Mesh News Highlights for 2017 Revisited!

//Mesh News Highlights for 2017 Revisited!

Mesh News Highlights for 2017 Revisited!

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, December 30, 2017 ~ It’s hard to imagine 2017 has passed so quickly, but it has.

So much so that we sometimes forget what has transpired in the last twelve months in the world of mesh injuries.

A review of the mesh news of 2017 reveals there have been many changes, often sparked by the participating of injured citizens who want to prevent harm to others.

Congratulations to all of those individuals who put compassion for others in the forefront!!!!

Here are some of the major changes that have occurred in 2017 concerning the mesh mess. Thank you all for your continued readership of Mesh Medical Device News Desk.

The Hrymocs, North Jersey dot com

In December 2017 –  The Hrymoc Trial in New Jersey wrapped up.  It was the first in four years since the first  mesh trial in New Jersey of Linda Gross in 2013. This one concerned two J&J products –  Prolift and TVT-O  – and a jury, after listening to two-weeks of testimony, decided to compensate the New Jersey woman $15 million which includes $10 million in punitive damages to punish Johnson & Johnson.  Read the MND coverage here.

Also on the litigation front, in October, the $27 million award to four women implanted with Boston Scientific mesh was upheld after being challenged by the company. Read MND coverage here.

And the largest award so far, $57 million was awarded to mesh-injured Ella Ebaugh in a Philadelphia court. She was implanted with a J&J TVT-Secur. Her jury award includes $50 million in punitive damages.  She was represented by Kline Specter of Philadelphia. Read MND coverage here.

Keeping an eye on the Trial Tallies so far, hundreds of millions of dollars are spend by mesh makers on trying these cases, appealing the verdicts and then having the plaintiff finally survive the appeals process, not to mention the very costly trial attorneys they employ. MND coverage here.

Jacqui Scott, New Zealand Women’s Weekly story

New Zealand says No to Pelvic Mesh. In December, New Zealand decided to restrict the use of all transvaginal mesh.  Unlike the U.S. where the POP meshes have been reclassified to high risk, New Zealand will restrict the use of all transvaginal mesh implants, both SUI and POP (here) .

Essentially the same thing will be accomplished in Australia (here) where all pelvic mesh devices will be reclassified from moderate to high risk over the next 24 months.

Chrissy outpouring on FAcebook

December 2017 – After publicly campaigning in social media about the dangers of transvaginal mesh, campaigner Christine Lynn Brajcic lost her life after being repeated hospitalized for infections. The cause of death has yet to be officially determined, but at age 42, and in good health prior to her implant with a J&J TVT Exact four years ago, ironically, her death may provide the research needed to definitively connect sepsis to her polypropylene implant, as many others suffer the same fate following a pelvic mesh implant. Read MND coverage here.

A Canadian pathologist (here), Dr. Vladimir Iakovlev, is advising the Windsor, Ontario coroner on what tissue samples will be needed to determine the accurate  cause of death.

November 2017Counterfeit mesh from China, No Problem, says FDA.  The FDA found no problem with the allegedly counterfeit mesh brought in from China to make Boston Scientific mesh implants, even though the origin is unknown as is the composition.  The FDA allowed Boston Scientific to investigate its own products after a RICO lawsuit against it charged the company with illegally smuggling low quality polypropylene resin in from a known smuggler in China.

Jo and Allen Huskey

Jo Huskey Survives Appeal.  Jo Huskey survived the final appeal by J&J  in October (here) allowing her $3.27 million compensation to stand. She was implanted with a TVT-O and her trial was conducted in Charleston, WV in 2014. The litigation concluded that her pelvic mesh was defective.

Hope Pagano, Lupus following mesh

In October 2017,  Autoimmune RegistryMesh News Desk helped gather participants for the UCLA autoimmune registry (here).  Researchers there will try to determine why there appears to be an extraordinary number of autoimmune reactions to a polypropylene mesh implant. The effort was started by Hope Pagano, a woman who developed Lupus after her mesh implant. See her story here.

Elaine Holmes testifying to Parliament

Internationally, Scotland called for an International Summit on the Mesh Crisis, (here) thanks in part to vocal and organized campaigners and reporter Marion Scott, who was allowed to follow the issue aggressively and accurately.

British Parliament faced off with Sling the Mesh Campaigners in October, bringing to the front pages the mesh crisis. The group promises to keep up the public pressure on public officials. See coverage here.

Campaigners from Sling The Mesh, July 18, 2017, Cambstimes.co.uk

Settle or be Dropped   Lawyers are increasingly telling their clients that they must agree to settlement dollars. Some even go so far as to threaten that their case will be dropped if they do not accept the amount, which in many cases, are far short of any realistic compensation for medical bills, loss of job, pain and suffering, and to “make whole” the person before her injury.

Some firms are worse than others and according to legal experts, may be in violation of their ethical obligations. See Mesh News Desk’s August coverage here.

In a related August story on Multidistrict Litigation – Is it working? Mesh News Desk (here) got a variety of opinions on whether the MDL has served clients well. Start here with Part One of this two-part story.

For many law firms- transvaginal mesh became a numbers game, amassing huge numbers of cases with the intention of churning them through the system. (here)

Lamborghini

Incentivized with Lamborghinis, some of the documents being released in the Sydney Australia trial of 700 women against Johnson & Johnson includes documents that say “Surgery is the Cha-ching thing”  (here) and uses luxury automobiles to entice surgeons to use the company’s mesh products.  That trial continues today and is the largest class action so far in terms of the number of plaintiffs being heard at one time.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, one dissenting vote

What does the U.S. Supreme Court have to do with mesh litigation?   Simply look at the Bristol Myers Squibb decision.   In June, the U.S. Supreme Court dealt a blow to injured consumers seeking redress in a court of their choosing, with Judge Sonya Sotomayor the only dissenting vote.

The decision led to  cases thrown out of a Missouri court where talcum powder/ovarian cancer cases are being heard and Boston Scientific and Johnson & Johnson attempted to have nearly 100 pelvic mesh cases thrown out of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, citing Bristol Myers Squibb. See MND coverage here.

2017 JNJ Campaign

April 2017 – Campaigners gathers in New Brunswick, New Jersey for the annual J&J Shareholders meeting. One woman inside spoke to Alex Gorsky and the Board of Directors about her pain from a DePuy Hip implant.  While cameras on the second story of the State Theater focused on the injured crowd outside, inside, investors heard stories of how the company focuses on “Sustainability” and “Putting Patients First.”  MND was there, read it here.

June 2017– CR Bard Appears to Remove Pelvic Mesh Products from the Market, In June, C.R. Bard was sold to Becton Dickinson for $24 billion. After that Bard appears to have cleared its pelvic meshes from inventory.

January 2017 – Caldera Medical appears to have settled its transvaginal mesh cases with the smaller amount given to the injured among all of the manufacturers.   This privately held company has announced plans to sell its pelvic meshes to third world countries. MND coverage here.

In January, Danish researchers  (here) concluded that TOT Mesh has twice the risk of reoperation of transvaginal tape. TVT-O has already been found defectively designed in several product liability trials.

Host of Radar

Media Coverage has been huge during 2017, more so than ever before.  While a documentary in the U.S. is underway, The Netherlands aired an expose on J&J in its Radar Program, (here) concluding the healthcare giant knew the risks of Prolift before it was launched in 2015.

The BBC in September talked to men in pain from hernia mesh (here) and in December, BBC’s Panorama magazine ran The Operation that Ruined my Life, (here) a half-hour devoted to EU mesh issues.

By | 2018-01-07T22:39:44+00:00 December 30th, 2017|News|30 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Tammy Jackson December 30, 2017 at 8:08 pm - Reply

You forgot our JNJ shareholders Rally in April 2017

• Jane Akre December 31, 2017 at 11:01 am - Reply

So right,,,,apologies!!! I will revise. I also forgot supreme court decision on venue!!!

• Kitty January 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Tammy..Please advise on that shareholders rally. Do u believe the shareholders care about us? I believe they would shut us down for a buck.

2. Lordhelpus December 30, 2017 at 10:36 pm - Reply

I believe God is doing something new this coming year!! I believe that a lot, (if not all) of these cases will be done with. I also believe that these guys will be exposed big-time!! Happy New Year all!! If God is with us, who can be against us?!

• Anon January 1, 2018 at 12:12 pm - Reply

So true Lordhelpus! Roman 8:31

3. Cate December 30, 2017 at 11:13 pm - Reply

11days post op removal for me of Boston Scientific Advantage sling. I have a lot of nerve pain as I’ve been mutilated yet again scraping this toxic material out of my body. A mix of electric shocks and stings in my clitoris and vagina all that was started by this mesh and now need how long to heal so I can be somewhat normal? Many women continue to have this damage after removal. A 10 min walk is a big deal.
    Nice to see all this info in one place, it gives hope. Mesh is a nightmare and has ruined thousands of women’s lives.
    Somehow, the pharmaceutical companies don’t give a dam about how they are mutilating women and causing debilitating pain and have been for decades now. Mesh does not belong in the human body!
    A car has a defect, it gets recalled.
    Thousands of women world wide suffer and they just keep a little slush fund for the very few who have the energy, the money and time to fight them. Just disgusting!

4. M L A December 31, 2017 at 2:20 pm - Reply

I have begged doctors to remove the last of the Boston Scientific mesh and they asked me why? I have explained that I have had over 24 UTI’s just this year and did not have all of these until I was implanted with mesh. They have told me that the mesh could not have caused these infections. I just want it out. It doesn’t work anyway and why shouldn’t I have a say in what is going on with my body?

• Jane Akre December 31, 2017 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Your doctors are ignorant of what is occurring in the real world. In some the mesh incites infections and a foreign body response. Perhaps they could follow the work of pathologist Vladimir Iakovlev or Dr. Robert Bendavid in Toronto. I’m sorry your doctors are not keeping up with the latest literature…….

5. Anonymous January 2, 2018 at 12:11 pm - Reply

I’m beginning to lose all hope. I’ve been going through this for 5 years now working on my six year. Multiple surgeries and still in pain. Doctors have told me this is my life for now on the nerve damage is permanent. And so I wait and wait and wait. I wait for the company that disabled me and destroyed me to offer a settlement that I can accept. they have all the paperwork they know all the issues but they have not yet made a offer that I can accept. How long do we have to wait?? This is ridiculous something has to be done! Can we contact judge Goodwin? even if we put it anonymously to tell him that this is not working and the public is not being served by his being on the bench anymore he’s not doing a damn thing to make these companies make an offer that’s reasonable and put these cases to bed. all I want to do is be able to get the medical care and the further treatment that I need but I can’t afford any more doctor bills. But this is utterly ridiculous that it takes this long and I want someone to tell me how we can get this moving. I don’t know if I can take another year of sitting here and waiting. a new year is here and I can’t think of one thing to look forward to. There has to be an answer to get people taking care of you can’t just sit and wait and wait and wait until they decide they should not be in control we should be! I believe in God but sometimes I wonder if he hasn’t turned his back on this and I don’t know why. guess I’m just really super depressed tired of the pain tired of the waiting and I’m really tired of nobody seeming like they care who are in control of our cases

• Jane Akre January 2, 2018 at 12:14 pm - Reply

I’m so sorry…. there is very little one can do to make a company offer more… Little the Judge can do. I think filing criminal charges with the possibility of jailing some of the executives might start a fire under them.

• Anon January 2, 2018 at 7:01 pm - Reply

I totally agree Jane! There should be criminal charges brought against them. What they have done to us… our (bodies and our lives) is a crime.

• Kitty January 3, 2018 at 2:13 am - Reply

Our injuries may seem obtuse to people that we meet on the street or work with. Pelvic floor—-Unseen…We are a silent army of twisted pain. It us taking so long to get my compounded vaginal suppositorIes from this hick town i live in. This hick town is really a large city…far away from the best Drs’ in the US. Also Jane thank u for partnering with the D Mannose people.

• Kitty January 3, 2018 at 11:46 am - Reply

What attorney would go up against them. It will come out in years to come…just like wooden teeth. These traps are archaic. ??? Spelling

6. Anonymous January 3, 2018 at 4:56 pm - Reply

You know they say that our congressmen and Senators can’t do anything either. So does that mean we are completely helpless here? We have no Avenues whatsoever we’re at their Mercy? Since when is that possible in the United States of America? It’s mind-numbing! It’s beyond imagination, that there is no one that can make these big companies do anything but what they want. They definitely have too much power and there has to be somebody that will bring them to their knees. I don’t know who that is but I think I am going to start a fire! Calling Congressman calling Senators calling everybody that I can think of until something is done. This is The United States of America end of our judicial system has gotten so corrupt that this can happen to innocent victims then something is very wrong with this country. And it must be stopped. I’m not asking anybody to get involved in my case I’m asking them as a whole to advise these people to start making reasonable offers and to move it along. I just can’t believe this is happening in this country to defenseless women

• mar January 5, 2018 at 11:47 am - Reply

I am with you if groups dont start taking settlements we will never get anywhere and lots will die i am not saying take pennies but a reasonable offer.

• Kitty January 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm - Reply

Yes …many of the Dr’s were males…but the women Dr’s I had were the most cruel. The last Woman uro/gun dug so deep in my pelvis..I was in severe pain for >2 days. I went back to her and questioned her about the exam and asked for translabial ultrasound and she stated they don’t have that test and there was nothing she could do about it. She…by the way is one of the top contributors to AUGS. THIS WHOLE WOMEN THING IS A SHAM. I will take a male Dr anyday

• Jane Akre January 7, 2018 at 9:05 pm - Reply

wondering who this doctor is…. do you care to share?

• Kitty January 9, 2018 at 11:43 pm

I can’t say at this point Jane…but I am trusting another woman specialist that has been trained by one of the best ob/gyn surgeons in the west. I cannot afford to travel such a distance to the male Dr. Again.

• Jane Akre January 10, 2018 at 9:35 am

Please share the name if you ha e a good outcome….thank you.

• Never the Same January 9, 2018 at 12:06 pm - Reply

I agree, my implanting physician/butcher was a woman who was highly respected and highly recommended. When two weeks post op I started having problems she told me I was crazy and there was nothing wrong. When the FDA finally started to acknowledge and lawsuits started coming to light she left town. Whose crazy now? Witch. I was grateful to have a very caring female refer me to a male doctor who did my removal. I did have to leave the city I lived in to have it down as no one in that town would even consider removal. Such a shame that women are doing this to women. How’s that for Me Too!

• Kitty January 9, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Dear Never the Same….it is so true the cruel way women treat each other….and then…like various billionaires CRY about their misery and discrimination. They should get down on their knees and thank g_d for their fortune to be bright enough to make a living in the USA.

7. Anonymous January 5, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

You know I was sitting here this morning listening once again about sexual harassment of of women. I was listening how all the women are going to be wearing black at the Golden Globes to support all women. Perhaps we should start sending letters to these women if they really want to stop in an atrocity that’s happening to women help us. We are being mutilated by male doctors who cared care less whether or not we’re made better only if their bank accounts get bigger. We have been lied to experimented on disabled and made to feel like it was all our fault. If these women really want to do something help us

• Jane Akre January 5, 2018 at 9:04 pm - Reply

That is a very good idea… a new group formed in Hollywood to stop the sexual harassment and threats to women….

8. A January 5, 2018 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Dear jane akre
    Hope you had some rest over the holiday may 2018 be a better year for all of our mesh survivors including me…
    Didn’t know I would have more questions, however I do…

My law office…Potts Law-mesh litigation office, has no news as to why my case which they say is already
    “settled” isn’t moving forward with settlement offer or at least what the delay may be…
    I have tried to get answers as to my questions to no avail…
    Is there any other place I can go to find out more about a case that seems inactive or in limbo, somewhere…
    I have checked with njcourts.gov
    and i’t still listed, and looks like
    possibly a waiting period for reasons unknown…
    I am a squeaky wheel but don’t want to go too far..
    My gut feeling is that negotiations about the final settlement haven’t been reached yet…and some time will be needed…
    I just would like some kind of time frame estimate date…I can’t feel it’s going to happen early this year.
    Thanks for letting me vent…
    Take care

9. Disgusted January 6, 2018 at 11:21 pm - Reply

So much needless suffering! It is all about money. How any doctor can say it’s a good product that mostly helps women is beyond me. They also state that other procedures have the same complications. PURE LIE! Only MESH causes erosion into organs and this horrific pain that comes along with it. Wrong on so many levels. I hope someone who can make a big dent in this travesty does, this year!!

• Jane Akre January 7, 2018 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I’m listening to the Golden Globes this evening about violence and sexual harassment of women and I can’t help but equate this mesh mess to violence against women, sexual violence and mutilation. Then adding insult to injury, doctors turning their backs on women and abandoning their patients, or even worse. telling them the pain is imagined, in their head and they need mental help. Violence, sexual mutilation, humiliation, derogatory dismissal… all the elements are there for some doctor.

• Kitty January 9, 2018 at 11:55 pm - Reply

Yes…disgusted…u are right do u ever hear of pacemakers or stents eroding into hearts or lungs?;

10. Georgia January 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm - Reply

How can I find out what group I’m in? I know they broke up the group according to injury, but looks like there may be another bunch of groups.

• Jane Akre January 15, 2018 at 11:22 am - Reply

Georgia- Please check the So District of WV website and click on your particular manufacturer. I’m assuming you are filed there, please advise if you are not. If you click on Orders, you can see what the judge has decided as to the Waves, or groupings of cases. let me know if you have trouble janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com