Kathleen: Questions to Ask Before Mesh Removal

//Kathleen: Questions to Ask Before Mesh Removal

Kathleen: Questions to Ask Before Mesh Removal

Mesh after removal

‘Kathleen‘ (not her real name which she doesn’t want to use because of litigation)  is a regular reader of MDND and has some suggestions on the questions to ask of doctors before a mesh removal procedure.  She has had her mesh removed and met with many doctors before choosing one.

Since there are so few full mesh removal doctors around the country, or around the world, for that matter, she suggests you sharpen your interview skills – this is a matter of your life and not time to be polite.

Kathleen says she’s heard from many women who have gone to doctors who may not be completely forthcoming about removal, so she, along with a friend who has had removal and reconstruction, compiled a list of questions to ask before surgery.

These are suggested questions. MDND does not offer medical or legal advice.

“Be aware that by not understanding mesh removal, you are at the mercy of doctors who will snip away a small piece and then tell you he/she removed it all, or you can wind up worse off than you were before removal.

“Here are the questions you need to ask.  DO NOT be afraid to ask them.  If your doctor acts offended or uncomfortable, then more than likely it is because he/she is not experienced in removal.  You cannot afford to be practiced on.  Your future and perhaps your life is at stake.”

*Do you remove the mesh completely?

*How many have you removed?

*Can you remove it off the bone?

*Do you remove the arms, anchors?

*What diagnostic equipment do you have ?  (trans vaginal ultrasound that digitally shows the mess, pelvic mri that shows degrees of prolapse/cystocele?)

*How long is the recovery?

*Can you repair and reconstruct me using my own facsia tissue graft within 6 months of removal if needed.

*Do you agree a partial removal only leads to more problems?  If the answer is no, RUN!

*What is done in my aftercare, catheter, pain management and follow ups?

By | 2012-04-02T18:01:04+00:00 April 2nd, 2012|Your Turn|109 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Noreen Wideman April 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

absolutely well said!!!!!! thanks from nonie (noreen)

2. EJH April 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Partial removals are not acceptable. They lead to more devastation, I know this, I’ve experienced this. I’ve been lied to and so many Dr.’s still believe they only have to remove the part that hurts. Thanks for your questions, they are absolutely right on and necessary!

3. tina September 27, 2012 at 12:46 am - Reply

I just found this website and now I am feeling very worried about the mesh sling that I have. It has eroded info the vagina and I am scheduled to have a “revision” surgery on Monday Oct 1. The doctor makes it sound like such a simple process , just cut , snip, sew and out ya go, but reading many of the articles I am no confused. Has anyone heard of “revision” surgery. I was under the impression that the doctor would just be removing the mesh that has eroded through the tissuee. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Jane Akre September 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Tina-

Before your procedure, please post your question also at these Face Book places, because many of the women have experienced partial removals.

FB group

FB Page

Medical Mesh Legal Support

TVT-No Mesh Survivors

• Jill Wibbenhorst November 13, 2015 at 10:49 am - Reply

Thank you for all the great information. Let me start with, I’m petrified! I had my bladder sling put in during my hysterectomy in 2009. I no longer have a uterus, tubes, ovaries or cervix. My mesh has eroded and can be felt by my husband during intercourse and the GYN can feel it when she examines. I have an appointment to see Dr. Anna Frick in Orinda, CA on January 21. After reading several responses from other women I’m now wondering if all the issues I’m having with my legs, hips and feet are not also related. I cannot walk for any distance, like around my block without my legs getting terribly weak and having to rest for a significant period of time before finishing in order to make it the rest of the way home. I was ignorant to the fact that the mess can effect or damage the nerves. I am now seeing a Dr. Regarding the nerve issue (leg weakness) and am wondering if it is useless to go on because it may be related to this mesh issue. Boy, how I wish I had never opted to have it put in. Looking back I can now see, that is where all my issues began.

4. Maria June 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm - Reply

How long was your recovery? I followed this steps since i had a partial removal before with little improvement at the beginning and progressively after 4 months or started with same erosion and awful symptoms and pain

5. Betty June 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Do not have a partial removal. It leads to multiple surgeries. I do not understand why the Dr.’s are just not getting it. Some of them believe that mesh is inert (even the FDA has studies showing it’s not), some believe our scar tissue goes through it and holds it in place, then how did it move in the first place? How did it erode? Some erosions are not felt because they haven’t hit a nerve bed. If they do – you’ll know it. Some think it’s their “technique”. I’ve had too many surgeries, read too many studies, talked to too many women to believe this. If the mesh is eroding, this will continue. Get it all out in one surgery – very hard surgery – but worth it. I wish I’d have known that back then. I have a theory – when the mesh is cut – or revised (moved, cut and/or put in a different location) it changes the dynamics of the total mesh. There are forces on the mesh from the pelvis in different directions. Usually the arms are put into the obturator fossa – which holds all the blood vessels and nerves to the legs (there are new meshes on the market that don’t enter the obturator). Our legs move in many directions and dynamics change – especially when walking. Then the urethra and/or internal organs (depending on the mesh) put forces on this polypropylene in other ways. If we’re bending, stretching etc. there are other forces. The pelvis is really a very complex design, which works very well. Even though the polypropylene is usually woven (like fabric, it has an ability to stretch and move, which is very limited), it is still designed to be a stable force to hold the urethra (or other organs, again depending on which one). If it is cut, moved or changed once it is installed the forces against it change. This is after scar tissue has a chance to grow (unless mesh eroded immediately – which is also the easiest time to get it out) which causes the installed mesh to pull in different ways which causes pain. My own mesh shrank, I loss the ability to urinate, it was cut and even the Dr. noted it moved at least 1/8″ on both sides. Then it went in it’s own direction, each subsequent surgery to remove the part causing issues thus changing the dynamics. And more erosion into different areas. There is also FBR (foreign body reaction), which means your own body is trying to remove it – much like it would push out a sliver, this is a huge sliver and a lot harder for the body to remove. If this is the case then cutting it would change the overall stability and it would be easier for the body to push a smaller piece. One problem being that it doesn’t always erode out of the body. It erodes into organs, blood vessels, etc. If the mesh is close to the skin, it is easier for it to erode out. I am not a Dr. I have been personally affected by mesh. I have watched myself and others describe what is going on. We have seen a pattern – get a partial removal, the immediate great pain is much lower or even gone, at least for the amount of time we’re resting for recovery, following recovery and increasing activity, pain returns, often worse than the beginning problem. It is not until the mesh is all out that pain gets any better. But by then there are so many other issues from several surgeries. Even nerve damage, which is extremely painful. The mesh is also easier to remove when it is in one piece. It is very hard to find in pieces. It takes a very skilled surgeon to remove it. I have been told by an expert that the requirements for schooling dropped when mesh came on the market. Before mesh there was a requirement for an extra 3 years of training in order to know how to put in the burch procedure or the MMK (other cystocele repairs, the old-fashioned way). Mesh doesn’t require that education. It is a blind procedure and being an OB/GYN or a urologist is sufficient. It only takes measurements to install. Which is really questionable, it is assuming that we’re all built the same. It does not allow for anatomic anomalies. This is my theory, as I said not medically trained. I pray that you will get the help you need.

6. Michele June 14, 2013 at 5:12 pm - Reply

Betty, thanks for your forthcoming and honest answers to many questions I have had. My doctor told me he could only remove the mesh in my vagina and not in my legs. He was only going to partially remove it. But I am having a lot of pain in my hips and groin so I’m assuming the surgery he suggested, begrudgingly, will not fix those issues. My doctor would also not confirm that the mesh was causing me any of the problems I am having. He thinks the pain could be coming from something else, but was unable to tell me what or where. I don’t want to end up worse than I am now. Unfortunately the only doctors who seem to be experts in mesh removal are either in Atlanta or California. And they do not accept insurance and the quote I was given was quite high. I live in New Jersey so either trip will also be expensive. I don’t know what to do. I’m afraid to just go to any doctor in my network even if they say they can remove the mesh.

• Roslyn Bourgeois March 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Have read on tvno site about a dr in ST Louis who does mesh removal.

• Bonnie S July 12, 2016 at 9:02 pm - Reply

What Dr is that?

• Susan January 31, 2017 at 6:09 pm - Reply

Dr. Veronikis is the MD in St. Louis. He is awesome, very skilled and removed 98% of my mesh this past week. I am four days post-op and things are progressing well! Haven House in St. Louis is an awesome place to recover if you are from out of town. Good luck!

• Sandi April 4, 2017 at 10:15 am

What kind of problems/issues were you having prior to your mesh removal? What kind of recovery time and restrictions do you have now?

• Tonya September 26, 2016 at 9:04 am - Reply

I too had a complete hysterectomy in 2005 with a bladder mesh and rectocyle put into place and it’s been a nightmare to say the least. My gyn doctor did a revision surgery in 2013 and 6 months later I could feel the mesh again in the same area. So I changed gyn’s and he is wonderful after he examined me he wanted to go in and do another revision surgery but he wanted my Uro doctor to be in there with him to address the bladder issue. The Uro doctor said no and referred me to Atlanta Ga to a Urogyno specialist. He is an awesome doctor and he has done multiple test on my bladder and he showed me and my husband on the cystoscopy video where the mesh has eroded through the vaginal wall again. It looks like two big rusty nails and it is very painful to sit, stand, cough, laugh or anything. And there has NOT been any sex with me and my husband since early 2006. Needless to say I want alllllllllll this mesh out of me. So I am scheduled for vaginal mesh removal on 09/28/2016 at Emory, not looking forward to it but it has to be done. This mesh is the worst thing that has ever been put on the market, if I had been told of the risk I would never had allowed my doctor to use it. Oh and did I mention I have two different kinds of mesh inside of me? Yep you heard me right. I am not using my name because I have a lawsuit going on that has been going on for 5 years now. I am beginning to wonder if any of us with the lawsuits will ever be compensated for this mess.

• Jane Akre September 26, 2016 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Best of luck on your surgery and hopefully put an end to this chapter.

• Barbara W October 24, 2016 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Tonya, How. are you now that your surgery is over. I am in your podition and don’t know where to turn. Barbara

7. Kelly June 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Can anyone give me a list of Drs that do the mesh removal? Thank you!

• Tonya September 26, 2016 at 9:06 am - Reply

don’t know where you live but Neil Gallaway at Emory Hospital specializes in the removal he is a unogyno dr. He is a very nice man who is very good at what he does and he has a great bed side manner with his patients.

8. kathy August 1, 2013 at 6:24 pm - Reply

i hve had 5 surgeries for one arm of the mesh coming thru my vagina..,now it is coming thru in another and i am in pain…are there doctors calif. that will remove it? i will not take a blood transfusion and the last surgery the doc clipped a small vessel which caused alot of blood loss and my blood pressure to drop to 51/35…i came out of it ok without a transfusion but won’t go back to that doctor again…now i’m without a doctor and need some advice.

• Jane Akre August 2, 2013 at 3:09 pm - Reply

UCLA is generally regarded as the best in the world at complete mesh removals, specifically Dr. Shlomo Raz.

9. Linda Springer March 9, 2014 at 11:21 am - Reply

Can anyone tell me or even suggest what I should do? I have been having problems ever since they installed my mesh implant 5 years ago. Everything from total incontinence to having the Monarch put in. The incontinence is an inconvenience, but the continual UTIs that I have every two to three weeks is not only painful, but a true pain in the butt!! I went to a Urologist and had an ultrasound done on my only kidney, and a procedure that was very painful where they took a probe and looked into my bladder to see if there was anything wrong there. I am very grateful for the prognosis from the Urologist, but I am still having chronic UTIs. The lawyer that I am working with suggests that I have the mesh removed, but after reading some of the comments, I’m not sure I should have it done! HELP!!! After 5 surgeries to try and fix this, I am not kidding, but my Husband wants nothing to do with fixing or even talking about this anymore. According to him “he’s done”, and I don’t blame him. Our sex life has suffered tremendously and we’ve been married 42 years. Everything was fine until I had this damned surgery done!!!!

• Bonnie my life was g July 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm - Reply

My life was good till I had to meet the Dr or so called doc named miles Howard in Goodyear as he is not a good he does not care for his patients.

10. Kim E September 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm - Reply

Very Confused.

Yesterday – I went to see GYN and complained about feeling the stitches from the mesh surgery from 2007… how it is painful at times during intercourse and yes my husband feels it both with fingers as well as during intercourse. Anyway she looked, and thought yes they should be removed. Brought in another doc and he said sure no problem, we can resect that out. Very simple, no recovery. I get the paperwork and it states clearly – mesh exposure – remove mesh — not remove stitches but remove mesh. I have called to speak to doc and am waiting. From reading online I am panicking. WTH are they talking about?????

• Jane Akre September 17, 2015 at 6:02 pm - Reply

You are wise to read all of your notes from a medical visit to see if they reflect what you said during the visit. Insist on the notes! Remove mesh mesh there is a mesh eroded into the vagina most likely. (Im not a doc) They will do a partial removal, that is, snip the offending portion. Ive not heard of that working to anyone’s satisfaction.. you might check with a removal doc in your area. an expert in removals, not trimming a mesh erosion. You should have a consult with an experienced doctor in this area. There are several interviews on Mesh News Desk with doctors who do a great deal of these procedures.

11. Tag June 24, 2016 at 7:11 am - Reply

I had the mesh sling surgery in 2007 & am having surgery 8/4/16 to remove it. It has gone through the vaginal wall & can’t be felt during examination. I just read that someone was having hip pain…is the mesh associated with this? Within the last few months I have developed a severe pain in my left side of my buttock area. Should I be concerned about that?

• Jane Akre June 24, 2016 at 7:43 am - Reply

There are many people who experience pain in the hip that shoots down the leg.The pelvic region is rich with nerves, ligaments, muscles and is a dangerous area to do surgery. You should probably consult with an expert… someone who deals with and recognizes mesh related complications.

• Tag June 24, 2016 at 8:12 am - Reply

My doctor is a uro-gynecologist in the Austin area & is supposed to be great in this field! Of course, I’m scared to death to have this done! But…I’m scared not to with all the problems I’ve had!

• Jane Akre June 24, 2016 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Could you share the name of your doctor? Others may have had an experience with him or her. I’d be curious who it is as well….if you don’t want it public, I won’t tell. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Barbara W October 24, 2016 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Have you had the mesh surgery?

12. Michelle H July 19, 2016 at 10:21 am - Reply

I am currently in the process of seeking a Doctor in the Chicago area willing to do a full removal. I have the TVT tape from 2009, and while I have had some pain and complications, the most recent are inability for intercourse without massive and long term pain and bleeding. Last time I checked, bleeding was a sign that there is something BROKEN….although no one seems to want to admit that. I have had 2 Urodynamic bladder tests with two opposite conclusions. I have been told I have and DO NOT have pelvic floor dysfunction. I have been told to use vaginal Valium suppositories, to allow for vaginal Trigger point or Pudendal block injections, and even exploratory surgery, where I have been assured that in no way shape or form, will the Doctor even attempt, or have the ability to remove all of the mesh. While I am infuriated by the idea of my sex life literally being murdered, I am not so uneducated as to let anyone perform any other invasive procedure on my body unless I am literally dying. Even the best Doctors are only trying to mask the pain. If I wanted to do that I’d buy a bottle of vodka…….much cheaper.

• Jane Akre July 19, 2016 at 10:28 am - Reply

So sorry you are going through this. Chicago, there is Bruce Rosenzweig who is an expert in many trials. He is at Rush University. Or you may want to travel outside of your area…… you do not want too many surgeries since they are all potentially dangerous in a delicate area of the body, not to mention multiple anesthesia. (I’m not a doctor or a lawyer) Please write me and I will give a list of docs who might help. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

• Michelle H. July 19, 2016 at 2:58 pm - Reply

I have seen him. I actually had hope until I saw him. He and his office are running me through all the same crap, every other Doctor has done to every other woman. Let me just say, if I EVER find an honest Doctor, who really does care (Other than the Dr. Raz I have read about at UCLA) everyone will know. Thanks anyway.

• Susan January 31, 2017 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Call Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis. You will not be disappointed.

13. Bonnie July 23, 2016 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Dr twiss on Tucson Arizona

14. Lori July 28, 2016 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Dr. Emily Webber at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida does full removal of mesh

• BARBARA December 27, 2016 at 2:50 am - Reply

Emily webber put a bladder sling in me at shands in fl and she put it in so tight I am on a cath cause I cant urinatev anymore ……..am trying to find a dr to remove sling. SHE REFUSED

• Jane Akre December 27, 2016 at 6:43 am - Reply

Barbara- Dr. Christopher Walker is in Florida and a mesh removal expert…. he might be able to help… Orlando

15. Brenda August 8, 2016 at 4:42 pm - Reply

I’m due to have mesh removal Aug. 18th Dr. said they would remove as much as they safely could without causing more damage. Dr. is in Augusta Ga area.
    How many experts sre there in Augusta Georgia?

• Jane Akre August 11, 2016 at 4:37 pm - Reply

I’ve not heard of any but that doesnt mean they don’t exist. Anyone know from Augusta?

Hi Angel…. I wish there were as many docs dealing with complications as there were putting in mesh. Here is a partial list from folks who have had good outcomes. It is NOT a guarantee this doctor will work for you however. I have no financial relationship with any of these docs!

Dr. Charles Butrick in Overland Park, KS.
      Dr. Michael Hibner in Phoenix. (602) 406-6017. Dignity Health
      Dr. Raz, Urology Department, UCLA. 310-794-7700
      Dr. Lennox Hoyt, Tampa, 2 Tampa General Circle, 4th Floor Tampa, FL 33606 (813) 259 – 8500
      Dr. Christopher Walker in Orlando, private practice, UroGyn Specialists 407-648-9400
      Miklos and Moore in Atlanta, 770-475-4499,
      Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis – dveronikis@stlgynsurgery.com (He works with Sara Wood MD, also doing pelvic mesh surgeries)
      Dr. Phillippe Zimmern in Dallas. U Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Professor Urology, 214-645-8765, 214-648-4765
      Daniel Elliott, Urology at Mayo Clinic, MN 800-446-2279, referring a pt 800-533-1564
      Dr. Ali Azadi in Louisville, Norton Healthcare, U of Louisville School of Medicine, Ob-Gyn, 502-409-5600
      Dr. M. Tom Margolis in SF Bay area, private practice, Bay Area Pelvic Surgery, 650-228-4052
      Dr. Bruce Rosenzweig, Rush University, Chicago, Ob-gyn, 888-352-RUSH (7874)
      Dr. Jerry Blaivas, New York City Urology, 212-772-3900
      Dr C. Y. Liu, gynecologic endoscopic surgery, private practice, NYC 212-988-1444
      Dr. Robert Furr, Women’s Surgery Center, Chattanooga, TN 866-899-0679.
      Dr Una Lee, Virginia Mason Clinics in Seattle, 206-341-0560
      Dr. Greg Vigna, 318-548-2649, pudendal neuralgia damage
      Dr. Christian Twiss, Tucson, U of Arizona
      Dr. Jeffrey Snow, Pembroke Pines, colorectal surgery and hernia mesh http://www.jeffreysnowmd.com/ 954-450-1617
      Dr. Francisco Orejuela, Baylor Hospital, Houston, Tx

Docs I’ve heard reports on:
      Dr. Robert L. Summit, urogyn, Memphis
      Dr. Val Vogt, Memphis
      Dr. Bob Shull, a urogyn from Temple, Texas.
      Antonio Pizarro. Shreveport, LA 318-221-0021. http://www.pizarromd.com/ Excellent doc says TJ
      Dr. David Ellington, U Alabama says DJ, http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-david-ellington-gcjpc
      Dr. Colleen Fitzgerald, Maywood, Chicago says DJ, physical rehab and MD http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Colleen_Fitzgerald.html
      BM says anyone in Oregon and Washington I would highly recommend Dr.Susan Hobson and Orthpedics Dr Freeze they were amazing and very gentle with my body

• Michelle H. August 11, 2016 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Hi.
        My sister went to Georgia Incontinence & Pelvic Health, Dr Michael Hulse. (706) 276-6374.
        He found her bladder hanging half out of the sling after years of suffering and run arounds. He did a removal and she was home in 2 days.

I saw Dr. Rosenzweig at Rush, Chicago, whom as a last resort, suggested “exploratory surgery.” I have not decided that “exploring” my insides is what I want.

I will be seeing Dr. Kimberly Kenton at Northwestern in Chicago next week. I will say that her colleague, Dr. Sarah Collins, is one of the most unempathetic people I have ever met. I am not very emotional and cannot remember the last time I was offended, but she had me in tears with how uncaring she was. She walked out on me after ignoring every fact I presented to her.

I wish everyone luck…seems that’s all we have here.

• Michelle H. August 13, 2016 at 3:14 pm - Reply

UPDATE:: So after my literal breakdown in the office, I got a call from Northwestern, Dr. Kenton’s office, on Friday, telling me she had to cancel my appt on TUESDAY for emergency surgery………emergency 5 days from now?
          AND after expressing in every way but on my hands and knees, the pain I have been in and the loss of quality of life both physically and emotionally, was informed I couldn’t be seen for another month.
          NOW IT’S ON!
          My daughter just got a job with the Arizona health department, and WE WILL find answers! Any info found will immediately be shared publicly.
          Wish us luck!!!

• Judy September 20, 2016 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Do you know of anyone who has had full mesh removal by Dr. Francisco Orejuela and what their experience was like with this doctor. I have contacted Dr. Veronikis is St. Louis but he has a pretty long waiting list since he’s one of the best in the U.S. besides Dr. Raz.
        So, I’m trying to decide if I should go to Dr. Francisco Orejuela instead of waiting for Dr. Veronikis.

• Barbara October 24, 2016 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Do you have Dr. Veronikis contact info?

16. wanda t August 11, 2016 at 3:20 pm - Reply

I had a mini arc sling installed in 2011. For the past year I have not been able to empty my bladder and have had numerous infections. I went to a local urologist who cut my mesh in the center thinking it would help…it did not. She went in again thinking she had missed something. She scoped me twice …couldn’t see anything. She said she guaranteed there was nothing there. I knew differently. I finally remembered a really good urologist I had known from years ago in a town 100 miles away. He was very upset with the other doctor. He scoped me again and found mesh that had eroded through my uretha into my bladder neck. I have an appointment with a university in ky. I’m very apprehensive about her. I am taking all these questions with me Monday plus more. I have also contacts a doctor in St Louis. ..I’m thinking he may be the one to do it. I really don’t have a lot of time to get this fixed. I’m cautiously optimistic. If there is any advice anyone can give me I would be grateful.

• Jane Akre August 11, 2016 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Dr Ali Azadi at U of Louisville and Dr. D. Veronikis in St. Louis. A doctor says there is nothing there and another found eroding mesh. Why not stay with that second doc? You know when there is a problem despite what you are told.

• Michelle September 28, 2016 at 7:20 am - Reply

I saw Dr. Gandhi in Park City, Illinois. He said that my bladder is falling out of the sling. He also said that there is no way to fully remove the mesh. I have TVT tape. He said he would remove a good portion of the sling, the part that seems to be eroding into my bladder, but cannot yet be seen without surgery. But that this specific type was meant to be permanent, which I knew, and therefore can never be fully removed. I was hopeful, until he brought up financial coverage and lawyers. What he didn’t say was that he would connect me, through his office manager, with an attorney that could help with payment since my insurance would not cover the surgery. But the kicker is, he didn’t submit any CPT codes, or any supporting documents regarding my specific case to find out whether or not the surgery would be covered. This is all a huge racket, making men rich off of the suffering of women. What can we do? What can all of us, collectively, do?

• Jane Akre September 28, 2016 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Can you get a second opinion?

• Barbara W October 24, 2016 at 7:20 pm - Reply

Have you had your surgery snd what was the outcome? I had a TVT urethak mesh implant in 2014 and have begun to have problems and don’t know who to turn to…Barbara

17. E August 20, 2016 at 7:09 am - Reply

I know this is an older blog but I hope someone will comment. I just had mesh removal last week Wednesday. The dr really had to dig to get the mesh out. I just had my follow up yesterday and he said everything looked good even though I’m still bleeding from time to time. Has anyone gone through removal? Can you tell me how long you bled for? Sometimes it’s just a little but this morning was quite a bit with a clot. I’ve called my dr and I’m waiting for a call back but I would like some of your advise because you’ve gone through it.

18. jodi August 29, 2016 at 5:43 am - Reply

I just had a hysterectomy and the sling surgery 2 months ago. I could feel what I thought was stitches from the second week post op. My doctor felt it at my 4 week appointment and also thought it was still stitches. At 8 weeks I called because nothing had changed. He told me it was not stitches after all it is the sling through the pelvic wall and I need to have that area of the sling trimmed off and then he will stitch me back up. I’ve read so much this weekend that scares me to death about that. After reading all this I’m thinking removing it completely would be the thing to do. I’m hoping it won’t be as bad since it hasn’t been in that long. Can my doctor actually do this surgery? He did say if trimming it up didn’t make it heal correctly we would have to look at removal anyway.

• Michelle September 28, 2016 at 5:52 am - Reply

Every Doctor I spoke with insists that my mesh can not be removed completely, period. I have the TVT tape. I haven’t gone through any surgeries yet, precisely because I am trying to be as sure as humanly possibly of the doctor who does it, but I am in so much pain I have stopped working this week. This is a nightmare. You have make sure you research your mesh, and call everyone! Ask tons of questions! Don’t let people keep cutting you. What they don’t tell you is that every single surgery, no matter how good the technique, or how minimally invasive it is, you will be left with scar tissue, and scar tissue causes lifelong pain.

• Jane Akre September 28, 2016 at 6:53 am - Reply

Michelle- I’m so sorry. There are doctors out there who are having more success at a full removal. Dr. Una Lee is you are in Seattle is one. Dr. Raz at ucla is another…. where are you located? Please contact me with that and anyone else who has a doctor they can recommend please do so here.

• Michelle September 28, 2016 at 8:08 am - Reply

What would help, is to know from women who have had full removals, exactly what mesh they had, and how they know they had full removals. And I mentioned earlier that my sister had removal, she was told it was full removal, only to find AFTER surgery, that it in fact was NOT.

19. LJ September 3, 2016 at 5:20 pm - Reply

What is the length in cm of the mesh that is used for urinary incontinence?

20. Michelle September 27, 2016 at 8:51 am - Reply

So, I am seeing yet another Doctor next week. I have seen “one of the best” who said he could only truly diagnose if he does “exploratory” surgery. I didn’t feel very comfortable with that. I am at the point now where I can no longer be on my feet for more than 10 minutes at a time due to ungodly pain. I was also informed by my attorney that he is ready to drop my case because “I AM NOT DAMAGED ENOUGH.” Because I haven’t had several surgeries. Because I don’t just let anyone cut into me. And because I haven’t, my pain and suffering has become more than I can bear. But to the point, because I haven’t let myself be more of a guinea pig, I am faced with dealing the repercussions of this damage for the rest of my life while my attorney says to me, “don’t think just because you won’t be acknowledged in a settlement they aren’t paying. They are. And look at the bright side, you will be able to inform other women and warn them about what happened to you.”
    ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?

• Jane Akre September 27, 2016 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Your lawyer is a real gem…..is love to know his name.

• Michelle September 28, 2016 at 5:53 am - Reply

Meyers and Flowers. I have no problem calling people out. None.

21. Michelle October 7, 2016 at 1:14 am - Reply

POSITIVE UPDATE:::
    Ok Ladies, so I just saw Dr. William Kobak at University of Illinois at Chicago, and I am more optimistic than ever before.
    Dr. Kobak listened to everything I had to say. He was very calm, attentive, and ensured me I wasn’t crazy. He validated all of my feelings about my situation, and truly made me feel like I did indeed know more about what was happening to me than anyone else.
    He assured me that what I was going through was not at all exaggerated, and told me he did not understand why other physicians were so afraid of treating these cases. He said that I should’ve had the mesh removed a long time ago, and the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to remove. But that he had done many removals, not always complete due to the nature of the implant, but assured me that I would feel much better once it was done.
    He didn’t put time restrictions on healing, saying very body is different and to listen to your body.
    His overall demeanor, and bed side manner was probably the most comforting of all the people I have seen thus far.
    My surgery is scheduled for October 27th, and I will keep everyone updated as I progress. I am so grateful for the feeling of hope I now have. It really paid to take my time and see several doctors and gather up as much info as I could before proceeding with treatment.

• Barbara W October 24, 2016 at 7:23 pm - Reply

How long did it take u to get an apt.?

• Debora W January 3, 2017 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Can you give us an update? How did the surgery go? I’m in Chicago looking for a good MD! Thanks.

• Dianne January 7, 2017 at 9:04 pm - Reply

I am wondering if your surgery was successful? I am looking into discussing with my URO and getting a second opinion, preferably by one that does removals. I am tired of being in pain. Always! Weight gain, can’t sit, walk, have sex just unbearable all the time.

22. James Ranall October 9, 2016 at 3:26 pm - Reply

I’m seeking a doctor / surgeon that can do mesh removal / explantation in the State of Washington. Any leads on this are appreciated. I had mesh implanted in 2002 and its been very problematic for me. Thanks!

• Jane Akre October 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm - Reply

I’m sorry I dont know of anyone in Washington State. Kevin Petersen in Las Vegas would be the closest. Ask Bruce Rosenberg, patient advocate 954-701-5094.

23. julie am October 9, 2016 at 8:05 pm - Reply

I am seeking a surgeon who can do mesh removal in Ohio. I live in Columbus, Ohio so any reccomendations would be appreciated. I too am having problems.

24. Barbara W October 24, 2016 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I wonder if thete is anyone in cincinnati?

25. pj November 6, 2016 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Okay I had a hysterectomy, bladder sling, cystocele and rectocele all repaired at one time over ten years ago. Then almost 6 yrs ago I had to have another bladder sling done. I have signed up with a lawyer group. But after my first sling plus I began having pain in my body and was diagnoised with Fibromyalgia plus nueropathy. But the name of the mesh for the first sling is not in my records anymore. So lawyer states we can only go by my second sling in which she was able to obtain the name of the manufacturer. Six months following my second sling I began having abdominal pain that doubles me over and nausea and vomiting. I also began experiencing pain during intercourse. I also have breakthrough bleeding. I asked several time, my GP, is there a way to check and see if this is related to the mesh. He kept ignoring me. Now I experience flank pain in my back and just recently began to only pee drops one day and the next normally combined with pinkish bleeding. I recently moved to a new state and am trying to get my medicaid so I don’t have a doctor yet. Has anyone had similiar symptoms. I have read about revisions and it scares me. My lawyer states I can get more by having a revision but that I don’t care about. I lost my husband due to my inability to perform my wifely duties and my crying and being curled up in a fetal position often in pain abdomenally. At this point intercourse is not a factor to me. It’s the abdominal pain and getting someone to listen to me and at least do some kind of test to see if all this could be from the sling and cystocele and rectocele repair where the mesh was used. How did you get the doctor to listen to you to do testing. I am curious so I know what to say when I go to a doctor in this state for the first time. And has anyone had simialar pains and such as mine that have been deemed from the mesh. Thank you.

• Jet January 2, 2018 at 12:04 am - Reply

I have had more or less the same issues. I have nothing other than mesh erosion to account for them.

26. Rashel March 14, 2017 at 8:26 am - Reply

Are there any really good mesh removal Dr’s in Texas, preferably the DFW area?

27. jodi May 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm - Reply

any doctors in the oregon area successful at removing bladder slings? i need one. had one implanted in 2011, now having strange symptoms. Painful UTI symptoms but no actual UTI when tested. now i am having UTI symptoms with bleeding. also have muscle tremors that have recently started. see a neurologist next month. i am starting to think that my muscle tremors are a result of the sling. i am starting to think all of my recent problems that are occurring are from the sling and my body not liking it. i also have had lung issues where i tested at a 52% lung capacity. i have never smoked a day in my life, nor am i around second hand smoke. i need this out of me now. i need a doctor who can do this for me and know what they are doing.

thanks for any help.
    jodi

• Jane Akre May 8, 2017 at 2:18 pm - Reply

A wonderful doctor is Dr. Una Lee in Seattle at Virginia Mason. She would be worth the trip!

28. Lori May 9, 2017 at 1:18 am - Reply

Anyone know a surgeon in the Jacksonville, FL area that will remove transvaginal mesh.

29. Shirley June 25, 2017 at 8:11 am - Reply

Do you know anything about Dr Charles Hanes 11 in Mobile AL? Have scheduled appt in July. Any recommended in New Orleans area? I live midway between the two in MS.
    Thanks,
    Shirley

• Jane Akre June 25, 2017 at 9:04 am - Reply

Sorry I’ve never heard of him. Anybody? Do you have hernia or transvag mesh?

• Shirley June 25, 2017 at 11:02 am - Reply

trsv mesh

• Shirley June 25, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Transvaginal mesh

30. Pam August 27, 2017 at 10:16 pm - Reply

For those whom have had the bladder sling removed, did you find a big difference. I.e, not going to the bathroom as much? Did you still have normal incontience? Did you have any complications?

31. SATTIE P October 8, 2017 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Had a TVT in 2005 after 2 years stated to get complication, everytime I visit my Doctor will tell him but they ignore me.
    Don’t know what to do, in New york.
    Thanks
    Any help

• Jane Akre October 9, 2017 at 10:03 am - Reply

I you need a doctor referral we have some. You should seek out a specialist who has dealt with mesh complications, not someone who “might be able to get it out…” many people report a partial removal makes things worse. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

32. Sheri C November 8, 2017 at 4:27 pm - Reply

I am having mesh pain and trouble have had so called stitches removed several years ago I am seeing a urologist named Russell Banstra I believe he is very good I live in rural Iowa he has me using vaginal estrogen to try to get my tissue in better shape he says there is a lot of scaring I can feel the mesh and I bleed it is so painful I just want to be normal again

• Jane Akre November 8, 2017 at 9:55 pm - Reply

Sheri, let us know if you need another doctor referral…. this doctor may be very good, I hope so for your sake. Let us know what he suggests.

33. Jet January 1, 2018 at 11:47 pm - Reply

I had surgery for POP in 2009. I did not know that my doctor used mesh until March 2017. I was having various problems off and on for a few years, but I take care of my parents and thought it was stress related. That was until I began to have pain that made me double over, then discharge sometimes blood, etc. When I got to a obgyn she asked me if the doctor who had done the surgery had used mesh, and I said No. ( because my doctor told me not to worry that he wasn’t going to use the mesh because of the complications and problems) I believed him and look where I am now. Erosion in 3 places. The doctor used 3 different kits. I tried hormone cream to help close up the erosion but it did not work. So the earliest I can see the ONE doctor in town that is qualified to handle TVM issue is Feb 2018. I am having much more pain, feel awful all the time, Im tired and fight UTI’s constantly. Im stressed out, trying to take care of my 86 year old parents, whom I have told that I even have problems because they would worry and try to keep me from helping them. I don’t know if I can wait another 2 months. I have to have my sister come here while I have any kind of surgery, then my sister in law since they both live out of state and cant stay for any significant time. I take my parents to all their doctor appointments
    I do all the grocery shopping, house cleaning and alot of cooking for them. In addition I help take care of their 4 dogs. I make sure all their bills get paid, that their prescriptions are refilled when needed, and pick up those prescriptions. All the while I am trying to take care of myself, my house, my husband and have some form of normal life to enjoy. Im tired, Im depressed, Im angry and I want to hold my old lying doctor responsible for his negligent actions so he won’t keep doing it to other women where he is currently working, in Florida. Beware of a women’s clinic in Boca Raton! He doesn’t live in Texas anymore!
    I am going to see if I can get an appointment with a specialist in Dallas, Austin or Houston. Wish me luck ladies, its not going to be pretty!

• Jane Akre January 2, 2018 at 12:11 pm - Reply

Dr Phillippe Zimmern in Texas understands the issues…. also Dr. Patel I find it difficult to believe he put three kits in your after saying no mesh. Does he know this is mesh!!!!

34. Rachel March 24, 2018 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Can anyone recommend a doctor close to Dayton, Ohio. I can’t afford to fly to California. I have been to two doctors and neither gained my confidence. My mesh is eroding and causing severe pain and urinary issues. I have lyme, ebv, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, mycoplasma and a host of other health and mental issues. No treatments on the above have worked and I am almost positive it is because of the mesh. I have caresource (aca extended medicaid) and my medicare for ssdi will start in July. Neither doctor will do further testing or surgery until the medicare kicks in. I paid over $1100 out of pocket to see the two doctors. The vaginal pain helped end my 7 year relationship because sex was too painful. My mesh was put in in 2003, I have to wonder now if it is the source of some of my problems.

• Jane Akre March 24, 2018 at 11:17 pm - Reply

Rachel- You must find the best you can to do the least harm with the fewest surgeries! You do not want someone experimenting on you. They must be experienced at mesh complications….. here are some names, but none are in Ohio.

Dr. Charles Butrick in Overland Park, KS.
      Dr. Michael Hibner in Phoenix. (602) 406-6017. Dignity Health
      Dr. Raz, Urology Department, UCLA. 310-794-7700

Dr. Una Lee, 206-341-0560. Seattle, WA, Virginia Mason
      Una Lee, Virginia Mason, work: +1 206-577-9921

Miklos and Moore in Atlanta, 770-475-4499,

Dr. Rakesh Patel- Orlando

Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis – 314-251-6753. dveronikis@stlgynsurgery.com (He works with Sara Wood MD, also doing pelvic mesh surgeries)

Dr. Michael Hibner in Phoenix. (602) 406-6017. Dignity Health

***Dr. Raz, Urology Department, UCLA. 310-794-7700

Dr. Christopher Walker in Orlando, private practice, UroGyn Specialists, 407-648-9400

Dr. Bruce Rosenzweig, Rush University, Chicago, Ob-gyn, 888-352-RUSH (7874)

Dr. Jerry Blaivas, New York City Urology, 212-772-3900

Dr. Robert Furr, Women’s Surgery Center, Chattanooga, TN. 866-899-0679.

Dr Una Lee, Virginia Mason Clinics in Seattle, 206-341-0560

Dr. Greg Vigna, 318-548-2649, pudendal neuralgia damage

Dr. Christian Twiss, Tucson, U of Arizona

Dr. Francisco Orejuela, Baylor Hospital, Houston, Tx
      Docs I’ve heard reports on:
      Dr. Gregerson in Nampa, Id. He now refuses to use mesh. Too many complications after surgery and is now a follower and study of Dr. Raz

Dr. David Ellington, U Alabama 205-934-6507 http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-david-ellington-gcjpc

Dr. Parnell FACOG in Birmingham, AL, Brookwood Med Center, ultrasound.

Kenneth Peters, Urologist, Beaumont Hospital in MI- on interstim and implanting into the S2-S4 and the pudendal nerve pain improved. https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-kenneth-peters-2xhbg

Dr. Robert L. Summit, urogyn, Memphis
      Dr. Val Vogt, Memphis
      Dr. Bob Shull, a urogyn from Temple, Texas.
      Antonio Pizarro. Shreveport, LA 318-221-0021. http://www.pizarromd.com/
      Dr. Speights of Jackson Mississippi.
      Dr. Sara Diaz of Richmond, Indiana

• nikol prieto July 13, 2018 at 11:08 am - Reply

Hi. Do you know if Dr. Sara Diaz in Richmond, IN is doing full removal of mesh. I live in Indianapolis and can’t find anyone who will help me. Do you know of anyone in Indy?

• Betty Francis July 2, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

Michelle,would you mind telling me who did your sling. I had mine June 8,2018 and it has basically paralyzed me. I am wheelchair bound.you can private messenger me

35. Liv April 22, 2018 at 11:22 am - Reply

Any one have recommendations for mesh removal in Dubai

• Jane Akre April 22, 2018 at 11:45 am - Reply

I believe miklos and Moore have an office in Dubai. They are based in Georgia.

36. julie t May 5, 2018 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for all of your comments. Does anyone on here have internal burning in the vagina, stomach, chest, esophagus and back? I am wondering if this happens if there is an allergic reaction??? I am so mad at myself. The ONLY reason I got this surgery is because I work out hard and noticed my bladder prolapse with high intensity training. I went to a urologist here in AZ and told Dr. Mohammed Akl that I didn’t want any mesh or sling because of all the things that I heard about it. He said there are no side effects to the new mesh that is now on the market, that the negative things I am hearing is about the old mesh. I listened to him because he seemed so sincere. I had the surgery Sept, 2017. I now have a bulge and burning in my vagina 24/7 and I get tired walking and it is uncomfortable to walk. This is horrific. I paid the office for my paperwork and it says that patient was informed of all side effects. He had a report with a list of them. He said I agreed after hearing all side effects and wanted to proceed with the surgery. What??? My husband was with me and we both know he is only trying to protect himself. NOTHING was said to either of us. I am horrified that he lied. He also reported that patient was very happy with her surgery and had no complaints. At the 6 week appointment I told him I felt a rock and had to sit sideways.

• Jane Akre May 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Julie- I’m so sorry to hear how you have been treated. Do me a favor and if you don’t have your medical records- get them!!! September 2017 in Arizona…. I am fairly certain that you were implanted with a polypropylene mesh. If you were, your doctor had no basis to say it was a “new mesh” and the are “no side effects”. In other words, the doctor may have lied to you. That could be considered medical malpractice, though I don’t know how restrictive the laws are in Arizona…. Please get back so we can learn what type of mesh you were implanted with. I will also write you privately.

37. MCB May 6, 2018 at 10:18 am - Reply

Does anyone know of a doctor in Orlando or Tampa that will do full mesh removal?

• Jane Akre May 6, 2018 at 10:31 am - Reply

Yes, there is Christopher Walker in Orlando, UroGyn Specialists, 407-648-9400, Lennox Hoyt in Tampa and Rakesh Patel in Orlando. I’ve heard good reports on all. No doctor can promise you he can remove 100%… just FYI.

38. MCB May 6, 2018 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Thank you. Walker doesn’t have good reviews. I have met him and not really impressed. Will look into Patel.

Some of the comments above say they have had complete removal. I have had partial several times and have similar problems to everyone else.

• Jane Akre May 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm - Reply

A complete removal is very difficult. Some docs say they did a complete removal, only to find there is more mesh later. It is not an easy thing to do and the arms are always a challenge.

39. Suzette May 7, 2018 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Does anyone know a good Dr. in Charleston, SC or Durham NC?
    I’ve had the mesh and I feel the pressure and I have a gut feeling it’s all fell.

• Jane Akre May 7, 2018 at 10:51 pm - Reply

While there are several doctors in those areas, I do not have any particular recommendations I could tell you with confidence. I would ask a doctor if they believe that mesh can cause pain and complications. If they say no, run don’t walk out of their office. Also ask them if they offer non mesh repairs to their patients. If they don’t, again, that is probably not the doctor with a wide range of skills. Anyone with suggestions, please weigh in here.

40. Athena July 20, 2018 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Hi,
    DO you know any good doctors who do hernia repair with NO mesh for men? Preferably the Desarda technique. We are looking to stay as close to Austin, Tx as possible! Thank you so much for all the great helpful info you provide!!

• Jane Akre July 22, 2018 at 11:45 am - Reply

It may not be close and convenient for you to get the no-mesh repair. Here is one doctor but I know nothing about him. He seems to favor pig or cow dermis, but those have high infection rates. And I would ask, better than that, check to see if he is in conflict with the manufacturer. Go to Dollars for Doctors the ProPublica database. Working for industry may be a factor for you, but it may not be. I would travel to Toronto and get a no mesh repair at Shouldice if it was me. Cheaper than a US repair. Certainly cheaper than having complications and the doctor firing you as a patient, then you have to frantically try and find someone else….. THAT happens every day!

If you do go with a doctor near you and you feel strongly about NOT USING MESH! Write it up in no uncertain terms. Have HIM or HER sign it! It then is actionable. Also have someone representing your intnerests standing by so he/she can talk to the doctor when you are under! Just some suggestions. I’m not a doctor or lawyer.

41. Linda July 29, 2018 at 5:47 am - Reply

Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis? The comments here seem to be more related to pre-mesh removal. It would be very helpful to have a dedicated blog for mesh and post-mesh results…including long-term results.

42. Pat August 26, 2018 at 10:50 am - Reply

I had a synthetic retropubic midurethral sling by Boston Scientific Serial Number 20787408 implanted August 9, 2017…many questions were asked prior to the implant being placed. I said no to it with the first surgery I had in June of 2017, when I had my my first surgery for a hysterectomy because of Pelvic Organ Prolapse…we decided if post surgery I had extreme leaking of urine afterwards, I could at that time go pack into outpatient and have the sling put in at that time. Informed it was a simple procedure and risks very low of complications. Even though they understood I did a lot of research and was extremely skeptical, I thought I was making an informed decision go ahead with the procedure on August 9, 2017.

Subsequently, I found out they had taken the Mesh off the shelf at the hospital last January. I researched my product number, and right now it shows it has not been recalled. I’ve had several UTIs along with some urinary retention…the doctor feels is not related to the mesh. After doing more research, I would like to have it removed before a problem arises. Can anyone give me the name of a surgeon in the Chicago area that I could trust?

I opted out of the transvaginal mesh for the vaginal vault after my hysterectomy…they used my own tissue for the repair…I have also had a rectocele repair years ago in which my own tissue was used again…this was back in 2007. I have had no problems with this issue since.

• Jane Akre August 26, 2018 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Pat- Don’t rely on recalls. To date, most troubling mesh has been voluntarily removed by the manufacturer, that way they can put it back on the market. at a later time. Which mesh did they give you? Which did they take off of the shelf? I”m sorry you did all of your research and didn’t determine that complication rates could be as high as 30% of patients, have some symptoms, some extremely difficult. Please order d-Mannose from Superior Labs for your UTI’s. Put in code and MND get a buck or two. Chicago, is Bruce Rosenzweig at Rush University and you might try nearby Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis. Dr. Bruce Rosenzweig, Rush University, Chicago, Ob-gyn, 888-352-RUSH (7874)….. There may be more but Veronikis I’ve heard good reports on Rosenzweig is an expert at many trials… I’ve not heard reports on whether he removes. Certainly he can diagnose. I’m so sorry you tried but your doctor let you down on “informed consent” it sounds like. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

Superior labs d-mannose on Amazon, but in this code for a discount!

Save 15% ($3.44) on Amazon.com
      On checkout enter discount code SUP0DMAN (all caps plus zero)

43. Intira August 29, 2018 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I would appreciate any feedback between Dr. William Kobak and Dr. Veronikis on complete TVT sling removal. I had my TVT surgery in 2011 Dr. made it too tight 1 year of pain and suffering he went in and release it. Now I got diagnosed with rheumatoid and abnormal thyroid antibodies basically I am on the verge of either Hashimoto’s or Grave’s disease so I want this thing out of me before it would turn into multiple autoimmune diseases. Please help!

• Jane Akre August 29, 2018 at 3:45 pm - Reply

I will post your comment on Mesh News Desk on Facebook (group) and see if anyone has an idea. I’ve not heard of Dr. Kobak…….