Ethicon Responds to Canadian TV Investigation on Mesh

//Ethicon Responds to Canadian TV Investigation on Mesh

Ethicon Responds to Canadian TV Investigation on Mesh

In response to W5’s investigation, here is a statement issued Saturday, September 30, from Ethicon, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson:

We empathize with all women suffering from stress urinary incontinence, a condition that can be serious and debilitating. Pelvic mesh devices have helped millions of women suffering from stress urinary incontinence. There are limited treatment choices for women with stress urinary incontinence seeking to improve their quality of life, including surgical treatment with implantable mesh, which is backed by years of clinical research and is considered by most doctors to be the gold standard treatment. Ethicon is confident in the positive impact our pelvic mesh products have had on the vast majority of women who have chosen this treatment option. In addition, the evidence shows that Ethicon acted appropriately and responsibly in the research, development and marketing of its TVT device for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence.”

Despite repeated requests, C. R. Bard, Inc. did not provide comment.

By | 2017-10-02T22:20:29+00:00 October 1st, 2017|Sticky|7 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Dawn October 2, 2017 at 12:22 am - Reply

Years of clinical research ??? On whom ? Where was this data sheet in the dr.’s office?
    When Dr. McDonald was asked if she would have mesh used in her, she blinked and looked away from the interviewer… I was always told this was a telltale sign a person was fibbing ????Hmmmm

2. Teresa October 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm - Reply

There are no excuses for the amount of people affected by mesh damaging their bodies. The percentage of successful cases are not acceptable.

3. Lordhelpus October 3, 2017 at 9:04 am - Reply

This is only gonna get bigger. No matter how much they scratch and claw the reality is that their product has been, is, and always will be defective and harmful to the human body. They wanna brag about how long their garbage mesh has been in use and about how many drs yadayadayada….and I can’t help but wonder how many individuals have suffered and maybe even died, since the very beginning of this whole tragic mesh nightmare, due to the very same complications we’re having. And I also wonder how many of them complained about the pain and were turned away and ignore for the sake of the almighty $ just like its happening to us now, and I also wonder if these records can still be pulled out and investigated. You know, just for the sake of argument….hmm, food for thought…

4. Jane Akre October 3, 2017 at 4:53 pm - Reply

I hope viewers do not get the impression that the complication rate is 1-2%…. Clearly that is not true. See for example,

Complication rate 15.3% says Dr. Blaivas
    Hernia PT mesh infection rate 17-66%

5. Bejah Blue October 4, 2017 at 3:58 pm - Reply

It just makes my blood boil…I/we are all dying….we are in horrific pain all day every day, all night every night…struggling to stay alive day to day and these monsters continue their talking head assertions that this material which was never supposed to EVER be used in the human body, this material which JnJ successfully prevented experts to testify about, this material which has killed and maimed an tortured so many thousands….they continue to claim is some sort of “gold standard”…as if saying it long enough and holding the line would create some sort of truth. They know it is not the truth, they think they can convince the public that it is…even re-victimizing people with additional or replacement meshes…the “new and improved” argument. Are we as stupid, as naive as they think we are???? BTW Dr. Blavis has excellent credentials. I saw one person complain that he was too old…who was she…I did not know her, she appeared on the scene, made that comment and then vanished…I believe she could have been planted to discredit him. It does not take much and I believe there is not much they would not do to protect their product, their brand, their profit. It does not get much more evil than this. I will probably be offline until November as I have no money to pay my ISP bill. It comes with the territory. I will fight until my last breath and from Heaven I will wreak havoc on them to the extent I am allowed as a discarnate entity. I worry that they might try to really hurt Jane if they saw her as a really significant threat.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! Turn your weeping into rage women and lash out against them. Family company indeed! Bejah

• Jane Akre October 4, 2017 at 4:01 pm - Reply

Bejah, how much do you need to pay the bill? We dont want to lose you?

6. Anthony October 5, 2017 at 3:46 am - Reply

I hate how they don’t even acknowledge the men that they hurt. I was very proud of this report for shining light on both men’s and women’s suffering. It’s as though they want to minimize their accountability by only admitting to what they have to. Hernia mesh damage is better hidden within the abdomen. Their day is coming.