L.B. v Ethicon: Defense Wraps Up its Pelvic Mesh Case

Prolene mesh

Prolene mesh

“Cathy” continues her observations from a Dallas courtroom where 64-year-old L.B. is facing multi-billion dollar healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson and its women’s health and urology division, Ethicon. Cathy is a mesh-injured woman who cannot be identified because she is involved in litigation.

Mesh News Desk is very grateful to its citizen court watchers!   Thank you very much.

*UPDATE* Case went to the jury at 3:15 pm Wednesday!

L.B. was implanted with a TVT-O, a plastic polypropylene (PP) mesh in January 2011 at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas. The case is wrapping up with the defense presenting its side of the events regarding her complications.  Monday, it was clear that LB. was a smoker with a health of medical problems including diabetes, overweight with high blood pressure. As we are learning throughout these cases, PP mesh is not contraindicated for anyone with any medical condition.  (Contraindicated- a warning against using a product/ device in someone with preexisting conditions. See this study).  If the warning does not exist, how then can the patient be blamed for having had the device implanted?

Thank you “Cathy” for your observations and opinions gathered during your time spent in the courtroom. Many people are very appreciative. Here is her story:

judge mallet 200“Today was April Fools Day. The only “fools” in the courtroom were the J&J Legal Team and their “expert” medical witness.

“Dr. Anhalt is a urologist from Houston.  See his practice page here.

He has an impressive resume and was very comfortable sitting in the witness chair answering questions from the J&J team.  He was quite the expert in that he talked to the jury as if he were teaching them about TVT’s and TVT-O’s.

Dr. Melvyn Anhalt, urologist witness for J&J

Dr. Melvyn Anhalt, urologist witness for J&J

He stated that years ago he used to be a expert witness, but hadn’t done that in several years.  He answered questions regarding Linda’s medical difficulties and went out of the way to make it clear to the jury that none of her problems were mesh-related.  He went out of his way to constantly bring up the smoking issues, weight, and poor health before implantation.

“He stated that he’s done 600 TVT and TVT-O procedures.  He stated that complications were “rare” and he could only remember one case with minor complications that were minor and quickly resolved.  I was afraid the jury would buy into his inflated opinion of himself….. He stated he spent over 45 hours reviewing her records.  He admitted he was being paid to testify.  This presentation took up the entire morning.  By lunch, I was worried that he “had the jury.”  The judge announced a two-hour lunch break and I no longer had an appetite.

Cross – Examination

Richard Freese, Freese & Goss attorney for L.B.

Richard Freese, Freese & Goss attorney for L.B.

“After the lunch break it was time for more of Dr. Anhalt’s testimony and I was hoping the jury would want to take a nap.  Even if some had planned on it, Mr. Freese, the attorney for L.B. was about to WAKE THEM UP.  Mr. Richard A. Freese (Freese & Goss) went straight for the jugular.  It was established that Dr. Anhalt was an Ethicon consultant making big bucks.

“An Ethicon consulting contract was shown to the jury proving he was hired to provide teaching services as a preceptor to build on the number of doctors using their mesh.  Separately Ethicon documents were shown that Dr. Anhalt was paid over $300,000.00 in one year for recruiting and teaching doctors to use the TVT/TVT-O.  Confidential Ethicon documents were displayed that showed just about everything he’d said in the morning was FALSE.  At one point Mr. Freese was asking him if he recalled (using fake names as I did not write down their names) Mary Jones, Sally Smith, Lucy Peterson etc. He said those names did not ring a bell.  Mr. Freese said these women were all patients of his that had complications and were now suing Ethicon.  The jury at this point was all ears.

“Of course the J&J team objected (due to this having to do with the MDL). Apparently talking about the multidistrict litigation (MDL) was off-limits and the judge was forced to ask the jury to forget they heard that.  Too late, the damage was done.  Poor Dr. Anhalt was slowly sinking in his chair.

“At one point he said “I don’t remember making that kind of money, I’ll have to look at my tax returns.  He was so flustered, he had trouble trying to back pedal.  When Ethicon docs were shown to the jury showing that Ethicon knew they had problems with the mesh, he looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock.  Mr. Freese discounted everything Dr. Anhalt had said this morning (with strong evidence to back it up).

“At one point I saw a jury member laughing and covering up his mouth to hide his laughter.  Dr. Anhalt looked like he lost every friend on the jury.  I looked at the J&J team and have never seen so many RED faces at one time.  They knew this looked BAD.  Every time they would object to something the judge would say overruled.  I really think the judge wanted to hear more of the TRUTH.  This was a very good day for Linda and her team.

“The jury is tired and they have had enough and Dr. Anhalt did not come across as honest.  Mr. Freese managed to counter all the items that had me worried this morning.  He was spectacular!  I don’t think the jury has anymore patience for Ethicon, the J&J team or any of their witnesses.

Dr. Tom Margolis, female pelvic surgeon who appeared at L.B. trial

Dr. Tom Margolis, female pelvic surgeon who appeared at L.B. trial

“This morning Dr. Anhalt disagreed with both Dr. Margolis and expert witness Peggy Pence Ph,D.  The confidential docs from Ethicon made them look so bad, they knew about the mesh complications and it was clear in the evidence that Mr. Freese showed the jury.  The afternoon definitely belonged to Linda and her team.  I wouldn’t be surprised if I found out tomorrow that a settlement offer had been made.  This was a wonderful day because so much TRUTH came out.  My heart was bursting with happy, happy, happy.”

*Editors Note*  The Batiste v. Ethicon case is expected to go to the jury this week and a decision is likely before Friday.

1. Noreen Wideman says:

I hope the jury scares the defendents into making a decent and fair settlement offer that avoids the problem of appeals tying up funds that are often needed long before they arrive for medical procedures and help to improve quality of life …… Kudos to the the plaintiff lawyer team …… congrats to LB for a good fight and standing up for herself and the sisterhood of mesh injured women world wide

2. Barbara Dykes says:

Thank God for Linda’s attorney who revealed that Doctor and J&J were liars. How Dare Dr. Anhalt say this is all in her “head”. What a cruel thing to say. The best part “I can’t remember Johnson and Johnson paying me $300,000!” He will have to check his records ??? Shame on all of you who don’t believe that this many women from all over the country/world could have such problems with these products !We are with you Linda. Stand your ground. I am praying for you…don’t let them make you feel small.

3. Evelyn says:

Good Luck LB praying for you ..

4. Mary pat says:

When truth is allowed in the court room it is a breath of fresh air! It is uplifting to the spirit. It renews hope. Thank you LB and your team for bringing the truth to light. Thank you Jane, Aaron and Cathy for bringing the truth to the world! We all would be in the dark without you. Most grateful.

Jane, you make a powerful point. How dare them blame a patient for having poor health which in their wicked and heinous opinion caused mesh erosion! It is up to the doctor to decide if a patient is a good candidate for a mesh implant. If the pharma company did not indicate contrainidicatiins how was the doctor to know? More importantly, how was the patient to know of the dangers of mesh???????

LB we are all praying for you.

5. Paula says:

If a settlement is reached before trial ends, how will this affect future trials? Can the evidence braught forth in this trial be used and referred to in others cases?

6. Diane Fichter says:

Sending only positive vibes to LB for a positive outcome! I am incensed that J&J Lawyers would say this is all in L.B’s head!!! How can they keep discounting all of us having problems with THEIR Mesh product?? Every single day there are more and more lawsuits being filed and that is because people are finally comfortable enough to share their mesh stories because their pain is REAL! We have to stand united and keep the pressure on! Our voices will be heard and we will NOT just go away! If anything we are becoming stronger and stronger each day because our pain is undeniable and our lives have been impacted greatly from a FAULTY product! I dare anyone of the male Lawyers for J&J or the Dr’s to have a piece of Polypropylene inserted into their penis!?? Wonder how they would feel when they start having adverse side effects! We MUST keep the heat on…we gain more strength as more and more join our fight for a world WITHOUT MESH DEVICES!!!!! Praying for you LB!!!!

7. jacqui scott says:

good luck LB pray that justice will be done you have right on your side stay strong

8. pam says:

Those doctors testifying for the companies are lying coming and going for the companies in courts. Investments they all will lose , why did one of the stockholders as it was shown on web site, sell majority of his stock in company? They are buying time for those not to lose money, politicians , and more , that made billions. TELL THE TRUTH, THE PROBLEMS ALL WOMEN are having with mesh was not there before mesh implant , all symptoms similar but every women story different, different names of doctors and happenings that the courts are not allowing to be told. Years of suffering , and being lied to over and over, and courts want to stop women from knowing and turning to other women for help, to warn other women DO NOT HAVE MESH IMPLANT,

I had no infections before implant , I went for months , doctors knowing what mesh was doing and al lying so are these doctors, politicians, media and judges and attorneys. THEY FURTHER PUT WOMEN THROUGH HELL BY TELLING THEM THEY CAN NOT SPEAK OUT AND WARN OTHER WOMEN. THAT IS THE TRUTH AND COVER UP , PERJURY IS A CRIME OR SUPPOSE TO BE, , BIT NOT IN SOME COURTS THAT STOP TRUTH FROM BEING TOLD. LIES PAY , AND PEOPLE SUFFER WHEN TRUTH IS SHUT UP AND NOT ALLOWED.

IT IS THE MESH, AS THEY LIE , AND LE , AND LIE, AND COVER UP TRUTH. I WISH THEY CPOULD EXAM ME NOW, AN ONGING SUFERING OF PAIN AND SCARS FROM INFECTIONS, NEVR STOPPING, IT IS VERY APPARENT, LET ME PUSH MESH IN THEIR MALE ORGA AND LET THEM SUFFER INFECTIONS FRM MESH THERE. AND SAY IT IS NOT THE MESH. ANY WOMAN THAT SAYS IT IS NOT THE MESH.

LIES ONLY MAKE ME MORE ANGRY.

9. pam says:

LOOK OVER WORDS NOT SPELLED CORECTLY, , I do not proof read , but the message is there, correct my errs please. am not up to it.

10. Jaramillo says:

Well it’s pretty clear why all the doctors I saw said “it’s all in your head”. “Buy this cognitive book to heal your mind and body” They have to deny in order to continue earning profits. Oh I hope they are held accountable. I hope it is in the media so women can protect themselves. I am sending copies to my implant. I doubt she will read it but maybe she has a conscience somewhere that can be brought to life.

11. Beth from Maine says:

I also hope they get a decent settlement offer, but meanwhile it would be nice if a jury could rule against JJ.

No matter what happens, JJ will likely fight any judgement awarded by the jury, it’s my experience judgements against large companies are often appealed as they can afford to drag it on forever. I really admire Richard Freese and wish he represented me!! He is a true knight in shining armour.

12. Ana Brown says:

Thank you for keeping us up to date on LB case. I am glad some of the truth about J&J came out in court. Praying for a positive outcome on her case. J&J will not keep on winning. We shall overcome.

13. Jaramillo says:

Cathy,

Thank you so much for updating all of us. For me, every trial feels like my own! I check the site several times a day. I experience anxiety for each of the plaintiffs and worry about how they are treated. As painful and re-traumatizing as it is to read everyday it is important to be aware of how the plaintiff is holding up. When Success is achieved, even small success, I feel excited.. Just a simple word of “over ruled” . Each piece of truth revealed feels like I have made it to the top of mount Everest. We know that when the settlement is divided it won’t amount to enough to provide for us long term. I know we have a lot to learn about what is ahead for us. The accountability is the important piece here. There are so many analogies that ring true with these hearings. If we were diagnosed with cancer, god forbid, we would be linked to a medical team and be provided regular treatment by a group of doctors that are passionate and committed to saving their patient. Yet on a weekly basis are symtoms are denied, brushed off as somatic, and we are degraded by being called drug addicts.. We truly LOST our lives. Our basic functions are gone. We celebrate when we can pick up a few groceries, pee without excruciating pain. Excitement for me, is when the laxative works and I can empty my bowels. .I have a new grandson that I can’t babysit or hold because of pain and my inability to pick him up. I have always kept my house very clean, but now I look around and it’s a depressing reminder of how I pray for a good day so I can clean the bath tub or dust my furniture. My friends call to have lunch, and I am so excited to see them. Saturday roles around and I can’t find the energy to shower and get read. The thought of having clothing on or around my belly is dreadful. I am afraid to go because I know I can’t sit for very long. I have overcome feelings of embarrassment. If I I manage to get out I can’t take the chance that the restaurant has padded chairs or booths so I carry my COMFY PILLOW in my car. It took a while to overcome the stares and judgement of others. Yet we have to learn to use our accomadations if we want to do anything. We all know the really bad days, when our bellies are on fire and we look six months pregnant. We are unable to walk with our normal stride and we have to slowly waddle with each step we take. For me the trial is just an opportunity to hear one professional say,”HERE IS THE RESEARCH, YOU KNEW ALL OF THE CATASTROPHIC CONSEQUENCES AND YOU MARKETED THE DEVICE ANYWAY. YESTERDAY WAS AN absolute delight, Your vivid description…going for the jugular, hearing them embarrassed and shrinking in their chairs, their faces red with embarrassment, others laughing at them because the lies are revealed and they were blatantly caught. We have all left doctors appointments and had to sit in our cars afterward, because the tears are flowing and we can’t drive in that emotional condition. We ask ourselves, why does this doctor not believe me? Why can’t anyone help me? Defeated again, as embarrassing as it is to aknowledge, I have sat in my car countless times after a doctors appointment and wondered how I will manage another day, Then the thoughts of suicide attack me as THE ONLY OPTION. Our loved ones get overwhelmed and burdened. Then we carry the guilt of how much we need from them. We know we already burden them too much, it’s not really fair to share with them our hopelessness, grief, and our daily desire to just escape the pain. So the drastic thoughts of taking our own lives have to be repressed. Your reports, are an opportunity to hear that for just a few hours the truth was revealed, they were caught in a lie. The attorney that we have never met, is actually standing up and validating our feelings. The jury is hearing and seeing evidence as to how this corporation has lied, hidden, destroyed the facts. The jury is witnessing how J@J has no remorse and no problem humiliating us in public. We have been the only ones that shake our heads in disbelief. How can an industry intentionally commit such a heinous crime. Oh but today the jurors looked at one another “in disbelief” that the research was ignored. Your description of the facts lets each and everyone of us sit and reflect, celebrate the word “over ruled” and here that every lie they tell was discounted by their own videos, e-mails, manipulation of the facts. That alone is a reason for us not to give up. We all looooong for the facts and to hear they were presented and received by someone that can say “are you

f-ing kidding me? This can really happen? This company is still doing this? LB spoke for all of us. The attorneys battled for all of us and you , Aaron and Jane are the only ones that can get the word back to us. I don’t know you, but when I wake up at 2,3,4 am you ladies are what I am thinking about. My excitement is ” I hope they wrote to us, Sure enough 3 am, the body aches woke me up. My heart is aching for the embarrassment, shame, private details about LB’s inability to manage her bodily functions, her private details of her sexuality as a woman being discussed openly among a room full of strangers. I’m sure there was at least a handful of men in that court room that can’t achieve an erection, yet every private slither of LB”S life becomes public record. I think of how we all sit after our appointments and grieve in disbelief, and I worry who is with LB after the anxiety and humiliation she has gone through for hours. Yet this morning, she like us, can celebrate FINALLY THE TRUTH IS OUT, YIPEE THE GOT CAUGHT IN PUBLIC PRESENTING THEIR LIES. OH MY, THE JUDGE WANTS TO HEAR THE FACTS. LB thank you for tolerating the abuse to benefit all the women on this sight. To our writer’s, all of you, although we have never met, you are a life line for me. Just to hear and read your adjectives . . . truly changes our day. The good, the bad, the ugly, you are brave enough to talk about it. We have few people that listen, fewer that believe. WHO WOULD THINK A WEBSITE WOULD BE A PLACE THAT WE ARE ALL UNCONDITIONALLY LOVED. JANE, YOU HEAR IT FROM ALL OF US, BUT I’M NOT SURE WE CAN TRULY CONVEY WHAT MDND GIVES US. 4 AM, JURY IS OUT, I CAN SIT BACK,WRITE A NOTE TO MY SISTERS AND CELEBRATE OUR VICTORY OF TRUTH. IT IS A GOOD MORNING, BECAUSE I COULD OPEN MY COMPUTER AND READ JURY IS OUT! MAY JUSTICE TRULY PREVAIL. MAY THEY BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, THAT IS WHAT WE ARE SEARCHING FOR. GET IT OFF THE MARKET, THE VERDICT IS… A DEFECTIVE DEVICE. WE WILL NOT ALLOW WOMEN TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS THAT IS OUR SEARCH. PEACE TO ALL, THANKS FOR HAVING COFFEE WITH ME, THERE’S NO ONE TO TALK TO AT 4AM.

• Wendy says:

Hi I just read your posting and I’m sure we all can relate to how our lives have been changed because we put out lives in the doctors hands. I had part of my mesh removed, but have developed further pain from trying to remove this product. My surgeon couldn’t even look me in the eye. He Said unfortunately I have removed a lot mesh. I’m scared to go and try to get the rest of the mesh out in hopes of less pain. I’m already feeling my life is gone and couldn’t imagine if I had more complications after any surgery to help make my life worth living. My life is full of anger and anxiety of financial worry. Since my first surgery, I have no job, no home, no money coming in and being forced to sell all my belonging and move in with a family member. I can’t stop feeling a despert feeling that I can’t do this anymore, suicide feelings are still there, but knowing I can’t do this to my son, but how do you go on when you don’t want to any more. I was 48 and a single mother when I had my life taken away, and I had no control over that. These companies that were aware of these health issues before selling this mesh, wow how does one do that after knowing that there product could ruin even one life. Isn’t there some law against knowing what they knew is a criminal charge.

14. Jaramillo says:

WHY IS GM ALL OVER EVERY NEWS STATION? WHY DID THE MEDIA JUMP ON PRESENTING “THEY NEW THE PART WAS DEFECTIVE AND THEY WOULD NOT SPEND $5.00 TO FIX IT. LlVES WERE LOST AND THE NATION IS BEING MADE AWARE. THE COMPANY IS BEING INVESTIGATED. HOW QUICKLY THE GOVERMENT PRESENTED THE INFORMATION. EVEN GMS LEADER WENT PUBLIC, ACCEPTING HOW WRONG IT IS. YET THE SECRETS OF MESH CONTINUE TO BE HIDDEN. THE TRUTH IS KEPT SECRET. HOW IS THE MESH PROBLEM ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE CHOICES MADE BY GM. EVERY LOST LIFE DUE TO NEGLIGENCE NEEDS TO BE TALKED ABOUT. THOSE CARS ARE RECALLED. THE COUNTRY WANTS TO SAVE THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WHO OWN THOSE CARS. WHY ARE WE NOT TREATED EQUALLY? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HINAULT ON WORLD NEWS TONIGHT. 60 MINUTES WILL PRESENT THE LIES WITHIN THE STOCK MARKET, YET THE HUBS OF FAMILIES, WOMEN ARE DYING BUT NO ONE WILL TALK ABOUT WHO IS RESPONSIBLE. HOW MANY WOMEN ,JUST TODAY WILL BE IMPLANTED AND NEVER TOLD WHAT SHE WILL FACE AHEAD!

• Injured says:

I was wondering about that myself…GM is all over the news for a part that would’ve cost the company 57 cents I think CBS said yet nothing is being aired about mesh….anywhere that I’ve heard. Yet some 40,000+ are set to go to court over a ‘defective product’. I’m so happy that some of the truth was put out there in the court and pray that it WILL be soon enough. “Hope springs eternal”…

• Dean says:

We really have to start thinking is the media being told to be hush hush about the mesh and WHY?

• Dean says:

I have sent emails to the news team and the Health news team where we live what has happend to my wife with out even getting a response back fr them WHY? This is apparently the biggest law suit ever filed against these manufacturers when GM is all over the news for a defective part where is the humanity in that wish someone would wake up to see what is going on all they have to do is type TVTO Mesh and there you go.Politics Power and Greed.

15. Barbara Dykes says:

Every day I learn something new. As an R.N. I am shocked that the woman I chose (OBGYN) had this information but did not share it with me. I had my Implant October 2008…please note FDA warning(this is only a small part of warning) Its all about the money for Doctors who implant and don’t warn and for johnson and Johnson and others.

Purpose:

On Oct. 20, 2008, the FDA issued a Public Health Notification and Additional Patient Information on serious complications associated with surgical mesh placed through the vagina (transvaginal placement) to treat POP and SUI.

Based on an updated analysis of adverse events reported to the FDA and complications described in the scientific literature, the FDA identified surgical mesh for transvaginal repair of POP as an area of continuing serious concern.

16. David says:

“WHY IS GM ALL OVER EVERY NEWS STATION?” And still “…THE SECRETS OF MESH CONTINUE TO BE HIDDEN.” The answer is two fold:

1st fold: Very simply, mesh gives the physician perpetrator of a crime against patient orientated medicine (the failure to mitigate unwarranted device risk in a hierarchical treatment approach, for an individual patient’s best interest), the immediacy of their own (that surgeon’s) heightened efficacy self-gratification; as the failure of the native tissue repair is the direct reflection of a surgeon’s competency – narcissism. And, upon regressively training a surgeon to abusively target an entire patient population as their and…

2nd fold: the device manufacturer’s best practice of medicine, it was all –first about the device manufacturer’s ability to undermine the human rights of patients (through predatory use of the patient/doctor relationship) to exploit a profit opportunity in the human body; as it was to deceptively transferred upon the unsuspecting patient an unreasonable level risk (upon insulating the physician perpetrator of accountability behind the standard of care). A naive, vulnerable patient is setup against a very polished physician salesman/women who will not be held accountable for their crimes against their patients.

The just of it: For any government to take the necessary steps to prevent the widespread, systematic exploitation of human beings within it borders for profitable gain would be to interfere with the physician/manufacturer’s best practice of medicine.

17. Barbara Dykes says:

Once America’s most trusted company, J&J has toppled into trouble as it pursued an all-out drive for profits at all costs, so to speak. Based on my experiences in corporate life, I suspect executives stressing adherence to quality standards have been shut up. This Titanic-like behemoth is headed for the iceberg unless basic changes are made in policies, in my opinion as a corporation watcher since 1955. (quote from JAMA)

18. Barbara Dykes says:

Have not heard anything about Linda’s verdict in Texas. Hope that it is good news. I just read a legal article I think Jane posted about Mass Tortes. “Defendents live by the rule of DENY, DELAY, DEFEND” They have tons of money and can sit on cases for years…like the Asbesto claims. I have seen that on TV for 3 decades. Plantiffs are working hard but don’t have the Billions like J&J has(Ethicon). just pray for this to end. It won’t make us whole again but will help to know JUSTICE is still alive in America. Thank you Jane.

19. jade says:

This article may prove helpful to some victims! It is definitely encouraging to see the advancements in the medical industry. Lab grown vaginas may be a solution to many mesh injured women.

20. jade says:

“Ethicon develops the suture of the future at €80 million Limerick plant – Limerick Leader:” So, wlith this latest news, it doesn’t seem J&J is running out of steam or MONEY by spending over $140 Million US Dollars on their new venture into Ireland. Women of Ireland BEWARE!

My sentiments to J&J: Filleann an feall ar an bhfeallaire.

• Barbara Dykes says:

J&J’s Stock is at all time high! They are focusing on pharmaceuticals. Just google J&J stock….they just made 354 million on a drug for Hep C.No mention of the mesh. I guess the Board of Directors who were sueing J&J because of the Mesh Madness are now on top again. I will ask in the future before I take any perscription made by them…too risky.

21. Renae says:

What about autoimmune problems? They are pushing these cases but not even concerned about autoimmune problems. I have been to so many different specialists. The mesh severed some nerves, I just had my thyroid removed because the nodules were multiplying…fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue w/ swollen lymph nodes, excessive daytime sleepiness, need a second corrective surgery, scar tissue, constant pain, asthma, the mesh is toxic, problems will arise down the road for many! HELP!!!!!

Renae- Probably half of women writing here complain of some type of autoimmune issues… This must be explored further. I’ve got some people interested. Please write me privately at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com to see who you can talk to…Thank you and I”m sorry. ~ ja

22. Tami says:

Each time I see Dr Anhalt’s photo and read his testimony I am sickened. He implanted my prolift, examined me when it failed and his comments were surprising,. He then abandoned me. His “Oath”. ?????

I’m sorry Tami- the implant docs seem to be the last ones to get it! Have you found competent medical care since then?

23. Deborah Craig says:

I had this bladder mesh surgery twice in 2010. This doctor Anhalt was there for the second surgery and I didn’t find out until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking through my medical records. He was not the surgeon but I found out he assisted. I was not having any bladder problems until my doctor suggested that I have this mesh implant, I went in because I felt this bulge in my vagina during a shower and I thought it was my uterus. I was sent to a urologist and was told it was a prolapsed bladder. If I had been told this mesh had warnings about it’s usage, I wouldn’t have ever agreed to surgery. After the first surgery I was told that I would probably have to use a catheter for the rest of my life. I was shocked because I was told the surgery was easy and I would be home in a day, which was true but I could barely walk afterwards. I went in for follow-up and the surgeon informed me that she would have to go back in and do more surgery, not really explaining why just stated that she needed to go back in to repair. Since the two surgeries, my bladder won’t hold anything long, I constantly run to the bathroom through the night and cannot get a full night of sleep. I went back to another urologist and he knew the doctor that did the surgery. He lied to my face and told me that going to the bathroom ten times in one night was normal and I knew then that he was not trustworthy. My regular doctor wouldn’t help either, she would not even look at results from my visit with the urologist and just said that I should go back to the initial surgeon to see what she suggest to do. I don’t trust them and I didn’t go back to either of them. I continue to have pain in my left side and bladder incontinence. I am trying to have this mesh removed and I am waiting to see what a new surgeon will tell me about more surgery in a couple of days. I think it’s disgraceful as to what people will do for money. This guy operated on me and I never met him or knew who he was. The surgeon told me she needed help with the second surgery, I should have known something was wrong. I did file a law suit and I found out that the maker of the mesh was Johnson and Johnson. In 2010 the urologist knew about the warnings, why wasn’t I told?

Deborah- A failure to provide informed consent is extremely common. Most women did not know mesh was put in them. I’m sorry you are going through this round robin of surgeons. Where are you located and do you have insurance? You do not want to have a partial removal… you can write to me privately at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com