa Sawyer

Those present called for a Senate investigation into J&J for the destruction of hundreds of thousands of pages of  mesh-related documents that were supposed to be held for upcoming litigation.

Here is a Mesh News Desk story from last year.

New Brunswick, NJ April 2014

New Brunswick, NJ April 2014

Johnson & Johnson is the largest producer of polypropylene transvaginal mesh implants used to treat prolapse and incontinence. In federal court in West Virginia, where cases are consolidated in multidistrict litigation, J&J has more than 25,000 cases filed. See the numeric count here.

This year’s shareholder’s meeting has been moved to a new venue, at the historic State Theatre in New Brunswick.

The last time that occurred was in 1989.  The shareholders annual meeting has been shortened from nearly two hours last year to just one hour.

Forget the free lunch and gift bags for attendees as well.

Here is his story.

Schatz reports a webcast will be aired live. No doubt Mr. Gorsky will talk about First Quarter earnings for J&J. See story here.

The J&J Annual Shareholders Meeting will be held April 23rd at 10 am. The State Theater is located at 15 Livingstone Ave, New Brunswick, NJ 08901.  Phone: (732) 246-7469.

1. MAMOH says:

Is anyone attending?

2. MeshSad says:

Holy heck! I sooooo wish I could be there!

3. Sarah Zastrow says:

If I didn’t just gave surgery and the expense it cost to go to UCLA because no doctor here could remove the eroded mesh I would be there! Thanks to the wonderful people who are representing the thousands of us hurt by this awful product!

• Abandoned says:

Sara, was your surgery successful? What type of implant did you have removed? Praying you have a perfect recovery. God Bless.

4. Doris Dalbey says:

I will be going to New Brunswick N.J. Leaving from Philadelphia If anyone needs a ride

• Terri says:

Doris Dalbey , If at all possible.. I am going to also try to attend, if it’s for the day maybe we can ride together.. I will message you with my number.. be sure to check your “other” folder if you don’t see a message from me.

5. Is anyone from Alabama attending ?

6. Terri says:

Jane, I have been out of the loop for awhile. With sickness a course. Was catching up with the mesh world. Reading these devastating stories of victims just breaks my heart.I have been there and know all that is said to be truth.I also know what lies ahead for most of the injured for I am in my 11th year of mesh disaster. The first thought that comes to mind is what the hell is wrong with our government? How could this be happening ? And the world not know? Crazy to say the least Percy Sledge, whom I love, got more coverage yesterday than mesh has gotten period with the exception of the attorney fueled ads.

I had a thought this morning and wanted to share. Although the injured have been told to remain quite regarding their injuries. Maybe its time to go public. Set up a Go Fund me page. Tell their stories just as they have here. The world is full of good decent generous people who love to help others in need. Not only is financial help available. If enough victims flood the sight this plight will get some of the recognition it deserves. Sure the attorney’s will be pissed. Yet they are not the ones suffering. At the rate, cases are being settled. Sadly most will die or be beyond a settlement making a difference in their day to day lives. That sounds harsh I know. But that is the reality of mesh. No doubt my life is ending. With Gods Grace I have accepted that. Still I long to help the others like me in anyway I can. My heart and many Prayers are there for you all. Consider my suggestion. Let the good people of this world know what has happened. Let them help!!

• Terri says:

Jane, if you will or can you correct my typo’s . THANKS

Terri- I certainly hope you are wrong about the demise of many. BTW- You cannot get in unless you are a stockholder of J&J and I think you had to connect with them in advance. You can certainly be outside the theater on a public sidewalk though. And meet and greet those coming in.

• Shirley says:

Yeah Terri I agree I too am in my 11th year and I been told to keep quite because what I say can and may be held against me but it`s time to take a stand because they are not seeing the big picture of so many women being injured for they claim only eight too ten percent have complained of being injured after being implanted. What they don`t realize is no doctors wouls listen not in the ER or a regular doctor or the one whom implanted the products. They claimed that it was all in your mind yet they couldn`t explain the bleeding coming from your urine sample and they blamed scar tissue as the cause of your vaginal pain. The doctors are in ca-hoots with the manufacturers I am a believer of that. All they wanna do is push meds more and more and then you find that one doc who is honest and tells you there is no complete removal of mesh because of High risk of more nerve dammage or increase in bleeding from the bladder. It`s a shame I cannot attend I don`t have the finances and don`t know if I can take the trip. Thank You too Jane and also those who voice and protest for all mesh victims from the bottom of my heart I really Thank You so much.

• jennifer says:

Very true. I go and see a doctors may 6th. The mesh is now through my vagina wall. I know I shouldn’t have this 3rd surgery and is going to do more damage but what am I suppose to do. So tired of the burning, not being able to pee and when I do go pee is all over myself. I am just so sad.

Jennifer- you need to see a mesh explant expert, not some one who will do a partial excision. Please shop around….. make sure a good portion of their practice is dealing with complications…and removals, if necessary.

• MAMOH says:

My attorney said we have the right to freedom of speech and he sees nothing wrong about us having a peaceful gathering. If we don’t want tto talk then just be present. Its our right!

7. anonymous says:

I agree that being quite has done nothing to get our cases heard or settle any sooner. But will our attorneys stop representing us if we do go public. I am glad there are people going to J&J share holders meetings. But what about AMS and Bard and all the others? I live in the state not far from AMS corporate office. I just realized today they have offices all over the world. But what about protesting in Minnesota at the AMS office. I am sure there could be a TV station convinced to come there and interview people. Is any one near there that could go? I am at the point I don’t care if I have to take extra pain meds to get there. I am sick and tired of being told that AMS is settling. 4 years now and no results what so ever. Meanwhile I have to decide do I eat supper tonight or pay my electric bill. I am sick of tired of not having enough money even to get my car fixed.

But I have another question for you Jane and any attorney that might want to add their opinion. DO THESE PROTEST OR SHOULD I SAY GATHERINGS REALLY DO ANYTHING AT ALL. I know there have been other gatherings and nothing seems to have happened. What the hell can we do to get these people going on these settlements!! I am at a lose if they do not help. Then we just have to wait and wait and wait. I am sure glad the attorneys and the judges have money to live on. If it was them waiting I bet these cases would have been settled by now. So can someone one give me insight. Because if I thought parking my sorry disabled in pain fanny out side of the AMS building would help my case to be settled sooner I would be there one way or another. I am desperate and each day that goes by I get more and more desperate and hopeless. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!

8. I would love to be there but I am traveling to St Louis to see Dr Veronikus that very day. Kind of ironic that I am seeing a specialist to remove the Prolift that johnson and johnson never put through FDA till 2 yrs after I was implanted and they are there talking about how much they made for the year.Sad really.

9. justme says:

“They” will harass you and force you to close down your gofundme page.

10. kitty says:

Where are we meeting and what time? June 2

11. MAMOH says:

Remember when all the stars raised money by doing you tube dare videos with the ice water? That seemed to have a bid impact? I suggested a you tube video that we all do on the same day. Like July 13 (Fda announcement in 2011). I have suggested rallies at WV in March, offered to pay for signs, buttons, reserved, etc at what little money I have left. Offered to meet in Ohio and pickup some women on the way. NOT ONE RESPONSE. I tried a rally started a meet up page and plans to rally at capitol in Columbus. 2 women responded but then we decided to do a FB page. So I close my account and join FB. Thank you Lisa but J& J and other attorney’s are monitoring so be careful what you say and pictures posted. They will use it against you. J & J will be years before they settle. AMS is supposed to be this year but it wont be much and will not make us and our marriages whole again. NOTHING WILL. If Lisa is heading up the FB page then I suggest we all follow her request. Too many people want to be on the bus but no one driving. THATS WHY NO ONE IS TAKING US SERIOUS. We are all sick and in pain but doing nothing will get us nothing. I will do whatever Lisa request but there has to be a plan. I tried but little to no feedback just continued complaining. I am not trying to be mean but lets join together and support Lisa and Jane. I think the video we can all do on the same day is not too much to ask. I think July 13 shoukd be the day for each of us to tell our story. Go to NJ if allowed still haven’t heard if we are allowed in. Go to WV in June or Aug. But for our own sake do something all together. It has to be in numbers!!!!!

• Bejah says:

I have sadly noticed the same thing. Very courageous of you to lay out the truth, the challenge. In part the difficulty is of course the medical condition of the mesh wounded people, the other is financial, and there is the matter of will because the Depression that comes with all this can leave us unable to function on many levels. We must try harder. I do not understand why we can not organize regionally or by county or state or city and we have the Internet to help us. We do we not have local support groups…we seem to have none of this. Complaining or venting is something we need to be able to do but we can and must do more. Complaining will get us no where. Why do we not organize on a wider scale, why, why, why????

• Abandoned says:

Does anyone have friends or family in Austin, TX that could come to my house and help me make a utube video?

• MAMOH says:

Its very simple, just go to youtube.com Any neighborhood kid or if you have young children they could help but it is very simple. Just go there and try it. I appreciate you trying!

12. Angry says:

Ladies never forget WE did nothing wrong. Standing in front of a share holders meeting is NOT a crime. Sorry but I really feel that the cases that most of these lawyers have under their belts are going to be settled just like a class action which it is not. These injuries are personal injury and serious ones. Things are moving way to slow and it this rate a large majority of us may not even be around at this pace. By doing what we were told by saying nothing for so long, look where it got us after all these years. Injured, made fools of and kicked in the face.

13. karen says:

ALEX GORSKY CEO OF JOHNSON AND JOHNSON GOT A RAISE THIS MONTH $ 25 MILLION . BECAUSE THE COMPANY MADE A GREAT 3 QUARTER PROFITS . A snake like this is not worthy of 1 cent raise .slaughtering women for profit .

• anonymous says:

I’m starting to feel like the only company that matters is J&J. Please remember no one has been paid anything. I support you all but We all need support. I hope your meeting in front of the share holders meeting does something for all of you however I have my uncertainties that anything will change. best of luck ladies.

• Bejah says:

Karen, And the fact that there is a complete absence of responsibility, compassion or humanity is truly chilling.

14. So lets see these companies can get away with usng unsuspecting women as lab rats. But we are supposed to be quiet or they will use it against us. Well I have to say being quiet is exactly what we should not do. If we truely come together in solidarity to fight them corp bully’s we might actually get somewere. How can they use it against us in court do we not have the right to stand up for ourselves when we are the ones who’s lives have been torn apart and permanently damaged due to thier bottom line. Being quiet is exactly what they want so the world does not know the horrible things these so called caring companies are doing to the people in the name of the almighty dollar. Yes we are women but thier are men with mesh and thier are people harmed everyday by an industry out of control and what is the FDA for. I thought they were there for our protection. We the people pay for the FDA in our tax dollars. Come on people wake up it’s time to blow the lid on the cover-ups happening in this industry.

• Bejah says:

Toni, If we “speak truth to power” we are doing the right thing. If we do not things will get worse for the people. I am not sure they can use the truth against us. If we said things that were not true that would be a legal problem for us. Maybe we should have a conversation about what they can and can not do. They want us to be afraid. They want us to be quiet. For decades the government has used fear to control the people and so have certain corporations and business sectors, for example the military/industrial complex. We need to know when we are being manipulated and stand our ground. If your attorney tells you not to talk about your case that does not mean you can not talk about the issue. Let us not allow them to silence us.

15. Mary says:

Fight for yourself! No matter how it looks or feel. We are wonderfully made. Don’t burnout. Keep yourselves fueled and aflamed. Don’t quit in hard times. This is the time we need to pray all the time pray all the harder. Like a diamond under pressure you will emerge from your current circumstances more valuable and priceless. #PUSH: PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS. If you can’t travel the least we can do collectively is Pray and watch God change things!

#13yrsMeshSurvivor

• Abandoned says:

I agree Mary….we have to pray and claim victory and giving PRAISE for the BLESSINGS that have already been planed for us!

Some People have thrown so much judgement at me for being negative, Accusing me of not having enough faith…almost enough to make me question if I believed in God anymore. Then one day I realized their condemnation was making me resistant to continue with prayer. Then I had an Epiphany… Satan wants us to stop praying and give up on the greatest power we have!

God didn’t do this to us!!! PEOPLE with self will did!!!

And SHAME on those who say I’m not praying enough. My day is filled with more prayer than theirs…

I PRAY

To get out of bed

To brush my teeth

To feed my dog

To take the right medicine at the right time

To be able to make a phone call

To urinate

To empty my bladder

To not fall on my head when trying to cath

To have a bowel movement

To remember to eat

To be able to cross the threshold of my front door to leave

To remember what I’m thinking about

To keep my sharp tongue and mouth shut

To make it to the store without getting lost

For forgiveness constantly…and more

To thank God all day for any little achievement

To thank Him for any person who takes the time to be kind to me

Ring a Bell?

Now we can pray for each other, pray for those walking before, with and behind us. Thank God for the ones he will send to represent us. We can have prayer vigils from home…on certain days. In addition to those who are seen…we can add Almighty Powers through our Faith!

Anybody in?

16. kitty says:

I didn’t realize there are other 13 year survivors. It gets tighter and tighter

.where—exactly are we meeting up June 2?

17. MAMOH says:

I am a 10 yr survivor. My urogynecolgist finally admitted and is all to readily now to try and remove. It is not made to be taken out and if any women think there is such a thing as total removal is just wishing. If you have had a mesh recently then yes it can be removed bc the scar tissue has not grown over it. I have had mine 10 years and my surgeon can get all but the arms. Whats the point if you cannot remove. Each pieve they cut out has to be biopsied. You may be worse than before the surgery. I had a partial extrustion/removal and another wrapped around it (after the FDA announcement) still the drs are using it. The big money maker is now telling women it can be removed but you risk a lot of infection. You could end up self catherizing yourself or a colonstomy bag. My attorney is very, very good and he said we have the freedom of speech and they cannot stop you and it will not hurt your case. Hell there’s people protesting wage increases in which they got. More than we can show in a protest? I know everyone is sick but we must utilize whatever strength we have and fight, while we still can. If not, no one is taking us serious. If you couldn’t already tell by lack of news coverage. You can put a sack over your head that says Mesh Hurts or Mesh Survivor with a sad face. We can take care of each other while we protest. We can bring family members to help us. I suggest the you tube video on July 13, go to WV in Aug. I don’t know about the June 2 or NJ. If you are afraid of losing your case, doing nothing just shows we really aren’t that sick or hurt bc we aren’t being seen or heard. Lets stop being weak and get strong in numbers DAMN IT! How do you think we got the right to vote? By our ancestors sitting around complaining and praying for a miracle. NOT HAPPENING. I hate to sound so negative and we are all sick, in pain, have no money, what else is left of us but one last stand like the Mohicans! I think you are all afraid you will lose what little money you may get but by the sounds of it we aren’t getting jack shit! So anyone in on the video for July 13? you don’t have to leave your home, it costs no money. We have no excuses for at least doing a video. We can address it like Hillary please listen to Mesh Victims. This is the time, election time and if not it will be too late. Birds of a feather flock together………….

• kitty says:

Are there anyone from Wisconsin in Aug?

• Shirley says:

I can testify too that mine cannot be totally removed eleven years ago and what they couldn`t removed scar tissue built around it and causing much 24/7 pain and discomfort and bleeding not too mention infections. It is horrible too define such a magnitude of so many women going through this I sure do sympothize with every one of you. God Bless!

18. MAMOH says:

Lisa, I am going to go to build a banner and write what you suggested. But I think each banner at the top should say what state we represent. My girls from Ohio we will just all hold the one banner unless you want to make some posters of your own.Lisa I will send you my draft and then we can go from there. What do you think about the video on July 13. It would at least get the women too sick to travel a voice.

• Bejah says:

MAMOH, Do you think we should have an established logo and all that we do in terms of getting out in public and hopefully attract media exposure should be under one organized logo and set of rules we establish. I suggest a committee and a process for submitting and creating banners, flags, t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. should have a common theme, colors, etc. That will help us present a more united front, come across and organized and serious. We should try to have banners and placards, etc. made by a print shop if possible. We could submit funds to Jane or an appointed leader to hold to cover these costs. We could ask our membership to contribute $5.00 a month or whatever they can afford and give them an e-newsletter in return that provides information that Jane cannot cover. I would also suggest the creation of a mission statement to be sent to every member and a calendar with impportant dates. Just some thoughts…

• MAMOH says:

I cant even get a commitment of how many women are even planning on going? Simple questions get no answers and we all go back to our pain and suffering. WE ALL ARE IN THE SAME BOAT AND WE HAVE A HOLE IN IT. Very few are making commitments to do anything. I have already spent $200 on donations. I am not waiting on someone to decide a logo or emblem. I suggested a red circle with a line thru it and mesh in the middle. NO RESPONSES. I offered to pay for the buttons that were suggested awhile back. No responses. I offered to give rides to rallly in WV in March Bellew. No responses from anyone. I had 3 women going on June 2 but now they cant go so I don’t think anyone is really serious about the peaceful gathering. I understand some cant make it they are ill. So am I and sick of waiting for some women to get serious about standing up for our rights. We have freedom of speech, put a sack over your head if you are afraid to be seen cause you may lose your case. We aren’t going to see a penny doing nothing but complaining. Frankly, I’m ready to throw in the towel. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him/her drink.

• Bejah says:

MAMOH, Just for the record I support your logo design…and I just “saw” it when I reread your post. Sometimes I think we read through too fast and miss things and we could probably all benefit from sedatives and teeth guards for bedtime! Never give up, please.

I remember way back in 2010 when I was implanted there was some mention of a rather famous actress who had this horrid mesh problem but she did not want the public to know so remained silent. I will see if I can find out who it was and contact her people imploring that she support us financially behind the scenes. Generally the film community and entertainment communities are very supportive of such things IF the awareness level is high enough. I will put together a list of agents, management companies, record labels, PR Entertainment firms, etc. and a letter we might send to them asking for financial support through Jane’s organization. I will post a copy of the letter after reviewing it with Jane and give everyone time to comment then send the letters out certified. I will pay for this myself. What return address shall we use? How does this sound? Or we could sell lemonade at the corner????? 🙂 Keep smiling kiddo.

19. justme says:

If you have a copy of your gag order letter, post it next to your keyboard NOW. It will serve as a reminder to stfu.

• Kitty says:

justme what do you mean about gag order stfu? Are you thinking we should kekep our mouths shut? please advise

• Bejah says:

FYI I received no gag order, just the recommendation to not discuss my case and I am not. As stated elsewhere this does not mean we can not discuss the issue in general. Just do not talk about your own case at all. If someone seems too interested in your case take that as a warning sign and back off communication with them except perhaps about the latest Target ad!

20. jade says:

You should all see (or, maybe have seen) this movie – A Civil Action. As victims, I believe it is critical to keep our voices strong. We must all be willing to tell our stories to ANYone who will listen. Be passionate, sincere and willing to answer questions and delve into your personal experience. Refrain from complaining, but focus on exposing the broken communication system between doctor and patient; report the conspiracy between the doctors and their employers (manufacturers); and, push to have doctors who seek fortune and fame, above patient health, to be put on notice. We, as victims, can actively engage in pushing the Defense to come to their senses FIRST, and SOON!

An excerpt from the script of A CIVIL ACTION – The Movie

“The odds of a plaintiff’s lawyer

winning in court

are 2 to 1 against.

Think about that for a second.

Your odds of surviving a game

of Russian roulette are better.

So why does anyone do it?

They don’t. They settle.

Out of the 780,000 cases

filed each year,

The whole idea of lawsuits

is to settle,

to compel the other side to settle.

You do that by spending

more money than you should,

forcing them to spend

more money than they should.

And whoever

comes to their senses first…

loses.

Trials are a corruption

of the entire process.

And only fools with something

to prove end up ensnared in them.

When I say prove,

I don’t mean about the case.

I mean about themselves.” – A Civil Action – Movie 1998

• Bejah says:

Jade, I agree with much of what you said except sharing personal information which should be done with great care and only to someone you know well and trust or where it is appropriate…your counsel, family, faith counsellor, doctor, etc. IMHO we need to take care not to get too friendly with people who may turn out to be defendant corporation plants. It does happen. Personally I have been very disappointed in the justice system for years, decades but never more than now BUT it is still possible to sometimes find ethical and just conduct and a favorable and appropriate result. We have to care for our democracy and not just expect it to run on autopilot. Thanks for info on the film. I will try to find it. FYI I just tried to reach Jane but her mailbox is full. I am working on material for the JNJ stockholders meeting for our people.

• Bejah says:

Actually, Having read this again….I must say I favor trial and suspect that I am not the party that settlement benefits!!!!!! “Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive” (unknown author, WS?).

My mother told me that she had the gift of heightened perception which I think any of us can develop but we pay a price for it: responsibility. Evidently I inheirated this. So I would like to say that I have the feeling that Jane is getting really overwhelmed and something needs to be done. Can someone construct a page where we can vote on a mandatory contibution monthly to cover Jane’s expenses and costs associated with our developing organization and protest efforts, etc. If anyone lives near Jane perhaps you could volunteer office time or Internet time to assist her. I think we should have a serious discussion about this.

21. kitty says:

So true—- don’ t forget Addison–the nosey threesome trying to pry information from us posing as the injured mesh victim or party thereof.

• anonymous says:

How do you know they were not hurt?????

• kitty says:

Too many nosey questions and then he/she giving out advice —seemed suspicious. Maybe they were OK. I gave info a.d they took it and ran. Never heard again. Maybe it’s u.

• addison says:

Kitty – you have been a cruel person to our family and others. I hope Jane steps in and no longer allows your mean words and false accusations. My wife has spoken with Jane Akre and is more injured than you can imagine. Just because we posted under one name doesn’t give you a right to do this to us. You got upset as soon as we told you my wife is in her thirties and on disability. You refused to believe this, our oldest daughter’s age, and more. Our family has only posted under a few articles and all we did was try to help people and also be supported.

• Kitty says:

Yes I suppose the work nosey was cruel–other than that I just stated the facts. If Jane shuts me down I will be very sad.

• Kitty says:

I meant to write word not work

• Kitty says:

I think the National Mall in DC is the place to make a statement—–I mean we would all be there with wheel chairs mostly because our endurance is very limited—– and Richard always appreciate you getting us on the straight and narrow.

• anonymous says:

kitty I do not appreciate you insinuating anything negative about anyone on this site. you don’t know me I don’t know you all we can do is trust each other maybe somebody ask a lot of questions I had a lot of questions but thank God carly was the one who taught me a lot about mess otherwise I would have been asking a lot of questions too.maybe people are sometimes over curious about how you are handling your situation what’s going on with your attorneys excetera maybe it’s because none of us have ever experienced anything like this at all ever. but for you to single one person out and make negative comments about them is cruel and unnecessary and it makes every one of us want to leave this Site. but by the grace of God I can look out here and when Jane put something out here I know that it’s the truth and it is unbiased. I’ve never tried to be cruel to anybody but what you did kitty is so wrong and it just hurts us all this is the kind of thing that destroys everybody. I apologize to Addison and her family for anything I may have questioned about them I take you at your word and I hope you will take me at mine.

• addison says:

Thank you for your support. Our family and a few close friends followed MMND for many months without posting until we saw an article by Mr. Lewis. He answered legal questions, so we thought it was okay to ask those we had. Another day, we read a comment by someone struggling with a disability claim, and we felt bad for her and wanted to help. We only posted under 3-4 articles, but along the way, we were questioned about age and receiving disability, our oldest child’s age, our decision to post under one name and more. It hurts to be unwelcomed or treated poorly, so we decided not to post anymore. We would have never commented or reached out to anyone had we known some would be unbelieving of our situation and intentions. Thanks again, and God bless you.

• Marie says:

Kitty, I’m begging you to think of others’ feelings before you comment. Some of us no longer feel comfortable frequenting the site or sharing that which might be beneficial. Even when emotional and feeling betrayed, posting false information and insults isn’t the way to go.

The family wrongly judged and denigrated has been through so much. It’s heartbreaking. Imagine how they feel right now: respectfully commenting under just a few articles – not one comment in past many weeks – and waking up to find emails from friends regarding someone, out of the blue, mentioning them in an unkind, untrue way. Was there hesitation prior to posting something that could hurt others if untrue? Was there a thought that if this family was sincere, which was evident, they are already struggling and sad? They asked questions pertaining to their situation, like most did, and tried to help others even with all they go through.

I understand that you are angry and feel mistreated. This is unfortunate, and I’m sorry. In taking your frustrations out on others and testing everyone though, how are you different from those who don’t help or believe you? Under one featured article, you referred to yourself as ‘like Socrates’, always questioning. You’ve questioned many experiences and ideas as if some don’t have the same rights as others on this collective. It’s difficult to understand why those helping themselves and others are called ‘nosy’ while you (admittedly) question everything and are not nosy but ‘like Socrates.’

Can we all just encourage and share as best we can…free from false accusations and paranoia. Being angry or jealous of someone because of support received, products involved, injury, age, family situation, or anything else won’t change situations or help anyone. I’ve seen several people reach out to others here. There are sympathetic and empathetic people, so why not appreciate and thank them? I think more decent people come here than those with bad intentions.

• Kitty says:

Marie —-your clique needs lighten up. You need to stop scapegoating me for your insecurities. I am assertive.

ENOUGH already. I never defamed anyone I simply called someone nosey.

Kitty- This sort of tone is not appreciated on Mesh News Desk. Everyone here needs understanding, patience and kindness. Assertive,- save that for the courtroom. I hope you understand and abide by the rules of civility. Thank you. Jane Akre, editor, Mesh News Desk!

• hope says:

Great statement, Marie. Thank you!!!

• Bejah says:

Addison, I know Kitty would never intentionally hurt anyone. Please consider her intent. If she made a mistake it was an honest one in an atmosphere that might be described as complex, convoluted and emotionally charged. We are only trying to protect ourselves after having been profoundly betrayed. Please try to understand the broader context.

• addison says:

There is a right and kind way to interact and a wrong, hurtful way. Kitty has, on several occasions, unnecessarily judged others. If you haven’t recognized this, you likely haven’t seen all of her comments. She knows that our family asked only clear, fair questions to help our family and others. To question us because of my wife’s young age, receiving disability, etc. is not ok. Would you like to be questioned? Would you like to hear from friends that someone went to a site and posted that you are not injured (when you have been through so much) but posing as someone you are not?

• addison says:

Bejah, if you can find anything we posted that appears questionable, please let us know. Isn’t it ok to ask Mr. Hal Lewis (and Mrs. Akre) questions about litigation when he came to this site to answer questions? Or read about someone struggling to get disability and trying to give advice because we’ve been through the process? Why do some jump to awful conclusions and assume anyone trying to help another here is not sincere? If only you knew my wife and all she has been through. Jane has spoken with her and can tell you we are not posers nor did we deserve the defamation.

• Bejah says:

Addison, I hope you and your wife are feeling better. I was thinking about what you said. Perhaps in part there is a tendency in people when in a highly charged atmosphere to enter into projections, that is, project on to another that which they most fear or deny in themselve or in their lives. All of us tend to wonder these days, who can we trust? We seem to have left what we remember as a more innocent time behind us. We seem to live in a fearful age in general which makes it even more important to forgive eachother. I do not know what else to say of this sad matter. Take care,

• addison says:

I think most of us want to be supported and help others if we can, not face “test” questions. It’s one thing to question someone being unkind or asking questions that can hurt another person or their lawsuit. It’s another to assume the worst and be mean to someone for trying to help themselves and others. It’s really hard to see my wife crying. There’s no reason for it. We asked Mr. Lewis and Mrs. Akre legitimate, fair questions and tried to help a couple nice women with disability. The only other question was about the arms because after surgeries, doctors can’t get all of them out from the implants.

22. kitty says:

We want to make a statement at the gatherings I like Jane’s theme last year “J&J hurts women.”—– Then further extrapolate on that with “V is the NO MESH zone”

23. Richard Howden aka All Meshed Up says:

I hope along the way, you women will remember that we Hernia Mesh Victims were experimented on before there was ever any Gynecological Mesh. You are not the only one’s suffering from a Mesh implant. When J&J and the others realized the profit and use potential of anything made from Polypropylene, the rest as they say, is history.

As far as getting participants for the J&J Corporate meeting goes or any type of public demonstration against Mesh, the public in general are ignorant to what Surgical Mesh is all about. They may have seen the Lawyers advertisments on TV but they have seen ads for Zarelto damage and several other drugs as well. Unless they have been directly involved with Mesh damage, most people have no idea what we are talking or protesting about. People that I have talked to about Mesh Injuries cannot believe we cannot get a Lawyer or win millions of dollars in Court because we have been implanted with a Medical Device that has gone bad. When you try to tell them the reasons why you are not getting millions of dollars in an award, the immediate belief is that you are lying or that your Mesh damage that you are complaining about is really just insignificant.

As far as the J&J Stockholders are concerned, how many of them are going to get rid of their Stock because you are injured by their Mesh? They are going to be more concerned that your protest is going to disrupt their celebration about the latest Quarterly Earnings. They may give you a little ear time and a sympathetic hug but I doubt very seriously that the Stockholders will be concerned about a protest. If all of us that have been damaged by J&J Surgical Mesh showed up, that would get their and the medias attention. If we had a couple of Senators or Congressmen(women) show up, even better. The Court cases against J&J that cost them Millions will be covered by Insurance and Accounts that are specifically set up for just this reason. The MDL’s that are being set up now against J&J, or any other Manufacturer for that matter, do not punish them in any way. The Mesh Victims are given very little individually and it is such a small amount as to be more of an insult than anything else. And the Manufacturers can go right back to making the same product with no other punishment than a few Million bucks that is nothing compared to the profit they make from Mesh. In my mind, until the Manufacturers face every Mesh Injured person getting several $100,000 each as a minimum, the Stockholders won’t give a damn about you or me.

Lastly, Gag orders. It is incredibly hard for me to get information about an MDL from participants because of official or un-official gag orders. Most of you come on here using monikers. Is it because you do not want the Lawyers, Manufacturers or FDA to know your name and situation? The Mesh Injured involved in the Rhode Island MDL against Bard/Kugel were told not to go on social media or sites like this one otherwise there could be repreccusions. There are still many Hernia Mesh Victims still waiting for their settlement monies even though that case was supposedly settled years ago. And I cannot get specific info because those people are scared and they are desperate for what little money they hope to have coming. So, please believe me and others when they say that there are gag orders out there. We Mesh Injured are not the only ones reading this and other Mesh sites.

Hoping for a the miracle of the FDA getting their head out of their butt! Best Wishes………….

• Bejah says:

What repercussions RIchard? Their attorneys advised this? It sounds more like a threat than an advisement. It makes me feel very angry. I think we all still have Constitutional rights (Or have “They” done away with the Constitution), and I think we still have human rights even though in some circles we are treated as lab rats.

We have family friends we have known for decades. He is a retired Orthapaedic surgeon and she was trained as an RN and after they married she left the profession to raise their four children. One son who is now 30 something told me a few weeks ago that he had hernia mesh implanted in him. They all live in Florida now. I told him to contact our hernia mesh guy. But I was talking to his father about the mesh (Which I expect he used in his practice in Beverly Hills all those years) and he, the father, became increasingly agitated and seemed defensive (Hard to imagine someone on the phone in their pool being agitated). I was shocked when he hung up on me and never called back. This gives you a sense of the powerful emotion related to this issue. If physicians had to admit to themselves that they had seriously harmed their patients and violated their sacred oath that cuts deep and is hard to bear, especially where there is a strong ego as their often is with surgeons. Richard, your emotional comments on these issues is very evident and appropriate. This one thing I know is that I do not feel that we are separate from you…it is one issue we all face and I believe every person with a transvaginal mesh wound would feel the same. I have now lost an old and dear friend because of this issue. He will not let go of what he sees as his truth. I wonder if this may be at the root of some of our difficulty in helping physicians and others see the truth as it is.

24. MAMOH says:

Instead of going back and forth and hurting each other, arguing, being mean. Why don’t each of you answer the constant questions I keep asking and you keep avoiding? WHO IS GOING TO BE IN WV ON JUNE 2? WHO IS WILLING TO DO A YOU TUBE VIDEO ON JULY 13? WHO IS WILLING TO GO TO WV AGAIN IN AUG? WHO IS GOING TO THE SHAREHOLDERS J & J IN NJ? SIMPLE ANSWERS YES OR NO. QUIT BITCHING ON HERE AND OFFER YOUR SUPPORT TO US WOMEN WHO HAVE BEEN TRYING TO PUT TOGETHER A GATHERING, WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO? I HAVE MADE MY COMMITTMENT TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I ASK OF YOU WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO SUPPORT. IF YOU ARE SICK AND CANT MAKE IT YOU CAN DO THE YOU TUBE VIDEO AT LEAST?? Can you ladies put your pain, feelings, arguments, law info, etc and just show up to show some type of support? Just please can you answer the questions. A lot of people are working hard to try to get this together. I was strongly involved in the beginning but you ladies just cant make a commitment to anything but complain or hurt others. We shouldn’t attack each other but come together and show our support. Everyone has a lot of ideas but right now just a simple show of numbers needs to happen first!

• Bejah says:

MAMOH, I can not go to any of the events that you have mentioned which I deeply regret. I live in California and my modest budget simply will not allow for travel that far. I can send Jane a small check to support your efforts which I will do 1st week of May. Also, I have offered to draft press releases or anything else you need, I have offered to send fabric for a memorial quilt, and I remain open to doing other things that I can do from home. I understand very well your frustration and thank you so much for carrying the banner, as it were. You will need to get a lot of people there to generate press interest. You will need to bus in people ideally. if they are on crutches or in wheelchairs all the better. The timing of the JNJ Stockholders mtg for example is, I noticed, at about 10:30am which means its is not the standard luncheon. Evidently the stockholders are considered a cheap date! You may have a shortening window for all of these events. In closing, I will be happy to assist in ways that I can right now given my circumstances.

25. kitty says:

Dear MAMOH. Thank u for your organizational work

I am interested and believe that the Aug 24 date is a viable option for me. I have commented time and time again that DC is a very good meeting place. Please keep up your good work.

26. MAMOH says:

2 replies? WOW Correct me if I’m wrong Jane but isn’t the Aug 24 in NJ? Is that the stock holders meetings? or is that another J&J in WV. Who is going to attend the June 2 in WV? ” The peaceful gathering” on the court house steps? Why isn’t wiling to do a you tube video from their home if they cannot travel because of cost or too ill. All of us can at least do that on July 13? NO ANSWERSIS ALL I HAVE BEEN SEEING ON HERE. HOW DO YOU WOMEN THINK WE ARE GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING IF YOU CANT EVEN COMMIT TO A SIMPLE NO COST IDEA SUCH AS A YOU TUBE VIDEO? IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY TO TYPE COMMENTS I WOULD THINK YOU COULD DO THAT. I think I have asked enough questions and got my answers. NOTHING IS WHAT YOU WILL DO AND NOTHING IS WHAT WE WILL ALL GET. Sorry but I have no more comments, questions or commitments to this cause anymore. Thank you Jane for all your hard work but really I think everyone just wants a sounding board but they just don’t have the oomph to even do a simple you tube video. Good luck and best wishes on your health, life and marriages. Peace out.

J&J shareholder meeting is today the 23rd of April in New Brunswick New jersey. june 2 is a Status conference in Charleston, August 24 is the case of Edwards v. Ethicon. just fyi. If it helps at all MAMOH, I’ve learned it pays to have a great deal of understanding with the mesh injured community. Many do not have a dime, they fight with their doctors, seek pain management and are not getting any updates from their law firms. They get mad at each other over any perceived ill intention, regardless of whether it is true or not. I’m sorry for this all but please continue to be civil to one another, I know it is difficult.

• Kitty says:

I appreciate your frustration MAMOH as I have tried to get something going to DC even offering a place to stay for 6 people. I didn’t get a bite on it. You have put a lot of energy and work into organizing and that is not easy. I recall Martha Stewart stood by herself with a couple of pies and finally the peoiple came. My thought is if you go they will come. It was amazing to see Aaron at the trial of Linda and how powerful that was for all of us. and the ladies came when Jane was in WV. It will happen. My dream is to see thousands at the national Mall many of us with w/cs, walkers cane with family and buggies. Will it ever happen?

Thanks Kitty for the reinforcement… your words are true. Attending a trial, BTW, is an amazing experience I’ve seen in the eyes of the women who’ve been there… even for one day. August 24, Charleston WV….perhaps July 13(?) Ramirez case in San Antonio. These dates may change so stand by.

• Bejah says:

Kitty, That was very generous of you to offer a place to stay. I wish others would do that in key locations especially. For what it is worth I share your dream and I can even visualize it if I close my eyes. With regard to filming from home for UTUBE I am a little embarassed to say I have no idea how to do that or what equipment is needed. For those that may be equipped maybe reviewing the process would help motivate some. With regard to the silence I do think that all of this frightens us all and there is an impulse to retreat into what is left of one’s life, to go out into the garden and tend to the roses, or watch an old movie, anything to try to keep our old life or some part of it alive and forget the horror we face. There is something else, the more we ignore the Elephant in the room the larger he will become, and the more agitated he will become. In other words we ignore what we fear at our peril. We also hurt and disappoint our community in general and ourselves. Just try, that is all we ask. Do what you can but do something. Just keep moving. Just show up in some way. When I was in a very deep depression there were two things really that kept me alive:

1. Replacing every negative thought with a positive one

2. Moving…keep moving as if your life depended on it because it may. Your body may not want to move. Do it anyway.

• Bejah says:

Or maybe we just need to bring pies! 🙂

• kitty says:

Hope u dont have to go alone with your pies Bejah. California Dreaming—You gotta find a way. Will be in LA—summer. Peace to you

27. MAMOH says:

I am part of the mesh community for 10 yrs now. I have lost everything also but I still had some fight left. I just don’t understand why very little women want to step up and join forces. If you are only 1 matchstick it is easy to break if you have 10 matchsticks very difficult to break. Just my analogy. I totally understand I am on pain meds, need more surgery, lost a $80,000 a year job. Marriage is heading for divorce so I will have no insurance. Waiting 3 yrs for SSDI that I worked for over 30 yrs. I calculated my losses and gave to my attorney. Over $5 m. The money will never make me whole, it wont even recup my losses. Financially, emotionally, physically, etc. That’s what I don’t understand? We are women, we have been violated! I am in the same situation as the rest of you I am just upset that we cannot even accomplish a simple task, like a you tube video on July 13. The day the FDA announced in 2011 the mesh is harmful. That could make a big impact without leaving your home and no $$. We cant even agree to do something simple as that. We are not doormats. Doing nothing again will get us nothing. I’m sorry Jane but I am fully aware of the mesh problems more than you think but I still want to fight but you cant be just 1 matchstick. I have left my email, phone number, offered to make and donate, offered rides to which they back out at the last minute. I think you deserve more support for all you have done for us and Yes I am upset by the lack of support to you and others who are trying to make a difference. I still wish everyone the best of luck! Thank you Jane for your hard work, I tried.

28. Mesh Nightmare says:

Please donate to MAM 6/2 rally. Click to donate: http://www.gofundme.com/rm62j64

29. So Jane, Do you know if anyone was outside this Johnson and Johnson shareholder meeting like last year. I was at the Dr Veronikis in St Louis and now have surgery scheaduled for the 23rd of may. I really want to attend on the 2nd if I am able to travel as it will only be a lil over a week after surgery. Also I have already bore and will continue to bare alot of exspence losing work and traveling plus many many many trips to various Doc’s. Hoping this nightmare will end soon with surgery after surgery.

• Bejah says:

Toni, I am sure we all pray for a good outcome for you on May 23d. Please let us know how you are doing and keep notes even if you think you will remember everything. Take pen and paper and write, write, write. Be sure to get a copy of your medical file including images and all pre-op data. My sense is that thinking travel may be possible a week after is VERY optomistic and maybe not the best idea depending on details. Will be thinking of you, 23rd will come up fast now. What you could do is film yourself in hospital, a talking head piece, and maybe Jane might be interested in it for inclusion in her film. You could think about posting it on UTUBE…depending on circumstances, as a sort of public service effort. There is so much we can do now, even without mainstream media blackouts. Best wishes,

30. Bejah says:

I am still hoping someone will take me to LA for that trial. It is about 120 miles from Palm Springs to LA. Maybe I could take the train to Riverside or Fullerton to connect with someone with a car. I suppose I could take the train by myself but that would be hard for me as the stop in Palm Springs is about 2am or so, arriving in LA at dawn. I would not mind taking the train/bus with others if that is possible. Surely there must be some of us in Southern CA other than me. I guess we are sort of out of time now….I do hope someone will go at least. Jane has my phone number FYI.