Honor July and Medicine in the Public Interest

american flagWelcome to Mesh News Desk, July 2016

Welcome to Mesh News Desk (MND), also known as Mesh Medical Device News Desk. For five years, MND has been covering the issue of pelvic mesh and will continue to do so until it is on the front page of every newspaper, every day. That’s where it belongs!

We honor those who have fought for our country in July and the birthday of the USA so it is a good time to remember those who are in the front trenches of the monied medical establishment.  Modern medicine is oftentimes about profit and less about people.  Remember in the old days when women had a surgical treatment for prolapse – before there was mesh!   Many of those surgeries held up very well.

Then marketing and medicine married money and we ended up with a fourth “M,” for misery.

August will begin a series of trials for Ethicon/ Johnson & Johnson.

J&J evidence from Gross trial Feb 2013

J&J evidence from Gross trial Feb 2013

Washington State, California have begun a investigation into allegations that J&J fraudulently marketed pelvic mesh in their state and the millions spent on false promises.  Mississippi’s AG is interested as is Kentucky’s AG office.  If you live there,  Andy Beshear, would like to hear from you. Main switchboard 502-696-5300, http://ag.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx

All it took years ago was one reader of Mesh News Desk to complain to Washington State for its investigation to begin.  Please feel free to share your complaints with your state AG.

The Boston Scientific expose about obtaining counterfeit polypropylene resin from China lives on and MND will continue to follow that issue.

Many mesh injured women have quietly settled from other manufacturers for whatever was offered, too little too late.  Some are still waiting for checks after countless promises over many months.  The settlement amounts will hardly take care of a lifetime of pain and medical attention that may be needed.

good news ms brown

Art by Jade R.

See the story “Top 10 Myths Women are Told Today about Pelvic Mesh” here.
For those of who are newly implanted and wondering if it could happen to you, or if you are beginning to have complications, I’m sorry.  Doctors are still telling women, “It’s different mesh,” or “The bad mesh has been recalled,”  or my favorite “Your pain is all in your head.”  Actually its in the pelvis, or the leg, or the groin etc etc…..I think you know the difference.

If your doctor says any of the above and is trying to sell you a mesh product, ask if it’s polypropylene or a composite with polypropylene. Ask to see any recall notice. Ask to see the package and look for “Polypropylene”  or “PP.” Your doctor will likely sense you are trouble and show you the door.

Don’t hesitate to use the legal evaluation link on page one of Mesh News Desk to find a lawyer who is still taking cases since many are not.

We are still taking reports of autoimmune complications and please fill out those forms if you have developed Lupus, fibromyalgia, joint aches, pains, rashes, brain fog, tooth loss. Scientists will be evaluating the autoimmune issues very soon and we will announce that when it is official. Hope’s autoimmune registry is here.

MND is also attempting to get lawyers interested in complications from hernia mesh.  If you are a law firm taking those cases, please reach out here so we can put you on our radar! IT’S THE SAME MESH!!   Also polypropylene, with the same autoimmune issues, mesh shrinkage, erosion issues as pelvic mesh.

D2 MARKETING RAN THE SHIP WE OWN IT

Marketing from J&J, from Gross trial, Feb 2013

Added this month is more emphasis on hernia mesh as well as talcum powder’s link to ovarian cancer, another product marketed to women, who seem to be willing recipients of the message.  Doctors and industry are all too willing to comply.  Contact Bailey, Javins & Carter to discuss your case.

Please use the Search Bar to explore any topic mesh-related. There are more than 800 stories posted over the last five years. You can also click on the Legal or Medical category title to see what has been filed under that category.

Gay and Linda at J&J meeting

J&J Shareholders meeting. Injured speak truth to CEO

News on Mesh News Desk is not intended to substitute for information from lawyers and doctors. It’s founder is a journalist who is NOT mesh injured, however the community of injured is really awesome!  Many women find relief just knowing they are not alone and learning from each other! There are some smart women here and we welcome your essays, opinions, contributions in any form.

Ask a question to those who are on the Facebook site. Thank you for those who have written (you can do so anonymously).

Please sign up for the Mesh Newsletter (here) to keep you up on the latest
here and thank you goes out to the many supporters who help bring light to mesh injuries of all kinds.  Your generous support makes this effort possible.Please refrain from using your actual name and posting any confidential information you receive from your law firm.  It could negate the settlement agreement you may have signed.

Jane Akre, Editor MND

Jane Akre, Editor MND

Jane Akre
Editor, Mesh News Desk

1. anonymous says:

Because of mesh I lost a friend today.
    Because of mesh my world was rocked once again.
    Because of mesh there is no trust of anyone
    Because of mesh there is pain & suffering
    Because of mesh I feel lost and abandon by all
    Because of mesh I pray to God to take me home
    Because of mesh my tears flow and flow
    Because of mesh I lose all hope
    But because of my love for my God I stay faithful to tell all what mesh has done to me & my family long since gone. I try to find peace but the pain shoots through me and reminds me every hour of every day. Infections to many to worry about anymore. Life will take its path as it is meant to be.
    I wait on my God and listen for his voice and stay on path until he comes for me.
    Because of mesh all that I had is gone, lost forever. Because of mesh AKA-greed they took my life.

I’m so sorry…. I know you are suffering so …what can we do to help?

• anonymous says:

I dont know if anyone can help. My friend of 4 years got an offer that she is going to accept. I am glad for her. But when I asked which law firm she had she refused to tell me. She said she was paranoid they would find out she had talked to me and would lose her settlement amount. I understand that they have scared her into not talking but we need to stick together in this all the way. I would never ever share any private information with anyone. It hurt me so that she would not even tell me her attorneys name. I felt like I have been thrown to the wolves now that her future is ok. Thats ok I understand to a degree. But if you cant trust me after 4 years of friendship, of discussing very private things, of being there for you when you needed me then I will silently go away. I will just disappear and be by my self. You see mesh causes enough pain with out this kind of pain. Mesh cause isolation, at least the manufactures want it that way. I have never felt so alone in my life. Money is a strange thing. It can destroy anything you want it to. Even though I want my settlement I would rather have a life long friend. Money will pass away sooner or later but friendship last forever or so I thought.

But you understand better than most, after her suffering, this is what she was waiting for. Even the most remote chance it could go away scares her and yes, she has likely had that pounded into her head by her law firm (which, by the way, also doesn’t get paid if there are missteps)….. so please anonymous, fear does funny things to people, it is less about you than a self defense reaction fueled by fear.

• anonymous says:

I understand and I am happy for her but I just think that we need to make sure that we stand together. I guess I thought you knew me well enough that I would never say anything to anyone. Even if I did call her Law Firm I would never mention her name. But yes I understand. As many stupid things to people and then we will look back and regret what we did but such is the life of a lawsuit action it’s funny but the damage that Mesh did has many long-reaching arms

• Still Standing says:

I have received two settlements and I have not shared any information about the particulars of the settlements except with my husband and our CPA. This is not fueled by fear, but by the fact that I signed a legal agreement and in that agreement, I confirmed that I would not reveal the terms of the settlement with anyone. I gave my word, and it is important for me to keep my word. I imagine many other women feel the same way. I think it is important to recognize another reason for not revealing the terms of our contract.

• Anonymous says:

Please understand one very important thing about my post I was not asking her for details about her settlement and all I simply wanted to know the name of her attorney’s office. Perhaps I needed legal advice and her attorney did really wonderfully for her and maybe I needed to know a good attorneys name that was the end of it I understand about Not Giving specifics out not talking about it not even a sentence about your settlements but I think if we know a good attorney we need to share that with others perhaps I can help us get good settlements to that was the end of it but I’m going to stay where I’m at I’m going to trust my own attorney It’s just sad that we can’t support each other without thinking the other one is going to hurt you

Anonymous,,, I believe for the most part, you all can trust each other… just my sense. In the years doing this, I’ve had to edit out a few peeps who didn’t seem to be well intentioned. Maybe I’ve been fooled, but I believe you all are in the same boat and do support each other.

• Kitty says:

She could have least told Jane and u could call Jane who it would be safe with

• Tammy says:

Omg is there an ending to this night mare how are these people geting by with all the lies. Im homless lost every thing it took my life all im doing now is breathing how can this be why don’t they just muder me please i can’t take no more!!!!!

• Kitty says:

The wire mesh distorts and bites into our pelvic muscles and nerves as we we go from Dr to Dr to find answers and go into deeper and deeper melencholy. We take opoids for pain….but we find out they take away the mental pain as well….and we go deeper and deeper into depression while we wait for our day in court…or our settlement.

2. CAROLYN S says:

Thank you for access to this publication. I am an individual sadly affected by the Pelvic Mesh implanted in me. Unfortunately there is little communication from the law firm representing me as to it’s progress. From what I have been reading there is a trial that has been re-scheduled for August 12, 2016 in WV. Can you tell me if there are individuals that may have plans to bring our plight to the public’s attention? My life as I knew it has been taken from me forever and because of this device probably my eventual death. Unfortunately this is not a condition you feel comfortable discussing with friends or even family. However I feel those that made decisions based on greed rather than a women’s physical and mental health should be made public and attention brought to our conditions so that others may not suffer the same in the future. So if there is a “Mesh Awareness March”, I would appreciate any information that may be available so that I may plan my vacation time around it. Our patience of being ignored and us made to feel even less valuable to society than these devices have made us needs to be made public and progress made so I pray! Thank you again.

Last I looked the Edwards v Ethicon trial is still scheduled and yes, a group of women plan to be there last I checked. This unfortunate woman has had her trial reschedules so many times… I believe this one will be the one!

3. anonymous says:

One other thing I am happy that you all have gotten your settlements (still standing you got 2!) but have you forgotten about us who are still waiting? We are still struggling just to make it through. We wait and wait and because we are seriously hurt and wont take pennies for our injuries we must wait. We wait for our attorneys to fight like it was their own fight. Perhaps we are waiting for nothing. But please dont dismiss us because we might ask questions or seeking advice. If you call an attorney they wont even talk to you if you have another attorney. How do we know if we have the best one? How do we know if we are being treated fairly. Not all law firms are the same. I thought we were all together in this but I guess I was wrong. I guess money is the great divider an enemy in this situation too.

• Still Standing says:

Anonymous…why would you presume I was dismissing you or forgotten all the women with mesh who are waiting? I try to post information here for four reasons. 1. To help mesh women understand the legal process since I have been through it 2. To pass along any information I have about pain management, since that is my academic expertise, 3. To keep readers updated on current scientific research about mesh or pain management. I always provide a link with these comments 4. To try to emotionally support mesh women. I decided to reveal the fact that I have received settlements( both in the past year, I was implanted nine years ago) to show that there can be resolution of the lawsuits. So many women comment here that we will never see any settlement dollars, I thought that knowing that there has been acceptable resolution would have a positive impact on those who are waiting. Im sorry if that didnt help you. However, I think it at least validates your claim of injury as you see other people getting settlements. So, really, you see me now as an “enemy”? A greedy person? What would have happened if you got your settlement before your friend or before me? Do you think we would view you as a greedy enemy?

I try not to say things that have no basis in fact. I have a pretty broad knowledge of healthcare because of more than 25 years working in that system. Academically, I have acquired knowledge of pain, the biopsychosocial aspects of pain management, and alternative ways to reduce the experience of pain. I also have spent a considerable amout of money consulting with an integrative health MD. So I share what has worked for me so others can try those interventions without going to the expense that I have incurred.

I try to put a great deal of time and thought into my posts so that they will be helpful to others. i am not your enemy. I am not greedy. I am a very severely damaged mesh woman who has decided to live each day as fully as possible. I still have pain. I still have many obstacles in spite of monetary compensation. I guess that is my final thought. Settlements will not change how much pain you have. They wont suddenly make you feel whole but it may allow you to pursue other ways to get better. I hope and pray that every single woman who reads on this site will receive a just and fair settlement. I will celebrate each one and support those who havent gotten there yet.

I Dont know how you go about determining whether you have the best attorney. Go to the MDL site and look through the orders. You will be able to see what law firms have settled for ther clients. This could give you an idea of what firms have been able to negotiate for their clients. Attorneys will not talk with you if you are represented by another law firm. It is part of their professional ethics. Have no idea how to get past this unless you drop your current claim with your attorney. However, your current attorney will still be paid for what he/she has done on your case up to now. That expense will come out of your settlement or jury award. That is in the contract you signed for representation.

Addison, we ARE still in this together. Just because some women pass go before others in no way means that we are on seperate paths. I hope you can come to understand that.

• Still Standing says:

I just want to inform the readers that I did NOT take pennies for my injuries so don’t assume that anyone who settles has sold out. And, , yes, my mesh injuries are indeed serious enough to put me at the top of the top injury tier. While some people have posted that they were only offered a meager and insulting offer, that was not my personal experience. Again, this information is just to inform because I believe that knowledge is power and that hope is an emotionally affirming way to experience life. Try to stay hopeful until you receive information from your attorney. No one should be forced to accept an insulting offer. But,then, it is not our role to judge whatever they decide to do.

Agreed, please do not judge each other. Your pain puts you in a vulnerable position and that is understandable but your pain also makes you acutely aware that others are in pain also….Please be kind.

• Kitty says:

We would like to know who your attorney is.

• addison says:

Hi Still Standing. The anonymous posts were not by us. My wife and I have posted under a few articles, under the one name-addison. I think Jane has both of our email addresses. Maybe that was a typo or autocorrect and meant to read anonymous? We hope you’re doing well.

• Kitty says:

I have not received any settlement waiting very little from attorney

• Jan says:

Well does anyone out there understand how these tiers work. .
        I really would like to know fir injuries.
        I have had probably 100 procedures 4 surgeries. .my infections are causing my heart to have premature ventricular complexes it beats very fast then it stops. . Caused by electrolytes due ftom the infections ..
        This last surgery he was nit able to get the mesh around my bladder to close to dangerous could lose my bladder
        My attorneys office have advised me that Boston scientific will not settle they want to fight all settlements. .
        They said it could take another 7/8 more years ..and they said the will probably be bankrupt by then..
        I have basically been living off the streets because I only able to work 4/5 hours a day and even that hurts. I lost my home and vehicle and trying to live from day to day..
        Place to place..
        Iland I see some people are settling but then my attorneys office claims people are not telling the truth non of these manufacturers are settling. . So what is really happening. ..
        My attorneys are out of Florida
        Please she’d some light

Jan, from my understanding ( I’m not an attorney) Tiers of injury are like a point system. you amass so many “points” depending on how many surgeries you have had. Basically that is not a good qualifier in my opinion because some people don’t have surgery because they cannot afford one…. not an indication of lesser injuries at all! We do know some Boston Sci cases have settled just from hearing so I”m not sure what they are referring to. Perhaps the firm is not settling cases. It is done law firm by firm…. You could let me know privately ( or publicly here) which law firm represents you. Thank you and I’m sorry…..Do you have Boston Sci mesh made after 2011 by any chance?

• Jan says:

Ms.Jan
          How do I message uou privately

4. anonymous says:

Never once did I say that still standing was greedy or self serving. I never point out one person to target ever. I just said please dont dismiss us who are still fighting for a good settlement, it was not directed at any one person. I am so hurt by mesh that the tier figures dont even come close (my attorneys and doctors words not mine) and i will not accept their idea’s of what we should accept. i dont view any of the women out here as enemies. I simply put a post of how hurt i was by someone who i thought was a friend and needed to just say please continue to help others even if you got your settlement. i didnt ask anyone to tell us about the details of their settlements. there are some who tried to defend the person who hurt me and say they understood why she did not tell me about her settlement. once again i did not want to know about her settlement just who had done such a good job for her. I do not consider anyone the enemy or greedy. I never once said those words. perhaps your feelings are telling you that, i dont know. I have been told by doctors that I am so severely injured from mesh there is nothing they can do for me any further. So yes I understand about being severely hurt. I do understand that it will take years and years for any settlement. i just thought through out this whole ordeal that friendships made should be cherished. That what we all have experienced is truly a unique and difficult experience and the one thing that we as humans can still do is to be kind to each other no matter what. If you want to share your success tell Jane about it so perhaps the next woman can reach out and find hope. If you read my first post you will see that I came out here because I thought this was a safe site to express my sadness. I am very happy that some women have received settlements, all I ask is that if someone reaches out to you who needs help please try to help them. Never ever would I expect anyone to share the details of their settlement because i know the stipulations that you can not tell anyone of the amount or details. And yet it sounds like that is what people took from my post. So I will not consider this a safe place to come out and post. the last time I was out here expressing that not all pain treatments work for all people I was bombarded by still standing for making that statement. I am sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention. I will no longer come out to Jane’s site. Good bye and good luck to all of you and I pray that those of us who are still struggling will some day be as fortunate as some have been.

I’m sorry anonymous if I offended you. That was NOT my intention at all.

• Kitty says:

DonT leave. I have lost too many friends on this site. Where is everybody?

• Jan says:

How do they base the tiers on injuries

Tiers are basically SUI implant in and medical management for complications.

Implant in, complications, and one surgery ( beside the implant surgery)

Implant in, complications, and two surgeries,
          Implant in, complications and two or more surgeries…. something like that.
          Then there is a different number, usually slightly higher, for the same as above but for POP mesh.

5. Still Standing says:

Anonymous, friendship is sacred. Reach out to her. I imagine she is hurting as well. If I misinterpreted what you said, she could have as well. Perhaps you both have misunderstood each other. When all is said and done, a true friend is worth far more than all the money in the world for all of eternity. Pain does cause us to be much more sensitive to others in our world, and for good reason. We tend to get the angriest with those we love and trust the most. We know they wont walk out the door when our ugliest side is showing. I hope you both can make that step toward each other.

• Kitty says:

My father told me that you can count your friends on 1 hand and have plenty of fingers left. He also said not to tell anyone too much because they will turn around and stab u in the back. And he was sooo right. “To thine own self be true and tho can’t be false to any man.”

6. jan says:

Just had my third surgery. Doc did remove the last mesh in vaginal wall and he did get only half of 1 band
    The mesh around my bladder he could not remove could cause a lot of damage to bladder. I will still have UTI’S and that is what is causing my heart to have the strange beats
    And they spike and heart skips 2/3 beats.
    Spent 3 days in cardiac unit at st.Luke’s before having this surgery
    I am in a lot of pain right now

7. Kitty says:

The love of money is the root of all evil

8. Kitty says:

Is a cystoscopy a surgery? Is a uro-dynamic study a surgical procedure? Please advise. Thank you!