Johnson & Johnson Offers First Transvaginal Mesh Settlement $120 Million

j&j LOGOMesh News Desk, January 27, 2016 ~ Bloomberg News (here) reports Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $120 million to settle thousands of injury lawsuits filed by women implanted with the company’s transvaginal mesh.

The offer resolves anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 lawsuits. The number represents $40,000 to $60,000 per case before legal fees and outstanding debt is settled.

This is the first time J&J has offered to resolve its product liability cases regarding mesh.

J&J and its Ethicon division is currently facing more product liability lawsuits than any other mesh maker, in excess of 40,000 actions.  According to its fourth quarter SEC filing the company does not consider the financial risk from pelvic mesh to be material.

Earnie Knewitz, spokesman J&J

Earnie Knewitz, spokesman J&J

“From time to time we have appropriately agreed to resolve some cases,” Ernie Knewitz, a J&J spokesman, said in an e-mailed statement. “We will not discuss the terms, nor discuss our ongoing litigation strategy.”

J&J says it has spent $141 million in costs in total litigation expenses during 2015, that is down from $1.2 billion in 2014, says J&J Investor News.

J&J's Prolene Mesh

J&J’s Prolene Mesh

The J&J Fourth Quarter report says, “The number of pending product liability lawsuits continues to increase, and the Company continues to receive information with respect to potential costs and the anticipated number of cases.”

Besides 30,665 cases filed in multidistrict litigation in Charleston, WV (here) , a number of personal injury cases have been filed in Australia, Belgium, Canada, England, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Scotland and Venezuela seeking damages.

While other mesh manufacturers such as American Medical Systems and C.R. Bard have agreed to settle its outstanding product liability actions regarding pelvic mesh, J&J has not done so to date until the eve of a jury trial or, in one case, just as the case was about to go to the jury.

Any settlement requires at least 90 percent of qualified recipients agree to the terms of settlement.

J&J recently announced it was restructuring its medical device division and dismissing 3,000 employees after disappointing sales figures. #

LEARN MORE:

J&J 4th Quarter SEC filing

J&J Investor News, January 26, 2016

1. Advocate says:

Based on the settlement size, we can tell this offer goes to those with product in place only, about 5% of the total cases filed against them. This would settle those PIP cases without any medical, or very limited medical care, being required.

So taken with a grain of salt, it is good news to the degree that Ethicon/J&J, is willing to pay for some kind of case not requiring litigation. I’d like to think this were the start of something along the line of larger case loads being settled, but this is J&J and I think this is purely an accounting measure for them.

I don’t believe they intend to go quietly into the night settling cases. This is a move to simply “buy time”, in the larger scheme of the litigation.

I sure hope I’m wrong on that belief.

• susan says:

I don’t have pop and I am a part of the $120.000.000 settlement. I have had 7 surgeries, and a major blood clot that almost killed me, due to my last surgery. I won’t settle for the minimal amount of 20,000, after all is said and done. I’m wondering how long it will take for them to appoint a magistrate to read our records. They told me it could take up to 18 months from November 30th. But note, they owe me way more. So how long can this take? It’s already going on 6 years of waiting.

• anonymous says:

Now you all know what the AMS victims felt like while everybody was singing the praises that they were settling and people couldn’t wait till AMS settled and get it all behind them it was nothing but a a joke and a slap in the face to all victims they’re still not offering what they originally said they would every last one of us has to say no otherwise the amount will never be better and will be thrown into poverty every one of us has to demand that this comes back to work chords for Judge Goodwin to get the idea that the settlements are nothing but a joke he won’t even have the backbone to look at Boston Scientific illegal mesh product he wants out of that he just wants to be able to sign the papers and say it’s all done with well judge goodwin it’s not going to be that freaking easy get a backbone and make these companies pay these women for the permanent disability they will have for the rest of their life or get off the damn stand

• Janet says:

I so much agree..

I have Boston scientific 2 meshes I have had 2 surgeries and looking at another surgery soon

Still major issues and will for life

I have advised my attorneys I will not settle for nothing I did nit ask for this nightmare. My attorneys told me that do not expect much..well you do 40%..I do not want to break them. But you are so correct they owe us excellent settlements. .I can no longer work like I did before the mesh.. only 25 hrs a week. .

I have lost everything because if them..standing ground

• D says:

I have my offer . I got more money in a property damage roof claim from a hurricane than they’re offering for my ruined health! I am not accepting their settlement. If women would reject these settlements, not allow them to get their 90% participation , we still have a fight. Otherwise I don’t know if I’ll be able to find an attorney to represent me as an individual. I feel like my attorney misled me. She should have been required to tell me she only handles tort cases. Of course she told me how much better it would be for me to be in a torte. But she also made it out like that was the only way I could file. Does anyone have names of attorneys stil willing to go to trial with our cases? I was told if I do not accept the offer I will be dropped because these attorneys only do tort!

• D says:

Why does this come across nearly unreadable!

• Samuel says:

I really agree with you. But to appeal and wait for a single trial among the tens of thousands of cases will take so many years if not decades and the chance of winning the case will never be a guarantee. So, make the best of it , accept the settlement. God Bless us all.

• AngelAllemand says:

I was offered 41K last week. 40% for the attorneys, another 5% paid to the court then they will have to also take out the payment to Medicare. Let’s just say it’s 10K, That would put me with about 10K for all that I have gone thru. I want to appeal but not sure how to do that on my own

• AngelAllemand says:

The 40% off for the attorneys is about 16,400.00. Then the 5% to the court-about 2250.00. Just ridiculous

Depending on your tier if injury,,,,he more than mesh in place, you can appeal,making sure they have all your records, or fire your firm and get another….it helps to have nerve damage if you do the latter.

• Theo says:

My wife and i been waiting 8 yrs and she has had over 12 surgeries. Our life has been shattered by this mesh and she is now disabled and i am the only one working in the household these lawyers keep giving us the run around.

• Vanona C says:

I Have had several surgeries. I almost died from barium and have server kidney damage damage from it I was at the point of renal failure. My surgeon worked on me 4 and a half hours to try and remove three 4×5.inch mesh . He was unable to do so. He must had to sew me back up. He said it looked like a ” a cat fight inside me” Mesh has invaded different organs. My life is now uncertain. I Will NOT SETTLE for that either. Other mesh settlements have been as much as 1.5 million for a single case and more. The CEO made a statement. Women are such tiddy babies. !!!!

• Teresa Steadman says:

Having the TV T has ruined my life.After having it the mesh eroded out the vaginally wall requiring a second surgery which also eroded out the vaginally wall.My doctor had to clip the mesh over a 3 month period causing extensive scar tissue to the vaginally wall.I have constant pain and can no longer have sex because the pain and bleeding is excruciating. I also had a recto

Teresa- I’m so sorry….. many people on these pages have found doctors who have helped them find some relief…. partial explants have often left women in worse conditions…

• susann says:

I don’t have pip. And I am part of the $120,000.0000 settlement. I have had seven surgeries, the last causing a blood clot that almost killed me. So your coment is not correct. I don’t know if a special master has been appointed at this time.

2. Debbie E. says:

Ok think about this:

12000,000,000. ÷ 3,000= $40,000.00

40,000.00 – 40%= $24,000.00

That is approximately the amount each one of the 3000 women would get, but remember you have to pay extra for all the work that your lawyer does: paperwork, getting medical files, etc. So, the reality is you could received 10,000 to $15,000. BUT, remember there are different amount paid for different injuries. So on paper this sounds good, and it is if you’re Johnson and Johnson, but, if you are a woman who is going to suffer the rest their life, maybe you need to think about it. Just saying do the math.

• K says:

Minus what you have to pay back insurance company if you had a removal.

• K says:

Which would be the rest of it.

• susann says:

Its my understanding that each person will not get the same amount. The magistrate looks at each set of medical records, and by a point system, they then determine the amount each case will get. Some will get more, some will get less.

• tina says:

This is a joke right someone wake me up. Those figures are like a smack in the face. Surgery times two cost way more not to mention the pain that person went through but the whole families suffers. The things some people have lost and can never get back. A few thousand dollars will never replace life. They can keep it some will wait for our day in court. We will let the judge decide.

3. Lindsey says:

Can you give us information on when we can attend anything for the mesh MCL in Bergen New Jersey? Or when there may be some updates? Thank you for all you do!

4. Michelle says:

This would not even touch the expenses most of us have incurred. I myself have already had 9 surgeries to date then the care for the rest of my life for the continual pain. Easy way out Johnson and Johnson!!

5. Sarah says:

OH Dear Ladies don’t be fooled. This is all cases! Not just mesh in place, they will end up with pennies. the 40 to 60 is for the cases of the highest tiers. So think before you sign! What makes one womans’ life more valueable than yours. and also no punitive damages! What makes them think this is a good deal. at best worst cases will walk out with maybe 35000.You have all the control don’t accept this crap.They spend more than this on lunch discussing how they are beating us out of a fair settlement. My Mom has been in pain and is still in pain, had 4 surgeries and is going to be in pain for the rest of her life. Lost her job of 26 years. And was offered top pay of 60 thousand after all was said and done see will still owe medical bills. So is it still a GOOD DEAL! I think Not. God bless you all.

• Samantha says:

How do you know it’s all cases? It amount seems too low for over 40,000 cases

• Anonymous says:

These are stressful times, but I think we need to refrain from stating an offer amount applies to everyone. $40-60,000 isn’t representative of compensation for all injured. My mom’s experienced much devastation, never told by attorneys that there won’t be some fair help though. She started on disability well under forty and told she’ll never be the same. Even with removals and continued help from good doctors, she’s always in pain and ill, struggling also with damaged nerves and muscles, adhesions, permanent catheterization, medications, and much more that wasn’t her life before erosion, extrusion, contraction. There’s no offer yet but attorneys tell my parents to be careful what they read and take from comments. I think we shouldn’t say anything is fact unless we know it to be because some read comments on the newsdesk and believe them to be fact, causing some panick and then more stress on the editor and attorneys.

• Vanona C says:

My friends mother started bleading went to er. Was admitted to hospital and went septic and died the next day.

6. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

We need to all say “HELL NO”! Believe me its pennies what’s we will get. If anyone was involved in the AMS settlement it was quite a joke. It will never be enough to cover a months worth of pain and suffering, job loss, medical and marital consortium. Its a slap in the face for all of us women. J & J is gonna pay. DEARLY PAY! This is for all us still waiting, them destroying, evidence, settling in the court before proceedings start, apppealing cases women have already won, appealing a case after a woman one and then died, now her family has to fight J&J now. They are a disgrace and need to be held accountable. If they can spend 1 billion for a TV commercial they sure as hell can pay us. Women don’t let the $$$ signs make you weak. Especially the ones who may have just had a J &J implant, it took 3 yrs before mine invaded others organs. Plus, who knows if they got the mesh from China like other Pharma cos? Anyone that has a J&J product should be yelling J&J is gonna pay. Treat us mesh sisters like dogs and then try and throw us a bone. Well I want a helluva lot of meat on my bone! Sharpen your damn pencils, treat us like guinea pigs. You ain’t walking away from me for less than 5 million.

7. L.G.Mayes says:

Bahaaaaaa…J&J must be getting panicky…laying off 3000 employees will help free up some funds that can eventually go to the more deserving mesh injured/ suffering women…John Lennon said it best…” Time wounds all heels”…J&J are throwing pennies at us…I believe in karma…J&J will never admit to the hideous products they

dupped us with…but ALL THE TRUTH will come out…my thoughts to all who have suffered from this national shameful corporate greed…thanks Jane for all of your time and passion in keeping us so well informed…

8. Halina says:

Perhaps if they had standards of care for complications of these devices they would know how ridiculous their offer is. A simple though not so simple removal without further complications can run $30K and up. Some partials are even costing that much. They should be ashamed!!! They’ve spent more on defense. Karma is coming and truth will be known . Hopefully jail sentences will accompany future verdicts for those responsible for this mess. And then folks need to consider there is permanent damage post mesh. Some if not all who suffered complications may require medical care and even possibly further surgeries for the rest of their lives. The injured may want to really consider opt out options once they receive a ridiculous offer. Noone really wins in a suit but this is just a further slap in the face. Meshed lives matter!! Shame on them. Thank you Jane for keeping us informed & all that you do!!

Let’s calculate the cost of one attorney preparing for trial. How many hours does it take? Many many, say 100 hours to be conservative. Let’s say you bill at a discount, say $300 an hour, down from $400 or $500. That is $30,000. for one attorney at a discount!!!… Its likely more than 100 hours and trials take awhile too, not to mention travel time, expert depositions etc. Just putting it in perspective.

• Debbie E. says:

Jane, you are so right about respecting our attorneys, we might not see the work they do for us but I believed they earn every penny. I respect my lawyer and I know he is working for me.

I agree with you Advocate , this settlement probably is for the bottom tier. That makes sense, because of the price of going to court.

I hope my thinking is correct, that would be good news. But if you really want to know call your attorney. They will inform you if this is true or not and at what level.

Thank You Jane for all that you do for us, and bless all them ladies who are living through this.

You are welcome. I just sent out another newsletter with lots of links so please be sure to sign up on page one.

• Regina H says:

Jane what about us women that don’t have insurance and are now unemployed so we do t have money to have surgeries that I need desperately but they won’t do it on credit.. I had to stop seeing Dr’s in Dallas because I lost my insurance and income. They look at what you’ve been through and how many surgeries you’ve already had,yet that’s not fair if you can’t afford the surgeries !!! My life is over ! I was widowed young and was single for 17 yrs before marrying 2 yrs ago only to find out that the sickness I was having was from the bladder mesh I had already had partially removed. I cannot have relations with my new husband ! All the out door stuff I use to do is gone. I have 9 grandbabies all under 12. I never get to spend time with them because I am ALWAYS sick, week, and running low grade fever or sometimes high.

Clearly you need medical care because you are suffering. No insurance? Can you borrow from family, friends? Lending service? Are you represented? What do your lawyers say about getting you help?

• Chris says:

J&J needs to be charged criminally. Offering 40,000 is nothing. Are the attorneys willing to take less so a client gets more. I’ve only had one partial removal because I fear contracting other serious complications, c diff, mrsa, sepsis, Death! I have a 50/50 chance. Right now I’m still breathing and choose that over anything else but My life as a woman is over and besides the pain, humiliation and depression I know i have to be repaired at some point. So, Why should I, or any one of us say we are only worth pennies. ! Their greed is my suffering for a lifetime, maybe even my death if something goes wrong when I am repaired and that’s if I can be completely. it’s time every one stand together and let those pieces of garbage (j&j ceo s, sales men .) Know what it’s like to loose everything you have, everything you are , what it is to suffer the only way we can, their bankroll! That’s why they sold it, knowing it wasn’t compatible, for money. J&J destroyed so many lives, even preyed on children.. How many more lives need to be trashed before people get a clue and shut them down. And how long will the judicial system let them make a joke of all of it.

• Chris says:

• JuStill Standing says:

Adding to court costs are the exorbitant fees for depositions/testimony from physicians. Three of my physicians charged $1500/hr (yes, one thousand five hundred dollars per hour). They do because they can. So, for a four hour deposition, just their bill is $6,000. Then, they can charge for reviewing your chart before the testimony. Once again, three physicians billed for 8-10 hours for reviewing my chart, so your physician bills can be enormous…$18,000 for ONE physician to prep and give testimony at deposition. Trial could add tens of thousands in just physician fees. Some are paid by the defendants, but some come out of the plaintiff’s pocket. It was most certainly and eye opener for me….you can just hear a giant sucking sound…

• Elizabeth says:

But, Jayne, how would one refuse a potential settlement amount for being too low?
        My lawyer warned that a possible settlement might be very small or my case completely dismissed because my injuries are not considered “serious” compared to some.
        I have not yet had removal surgery, but I have to and what absolutely terrifies me is what the future may bring – the potential for devastating injuries or complications.
        How can I stress this to the lawyer and not just accept what MIGHT be given to me?

• Still Standing says:

There are no standards of care….they are figuring out what that is by following our symptoms and complications. The medical community was not prepared for this at all. It is difficultvto set a protocol when each woman has unique complications that cannot become common, yet. They will get there, but probably far to late to reverse the damage to us, but im hopeful my daughter and granddaughters will have better education on pelvic care overall. USA does a poor job of supporting womens issues. In Europe, it is standard for women who have any abdominal or pelvic surgery to get a referral to physical therapy to learn how to prevent adhesions, hypertonic pelvic muscles, and prolapse. They are way ahead of that game, and their medical coverage covers that. Just think if all,of us had had physical therapy after childbirth, we may not be dealing with this mess because we would have understood the importance of pelvic health and been able to take a proactive path. So sad.

9. Melanie says:

Is that truly enough? No. It’s an insult! We’re talking about life time wounds, both physical and mental. No one gave me a choice to my quality of life, and now you’re trying to hand out pennies. Please!!!!!! I hope that our attorneys will represent us in settlement the way they would want to be represented if they were the client.

10. Hal Lewis says:

I would REALLY be interested in hearing whether this is really being offered as $48,000 per claim to “lower tier” cases…

or whether some of these clients were offered $7,500 and others offered $500,000.

I can’t imagine that one law firm could just settle all of their cases for a standard “per claim” amount when every case is different.

Thus, I would really like to know what the LARGEST individual settlement was in the group and what the injuries were in that case.

But I doubt we ever will.

11. Andrea says:

The person that sits next to me in our office has Johnson and Johnson stock. I just asked him if it was suffering. (He doesn’t know I have a case against them) He looked it up with me sitting here and said it was still doing very well. I told him I was asking because I heard they just laid off 3000 people.

12. DK says:

Hal did AMS do this to when they settled $7,500 for the lower tier and some with higher who had revision surgeries and who has more complications as everybody seems jump to conclusions right away.
    No offense to anyone please don’t take this the wrong way but it might just be the way it’s being done I know it’s not fair but it’s been said in the past that some will get less and some will get more depending on ones injuries and how many revisions done. Hope by saying this I haven’t made some mad at me as mesh is mesh and has devastated a lot of lives.

13. Sarah says:

In responds to the comment of is this true for all cases. YES! They are not paying for ANY other medical, except removal.No pain, no life care and the lawyers get there first, and then your medical. even if you don’t owe they have the right to take back anything your insurance payed out. Its TRUE! so just say NO!

• K says:

Sarah, did your attorney tell you this? How can we find out how this settlement is set up? Jane or Hal can you help? My attorney always says you can not go by anything on the internet and that the settlements are not split evenly with the plaintiffs.

Your attorney no doubt gets information from Mesh News Desk. There is no more misinformation I’ve seen than from write ups from law firms!! They are often just plain wrong. Regardless, there will be some sort of tier system, he is right. Class action is one size fits all, not a MDL.

14. Sarah says:

Boston Scientific is doing the the same settlement, testing the waters to see how stupid we all are.

15. Linda says:

Any news on the Sherrar trial?

16. Ms T says:

Initially I read this as being an “offer”, but now the language in Bloomberg’s article states that J & J “agrees” to pay 120 mil to settle 2-3000 cases. Big difference if it is an initial offer vs an agreement. Could you please clarify, Jane?

Also, like Mr. Lewis, I am more interested in how the settlement amount was arrived at and what the top tier settlement amount was vs lower tiers.

I’m additionally intrigued because Clayton Clark, partner and lead attorney for the plantiffs in this settlement served on the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee over five separate Multidistrict Litigations in the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. One of those is the J & J/Ethicon MDL.

As well, according to the National Law Journal, “Clark, Love & Hutson hit a double last year. On Nov. 13, a Miami jury awarded $26.7 million in the first federal bellwether trial against Boston Scientific Corp. over its pelvic mesh devices. Then, on Nov. 20, a federal jury in a separate case in Charleston, W.Va., awarded $18.5 million.”

Yet they have agreed to settle for a mere 120 million for another 2-3000 of their clients? I hope someone can shed more light on this.

17. Debbie E. says:

Ms T, where did you read or hear that they AGREED to settle for 120 million??? The way the article reads it will take 90% of the women to say YES to the amount. So I am wondering where your information comes from, and if you will share with all us.

Mesh News Desk dot come confirmed it with Johnson & johnson. Bloomberg also reported it. The link to their story is there. Info came from the Clark Love Hutson law firm. Apparently the clients are theirs, but that is not confirmed.

• Still Standing says:

Our agreement with our attorney gives them the authority to reach an agreement with the device maker on our behalf, so the agreement represents the culmination of many hours of negotiations . The attorneys, as part of their responsibility, agree to deliver a certain percentage of clients to accepting the offer. If they didnt bring this many of their clients to final settlement, it would do nothing to reduce financial risk of the device maker. And, once this agreement is made, the attorney is very intent on getting the % delivered. Clients failing to accept this agreement can be released by their attorney, so it is just not as simple as saying no. I imagine it depends on the wording of the contract your signed. Confusing

• susann says:

I have Clark Love and Hudson. I recieved a good news letter that J&J are settling. I have not gotten my packet as of yet.

• Janet says:

Sounds great but read close and do not settle for nothing
          I filed my case with Boston scientific Obtryx and polyform in 09 nothing 2 surgeries going to have another for the band’s
          And probably over 100 procedures for just the pain and infections of UTI’S ..I am so tired at this point.can only work 5 hrs a day even that exhaust me..
          They owe us so much but me waiting 7 hrs for them to do what’s right is wrong..

18. karen says:

First thing we should all not worry so much , that stress is doing nothing for us but making matters worst for our health . I’ve become closer to GOD because of this issue, and we all know , WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND , ALEX GORSKY TOOK A 25 MILLION DOLLAR BONUS . HE WILL GIVE IT BACK TO VAGINAL MESH VICTIMS JUST TELL GOD AND IT WILL HAPPEN . WE ALL KNOW WE NEED 10 MILLION EACH JUST ASK GOD AND IT WILL HAPPEN AND THATS NOT ENOUGH . Johnson and Johnson put aside 3.4 Billion Dollars in petty cash for lawsuits to pay their attorneys . We all must focus on whats best for us . We have to bring ALEX GORSEY AND JOHNSON AND JOHNSON AND ALL THESE VAGINAL MESH DEMONS CORPORATIONS TO GOD SO THEY CAN CLOSE DOWN FOREVER !!!!!! TRUST IN GOD RIGHT NOW SO WE CAN WIN !!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL

19. Payton says:

Thank you Jane you are a god send and a book of knowledge for all

Of us .

20. Susan T says:

This is my comment….I picture myself toddling out to my mailbox at 80 years old to find a check of $20.00 from my “settlement”. After 12 removal surgeries of J and J Prolift mesh, ten years of pain, and now again on opiate patch and numerous other drugs, all needed just to get through my day, I am beyond skeptical about this whole process.
    Can ANYONE give us hope?

Please don’t print your last name…… J&J always said they would not settle. They said that with Risperdal and DePuy hips….. then they did.

21. Don't give up says:

These settlements very well could be all over the place like Hal has indicated some low some high who knows I really can’t see one company settling all there cases and everyone gets an low $ even cut just saying.

Don’t – you are probably right…. that number was an average but there would likely be tiers of injury determined by some formula. That information has not been revealed. These could be the low hanging fruit of one law firm and they wanted to move them on,,, but we really don’t know for sure.

22. karen says:

Im also wanting to know does that question about asking the FDA to investigating ethicon / johnson and johnson on my behalf . We need a Recall of all vaginal mesh products . I sent that question to my attorneys .

23. karen says:

If jnj got 600 million from Boston Scientific then i quess they both is still printing millions of my dollars . But before this settlement jnj asked for billions. And this was over breaking a contract not to sale to another pharmaceutical company .

24. anna says:

Was J@J part of the China resin mesh buyers.

Uncertain. This complaint targets Boston Scientific alone. Every company uses a different supplier, Prolene is the J&J brand of mesh. Both are polypropylene. You bring up a good point though. The problem with buying form Phillips Sumika was they didn’t want to be liable for injuries. Boston Sci offered them indemnity or immunity from lawsuits. They still said no.

25. janet says:

That will not cover my medical are meds for the rest of my life

I will not settle

I will live on the streets because basically

That’s what I am doing now because of those people

I have lost everything u can not work the job I had

Are they on acid are there on drugs and I think I am being nice

I forgive but will not forget I live this way they do not

• Anonymous says:

They stole my life, My husband of 60 years and I were looking forward to a
      life of Greatness in our Retirement. In reality we had to give up our way of life and into a very small home and to make ends meet we are refinancing . We are living on credit cards and I think they should not be allowed to do business in this great country and We should take the Penny’s offered to our new President. He wants all of us to be treated fairly and he can’t be bought off….Lets all refuse the pennies offered and contact our Congessman… God Bless all of us.

26. Sarah says:

My mom had boston scientific, Her lawyers are trying to get her to take 125000. what a joke. She said H*** No! They told her if they get 90 % to sign she has no choice, she can refuse but, they would drop her case. My mother has and still is in so much pain. She had it removed then things just got worst. I pray for all you women. I watch my mom cry and suffer everyday in pain and they say she has no choice, not to count what it has done to my mom and dads life has a loving couple. My mom is only in her early 50″s with her life that they have worked so hard to enjoy and now its over. and they ask what do you think its worth. I want to ask them whats there life worth. It makes me sick. Why can’t they see how many lifes they have destroyed. But the lawyers are getting theres and Boston is getting out for nothing. and life goes on FOR SOME!

27. buynowpaylater says:

Jane…it’s already the last day of January 2016…global warming controls the fate of the planet and big corporations control everything else…we can only live ’til we die…each day I will wake and be glad for advocates like you Jane…we are all superstars in our own

ways…I DO believe that the J&J levee has a crack in it…this 120 million is an admission of guilt…hang in there ladies…the truth will prevail…thanks Jane…

• Janet says:

Received my EOB from my insurance company on Saturday

Since October for my procedures total close to 22,000.00 dollars

My medications was 3000. This is only 3mo.

This will go on the rest of my life

So,thank about it

• Still Standing says:

Did your insurance pay most of this charge or was that out of pocket?

• Janet says:

I had to pay 300 for each procedure and office co-pys of 35 ea.

I am now getting billed for more. .so,I do not know what my final is going to be..these drs. Are out of network for my insurance. .so, I will be hit hard soin.. and I will be having another surgery. And more procedures

• Janet says:

Looked at the paperwork. Again

Insurance denied all even after they approved out of network

28. janet says:

Sad think of what he stated 11 million

They spent in fighting us..

WOW.. they could have used that to settle properly and given these women some of there life back.

But instead these manufacturers attorneys are doing such an injustice to these women and to there own company

All for greed…SHAME

29. Not able bodied anymore says:

Are these MDL or MCL settlements? Does anyone know?

30. Maria Garcia says:

Jane,

J&J spending 3.4 BILLION over two years defending and offering 120 MILLION to 2000 to 3000 cases at one Law Firm tells the story. If you remember one of their attorneys said that they spend more in 45 min of commercials then what one of these cases actually cost. They also said it will never affect their stock price which I thought was so cold and callus. If you look at the amount they spent in 2013 AND 2014, this year will hit them so hard that they will wish they could go back in time. The 37 cases, the first wave of 200, the individual cases all over the country and then the second wave of 200 will make 2016 the year we all have been waiting for. J&J doesn’t care how much they have to spend over a long period of years. I love what Judge Goodwin has done to force J&J Ethicon to respect the court, the process and all of the suffering women. Everyone needs to read the end results of the Vioxx settlement to get a better understanding of what the outcome will be here. Unlike J&J Ethicon, Merck won most of their cases and agreed to provide 4.85 Billion to settle 27000 cases. What is incredible here is the fact that Merck won almost all of the cases and the “PLAINTIFFS” no choice but to settle. The opposite is happening here in the court rooms all over the country and this year the dominoes will fall. Everyone should read this article on Merck and vioxx MDL settlement. The similarities are incredible.

Maria

Thanks Maria- Good to have you back!

Good story. $4.85 Billion to settle 27,000 cases. Say you have twice that, it would be $9.7 Billion for J&J alone! If you are talking three times that (81,000 cases) that would be $14.55 Billion. There are in excess of 100,000 cases. The parallels to Vioxx are not that far off in terms of what the company (Merck) knew before it sold Vioxx.

31. anonymous says:

Bottom line right now they’re only paying for surgeries nerve damage permanent disability anything else they are not even touching right now that would have to take extra negotiations the only way to get through this is to have all these cases sent back to the state levels and then we will get some reasonable settlement otherwise at this rate you’re right we’ll all be 80 or 90 years old and dead before we see any kind of compensation for all the pain and suffering we’ve been through has to be taken out of the MDL you don’t have to be part of it start being a voice for yourself rather than just fighting and bitching about the settlements start working against the court judge Goodwin cannot hear all of these anyways it’s time to stand up and say no to the court and then we want our fair time in court in front of our Judas goats

32. Toni says:

I will be very very upset if my lawyer was lying to me. I was told I had no choice but to wait out the MDL filed in New Jersey. I want and prefer having my case heard locally and asked him specifically if we could. He indicated we have to wait for trial there or refuse an offer to settle. Anyone know if this is the truth? We should expect our own lawyers to tell the truth. Or we should have recourse on them. Dam who are they working for?

Is your case being worked up for trial? You might ask.

• Toni says:

No Jane my attorney is not preparing for a trial. He is doing nothing but waiting . He said he had about a dozen cases about mesh. Mine he said was the worst.

• Janet says:

I wish they would tell the truth

But think about it attorneys get paid to win a case not to tell the truth and they do not care if it’s the truth are not it’s called winning the case no matter what is at stake.

Mine told me that I would get reimbursement for injury and compensated for loss and my future medical and all back pay for what I have lost lol he lied. .he wanted my case the 40%.they also stated take a vacation I have been through so much.on what money I know him and his family will off our 40%

33. Ms T says:

Thanks Maria. Good information, and I agree, the similarities to Merck and Vioxx are pretty amazing.

This is another reason why I think the law firm accepting the piddly 120 mil for 2-3000 cases was just to clean up some low-hanging fruit (perhaps those people who have filed because they have the mesh in place, saw a a lawyer ad, but have not suffered any adverse events (yet).

I can’t imagine anyone who has had reparative surgery would settle for an average of $40k. Mesh migration requiring surgery or surgeries is valid documentation of the mesh monster. When I had my one (and only one thus far) surgery, my surgeon had to call another surgeon in to help. . .it was so complicated. This will be in the surgical notes. Everything that happens in a surgery is documented. No one, but no one can say “it’s in your head.” Surgery is serious business. Period.

Just my opinion.

34. Still Standing says:

I just read a very informative article about MDLs. It is long, but I learned a great deal from readng it. It explains how cases are transferred to the MDL without any ability of the plaintiff to opt out of this transfer. It also explains that the goal of an MDL is settlement, not court dates. If you are snowed in as I am, you should take a look at it via the link below. Pretty eye opening.

35. Regina H says:

This is SAD !! 60,000 before Attorney fees and expenses you will be lucky if we turn up with 40,000 !!! That’s not enough for 2 surgeries which most of us will need ! Then what are the offering for any extra benifit for problems later in life ?? Iam so up set over this and feel so bad for these people. Mine has not made it to court yet and I live with horrible pain hourly ! Prayers for everyone !!!!

• anonymous says:

Now you know how many of the AMS victims that have been severely hurt or permanently disabled feel it’s a never ending nightmare its going to end up leaving us completely broke and almost homeless and you will live in pain the rest your life I continue to pray for a miracle for all of us but unfortunately it seems that’s the way it’s going to end up

• Still Standing says:

Regina, Im so sorry for your pain. I pray every day for all women who are going through this hell on earth. Where are you on the surgery numbers? Have you had any surgery yet or just anticipating surgery? I couldnt tell from your post. I have had eight major surgeries and multiple in officie procedures, so based on my experience and many others who post here, two surgeries is lowballing it a bit. I ask this question because in reality your case wont go to court if you have had no surgery and depending on the company, some are not awarding dollars at all for product in place, no surgery.

Regina, I dont want to cause you more anxiety, but there is no way a $60,000 settlement will net $40,000. It will more than likely come out at around $20,000 if you are lucky. Many people think that the attorney just takes off 40%, but there are case expenses that you need to factor in. The attorney takes their 40% from the gross amount, but then they have case expenses…hourly time, court filings, travel expenses especially if you case has been worked up as trial ready, but even if not and you are in an MDL, your settlement will be charged for the MDL management and other costs associated with joint discovery, expert opinions, etc. then, off the top there will be a 25% hold ( so for $60,000, $15,000) to pay for any liens that have been filed against your settlement. Liens may include insurance companies that filed to claim what they have paid out, medicare/medicaid reimbursement, unpaid doctor and hospital bills, etc. You will eventually get the balance from that, but paying all of these can eat up that 25% and it could take months before you see that remainder of the money. There will be a special master appointed to handle negotiations on liens, but im sure most women will have expenses there. Lets say your special master negotiates a repayment of half ($7500) and your case cost are relatively low, lets say $7500, then when all is said and done, you will net out a little over $20,000. My case expenses were high, about $80,000, so that can eat into your settlement amount big time. However, my case was worked up,for trial. Trial could add thousands and thousands in expenses. Many people think that the attorney takes 40% and that covers all their time. The 40 % is their negotiated profit. If not, if they spent a lot of time on your case, they could end up in the negative. So , looking at relatively low case expenses and lien payments you could net around $20,000. If your lien payments end up on the high side and take all your $15,000, then that is even a bigger hit on your settlement and could leave a balance of $13,000+ change. Horrible sad , but true facts about settlements. Things that I did not know about until entering this litigation process.

You have every right to ask your attorney for an update on what they have charged to your case. They probably dont have a running tally, but they should be able to give a ballpark. As far as the liens, you should have received a lien notification from any insurer stating they have put a lien against your settlements $$. A handful,of states have anti-subrogations laws, which could help your payout amount where private insurers are involved. If your medical costs were paid by Medicare or Medicaid, the government will definitely want to recoup their costs, so you may have an idea of where that amount stands.

To end on a high note, however, you do not pay federal imcome tax on personal injury settlements…how kind our IRS is, just heartwarming (ha). You DO have to pay Federal income tax on punitive damages awarded by juries. Regina, I put a lot of time into formulating this reply with the hope that you will not be shocked when your case is settled. It could be quite disturbing to be hit with so much reality at once. A good lawfirm should have gone over all of this when they took you as a client and you signed the contract. , but that doesnt seem to be the norm based on postings here. At least this gives you some questions to ask your attorney. While you are having the conversation, ask them if your case will eventually be worked up as trial ready. If not, you will be offered a settlement based on the negotiated outcomes your law firm agrees to with defense counsel. They do not consider any lifetime expenses, nor pay punitive damages. It is just a lump sum payout. Most appear to be based on tiers of injury based on number of surgeries. and whether POP or SUI. POP payouts have been slightly higher.

Please have hope that you will have better days, There will be days that your pain gives you a few breaks. I didnt get there for about five years but over time I have tried to identify what triggers high pain flares and finding ways to calm myself so it doesnt take me under emotionally. Some days that approach works, some days not much. Listen to your body. Sit when it tells you to rest, cry when you need to express sadness or anger, scream when you need to express rage. Take charge of anything you can possibly do to get better physically and emotionally. Celebrate small steps toward getting there. You CAN do this.

36. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

MAKE SURE WE ALL SAY NO AND LET OUR LAWYERS KNOW HOW WE WILL REJECT THIS OFFER. IT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. THEY PAY BILLIONS EACH YEAR IN ADS. THEY CAN AFFORD TO PAY US EACH $120MILLION! JUST SAY NO! SHOW UP IN WEST VIRGINIA ON APRIL 11 FOR THE 37 WV WOMEN GOING THRU TRIAL TOGETHER AGAINST J&J. OUR PRESENCE ALONE WILL BRING UP THAT PISSY ASS NUMBER. WOMEN DONT SEE $$ SIGNS NOW CAUSE YOURE NEEDING MONEY. LET THE GOV WELFARE OR WHATEVER ASSISTANCE YOU DESERVE UNTIL WE ALL SEND THEM A SIGNAL. THE MONEY MAY BE YEARS FROM NOW BUT ITS BETTER THAN TAKINGVA MEASLEY $20,000 IF YOURE LUCKY. I WAS IN THE AMS SETTLEMENT AND I GOT $11,000 AFTER EVERYONE WHO DIDNT HAVE MESH IN THEM GOT THEIR SHARE. ITS JUST NOT RIGHT! STAND UP, STAND UNITED AND LETS STAND SIDE BY SIDE ON APR 11 @ 8 AM IN CHARLESTON, WV AND SHUT J&J DOWN FOR GOOD! PAY UP!

• Still Standing says:

So, mamohio, you said that you took the ams settlement or did you refuse it? If you took it, what compelled you to do so? If you refused it, have you secured another attorney to file your case in your state? Do you have another j&j mesh as a seperate suit? Sorry for so many questions, but Im wondering what advice you can give other women who are or will struggle with that decision. I admire you for continuing your advocacy work by attending the trials, especially if you took a settlement. There is one thing I think the readers should take into consideration and that is that most legal firms have taken out loans to litigate these mesh cases, so in reality, they cannont continue these cases in perpetuity without reaching settlements. Since one trial costs tens of thousands of $$s and can go either way, they need to settle cases. I imagine an attorney would take your case and charge you for actual time and expenses, but then you would be betting your money, not theirs. I doubt that many of us would have the kind of cash to do this. It is hard I think to determine what is best for each plaintiff. Certainly that is a decision that requires a lot of consideration in many areas, but understanding our that out attorney does have skin in the game is important. Yes, they stand to profit from our case, but they have also invested their funds to get settlement or jury awards for us.

• anonymous says:

You make it sound like we should all just back down and take whatever we’re given which is a load of crap as far as I’m concerned I say fight ladies fight for your life fight for your rights to be paid what you deserve don’t sell out to threats of bankruptcy of the other people not taking your case or whatever these attorneys knew what they were getting into when they got into this stop making excuses why you shouldn’t fight for your right to be paid for the injuries you received when they damn well knew what they were doing

• Janet says:

This is so true

First thing my attorney had stated in just a month ago

We will not even get close to what we deserve nor will we receive punitive damages nor would receive anything for helping for our life medical. .

He said these companies will file bankruptcy and we will get nothing..that’s a threat ..but yet they want there 40%

• Still Standing says:

Anonymous, please reread what I wrote. I in no way suggested that everyone just hudle up and give up. On the contrary, I think i have encouraged each plaintiff to completely understand her particular case and to realistically determine along with her attorney the positives and negatives of that case. I do not intend for anything I say be taken as legal advice. Most of my posts have been to encourage each plaintiff to be fully informed about her case on an individual level and to make informed decisions about whether to take a settlement, how to determine the potential worth of their individual case, and asking her attorney the question about what will happen if she declines a settlement. These are important conversations to have.

I think it is reckless to call for mesh women to band together, refuse any settlement offer that is not in the millions of dollars and the truth will prevail. While critical mass may be important for bringing national attention to polyproplene use, that is not applicable to individual mesh cases. . Each case stands on its own merits and these are best discussed with your lawyer. I think it is also important to know that in reality, it is very difficut to get another attorney if you are already represented. If you refuse a settlement offer, then do find another to take your case, you will still owe your first firm the costs they have incurred representing your case. They may want that cash up front before they release your file to another lawyer, or they most certainly will place a lein on any award your second lawyer secures on your behalf. So, dont shoot the messenger but this is just the reality of a personal injury suit. MDLs are different from class actions in that each MDL plaintiff has an individual case. Each of you signed a contract with your attorney. Get it out and read it. It will have a clause about “firing ” them, what you authorize them to do ( the contract you signed more than likely stated that you give the attorney the right to negotiate a settlement on your behalf) and will most likely have a paragraph about what happens if they have to borrow money to carry your case through litigation as far as interest incurred.

So, remember mesh women, that your case is a unique and separate case from all others. You cannot make a decision such as vowing to refuse a settlement offer in a vacuum as a pledge of solidarity. Yes, we all want a national conversation about pelvic mesh to take place. I have reason to believe that there are physicians trying to put together a best practice policy for post mesh pain, so there is a momentum in the medical community. But, as far as your particular mesh case, you signed a contract for legal representation. While we are clear about the demands we have on them, they in turn have expectations detailed in your contract. Be informed instead of surprised…..

• kitty says:

I’ll try like hell to get there.

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@still standing yes I had to take the settlement because J&J caused my original problem. So AMS was not found as a defective product for my situation. That is why I was in a bottom tier. If I didn’t settle I could not go after the monies set aside for the Extraordinary Injury Fund.Which by the ladies you have to apply for that on your own. I took that offer only to move on to the EIF next phase for allocations. But for J&J they are gonna pay and I will reject that offer.BTW I got the best law firm in the country and they are looking out for my best interest and legal advice. They return my calls and let me know how to handle my own situation cause every mesh, every women, every Dr and every Pharma Co is different. I am going for blood for what J&J has done to myself and all my sisters.Especially this one is for Joan Budke may she rest in peace that they aren’t going to Piss on all of us that are still alive and able to fight. JUST SAY NO AND IF WE ALL SHOW OUR SUPPORT IN WV THEN THEH WILL GET THE PICTURE. DONT WORRY ABOUT MY DECISIONS I GOT MY ATTORNIES TO HELP ME WITH MY LEGAL ADVICE. MY QUESTION TO YOU STILL STANDING, YOU GONNA BE IN WV? I’LL BE THERE STANDING ARM IN ARM WITH MY MESH SISTERS!

• Still Standing says:

Mamohio….Exactly, every woman, every case is different and decisions need to be made Individually with the input of legal team and family members. You had a very valid reason for taking the AMS settlement. There may be women who read this who have their own personal reasons for taking a settlement offer from J&J. They should not be considered traitors to the MAM movement for doing so. I have not dealt with that manufacturer, so all I can advise, as you echoed that every situation is different. I get the feeling that you may think that I (!and other women) who dont go to the WV trial are less supportive than the women who do. Who judges how authenitcly damaged any of us are? I would hope that especially in this forum we should not have to justify why we hurt, where we hurt, or how much we hurt. We have plenty of practice doing that in the rest of the world. But, to answer your question, I will not be attending the trial. If that diminishes me in your eyes, so be it. However, I am teaching two classes on chronic pain management just today and I voluntarily work individually with women who have pelvic pain on an ongoing basis. We all have different strengths and channel them in different directions. My mission since the mesh was to impact women with pelvic pain. i think I have done that and will for quite some time. You are a great people organizer . We need each woman’s contribution, whether that is a silent daily prayer or a march on the steps of the supreme court. Each is valued in my eyes. As we diminish others and their pain, we diminish ourselves.

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

God bless you still standing and what you are contributing however you feel makes you help the awareness about mesh. Still would like to meet you someday was hoping to see you at least support on the first day Apr 11 in WV. Be nice to know you a little better. Would you like for me to put a message on a poster board for you at the rally? I sure would like to see you there, need all the women or men to support the awareness side of this rally. For me that’s what its all about. AWARENESS and to support these 37women. Let me know if you would like a message on a poster board Ill make it for you if you cant make it.

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

@still standing it would be great if we could see a video on how you are helping mesh victims with chronic pain? Since a lot of us cant get that kind of treatment where we live or even be able to drive somewhere to find that. We could use your knowledge on how to channel that pain in the way you do it. Then you could benefit all of us women who maybe cant or afford that treatment. I’m sure Jane would put a video from you here on this site or if you have a website we could go when we are out of options and no money. I’m sure you prob don’t charge for this since it is your way of supporting mesh victims. Is this something you could help all of us learn? I would love to rechannel my pain somewhere else along with the rest of us 100,000 mesh victims worldwide and that number is climbing. I think we all would like to know more about your chronic pain techniques. It would be a tremendous help!

37. Sam kadi says:

My wife passed away after numerous surgeries and final partial removal of the mesh.

It was the constant pain and loss of hope that took her life at the end. she was 59 and suffered for 6 years.

This settlement is really a JOKE. JNJ can go to hell as far as I am concerned because they brag on how much money they can make each quarter regardless of respect to human life and dignity.

I’m so sorry Sam- I certainly hope you have good representation.

• anonymous says:

I’m so very sorry. I wish I had words of comfort. Just know that God knew what she was going through maybe you just decided enough was enough. She’s at peace now. That is why the rest of us have to fight hard to make sure that her dad and Linda’s death doesn’t go unanswered for. I’m not saying let’s become vigilantes or anything like that. Let’s make these people pay for what they did to us. The total cost of what they did to us not pennys thrown at us. Because in the end of weeks of these settlements were all going to be thrown into poverty for something that we had no idea what’s going to happen to us. I hope that you make J&J pay for the cost of her life which is actually priceless but I’m sure there’s a nice big figure they can come up with the greedy people. I wanted to say something else but I’m trying to be the best Christian I can and its hard in times like this when we hear of such a senseless tragedy and loss of life all in the name of the almighty dollar.

• anonymous says:

I’m so sorry I wish I had words of comfort for you. The only thing I can tell you is that God knows how much she suffered and maybe he just said enough was enough. She’s at peace now. But that’s just another reason that none of us should stop fighting to get paid for what we deserve. I certainly hope that you get paid for the cost of a life which is actually priceless but I’m sure there’s a nice big figure out there that they can come up with for you to help you go forward. You’re right these settlements are jokes and slaps in the face they took our lives in so many different ways. most of us are broken and deserve so much more then they are offering us. For those of you who are hurt severely I hope that you make these companies pay you for everything that you have lost. The only problem is there’s some things that can never be replaced even by a dollar. It’s sad to believe that our society has been broken down to not caring if we hurt somebody all in the name of being able to make a dollar

• Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

I’m really sorry about your loss of your wife. We all have that pain and worry about how long before our life ends. Please let me know her first name I will put in her memort on my poster board at the rally on WV if you would like me too. God bless.

• Kitty says:

Sam My sympathy goes out to you. I can’t imagine the pain of losing a beloved spouse. Please go after what your wive is entitled to

38. Mamohio (sad & disappointed) says:

PLEASE REMEMBER WOMEN THAT WE ARE NOT HAVING A RALLY OR PEACEFUL PROTESTS. IT IS ABOUT MAKING ALL WOMEN AND MEN TO BE AWARE AND EDUCATE THEMSELVES BEFORE GOING THRU HERNIA, SUI, POP WHAT IS GOING IN YOUR BODY AND ALSO THE REMOVAL DECISIONS IF YOU ARE ALREADY A VICTIM. DONT JUST DO WHAT ONE PERSON SUGGESTS. READ UP, GET REFERRALS FROM OTHER PATIENTS, FIND OUT THENAME OF THE PRODUCT AND THE MANUFACTURER, HAS THERE PRODUCT BEEN APPROVED OR RECLASSIFIED AS A LEVEL 3 BY THE FDA. MY LAWYER SAID THE FDA RECLASSIFIED THE PELVIS PROLAPSE MESH TO A LEVEL 3 BUT NOT FOR SUI BECAUSE THE GYNECOLOGY ASSOCIATION FOUND IT TO BE THE “GOLD STANDARD”. I CALL IT BULLSHIT CAUSE MINE ERODED FROMNMY URETHRA INTO MY VAGINAL WALL. BUT THE FDA IS NOT RECLASSIFYING IT. ANY WOMEN WHO IS A VICTIM OF THE MESH USED FOR SUI NEEDS TO FILE AN FDA COMPLAINT. OBVIOUSLY WE WERENT PROACTIVE ENOUGH TO FILE ENOUGH REPORTS TO CONVINCE THEM. SO PLEASE THIS RALLY IS NOT JUST ABOUT JUSTICE IT IS ABOUT AWARENESS CAUSE IT IS STILL BEING USED. BUT WE ALSO NEED MONETARY MONIES TO KEEP US HEALTHY ANDNOT CONTINUE DOWN THE PATH OF DESTITUTE AND POVERTY. THEY WILL PAY CAUSE KARMA IS A BITCH! PLEASE BE IN WV ON APR 11. WE NEED TO BE SEEN AND HEARD AND SUPPORT OUR CAUSE AND EACH OTHER. GOD BLESS!

39. stopmeshimplants says:

Sam, Please accept my condolences. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your wife. Your experience is my worst fear. I often wonder if I will die prematurely from this mesh. How tragic for you and your family. These pharmaceutical companies and their lawyers have no regard for human life. They continue to promote and sell these mesh kits and pretend no suffering or complications occurs. Tragic. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

40. Beverly Mar says:

Ask your atty if the hospital where the implant was done has a lien on your case also. They don’t want to tell you and will dance around it.

41. […] J&J offered its second pelvic mesh settlement of $112 million to 1,000 women in September of 2016. See coverage here.  […]

42. michelle says:

My mom had the mess surgery when it first came out thinking this was the answer to her prayers. Little did she know that within 2 to 3 months after the surgery things would go back to the way they were and continue to deteriorate. She dealt with leakage, worry, unable to be intimate with my dad, raw from wearing pads and disposable under garments. Her life change was dramatically and she suffered in silence until all the news came forward about the mesh causing other problems. My mother died in a fatal car crash in 2014 and always told my sisters and myself that she would never live to see any of the money. I pray everyday for all those women who have suffered and still suffer because of this so called miracle cure for leaking bladders. My mother was a wonderful person who was full of life and love. After the surgery she would limit her road trips to just 30 minutes because of the leaking and being continually wet. I also suffer with Stress Incontinence. But no way will I ever go through what my mother did. Please know that I was the one who took my mother to and from her visits before surgery and afterwards for follow up care. There is not an amount great enough to pay for all the pain and agony she went through. My siblings and I are awaiting any word on her suit and pray for a generous outcome.

I’m so sorry for your loss…. Please put in writing that you do not want mesh (polypropylene, biologic, composite) before any surgeries and have the doctor sign off on it and make sure it is safe in someone’s hands if you ever undergo anesthesia. Just as a form of insurance…. Again, I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother.

43. Karla says:

I am in this settlement and I refused the insulting offer. It is based on number of surgeries you have had, it’s a tier system. No punitive damages at all. I hope everyone refuses. Each case is different but no one will end up with much of a settlement after all costs are paid. If you’ve not had surgery you can take the pitiful $8000 they offer. I think we all should say “Screw you Jihnson and Johnson, our ruined lives are worth more than that “. Instead of paying legal fees they should be compensating the women they knew there product would harm…a lifetime of pain and suffering. 90 percent have to agree to this settlement…don’t be one of them. We are injured but not stupid or gullible. JUST SAY NO!!!!

One Trackback