June: A Powerful Month for Empowered Women

Mesh Awareness Movement in Charleston, WV

Mesh Awareness Movement in Charleston, WV

Welcome to Mesh Medical Device News Desk – a resource for news and information on this dark chapter in women’s health.   It appears women are the recipients of many sketchy medical devices that bypass any safety checks we assume are being conducted by the Food and Drug Administration before entering the market.

That is a faulty assumption.  If you are to be implanted with a medical device in the U.S. first ask- Was it approved under the FDA’s antiquated safety loophole- the 510(k)?  If so, know you are part of the great experiment that will test its efficacy and safety in patients, not in clinical trials prior to marketing.

That’s what’s happened to hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting women not only in the States but around the world. There have been so many complications reported, that even the FDA had to admit in 2012 that complications are “not rare” and that a mesh implant to treat prolapse and incontinence might not be a first-line treatment.

Still it is used.  And most meshes remain on the market.

The dissatisfaction with this loophole in the patient safety net is enough to bring out women in protest this June 2, as lawyers from both sides converged for a status hearing on the 80,000 or so lawsuits consolidated in federal court in Charleston, WV.  While there were no solutions announced, the women tell MND the sisterhood felt among the women  present was amazing and made them feel as though their voices do matter.  They do.  Manufacturers do not like to see powerful women they’ve harmed  up close I’ve observed in the courtroom when mesh-injured watch the proceedings.

Just FYI

MND is NOT a legal referral service! It is written by your editor, a long-time journalist. No, I am not mesh-injured and am not a patient advocate. I find this to be the most incredible story I’ve ever uncovered and believe it needs to be brought to light, front page news if you will.  Women need to be empowered with information so they can take control of their own medical future.

As such, to readers a mere $3 a month would help with coverage in the public interest.

Advertisers – Advertisers are beginning to understand, Mesh News Desk has been around going on four years now and 5,000 viewers a day is not uncommon.   Want to have your words seen on MND, in an ad or an essay? Contact janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com.  Mesh News Desk is grateful to our advertisers.  With 6,000 views a day- what are you waiting for?

Your emails are never shared unless you request. Providing your email may result in enrollment in the newsletter.  Thank you all!  Hang in there friends.  A new year, renewed determination!

Jane Akre, Editor

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. ED says:

My wife has a AMS mesh , 5 years now. She has had many many problems, pain, emotional, psychical, no sex, it goes on and on. She is in this law suite against AMS, and we just wonder when this will all end and we can see our settlement. The attorney’s keep telling us that we’re going to be receiving a settlement letter. But they can’t say when the letter will be sent. They won’t tell us any thing. Can or will any one tell us what is going on ? So maybe we can rest a bit better. Thanks.

So sorry you are frustrated, but likely they do not know. Justice delayed is justice denied and this is amounting to pure torture, further perpetrated by mesh makers on women. It truly sucks and is cruel. More women showing up at shareholders meeting might make a difference…. Surely the shareholders don’t want to make their profits off your pain.

• Deb says:

CAN THE NATIONALYOU TELL ME WHY ALL OF THIS HAS NOT BEEN ON THE NATIONAL NEWS!!!!

WE NEED ALL THE SUPPORT WE CAN GET. I LIVE IN BOISE ID, WILL I EVER GET HELP BECAUSE I LIVE CLEAR IN THE NORTHWEST?

• Ruined says:

I am having the exact same issues with my attorney’s. I wish someone had some answers for all of us.

• cher says:

Same exact thing here Ed. mesh erosion,,Put in 2010 eroded 2012″” been sick since day one. Had an dr not afraid to work against manufacture taken the shit out before erosion..it’s possible I would not have scleroderma today. I have sent my implant Dr literature and begged him not to continue to use. BAmazing no response…I guess money over life is his way of thinking…..would love to plaster their names all over the news ….I am arms Sparc bladder..prayers to your wife…..none of this sh is in our heads….I was very active now can’t stand 15 minutes…my letter has been coming as well. I think the atty are making money off our money letting it sit in the bank…..as if they are not getting enough from our injuries

2. Emily says:

Hello Jane! I’ve been following your posts for quite some time now, and really appreciate all the updated information you provide. I had my initial surgery in 2009, and have POP mesh/sling products in me from two of the defendants….JnJ and Boson Scientific. I have two thoughts that I would like to share:

1. I made the decision to have the POP repair surgery in 2009 because, at age 48, I felt (by God’s grace) I still had a lot of good living left to do and thought the surgery could only improve the quality of my life.

2. With that said…had I known that the products selected to be implanted inside me were not recommended for use in humans, I would never have signed the consent to proceed with the surgery. Period.

I’m a fair and objective person….a nurse by profession…..and I like to make good decisions based on sound information. I was unable to do this because I did not have all the facts. So, who did have this information? Feedback welcomed!

The manufacturers had this information if they had a Material Safety Data Sheet. It clearly states the resin (polypropylene) is NOT to be made into implantable medical devices. They did it anyway. That is negligence and defective manufacturing. A failure to tell doctors about the risks is inadequate information, essentially covering up their tracks. That is why they are being sued and that is why they are losing hundreds of millions of dollars. You cannot knowingly harm people for profit! No way. Juries agree. The game is up for manufacturers and they will rattle their chains and posture until they settle. It’s all a numbers gave for them…..business without conscience. Shareholders need to hold them accountable as well in my opinion.

3. jenny says:

Hi Jane, I have a CR BARD mesh, any news on settlement talk with them? I have had #3 surgeries for removeral and repair. I have nerve damage with constant pain and incontinence. (Very sad) and this is not the me I planned on being. My husband and I were very active fly fisherman,hickers and had a very active sex life. I also raise 2 Grandchildren and work full time. Since the *&#@#$ mesh this has all changed do to nerve pain. Quality of life has plummeted . I know $$$$ will not change the pain or give me my old life back but they knew this mesh was not recommended for humans and we should be compinsated!!!

I print what I can verify. Use the search bar and put in Bard and pull up all of the news concerning Bard. It will give you some idea of what’s going on. I cannot know behind the scenes unless I can prove it. thank you.

4. lisa says:

When talking to my attorney about a settlement, says my csse may be thrown out due to my mesh being put in after the fda warning came out. That if I don’t accept settlement, may end up with nothing. Doesn’t seem fair since when I had it put in I was not aware of the warning.j nmJane, any advise on this?

I’m not a lawyer but that sounds bogus. Many procedures were done after the two FDA warnings……. and besides the FDA did not provide the warning to the general public, it was not widely disseminated and only on their pages. Most docs didn’t know about it, the media was sleeping and that sounds like a hollow argument by a lazy law firm, but that’s must my initial opinion.

5. Bejah says:

Lisa, How terrible for you. BUT what about this matter of when you became aware and all that? I think that generally speaking the better the attorney you can get to work with you the greater the chances of a good outcome. The defendants are now, as I understand it, continuing their efforts to have as many cases as possible thrown out on technicalities (sp?) and there is nothing fair or just about that. I think that as soon as you became aware you would have done something immediately from what I know of you. If that is all your attorney said to you I say that is not enough, not a good talk…what does he or she mean by “may be thrown out”. That sounds a little too vague. What do they mean by “may be” as opposed to will be? And what are the chances of that and why. We need more information for you…and maybe the attorney did something wrong, did not file something in time, is covering his or her tracks. Do you have copies of all the documentation produced by this attorney? I think you have a right to it. Ask nicely (like a lady) for copies. If they resist I would think that would be a discouraging sign in general. Find out more and let us know. Never giveup. This is the largest mass tort in US history….laws may be changed,,,who knows what may be done retroactively to ensure victims were properly compensated. Never give up.

Bejah

6. ally baba says:

Please help me help my sister who is too ill to help herself. Her mesh implant complications are so serious she is completely dysfunctional. Where should I start? I need a road map of sorts to try and get her help. She is located in Las Vegas, and I am in Los Angeles. Please, any information of where to start would be greatly appreciated!

first she will need all of her medical records. Then she will need an expert doc…. what type of mesh does she have,,, transvaginal or hernia?

• ally baba says:

She has transvaginal mesh, and we are in the process of obtaining her medical records. She has seen a doctor that has preformed an ultrasound and found the mesh has grown into one of her fallopian tubes, and into one of her kidneys.