June Welcome to Mesh News Desk

Jane Akre, editor MND

The summer is almost upon us and pelvic mesh trials have been heating up in Philadelphia after a very long lull.

Recently there have been $12.5, $13.5, $20 million and $2.16 million jury awards of compensation and nearly $35 million in punitive damages all leveled against J&J.

After attending a shareholders meeting where “sustainability” was the theme, it is tough to square with  the continuing losses in court.  How tough will healthcare giant J&J play this game of chicken with the plaintiffs’ law firms?

A long time if the media blackout continues.

Meanwhile in Australia, Scotland and the UK, mesh campaigners are making front-page news, and not surprisingly, that is getting the attention of regulators who in Australia will conduct a Senate inquiry this summer to try and determine how many women are injured by mesh in Australia.  There is currently no surgeon in AU who can do a complete mesh removal according to campaigners.

MND has been reporting on the issues for five years and longer on this site. It remains  the only website dedicated to following this mesh litigation and the latest medical news, media reports and insider reports as well.

Clock on the headline “Legal” or  “Medical” to find a list of stories filed under that topic. If you comment please do so anonymously or at the very least do not use your last name. Use the Search Bar to research your topic.

The news stories here do not substitute for legal or medical advice. This is not a legal referral service but news and information site supported by advertising.

No harmful comments are allowed – no disparaging one another or in-fighting. Thank you.

There are 990 pages of content here.  YOUR ESSAYS are welcome!  Please consider writing. Please consider advertising.

Hernia mesh, transvaginal mesh, pelvic mesh – it’s all made of polypropylene.  Women today are told all sorts of things about mesh, that “it’s not the same mesh” for example.  Here are some other things women are told.

If you are told you need polypropylene mesh to correct prolapse or incontinence, you will need to direct your own medical care and be a truly informed consumer. Ask if the doctor can do a non-mesh repair as a first line of treatment.  Stay well.

Your Editor,

Jane Akre

1. Dear Jane could you please tell me where in Scotland/England they are discussing and any action committee’s I can get in touch with, about my TVT operation and further corrective surgery. an email address would be most helpful, yours sincerely Theresa Stockland, London . England.

2. Kathy W says:

The words “Thank you” are so insufficient to describe how grateful we are to you!!!!

3. Sam K says:

Hello Jane,
    True, we barely hear anything on the news Re/ JNJ Ethicon Mesh Mess except that they brag how many Billions they net each Quarter.
    Could you please explain why the media is silent and who is behind it?
    Is it JNJ or a Lobby group that represent all medical manufacturers.
    Thanks

So funny you ask Sam. I wish I knew. Truly Part of it has to be the advertising revenue that could threaten anyone who does story on J&J say. Media is hurting these days and that is just a reality. Something else though. I recently pitched a book on mesh to an editor. her knee jerk reaction was no one is interested in mesh! I thought wow. Maybe my pitch wasn’t good enough because this is about so much more than a medical device. It’s about human exploitation for gain and the systemic denial of human suffering . I believe it is a huge topic! Not to mention a generation of women shot down in the prime of life. I will have to hone my pitch I guess. Thanks for asking.

• Advocate says:

Jane, maybe the pitch should be more along the lines of this AAJ paper, prepared on May 22 of this year. It has a much broader, and unfortunately more sad, expose on medicine and the FDA. Just copy and paste this to your browser, or you can go to the American Association for Justice website.

Thank you. This is a history of all of the devices and drugs marketed to women over the last hundred years or so, to their detriment. Women are targeted for marketing because we buy products and seek out medical care more than our male counterparts and Big Pharma knows that. Why then when it comes to paying for a mistake does Big Pharma refuse to apologize to its consumers or try and make them whole??

• Bejah Blue says:

Apology is not a word or a concept that is in the vocabulary of most corporations that produce such products/devices methinks.

• Bejah Butterton says:

Hi Jane, I agree with others who suggest a different doorway, a “broader approach”. Also, consider all of the great books and films that were initially rejected. Take care that those you approach are not “owned” by the adversary.

I want to take this opportunity to greet everyone as I have been absent for awhile. So good to be back.

I have two things to share.

1. This horrific journey of dental work is about over now and my dentist will watch me closely from now on. It is interesting that Delta used to authorize wellness visits four time a year then dropped that to three a few years ago. This is what I had to cope with: Five cavities, three root canals, I lost one tooth as I waited too long and now will need a bridge, and a deep cleaning. Delta paid $600 for each of the root canals to date. We need better dental coverage! So until I can get the bridge I am a toothless old hag!

I went to Urologist because my pain level is increasing. He is ordering some sort of injection. They will call me to schedule.

I now seem to have Bursitis in both hips (If that is what it is) so I may have to begin hanging from the ceiling in a net to sleep.

My brain fog seems more prevalent and my memory seems less prevalent. Maybe not remembering will prove to be a blessing.

I have recovered from another period when I considered suicide.

2. Back to dental issues. Many of you may know more about this than I do. I asked my dentist what the connection is between dental damage and pelvic mesh. He said it is a bacteria that is from the “mother staph bacteria. I am still not sure about how this connection works. Perhaps some in our community cam help. I do not see any labeling warning of dental damage with the use of prescription medications and if that is the source of the bacterial infection in the mouth we should be warned in writing. Is legislation needed? Would drug manufacturers want to prevent that due to the probably impact on sales?

I have a UTI now, just diagnosed and I am taking 500MG antibiotic 2xday so a little out of it but wanted to share this with you all.

Finally, suggest considering something called SLOWMAG. My pharmacist takes it. Check it out.

Love to all,

Bejah

So good to have you back Bejah. Can I introduce you to still standing concerning management of pain issues? Dental issues I regularly hear about so it couldn’t be just a good coincidence. A hernia man yesterday had lost most of his teeth…and hes only 36! I’m so sorry you are going through all of this…. at least the dental work is almost over?

• Bejah says:

We need legislation! Always happy to talk to StillStanding who is such a wonderful source of information and advice. I am feeling so tired all the time now it is hard for me to explore this as I want to but I will try. Someone must. Remember Jane, “there are no accidents” ? Time for us to address this. For now all who read this should take care about medications they take, amount, timing, perhaps take with food, who knows. We need to figure this out.

Good Morning!

Just learned I can not take the anti cancer drug while I have a UTI so a reprieve so I can get my bearings. It would be really nice if doctors would tell you beforehand that they are giving you a f****** cancer drug! Maybe in addition to medical school they should go to charm school! Holy Hotcakes!

• Bejah says:

This is why, dear, we must tell everyone we meet everywhere. There have been many times when I began to feel like a looneytune on a soap box but I do not let that stop me. Just keep your facts in order and your commitment true and people will listen and pass the information along. This is, at least, something we can do and at some point the people are going to want to know why this is not in the press. Never give up.

Bejah

Speaking of telling everyone we know – Please listen to the Ralph Nader radio hour and the first half hour is Dr Bendavid on hernia mesh and the second half hour is me talking about TVM. Ralph encourages everyone to contact 60 Minutes and columnist Jane Brody at the New York Times here is the info:

inquiries@janebrody.net. Urge her to do a column on this!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

• Bejah Butterton says:

Excellent advice. I hope everyone that can will turn on and tune in.

• Bejah Butterton says:

I just realized when the tech gave me back my laptop with new HD (He also gave me upgrade to Windows 10 and Microsoft Office (I hope not 10 as I have heard of lots of problems). I am still trying to understand all of this and I seem to be able to but it is taking me time, longer than others I am sure. Bear with me. Not sure why email is problematic for me but I am making progress. Good brain exercise! Right SS? Getting tired now. Nighty-night all. Sweet dreams.

• Bejah Blue says:

Sam, I wonder who is on the JnJ Board of Directors. That might be a good place to start. Also, I wonder who the biggest stockholders are? I’ll bet this will give you some interesting information (except perhaps where there are mutual funds, etc. as shareholders), and can we learn much about those who patrol the halls of Congress on behalf of JnJ, their home state Senator and Congresspeople….could we learn something useful from this research and are you volunteering? 🙂

4. Sea says:

Jane, there seems to be the same type settlements with each company now on a Tier settlement. The more surgeries or more problems and now….money put aside if and when one might have more problems….Do you have any knowledge on this settlement hush hush settlement? Thanks for all you have done for each of us …..we are so blessed and grateful for your updates and dedications to our cause with serious life problems …..With kind regards, Sea

There is an extraordinary injury fund details of which are not shared with me, but there are some option for catastrophic injuries is my understanding. Much of it depends on your law firm and whether they are settling mass numbers of cases or taking care of their clients. There is a big difference in attitudes out there in my opinion.

• Bejah Butterton says:

I would like to revisit something that I do not think we have addressed much and I believe it bears reconsidering and this seemed a good place to interject it.

The structures established/the criteria for compensation to victims does not seem to take into consideration something it should.

When we think of levels of injury, that alone is so subjective, how do you divide such a thing into lines on a spreadsheet and qualification criteria. I thought we were considering these cases (no matter how many) on a case by case basis which seems the only fair method. Time should be secondary to justice.

My concern here though is this: What about women who could not have surgery to remove the hellish mesh? What about women who were told by doctors that such an effort would kill them and so they do not fit into the matrix of how many surgeries one has had post implant in an effort to remove the material. Have we forgotten them, are they being ignored? How many of these victims are there I wonder and yes I am one of them.

Bejah

Your lawyer can still fight for you over other considerations, if they choose to. Your degree of damage, the fact that you can’t undergo anesthesia, preexisting conditions that make surgery impossible, ( I’m not saying this is you), but all of these should be argued on your behalf in my opinion ( non lawyer). There are many reasons women cannot undergo additional revision surgeries not least of all is the cost, and yes, that is immensely unfair.

• Bejah Butterton says:

And there are also women who, like me, were implanted despite the fact that they had an existing pathological condition (malformed kidneys in my case). What do you think the effect is on my kidneys which now must clear toxic medications every hour of every day. Will I die from bladder cancer or from kidney failure and how does my legal team tie that back to the propelene mesh in a courtroom? Bejah

• Bejah Butterton says:

Jane do we (you) track stats like how many of us have developed this or that disease after implant. This could be significant I think. We did a report in conjunction with UCLA on the number of victims who developed auto immune diseases as I recall. Where is that document? I would like to look at it. I would also like to know how many of us developed bladder cancer now that I may have it. Thanks.

Thanks Jane.

OT – The blue is a lovely color on you and I understand good for the camera (which I do not understand). Makes me want to get out my blue things.

THOUGHT: We need a color if we do not have one. I submit, respectfully, the color blue. So on our day every year (We do have a day don’t we?..we can all wear blue). I wonder if we have a star named after us or at least on of us, a star member who has passed. Also I want a page that tells the story of all who we have lot and please include pictures. I can help with this if needed.

Finally, I notice since my return there are so many missing…if people get a settlement are they not allowed to even associate with us any longer? Sad..

• Bejah Butterton says:

Please define “catastrophic injury fund” and remind me (as I grow denser) by whom it was established. Thanks.

B

It’s that second check that can miraculously appear. It has happened. Become the squeaky wheel.

• Still Standing says:

Jane, here is how my attorney explained the injury fund to me. If money that the defendant transferred to the law firm to pay out settlements is left after settlement checks are distributed , those funds become a catastrophically injured fund. It would have the excess money that was transferred for settlement that the plaintiff refused settlement. You have to have taken the settlement offered to get these additional funds. My firm just paid out this fund to those who were in the highest tier of injury. I’m sure other firms have their own way of processing this. It would be interesting to know how other firms have done it.

Thank you.

• Bejah Butterton says:

BTW, What was done with the “UCLA Survey” and why isn’t it called the “UCLA/MMND survey?

Bejah

WE didn’t create it, just so there is no misunderstanding. We were just a venue to get it out there. I will check with UCLA to see if they have come to any conclusions. Thank you!

• Bejah Blue says:

Actually, we co created it, did we not? I would like to see it either posted here or have a direct link to it in addition to whatever else you can learn. Why did they not volunteer information on what they had learned or concluded? Feels like a bad date to me, always has.

• Bejah Butterton says:

Perhaps the thinking is that it would serve these corporations to (1) Take care of the most horrifically damaged quietly from some special fund to help them save face (a**), and (2) corporations often get together behind closed doors to decide how to approach an issue presenting therefore a united front of some kind. Consider the automobile designs which are very similar each year, case in point that super ugly front grill. Why they do this must have to do with pre production costs for basic body lines in the case of cars but the same idea can apply to many areas of business. In “high fashion” they tell us what colors, shoe design, dress length, etc. we will want far ahead so their production costs will be controlled. Feeling like a bunch of sheep? Stop buying. Recycle. Save. Plant a veg. garden. Buy chickens. Stay home Sat. an watch a movie or play a game or massage your troubled tummy! This will get them where it hurts. Don’t let them tell you it i unAmerican not to shop. What they do is unAmerican. Anyway, they days of the era of nations is coming to a close. There will be some varation of one world, one nation in the next 300-400 years.

• Bejah Butterton says:

Sea, We look forward to hearing from you post settlement. Do let us know how you are doing. We understand that there will be things you are not legally allowed to talk about with us but do not let them scare you away from communicating with us. They are highly skilled at that but legally they are not allowed to prohibit you from communicating with us about things not having to do with your settlement or case. We are anxious to know how you all are, if you are happier, feel better, have dreams again of a brighter future, Do not forget us. We need you.

5. Sis says:

Jane, in one of your posts, you mentioned to find out if our case has been closed to click on the DOCS in bold. I have not found this on this site. Can you help, please.

Can you get into the MDL- I’m assuming you are filed there
      Google: SodistrictWV
      Click: on your particular manufacturer
      Click: on top words Numerical List of Cases
      When cases appear put your last name in the Search Bar

Does that help? You will see which are active and which are “settled” which may be news to you!!

• Bejah Butterton says:

Or in theory she could ask her attorney! 🙂

• Bejah Butterton says:

It would be beyond inappropriate for ones case to be dropped or closed, etc. for some reason and then not to receive even the courtesy of a letter about it. Is that what is happening? I think we should list the law firms that are doing this to clients so we know to avoid them in the future for one thing. Secondly, we should report them, file complaints, etc. We should not, in the middle of this greater HELL, forget to address this lesser evil in whatever way we can. Those of us who have received settlements may be able to help with this.

B

6. Hurting says:

I went An check my status on the Mdl and it says my cause is closed!! I have not An do not plan to except the pathetic offer I was given. I don’t understand why my case is showing closed and my lawyers seem to be giving me the run around about me questioning it

Who is your law firm, can you talk to them and what do they say? Did you sign an agreement allowing them to settle your case?

• Bejah says:

I think we would like to know the name of this law firm and the attorney handling her case. I hope something can be done to help her. She should review her copy and take it to a free legal service for review and advice. Have we all carefully reviewed our agreements recently?

B

• Never the same says:

I just checked and mine is closed as well. I also check my contract and no it does not say they can. Of course my case was sold 3 times. I just sent them a raging email, demanding answers, but we all know how far that will go.

I’ve been talking to folks recently who never had a case filed by their law firm that is taking 40%. AND the woman had to get her own medical records. What exactly did they do for 40%?

• Bejah Butterton says:

and you can’t tell us who they are for fear of ending up at the bottom of the ocean chained to your steering wheel?

• Bejah Blue says:

Make a couple of car payments?

• Still Standing says:

Did you refuse your settlement offer? Look at your contract again and see if you gave your attorney the sole power to negotiate your settlement

• Bejah Butterton says:

Did ya check the invisible ink?

• Bejah Butterton says:

Hurting, Please let us know what happens with this and keep fighting.

• Bejah Butterton says:

I think if I read that my brain would catch fire. I hope you are OK.

• Bejah Butterton says:

Far beyond infuriating. Lean on me sister…

• Bejah Blue says:

I wonder how many of these attorneys were paid off by JnJ?

B

7. Still Standing says:

Bejah, it was suggested by a reader here that anyone who has settled should keep their advice to themselves and” get out of dodge.” Not a very inclusive statement to say the least. You see all of us as one, fighting the same demons. Others appear to be somewhat territorial. It doesn’t make sense to me, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, this site does belong to Jane, she just graciously invites us in to her wonderful warm table of information, help, and support.

Indeed!

• Bejah Butterton says:

One can not be territorial with a site that does not belong to them first of all. I learned long ago that those who are territorial tend to do less well in life perhaps because that it not why we are here, and because nothing really belongs to us anyway. So sad.

I will never keep my settlement advice to myself or get out of town. We wear different armor but we fight together and leave those in it for themselves to their fate.

B

8. Never the Same says:

I just sent this to 60 minutes.
    I understand that advertisers prevent network television from doing stories on their misdeeds, but the truth should be told.
    I am requesting you investigate the mistreatment, harm and death of women by BIG PHARMA.
    Johnson and Johnson, Bard, American Medical, Ethicon,(and the list goes on) profit from harming women with there un-tested or falsely tested or labeled medical devices. The FDA is bought by BIG PHARMA and the consequences are women are dying and maimed. I personally have been harmed by mesh that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I have had a great deal removed but much has eroded into my organs. Please contact Jane Akre at Medical Mesh News Desk, Ralph Nader for complete information. Women around the world are unwilling guinea pigs and dying so that BIG PHARMA can show profits. I would appreciate my name not be used as my attorney will drop my case if it is released. We are all counting on you to tell our story and stop more women from being harmed for life. My sincere appreciation and thanks for getting our story out.

Thank you so much for stepping up and trying to have your voice hears! Congrats. Others should do the same. listen to the Nader Radio Hour, first Dr. Bendavid on hernia, then me on transvag mesh. one hour total:

If she goes an article on synthetic mesh in the US things will start to happen.
      inquiries@janebrody.net. Urge her to do a column on this!!

• Bejah Butterton says:

Here, here, thank you “Never”. behind you every step of the way.

• Bejah Butterton says:

I found this list of newer methods of detecting bladder cancer that I think we may all want to be aware of so don’t be “oh, that does not apply to me” and at least scan it girls because we never know and knowledge still is power. I have had orange urine but not pink or red and I just blew it off (Did not want to know? Maybe I forgot). Anyway hope this is helpful, always new developments in medicine so always check and never give up. Have a great day!

Urine tests for tumor markers: Several newer tests look for substances in the urine that might indicate bladder cancer. These include:

UroVysion™: This test looks for chromosome changes that are often seen in bladder cancer cells.
        BTA tests: These tests look for a substance called bladder tumor-associated antigen (BTA), also known as CFHrp, in the urine.
        Immunocyt™: This test looks at cells in the urine for the presence of substances such as mucin and carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), which are often found on cancer cells.
        NMP22 BladderChek®: This test looks for a protein called NMP22 in the urine, which is often found at higher levels in people who have bladder cancer.

Data from National Cancer Institute

• Bejah Butterton says:

Nice try and oh so commendable but it won’t get past the legal dept.

B

• Bejah Butterton says:

S), Thanks for your effort BUT take a look (always) at (1) Who the advertisers are that fund the advert, who the parent corp. of that company is, who the CEO is, who sits on the Board of Directors for the media corp. that supports “60 Minutes” in an effort to get the big picture before addressing the program staff. This will strengthen your arguments and empower your words. Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Personally, if it were me I would approach Michael Moore again, rattle his cage…he’s a good guy. Sometimes it is just the timing. Anyone volunteer? If not I will. Let me know. I had another thought, Lisa Ling…is she with MSNBC? What think you people?

9. Bejah Butterton says:

The morning I was watching “Morning Joe” and they had an interesting segment toward the end I want to share with you. This horrific issue we are all burdened with that has damaged and even destroyed our lives is part of a larger problem intimately connected to our own and that is the problem of THE FIRST AMENDMENT and the importance of a free press to a democracy.

I do not recall the name of the guest and film maker but you can go to the 60Minutes website for more info. The important thing is that a film he has done about what is happening to freedom of the press in this nation is opening today I believe on NETFLIX. The film is: NOBODY SPEAK: TRIALS OF THE FREE PRESS. Try to watch. Tell others. This is important. It is important for our issue because as we all know all too well, there has been practically nothing (shamefully) in the press about polypropylene, medical mesh, or the manufacturers and their criminal conduct.

Wishing you all a lovely day.

Bejah

ow- Bejah. This will premier on Netflix tomorrow so thank you! Remember how Hulk Hogan who allegedly didn’t know a sex tape was being made of him ( right) won $140 million and put Gawker out of business? We mentioned that here in the context of pelvic mesh settlements. Hogan’s suit was supported by Peter Thiel, founder of Paypal, a superrich guy who wanted to get back at Gawker for outing him as gay. This documentary provides a scary look at how the super rich are trying, not just to control the news but to put it out of business. Here is a story and the trailer. I recently got Netflix and am very happy with its content.

• Bejah Butterton says:

I challenge all of you, with all due respect for your general political positions, to consider what Donald Trump will do with regard to freedom of the press, with first Amendment issues?

Indeed what slings and arrows will our Constitution suffer in these four years? This time is more dangerous than most of us can imagine for our young and beloved nation. It is not a time to set your level of political activity to auto pilot. And do not indulge in the luxury of thinking that national politics does not impact the issues we face for it does.