Hello 2015! Mesh Makers are You Listening?

year 180Welcome to Mesh News Desk/ Mesh Medical Device News Desk!

As wonderful as the holidays were to enjoy some downtime and relaxation (as relaxed as one can get with a foreign body implanted in one’s pelvic region), it’s time to renew the awareness of pelvic mesh and push the powers that be. Time to get active!

While women are told that mesh settlements are on the horizon, that news has been percolating since June and patience is wearing thin. Mesh News Desk has heard of offers as low as $6,000 for severely mesh-injured women.  Women are told not to discuss their offers but many are ready to shout about it with a resounding “No” to a low settlement offer. It appears with American Medical Systems, the value of the company in the dumper and the settlement will bankrupt AMS. Endo acquired AMS and is not bankrupt however – how hard will lawyers be willing to fight for their clients?

On the other side of the coin – those firms who have worked up cases are easily millions in debt over the cost of bringing a case forward and deserve to have their expenses recouped – but at whose expense?  Prediction – many women will be looking for new law firms for representation after they reject the initial settlement offer. Stay tuned.

Pelvic Mesh Litigation

January 2015 will see two new trials – one in Springfield area Missouri, a Prolift mesh kit death case, and the other in Bakersfield, CA – a TVT-Abbrevo sling. Your editor will be at the Missouri case offering the only media coverage of the proceedings. This will be the first Prolift case since the Linda Gross trial in early 2013  ($11.1 million).

Let’s hope 2015 brings wisdom and a conscience to the seven mesh manufacturers to right this horrible wrong. The dollar amount spent on one J&J lawyer would fund a roomful of injured women. Let‘s pray the company and its shareholders realize the harm it perpetrates on the public and the insult and injury on women by using its resources to fight them in the courtroom instead of helping them get well.  As one women recently said:

“I wish you all the best this next year. I pray that you find help, that you all find help. On xx I go for surgery and although not wanting to die if something goes wrong and I just keep sleeping I would not mind. I am tired and from what I have been told after this surgery things will not be easy for at least a year if —if it helps at all. There’s not even hope of a settlement that has been given to me. But then again money can never replace what I have lost. A life with promise and hope. A life lived loving every minute of the time I spent believing in tomorrow. People don’t understand because they cannot see our deformities and our injuries. I feel devalued by everyone. I long for sleep where  I can dream of happier days.”

Mesh News Desk is grateful to mesh removal doctors Miklos and Moore of Atlanta who are sponsoring the first quarter of 2015.  The duo is focusing on mesh removals, and like many urogynecologists is evolving their thinking about mesh placements as a first-line defense after seeing the horrific complications among patients.

Mesh News Desk is not intended to substitute for advice from your lawyer or doctor.  Please advocate for yourself and collect your medical records including operative reports. Make sure you file your report with the Food and Drug Administration. Some day the agency says it will act…. still waiting! Here’s how to file a report.

There is an amazing and growing group of very vocal and smart women who are not suffering in silence anymore!! They are getting their device numbers, filing complaints with the FDA, contacting their legislators, finding doctors and lawyers to address what has happened AND supporting one another!

Mesh News Desk is a news source that has been reporting on mesh injuries since 2011. We are NOT a legal referral service. Your editor, who is not mesh-injured,  is a long time journalist who recognizes a story important to the public. See the About Us Page.  Honest reporting deserves some compensation and I’m always looking for supporters/ sponsors/ advertisers / donors to keep Mesh News Desk supported since it’s become a full-time job. A documentary on this dark chapter in women’s health is in the works.  You can contact me at janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com. Also visit the Go Fund Me website if you’d like to be part of this effort!! Thank you!!!

Bruiser

Bruiser

Your personal e-mails written to me are never shared unless you request that happen. Your email may result in sign-up for the Mesh News Desk Newsletter.

Brewie jan 1 2015Please sign up for the regular newsletter with insights on what’s happening. Check out page one on the right hand side.

As always, I’m grateful for your feedback and your content contributions and comments! Write me with any comments and concerns and thank you!

Prayers please for our little Brewie– your editorial assistant -who is going in for a liver biopsy on January 2.

Jane Akre, Editor

Mesh News Desk

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. Sandy says:

Jane I will absolutely pray for Brewie and please let me know how it goes. Thank you for the moment in the spot light. IT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME YOU TALKING ABOUT AMS GOING BANKRUPT!!!! OMG!!!! My life would be over if they do. What hope would I have for the future. People I owe money to would hate me and never want to see me again along with my family. There would be nothing left for me. I thought since Endo bought AMS they also took the responsibility for the law suits. I am sure I read that some where. I pray to God this is not true. My life has turned upside down and the dynamics have been change forever if this happens there is nothing to hope for. It seems any more every day brings a new twist to this already horrendous ordeal. Please pray for me that God steps in soon as I pray for all of you. I can’t even say Happy New Year because for me it may not be any happier than last year. People including those concerned with the up coming surgery keep putting pressure on me. You can only take so much before something gives. Can’t we get a little good news for once!!! I pray to God this mesh mess will not take my life.

• Disgusted says:

Sandy, I feel your pain. I know this journey all too well. Hang in there, getting the mesh out does help some. The pain may not completely go, but I think it is better with the mesh out! I’ve spoken to so many who’ve had it removed. I believe that while it is still in, inflammation is continual and that makes it worse. Plus the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, etc. that it touches, or even is within a cm of, are constantly being set-off by movement. An “experienced expert” told me that it could not come out of the obturators; “too dangerous”, “not necessary”, “loss of leg use”. That may be true for many Dr.’s but Dr. Raz is able to remove it successfully (and others are being added). I will pray for your surgery. God is still in control. I know it doesn’t seem that way. The surgery is so hard!! What you have written so far shows you are a fighter. Keep up the good fight of faith. Words cannot express the grief I feel for you with your family and friend’s relationships. Keep your chin up, they are failing you when you need them the most. I know they are under pressure and feeling the strain of the “mesh mess”, more than we can know. They would be shocked and hurt to hear of their failure. It is confusing when doctor’s confirm what we look like; fine, no visible wounds. The lack of compassion on such a large scale from our “doctors” is unfathomable. Peace and blessings for all this new year!

2. sandy says:

Oh thank you so very much. I think the greatest gift someone can get is have someone praying for them. thank you for your kind words and your support I care about all you guys even if I’ve never met you I know what you’re going through my mesh is out but the damage they did to my pudendal nerve when they put it is terrible. I guess I’m just really tired I want my life back god bless you all take care and I will continue to pray for all of us that’s all I have left

3. justme says:

Thank you to Miklos & Moore for the sponsor ad. I was wondering if they knew about this site and now I know they do and I am thankful.

4. justme says:

” I want my life back god bless you all take care and I will continue to pray for all of us that’s all I have left”

me too…praying for you and all of us

5. justme says:

we (me & family) love you alex. we could no have made it this far without you. 🙂

6. msm says:

I am pleased to see your new sponsor and to hear that they are beginning to change their perception of all mesh. I visited their site and noticed that they had done a huge study as follows:

“Dr. Miklos and Dr. Moore will be presenting the LARGEST WRITTEN SERIES in the world on Mesh Complications (445 patients) at the 2014 American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) and the International Urogynecological Association (IUGA) joint meeting in Washington, DC in July. (http://augs-iuga2014.org/)”

But, I cannot find ANYTHING else about it anywhere. Jane, could you possibly find out more about this? It would be great to read it and try to understand how AUGS stands by its pro-mesh position statement following their presentation. I am surprised it is not published somewhere. It probably is and I just can’t find it.

7. Tammy says:

Sandy you have Hope because you have Faith and you know the Lord…..long suffering is rewarded with Open BLESSING……..saith the LORD. I’m praying for you and your family. Lord bless us and heal us. Love you sisters.

8. Tammy says:

Jane…..I’m praying for you and Brewie. Please keep us informed. Thank you for all you do for us. I’m praying to the Lord to BLESS you.

9. Kim says:

Dr. Giles (UW-Madison WI Hospital & Clinics) bashed Dr. Miklos at my office visit. I’d say it was professional jealousy, if I thought Giles was professional. I do not recommend anyone go to Giles for mesh removal. He denied any of my symptoms but wanted to do my removal. He appears to be solely motivated by $$.

• Janet B says:

Kim do you live near Madison? I live in Upper Michigan, just across the Wisconsin border. My removal was done by Dr. Dennis Miller in Milwaukee (decent surgeon, but horrible man, do NOT go to him). But most of my followup care has been at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison. My gynecologic surgeon there, Dr. Barb O’Connell, was the single best doctor I have ever been to. She diagnosed and surgically fixed all kinds of problems that I had post-mesh-removal – vulvar neuroma, bartholin gland abscess, granulation tissue, and now pelvic congestion syndrome/vaginal varicose veins. Sadly, Dr. O’Connell left the UW system this past summer, and I haven’t been able to locate her, but I’m looking everywhere. You said that Dr. Giles is not a good physician to see at UW-M. Do you have any other recommendations for physicians there? Or any others that you wouldn’t recommend? I’m considering trying to find another physician at UWM to take over for Dr. O’Connell, but I’d be interested in your opinions on the doctors there. My email is janet4554@gmail.com if you want to contact me that way. Thanks!

10. sandy says:

Tammy thank you for the reassurance and kind words. without believe that God is with me I don’t think I could make it to you anymore just been such a long hard road. I really would like to wake up one of these days and have my life back to normal but I know that’s not possible. all I can do is pray and have faith that God will be there with me. I really need to have him show himself to me because late and I have been able to see him very good the pain medication makes you feel woozy all the time and I’ll see it all the time and without it there’s just pain seems like there’s no middle ground here. all I can ask you for is to please pray for me and I’m praying that the stories from other women will not be the same as my experience. I’m tired of the pain and all the hassles that everybody gives me because I’m not the caretaker like I always have been my whole life. Most of all I want someone to tell all these medical companies enough is enough you did this many trees have spoken now pay up these women need these resources to get better to hold on to their homes and their cars and get their basic life back. I’m not looking you taking vacations in the Caribbean or flying to France I’m talking about getting the basic necessities of life sometimes. I just pray God will help us all to get what we honestly deserve. god bless you all I will be busy this week getting ready to fly out so you may not hear from me for awhile. I have to be in Phoenix for 7 days which I’m not thrilled about. I have what we call our kids aka my pets and it kills me to have to leave them for that long. thank God my son will come out to my house and watch them. you who have been damaged and injured by these products male or female are in my prayers daily and on my heart always. someone cares and always will

11. sandy says:

guys I’m sorry my phone screwed up and I suppose I’m slurring my words because of pain medicationI meant to say without God I don’t know how I could take it anymore. and that I’m not been able to see God very much anymore I can’t hear his voice. the other thing I was trying to communicate is that we don’t want money to be flying to the Caribbean or France. please forgive my speech not being clear sometimes when I’m using my phone to relay a message I am sorry

12. Terri says:

Hey Jane, this article was enlightening . I am so saddened that nothing seems to change for all these damaged women. Now to read that the only hope of recovery (financially) is doubtful angers me to madness. I have made some bold moves regarding my situation. I pray that the meetings I have with my state legislators,and states attorney week after next will help us all.Some body has got to realize , this is a global disaster getting worse by the day.Like you said most of these women are going to have to start all over again. A lot of them want make it if somethings doesn’t change. I sat with a lady last week whose mom was septic from the mesh she did not even know was there till it was to late. Reminded me of how I suffered for over a year.Could not even hold my head up. Near death, a surgeon decided it was a tear in my colon,operated . I woke up to find out from family that my mesh sling had rotted. First words I spoke “what is a mesh sling,how did I get that”? Here we are ten years later and nothing has changed. Only more sickness,destroyed lives,attorneys getting richer,media for some reason keeping this horrific situation quite. I am hopeful that maybe just maybe ,we all will soon be heard. Remember they are never to big to fail !!!

Terri- Your story is horrendous…. It certainly is time to get mad and active….raise the profile and shout to the rafters. Grrrrr

13. sandy says:

With out a settlement I won’t make it. There is no way that I could ever ale it with out being compensated for what they did to me. There will be no future for me.

14. kitty says:

SANDY. KEEP YOU CHIN UP. WE WILL BE WITH YOU IN SPIRIT IN Phoenix. Please don’t let negative info get you down. How can a plastic trap strung thru our vaginas be a good thing?

15. Kim says:

Found something today:

CRACKING AND ROUGHNESS OF THE HEELS

Yet another gift for the mesh injured.

16. justme says:

“Found something today:

CRACKING AND ROUGHNESS OF THE HEELS

“This is very common. It can come and go. When extreme, the skin on the heels is very dry and cracks. It can bleed and be painful. The heels correspond to the lower part of the abdomen and genital areas.

Yet another gift for the mesh injured.”

OMG SORRY TO SCREAM, BUT THIS IS ALSO HAPPENING TO ME. I HAD NO IDEA. IT IS HORRIBLE AND NOTHING, NOTHING WORKS!~THIS CONDITION CAN CUT A HUMAN WIDE OPEN LIKE A SHARP KNIFE.

Thank you Kim. I also am having a terrible problem with skin tags and skin growing in all the wrong places on my body including my head, UNDER my stomach, neck, and private areas (sorry gentleman, have to get the word out), and now, I have constant yeast infections and painful cysts that keep me more miserable. None of this runs in either side of any family members. This is not a coincidence. Nor is it mass hysteria. I believe it is side effects from the mesh. I was never sick like this before the mesh. I had a tooth pulled last year, and my immune system was so weak, it took over a month to heal, and I had to call the dentist back numerous times crying in pain. Pain meds were not working. The root canal should have lasted for life or for many years and it did not. My teeth are so weak now. I had to go to health food store and buy this stuff that stinks and makes you a little sick to close the dry socket. The dentist tried three times to close it. mesh victims do not heal as fast as those without it. Doctors need to take this into consideration if patients need surgeries, even if they don’t believe the mesh is the problem, which it is, they need to be on guard.

17. justme says:

Kim, can you say how he based M&M? I call them that because one of my doctors called them sweet M&M’s for helping women.

18. All Meshed Up says:

I would add that nothing has changed for the Hernia Mesh Victims as well. We have been implanted with the same materiall but reminders seem neccesary.

Now you all are discovering what we have known for YEARS. The MDL “Settlements” are a joke and no one makes money but the Lawyers. “Substantial Settlement” claims and pictures of “Crying” women may convince you of a Law Firms “empathy” for your plight, but all it is is a marketing tool.

You hang on for years waiting for the money that will finally take care of the bills, rent, food etc only to find that it has all been a sham. Welcome to the world of the Hernia Mesh Victim. After years of waiting and being told to keep your mouth shut about the case, you now discover that $4500-$6000 is all your life is worth. Saying “NO” to the amount leaves you in limbo as the Lawyers decide what to do with you. Most of the time they drop you and you find out later when you call or get something in the mail. No “Substantial Settlement” , no rainbow on the horizon. Poverty and pain is all we have left after these cases were settled. I, myself, did not get to go to Court. I have been denied by EVERY major Law firm in the U.S.A.. But I have cooresponded with lots of Hernia Mesh Victims that have lost everything they had before being implanted with mesh and had placed their trust in the Lawyer’s that said they would be taken care of. These are same Lawyers that are telling many of you all the same damn thing.

We are ALL in the same boat when it comes to Mesh, whether Gynecological or Hernia mesh. But it feels more like Hernia Mesh Victims are in the back of the bus when you read about all of this. There is sympathy for us when an article comes out about another Hernia Mesh Victim who has lost everything. But when the articles come out and meetings are arranged, Hernia Mesh is NOT EVEN MENTIONED. It is ALL about Gynecological Mesh. You can dispute me if you want but those in the know, know I am right about this.

19. tammy woods says:

My life is a living hell the law firm im with stop talking to me please help.

• All Meshed Up says:

I was hoping someone else would offer you assistance Tammy but I will give you some advice.

If you have called your Lawyer and have not recieved any response, first off, send a Certified letter to the Lawyer with signature required. In the letter explain what has been happening( no return call or answers to questions etc ) and request an immediate response FROM HIM not a legal intern or secretary. Hopefully you will get a call quickly.

If you do not recieve a call, contact the State Bar Association. Have copies of your letter that you sent to the Lawyer along with date and times of your calls and the response you got( or didn’t get ). If you have any paperwork from the Lawyer, send copies of that also if that becomes neccesary. Make sure that they understand what you have been going through, your failing health, monetary situation etc. Do not be overly angry or emotional ( as hard as that may be ) when talking with the Bar Association but do not let them bully, intimidate or ignore you!

IF this does not resolve the situation, your next step is your State Representative or Senator. Call them with your complaint. Again, keep a log of all calls, any coorespondence and medical records concerning your case. These will be valuble tools for you to use to raise hell with the Lawyer and hopefully have a quick resolution.

I am NOT a fan of Lawyers when it comes to these Multi District Litigations (MDL’s). If and when there is a Settlement you are categorized into groups according to your case, damage done and (supposedly) future health concerns. Unfortunately as many women are starting to find, as did many Hernia Mesh Victims, that your life is worth $4500-$6500 in most cases. It is true that the Lawyers have a huge investment in time and money to get the MDL to Court. BUT, when all is said and done, it is the Layers that walk away with MILLIONS of dollars in fees from people who had thought that the days of worrying about money would be over. In talking with many Hernia Mesh Victims who have experienced an MDL, when they said “NO!” to such a small settlement amount, they were shut out by the Lawyers and were not able to get any response or answers about their case. So you are not alone in this, Tammy

I hope that you read this post and it helps you. God Bless and Best Wishes……..

Let’s not forget that some law firms ( certainly not all) spend millions just getting to trial. They deserve to have that reimbursed. The legal referral services do not spend that kind of money and their reimbursement rate should be questioned. Also, MDL was supposed to keep down the cost of litigation! Hello- why then are we at 40% plus expenses? Has your law firm incurred expenses on behalf of your claim? if so, they must justify that in writing,,, every last dime…Personally I do not pay bills without knowing what I am paying for…. ~ ja

20. If this was a male problem, (not being able to have sex without severe pain, urinating in his pants, having to have his nuts removed) this would have been settled a long time ago!!!