Liz Reece: Suffering in Silence Until "Angel" Doctor Removed Surgical Mesh

Liz Reece is a 48-year-old woman from Oxfordshire, United Kingdom who had a mild case of incontinence.

“I went into an Oxford hospital’s pelvic clinic for incontinence and had the urodynamics test which showed mild stress incontinence,” she told MDND. Informed Consent?

The divorced mother of two teenagers was told by a medical trainee in the clinic that the senior gynecologist said she could “have the TVT”. Reece says there was no discussion of alternatives and no pelvic physical therapy mentioned. “She did not explain any complications at all, did not give me information nor explain that I would need time off work afterwards” says Reece. “I should have asked questions but I trusted what I had been offered,” she said. After all, the surgeon was a gynecologist in charge of the clinic. Reece received the GyneCare TVT mesh by Johnson & Johnson in February 2011 and took two weeks off work as a career and higher education adviser in an international college.

Because she had not received any warnings of what to look for, Reece was surprised when she woke up from surgery. “I had more pain than when I had my children without pain relief. It was agony.”

Liz Reece

She went home and two weeks later Reece says she was still in agony.

“I started having shooting pains in the pelvic area and I was not coping.  The meds made me ill. I could not walk. I was literally moving with a shuffle and I had to walk at college a lot. I could not pee, not have intercourse with my new partner, no way.”

And Reece says it got worse.

A Second Opinion

She returned to her General Practitioner with complaints shooting pains like a knife twisting inside me and burning sensation in pubic area – I was in a bad way. I had been very active. It was very, very tough.”  The GP thought that one of the insertion points of the mesh was infected. The GP referred her back to the gynecologist.. An ultrasound did not show the tape and the gynecologist – the original surgeon – couldn’t find anything wrong. Reece says she was told she probably had nerve damage and she could choose physiotherapy or have the mesh removed. That was when she asked the hospital for a consult with the patient advice liaison service in the hospital whose job it is to help people with complications.

“They are very, very good. I was quite assertive and asked for a second opinion.”  Then the numbness began.  It gradually worsened to include all one side (left) and included face and hands.

That is when she met with the surgeon who would come to her rescue. Dr. Natalia Price at Oxford Gynecology found mesh poking through her skin where the infection was and she could feel the tape through the vaginal wall. Listening to her options, she decided to have Dr. Price remove the mesh completely and laparoscopically, working together with another senior urogynecologist.

Mesh removed after 3 months

Reece had the mesh removed on May 9, 2011.

Mesh Smelled Like Acrylic Plastic

“I felt different immediately. My face brightened according to my partner. My mother could see the difference” she says during recovery. “She did a beautiful job” says Reece of Dr. Price. “She was amazing and so skilled,” Reece says of the six abdominal incisions and vaginal stitches which were barely noticeable. Reece kept the mesh in her freezer as sort of a memento to her traumatic health challenge. She says it smelled like acrylic plastic, similar to the smell she once encountered in a plastics factory.

Reece says word is getting out about Dr. Price and Oxford Gynecology and she wants more to know about her chapter. “I talk about it freely because I think it’s important.  I can now sneeze without leaking; it’s been addressed with exercise. I was taught how to do exercises and it’s working. That’s where we should have started.”

Ten weeks after removal, Reece was back surfing, cycling, walking and almost back to normal. She calls her urogynecologist surgeon “amazing” and under Britain’s National Health Service she didn’t pay a dime for the surgery although she knows the cost was high.

“As a mother, a partner of a wonderful man I want to spend my life with, a worker responsible for many young people, I hear stories of mothers and grandmothers who can’t pick up their children and women who can’t work.  Mesh pain is not a little bit of pain, it’s like barbed wire inside.

“‘I’ve talked to many women with mesh problems and I know what it’s like.  My heart goes out to all those suffering mesh pain and not able to find a way out.  I’m one of the lucky ones and I realize that and thank Dr. Price every day for her skills and empathy.”

1. Teresa says:

“barb-wire” that is a perfect description of the pain!

2. Jill says:

Thanks to Liz sharing her story, I found Natalia Price and last week she successfully removed my TVT after eighteen months of horrible pain. She is a wonderful, caring surgeon and my angel too.

I’m so glad to hear a second endorsement of a doctor. If you have had a good or bad experience, please share here as it can only help others who are now scrambling to find providers to take out the mesh! Thanks for adding your word.

Jane Akre

3. verna says:

Thanks for sharing your story Liz. Do you know what the measurements of the mesh are in the picture of what was removed from you? Did your doctor indicate that this was all of it? Thanks again

• Liz Reece says:

Hi Verna,

I didn’t ask for the full length although with hindsight, that might have been good. That is just a few centimetres in my pot and the photo. On my notes it says 100% removal and several times the surgeons that removed it said that they had got it all out.

How do I know it’s been a complete removal. Well, I don’t, although my immediate ‘recovery’ in just my feeling and face suggests that things were good as I came around from the anaesthetic, and the lack of any pain – better than I’d feared as hardly any nerve pain either – suggests that the mesh has been removed as fully as was visible by the human eye. I accept that there may be filaments left but the previous problems with the insertion points being infected were quickly healed, and the full recovery suggests that I am mesh free. I cannot prove it in any other way. Best wishes, Liz

• verna says:

Thats very helpful. I had a doctor remove some of the mesh in 2004, but a new set of symptoms have come up in the past 1 1/2 years. I was in Vancouver Bc at UBC hospital to see a surgeon last week, he was utterly annoyed with me, almost hostile, insisting that he was satisfied that the previous doc had removed the mesh. The lab results from 2004 show 2 pieces removed. The larger portion measures 0.0 x 0.3 x .0.2 cm the smaller is 0.5 x 0.4 x 0.2 cm. I found a measurement of the Johnson & Johnson product used, is 1.1 x 12 cm. So obviously there is still tape in me. My life has been completely compromised.

I am so happy to hear your situation has been resolved Liz, and thank you for your transparency, it helps those of us who are still struggling to find hope.

• verna says:

ooops. largest piece of mesh was 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.2

• Liz Reece says:

Hi Verna,

It’s so upsetting when the medics accuse YOU of being in the wrong, I think! It doesn’t look as though much of your mesh was removed, I agree. So am I right in thinking that your 2004 removal was partial to your knowledge, so you are now seeking further help as things have got worse, and the new doc says you have had enough removed?! I have no doubt that bits of mesh left in the body can lead to problems as they can migrate and adhere which you obviously don’t want. The mesh can also deteriorate and fragment. The research that Jane has put on here by Dr Ostergaard is a good start point and I have more summarised if you would like it!

Good luck – I’m so sorry that you are having to deal with more mesh pain. It’s nightmare stuff.

Liz

• tracey says:

hi liz i have just read your story would you definetly reccomend natalia price as i need tvt removing been in severe pain since i had it done last october i want to make sure i have the best surgeon available to remove this mesh i want my life back i live in stokeontrent but obviously will be willing to travel to oxford to be normal again how long did you have to stay in hospital and how quickly did you start to recover and when did you return to work iam desperate to have this removed asap there is a chance i will loose my home if something isnt done very soon as iam unable to return to work because of the pain i would appreciate a reply thankyou so much

4. verna says:

Hi Liz

My surgery was in 2004, immediately I couldn’t pee and had excrutiating pain when standing or walking for longer that 5-10 min. After a week of being in and out of emergency room with a bursting bladder in full painful spasm needing catheterizing, I was taught to self catheterize. No one would listen to me, I was on a mild antidepressant prior to my TVT procedure, so the stance the doctors took was to prescribe valium because all i needed to do was relax and things would improve. No addressing the fact that I couldn’t walk or stand or more than minutes at a time due to the extreme pelvic pain. I was told we were waiting for my bladder to retrain itself and for gravity to do its job. Infection after infection and months later, I could no longer thread the catheter bleeding and pain on every attempt. The mesh had eroded through my urethra causing an obstruction, of course explaining the cutting pain. An emergency cystoscopy was done and a foley put in place until 2 months later when after seeing 3 different urologists, one was able to snip the bits of mesh in the urethra, with some pursuation he was able to get the threads out of the way., and take out the bits of mesh I expained earlier. After that I was able to pee again and the pain when walking and standing was gone.

After that I experienced debilitating depression, and mild lower back pain that gradually got more troublesome with time. Since my TVT 7 years ago still depression has become a way of life for me,my husband and I have been unable to have sexual intercourse due to extreme pain. In the past 1 1/2 years i am experiencing worsened lower back pain, terrible pelvic aching that travels across my bottom and down the backs of my legs, sitting is the worst. It has been getting worse at an alarming rate. I’ve had to quit my job because any bit of physical activity(even a bowel movement) makes the aching so bad I have to lay with a hot water bottle between my legs for some relief. Driving extended periods of time I sit with my feet on the dash board to relieve some of the pressure, and of course depression, depression, depression.

Your story and others like it, have helped me to gather the information I need to pursue what I know must happen, and that is, to get the mesh out! I researched the measurements of the mesh they used on me, 1.1 x 12 cm. What was taken out of me is only a fraction largest peice, 0.9x 0.3×0.2cm smallest 0.5×0.4×0.2 cm. So only a fraction was removed.

I went to see a surgeon a few weeks ago at UBC Urological Sciences Hospital in Vancouver. The nurse who was to do my urodynamic was unable to do the procedure. After 3 painful attempts, even using freezing and a pediatric catheter, was hitting an obstruction, I assume is deviated scar tissue from previous surgery.. I was so upset, she told me I was in good hands, the surgeon was the most caring gentle doctor she had ever worked with. But when he arrived and listened to my history that brought me there, he became almost hostile, dismissive and impatient. He did manage to do a cystoscopy after more freezing,(abandoned the urodynamic) saw no mesh in mid urethra or in the bladder, then told us to go home, get a candle or some other household item the size of a penis and practice for a few weeks to desensitize the area, then when we were brave enough to try again, he thought we’d have success. PARDON? He suggested the pain and aching in pelvis and down back of legs was due to another underlying condition that he couldn’t speculate on. In the letter he sent to my doctor he did acknowledge the possibility of pudendal nerve damage, my GP thought the same. Recommended no further surgery due to past trauma in the area. ( after googling him when I got home, I found he is one of the urologist in Canada involved in clinical trials of TVT Johnson & Johnson mesh, HMMMMMM?)

We have sent a referral to see another surgeon. We got his name off of the Facebook page ” Canadian Victims of Transvaginal Mesh”. He has agreed to try removing the mesh for another woman on the site, hoping he will do the same for me.

It is only since late spring this year that I even found out that the mesh was a defective devise. I saw an ad on CNN advertising legal assitance to mesh sufferers. I wasn’t thinking that the mesh could be attributing to the problems that were escalating for me, until this September, I went online and started googling. I was floored to see that the things I was experiencing were the very things that other people were experiencing.

So once again Liz, THANK YOU so very much for sharing your story, its accounts like these that are giving me the essential information to get the help mesh sufferers need and potential victims the courage to say NO.

Also a BIG THANK YOU to Jane Akre for her tireless work on behalf of mesh victims and potential victims alike.

Thanks for listening Liz! I wish you all the Best!

Verna

5. Liz Reece says:

I’m really glad if my story and the message of hope it is meant to give, can help.

Yes – many thanks to Jane for her tireless work. I know that she is doing a great deal to raise awareness and to try and help those harmed by mesh. The early work she did with Suzanne, and Suzanne’s continuing research, all make me wonder what it takes to get the ‘medical protection agencies’ such as the MHRA and FDA to sit up and take notice.

Take care and good luck,

Liz

6. Peggy says:

It is heartbreaking to read this and to see they are still implanting these. I had my surgery 5 years ago and went through exactly the same thing. The nerve damage is permanent, even though they took out the mesh. I probably have a neuroma (benign tumor full of nerve endings where the nerve was cut).

I hope and pray some day there will be a total and permanent recall of all those slings (which are MADE IN CHINA) and a really reasonable payment for pain and suffering.

If you are in the US and haven’t made a complaint to the FDA, please do. Fill out as much information as you can get from your medical record (obtain from hospital). Specifically ask your hospital to give you a copy of the label that was on your sling. It is in your medical record but most medical records clerks don’t know how to find it unless you insist they look for a copy of a label. (sticker).

Only the very rare doctor will file this Adverse Reaction report but citizens can make the report themselves. This will make sure the statistics start adding up to the real situation. I filed my report 4 years ago and have helped many other women do the same. How many more men, yes! and women have to suffer from this? Facebook page “Get Rid of Synthetic Surgical Mesh”. Peggy

7. I read Liz’s posts with great interest and I’m really pleased to see that after removal of the mesh she has had a good recovery. That certainly can’t be said for a lot of people who experience problems with these products. Jane asked me to comment on this thread as I am from a firm of solicitors that is dealing with a large group of claimants in the North West of England who have undergone poor urogynaecological treatment . The vast majority have been given TVTs/TOTs to treat bladder incontinence, but there are also patients who have had meshes to treat general vaginal prolapses. It’s probably the largest group of individual claimants running any form or urogynae claims in the world at the moment and it does give us a very good appreciation of the particular problems that arise in this area.

For example, we look closely at the reasons why a mesh was used in the first place and whether alternative treatments were considered and/or risks discussed. The claims we are looking at are not against the manufacturer of the meshes, but the clinics/hospital that provided the treatment in the first place.

I was struck when reading Liz’s story that after the TVT was removed her symptoms resolved with simple exercise. That alone raises a question of whether or not the TVT was merited at all. Whilst there is a lot of debate over whether there is any prospect of redress against the manufacturer’s the most likely route to any form of compensation will be if it can be showed that the medical treatment fell below a reasonable standard. It is far more straightforward to prove the treatment was negligent and the that a TVT should never have been inserted than to prove that a product s defective. The recent issues with PIP implants serve to highlight this particular problem.

Of the hundreds of cases we are dealing with, the common issue seems to be a lack of adequate testing before surgery is contemplated to ensure that such treatment is justified. Surgery should not automatically be the first line of approach and conservative measures should be considered beforehand. In some cases, surgery is appropriate but there needs to be a detailed discussion of the risks associated with inserting, and removing, any mesh so that a patient is making a fully informed decision on whether or not to proceed.

If anyone has concerns in relation to their treatment I am happy to take an informal look at their case on a no obligation basis and advise on whether or not any legal claim would be merited. I can be contacted via Twitter @TVTLawyer or directly at cab@goodmanslaw.co.uk.

• Liz Reece says:

Hello Christian,

You raise some very important points for us to consider and I do agree that there are detailed points of law that need to be considered for anyone pursuing a case. I was given the rare opportunity to speak on the popular BBC Radio 4 programme, Woman’s Hour, today because I had emailed them after an interview held last year where a consultant had said that complications with TVTs are very low. I was pleased to be given the chance to air some of the issues surrounding mesh – but it was an incredibly short slot to cover all that needed coverage, with a consultant being questioned alongside me, and there are many more things I wish I’d said! But I hope that I got a few points across without scaring those women who have TVTs which are (currently) fine. You can listen on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b019gy9r

They were well aware of the work that you are doing, and it’s very good that you are able to represent those who have been harmed by mesh or inappropriate medical attention.

Best wishes,

Liz

8. Joanne says:

I’ve been in a lot of pain since my TVT-O operation in January 2009. I have had scans & got the surgeon to go back in to find out what was wrong and he couldn’t find anything. I’m still left with a lot of pain. I am going to get a second opinion on Tuesday. I’m very nervous. I’m not certain if the dr will take my complaint seriously. I don’t speak ‘medical language’ and shuffer from CFS/ME and find it difficult to concentrate, so I’ve asked a friend to come with me. She’s a GP and she pointed me to the article on Radio 4.

Any advice you can give would be gratefully received.

• Liz Reece says:

Hello Joanne,

It sounds as though you have had a terrible time for the last 4 years. As you no doubt have read, there are many people whose stories are told through these pages who have had to deal with similar misery and frustration at the lack of belief in their situation. Perhaps they give you some comfort that you are not alone.

You need information for your friend to use with the consultant next week. It sounds as though you are in the UK, so your best source of UK information is http://www.tvtinfo.wordpress.com which is full of valuable research and information – including links back to this superb site by Jane. However, sometimes you need a UK focus and you will find a lot on there. I know a number of women who have had TVTOs removed by Suzy Elneil at UCL hospital London – I don’t know of any other UK surgeons who can safely remove them.

If I may be so bold, go through the TVT info site with your friend and gather information about the dire effects of mesh, and be ready to come back at your consultant with the evidence if you get told that you are the ‘only one’ suffering. You should also point out that mesh shrinks in the body over time, so problems are sometimes not apparent for a while. There is growing anecdotal evidence that mesh causes auto immune problems – did your ME begin before or after the mesh was inserted?

There is a great deal of information now about mesh complications, using evidence based research. Make sure you have some of it to hand for your consultation. I really hope it goes well, and you are offered a referral to have the mesh removed if that is what you need.

Liz

9. Eliza says:

Hi Liz

I’m from a 35year old mother of 2 from Australia and are having problems from Tension free vaginal tape that was inserted 4 months ago. Like you, I was not advised properly on pelvic floor exercises and was told it was a simple procedure and was not told of the complications that could arise from this. I’ve gone from a really active person to having constant groin/pelvic pain and pain inside vagina. Got a second opinion and my uro-gyno removed only 4cm from under the bladder area last week. I asked for him to completely remove it. He told me he couldn’t as it is too dangerous to remove behind the pubic bone. I need to find someone else who can remove it laproscopically. I’m even thinking of coming to the UK to see Natalia Price to have it removed. Would your surgeon know of anyone in Australia who’s competent to remove it? Also, would you have any idea of the approx cost for me to have it removed in the UK. Even if I have to re-mortgage the house, I’m willing to to have this thing removed. Please help. xx

• LizR says:

Hello Eliza,

I’m so, so sorry to read your story – all too familiar with mesh, as you know from reading this brilliant site. I know just what you mean about changing from being active to being disabled by the pain and fear of further damage.

It’s terrible that there isn’t anyone in Australia that can remove the mesh safely: have you emailed Jane Akre directly as she might have picked up some names through her extensive, amazing work supporting women from around the world. Unfortunately I don’t have any knowledge of surgeons in your part of the world. Whether Natalia would know a contact is an interesting question and the best start would be to send an email to the private practice secretary http://www.oxfordgynaecology.com/Contact/Contact-Us-Private-Oxford.aspx for Natalia’s attention. Cost – I wish I could help there too.

You might find this UK site extremely helpful too: tvtinfo.wordpress.com which has been extensively researched and developed by another fellow sufferer and friend. There are some interesting posts and comments on mesh removal.

If you need any more help, do email me at lizrharris5@gmail.com

I send you my warmest wishes and know how you must feel.

Liz RH

10. Maxine says:

My advice to anyone having problems with tvt mesh is to research as much as possible, keep trying to find help and don’t give up. After 18 months of misery due to TVT mesh I have finally got an appointment to have it removed.

This dreadful stuff ruins lives and it is very hard to find people who understand or believe there is a problem which doubles the already horrendous situation so many women are finding themselves in.

My heart truly goes out to all women suffering in this way. I am so lucky to have found support. Liz has been an amazing support and I can’t thank her enough.

One day the truth about the terrible problems this mesh causes will come out and justice will be done. I pray for that day.

11. L. Elliot says:

Hi Liz, glad you managed to have your tape removed. I had tvt surgery in 2002, since then iv complained of pain in lower abdomen, at one point I was in infectious diseases ward and thyroid doctor says infection kicking off thyroid ID doc saying no sign off infection since then iv been sent back and forth from one doctor to another 2yrs ago a urologist said he would just put the blood I was passing to a bleeding bladder. Iv now been in contact with Dr. prices secretary asking if she would ask if Dr. price could recommend a doctor in Scotland to remove it so far I have phoned twice over the last 2wks but I’m still awaiting her getting back to me. Can you recommend or know someone who can recommend at doctor in Scotland who can remove this tape I wish I’d never had it put in and I’m so sick fed up of being treated like a hypochondriac

• It is sad that you have not had a reply back from Natalie Price in Oxford UK. maybe you should contact Dr Suzy Elneil at University College Hospital Euston London Urogynaecology Dept..

Teresa Hughes

• L. Elliot says:

Hi Teresa thank you for recommending Dr Suzy Elniel that’s also a possibility. I would ask though if anyone has heard of a Dr Karen Guerrero in Glasgow I think she is. I would appreciate anyone’s input who has seen this doctor. Thank you

• I have heard of this doctor in Glasgow who deals with prolapse mesh but I do not know anything about her personally.

The Scottish Facebook Mesh Survivors site may be able to help you there

What I do know is that she has not replied to other women who have contacted her and the same goes for Natalie Price in Oxford who has not replied to women who have contacted her also.

• tracey says:

hi iam sorry to hear your story but all to familier i had tvt in october 2013 had severe pain eversince constant urine infections iam now in the process of going to see either miss price or miss elneill i have been researching and there are only a few surgeons who can remove the mesh in the uk iam going to have to travel either to london or oxford and i live in stok-on-trent staffordshire but you no i dont care its got to be worth it if it will give me my life back there doesnt seem to be any surgeons in my area who can remove the tape either we all need the best of the best as this is a complex operation it needs to be taken off the market before anyone else has to suffer and suffer is an understatement if i were you i would google either or both these surgeons as i have iam having a telephone consultation with living so far away which you could also do good luck i hope iv been helpful to you i cant tell you much more as iam only just starting my journey to try and have the tvt removed but iam addiment i will succeed but i have to have it done on the nhs as the op costs 10,000 plus after care and i cant possibly raise that amount of money i have been unable to work since the op because of the pain if something isnt done soon i could loose my home its that serious take care

• L. Elliot says:

Hi Tracy iv bn reading your post, Dr. Prices secretary tells me it cost £1200 to remove plus hospital fees of£4500

Plus anesthetist £500 so yes you would be looking at nearly £6,200 plus accommodation for time in Oxford plus initial fee of £200 but it be worth it. Up in scotland there is a solicitor who fought the fight for asbestosis

Cases and is fighting for 300 women north of the border to have them removed and compensate for pain/distress suffered. If you think it wld help you to have this removed I’m happy to find you a number to call him. If I have to go private I certainly will b considering reclaiming my losses through NHS as a friend said to me they put it

In they take it out or at least pay for the privilidge of us having it removed. We are retired so I’d b dipping into our savings big time to have it removed but I’d rather b healthy.

12. L. Elliot says:

HELP PLEASE ; I have managed to get an appointment for Dr price for the 13th June, I must travel down

To oxford the day before as its a 7+ hours drive! my friend is bringing me down but we can’t get accommodation

Can anyone recommend a reasonably price B&B as we are lookin at 3-4 nights and it’s proving to be really expensive. Can anyone help we don’t mind sharing. Thank you I’d appreciate any help.

13. Jane Akre says:

Liz writes-

Try http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/john-radcliffe-hospital-headington/ and use Google maps for location and bus options.

Hope it all goes well, Liz

14. Sandra Fordham says:

Hi Liz, I have recently had tape removal by Natalia and I would be interested to discuss recovery if you wouldn’t mind?

Thanks

Sandra

15. TR says:

Does anyone have an email for Miss Price? I’m getting nowhere with her secretary and would like to contact her directly?

16. Lene Dk says:

Dear Ladies, who suffer from a tvt-mesh….are there any experience in getting The two ends at The tvt-mesh out….i Think about The complication of The operation. In Denmark The doctors Will not take this out.

Thanks Lene

17. Michelle L says:

Hello – I had a TVT procedure on 24th August 2015. I am having lots of complications which my doctor is treating as Pelvic Inflammatory Disorder ….. .I’m not so sure?! I’m not well enough to resume my day to day activities and unable to return to work at the moment. I am feeling a bit lost and scared at the moment if I’m honest. I just keep being told that the operation was a success and that the tape is in place and any problems will subside In time.

I can relate to everything that Liz has said in her article. Information from the people I trusted was very scarce, and I was never offered any alternative remedies or a uro-dynamic test.

I’m considering contacting Dr Natalia Price…..but wondered if anyone had any information on any other surgeons or people I could speak to.

Thank you.

Michelle- Tell us where you are located? I assume the UK but never assume. What did the doctor tell you to sell you on a mesh procedure if you would share? “Not the same mesh” is a common one.

• Michelle L says:

Hello – I am located Sheffield.

I was sold on the idea of having the TVT procedure by the surgeon who assured me that my days of stress-incontinence would be over! I should have asked more questions – done more research, but I whole heartedly trusted him!

I have had numerous visits to my GP who has sent me backwards and forwards to the hospital. I have been treated for the past 2 weeks for an infection, which I have been told today that I probably didn’t have.

Anyway, on a positive note – After reading the above messages I have made an appointment to see Mrs Natalia Price next week.

I would love to know how other ladies have coped with removal.

Thank you. Xx

18. Alison says:

I had surgery in Ireland may 2015. Had left side groin pain straight away which persisted for a couple of weeks. Within the first two months had a uti and microscopic blood in my urine. Have had cystitis and three other incidences of blood in urine since. Have see evidence written that this is linked to mesh erosion. Have had a cystoscopy and nothing found. Recently have started to get dull pain in lower back and tingling in thighs and feet. Hoping it’s not related. Go back to my gyni feb 2016. I’m afraid he will say nothing is wrong as cystoscopy was clear. Since I have blood he needs to investigate this. Do you know if anybody in the Republic of Ireland does the removal procedure. I would appreciate it if you have any information on this

19. Ann C says:

I had surgery for prolapse in the Duchy Hospital Truro in 2003. Now living in Scotland. Have had years of discomfort and cannot have sexual relations with my husband. My bowel often empties without warning. Need to wear a sanitary towel night and day. Since 2011 I’ve been seen by almost every consultant at most of Glasgow’s hospitals. Seven weeks ago Dr Karen Guerrero gave me an internal examination. The pain was unbearable. She said that she would contact the Duchy hospital to establish whether or not mesh had been inserted when I underwent 10 days of hospital care. No one can get an answer from the Duchy. I’ve heard nothing from Dr Guerrero. If I phone, she’s unavailable. I am at my wits end. Thank you for listening and best wishes to all those who know what it is I’m going through.