How to Look Up Your Pelvic Mesh Case

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, January 2, 2017 ~ Many of you already know how to look up your pelvic mesh case filed in federal court. Here is a step-by-step way to find it through a Google Search.

This applies only to the cases consolidated in multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of WV. Your editor is not a lawyer so always follow the advice of your law firm.

Welcome to 2017!

This is the first story filed in the new year and it comes from a woman who was having trouble looking up her case in multidistrict litigation in Charleston, WV.

That was the jurisdiction chosen as a home for the thousands of pelvic mesh cases that have been filed so far in one federal court. There were so many in this Mass Tort, that it was decided by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation to form a MDL court to handle all of the rulings so they could be consistent.

So if you are filed here, and many cases are, here’s what you need to know:

First- Go to the MDL,  Southern District of West Virginia here.  http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov/

Now – Scroll down to the middle lower half of the page.  You will see Multidistrict  Litigation box.

Click – On your manufacturer. You will need to know this. Do you have your medical records?  If not, please obtain them.  You must keep a copy of all of your records. Do not hand the entire thing onto your law firm. Keep your own copy.

Click – On your manufacturer, let’s say C.R. BARD.

See- The Numerical list of Cases in the small red print up top?  Click on that.  It opens up to list 14,799 cases. Total closed as of today January 2, 2017 is 6,602.

Click- On the Search in the upper right hand corner.

Put in the last name you are searching, say Smith. Click Search.

You should see all of the Smith plaintiffs listed.  The information includes your case number, the date your case was filed. The defendant. the originating district case number, for example if you filed in Western Missouri, the case number was different in state court.  And if applicable, the date your case was closed.

That’s it!!

If you need to look up your case further, you can get a PACER account (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) which is a government site allowing access to your federally filed cases. See PACER here.  Cost is about 10 cents a page, unless it’s a court order in which case that is free.

Also if you go back to So District of WV you can find in small red print at the top of the page under Orders and see what Orders Judge Goodwin has issued concerning your manufacturer.

Back to C.R. Bard, we see Pretrial Order #232 was issued December 15, 2016 and it is a request by the law firm Motly Rice to enter an Order before the court for a Confidential Master Settlement Agreement between Defendant Covidien and Plaintiffs’ Counsel.

The Uppopposed Motion is Granted. Read it here

Covidien is named as a co-defendant in some cases for supplying mesh to C.R. Bard.

See the MND story here:

1. Frustrated In Mo says:

would there be a reason why my case isn’t showing? i see a pending court date in my local court but not the federal court link. i settled in 08/2016

Perhaps your case was filed in state court?…. then it would not show up in the federal court in WV.

• frustrated in mo says:

mine was filed in local court. I saw a court date set for 4/3/2017. its says “Stipulation of Dismissal without Prejudice ” now I look at it and its been rescheduled until 12/22/2017 and says” Dismissal Hearing Scheduled” Does this mean I could possibly be waiting until the end of the year to finally be paid?

That would be an excellent question for you law firm. Dismissal hearing means your case could be dismissed. Why? Because it’s over or because you are being dropped as a client? Or you are being remanded to another court? There is no way of knowing from here. Answering questions is part of the job of your law firm so please be vigilant in making sure you know the status of your case.

• FRUSTRATED IN MO says:

Thing is I already signed settlement agreement back in August of 2016 and supposedly am just waiting of my settlement check, so all of this is very confusing

Did that firm file your case? Do you have a case number?

2. kris says:

i dont see my company there?

3. Fay says:

I have looked up my case but there is nothing how can I find out what is going on the lawyer called me 3 months ago and said I would be receiving something but I haven’t seen anything

4. Debra says:

Referring attorney seeking client’s claim. Unable to access open claims on the Bard MLD #2187 cases pending link. PTO named admin’r appointed to write checks on Amegy Bk escrow acct. Also grid does not show complete dates (e.g. “May 15-20” no actual year) Closed cases only are available thru link

5. leslie says:

I found my name. It says case closed…. What does this mean? I did sign papers agreeing to settlement months ago, but never got anything final..

• leslie says:

mine says case closed. I signed settlment papers last year but have not gotten anymore communication…..what do I make of that?

Leslie- I’m so sorry that your law firm has not explained this to you. I’m not a lawyer but for the 40% or 33% they are getting I’d become the squeaky wheel……it is your right to receive communication at the very least!

6. Tonya says:

Does any one know about the
    temporary holdback fund for those that have extraordinary medical issues

7. Erin says:

Hello, well first of all when I discovered this site a few months ago and looked up my case in wvsd 2325 I was SHOCKED that it was filed in Jan. 2017 when I attained my lawyer….ummm in 2014! Why did they take soooo long to file it? Yes I was giving them additional medical info that pertained along the way (which I thought was weird) but I thought maybe it could be added to my “case” until it was settled (not that the lawyers were sitting on it)! I know that I should have been more informed and stayed in better contact but like many, I have major anxiety (shame), depression and enough suffering around this mesh-mess…I simply just never wanted to add one more thing/minute to the never ending list/time robbed from me, my life and my family. So they gave me some lame reason of wanting to get everything before filing and “remember when we sent that packet to sign?”… I told them yes, and I thought that was us coming to a close, not BEGINING AND REMEMBER how I told you that I am extremely anxious over this so please explain everything to me like I am a 12 year old??? I guess they didn’t rember that (or care).
    Which brings me to today… I was already having a crappy day, my pudendal nerve surgery got pushed back, my sweet autistic son was bullied (and recorded on Snapchat and shared around the middle school), just in a ton of physical (& emotional pain) and my marriage therapy this afternoonseemed to make things even worse. So I figure, why not- I should check up on my case. Drum roll… now it says it is closed and has been since 8/25/17!?!! I have heard NOTHING, not a word! No letter, no call. What does this mean? Did I get an offer months ago? Did my lawyers possibly accept or reject? Did my case possibly get dropped? Yes, I know I need to call my lawyers and I will… but I am literally too frozen with anxiety and fear to even do that right now… Sorry if this is long, out of line or inappropriate in any other way. Thanks for letting me vent. Sending my best to all…

I will write you privately Erin but have you received any settlement papers at all? Have you signed any? Many folks are finding their cases closed when they have not agreed to a settlement or a trial, they are essentially in limbo. Why did they take so long to file? I’m anxious too know the name of your law firm… janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com