Lawyers to Mesh Plaintiffs – Settle or Be Dropped!

Art by Jade R.

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, August 15, 2017 ~ Mesh News Desk is hearing from countless women who are being threatened with no option but to settle their transvaginal mesh case, even when the numbers do not come close to being a reasonable settlement for what she has endured.

Some of that is due to the nature of this litigation, negotiate with the defendant mesh makers to move cases through the court rather than making whole the individual, as a trial is more likely to do, understanding that mesh injuries are often permanent.

MND finds that lawyers threatening to drop their clients may be in violation of their ethical obligations.

SETTLE OR BE DROPPED!

According to a January 10, 2017 order (Ethicon Jan 10 2017), by Judge Joseph Goodwin, who is overseeing the mesh litigation in his federal court in Charleston, WV, more than 100 lawsuits filed against Ethicon have been put on the inactive list.

The reason  – the plaintiff (and her representatives) and Ethicon “have agreed to a settlement model with regard to Ethicon.”

This did not necessarily mean that the plaintiff agreed to the settlement. Her law firm might have agreed in principal to settle. Then it is up to her law firm to convince the client to accept the terms the defendant is offering.

Judge Joseph Goodwin

The mesh manufacturers generally demand 95% of the group agree to an amount being offered. If there is agreement, Judge Goodwin said the Plaintiffs and Ethicon “may submit an agreed order of dismissal with prejudice on or before July 1, 2017.”  An August ruling extended that deadline to October 1, 2017. Ethicon Doc #4401 here.

That means the case is over and cannot be resubmitted.

But what if the mesh-injured plaintiff doesn’t agree to the settlement dollars?  After insurance and Medicare is paid, medical bills and any loans, the 5% common benefit fund and a bit withheld for later – some of those checks are pretty lean. MND has even seen settlement checks under $2,000.

What if the mesh-injured says no to the settlement?

The Court will hold a hearing to determine the appropriate action.  One of the avenues would be to reinstate the claim to the active docket of the multidistrict litigation (MDL)  for good cause.

“Good cause includes, but is not limited to, a plaintiff’s refusal or inability to consummate settlement.  Such motion must be accompanied by an affidavit from plaintiff explaining such refusal or inability.”

Judge Goodwin said the counsel for plaintiffs and defendants were supposed to provide quarterly reports to clients as progress was being made in the case.

THREATS

One plaintiff on the list of 126 plaintiffs, we’ll call her “Suzy” tells MND she received no updates. She did, however, receive calls telling her her only option was to settle for the amount offered or the law firm would drop her case.

She does not want to settle for the amount she is being offered. Suzy is catastrophically injured and will need a lifetime of care due to damage from her Ethicon pelvic mesh implant.  A number of clients have also complained about their law firm gave them a June 30th date to accept or reject the settlement offers.

Some plaintiffs tell MND they refused the settlement offer.  What then?  MND reached out to Suzy’s law firm that has set a date for settlement looking for comment but there was no response.  There are a number of plaintiffs’ firms engaged in the same practice.

Elizabeth Burch, U GA Law professor

DROP THE CLIENT, SAYS MESH MAKER

It is not widely known, but at least one mesh manufacturer is heavily influencing how plaintiffs’ firms treat their clients.

In one confidential settlement agreement, obtained by MND,  the push to drop the client is stipulated by the defendant mesh manufacturer.

It says the plaintiffs’ lawyer agrees “to take all necessary steps to disengage and withdraw from the representation of any Claimant who declines a settlement offer under this Master Settlement Agreement or who fails to provide an executed Release.”

This is in direct conflict with the model rules of professional conduct.  The right to settle or not remains firmly with the client!

Forcing a lawyer representing the mesh injured runs afoul of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct 1.2 (a), which requires lawyers to abide by their client’s decision.

Elizabeth Burch, a law professor at the University of Georgia tells MND, ”As I’ve written in the past, it’s my opinion that withdrawal provisions are unethical.  The limited mesh settlements that I’ve examined all contain mandatory recommendation and withdrawal provisions, which require the attorney to recommend the deal to all of her clients and to then withdraw from those who refuse.”

Professor Burch continues, “Lawyers may withdraw for no reason at all if it won’t have a materially adverse effect on the client’s interests.  But in circumstances like these, it becomes very hard to find replacement counsel.  Finally, according to rule 5.6(b), lawyers can’t participate in making an agreement that restricts the lawyer’s right to practice as part of settling a client’s case.”

DEFENSE SAYS DISENGAGE

As if suggesting the plaintiffs’ lawyer force a settlement even when it may not be in the clients’ best interest, one mesh maker goes even further to dictate how lawyers represent their clients.

On page 42 of one Master Settlement, it admits it cannot tell those lawyers how to practice law, but as part of the agreement it requires law firms to agree, “that they have no present intent to solicit or represent new clients for the purpose of bringing Claims against (the mesh maker) in connection with (the mesh maker’s) Mesh Products or (the mesh makers) Mesh Product Injuries.”

The documents dictate plaintiff’s firms will agree that they will not actively solicit prospective mesh clients through the media including television, radio or websites, either directly or indirectly.

Professor Howard Erichson, Fordam Law

CONSENT VERSUS CLOSURE

Professor Howard Erichson, at Fordham, has written a good bit on the ethics of agreements like this.

Published in the Cornell Law Review, Consent versus Closure  (here), Erichson asks “if a lawyer wishes to withdraw from a client who declines a recommended settlement, may the lawyer terminate the relationship?”

Erichson notes Rule 1.16(b) says yes, the lawyer can, “if the withdrawal will have no material adverse effect on the interests of the client.”

For example, in the Vioxx litigation, an injured client searching for a replacement lawyer wouldn’t find one because all of the firms agreed to get out of Vioxx litigation.  Obviously then, it would present a hardship to the client/plaintiff.

But a law firm can withdraw if the client insists on taking an action that the law firm disagrees with, if the action will burden the lawyer financially, and if there is any other good cause for withdrawal, such as a fundamental disagreement.

However, it bears repeating that the client is in charge and it ultimately is his or her decision whether to accept or reject a settlement.

The general rule is that the lawyer may not withdraw because the client refuses to settle.

The client may fire his/her lawyer, but according to Erichman, “Cases overwhelmingly reject the idea that a lawyer may fire a client for declining a settlement against the lawyer’s advice.” P.287

“The lawyer may not burden the client’s ability to make settlement decision by structuring the representation agreement so as to allow the lawyer to withdraw, or to ratchet up the cost of representation, if the client refused an offer of settlement.”

Clock, WikiCommons

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS

There is an additional complication if the law firms drops a case.

In some litigation,  Mesh News Desk has learned that a complaint was never filed in her case, not even a short form as a placeholder.

Unless there is a tolling agreement, the statute of limitations continues, according to a lawyer handling mesh claims.

Under that circumstance, the injured plaintiff will never be able to find another law firm because her statute of limitations may have expired. ###

1. anon says:

Wow this is so unethical. So just who are these lawyers representing. We the plaintiff are expected to pay our lawyers out of settlements that are agreed to by that lawyer but obviously in the best interest of the defendant company and our lawyers. How is this even happening in this country. How are the judges allowing this. Any lawyer that would do this to the clients they are so called representing should be disbarred from practicing law. Their our lawyers that we are paying to represent us. But seems they are looking after their pockets and the defendants by agreeing to this kind of blackmail. A lawyer has an oath to uphold to represent their clients. This is not in the best interest of their clients to agree they will drop anyone who does not agree . The corrupt nature of such an agreement is so blatant and obvious that I can’t see how it has been allowed to even happen. Lawyers are out of control if they do this to their clients. This whole process needs to be reformed and the Bar Association and government needs to step in and fix this.

• jan says:

Corruption sweep under something
      Judges are no different than the manufacturers that cut us and tortured us with there products
      Never will I ever receive anything from Johnson &Johnson or Boston scientific
      They are such evil companies

• Meshfiva64 says:

After turni g down a first offer the. Receiving a packet with a 2K increase I still turned that down, I was called to see if I received the two packsts. I informed them yes and that I agreed to nothing and explained my reason one of the reasons included the % the attorney was to receive which was,close to 7% to much. Ladies I earn you read the information fully does the offer even come close to offering you compensation for what you have suffered and still suffering. Say No To TIERS they don’t even come close to your TEARS..

2. Bejah Blue says:

Well, I am not surprised. It is said that the truth eventually will reveal itself. Welcome sisters, to the new American version of Democracy. There is no justice. It reminds me of something my ex husband used to say…”There are those who use and those that get used”. He was a flaming narcissist and sex addict. A recent photo of him on his Facebook page shows him leaning against (his?) yellow Lamborghini and states that he loves sex. I guess that means that he continues to be successful as one who uses others. No thanks. I would rather be poor and pure of heart. My pain continues to worsen. I am so afraid of the pain. I do not mind dying but I can not bear ever increasing pain. So where do we go from here? Next time you sign a contract with a law firm make sure it includes wording that allows you to decide if a settlement is acceptable. Perhaps that will help keep us safe from predatory law firms and lawyers. That right should be inherent in the attorney/client relationship but clearly it is not. It must also be said that there are highly ethical attorneys and law firms that would not pressure clients in the way described in this article. Never assume even things that seem quite clear. I feel so badly for us all. My heart goes out to all of you, especially those who have suffered the most. God bless us all. A Catholic priest once told me that in suffering we participate with Christ and so come closer to GOD. I hope you all find some comfort in this. BTW I am not Catholic but part of the family that is the non-denominational Community Chapel in my town. It is a Bible based church and I have found great comfort there. I was babtised there just a couple of weeks ago. If you have not, please invite Jesus into your heart in the quiet of your own home and be comforted. Love you all,

3. Diva64 says:

Most of these cases have been in their attorneys hands for 5-6 years and longer. Some cases patients were implanted as far back as 2000. Mesh should not even have been on the market , How does a manufactures product get through F.D.A. on 510K when the one they are following has been Recalled Why are the patients being victimized again any implanted from 1999-2006 when TVM according to AGUS 2007 states the procedures would have been Expiremental, the complications known, No data reported as required during the first 5 years. Billing insurance was a Feloney if the bills went through U.S. Mail it was,Mail Fraud a 2nd Feloney. The reimbursement to the insurance company should not come from the injured patient but from the ones who are responsible for the injury.
    There are several issues that definitely need to be renegotiated on the implanted victims part before the women settle.. It is our lives, careers, relationships that have been ruined , The implanted women should not be raped by the Juducal system in place to protect the innocent.

• meshie says:

I so agree.. I’m one of the ones..implanted 2003…re-implanted 2007 two partial removals and I feel everything including lawyers fees should come from the one who injured.. why are mess victims different then car accident victims. My life was over so long ago…

You are correct…. why indeed.

• MM says:

I agree my Law office send me paperwork to sign the settlement. I refuse to sign because I feel the same as you. They should pay our fees and it not come out of ours. By the time everyone is payed there will be nothing left for me. So I want send the papers back. I don’t care if they drop me if I can’t get what belongs to me then they want either. What more can I lose already lost it all anyway. I was implanted in 2003 they claim it wasn’t a bad product and I have a lot of health problems. Well duh! So the heck with the Law firm and anyone else that will reap the benefits of my sufferings!

If enough people feel the way that you do, there will not be settlements for small amounts of money….. then what? I wish I knew. …. but you still have a case and it still belongs to you.

4. Anon says:

Almost UNBELIEVABLE!

5. Lordhelpus says:

This is a pyramid scheme with the manufacturers at the very top of it, Pharma, doctors and now even our own lawyers (apparently) in on it. They’re all right up there with Madoff, except he’s doing 150 years for his crime…

6. Beth says:

Our lawyer can’t be reach and we learned he launching his own firm. And if we insist he will left us high and dry. He gots millions from injured women now. So, the firm told us don’t be worry about it because we have lots of mass tort lawyers. Well let us see we are planning for him not to practice law anymore and not have his new office.

7. Jimmy says:

Any word on how the Adkins case is going to or when they will revisit it again

8. jan says:

So sad that our rights are being vialated by our own people. . It’s sad to see how corrupt the justice system is.. this should not be happening these judges are nit standing up to the oath of there office they are no better than the scum that took our lives away from us the ones that put us in danger for there greed
    People you need to pay attention to who we have in Congress and who they elect for our judges because there is no doubt these people are receiving money for doing the nasty to us

• mary b says:

Jan i know this is true we got to watch who we vote into office congress and senate also so we have to see who is for the rich and who is for us i know and hope every one checks there congress very careful mary

9. Gayle B says:

What happens to a client who
    refuses the settlement & only had
    one surgery.
    Unable to have
    additional surgeries.
    Reaction from one surgery.
    Have infections constant, on
    antibiotics, feel like their are razor
    blades, pain, burning
    uncomfortable to sit,
    Loss of Weight.
    List goes on and on!
    Constant testing & doctor visits.
    Not too many doctors
    will even treat me.
    No quality of life
    One Doctor wrote:
    Extipation of mesh is like taking a
    hammer & chisel & trying to remove
    the rebar from a sidewalk, while
    leaving cement intact.
    It’s difficult if not impossible to
    remove the mesh & do it safely.
    How can they pool all of the clients/
    patients as one.
    Loss of faith in our medical
    profession & the way our courts
    are handing these cases.

Can you get at least three assessments to make sure you are not a candidate for any full removals??? Many docs are in the dark, so their opinions may be fairly useless, is my opinion.

• Bejah Blue says:

I have three assessments: One from Dr. Michael Margolis in the SF Bay area, one from a physician at U. Arizona at Tucson, and one from Dr. Veronikis who sent me the devestating email after they had a conference call about my case. The consensus was that I had too much scar tissue and a pelvic kidney making the prospect of removal surgery too dangerous, and with too high a probability that I would not survive the surgery. As I have said elsewhere this meant that rather than dying/passing away in the sweet sleep of anesthesia I am to suffer a long and painful death as the mesh ravages my body. So much for three opinions.

The other day I watched my upper thigh as a big red welt rose out of it with an indented centre that was slightly white. I can not recall if it was itchy or painful but I think it may have been both. It seems to be fading now but these eruptions come and go now.

It is said that if one begins to feel like there are bugs crawling all over them it is an indication that they are developing a severe behavioral pathology, I think a psychosis…is that something I have to look forward to? What becomes of one’s mind when one sees the impact on the body? Will the blood brain barrier protect the mind?

I hate plastic now…I am throwing it all away or giving it away. Am I descending into madness.

And how can I ask the man I love to enter my womb full of knives, full of shards of glass? The desecration of sacred space…women continue to be treated as sub human and where is the National Org. of Women…all those feminists…why are they not addressing this, defending us? What is their real agenda.

It is written that the world shall become more evil every day and it is, is it not? We must turn our rage into action and not ever give in, give up even when we feel we can not go on, we must go on, even if it is hopeless we must go on. There is no other viable option. If you do not have the strength or resources to leave the relative safety and security of your house you can still write and make phone calls, etc.

And what happened to all that data collected from us and given to UCLA, an institution that implanted me, an entity of higher education that had on the board of directors of its SOM the CEO of Johnson & Johnson, an entity that is not innocent in this matter…what did they do with that data? What has UCLA done with it to help us? Nothing? I promise you that it was used to protect itself, it went to their risk management/legal counsel. What say you people, about this probability? I know UC well, I retired from UC and my brother took his masters and PhD from UC Berkeley. I know the University better than most of you. It is responsible for conduct as egregious as any corporation, even just as any individual, it has also in many areas created good works.

We are darkness and light. Hopefully the light penetrates and illuminates the darkness most of the time but where the darkness is deepest, the most dense, opaque….and the evil bears down hard on the world…what can we do then as a species? When the rule of law seems to have little or no bearing as with Johnson & Johnson, Exxon, Bayer, Monsanto and so many others…what then?

As long as we still have our minds we can take action of some kind, take a stand against evil. It is hard to accept when coping with the realities of this life but there are things that are more important than money (understatement!). It has been said that money is the root of all evil and surely it is much of the time. It tends to invite wrong action. It is a temptation of the Satan, whatever you understand that energy to be. It is not the only gift that evil offers; there is also power, perverse sexuality, and all that we know in our hearts to be forbidden and unclean.

We are born knowing that we have an inalienable right to be free and yet we are enslaved much of the time in this life, by one thing or another. We must look to that inner voice, to the light within us to guide and comfort us, knowing that our souls do go on. Many of us have received the gift of knowing this, others have great faith only and some are struggling, many are lost. The things that are the most real, the most enduring, are the most difficult to prove, to believe but that is where we will find peace regardless of the circumstances of this life.

Like so many of you I have lost much due to the evil in the world; I was abused in every way imaginable as a child (By my own father), I have many malformations because of my mothers use of DES when she was carrying me. I had severe Endometriosis, very heavy periods, unbearable pain with them (No doctor visits, only aspirin and J&b given to me by my mother), and later in life I was infected in my blood with MRSA by a dirty IV at a local hospital (JFK in Indio), and I was never as strong and healthy again, I lost my mother because of deliberate lack of care by Manor Care where she was sent to recover from a broken leg, I lost my home in the Palm Springs area because of mortgage fraud (I had to sell as a short sale), and then in that period I had to put my horse and my Bulldog to sleep and I was implanted with the evil mesh at UCLA and those are just the highlights.

We all have stories like this more or less. I would like to see someone collect our stories and publish them so that they will live on after we are gone. Johnson & Johnson will go on doing what they do, getting away with what they know they can, long after we are gone but our stories can live on if they are told. Who will do that? Who will publish something that does not promise commercial profitability?

So long as profit is the goal many truths will be lost and the future of mankind is questionable…at least the mankind we know. Who knows where evolution will take us. Will it be a dead end, will we become extinct, or will we evolve into some human/android creature, something rather inhuman but that has greater survivability? Would you prefer to survive or have greater humanity? I think, I hope I know the answer.

Bejah

Bejah-= You bring up a good point. Why not contact National Organization for Women and spark their interest in this mesh mess. There has to be some national interest at some time! I’ve never seen anything like this. http://now.org/

• Kitty says:

Bejah…thank you for sharing such intimate information with us. By your writings.
          , I would never guess that you were not a gifted cherished child. You deserve to be in the highest tier what ever that means. As I mentioned in a prior post…i witnessed …the FATHER OF THE ALMIGHTY TRANSVAGINAL MESH…give “informed consent to a 50-60tish black lady under the influence of versed et al. while she was being wheeled into the OR. I don’t know what her original reason was for going into surgery. I was waiting to have surgery for extrusion. My post my seem unbelievable and bizzare…but “truth is stranger than fiction”

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Kitty, Thank you for your kindness. I bare my soul to somehow comfort all of us. To demonstrate to others outside our “family” that we are human beings, that we are sacred, that we are also the children of GOD, not some lesser GOD but the Father of Creation, that it might strike fear in their hearts over what they have done to us. I also have spinal problems and for whatever reason I have periodically muscle spasms not just in my legs but sometimes elsewhere in my body, even in my jaw and tongue. I do take a prescription muscle relaxant for this, Tizanidine. I believe GOD can not prevent this suffering but has always been with me through it since I was a child. I look forward to going home to Heaven when ever it is that I am called. You sound a little strange and I pray you are OK.

• Still Standing says:

It is impossible to know what drugs a person has had prior to surgery or to know why the surgery was taking place. My doctors gave me nothing until I got into the OR so they could do Pain mapping. I never had versed for any of my surgeries. Or, she could have been in an accident that injured her pelvis or had some other emergency surgery needs. No one from the outside looking in can fully know what is going on

• Bejah Blue says:

Kitty, I did not know what “Versed” was and thus my confusion.

You said you were in for extrusion as if it were a cavity or sprained ankle. Are we that accustomed to these follow on surgeries? How much pain were you in, how did it go, where do you stand post op…inquiring and caring minds want to know if you are really OK? How is extrusion different than rape or having your breasts cut off or having them put a fork up your nose and scramble your frontal cortex so you are not inclined to bitch any more? How are the Nazis different than the Gulag physicians or the incentivized doctors that receive visitors from Ethicon marketing experts? The Neurologist I was seeing in 2009 and 2010 when I went through the rigorous MS testing told me two years later I could cut back on the B12. I dropped him like a hot potato and began taking even more B12. Trust no one. When I got my file from JFK hospital in Indio, CA (It was about 4.5 inches thick) it was full of blank pages (This was the period of isolation due to the MRSA they infected my blood with, and the time of surgery to remove the cellulitis in my right arm and the primary artery in that left arm). Should I have sued? Would I have won? The best strategy is to stay out of hospitals at all costs if you can. My neighbor is dying. She had a heart attack in the night the other day. She did not call “911”. She stayed home and is determined to die in her own home and not allow “them” a way to make more money at her expense. She has taken control of her life and her death. We do not need to call “911”. We can take control of our lives and our deaths. When the phone rings do you feel you have to answer? You do not. Do you feel as a good citizen you need to watch the news every day? You do not. Just as we should take care what we put in our bodies, we need to take care of what we put in our minds. We create ourselves as we move through life. It is your life, your body, your mind.

Bejah

So much heart damage can be alleviated though if you get treatment immediately, other wise heart muscle dies… is my understanding. I’m sorry.

• Bejah Blue says:

Kitty, I am thinking, having another look at your post, that having this happen as one is being taken into the OR is at the very least a suspect and inappropriate time for this to occur. It needs to be addressed but know that hospitals change records all the time and I no longer trust them at all generally, as a matter of course.

I have friends, they moved here from Beverly Hills a few years ago, and she had her first baby at Desert Regional Medical Center. The hospital made a mistake…baby is OK but the hospital tried to cover the mistake and actually threatened him if he took any action. There is a strong old boys network here and if one does not fall in line one’s prospects for a successful career are diminished. So it is not just the patient that can suffer at the hands of hospital administrators, legal counsel, risk mgt. staff, etc. Life can be a battlefield for many in all walks, all stations.

• V says:

Bejuh, be fore you give up on having the mesh removed please contact Dr Cindy Admundson at Duke! My prayers are with you!

• Still Standing says:

Bejah, there are several vitamin deficiencies that can cause muscle spasms and these deficiencies are more pronounced as we age. Have your doctor check levels for vitamin D, vitamin B12 and magnesium. You need all three of these to maintain proper muscle function. Most older adults are deficient in all three. Magnesium is responsible for our muscles contractions. It also promotes bowel health. Vitamin -D deficiencies are serious in that it is needed to help the body absorb calcium. It is hard for most adults to maintain high enough levels without supplements. I take 2 gel caps a day and my levels are good. Of course, you can also get about 15-20 minutes of full sun exposure a day. But, it has to be a rather large area, not just a hand or foot in the sun. Vitamin B12 plays many roles, one of them is muscle health. You can get all of these in generic form though I especially like the magnesium in Natural Calm plus Calcium that I order online. Magnesium also promotes sleep, since having it allows your muscles to relax. It’s all connected. That is why you have to be aware of what is happening in your body and address as much as you can. One thing isn’t going to make you miraculously better. But, finding small things that help pain throughout your day ends up equating to better days. That can make a big difference.

Dear V, Thank you. Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Dr. Cindy seems like a good person. Because my son and daughter in law live in the Raleigh area I will suggest that Kim consider seeing her. I am too far away in CA but thanks. There may be others in our community who would benefit from a consult with Dr. Cindy so thanks again for your recommendation.

• Bejah Blue says:

Jane, of course what you point out regarding making the call to “911” when a heart attack is suspected is the best option for most people however if one is dying and wishes to pass away in the relative peace and comfort of their own home that is their right and it is a viable option. Once you call “911” it is as if you are in control of “the system” and there is no guarantee that your durable power of attorney for healthcare will be honored by the hospital you are taken to even when they are given a copy and the physician on duty is given a copy. These documents are violated, ignored all the time. A neighbor of my mom knew he was having a heart attack. He was about 95 and from a line of long lived folk. He deliberately did not call “911”, went and got in bed and died on his terms in his own home. It is our right to make that choice.

• Kitty says:

Just FYI. extrusion …..we are talking mesh on Janes website. Mesh EXTRUSION WAS THRU VAGINA. SURGERY REPAIR OF .

• Still Standing says:

Gayle, it is problematic settlement wise if you have only had one revision surgery. You need to get another opinion or is this the the conclusion of several doctors? Mesh removal doesn’t guarantee noproblems at all. It can sometimes create new sets of problems. However, much has been learned in the past few years about mesh removal, so if those opinions are not recent, request a new evaluation.

In the meantime, what steps are you taking each day to help with your pain? Has your doctor referred you to pelvic floor pelvic therapy? Some of your symptoms are those of hypertonic pelvic floor muscles and can be addressed with PT visits. Hypertonic Pelvic muscles can certainly be created by mesh or it could be that you had pelvic floor issues before the mesh and this magnified it. Also, I know it sounds counterintuitive to your pain, but light exercise and gentle moving is so important. We tend to brace the muscles where there is pain. Then the muscles shorten and generate more pain. It is a viscous cycle. There is actually a name for this-kinisthephobia (fear of moving). There needs to be intentional movement throughout your day to break this cycle. It is hard to do because of pain but absolutely necessary to get any relief.

If you are having constant UTIs, please consider getting a supplement called D-Mannose . You take one a day and it coats the bladder wall and prevents bacteria from adhering to it. It really works on UTI prevention. It completely stopped the 10 or more UTIs I had for years post mesh. Another important thing for bladder and vaginal comfort is keeping vaginal tissue lubricated and plump, which helps protect the bladder as well by keeping bacteria from entering the urethra. I use Estrace, but you can use coconut oil, too.

Finding pain relief here is no magic bullet. Settlement dollars won’t cure your pain. Every single thing you do each day to help relieve just a small amount and area of pain can add up to better days. I have had 8 surgeries, many were brutal and I have found that the more I work on self-care, the better I feel. This does not always equate to less pain, but to less impact on my daily life. It is certainly worth the effort.

• Bejah Blue says:

Treading into sometimes dangerous territory I must add that orgasm with someone you love deeply displaces pain. Sex without love is empty but sex in the context of a deep loving relationship will keep knowledge of pain at bay, at least for awhile. If you feel you can not have sex in the usual way and you are married please consider alternatives with your loved one. This can deepen your bond in addition to addressing pain. GOD will understand these explorations in the context of marriage in all of its forms.

• Regina H says:

Thank you for this imformation! ! Can you find these exercises on line somewhere by chance ??

10. Anonymous says:

It’s all about money. Don’t you see we were the Lab Rats we were tested on while they made millions and millions and millions of dollars and now just like the Lab Rats we can be left to die. Any lawyer that does this to the client’s I hope the karma bites them back because it will. Maybe not in this world but if you believe in Jesus then you have to know they will not go unpunished. This is unbelievable I just hope that my attorney is a good one and will not do this to me. But ladies remember one thing ladies they are all all very bad company’s from J&J to Bard, Ethicon, AMS they are all the devil’s tool. And the judge is letting them get away with all of this. No matter what you hear there are many of us who have not accepted a settlement and are still waiting six seven eight years later with no settlement. I just wish we could all talk to judge Goodwin directly and not through our attorneys because it’s us who have to suffer us who have gone through surgeries us who have gone through autoimmune and the list goes on and on and on and it is us who are permanently damaged and never will be whole again. If it was any other kind of case we would have had our trials by now and we would have won them because the evidence is clear we were fine until we had mesh put into our bodies. But I’m sure there’s so much money being handed to people to be quiet to get this thing taken care of at least in my personal opinion and so much power that we will not be able to be successful in this Endeavor that we try to find Justice in so hard. I find it hard to cope most days because of the pain I Endure every day and now when I read things like this I just find hopelessness and some days I pray God take me home. But one day one day I have to believe that my time will come to be happy again to be able to look forward to life again otherwise why would I go on. God bless you all and I hope you find a way to go on with life again and put mesh behind you

• Kitty says:

What goes around comes around….always

• Bejah Blue says:

Dreaming is healing. Lets all pool our resources and buy a large island somewhere. We can all have our own little beach houses and a community hall and gardens. We can grill lobster and Calamri, and Chilian Sea Bass on the beach every evening and import cases of wine from the Andean valleys of South America and the rolling hills of Tuscany, milk our own moo-moos and make goat cheese, run a small five star boutique resort, make jewelry to sell to our guests, write stories about our lives on the island of wounded women and their men and live happily ever after. Sometimes one must create their own Heaven.

Bejah and Steve (“Dream on, dream until your dream comes true”).

PS We will of course have a special cabin for Jane who will visit often I expect. :-}

11. Lorhelpus says:

They all know of all the grimy stuff, but choose to turn the other cheek, so there’s really no one to appeal to since the all run in the same circles…hopefully the FBI will get them one day though Remember, the higher they go, the harder their fall is going to be.

++ I always thought ppl could still be charged for being an accessory to a crime??

*What does it mean to be an accessory?*

A person who, though not present during the commission of a felony, is guilty of having aided and abetted another, who committed the felony. Also called accessory after the fact. a person who knowingly conceals or assists another who has committed a felony.

*What is the charge for accessory after the fact?*
    Someone who assists another 1) who has committed a felony, 2) after the person has committed the felony, 3) with knowledge that the person committed the felony, and 4) with the intent to help the person avoid arrest or punishment. An accessory after the fact may be held liable for, inter alia, obstruction of justice.

• Still Standing says:

There are no criminal charges here. The defendants have been charged in civil court for damages. no FBI, no jail time, no felony. They are two very separate court systems. And, if you settlement, the manufacturers don’t admit to cause.

• Bejah says:

Dear SS, Thanks so much as always for your wisdom. Actually I have been taking B12 since 2009 in rather copious amounts beginning right after brain surgery for demyelination of cranial nerves. My Neurologist at the time told me to start taking it. Later I learned that it would be best to take sub lingual B12 so now I do that and take 5000XXX three times a day. I have also been taking Magnesium for quite a while and a few months ago changed to SLOWMAG which my pharmacist takes. I have developed a better understanding of how critical it is. I have also been taking D3 for a long time but I must admit I remain a little confused about the possibility of different types of Vit. D (What is D3, for ex.). Sitting in the sun in my bikini for an hour is not something I think I should do because I live in the desert and it is so hot it is intolerable in summer and I stay inside save for early morning and evening. I should make a point of reading more about Vit.D. I have started taking it morning and evening and feel it is good for my heart. I think the muscle spasms are from my spine and I am doing pre op work to prepare for a terrifying multi disc lumber surgery at UCSF with Sigurd Bevard. He will also attempt to correct my scoliosis somewhat (It is holding at just over 40%). I have come to terms with the fact that I am a hot mess! It is extraordinary…the capacity of the body to carry on, is it not? Take care,

• Bejah says:

The elephant in this “room” is of course that there should be criminal charges in this case! It is understood but needed also IMHO to be stated.

12. Bejah Blue says:

I ran out of Oxycontin this morning. A friend brought me a big bottle of OTC extra strength Excedrin yesterday. It has caffine in it which seems odd and I find myself wondering if the caffeine pushes the active ingredients in the Excedrin/aspirin combo? Anyway, it does not seem to help much but I guess it is better than nothing…better than alcohol and sleeping pills!

I ran out because I spent too much money on special groceries for a Cuban feast I prepared for a Babtism/BBQ earlier in the month. It is my fault and I will not have money for the prescription for Oxycontin until Sept. 1st. This period will give me the opportunity to study exactly how deep the pain is now. I wonder why it is that pain is so terrifying. I expect there are several reasons: There is the feeling of having little or no control, the fear of it becomming so unbearable that there is at some point no medication that will address it, and there is the worry that I will come to a place where I am driven to suicide like others because I can not bear it any longer. I always thought that if one was in pain there would always be pain medication to address it but now I think that is not true. What if I get to the point where I can not afford the medication to address my level of pain…when CBT and other methods have no effect? The greater the pain is the less I think about compensation, about money…my mind is full of concern about the evolution of pain where this matter is concerned. I have heard it said that GOD forgives suicides when their is illness involved. I hope that is so. I want to be able to find my love in Heaven. I understand those who say “My life is over” but I always hope they can create a new life of some kind.

• Bejah says:

The Excedrin did nothing….then it seems there was a miracle. I had looked through both drawers thoroughly in my nightstand and there was no medication left there, I did this twice. Then I looked again after pleading for divine intervention. There was a bottle with about 20 Oxycontin in it!!! It was not there before, I swear it. It is enough to carry me until I can fill a script for more medication. I also received word from a family trustee that I will be getting a modest check by the end of the week. “God is great Sabba”. Keep the faith people!

wow

• Bejah Blue says:

Monday last my pain mgt doctor changed my script for pain med to .5mg of Oxycontin every four hours from same every 6 hours. I did not even ask! I was weepy, shaking, my BP was 175/124 or so and I was hurting reporting “10” for the first time on the bloody pain scale. I guess that was pretty compelling and I spoke of my very real fear that the pain was getting worse and would continue to get worse and worse until GOD knows what. Is that the evolution of this for all of us…the pain worsens continually until….until what? It is nice to have this strong support from my doctors, it is a meaningful comfort. No one who has not experienced it can express what it feels like to be looked at like one who is “drug seeking” and suffer the disrespect inherent in that, the expression of government fueled paranoia that attempts to blame the victim and cause greater suffering. We have a long way to go in managing pain as it should be managed. I have been in hospital and been denied adequate pain medication (My family complained) because I was diagnosed with major depression many years ago (an example was when I had a hysterectomy in 1998). But there is inconsistency. When I had brain surgery in 2009 at a different hospital I was given an abundance of pain medication and I did not realize how much I would need it and how long the recovery would be. There is so little consistency even in the same hospital systems. The matter of pain management is handled in a clumsy, ill informed and often cruel manner that appears far more concerned about the government’s wishes than the needs of patients. My guess would be that in other countries this is not the case. America is the most violent nation on the face of the earth by most accounts and seems the most backward when it comes to how it addresses the pain of its own people. It seems far more concerned about the wellness of its corporations.

• Kitty says:

Loved your post re: beach houses et al. Got ur script girl

13. Bejah Blue says:

Difficult for me to follow but seems worth reading…From: Int Braz J Urol. 2016 May-Jun; 42(3): 585–593.
    doi: 10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2015.0289
    PMCID: PMC4920579
    (fm conclusion) The variety and concentration of cytokines, cells and collagen fibers at the surgical site during the healing process determines which type of scar tissue will emerge in the implant area. A previous study has shown that the amount and organization of extracellular tissue can establish relationship between the scar pattern around the implant and its biomechanical properties, as tensile strength and stiffness (8). In the present study, we proposed the use of the birefringence index for the assessment of the organization of collagen fibers. Birefringence is an important property of some synthetic and natural macromolecules. In the field of cell biology, birefringence is an important and reliable instrument for the analysis of collagen supra molecular properties (25). No differences in birefringence index between PP and sham were found. The collagen density analysis, which indicates tissue compression, also showed no difference between the groups 30 days after implantation. Therefore, in the present study, the PP elicited a similar quality and organization of extracellular matrix and did not stimulate an over production of collagen tissue in comparison to the regular healing process. In another sham-controlled study of subcutaneous implanted collagen coated versus uncoated PP meshes, the authors, although using semi quantitative methods, also observed a higher fibroplasia and no differences in angiogenesis or collagen fiber organization were observed between sham and PP (12).
    Pierce et al. implanted meshes (PP and swine dermis) in the abdomen and vagina of rabbits and found that vaginal tissues demonstrated higher rates of inflammation; higher neovascularization but lower fibroblast proliferation than the abdomen independent of which mesh was being studied. Moreover, the same proportional difference between meshes was found in the vagina and the abdomen (26).

Why must we look to research in foreign countries to learn more about this polypropelene implanted in our bodies? I did not know there are different types of scar tissue, for example. It is 2am and still sleep is illusive…. Bejah

14. jan says:

WOW is right, SHAME SHAME on the Judges for letting this happen
    This should be a criminal act against all that have been injured by these selfish manufacturers. . These manufacturers knew the issue with thus Mesh they knew it should have beverage been used inside a human body.. But now the unthinkable is happening it just shows hiw corrupt our system is and how we need some BACKBONE in our justice system.. These judges basically have helped these manufacturers right us a death sentence , they have let the manufacturers rape us, they have let them cheat us out of what we do deserve as victims. .
    I pray that our Father In Heaven will take care of these manufacturers and these judges because there judgement day will before our God and he is mire powerful than these judges are the manufacturers. .
    I do believe that the supreme courts need to step in and do justice by the women that have been injured. . Makes you wonder how much money these judges are receiving ftom the manufacturers for doing this strong injustice to us all..

Jan, I really don’t believe that a judge is receiving money to make your life difficult. It’s a tough job to be a judge and everyone is a critic. Just my opinion.

15. Peggy H says:

I have suffered for 18 yrs,now have infection spread to lymph nodes, being biopsied. For Cancer. I think these Manufactures should be punished with Jail time. They should suffer like we are. These Lawyers should not allow them to get away with this. God sees all this. I have been thru hell and back . My life is gone.

I’m so sorry… do you have a doctor and a lawyer?

• Bejah says:

Feeling for you Peggy…sometimes silence is golden, is rich with heart. You are not alone. Remember what the Father said, “I am with you always”.

Bejah

Bejah- I would love to meet up with you in October in So Calif. Okay?

• Bejah says:

Absolutely! Do you have my cell number (442) — —-? I will call you and leave it on voicemail or/and send you text. Do not recall if you have my address but I think you will be in San Diego so I will plan on travelling there (Used to live in SD, know it well). You will need to give me date(s) as time gets near.

• Bejah Blue says:

Peggy, Please consider trying Platinum Performance Immune Formula for people. Also please try Colostrum (by Jarrow only) and Insolitol. Inositol and some of its mono- and polyphosphates function as the basis for a number of signaling and secondary messenger molecules. They are involved in a number of biological processes, including:
      Insulin signal transduction[8]
      Cytoskeleton assembly
      Nerve guidance (epsin)
      Intracellular calcium (Ca2+) concentration control[9]
      Cell membrane potential maintenance[10]
      Breakdown of fats [11]
      Gene expression[12][13] (Wikipedia).

Your doctor is probably totally unfamiliar with these supplements so see a nutritionist, or a D.O. for conformation of appropriateness and research yourself as well. Take care.

16. Kitty says:

Hi Bejah….yes I am OK..i know the post seemed somewhat psychotic..but the vignette describing the OR encounter was all I am able to say at this time without blowing my cover. Think of it…an obtunded patient being given “informed consent” minutes before being wheeled into the OR.

17. Kim m says:

Jane, Have any of the court cases won had a client with PUDENDAL NERVE DAMAGE? I had my mesh implanted in 2008 before meshes were FDA approved! I also had another installed for organ prolapse in 2010… both gynacare meshes! I have had similar problems as everyone else such as: infections, bladder incontenance, sexual distinction, depression, 6 surgeries & EXTREME PAIN!! With the Pudendal Nerve damage, I had pain so severe that I considered ending my life… and I have a son & husband to live for! Every doctor I saw, I begged for help to resolve this issue for I knew I could not live with that kind of pain for very much longer! I was on every kind of pain meds such as oxycodone, OxyContin, hydrocodone, phenol & morphine! It’s like having childbirth 24×7 365 days a year! I suffered with this for over 2 years! I found a doctor at Johns Hopkins that used cryoblation to deaden the nerve! He said a lot of people do not make it to him for they end their life due to the pain is unbearable! Another doctor said he would rather be paralyzed from waist down than to have Pudendal Nerve damage! I have been going to Physical Therapy for @ 2 years for that nerve damage & am having to treat Periformis Syndrome which is often found with the Pudendal Nerve damage! I am still in pain but am now able to walk and sit for about 20 mins! Sitting was a huge problem with Pudendal Nerve Damage! I truly was bedridden for over 2 years! I was unable to be in any position other than lying on my side for years! Had I Gone to court, I would have had to be wheeled -in in a bed! I have missed years of my son’s life and was not able to attend any of his school functions or unable to take him anywhere for anything! I could not cook, clean or live life! I have been living in hell for the last 10 years since I had these meshes installed and the last 3 years have been simply unbearable! Just wondering if anyone else has had Pudendal Nerve Damage& if any of the won cases had women with this kind of nerve damage? As for my case, it is being prepared for trial! My attorney and I refused the settlement…

glad you are being prepared for trial…. is that true, or something your lawyer is telling you. Is it really being prepped for settlement? Just wondering because not that many law firms remain in transvaginal mesh litigation. First, mesh started being put in in 1996,,,,Second, transvaginal or hernia mesh were never FDA approved! never. They were cleared for marketing and sales, the difference is an exchange of paperwork and you can release it on the market. No clinical trials were needed. You’ve had two meshes by Ethicon so you probably have a very good case and yes, pudendal neuralgia has been introduced though not focused on that I’ve seen. Many women have nerve damage for the mesh or from the use of trocars during implantation….I’m sorry you are going through this. Anyone else with PN who wants to comment?

• Kim says:

Jane, thank you for your kind words in your reply! I met with my lawyers @ 4 weeks ago in which they had offered a settlement from J&J ! They advised me not to accept, for they wanted to proceed to trial! I was not going to accept anyway for I truly have been to Hell & back! They are working with a law firm in another state( one that has won one case in court already) and called me last week telling me that my case is being prepared for trial. That’s where we are! We have discussed some potential medical experts but I have not been deposed or anything! I am trusting they are telling me the facts, but time will tell! I am not sure about the procedural processes for trial, but I am concerned about the Supreme Court ruling for jurisdiction; thinking my case may be moved. With all that said, I was curious to see if anyone with pudental neuralgia had won a case, for details are lacking in reading about some of these cases. If it was introduced in other cases, I can not imagined it would not the star of the show!!! It’s the absolute worst pain I could have ever imagined! I could never give an example to doctors to equate the pain except 1000x worse than childbirth! My male neurologists never understood this! Until I ask for a female neurologist, I could not get any real help! I went to Cleveland clinic, Johns Hopkins & Vanderbilt! Can not tell you how much it meant to me when my female neurologist took my hand and said that she would find the problem…and she did! Just want to put that out there to give hope to others and not to be discouraged if you get no help from one doctor… try another! Anyone on this site with pudendal nerve damage? Maybe we can help each other, for it is a debilitating & life changing event!

Kim- If you’d like to share the name of doctors who have helped you, perhaps others would appreciate it!

• Bejah says:

Kim, Thank you for this post, for sharing with us. Very comforted to learn of your counsel position, and the trial prep. Most of all, the wonderful Neurologist you found, finally. There is always hope.

• Kitty says:

Kim. Have u heard of Dr Michael Hibner in Phoenix for nerve DAMAGE? HAS ANYONE DEVELOPED FOOT DROP AND NEEDED A BRACE?

• Bejah says:

Hi Kitty, A neighbor has that but it is not related to polypropelene mesh in her case. I have no memory of any of us mentioning that related to the implantation but maybe I am a bit forgetful. Nothing would surprise me and I am glad you mentioned this.

Bejah

Bejah- please use your correct name when posting. Thanks!!! In the name column because your real name is posting… thank you.

• Anon says:

Kim,
          Dr. Michael Hibner, his staff especially, Ashley Gubbels are wonderful. I suffer from PN and I totally agree with you about the pain associated with PN. It is extremely intense and none describable. There is no other pain that I can associate or compare Pudendal Neuralgia to that I have experienced in my life time.
          If you can afford the trip, by all means do it,………… I am completely satisfied with the experience.

• Bejah says:

Dear Anon, Can you provide more detail about the services they provided for you as a mesh wounded person? If you feel comfortable doing so it may help some of our sisters.

• Bejah Blue says:

Well….for me the peripheral neuropathy is the least of all my pain which remains multi-focal and variable. I would like to ask if I may how many of us experience the pelvic pain as increasing over time and the sense you have of why that is so. Thanks guys. For me, the pelvic pain is far worse than the pain in my lumber spine/coxyxx. The vulva pain is often very pronounced also except that hour or so just after the 3xweek digital application of Premarin cream which is barely affordable (Co pay is $80 but it does last a couple of months). The Bursitis pain I feel only when I am laying down. Find myself needing sleeping med after I wake about midnight. I take Clonidine for the BP which is elevated due to my kidney malformation and it makes me sleepy I guess because it lowers ones heart rate rather quickly. I take four blood pressure medications including Coreg and I also take low dose Aspirin. Sometimes I have head pain also, mostly in the frontal cortex (Executive function I think) and in the left hemisphere where brain surgery was…an artifact. I wonder if the pelvic pain is due to several conditions including intersistial Cystitis, the pain from the contraction or other conduct of the mesh, and whatever else I can not remember just now. I wonder what causes the mesh to break apart…is it just trauma or a “natural” effect of time in the environment of the body? How did the manufacturer’s know that it was toxic to the human body if no trials were done. There is so much I do not understand. How can it be that some women do not have an adverse reaction? So much that is unclear and so little incentive for the organizations involved to speak out. Do the defendants wait for us to die because then our cases lose value? Is that part of the reason they appeal? Curious as a child…it is a sign of life I guess.

Bejah

PS Jane, somehow my name defaulted, thanks for letting me know. I can not see unless I scroll up. It was not that way the other day. BTW my email address does not appear automatically anymore…I have to select it from drop down each time I post. Can that be fixed? Thx.

• Kitty says:

I believe you have to have a Dr referral.to see Dr Hibner

It may depend on your insurance….

• Bejah says:

Dear Kim, Your courage fortifies me…please also remember BTW that if you die your case becomes less valuable….by about 50% I think (Right Jane?). God bless,

• Bejah Blue says:

Re the need for a referral…it used to be that I could just make an appt. with a specialist but increasingly physicians seem to be asking for a referral (presumably because they want to be certain that an appt. with a patient is warranted and not misplaced because the patient really needs to see a diff. specialist, etc. The other day I tried to make an appt. with a Nephrologist and he wants a referral and documents, any test results, etc. first which means I will need to wait longer to see him, an unhappy truth for me. Not much I can do about it though. The other thing that happens is that the physician’s office staff tries to make appts with a PA rather than the physician. That may be fine for some appts. but not for initial appts. or something very important. I wonder if PAs are replacing Registered nurses, esp. because RN’s tend to be women and PA’s tend to be men. Hmmmm…

• Bejah says:

Of course, if they (Defense) are trying to get you to settle, this means your case is strong and worrisome for them. Love that you have good counsel and love that defendants probably expending a lot of energy worrying about your case. They will probably come to you again with a more meaningful settlement, even at the last hour before trial. Remember that if they lose in trial, although it would be a win for you and by extension all of us, they will appeal, it is a knee-jerk reaction for them and an attempt to drag out the case for years. I believe that this kind of delay will only make things worse for them in the end in this matter BUT you need to remember that last hour settlement may be advisable, after you have come to a point where the final offer is received…depending on your age, your life circumstances, your value system, etc. If you can wait for a final judgement to be rendered (I believe a favorable outcome is inevitable for you) that would be marvelous but I do not believe we would want you to sacrifice your health and wellness to achieve that for the cause, for the common good of our community if it means you would suffer one more moment of anguish or pain. Having said that, there is no guarantee that any amount of money will render you free of pain or the debilitating after effects of implant. It is clear you have good advisors and I expect we are all very happy that is so. If you wish to share the name of the firm representing you (or have you?) I expect many others would be interested in approaching that firm about representation. You will want to ask the firm to tell you it is OK to share with our community the name of your counsel. GOD bless,

• Bejah says:

Wow! Thanks for sharing this with us. No one I have seen has named the pelvic pain. I have also the pain from Vulvadynia and God knows what else. Can you comment on this: Because of my pelvic kidney I am afraid to try to have pelvic floor therapy. What would be your sense about that…I know hard to say but pls try if you can. I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs (Cymbalta for that and Depression) which helps. Also developed Bursitis…at least that was diagnosis by Orthopedist, in my right hip. I can not sleep on that side at all, only on the left side. What will I do if it develops on the left side also. It is written that the Bursa can be removed. How many of us have the Bursitis. All of this diagnosed post implant. Praying for you….so admire your courage.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Kim, My heart goes out to you and you must know we all feel the same way about your situation. Silence is not the absence of caring. So proud of you and your counsel for refusing settlement. I think I commented earlier so forgive any redundancy. Hugs….

Bejah

PS Jane, if I may digress….please have my name default changed. Thx.

18. Bejah says:

More on Cytokines…Very spooky stuff. Mentioned in paper I mentioned (See above) Cytokines (cyto, from Greek “κύτος” kytos “cavity, cell” + kines, from Greek “κίνηση” kinisi “movement”) are a broad and loose category of small proteins (~5–20 kDa) that are important in cell signaling. Their release has an effect on the behavior of cells around them. It can be said that cytokines are involved in autocrine signalling, paracrine signalling and endocrine signalling as immunomodulating agents. Their definite distinction from hormones is still part of ongoing research. Cytokines include chemokines, interferons, interleukins, lymphokines, and tumour necrosis factors but generally not hormones or growth factors (despite some overlap in the terminology). Cytokines are produced by a broad range of cells, including immune cells like macrophages, B lymphocytes, T lymphocytes and mast cells, as well as endothelial cells, fibroblasts, and various stromal cells; a given cytokine may be produced by more than one type of cell (Wiki). The book I am reading, MIND ON FIRE, discusses them as part of a stunning examination of a very exotic brain disease. Autoimmune and other terms of interest to us are discussed. Very interesting, hard to put down.

19. Kitty says:

Just an FYI. VERSED IS GIVEN ROUTINELY AS A PRE OP. I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE WOMAN HAD…

20. Kitty says:

Versed is routinely used in preop…trust me on that. Perhaps you need to be more active in mainstream. The woman didnt have an accident. Does Dr Lucente work in trauma surgery?.

• Bejah Blue says:

I did not know what this was so thought others may not either.
      Knowledge is power so here is description. https://www.drugs.com › Drugs A to Z › Versed (Oral)
      Uses For Versed. Midazolam is used to produce sleepiness or drowsiness and to relieve anxiety before surgery or certain procedures. Midazolam is also given to produce amnesia (loss of memory) so that the patient will not remember any discomfort or undesirable effects that may occur after a surgery or procedure. Bejah

• Still Standing says:

Bejah, the problem with versed is that it does cause amnesia. It is effective in procedures that don’t need you to be under, just sedated, such as colonoscopies. It is a convenient medication for hospitals to administer routinely because they don’t have to worry about attending to patient dignity. People on versed don’t remember being laid out naked on an operating table, legs strapped up in stirrups with no draping. Think about this knowing that often medical device salespeople are sitting right there taking in the scene without your permission. There are better ways to address pre operative anxiety without rendering you incapable of demanding and receiving absolute respect for your body. For that reason, I will not have versed administered ever. Ask your anesthesiologist for a better option if this bothers you as well.

21. David says:

Dr Ghoneim helped my wife when other doctors wouldn’t. He is at UC Irvine.

• Bejah Blue says:

David, I know that name. I believe he is very highly regarded. I think very well of UC Irvine. It is where I had brain surgery in 2009 with Mark Linskey, a god in the world of brain surgeons.

22. Bejah Blue says:

A word about Pomegranates because they are especially good for us and we need to take special care of our immune system. Here is basic data lifted fm INET:Pomegranate Juice –

pomegranate juice benefits our skin, hair and overall health. The benefits include slowing aging, preventing hair loss, heart diseases, anemia and Alzheimer’s disease, improving digestion, strengthening bones, and maintaining blood sugar and blood pressure levels. It also helps protect arteries from clogging.

Pomegranate is a Middle Eastern fruit. It contains a higher level of antioxidants than other fruits, green tea and red wine. It helps keep your heart protected because of its high concentration of antioxidants and high phenolic compounds.

It also reduces Anemia, aids digestion, Improves bone health,
    lowers Blood Pressure and even treats Alzheimer’s.
    It is a good source of energy, dietary fiber, protein, and minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, zinc and sodium. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and has a respectable amount of vitamin E. Finally it has no cholesterol.

Pomegranate juice has anti-aging properties that help slow down aging process, removes fine lines and reduces wrinkles. It promotes regeneration of healthy skin cells, and prevention of hyper pigmentation and recurring dark spots.

I bought a tree for my mom at a good nursery for about $20.00. I think it was a 20 gal. container. The little garden tree has gorgeous large red flowers that are followed by the beautiful fruits. It is a good investment for your health if you live in an area where you can grow it. I often buy a container of the juice when I am at the market to get a fix when I do not have access to the fruit. It is kind of expensive to buy it in the market but food is medicine and that is a good way to think of it. Happily a friend has a tree in his front yard and gives my basket fulls when the tree is fruiting, as I recall late fall here in CA.

23. Kitty says:

Actually…i prefer 10mg of Valium. Whoa!!

24. Kay says:

Hello Everyone,
    I hope this Holiday weekend finds you all well. I am part of the mass number of women in the West Virginia MDL Case against one of the manufacturers who are now making settlement offers. I have suffered from two different BSC mesh implants. I feel so much for each and every one of you. I read the post about the dream of an island with beach houses for all the mesh suffering people and admit I would move there to help support all of us in a heartbeat!! I think I may have “timed out” writing this post so will try to send it now and continue another post as I want to know what your opinions are on accepting or declining an offer and the disgusting contract that must be signed…..

25. Kay says:

Thank you Jane for approving my post!! I am so torn about accepting the offer given to me. It is a good or decent offer if not for all the fees being taken out before I get it making what is left minimal. And the contract releasing BSC of EVERYTHING is deplorable!!! I have been lead to believe if I don’t accept the offer the only thing left to do is take them to court in a trial case. I guess I am hoping that someone here knows if there is another option. My attorney group says if we go to court it will take years. But my question is if I don’t accept the offer on the table will this Company assigned to making these offers make a better offer or does the offer go away? Does anyone know how this works? My attorneys want me to accept it but it’s not their life and body. And I don’t think I have been given all my options. Any help you can give would be very very appreciated. *Hugs*

There are so many variables Kay. Not knowing what you have been offered, there are a few things to consider… The manufactures of mesh seems to be fully in charge here ( I’m not a lawyer) and are dictating the conditions of settlement. A tier system has been set up, awarding points based on the number of revision or removal surgeries. So you must consider how many removals you have had. The firm should tell you what Tier of injury you are in. Do they have all of your information? Are they willing to go back and negotiate on your behalf for your injuries beyond revisions- ie job loss, loss of home and husband, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, related surgeries etc. If you law firm fires you, you are not obligated to pay them… otherwise if you sought a new lawyer, the first firm would want a percentage. That makes it very unlikely another would want more. Having said all that, in some instances the offer is so low to be almost nonexistent and you have very little to lose to seek another representative. Will your original firm take you to court? At this point, most will not unless they’ve already been at trial. It’s way too much work to get up to speed and frankly, most law firms are not willing to go there. If they do, they would need the assistance of a trial law firm that’s already been to court on these cases….Again, I’m not a lawyer but this is a general guideline. Any other lawyers are welcome to chime in here, even anonymously, and correct me.

When you sign the settlement, you also agree to a nondisclosure clause, meaning you cannot talk about how much you have received.

26. Kay says:

I don’t think my firm wants to negotiate for a better or higher settlement as they made it sound like they wouldn’t offer anything better and the only option if I don’t accept the offer is to go to trial. I don’t know if I buy that. I just wanted to know if anyone else has turned down a first offer and then was given a better one? I know I can’t talk about the amount of the offer but wish I could!! And of course like everyone else I changed my name.

Yes, I know of women who said “Go back and get a better offer if you want me to sign,” and they got one. But you have to have a devastating injury case and the right law firm who will fight for you.

27. Kay says:

Thank you again Jane. You have been very helpful. Everyone here is so lucky to have you on their side. I have been reading your site here for over two years and find so much information and very touching stories.

I have a lot to think about and a huge decision to make with very little time.

*Hugs* to you Jane!!

Kay- I’m so sorry you are in this position.. I guess the bottom line must always be how much do you need the money. The mesh makers know that and they add insult to the injury they’ve already caused by adding so much stress to the people they’ve already injured. It is a very sad.

28. Kay says:

Thank you again Jane…yes, It is too stressful to even make a decision right now.

29. KAYE says:

My offer has been 4000.00 Pain since 2012 and more surg to come.

30. Kay says:

Kaye – Four thousand dollars? That is it?? Wow…I am shocked! That is an insult!! These Mesh companies are losing MILLIONS of dollars in Court!! That has to say something!! I am so very angry for you!!

31. T-Pain says:

Jane, Some one close to me has been offered a settlement in the Charleston, WV, Judge Goodwin court, continued on March 6, 2017. Does our law firms have our best interest? Being offered a $90.000.00 settlement is insulting! After all fees are taken out and medical bills (an undetermined amount) she would have nothing left. The medical bills will continue leaving her in debt. After receiving her offer she has contacted her attorney’s asking for a list of all expenses to be taken out of the settlement. It’s been several weeks and she has not received the list or any contact with her attorney’s. She filed her case in June 2008. She has been through all the depositions, doctor’s appointments out of state for both her attorney’s and J&J and Ethicon. She suffers every day and will continue to be in pain the rest of her life. She will continue to have medical bills from UTI, Bladder problems and more! Her quality of life has been robbed from her. What should she do next. How long will it be before she gets her day in court? It’s so sad watching this happen to someone you love. Jane, Can you contact me?

I will contact you. Unfortunately, this is a common story. After everything is subtracted she will likely see less than half of that.