Hello July Moon and Mesh News Desk Readers

Waaafulll moonelcome to Mesh News Desk aka Mesh Medical Device News Desk, your online source for news about the mesh industry, and legal implications of 100,000 product liability lawsuits, the latest in medical news as well as interviews with leaders in the field and the women affected by this fiasco.

If you are new to this issue – first of all, I’m sorry.  I’m not mesh injured but talk to many women who are and I agree with the assessment that this is the darkest chapter in women’s healthcare. And now with 100,000 lawsuits and the number growing all of the time, it’s almost unfathomable that pelvic mesh is still being placed transvaginally.  But it is.

I’m a journalist who began this website nearly four years ago with the goal of putting a face on the women who have been injured. Since then, so many lawyers have told women not to appear in public and tell their story, that the medical and legal areas have grown. There is no shortage of news unfortunately.

I still find it unbelievable that mainstream media is not making this front page news.   As someone who spent 25 years working in newsrooms around the country, including CNN as a reporter and anchor, I believe I know an important story and I’ve never seen one virtually ignored by the media powers that be like pelvic mesh and hernia mesh.  It is a huge oversight but hopefully this website and the efforts of readers in their own communities are slowly changing the tide.

Please use the Search Bar to go back into the archives. It’s all there!

How did we get here?  July 13, 2011 was a very important date. That was the day the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a Safety Communication that pelvic mesh complications are “not rare” and suggested mesh not be a first line treatment for prolapse and incontinence.

But industry pressure strongly influences medicine as you’ve likely seen first hand. Certainly we’ve seen in trials. Having attended six or so by now, I’ve been amazed at the information that lawyers have found – from the Material Safety Data Sheet issued by the resin makers that say polypropylene is NOT to be made into implantable medical devices (pelvic mesh) to emails that show how hell bent the manufacturers were to get their share of the market at a “premium price.”   All for an experimental procedure that had never been tested on humans!

We see now how this massive human experiment went awry with 100,000 women the victims of negligence and the pursuit of profits.

Just FYI

This site is NOT a legal referral service, and is not connected to any law firm or medical provider.   As a publisher, the advertiser model has worked well for years for newspapers and magazines and with 5,000 to 10,000 readers a day – why not advertise on Mesh News Desk?   As with many independent news sources, readers contributions are always welcome to keep me focused on the mesh issues as they break.

As a journalist, I still follow the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics and try to talk to both sides of every issue and provide you the links so you can further uncover this mesh mystery with me.

Four years ago, I formed Independent  News Group LLC, a for profit corporation, to work on these under-reported stories that deserve to see the light of day. I’ll keep reporting the mesh-related news as long as I can keep this site going.   Any questions reach out – Janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com I’m pretty easy to reach and will answer your questions. I’m certainly interested in taking submissions from any writers who want their point of view heard on these pages from anywhere around the globe!

MND is NOT a legal referral service! It is written by your editor, a long-time journalist who finds this to be the most incredible story under-reported story I’ve ever encountered that needs to be brought to light, front page news if you will.  Women and families need to be empowered with information so they can take control of their own medical future.

Your emails are never shared unless you request I do so. Providing your email may result in enrollment in an occasional newsletter.

Thank you all!  Hang in there friends.  A new year, renewed determination!jane

Jane Akre, Editor

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. justme says:

you are amazing. i really depend on you and your website so much. i often wonder how i ever made it without you in the first place. Mesh hurts so bad and does so many bad things to our bodies and to our minds and emotional state. It is horrible and ruins our life, our bodies, and the lives of our families. No one understands it and the severe consequences. I went to see an oral surgeon because my dentist said he could no longer treat everything that was happening to me through my broken immune system and the damage the mesh had caused. It is all documented.

Now get this…It is true…every word of it and you have my word and I can always prove that it is true.

The surgeon asked me why I was there. I told him the whole story. He said and I quote ” My wife has mesh. She has been having some trouble with it, but the doctors told her NOT to have surgery to remove it, so she has to leave it alone.” I became unglued. Suddenly, the visit was about his wife and I grilled him. I asked him who told your wife not to have follow up care or surgery to remove the mesh, and he said it was her regular OBGYN doctors. He said that she and him saw the commercial on TV about the lawsuits, and he joked with her to sign up to get some of that money and she just laughed.

JANE_________________________HE IS A DOCTOR, AND A SURGEON. HOW COULD HE NOT KNOW THE DANGERS OR COMPLICATIONS? But, he DIDN’T.

He wrote down some instructions for me on a notepad. I asked to borrow his note pad and I wrote down instructions for his wife. I gave him this website address, the name of M&M, and the name of my attorneys and told him to tell her not to listen to any one else until she had seen M&M for a consultation.

Go get you some of that money…If only it was that easy. Being involved with a mesh lawsuit will wear you out. It takes so much from you and it is a lot to go through. Why do people think it is so easy? I don’t get it.

Justme- It’s shocking to hear this. Does this person read? Does he think there might be something to 100,000 lawsuits other than the pursuit of a payday? Really? I’m shocked! Thanks for sharing. All you can inform your doctors… take them information from “reputable” sources such as JAMA, Journal of the American medical Association ….. research from other “doctors” with medical degrees who say this is not inert! Information coming from trials! Maybe we should have a list of items to download and print out for dear doctors to do some reading. Many are quite gullible and believe what they are told by sales reps and are not skeptical… naive really

• Janis Urban says:

Jane, Thank you for your continued support and written words as a journalist and friend covering this debacle. Here’s to finding that silver bullet to take down these Mesh Manufacturer’s once and for all. How can you get documentation of your Health Issues that only started after the mesh implant? As many of you know when you even mention the word mesh most Doctor’s and Nurses will say No it’s not the mesh, No I never have seen these issues before, I implant mesh and no one has this. But we seek medical attention all the time, teeth, skin, pain, nerves, PT therapy, the list is to long. What good is our medical records when there is no mention of mesh? We know it is. Thanks again Jane.

• Leah says:

I could hardly believe I was reading your comment re your dentist–on June 30 I went to my dentist with the second broken tooth this year –of course it requires a root canal — he also told me I have a cavity underneath one of my crowns so that will require it to be replaced –when I told him I had a polypropylene sling and ask if that could be causing all these problems his answer was “indirectly – the mesh problems mess with your psyche which can cause all kinds of problems) he was very familiar with mesh as he had a brother who committed suicide because of the so of hernia mesh. My dental insurance cannot keep up with the amount of Problems I am having with my teeth and I am a faithful and regular patient

Of course at this point I don’t know what else to do but keep correcting the problems with my teeth as they occur

• Bejah B says:

Wow Leah, Thank you for posting about the dental involvement. I was supposed to have an emergency root canal first week in June but I did not have the money for the co-pay ($197), I had just paid them for the exam two weeks earlier, $150 and then there are more broken teeth, cavaties (Which I rarely had through my life)….root canals, and bridges and caps….all of these procedures are expensive and profoundly traumatizing when added to the list of after effects of mesh implantment (a new word!). You see Jane, it is true…it is effecting our teeth….that means it is effecting our bones as well???? I am mortified. What next? Please, anyone who has had post implant dental problems that can not be explained as part of your health profile, please let us know. We need to try to get this covered. I am going to call Delta Dental Monday and Blue Shield as well. Thanks Leah, and I hope your dental issues will taper off.

Bejah

2. stopmeshimplants says:

So relieved you have stuck it out with all of us. Please continue to share these mesh updates and the devastation this mesh creates for all.

3. justme says:

Jane,

His wife is probably his age, which is mid 50’s. I asked him where her doctors were located and he said a town down the road, which means it is local doctors, not a mesh expert doctor like M&M, or Raz or any of the other 4, who can do the reverse surgery or who can treat her for mesh issues.

I advised him that there were less than 10 doctors in the US who could actually, and accurately remove mesh, and her OBGYN was not one of them. I couldn’t help myself. I asked him how long she had it, and he said a few years. I advised him it would get worse with time. I hope she came to this website and he did not toss the instructions in the garbage.

Of course her OBGYN doctor said leave it alone. He/she could/can NOT remove mesh as they don’t know how and they don’t know about the other doctors who can do it, and they don’t know how or won’t refer patients to those doctors who can do it. How can they not know? Because they don’t have enough interest as they don’t see enough “after the damage has been done” mesh patients on a day to day basis to keep up or care.

I am so sick of explaining mesh to surgeons, doctors and their staff. They all say the same thing, “What is that? What does it mean?” And the no, it is not mesh elated when you know in your heart, it is most certainly is mesh related.

_______________

Asia Johnson should have never came to this country. Women have been suffering every since. 😛

• Bejah B says:

JM, It may be worth repeating what has not often been said, that for many women (I have no idea how many) explant is not an option, no doctor will even attempt it citing far too much scar tissue and other issues depending on the patient. These women who can not have the mesh removed because the risk of death in surgery is too high….may be condemned to a slow, painful death as the mesh alters form, breaks apart, releases toxins produced as it breaks down, etc. Evidently the longer one waits (Or must wait due to financial constraints or for other reasons) the more scar tissue there may be and the higher the probability of a death sentence, a real death sentence, not an abstract concept extrapolated from the data we have now…most of us assume now that having been exposed to it may shorten our lives and put us at greater risk for certain diseases like cancer or permanent urogenital complications, but for those women who can not have explant surgery the issue is more black and white. Let us never forget this. With this in mind, I guess most of us would tell this gentleman to exit his state of denial and get his wife to one of the urogynecologists who can help her.

Bejah

• MReneeM says:

JUSTME,

You mentioned in your post there are only “10 doctors in the US who could actually, and accurately remove mesh.”

Would you please post the names and locations of these doctors if possible? I have looked into having another revision after the first one did not work and even had consult with my OGBYN, but when the time came to have the surgery I had to cancel due to other issues. Deep within my heart I feel I need a doctor that specializes in mesh removal not just another revision done! It just seems that the only two doctors I have researched are so far away! Thanks for your help in advance.

P.S.

Jane, I am grateful for the work you do and have learned a great deal reading information you post!

Thank you for your dedication to this cause!

MReneeM

4. Jennifer says:

I’m new. I’m trying to learn and figure out how to proceed.

I just read the comments here and I’m wondering if my surgeon could be one of the M’s in M&M. Can anyone tell me if the M&M practice is in the Southeast? And can anyone tell me if I can trust “M” 100%? My Dr would be the first “M”.

I was considering getting a second opinion from Dr. Raz. But M has offices in LA also, and he placed my mesh.

In 2009 I had surgery for bladder prolapse and a Monarc sling or hammock was installed. I’ve been having various health problems and I’m being shuffled around and getting no answers. My next appointment is with a Neurologist referred by my Orthopedic Surgeon after an MRI showed no reason for my symptoms. But – something my (neuromuscular) massage therapist said to me made a light go off in my head and it might explain how the mesh may have created my issues.

I saw my Dr. M just last week and he confirmed that my vaginal pain is from the mesh and advises that I schedule surgery with him to remove it ASAP. He does not think that the mesh is causing my other health issues but he agreed to keep an open mind. I feel like I need a patient advocate to help me figure this out. I don’t know if I need a lawyer. I understand that the mesh removal comes with no guarantees but I want to feel confident that I’m working with a trustworthy Dr. and one who will help me navigate thru this.

Any help is appreciated.

Jennifet

5. Mesh Nightmare says:

They may be referring to Miklos & Moore. There’s an article with their pictures on homepage of this website. Take a look and see if it’s your doctor. I hope this helps.

6. Jennifer says:

24 hrs later,

Is there a support group in the atlanta area?

7. barb says:

These physical problems are very real, as are the many other problems I have experienced since the erosion of the said mesh. After two revision surgeries, The anchors, that held the mesh can not be removed. They are in my pelvic bone. At night I can not sleep on one side or the other because of the pain from these anchors. That will be for the rest of my life. The fact that it feels like my vaginal is coming out of me is another thing I will have to deal with for the rest of my life.

The marital problems from not being able to have intercourse has ruined my marriage. Too many things have been said to each other that will probably result in divorce. Everything has changed.

I owe hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. I pay what I can when I can. Of course there are liens.

i can not work due to the pains in my legs, coming from my groin. I have tendon damage causing the groin pain. I can not drive for more than a few minutes because my leg screams in pain when extended when I sit. There are vaginal suppositorires to use for it. They are 65.00 a month and not covered by insurance. I can not afford them anymore.

I have seen seven Dr. all together because of the various symptoms. None will say that one symptom or the other is from the mesh. But they can’t say the symptoms are not from the mesh. How on earth can all these problems, that are in the same six inch are, not be from the mesh. This has been a long, hard experience. I know that I will never be the same. Good luck ladies.

I’m so sorry Barb- do you have adequate medical care? doesn’t sound like it………..Please reply…

• Bejah B says:

Barb, I too am saddened to hear of the sad stories we hear so much in one variation or another, all compelling, all important. My heart goes out to you.

But there is one thing I feel compelled to mention, one of the many things I do not understand…do these men who are deserting their wifes not remember their vows? Remember “In sickness and in health…”. Nothing means anything any more to people…not vows, not laws, not promises, not trust, not ethics….I say Barb, that you are better off without this man who would desert you. Marriage is not just about sex. It is far more. It is a partnership for one thing. Sex is only a small part of it.

I know what divorce is like, how it tears you apart, and I know the effect it has on young children. I have not remarried because I do not feel I can trust men, especially now. And I feel so broken, so damaged, so wounded I feel condemned to not only a shorter life, I could die tomorrow, a mesh spear in my side, but a life alone in so many ways.

And amidst all of these sorrows we are suffering, the slick shallow attorneys for advesaries accuse us of only wanting money, projecting their own disowned psychic content on us. They accuse us of lying, of exagerating while they exhibit powerful symptoms of cognitive dissonance.

Those who are weakest in the tribe (In this example those wounded by mesh) carry the evils committed by others in the tribe (the evildoer corporations) psychogically..rather .like a moth drawn to the flame each enters the others’ orbit. The evil doer corporation frees itself from sin by implanting their sin in the innocent victim. This is a little far out I know, sorry. Too many psych courses!

Bejah

8. Jennifer says:

Thanks, yes it is.

9. Jane R says:

Yes, I’ve had tons of dental work since my implant. I have had many root canals and broken crowns.

Have one now and the insurance will only pay for half and my share would be $450.00. If the tooth

gets bad I’ll have to have it pulled. My copay on that is $75.00. Just had a root canal go bad a few

months ago and that tooth was pulled. They couldn’t save it.

I have health insurance but it doesn’t cover a lot of things. Copays at $40 for a specialist adds up.

I try and space things out but it’s hard.

No one has put a price on our marriages yet. Wonder how many have ended up in a divorce. What is the percentage. My marriage of over 30 years is heading that way. My husband has Aspergers and I can’t deal with him and my health issues. It was good when I could handle it all. Manageable. Being in limbo all the time with law suits, SSDI, health, marriage. It’s just too much.

• Bejah B says:

I’m so sorry Jane. Your marriage is meant to be a refuge, in times of sckess it is hard. And you have been together so long. There must be a way. I wish I had a husband now. Hope all goes as you wish. God Bless your husban.

Bejah

10. kitty says:

Does anyone know if Dr Raz has encountered mesh too dangerous to remove ie previous partial removal?

• Bejah B says:

Kitty, That is a very good question and I will be very interested to see what the response to it is from all corners of the community. Thanks.

Bejah

11. cruci says:

To that person about dental problems, I myself lost all of my teeth due to lupus which developed from the meshes I had , so please ge ta complete blood work done

12. Rhonda says:

Does anyone know if the longer you’ve had the mesh in, the higher the chance that it will not be able to be removed? I’ve had mine in since 2009′ I’m only 44 now, I’m afraid that because I’m so young and the mesh has only been in me for 6 years that maybe that is the only reason my complications don’t seem to be as serious as others? I’m just wondering if because I am already having some complications that it is inevitable that I will be ending up with the serious complications that others are having. I too am trying to get to a doctor that will acknowledge that my issues are related to my mesh, an ongoing battle, that unfortunately when you’re not feeling well is just that much harder. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that has any answers for me.

• Lea says:

You may be one of the lucky ones that are not allergic to the mesh –are you in pain I.e lower abdomen, lower back, are you in pain after sex? My mesh was put in 6-2011 and my body knew immediately something was wrong –aching pain in my lower abdominal area after urinating, bloating, constipated feeling even though I went to the bathroom –it took 3 1/2 years for the urinary tract infections to start and I have had 4 since March –best part is I don’t know I have them at first because my insides burn at a low grade all the time –the gynecologist and urologist insisted nothing was wrong to the point that I was beginning to think I had cancer -and then I found this web site –I am going to another city to see a urologist –he is running tests 8-5 and then we will see if it can be removed –I will let you know –the thing is you might not want to have surgery for surgeries sake because there are also slit of risks with surgery -I hope this helps you

• Rhonda says:

Thank you Lea, I have had intermittent pain in my abdomen, groin and pelvic area, it’s not always there just seems to come and go. I do almost always have pain during sex and a lot of times after sex I feel like something is pushing on my urethra (or something) all I know is that it is a very uncomfortable and sometimes painful feeling. Is the pain you are experiencing and bloating, constipated feeling etc. non stop or does it come and go?

• Lea says:

Rhonda, my constant pain is very dull and then I get sharper pains throughout my abdomen. The burning in my urinary area Is low grade and constant -the new doctor says that my pelvic floor muscle is in chronic pain from trying to stop urination –the pain in sex is terrible because of it. But I am older and my husband and I have basically given up on sex. My worst time is night when the pain will wake me –also it is worse after urinating in the middle of the night –when there is a really aching feeling in my abdomen and then the quick pains hit –I never get a good nights sleep!! But the worst part is having had 4 urinary tract infections since 3-2-15 (that is 3 years and 8 months after the surgery) these really worry me and are why I was forced to find a different doctor –so on Wednesday he will run 2 tests and I guess we will talk about what alternatives I have –now that you have further described your situation I think you should also find another doctor –one that will listen to your symptoms–I am sorry I left it go this long when I knew I was in pain but my first doctor tried to tell me it wasn’t the mesh –I should have known he wouldn’t help me-fear of malpractice

• Rhonda says:

Thank you Lea I appreciate the information. My Urologist isn’t the one that put my mesh in it was another doctor that was on a military base and he is no longer there. I did just find out that my doctor uses the same SPARC sling as I have so no wonder he doesn’t want to acknowledge anything is wrong. I’ve only been married for 6 years and so I just endure the pain without even saying much to my husband afraid he won’t have sex with me anymore if he knew it hurt as much as it does, I mean he knows it hurts some, I just thought it was from menopause starting or getting older so I just thought it was normal. I usually don’t get infections unless having sex so I am not sure why you would be getting them, but I do get them all the time it seems. Good luck to you and I’m so sorry that you are in so much pain.