Mesh Trial Pioneer Linda Batiste to be Laid to Rest

linda batiste noticeMND, August 14, 2015 ~ A funeral is scheduled for Saturday, August 15 in Garland, Texas for mesh-injured  pioneer Linda Elizabeth Batiste.   Batiste died Saturday, August 8th. She had been suffering from cancer.

Linda Batiste, 65, was the plaintiff in the first trial to win a jury award against Johnson & Johnson over her pelvic mesh implant, a TVT-O made by Ethicon, a division of J&J.

Ms. Batiste was awarded $1.2 million by a Dallas jury on April 3, 2014. Enduring pain and walking with a cane, Ms. Batiste, a former registered nurse, attended nearly all of her three-week trial.

In a precedent setting decision, the jurors decided the TVT-O was defectively designed. They rejected Batiste’s claim that Ethicon didn’t provide proper warnings about the health risks and declined awarding punitive damages.  Since her trial, the jury in the Jo Husky trial also decided the Ethicon TVT-O was defective in its design.

The incontinence treatment remains on the market.

See the story on the trials conclusion on Mesh News Desk here. See the trial coverage on Mesh News Desk here.    Aaron Horton covered the trial for Mesh News Desk along with another mesh injured woman who prefers to be called “Kathy.” See her coverage here.

According to the family, Aaron is considered one of the family and fundraising efforts were approved by Sara Gaston, Linda’s oldest daughter, as well as the rest of the family.  Here is the Linda Batiste program for the Saturday service.linda batiste ribbons right side

The Mesh Warrior Foundation reports 100% of the proceeds from her page will go toward expenses to lay Ms. Batiste to rest. The purple and blue ribbons were made by Horton and Linda’s grandson, Josh, this week to be given out at the service.

Linda’s favorite color was purple.

“Thank you! It’s perfect,” Ms. Gaston wrote in approving the web post.

The jury award of $1.2 million has never been paid by Johnson & Johnson and is on appeal.

“Although she lost her battle for life; she died knowing that she had won the war,” says her obit.   #

Please Note* There has been a change for Ms. Batiste’s services. They will still be held Saturday, August 15, 2015 with visitation from 10:00 am to 10:45 am. Her Celebration of Life Service will follow at approximately 12:00 Noon at: Macedonia Baptist Church 3925 Bucknell Dr. Garland, TX 75042

Horton and The Mesh Warrior Foundation is dedicated to raising funds for Ms. Batiste’s family. All of the proceeds from this page will go towards the expenses necessary to lay Ms. Batiste to rest, including a headstone, all done with the family’s approval and blessing.  Here is the link to donate.

Aaron Horton’s story on Linda Batiste appears on The Mesh Warrior blog.

Here is the Chamberland Funeral Home notice

Mesh News Desk offers its sincerest condolences to the family of Linda Batiste.  May she rest in peace.  #

1. anonymous says:

Just know that she rest in the arms of Jesus and she feels no more pain she’ll have no more tears she will only see sunshine and smiles the rest of her existence my prayers are with you that God send His angels to come for two during this time

2. Bilal says:

“They should suffer 2!”

3. Betty says:

God be with you, you are one of us 70,000 all dealing with the same problem. I’m sorry you were unable to win the fight against cancer. Rest in peace Linda and watch over all of us still fighting the right to get the care we all deserve and you also deserved. Prayers to your family.

4. Suzanne says:

This is so incredibly sad, and my condolences go out to Linda, and the entire Batiste family. What an incredible loss of a very strong and courageous woman! Jane, is there any evidence that supports Linda’s battle with cancer was caused by mesh or mesh toxins?

I don’t believe there has been an official cause of death. Yours is a good question…..I understand she was fighting a brain cancer for awhile but there has been a link seen between implant site and cancer…

5. anonymous says:

I believe God is watching all of this and right now he’s talking to Linda and finding out everything else someday the people that did this and caused her to go even faster I’m sure because of all the crap that she had to go through they will have to answer to the ultimate judge I pity them when they get there because no one has the right to lie and steal and do what they did to all of us all in the name of making money I pray that her family gets all the money they deserve out of her settlement and perhaps I can do some good with it to her family you have my sincere condolences

6. Aaron Leigh says:

Thank you Jane for writing such a lovely post and reminding us all about the hardships she faced during trial. She was held her head high with such dignity, at the time, I marveled at her grace. The family is so grateful at the outpouring of love from the mesh community, and today, I will ready many of the comments that are posted here and otherwise. She was so humble. I don’t think she ever really knew the extent to which her life and her Spirit impacted so many. She was one of a kind.

7. anna says:

I am so sorry, and my prayers are with her family. J&J should be hiding under a rock for all their lies. She might not be the only one dying before settlement, and they know that. How could they still be believe that their products are gold stardard. Someone gave me a brochure from 2006, and I compared their warning from their new ethicon brochure on line its amazing how they are trying to save there a…… now. The did not have half of the .warnings they have now. Google Ethicon.com

8. Aaron says:

The service was so, so beautiful. The pastor spoke of how the family was heartbroken by her passing, especially because they were not going to be able to hold a memorial service or afford a casket. The family prayed for God to provide, and we all celebrated and marveled as that He did that today. He provided through this wonderful “family of chance” we are all part of. Her passing was indeed a celebration of her life. She left a legacy that will not easily fade. Please continue to encourage them in the days to come.

9. Sheree says:

Just wondering when the victims of AMS will be receiving compensation for their injuries. I do have a copy of the grid. We have waited long enough. Please see about date compensation wil be . Thank You

• Barb says:

Sheree, when you say the Grid are you saying you recieved your packet explaining the injuries being considered? They are doing 1000 cases a day we are all supposed to have our packets by October 2015 as far as distribution that woud be in the packet, remember the dollar amount is not what will be given they are not taking attorney fees medicare.medicaid or any other liens.

10. guest says:

so we all die and that’s it? no one cares how sick she was, the pain, the suffering, and she never got paid? J&J the Evil Corp carries on as if nothing is happening?

11. janet says:

My heart goes out to her family

It’s sad knowing that she herself will never be able to have that money she deserves

Johnson &Johnson should be hung fir there company mistake

Do we all have to die to be compensated for the wrong that have put us through

Why these manufacturers can not do what’s right I do not understand

I buy nothing of Johnson &Johnsons

May God be with the family

12. stopmeshimplants says:

Sending her family thoughts and prayers. So very sad for her family to suffer this immense loss after everything they have been through. I don’t think anyone should ever have to endure what Linda experienced in her lifetime, nor her family members. Just so sad….

13. kitty says:

This is so so sad. I will never forget Aron’s kindness to her. I can’t tell u how angry I am at

J n J

14. guest says:

family should be able to sue for wrongful death

15. Anonymous says:

It took me a few days to come read this article after I saw the headline. It frightened me. As a sufferer of mesh, I am truly afraid of my future. Even after many surgeries of removal. I still suffer daily.

Thoughts and Prayers Rest In Peace- Linda Batiste

Here is a GYNECARE J&J Ethicon and BARD UPDATE in the NJ courts…

Calendar of Events

The next Case Management Conference will be held for GYNECARE on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 2 p.m. in Judge Martinotti’s courtroom 359 (Rotunda Building). Liaison Counsel for Gynecare shall report at 1 p.m. for a pre-conference meeting.

The next Case Management Conference for BARD will be held on Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11 a.m. in Judge Martinotti’s courtroom 359 (Rotunda Building). Liaison Counsel shall report at 11 a.m.

16. mary babb says:

My name is mary i am so sorry about Linda Batiste life after her implants with the gynecare mesh the pain she must have gone through i know for i am in pain all time she did not pass away in vain she has helped thousands of women her family has my blessing and i know they are proud of her i know i am fighting JNJ and won was a blessing to her thank you for letting us know.. mary

17. janet says:

How sad that t his poor little beautiful woman will never see a penny

I hope and pray t hat the family can go f I r more money are take it to a higher court.

Because these idots manufacturers need to be placed ij n th he death chamber for what they have done to us women

I really believe now that t his is what us dead

When is it going to be enough

18. Nanny Bug says:

On now sad and heart breaking for her family & her !! All the pain and suffering awarded benefits yey never got a red penny. I am so sorry from the bottom of my broken heart . My pain tonight I will not complain about . This is all about her in my opinion today . I would give anything if I could go to this funeral in order to respect her life as a medh patient I can’t say anymore for the words I would like to say aren’t words to benefit anyone because I would lije yo be like Jesus in the temple when He ran everyone out that was wrongful acting in Gods house . Thank you Linda fir being such a brave warrior & a leader for us all !!! With Great Love & Respect I SO DO SORRY !! Connie

19. Deborah says:

SO THE POOR GIRL WON, BUT GOOD OLE J&J DIDN’T WANT TO UP THE MONEY!

IS THAT RIGHT?

20. Joshua Clinton says:

I really miss u Grandmother. Thanks to everyone who offered their condolences. She fought hard everyday. The lung cancer metastasized to her brain we don’t know but do believe the mesh contributed to the gastrointestinal cancer as it was not removed all the way. She fought a hard fight with mesh and cancer.

21. Linda says:

Joshua,

as a mesh victim, I want to Thank you for standing by her side. Many women are left isolated and alone and it sounds like your family rallied around her.

Thank you !

22. Bejah B says:

I am so proud of this community….each counting out dollars to send to help Linda’s family with ceremonies related to her passing. What a contrast to the corporation responsible for so much of her suffering. In the years and perhaps decades to come I think we will learn a lot more about the impact of this material on the human body. I would not be at all surprised if a lnk were possible between the petroleum mesh and cancers. I expect it is something we all fear. But even if something is true we must be able to demonstrate a link, to prove it. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff they say. All this time since her implant, since her diagnoses must have been so difficult for her family. I hope they find some peace now. I believe her case loses value if she passes away before trial but not after a verdict has been rendered. Can anyone confirm that? When was she diagnosed? I wonder if she was a smoker of cigarettes? As a nurse, she probably was not. To me that would make the mesh far more suspect. We need to be careful about all manner of things really, though…like hair dye, nail polish, make up….what do we really know about them? I also do feel simpatico for her family greatly because she was part of our larger family. It is a beautiful thing our people are doing for her family. GOD bless us, every one.

Bejah

PS – Jane what are the rules about Appeal processes…how long can corporations appeal and does it differ from individuals? If a plaintiff loses a case (And as I recall in this matter plaintiffs have lost only three or four…for reasons that may range from a technicality to something more emonic) may I assume they also have the right of appeal and that right does not differ from the corporate defendant’s right of appeal?

23. Barb says:

If I was a family member of this beautiful woman you bet I would be hiring the best darn attorney possible!! Although it will be hard on the family to request a coroners report that determined her untimely death, they will not show any sympathy and will worm their way out blaming it on other medical issues!! For now let the family grieve have peace and let us all show them we love her courage!! When the anger sets in then sue the h@## out of them for wrongful death……………..demand the 1,2 mil she was awarded and so much more!! Our hearts break for you all!!

24. Tasha Clinton says:

I miss u grandmother remember I still got you. I love my heart breaks cause i wanted to help you but didn’t know how I really just miss you. I cry every day cause i still cant believe you are gone. But I know your saying out of everything trust God baby ‼ and I do because of you ‼ p.s you still my baby.

25. anonymous says:

My heart breaks for you and I know you miss your grandma but I want you to understand one thing we cry for ourselves. From what I understand this woman was a beautiful Christian and she’s in the arms of Jesus right now. She’s walking the streets of gold and playing in Paradise and she’s happy and she’s not in pain and she’s laughing and smiling. She would not want you sad she would want you to be determined to follow Jesus so that one day you can see her again and be with her. Her suffering is over. I know people think I’m weird at funerals but if I know the person was a Christian I’m not sad. Oh don’t get me wrong I miss loved ones when they leave to but when I know that they’re home with Jesus safe and sound a smile comes to my face. I know grieving is a part of the process but be happy your grandma is fine she’s enjoying herself and she’s just so content. Continue to help fight for others who may have died due to the mesh or are suffering from mesh or from cancer do something positive to make yourself feel better. In time you’ll feel better you’ll always miss her but remember I know she would want you to walk the right path so someday when you go home she can be standing there with open arms. God bless you and your family