Four Years of News on Pelvic and Hernia Mesh Problems

Jane Akre

Jane Akre

Happy Birthday to Mesh News Desk.   Four years old this past August began the journey.  From 2,500 mesh injury cases then, there are now more than 83,019 pelvic mesh product liability actions filed in one court.  Meanwhile, hernia and pelvic mesh problems continue to mount as does mesh litigation. To add to these staggering numbers, pelvic and hernia mesh is still used and even referred to by some as the “Gold Standard” despite the evidence that in some folks, it is a nightmare.

This is not just a U.S. problem as we export our mesh products globally and the number of pelvic mesh injured women rises to one hundred thousand lawsuits globally.

The pelvic mesh problems continue to rise but solutions are few. Settlements are paltry and clearly do not address the scope of the problem for today, much less into the future.

Want to learn more?  Please don’t hesitate to use the SEARCH BAR on Page One upper Right Hand corner to enter your inquiry.   See the About Us page to see how we work.  Each individual topic (in light print)  can be clicked to see a cascade of stories from the past.

When Mesh News Desk (aka Mesh Medical Device News Desk) began four years ago, multidistrict litigation (MDL) was about to be created. The MDL amassed all similar cases in one court to prepare them for trial – in this case federal court in Charleston, West Virginia before Judge Joseph Goodwin.

A lot has changed since then.  There are now as of September, over 83,000 transvaginal mesh cases filed before Judge Goodwin who has a mountain of mesh mess before him.  How to get through it is the challenge and no judge has ever had so many cases in one court.  You will be hearing a lot about settlement efforts and the numbers. Women are told by their law firms to wait out a settlement.  Unfortunately, those numbers do not approximate anywhere near what the mesh survivors have lost – their health, their jobs, their homes, their husbands, pain and suffering, future losses, lost time with children and families that can never be retrieved.

As a publisher, Mesh News Desk will do what it can to provide information to empower those injured.  This is not intended to substitute for advice from your law firm (your editor is not a lawyer or a doctor) but there are far too many stories of law firms failing to communicate with their clients. Some women have never talked to their firms and have no idea if their case has been filed!

Mesh News Desk can help bridge that gap by publishing news releases that speak to many- on average 5,000 to 10,000 readers a day.  Law firms might consider running a PR release here to reach a niche audience of readers. Sponsored content will be labeled as such. An advertiser-based business model keep this effort alive!

Increasingly this site has become about the reader and all submissions that have sources linked where applicable or express your opinion are welcome.

PayPal donations are much appreciated. See Page One. My co-editors appreciate it!  And donated travel miles will help pay for upcoming trials which always yield much insider information on how mesh made it to market.  Much of the information is shocking.  How could you ignore the early signs that there would be problems?

MND co-editors

MND co-editors

Stay well everyone. I’d love to hear your thoughts.   Let’s carry on shall we?

~ Jane Akre, Editor

Mesh News Desk

janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com

1. Mari says:

Jane,

My embarrasingly meager donation thru Pay Pal did not come close to Reflect my thanks to you. Its the only reaource I have for support.

Please everyone- just donate $10-$20 every so often to Jane- maybe in total it will help it have sustainability.

No amount can ever reflect the emotional health your supportive, resourceful help gives us.

Respectfully,

M.

Hi Mari-

Thanks so much… only if you can. I know many cannot and I want them to take care of themselves first. I’m so glad to be of service…. thanks for saying so.

2. fran says:

You are an ANGEL!
    Thank you for all of your hard work. You think of us and our well-being before yourself
    You keep us all informed. (Again thank you!) Which our attorneys do not.
    I have been in the system for 5 year. With (1) email from my attorneys in that time.
    Last thanksgiving we were told that the manufacturer that made and sold my mesh had settled for a substantial amount of money.
    But by the time all is said and done. $40,000.00 $60,000.00.
    How very sad, that there are people out there who thinks my life and well-being is enough to compensate me for a life of pain and suffering.
    There is no justice in their reasoning.
    Again thank you for all you do.
    Fran Lane
    (Victim)

Fran- You are a survivor!!!

• cruci says:

I feel all the pain n suffering for which we’re going thru I too lost a husband of 35 years, due to all damages n pain, but our health n life has no price, no matter little or huge amount could not bring our life back to how we were, now some of us can’t even socialize at church or other family gathering, or even go to stores to do our own grocery shopping, we try to survive with help n love of family members who still stand by our side, god give ms Jane n other ladies fighting for all of us who can’t afford to go to courtrooms.

3. Donna says:

Hi Jane, and Happy Birthday indeed. I have a thought. Instead of marking an article as “New” put the date it was published. There a quite a few “New” articles and they aren’t new anymore. It would maker it easier for those of us who can only check this site periodically to know when the article was posted. Just a thought. Have a great day!

4. Carmel Berry says:

Jane, Quite simply – yes please!! Your site is a goldmine and I refer people to it often.

Keep up the great work.

Carmel.x Kia Kaha from New Zealand.

5. Sheila says:

I last talked to the law firm who took my case about two months ago. The person that replied to my e-mail told me to be expecting paperwork in the mail for my claim against AMS. He told me two other companies would also be involved in my settlement – one being Boston Scientific and the other J & J. Has anyone received any paperwork like this? Thanks in advance.

• Donna says:

I was told the same thing in January 2015. I emailed my Attorney’s office about a month ago was told they haven’t received the paperwork yet. I can only assume they haven’t gotten to my case yet in this MDL. With thousands to address I’m sure it is quite a process. Good things come to those who wait (I hope that’s true in the case).

6. annonynous says:

Happy Birthday and thank you from the bottom of my heart for the information you provide. Without this site I wouldn’t know anything as my lawyers don’t contact me but I keep them up to date. Not sure how to let them know how important it is to keep us informed,seems all they are concerned about us their 40 percent. I have been through he’ll like many others Johnson and Johnson has destroyed my life.

7. Mary says:

Greetings too all. Just want to know how can you check for your name on the courts docket?

West Virginia….. Google So District WV
      Open – your particular md
      Click- Numerical cases
      Right hand corner- put in your last name and direct it to search by Plaintiff

That should do it!

8. Bejah B says:

Yes, Happy Birthday MMND/Jane. Thank you…

Bejah

9. Brenda says:

Jane,

Are all court doc’s on West VA even if you live in another state? I live in Boston so not sure where to check?

Brenda

Depends on where you were filed… you can check WV. Go to google and put in So district wv. Click on your manufacturer. Click on numerical cases. Upper right hand drop down box put plaintiff and your last name. Voila! C.R. Bard and Ethicon /J&J were also filed in Mass. Here is the site to find your name and see if you are filed there.

New Jersey court schedule