May Flowers and Mesh Friendships

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, May 1, 2017 ~ Hello to everyone. I hope this May finds you in a hopeful mood and  regaining your health.

If not, I certainly hope you can connect with the mesh community that seems to be springing up all over the Internet!

Please reach out to others who may need a helping hand, a reference or just a shoulder to cry on.

(This site is not a legal referral service and does not constitute medical or legal advice.  Please consult with a professional.  It is run by a journalist and supported by advertising.)

I just returned from the Johnson & Johnson annual shareholder’s meeting, where many campaigners took to the street outside the State Theater to let shareholders and CEO Alex Gorsky know their true profit is only known when they acknowledge the harm that’s been done.

Inside the theater, a rehearsed presentation ensued electing the 10 members of the Board of Directors amid a rally about the health of the J&J stock. I was struck by the words “sustainable” and “people come first”  as part of the company’s credo, repeated by the CEO. How did that square with the people across the street?

April 27, 2017 campaigner

About 30 women and their families protested J&J in an orderly, heart-felt, display, complete with signs and chanting.  These are the women who could make it here, I thought. Each one  represents at least 10,000 mesh implanted women who can’t make it to a mesh rally, because they are too sick or broke from fighting to regain their health!  And that doesn’t even begin to include the one million hernia mesh implants a year!

All use polypropylene!  Some day in the not so distant future, we may come to recognize that this cheap plastic is not an ideal, bio-compatible material for an implant, I believe. Especially a permanent implant.

Mesh Medical Device News Desk has been reporting on the issues for five years now and the calls are only growing. So are the  cases. There are now 102,000 product liability cases filed in one West Virginia court, consolidated in multidistrict litigation.  Another 10,000 are filed around the  country.

2017 JNJ Campaign

Also increasing is the media coverage. Internationally, the media is less afraid to report of Pharmaceutical Giants, so we see front page stories in Scotland, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

Here in the U.S. a flashing screen inside the meeting of all of the J&J products, from Benadryl, Aveeno, Neutrogena, Imodium, Roc, Baby products, the list goes on and on.  Someone sitting nearby said no wonder we don’t hear about the problems in this country.

If you have been injured by mesh, please visit these pages, Use the Search Bar to find out more about your manufacturer.  Understand the issues, speak to your doctors and lawyers. And insist they speak to you! Read more on mesh law firms here.

If mesh has been suggested to you, ask if the doctor can do a non-mesh repair. Are you a candidate?  A doctor without those skills might not be your first choice.  Be an informed consumer, something you may have to do for yourself, since so many doctors remain in the dark about polypropylene mesh and its potential complications.

As I was leaving the shareholder’s meeting, a man standing next to Mr. Gorsky asked me if I had a question. Gorsky had just turned away and I didn’t get to speak to him.   I noted this suited man’s name tag said Executive VP and General Counsel. Perfect, I thought.

Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas

My one question was since Mr. Gorsky had insisted the company was about sustainability, is the present situation of fighting mesh- injured women in court sustainable, since the company had lost so many cases so far? Might a multi-billion dollar global settlement be in the works?

He looked at me as though I had grown two heads, and suddenly turned his shoulder while muttering something about not discussing litigation. In a flash he was gone.

Little did I know that at that same hour, a Philadelphia jury was delivering the third verdict for a plaintiff in another mesh trial – $20 million, which included $17.5 million in punitive damages!

That meant among three trials in one Philadelphia courtroom, J&J was facing $34.5 million in punitive damages alone.

Can any company say those record losses represent sustainability?

Take care of yourself and take care of each other, and carry on!

Your editor,

Jane akre

1. Anon says:

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU for always being there for us! You deserve the awards and recognition just as much as the lady running the Sling The Mesh campaign. I know someday you will be recognized for all your time, effort, energy and work helping us all get through this mess! Someday our media will decide to do the right thing rather than the easy thing!!!!! You are a godsend!!!!!

2. Kitty says:

Jane.. you are too funny. Can’t say too much more…but that brief meeting u had was a hoot . HA… laughed so hard. Thank you so much. Looked like u had Bruce there.

3. Victim Forever says:

MAY DAY…MAY DAY…GET JUDGE IN WEST VIRGINIA TO DO HIS “DUE DILIGENCE” AND GET THIS BACKLOG OF MESH CASES DONE…J&J ATTORNEYS NEED A TVT-O ON THEIR TONGUES…CORPORATE NAZIS.

4. Diva64 says:

Jane I wish you and all out Mesh Sisters and Brothers a wonderful summer. As I lay here in pain, trying to find a position to get into I realise that the Mesh Manufactures need to factor in the cost of a swimming pool for us each. There may be no other way to get comfort. I can’t sit I hurt, I can only stand about 10 min. Without pain, I went to the store travel, shopping for a few item, waiting in line to check out, three hours later there is no comfortable position the pain is a 9 to 10 on the pain charts. I try lying on the left side ,pain in my back, right side pain , can’t lay on my stomach still have those anchors feeling like knives staffing me. Can’t lay on my back, can’t apply pressure to the spine, so the only place I know where there might be a chance is floating on a raft in a swimming pool
    I believe they cost about 30K then you would need the enclosure not sure whst that would cost several thousand, so I think Judge Godwom needs to send those Mesh Manufactures back to the.countaing table as the crumbs there offering is not going to do it for any of us. Compare the figures we have read lately to the lady in PA that just received 11Milliom dollar settlement and they are so far from that amount in WV

• Kitty says:

The pool is the best PT…but it is expensive and hard to do excercises with water joggers acting like they own the entire pool and actually blocking u out.

5. Tammy (KY) says:

Jane,
    It was a wonderful week, Rally, Documentary and being with my Mesh Sisters and Brothers. So thankful you and Joleen Chambers were there with us. Until next MAM Rally….be blessed, I was so thankful to meet you after all these years.

6. Mary says:

Jane we are so glad to get your reports on the mesh we really appreciate you so much always look forward to hear from you thank you so much .lately i have not received any emails , mary

7. Dianne D says:

I have two mesh appointments in Saint Louis next week Hope to finally get some answers. My personal doctor and my OBGYN say it’s possible my neurological problems could be caused by the mesh. Hope to live long enough to make them pay for ruining my life. No crumbs. Justice!

8. Anonymous says:

I just received an offer from Ethicon. It seems they are starting to settle some cases in waves.

• Meee says:

Do you feel your offer from Ethicon is a fair offer? I know you can’t get into specifics, and I am not asking you to but curious if you feel it is a good offer?

• Jean says:

Was an insult !!!

• Anonymous says:

I don’t think it is fair but I am going to accept it. After lawyer and court fees I’ll be lucky if I see half. The insurance company wants reimbursed also. However they do negotiate it down. It just seems crazy since I paid my insurance premiums. I was told my offer was more than some of the others because I had two devices implanted and a few corrective surgeries.

Will they pay the common benefit fund, which is 5%, out of the law firm’s portion? It is their cost of doing business….It pays to ask.

9. Jean says:

Has anyone else noticed that on the mdl sight it showing there case is closed but you didn’t take the settlement offer?? Should it be like this?

10. Suzanne says:

Maybe someone needs to file a case against the MDL.

11. Vicky says: