J&J Execs Fight Deposition Request to Explain Mesh Particles in Packages

Ethicon mesh and blue particles

Ethicon mesh and blue particles

MND, June 26, 2015 ~ According to a filing in a West Virginia federal court last week, Johnson & Johnson objects to the document production request its executives must bring to their August 5th oral and videotaped deposition.

Last month the healthcare giant was told to have its designated executives from its Ethicon division along with requested documents, to be present in Morristown, New Jersey, to answer questions about mesh particles found in pelvic mesh packaging and the company’s response to the finding.

What did the company know and when did it know it;  what communications ensued about the cost and scope of a possible recall; what lots would be recalled; what science exists to assure the safety of mesh that appears to be disintegrating, even before it’s removed from its packaging.

Christy Jones

Christy Jones

The 15 page motion, filed by Christy Jones, of Butler Snow LLP, Ethicon’s lead attorney, says the documents requested contain personal and private information. To release them might violate HIPPA the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996. Additionally, many of the documents are attorney work product therefore privileged.

Sources suggest that if a CC to a lawyer is added to any email it could be put into the attorney work product category,  therefore it could be argued it’s out of reach.

Jones argues to the court that the document production is overly broad and ambiguous, not relevant, unduly burdensome and oppressive.  It was filed in U.S. District Court in the Southern District of WV where 75,000 pelvic mesh cases have been consolidated in multidistrict litigation before Judge Joseph Goodwin.

Judge Joseph Goodwin

Judge Joseph Goodwin

Here is Ethicon Doc #1627 filed July 6, 2015.

Here is last week’s story and background:

The company executives will be asked why Ethicon’s TVT (transvaginal tape), including the TVT-O mesh (transobturator tape) has had a problem with mesh particles and possible foreign matter found in the packaging material and why the company issued assurances of safety to doctors if the degrading products are used in patients.

The complaints began to come in from a hospital in Taiwan in July 2010. Doctors found boxes with tiny blue particles in the mesh product packaging and sent it back to the company’s New Jersey headquarters. In all, ten boxes of TVT-O were returned to the company.

Darlene Kyle from Ethicon told the J&J rep from Medical  Taiwan, the corporate communications department of J&J in Taiwan. “No this is not normal nor do we recommend using the product.”

But later she asked Ethicon’s headquarters for a “formal letter saying it’s safe” that would be shown to implanting physicians.

Meng Chen of Ethicon, who was in charge of customer complaints, writes in an October 5, 2010 email, “After careful review of the available information in the files and the information provided from the manufacturing site, the Business Unit Medical Director and I feel that the possibility for the tiny tape fragments observed in these five cases to cause adverse consequence in a patient, a device administrator or others should be considered remote.  The presence of tiny tape fragments in the product package is not expected to change the product safety profile.”

What was the scientific basis for that conclusion plaintiffs’ attorneys will want to know.

The deposition request was filed by Tom Cartmell of Wagstaff and Cartmell of Kansas City, Missouri. The Notice to Take Oral Depositions was filed June 25 in the multidistrict litigation before Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, West Virginia. The Ethicon MDL is 2:12-md-02327.  This was Document #1609, #1609-1, #1609-2.

mesh particles we do not recommend usingWhat Did the Company Know, What Did They Do

Attorneys will ask the corporate representatives how many complaints they received of particles or foreign material in TVT packaging or products;  for any correspondence regarding whether the meshes were safe to use; communications regarding the cost of any potential recall of any TVT lot;  the actual letter supplied to doctors that the product is safe to use; the scientific analysis of patient consequences of particles or foreign matter that might inadvertently be implanted or  break off in the human body; communications regarding the  returned products and any testing or analysis conducted on the products; documents concerning the cleaning of equipment used for cutting, packaging or sterilizing said mesh products and any inspections that should have occurred, among other questions.

There is no word yet on who Ethicon will send though Meng Chen has appeared on behalf of Ethicon at trial.

Ethicon makes pelvic meshes as a division of Johnson & Johnson. At this writing the company is facing 26,851 product liability lawsuits (here) consolidated in this one federal court as well as cases filed in state courts around the country. Women complain the permanent implants  have left them in pain, with chronic infection and  many are unable to walk or to work.  The mesh was originally used to address incontinence and many complain it was ineffective in that regard.

J&J has more defective product cases than another of the seven manufacturers, yet it has offered no mass settlements to date, just individual settlements during or before trial.

Particles in Blisters

Attached to this filing is an Ethicon publication “Particles in TVTO Blisters” which refers to packaging, issued by the company office in Switzerland. It says “Since July 2010, 6 complaints have been recorded for the following issue: Foreign Matter in TVTO blisters.” It lists the foreign matter found in J&J (Ethicon) packing of TVT products sold to Taiwan and South Africa.mesh particles complaints

Women affected by pelvic mesh have also noted the breakdown of particles in packaging of products purchased online, even among meshes that are within their shelf life.

Mesh particles are thought to incite foreign body response to the polypropylene and may create biofilms that protect colonies of bacteria that continue to thrive even after mesh implant is removed.

Mesh is cut both by machine and by laser. The Swiss publications says “Particles belonging to the product in the blister (blue or white based on mesh being process) inferior to 0.4mm2 or 3mm is acceptable” while particles not belonging to the product are not acceptable. #

mesh particles

mesh particles acceptable

1. Jbroken says:

OMG!!!

2. Bejah B says:

Oh goodie, I get to be first. Foreign particles in the packaging you say? You mean like bits of Cheetos and/ or Wasabi? Yum! No problem for JnJ, they will just back talk their way out of it. Maybe they are working on mind control behind the velvet curtain….and that would explain why Congressmen, FDA employees and even judges say, “Yes master” whenever called on to do so.

I was sick when I read about the bacterial slime (I don’t mean Ethicon but it is true of them also) but this takes black comedy and fear to a whole new level. I can not help but think of a friend of ours who reported blue bits when she emptied her bladder. I ask, where is the outrage???? Has apathy become so epidemic that humanity is incapable of responding?

What if behaviors become commomplace over generations and become then imbedded in our genetic code? Think that is science fiction? Think again.

• annonynous says:

Yes I had a partial remove of the mesh in February prior to that during painful urination little bits came out during it. The obgyn that put it in was aware of this. Now I worry about what the rest of the mesh left in me is doing. I’m in constant pain. Seen primary Dr yesterday and starting pain management. Hope it all comes to a conclusion soon. J&J did us women wrong.

• Bejah B says:

Remembe that pain medication probably will not magically eliminate your pain. It will make it more bearable but take care because the brain produces some of these feel better chemicals and if you take too much of it via drugs the brain will produce less even while your body demands more. Take care to not allow yourself to get in that position. I am reminded of a kindly Gastroenterologist who told me the best option is to take enough pain medication to cover about 50% of your pain (or 60%) and use other pain management treatments to cover more…and that means refocusing your brain (Remember “mind over matter”), creative visualization (picture the bits being vacummed up by the “good guys” in your body, the T cells, etc.), swim, go shopping, yoga, etc. It really does work. Also, naturally the more effective the pain medication is the more it seems to cost, alas. Most important for me was learning that there does not seem to be a magic pill that will cover you at 100% unless you are dying and bedridden. We pray that does not happen for a long time.

• Barb says:

Bejah so who do you think JNJ will have to explain these things to??? The FDA?? This appears to be more and more on the criminal road! Who were these bits and pieces found by?? Was this found when shipped? Was this just a random bx that was opened and what about these people who work in the manufacturing mills, production? Appears to me that JNJ that the more revealed about this horrendous subject should consider giving the proper settlement and I wonder if there will be a criminal investigation! That now cannot be in their control I don’t care how much money you have you can’t buy off criminal investigation!! Ok Judge Goodwin it appears that after they which I believe was intent just happen to lose files against them from probably thousands of woman now this is deff proof your products are defective……………..thank god I don’t have them!!

• Teresa says:

Dear Anonymous – Please consider joining up with one of the mesh support groups. You need to consider getting this mesh out of you before it does more damage. Please! It took me 5 years to get it removed in it’s entirety and I am left with severe pain constantly because of this horrible mesh product. Dr Raz from UCLA or Dr. Vironikis, St. Louis, Missouri. God bless you. Concerned in Texas.

• Betty says:

I know what your living with its been happening to me for over 4 yrs tg your doctor hasn’t just said your seeing things or its all in your head, for sure it can’t be in 78,000 womens minds and we all can’t be blind can we?

• Barb says:

Did your partial removal of mesh help?? I have been bleeding off and on the doctor says it’s the mesh eroding!! Will find out July 15 when I’m scheduled for a laproscopy and remove what mesh she can!!

3. Anonymous says:

Wow.

I was told by my urogyno surgeon that the TVT mesh she removed from me; in several surgeries was blue and very difficult to remove. Like a vine growing through a chain link fence.

Looking at these pictures makes me sick.

Jane,

Any more links on this? Does it have anything to do with the J&J Ethicon cases in Bergen county court? Which BTW: news reported that the current judge was nominated by the President for a higher position. Anyone know the new judges name?

Don’t know but likely this would apply to ALL TVT meshes and would form the basis for litigation, no matter where. They use the same experts, same evidence. Many law firms share this info. Why reinvent the wheel if one doesn’t have to?

4. Anonymous says:

FYI to all:

The NJ Mesh case list has been updated.

The calendar says the following

Calendar of Events

The next Case Management Conference will be held on Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. before Honorable Brian R. Martinotti in Courtroom 359 (Rotunda Building). Liaison Counsel for GYNECARE shall report at 9:30 a.m. and for BARD at 10:45 a.m. for a pre-conference meeting.

5. Deanna says:

The more I hear the more I get scared! What’s next with j&j I wish I never had this put in! I hate it! Drs act like your making up stuff, don’t understand don’t help ,surgery to help incotence no change,J&J isn’t the company I loved using there products what more secrets are they hiding shame on you J&J for padding your wallets with all of our pain and sickness man up and do the right thing admit your wrong and some how take your punishment and let us all move on somehow!!!!

• Bejah B says:

That will never happen Deanna, for one thing they are in too deep. And they believe no one can touch them. A few million dollars, in truth, is nothing, but the principal (What principal?) is everything, Establishing a precedent is important, turning the tide is important to them, especially now, and harder to do the more losses there are as it tends to follow the laws of physics…a body falling will continue to fall until it hits something, usually the pavement.

Life does not give up without a great struggle, even the life of a monster like JnJ. The likelihood may be that at some point they do settle before going over the cliff but not until there are no other options, then it/they will pull itself together like a dragon and continue with its practice of dining on villagers, especially young maidens. Sometimes analogies help us understand the complexities involved.

What the FED does not like, I would venture, is damaging worker bees (us)….if it were just old people they would really not care much but pay lip service. As soon as you stop working you are of no use to your beloved country unless you are well off and spend money, doing your duty to the economy. If you are old and poor do not expect the medical community to take very good care of you.

Just notes from my mind, from observation, from experience. You know that phrase “Golden years”…I used to think it was just some marketing phrasing, but now I realize it is a con….for most people there is no such thing as “golden years” unless they can create it themselves and as Americans we are expected to do that…but not everyone can be rich so what happens to the elderly poor who also worked all of their lives. Who cares about them? Did their country make a promise it could not keep or never had any intention of keeping.

Those running the country behind the scenes want to do away with Social Security and Medicare. My uncle who is a Bohemian accused me of being “On the dole” because I collected disability later in my career. This is how they think. He would say to me that I only had myself to blame for being so stupid and not researching all of this beforehand. I would say I have a right to trust my doctor, the medical center and my insurance company, and my nation. That trust was betrayed. They do not care if I die from this, none of them. I can not stand and sing “America the Beautiful” any longer, I am numb, my innocence shattered.

• barb says:

I am impressed by your insight and writing style.

• Barbara says:

your article is excellent. I will back you up here as an R.N. who worked with the elderly in Nusing Homes, Hospitals and with Hospice. I was caring for a patient under Hospice but living in a “ACLF”(Adult congregate living facility) with a Hospice wing. I had a patient I was trying to lead to lunch and she looked me straight in the eye and said “Honey, don’t believe that saying about your “Golden years, it is NOT true”! Especially those that wind up with Alzheimers Desease ! These companies have no soul, much less any sympathy for us. The only thing they care about is the almighty dollar. One day they will become a Senior Citizens Iif they live that long…KARMA will be waiting for them. Shame especially on Johnson and Johnson. I tell people all the time DO NOT buy their products. They are evil to the core. CEO makes over 8 million/year.He wants us to dissapear. I will NOT. And I hope somehow he gets fired.

• Barb says:

We are all here to support you Deanna!! We are all suffering the same injuries, Nice to meet you however sorry for the issues! I too went in for incontenence . What I came out with and injuries through the years were 2 defective devices, several bladder UTI infections, Septis, Organ prolapse, Cystitis, Bleeding, Mesh erosion, dropped bladder, 3 cystocopy , 2 urodynamics,sever pelvic, lower back pain, had to injections, major depression, days unable to drive, in counseling, the effect emotionally and mentally on my children wondering how long they have with me, fear of what my future holds mentally, physically and emotionally, blood in bladder, 2 revisions, and scared to death when i go July 15th 2015 to be schedule for my third surgery they are going t do laproscopy and cut out the mesh eroded in my uterous, God only knows what they will find when they go in!! Not too mention pain management. The surgeon stated in her records that I’m a difficult case and the chances f being 100% are highly undoubtful however the surgeon said she will do her best at relieving as much pain as possible. Most of my injuries are lifetime and I know once prolapse has started it will just continue. I have AMS my attorney’s are Fibich-Hampton and Aylstock, Witkin, Kreis and Overholtz. All I hear are things are moving along well, they do 300 cases at at time. However I’m going to call the paralegal it appears the questions I’m asking no one knows!! Like question are we also going to be awarded monies on not being informed properly?? What exactly are the categories of injuries really mean based on our injuries I now it has to do with what injuries we have sustained, what happens to those woman who have more then one defective from the same manufacturer, is pain and suffering going to be applied all I’m being told is that my attorney;s work very hard for their clients and have much empathy. Well that’s good to know but as my attorney’s WORK for me and even Judge Goodwin say’s communication is the key between Clients and their attorneys and we should be able to get all questions answered ! I also want and have the right to know the point system put on our injuries!! Of course not using my right name here and plan on contacting all MEDIA that is named when all the brave woman who went June 2nd!! Will continue until we all see 100% justice!!

6. Why in all this time hasn’t Johnson and Johnson and it’s big wig s been charged criminally. Sarbanes Oxley sounds right to me. It’s time these people are actually forced to admitt their guilt and culpability and pay for their greed! I am a mesh mess and I am so sick and tired of the game’s they are playing with my life! And why are they being allowed to make a mockery of the justice system! Trying two case’s a year? I would laugh if I had it in me because this is one of the biggest hurtful jokes perpetrated on women in our history! It’s pathetic.

Remember the destruction of documents that were under a litigation hold for mesh trials. They got a slap on the wrist. J&J claimed the destruction was unintentional…. it is very difficult to prove otherwise unless you have an email that says “Destroy these documents….” Benefit of the doubt goes to them.

• Bejah B says:

Again, I say I believe the Justice Dept could make a surprise visit to their corporate offices, the homes of executives, any storage facilities they may have, the apartments of girlfriends and gather data, computers, etc. and take it back to their labs and go through it. I believe they would find that data that was, what did they say, “accidently destroyed”. We all know that just because we delete something from our computers does not mean it is gone, not from our computers unless we “wipe disk” and in corporations generally only the IT staff has the authority to do that, but it would still remain on the server or be transferred to other media or another server. I guarantee you the data is not gone. Doesn’t it seem odd that one of the largest corporations in the world committed an “oops” of this magnitude? Does it not seem shocking that the response of the Federal Government was for all intents and purposes meaningless. I believe that makes the government an accessory does it not? Golly, I think I am finally at a loss for words! 🙂

• Dan says:

I am curious if Ethicon will be able to produce all the documents being requested. Didn’t they destroy numerous hard drives/emails of their employees?

If they cannot produce the documents, how will the courts handle this in conjunction with not letting the jurors know Ethicon destroyed so much evidence?

Dan

Good question. They claim there was a warehouse fire and documents were destroyed as well as a routine destruction when employees changed jobs, which happens frequently in that company. In fact if you want to cover one’s arse, its a good idea to move around folks, sort of plausible deniability….could it be?

• Barbara says:

Eric Holder, Dept of Justice has reviewed and spoken of the travesty done to women. However, Like most things he “talked” about, he did nothing about. He has resigned. Remember the Government bail out of Car Companies by our tax dollars? These companies were “Too BIG to fail” so they were saved. We are nothing to them except a HUGE Headache. Meanwhile I had a Doctor in Tallahassee who promised me the moon and was paid over 3 Thousand dollars for explant. After promising me a “unique” fix…that turned out to be more mesh, different company. HE LIED.

7. unmeshme says:

Yay!!! How about accountability??? It is about time !!!

8. Terri says:

This really isn’t a surprise since as soon as the sleeves are pulled back, the blue and CLEAR particles start falling everywhere. There is also clear woven into that blue sh*t. http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3528/gzXDgq.jpg

9. Aaron Leigh says:

Common sense perhaps? But if particles are broken off in the packaging, isn’t it possible, even LIKELY that particles would break off in the human body? Grrr. Good work Cartmell! He is great in court and so spot on in his research! So grateful he’s working on behalf of injured women!

10. K says:

I honestly don’t think anyone will do a thing to Johnson & Johnson. I have come to realize they run the show. They have all the money! Bla bla bla bla bla!!!!! Im so sick of this!!! It’s so sad it continues yet another 3 years. Justice….???? there will be no justice. Those with the most money wins. I just read the story of the poor girl trying to make it back to Dr v because she is so sick and I am so sad no one who can do anything cares. Is this really America???

11. K says:

i feel this way because we never heard anything about the DOJ investigation of J&J with mesh or hip replacement products. The FDA hasn’t made a move. It’s all get swept u see the rug. What happened to them for destroying all the emails and records? NOTHING!!!!

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

K this is exactly what they want for people to throw the towel in never just never I won’t give up until justice is done and it will be I know it’s been a long time I’ve been waiting four years for justice I’ll keep fighting I’m never going to give up sure they got lots of money but the truth ALWAYS comes out in the end

• K says:

Anonymous, I don’t plan to give up either but I do not think any of them will be punished with jail time. Those that can do something about it will continue to look the other way. FDA will do nothing!!! They are very very very rich and can fight a long long battle.

12. justme says:

oh my g-d

13. Anonymous says:

Does anyone know why this is being done in Morristown NJ and is a court involved?

Deposed means they must put into writing. So they have weeks to come up with more lies.

This overall does not shed a good light on Ethicon but the core question is WHY is the mesh still allowed to be used?

Also: the MDs involved in putting in this mesh on a daily basis: words and actions are far more than just a medmal lawsuit. They are in on it by continuing. This breaks their oath of not putting the patients health and safety first. If the gynos putting this Mesh in were held accountable somehow, it would break the vicious cycle.

You raise a good point – for those of you who do not know what a deposition is,,,, the plaintiffs’ attorney/ attorneys call the corporate representatives (whoever J&J decides to send, perhaps throw under the bus?) and they request they bring with them all of the documentation in preparation for the Q and A they will undergo ….. it can take hours with the attorneys asking them questions within the realm of the deposition motion. So no, they do not put anything in writing. They are usually videotaped, they sit there and have no idea what questions will be asked. It can be grueling and in many cases, it should be grueling.

• Bejah B says:

Jane, I remember having to do a Deposition in the trial to determine which parent should have custody of my son, me or his father. I was the plaintiff. I remember the questioning, of course, but no videotaping (Perhaps due to the type of case) however I do remember someone writing constantly. It is never comfortable but it is part of the routine.

14. Gail Whiteside says:

Johnson & Johnson, blessed me with this mesh. Who ever invented it should have to have this put in themselves.

15. Donald Rainey says:

With over $70,000,000,000.00 that’s 70 billion in sales for 1 year this year.NO ONE can tell me that Johnson&Johnson cannot pay out to the 70,000 woman what they should have to go on with there LIVES. Considering what they have to live with in there pain and suffering and the losses they have in there lives.COME ON JNJ MAN UP!!!

• Barb says:

Donald I so much agree with you!! However JNJ only have around 3 000 cases in the United States but that number as well as the other manufacturer;s may rise significly! However at the last meeting with Judge Goodwin when he met with Plantiffs attorney’s I think they who have not come o the table to settle but told the Judge of their plans just may have been a stall tactic to satify his proggressiveness on these cases!!

• nm says:

as a woman who has gone through what almost every woman on here has, why don’t we stop buying anything made by J and J

16. anna says:

What is this company thinking, if I was their consultant, I would advise them to hurry up and settle. Don’t they see that by stalling, more and more thing will come out against them, to the point that nobody would even want to look at their product. We should let our daughters know that they should never buy a product for their children with a logo Johnson and Johnson. I happen to be one of their sacrificial lamb, I not only have one, but two of their meshes implanted in me 2006, and 2011. I’ve had hip injections, back injections, and now having prudendal nerve injection. I have eczyma, my recent cytology test have been abnormal, waiting for the third result. I wonder if their families read the damage that have been put upon us. How could they wake up, and look at thieir daughters, their wife, and their mothers without feeling a sence fo remorse. This isn’t a fluke this is reality, this is our lives day by day for the name of J&J reputation.

YOu make a good point. The autoimmune issues are beginning to have scientific basis for inclusion in trial as well as the flaking disintegrating mesh. The longer they wait…..

• Barbara says:

Jane, I originally had the J&J mesh. It actually rotted inside me. It was replaced by a Doctor over 300 miles away because no one would touch me. The Jacksonville MD promised a”cowhide” type replacement after removal. I did not know this until my lawyers office got the “required name of replacement material”…Boston Scientific. Can we say adding “insult to injury:? OR violation of Doctor patient relationship? 7 years of my life wasted. I wish I had used a Pessary! #Liars/theives

• Bejah B says:

Anna, I am so deeply sorry for your suffering. Please continue to be brave. With regard to your rhetorical question about how JNJs officers can live with themselves…I do believe they have no conscience, no compassion, they are not able to comprehend what they have done in this regard. They are without emotion. They are like two dimensional creatures. And they do not think there is anything wrong with themselves. That is how they live with themselves. Pretty frightening isn’t it.

17. Donald Rainey says:

And how dare the US GOVERNMENT ALLOW THEM THE ABILITY TO GET AWAY WITH IT who would allow anyone to do this to women…..a mother….a daughter ….aunt….Grandmother. Does it matter that it is not YOURS.

18. Donald Rainey says:

All the mesh is….WEAVED FISHING LINE …and most of what JNJ MAKES HAS BEEN SUED OVER…..I DONT TRUST A SINGLE PRODUCT THEY MAKE.

19. Janis Urban says:

Are all Ethicon’s Mesh dyed blue. I know the TVT Exact is. I would imagine all would have this issue?

20. Tammy (KY) says:

Janis, I do believe they are blue and clear woven….I believe the blue fads to clear….makes it hard to see when messed to tissue and organs. Hope to see you in Nov lady.

Jane, Great report….thank you for all your work and kindness for us. God bless ladies….

• Bejah B says:

Tammy, I think I understand now what brain fog is because I can not remember what is in November or where Jane posted the list of events.

I wanted to put them all in Outlook but I have been consumed with dental problems, a flare up in my “volcanic vulva” (and I do not mean that in a good way), and these darn red spots…they do not itch or become crusted like fire ant bites (and I do not have bed bugs) or any allergies except that mother of all “allergies” to pelvic mesh which in my mind is not an allergy but something far more insidious. Sometimes they hurt a little, they fade away and then return not necessarily in the same formation. I have also, for the record, experienced something very strange….on the inside of my ankle at the arch….the feeling like that spot was on fire or had third degree burns but it does not and then the sensation will go away. BTW if you ever have the weird feeling that water is running down your leg but it is not that has to do with your spine as I recall, I have had that also post implant.

Continuing to work on the symptom list for ya’all. It will help if you keep detailed notes so we can go back to the database and add in more information later….it would be good to have that option. At some point I will ask Jane to review it and if she feels it is helpful and worthy hopefully we can post it in such a way that everyone who feels comfortable doing so can enter additional symptoms, etc. Then we can do calculations and get a general idea of how many have what symptoms, for how long, what developed in the aftermath of those symptoms, what mesh they have implanted, and get some percentages, see some patterns that may prove very helpful to us. We need provable data, that is, for example, one of my doctors (actually several) concluded that the mesh was causing my symptoms…that is documented. That is the kind of data that will hold up. It is not enough to know the truth. We must be able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt at least I think that is how it works.

So Tammy what is in November (Let me guess: A trial.

• Tammy (KY) says:

I understand Bejah. Oh I really understand. I love reading your post. Your a box full of info. Nov 2, in WV Judge Joseph Goodwin has 29 J&J trails. YEAH!!!? I’m so excited. I believe Ms Jane A. Will be there….I’m praying she comes. I’ve been reading this site for 4 years. Be nice to meet her. Without this site I would leave in the dark. Would love to meet you Bejah. I met so WONDERFUL women in WV June. God blessed me with some awesome mesh sisters……GLORY Always goes to my Holy Father…..

• Bejah B says:

Tammy, Most everything seems to happen in the east which is just too far for me due to the expense. Those of us here are so thankful to all of you who attend important events…you are our eyes and ears. I wish we could purchase a movie camera and film these events and post them on UTUBE. I wonder how much it would cost to hire a film crew for a day or so. We need funding. I am going to think about this and talk to Jane about it. Film is a really powerful medium and if we can not get anyone to cover this then we should cover it ourselves. Thanks Tammy. We will meet one day, I just have this feeling there will be in the future a convention of the wounded of some kind, an annual thing. Even if we had to take over a campground and bring our sleeping bags, tents, travel trailers….we could have brake out sesions, have experts come and talk, have cookouts and all that.

• Tammy (KY) says:

Sounds good Bejah…..your tent has to be next to mine. I pray God brings us all together. I’m praying for you and understand your travel problems. I have camera and next time I will video. Take care sweetie.

21. Barb says:

Just wondering if any of you have developed intertestial cystitis after their implant?? Jane would that anything that could have come from the mesh/sling?? It’s treatable with medication, however you have to watch what you eat. This is a life long disease.I was diagnosed in 2012 but they said I had had it for 3 years……………one sign is blood in urine from the irritation of the bladder. Was on bedrest since Monday Heavy bleeding and incredible pain, My surgeon said it’s the mesh eroding more, Surgery to remove as much mesh coming up in July. My urine looks like pieces of tissue with particles this has happened 4 times,

• Bejah B says:

Barb, I believe you will find that many of us have been given that diagnosis. As an example, because I started feeling badly immediately after implant I began researching what could be wrong with me. I never had these symptoms before in my life, particularly as a constellation. I knew something was wrong. The implanting surgeon never returned my emails, and neither the surgeon or the medical center ever gave me that diagnosis until well after the implant and only after I proposed it….not knowing at that time anything about the horrors of this mesh, I found it noted in my (doctored) medical file listed as something I came in presenting with. Fortunately I had a copy of the original surgical file and comparison comfirmed what I already knew: They added it after the fact. So, yes many of us have received that diagnosis one way or another. My guess is all of us experienced the IC symtoms post implant and that IC is therefore a probable “side effect” of implantation with this petro derivative. Remember too, that other substances are added to the mesh during processing so we no doubt carry a whole petri dish (universe) of potentially pathogenic substances. That is my personal opinion but I expect others will concur. Hope things go well for you (I know “well” is relative.

• Barb says:

Thank you Bejah!! I can’t fathon the idea of what this s also doing to other organs! The Doctors said there is no answere as to why this happens so after my own research there appears to be some kind of connection,

• Bejah B says:

Barb, Remember it is best to consider what I say and what most everyone says as hearsay until you can confirm it or have enough concurring remarks to allow you to feel comfortable with your conclusion as a working theory. There is so much we do not know, all of us, doctors on the front lines, researchers, medical facilities, fellow victims….there is a lot of data (and fur) flying so remember what they say, you can not believe everything you read on the Internet! Thanks for your work on this.

• Barb says:

Thanks again BEJAH!! I like you do research all and try to have as much knowledge and your so true no one knows what effects we will have lifetime!!! I just wanted anyone to know on this website as per my attorney today for those of us who have AMS their goal is to review 1000 cases a day they want AMS clients settled by October 2015!! Don’t qoute but that was told by the parralegal.The other manufacturer are starting to negotiate so for you other’s who have other manufacturer’s except JNJ the other’s are becoming in litigation with attorneys so good news for you!! They expect that since JNJ is not even starting talks of settling so she believes that the judge will step in and mandatory them to settle out!!! As far as the original tiers that were published and no fault of Jane DISMISS all those facts!! The Special Master in place is and has seen court cases on the MDL cases plus he’s very experienced!! If anyone needs further surgery and it’s all ready noted by your doctor that is also going to be a factor along with all injuries that is clarified in your doctor notes!! This is where we all need to step up ADVOCATE for yourselves, obtain all information at every doctor visit, send in all medications prescribed for mesh injuries so I after talking to the paralegal where Erin Copeland works for this law firm!!! The only thing I didn’t get answere’s to was what happens if we clients have more then one defective device, and category’s> That would be difficult to determine since there are many factors. They will also go back to how old you were when original operations. So the key word is truly communication with your law firm I have no issues…………praying mesh family

• K says:

What we say is not hear say it is what we have lived. It is our experience not what we have heard someone say. Don’t have mesh implanted ever!

22. Karen says:

I am go smacked I am

Due this operation in the next month here in the uk my gynie doc is telling me it’s perfectly safe and no side effects wow now I’ve stumbled across all this info through a very good friend who has passd all this info Onto me

THANK GOD she has… I will be demanding why my dr is telling me it’s ok and safe when it’s ovbiously not and I very much doubt I will be having this operation now

I personally don’t think there would be 100,000 lawsuits if the procedure and polypropylene implant was perfectly safe. Sounds like you need a second opinion and even a third. Let us know where you are in the UK….

• Barb says:

Karen I know that not all are defective however I would certainly ask if there are other options for you!! I would never risk my life again as many of us wouldn’t had we were all given proper information!! This MESH was not made for human use!! Even the TVTO_TVT are causing sever health issues. Please read all information and HIGH RISK of what these products do to the human body!!

• Barb says:

Karen ask your doctor about BURCH procedure!!! No mesh used……….

• Bejah B says:

Barb, Thanks for all the info.! Good job lady!!!”Knowlwdge is power” (KM). Common knowledge I guess.

I have to laugh. Just to make my life more interesting I was working in the garden and looked down at my hand and a carpenter ant was biting me hard between my thumb and for finger…I thought I must have accidently hurt him so gently placed him on a rock but he did not want to let go (with his teeth!). I have been bitten before and no big deal…sort of like an accupuncture needle. But this was different. I felt the pain immediately. Far worrse than a bee sting. I got the stinger out. My whole hand started swelling and these sort of red welts developed. I wrapped it in ice pack after cleaning and applying Benadryl. Went to bed. Woke midnight and redid the bandaging. The swelling was worse. Bandaging NOT too tight. In the morning the swelling was halfway to my elbow but the swelling in my hand had gone down a little. Now after treating it all day it is still swollen but much better and finally the infernal itching has gone away. I just washed my hair and I was sitting out on the deck in the afternoon sun looking at my poor hand. The red bumps were flat but looked now like bright red blood spots. Very odd. I can not help but wonder if thanks to the mesh my body is more sensitive now to such things. If that is true then those of us who have pre-existing allergies, for example to bee stings, must be extra careful. I think there is something you can keep with you in your handbag to keep you from going into shock if you are bitten. I know this is a little far fetched but we can not afford to discount anything. Take care all,

23. Tammy (KY) says:

Karen, please take time to read all information on this website….ALL MESH……ALL harms your body. Don’t allow ANY doctor to talk you into this. Please be WELL informed before you speak to your doctor. God bless……

• Bejah B says:

And remember, as shocking as it is, there have been reports where the physician has been told emphatically to not use mesh and has done so anyway. If you can wait I would wait a year or two, otherwise I might have the Burch method (the old way) which is what I thought I was getting save for the robotics. In my case they talked up the robotics to distract me from the implant. If you must do this now go to the best surgeon, research carefully first, even if you have to pay more, go to the best you can. Make them earn your trust, rather than going in with great respect and a trusting nature. We can no longer trust doctors in general. If they tell you they did not know, you tell them they should have known. Your best chance for an outcome you will be content with is to go to an expert in explant of the mesh, have the work done by someone with considerable experience, and have it done either by a Urologist or a Urogynecologist, NOT by an OB/GYN. Someone mentioned asking to have a neurologist present, preferably someone you have a relationship with, as there can be a lot of issues with nerves. Please let us know how you are doing. Praying for you.

• Barb says:

Thank you BEJAH!!! Since no one has any idea what holds for us MESH EMPOWERED WOMAN we must research all alternitives!! I have become quite in tune with so many issues we all have!! You make a good point, maybe that’s got to do with the good ole immune system!! Very scary to think the littlest thing could cause such issues!! I went to my doctor today for injection and found out that as of October 1 2015 they no longer will be taking clients who have any government insurance!! So unless I can pay $$$ then no more faucet for me. Darn Government@@Soon many PCP’s will be doing the same!! I knew they didn’t pay all services but was in aw to find out they only pay about 10% to our doctor’s!! So I’m glad there is a lien company involved our lien’s for medical procedure’s should not be lot’s of money!! The sad part is that our healthcare may become an issue down the road if this becomes a nation wide set of what’s to come!! I’m going to follow, share all information I can on any issues and will continue to fight for ALL MESH WOMAN WHO NEEDS THE RIGHT COMPENSATION@

I’m wondering if that policy is specifically for mesh injured patients. Many docs don’t want anything to do with that fisaco – they might be blamed, they don’t know what to do to help, the compensation from insurance is poor…. the list goes on.

• Barb says:

Jane it possibly could be however the amount of money and the waiting time these doctors get paid is so low. This also a ripple effect from the President , congress and our Govenor. My whole thing is without having good educated doctors what’s going to happen down the road.possibly having to travel out of state to find the correct doctors who are understanding the MESH???

• Bejah B says:

I went to see my Urologist last week. The last time I saw him a couple of months ago he said insistently and in a sort of panicked tone that he was not my savior, that he could not make this go away. I had been telling other doctors how wonderful he was, that is all. This time he did not even examine me and as I said elsewhere, he remarked that I had told him I was going to see Dr. Blavis in NYC and he said he would be a good person to see as he is the best in the world. I reminded him that I must pay Dr. Blavis upfront and can not do that until settlement or trial. He would not even examine me and seems to be taking the position that if he treats me for Intersistial Cystitis that will help. He gave me a prescription for a medication that may help with those symptoms. If anything, the mesh is causing IC symptoms and may even cause IC as a secondary disease, one of many according to some on the front lines. Such is the fear in physicians about this and I do not think it is just the fear of being afraid of being sued…I think they are afraid of not being able to help and suffering the pain of guilt. We must remember that there are still many physicians who went into medicine to help people.

24. Kitty says:

This is related to the blue green very fine filiment (doesn’t break when you pull it off with a twizzer—curly) that one sees on a wash cloth every now and then after shower. I wonder what it is?

• Bejah B says:

Didn’t we decide it was some poorly configured packing material that somehow goi into the mesh that was implanted in people?

Bejah

no we did not. those are mesh particles flaking from the product. The pictures are clear.

• PLC says:

Jane,

Do you know if this evidence of mesh particles in boxes and packaging can be used as evidence in upcoming TVT trials.

Also the emails that are shown above can they be used as evidence especially since J&J insists most of their documents were accidentally destroyed??

I am surprised the courts keep letting them get away with do much. J&J seems to really have a lot of leniency with the courts

It seems the plaintiffs are always made to go up against J&J with their mouths shut, evidence sealed , hands tied behind their backs and the truth not be told

🙁

I’m not a lawyer but I suspect it could be presented at trial. But you must determine that it is harmful. The other side will argue- what’s the harm with a few specs. You must be able to answer definitively…. of course, these are good questions for a lawyer, not one who plays one online… LOL

25. justme says:

bejah, your mesh was put in by the Da Vinci? What year?

• Bejah B says:

JM, Why do you ask? Actually for me they used two methods for reasons I can not discuss due to the ongoing litigation but if you are more specific maybe I can help you. Hope you understand.

26. Bejah B says:

I finally had my annual mammogram and bone density tests (the later every two years). The technicians knew nothing, NOTHING about this issue that has so profoundly impacted tens of thousands of lives. When I left they had been informed. We need all of you to do that where ever you go in the world. Tell other women. They may think you are crazy. They may think you are exagerating. They may not seem interested. Tell them anyway. They need to know and we need for them to know.

I will be very interested in seeing the report from my bone density test. If I am right the breakdown of the mesh and the release of toxins into the body, now still theoretical, will have an adverse effect on our bones as it has with our teeth, at least in some cases. Please come forward if you have personally experiened unusual dental issues.

BTW they measured my height. I was always 5’9″. Now it seems I am 5′ 8″. This may be due to my spine and have nothing to do with the mesh issue, or it may. For now we need to track measurements, keep records of changes, etc.

Thanks people.

Bejah

Shrinking is normal with age…. I’ve lost an inch or so….also lost bone density and I dont have mesh…. An unfortunate aspect of aging …

• Bejah B says:

The bright side: Now I can wear 3″ heels and not tower over everyone in the room! I may not be able to walk in them but the psych effect is valuable. I have learned to be grateful for everything. If I wake one morning and I am 5′ 3″ then I will be worried. 🙂

27. justme says:

My unusual dental issues are now into the thousands of dollars. I have suffered so much with teeth and gum issues since receiving mesh. Most recent issues, I had an infection one month ago with open sores & horrible pain, which took forever to heal on the gum line. Now have to have surgery to correct, more pain and suffering. And I now have pneumonia. The infection had to have caused it, and Amoxicillin did nothing. The pain in the back of my head, my neck, shoulders and back is indescribable.

Dear Mesh Companies,

Please please settle. We are so sick. Please do the right thing so we can get the proper medical care we need. Thank you.

• Bejah B says:

Dear JM, I am so deeply sorry about your pain which I know hits on so many levels. Cyber hug….thank you for posting though because you are warning thousands of women to take the best care of their teeth that they can, to watch for problems, to write them down and to see their dentists. They will probably be met with the same sort of denial that they are met with when visiting physicians but I would tell them, press on, do not take no for an answer. Also many of them do not know what we are talking about or feign ignorance. Tell them of the UCLA study. I have found that there can be a certain level of competitiveness in these studies because when a study group meets with success, that is irrefutable proof or the golden ring it brings the institution a certain level of prestige and we are a very competitive species, to say the least. If the defendants would put the kind of money into studying these problems as they spend defending themselves we might get somewhere a lot sooner and save lives, and immeasurable pain and suffering not just for victims, but for their families, suppot groups, and others. So thank you for your courage even in the midst of your pain and suffering. Methinks you are AWESOME. Be sure to tell your attorney even though they are generally focusing on other points in these cases now they need to be aware of everything that develops. Remember tears are healing, a release, and not a sign that you are sinking.

28. justme says:

Barb says:

July 9, 2015 at 12:59 pm

________________You are on target. It is worse than we fear.

Today, I actually feel like I am not going to make it much longer. Not being a debbie downer, but we know our bodies and I am so sick now. It has been months and months and months of sickness and complications. I am so tired..

• Bejah B says:

JM, There are days when I feel I am dying but since I have not really died before, or have no memory of it, how can I know. I can intuit it I guess…to a degree. Please tell yourself “This too shall pass”. Be hopeful even when there seems no hope. Imagine a beautiful world. Imagine healing, if not wholly, then enough to carry on. We will learn more about how to manage this as we learn more about it. Remember the song “The sun will come out tomorrow” from Annie and sing it to your self. Singing is healing. Go to the zoo and talk to the animals. Have a hot fudge sundae. Sit in the sun. Walk on the beach, barefoot in the sand. Work on a memory book. Journal. If you think there in nothing in your mind, put a pen in your hand and a pad of paper in front of you and your mind will start writing or doodling. Don’t think about it, just do it. Stuff will come up and out from your unconscious, maybe at first it will be like nausea but it will change form and content…just let it happen, get it out. You can go on. How many of us have felt this way. Please people, tell JM of your experience with this dark passage. Change your perception, change your world. Did you know that literally your eyes are the only one of the senses that is a part of the brain…your eyes are the brain looking out at the world. I just learned that a few years ago. I thought it was stunning. The eyes take in what they see unfiltered by subjectivity. We say “The eyes are the windows to the soul”, the eyes are a way others can glimpse our soul) but more importantly perhaps, they are a way that we can see the Universe. Wow! Remember that with what you think you create or modify your world. Do not let the sorrow, the pain, the fear, the sense of hopelessness, betrayal, or exhaustion drain away your life. Bathe the cells of your body in golden light, in beautiful thoughts and visions of a beautiful world.

• Barb says:

Justme, Please don’t give up!! We all have these days as well some better then others! We also need to think of our family’s, friends and this great wonderful support page, I know i’s a struggle everyday and I’m so sorry for that however by you reaching out and telling us your intimate thoughts is the best thing you can do!! We can never really tell our fears to our family, friends people who have never had to endure such a thing would never understand. I have put myself in counseling which has been a great help! I used to think I had too much pride that I can handle whatever card is dealt my way, The mind can be a very interesting thing sometimes in m case I found if I didn’t seek help in time that my thoughts would be just like where you are, the biggest dark hole I knew was going to be the hardest ever for me to conquer. 3 steps forward 4 steps back so I knew if I didn’t seek help I may never see any light again! So I made that first call, that first visit and it has helped me out a great deal!! Never again will I allow my situation effect my mind consume me with such thoughts!! I just keep climbing and never look back you my friend must find the strength to do so also!!! You are so loved on this website, ALL MESH INJURED WOMAN ARE!! If you need to be told smile have a wonderful day, I can do that, I can also say to you that you are not alone, we all suffer with so many life alternations, so many what ifs, fear, doubting now whom we had so much trust in, if yu can get up and go to the couch do it, if it’s a nice day push to go outside, listen to music as it eases the soul, I have also learned that what ever more issues I’m being told I still will rise above and handle accordingly, I have my own beliefs in the church system and no God as I believe cannot/will not help! I hope you are in some kind of pain management although all pain cannot be taken away mine takes the edge off! One thing I have no not allowed for this mesh t do to me anymore is stay in bed! To me that’s what I wanted/choose to do for a long time it only made things seem more devestation. Rise above, tell yourself your beautiful you will continue to fight, find that courage and remember AT SOME POINT WE ALL WILL SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!! Peace/Love

29. Bejah B says:

Yo Jane…I for one am feeling hungry for another news item. Hope you are working on something for us. I used to take the NY Times and so looked forward to reading it every morning. Can’t afford it now. But I look forward to your news media in the same way, actually a more important way.

BTW I am not getting the newsletter unless one has not been sent for awhile.

Something happened the other day that I thought you all would get a chuckle out of….I was out in the community talking with some people and a woman said to me “Are you a doctor?”. I was talking about our favorite subject, mesh. I had to laugh. We are forced to inform ourselves to such a degree that others ask if we are medical professionals. And well we should. Hope everyone has a good week, That is how I measure time now, in days and weeks. We do what we can.

Bejah

Bejah- as I warned readers, when I have to divert my attention to other subjects to work to pay the bills, Mesh News Desk doesn’t get my full attention. I’m working on some stories though…. I’m never far away. You all can publish you know. I’d gladly take your stories if they are researched and linked to their sources…. thank you. ps- that’s why I suggested $3 a month from readers. then I could keep my attention here. thank you all who have donated.

• Bejah B says:

Jane, Thanks for the reminder. I am one of the guilty ones. I can at least contribute $5 a month and I will start doing that today.

Bejah

Please do not if you cannot… really do not create a hardship for yourself… its just those who pay $70 a month for a cell phone or for cable… for them $3 a month is not a hardship and with so many readers it would really help me stay on task.

30. Bejah B says:

This (see below) was part of what was written into the record at the Department of Justice website and updated last November. It concerns Johnson and Johnson criminal activity related to drug manufacture. Why is the DOJ not helping us in this way???? Advise you all read this and visit the DOJ website to lodge a formal complaint.

Bejah

“When companies put profit over patients’ health and misuse taxpayer dollars, we demand accountability,” said Associate Attorney General Tony West. “In addition to significant monetary sanctions, we will ensure that non-monetary measures are in place to facilitate change in corporate behavior and help ensure the playing field is level for all market participants.”

In addition to imposing substantial monetary sanctions, the resolution will subject J&J to stringent requirements under a Corporate Integrity Agreement (CIA) with the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG). This agreement is designed to increase accountability and transparency and prevent future fraud and abuse.

“As patients and consumers, we have a right to rely upon the claims drug companies make about their products,” said Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Civil Division Stuart F. Delery. “And, as taxpayers, we have a right to ensure that federal health care dollars are spent appropriately. That is why this Administration has continued to pursue aggressively – with all of our available law enforcement tools — those companies that corrupt our health care system.”

Department of Justice, Office of Public Affairs November 2014

31. Bejah B says:

Dear people, Those of you who think $3 Million would be “OK” (and this is NOT a criticism) read the following list of articles and tell me that Johnson & Johnson (and probably the other defendants?) are not thugs, criminals and “evil doers”: Most of you will be lucky to see a gross settlement of $300,000. Such is the power and influence of JnJ.

Those of you who think Judge Goodwin is a kindly old fellow I would ask to remember that he threw out the first plaintiffs case citing such nonsense as her counsel failed to prove a connection. As I recall he has also disallowed testimony. He is not on your side. He is not neutral IMHO. He was selected for a reason and he was not selected by you, nor was he selected by the good people of this nation. TRUST NO ONE.

Johnson & Johnson fined for violating Antimonopoly Laws

• Johnson & Johnson violated Consumer Law says Jury

• J & J violated Consumer Protection Law

• Johnson & Johnson to Pay More Than $2.2 Billion to Resolve Criminal and Civil Investigations

• J & J fined $2 Billion for False Marketing

• Johnson & Johnson fined $22 Million for Collusion

• Johnson & Johnson agrees to pay $2.2 billion in drug-marketing settlement – Washington Post

• Johnson & Johnson to pay $70 Million for Bribes, Kickbacks – to settle with SEC & DOJ

• Johnson & Johnson penalized $1.1 Billion by Arkansas Judge

• Johnson & Johnson fined for Bribing Doctors

• J & J Tylenol Plant plagued by Problems

• J&J trashed Records in Pelvic Mesh Injury Lawsuits

• J&J fined $16 Million Euros over Pay to Delay Deal

• J&J fined $50,000 for Mislabeled Products

• Johnson & Johnson settles Texas Medicaid fraud lawsuit for $158 Million

• Jury awards $257 Million in Johnson & Johnson Medicaid Fraud Case

• Johnson & Johnson hurts Women – petition for U.S. DOJ

• Johnson & Johnson illegally destroyed Transvaginal Mesh Evidence

Thank you for the overview Bejah…. truly this company has its share of bad karma amassing….. must take exception with your Judge Goodwin comments… he has his hands tied in a way… I believe him to be understanding of the scope of this problem. I also believe there is so much distrust already that the injured must find some common grounds among each other and those they deal with. Find a good lawyer, find a good doctor,,,, find friends who understand… Distrust is a disease in itself fostered by dissenters within the mesh community. I suspect they are funded by industry…. you are an example of the glue that women need to feel like they are part of a community again. Again, my opinion.

• Disgusted says:

Jane, I couldn’t agree more! We do NEED each other. Negative comments and attacks against those who are already on our side just works to divide. We are much stronger together. I know we’re all terribly hurt and it is so hard to keep a good attitude, but watching our words goes a long way. It is hard to tell where Judge Goodwin stands, I’ve seen him seem to be on one side or the other several times so far. He has to be impartial and “fair”. Nothing about any of this is FAIR! Writing only communicates in one way – we miss the body language and tone of voice, so it is easy to misunderstand what is being said at times. What bothers me the most is the hush-hush about it all with the lawyers and industry. There is so much more going on behind the scenes and accuracy is hard to maintain. By the time the news gets confirmed it’s often old news. Thank you so much for keeping us informed.

32. Bejah B says:

Forgot to cite above list, sorry. It is from website of Matthews and Associates, “Superlawyers” 2013. They are in Houston. Those of you who may not have filed yet or signed on with legal representation do remember that your legal representatives need not be located in your city or state, but can be in any state.

33. Barb says:

WOW BEJAH!!! Amazing work you have done!! I no longer use any of their products and tell everyone NO!! They think they are just invinceable……………..seems Judge Goodwin is so hard on the other manufacturers how ever not really pushing JNJ!!

34. Barb says:

And for Jane heres another slam by our government/medicaid/medicare…………..they use to pay 100% for counseling I just got a bill for $78 dollars that I must pay!! I know when I spoke with the medicaid consultant we no longer have case manager’s we do everything by phone!! She said MANY more changes to come!! So why in the word would us already on disability be any different in receiving proper health care! Specialist are no more an option for proper health care, my deductable on medication has risen and now we are in a place where we cannot recieve the very best in health care that other’s are entitled to after paying in our share to receive full life saving medical attention!! I just found out frm a friend who works at the State that we are being cut do to all the immigrants who have come here!!!

Just curious – How does the Affordable Care Act affect mesh treatment? The immigrant slur from your friend says more about perceptions than the problems with Medicare fraud and medicine for greed in my opinion.

• Barb says:

Agree with your statement Jane! I guess The letter that all State worker’s received from our Governor whom does not alway’s present himself in professionalism he puts the blame on other’s! I know that when you have any type of insurance even if you buy AARP or any kind of susidary to help with out of pocket cost we are paying such a high premium your Doctor has to do a PA to several insurance company’s to get their approval, many times that is denied!

• Kitty says:

My mother was an immigrant—–came thru on Ellis Island with her follks and had medical clearance before going off to Chicago. Her father was a successful cobbler., The old lady(her mother) was a maid. My mother never took a cent from the government–ever except Social Security and Medicare

• Disgusted says:

I do not get social security or medicare, only regular insurance. I have also seen an extreme rise in costs of my medical care. Many of my prescriptions which were covered have been denied and I’m paying over $500 a month for the basics just to get through, I had to drop others that made my life more bearable. The manufacturer’s should be forced to fund a medical account that covers for the unpaid cost of prescriptions and doctor visits that are directly attributable to mesh and it’s complications. They have been shown to be negligent in so many trials so far and I believe this will continue, therefore they should be held accountable for the health of those whose lives they’ve destroyed. This should be independent of any lawsuit. I do not think this will happen, however I believe this would make them think twice and better test any product put on the market. There have been so many mass torts for negligence and product defects. It should be addressed. Paying for the medical costs would go a long way for helping the victims and would take some pressure off of the courts.

• Barb says:

So disgusted what do you think the reasons are?? I’m afraid this is just starting for all of us whether government insurance or regular! Putting such limitaitions on some ones health care is going to lead many out from seeking proper medical care!! This P$$$%% me off!! Many will not be able to afford health care in my opionion that leaves us out of the loop for the best health care we deserve!! My meds are between 100 and 800 a month with a deductable however I do have Mainecare buy-in to pay my medical bills Medicaid won’t! I don’t believe this is anything to do with mesh This starts at the top, I’m going to write my congressman. government insurance does not cover many out of State treatment!! We paid in our money I worked since 15 until 45 until an accident took my career away………………

Do you have an attorney to consult… one on medical benefits?

• Barb says:

Jane the only attorney I have is for the mesh………….think I need to call the paralegal to discuss this further in detail.

• Barb says:

Well we do see this in trials they are awarded damages for past and future medical expenses however us in an MDL will not be given this opportunity unfair if the health cost continues to become a major issue then I believe all government assistant insurance wil no longer exists leaving us with what??

Future medical care is something that should be included in a settlement in my opinion… It was in the Linda Gross case – $1 million for future medical care…. I don’t believe J&J has paid her anything since her jury verdict of $11.1 million.

35. Aaron Leigh says:

Poor Ethicon feels “oppressed” and overly burdened. Geez.

36. Barb says:

I will be having surgery July 17th………………..the surgeon will be doing a d&c, a bladder distension, mesh revision and exploratory. She also will be removing and scraping any scar tissue that could be making my pain worse. I’m looking forward to this surgery at this point even if all mesh cannot be removed and the thought of having less pain hopefully is what has me so positive about this procedure, however if a hysterectomy is needed! I’m going to make sure I stay very busy tomorrow with a counseling appointment to end my day!! I will try to keep everyone updated as my progress in recovery

Barb -I hope you have a very competent doctor…We will be praying for you.

• kitty says:

Good luck Barb

• Barb says:

KITTY..Thank you so much for your blessing I posted yesterday what was done! I’m a survivor and will continue to fight………..Bless you all

• Bejah B says:

Barb, It is now July 19th. We are all hoping things went well for you. Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it. Miss your astute commentary. Sending golden healing light from my yoga hammock..

• Barb says:

Bejah, I made a comment yesterday. Doing pretty well for all the procedures, god bless

• Bejah B says:

Wonderful, sorry I missed your post yesterday…easy to get mixed up a bit. Take care. Remember it takes far longer to heal thoroughly than the time they give you at discharge. And of course the inside takes a lot longer to heal than the outside including emotionally! Take care, take time, breathe deep.

• Barb says:

Thanks for the encouraging words!! I’m having a hard time just laying around with so many limitations………….I think it’s because now the pain I experience is no longer from the erosion of one of the mesh devices! I’m dealing with the pain with a smile! I have to remind myself it’s only been 4 days. It says vaginal mesh revision and of course talking to the doctor shortly after I’m not sure if she was able to remove the mesh that was eroded or if she was only able to cut away what she could get to, i will be getting the operative report soon to see exactly what she did as far as the mesh! However I knew I felt completely comfortable with her experience she has done many removals and she also is getting away from inserting mesh!! Thank you all MESH INJURED for your concern and continued prayer’s pretty soon this spitfire woman will be back………..SMILING

37. kitty says:

Here’s a scary thought:dr bill for mesh removal is $40,000 medicare pays Dr $3500.00. Settlement comes and pays the Dr $40,000 Is that a possibility? ;

my understanding is doctors usually get much less for those surgeries than they advertise, at least from medicare and insurors.

• kitty says:

That is true. So the Dr would get $3500 What I was wondering was would Medicare ask for the $40,000–even though they only paid 3500 to the Dr. This is paranoid-‘-but this is a scenerio You know what I mean? my thought is we should really keep track of who gets paid so we don’t get screwed.

• Barb says:

Kitty medicare/medicaid will only be reimbursed for what they paid hospitals, doctors not what the NORM is!! So for us all ready having a lien for medicare/medicaid we only pay them what they paid out and thank god for the lien company involved!! Yes Jane I have much faith in my surgeon and good relationship!! She’s the one after going to several secialist that found the erosion on the first visit!! It will be a 2 hour surgery and 2 hour recovery. I will only be down for a week. She hopes to remove as much mesh as possible, anything to remove some pain!!!

38. Barb says:

So here I am after having my surgery July 17!! I’m doing pretty well for having several procedures done, a Laparoscopy, diagnostic, cyctoscopy, Vaginal mesh removal, D&C, Hysteroscopy. I feel the best I have in years yes still a little sore but no pain like before!! So I now will just get operative report and then my case will be reviewed, apparently my case was in the pile to be reviewed so they pulled it due to surgery. I will be on them like a fly on a fly strip!! I personally will tell you this mesh injured woman will not be taking pennies!! It’s become not how many revisions I have had, how many test, how much medication i’ve been prescribed it has now turned in my future more surgeries yes, they need to really consider what our families have been through, what/how we have endured and all about Justice, I know longer can go to counseing as they now will not pay 100%, We are no different then those who get to go to court being awarded past/future cost for surgeries, PUNITIVE DAMAGES!!!! Money is the key to settle things properly…………….there has to be justice!! Peace to the STRONG MESH INJURED

• Bejah B says:

Barb, Just to be clear whose pile for review were you referring to? Gulp! I am happy to hear you are in a flghting mood. That means you are feeling better post surgery which is how we are supposed to feel post surgery, more or less. Be very careful now what you say and who you say it to. ” Trust no one” is a good motto for us. When we are finally free we have a tendency to become chatty. Keep quiet. Also, in order to prevent greater pain know that the defendants will want to give you NOTHING, they will try to conjure up some technicality to justify dismissing your case. Having a good attorney is important. Take care. Shhhh! 🙂

• Barb says:

BEJAH….I have been quite SHHHHHHHHH no fb, only my children and BF know! Would be extremely hard to track me down and have never used real name here! I’m an AMS client and they are settling cases quite quickly and quietly. My file was pulled by my attorney due to the procedure, so once they get the operative report then it will be put back to be reviewed. I’ve been hushed up, mummed up, and no longer discuss with my children unless they ask, but then tell then very little. It’s no secret that AMS has set an amount to settle their cases so I’m not saying something that’s not public knowledge!! I realize that people on here could be “I SPY” but that’s ok……………and no court for me!!!

• Kitty says:

Barb so glad you are doing well post OR. Glad you were in the pile rather than the binder. Good luck Kitty