Dr. Twiss On Transvaginal Mesh, Removals, Concerns and Consent

Dr. C. Twiss, Urologist, U of Az.

Dr. C. Twiss, Urologist, U of Az.

Christian Twiss, MD  is a surgeon at the University of Arizona’s Department of Surgery, division of urology. He is a Board Certified urologist by training with a sub-specialty and certification in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS). Dr. Twiss studied with Dr. Shlomo Raz at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) between 2006-2008.

I miss him, I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat,” he says. “He’s given me helpful tips and tricks. It’s easy to put in mesh but it can be quite a difficult and complicated procedure to take out mesh depending on what type of mesh is put in.

Dr. Twiss says half of his practice these days is mesh removals.

He talked with Mesh News Desk Editor, Jane Akre.

Q: A lot of doctors do partial mesh removals, why do you think Dr. Raz seems to be able to remove more mesh completely than other doctor can?

Dr. Shlomo Raz, UCLA Urology

Dr. Shlomo Raz, UCLA Urology

“You need to be consistent and you need to be willing to literally go deep into the pelvis to remove the mesh from its attachment point. And different surgeons have different degrees of comfort doing that and when you go deep into the pelvis to take out mesh you definitely can incur some risks, particularly hemorrhage.  There are a lot of big blood vessels deep in the pelvis and it can be intense getting the mesh out. I also know there are a lot of patients who’ve had these partial mesh excisions and they continue to have pain and discomfort until somebody goes deep in the pelvis to get out the mesh arms. Not everybody is comfortable doing that. It’s not easy. My experience is that it’s better to go in all at once to get the whole implant than piece by piece by piece. Sometimes you go in and cannot find it anymore, whereas, if you could take out the whole implant as one you can find the mesh in an easy location and follow it down to its insertion point and remove the whole thing. Dr. Raz has expressed that to me it’s better to take it out at once.”

Q: I think he said it acts like shrapnel when you leave lose pieces in the pelvic region. Who knows where it’s going to go? Is that your experience?

A:  “Yes absolutely, but unfortunately sometimes that’s necessary, sometimes there is a small piece you can’t get out. Sometimes there will be a small piece near a major vessel and you keep trying to get it out but if you get significant bleeding from that major vessel sometimes you have to take out what you can and over sew the vessel. Every patient is a little different so you don’t know what you can expect. It just takes patience and persistence to get it out.”

Q: Do you have access to a translabial ultrasound?

A: “We started doing that in conjunction with our radiologist here. It can be very helpful especially in those patients who have had a prior mesh excision. It can help us identify which arm is still there and which arm is not still there. You kind of know where to go to find that residual piece of mesh. It also gives me objective confirmation there is definitely mesh there versus some scar tissue. So we are definitely finding it helpful using the translabial ultrasound.”

Q: Is that in every case prior to surgery?

A: “Not every case. There are some clear cut cases if someone had a sling put in, you can palpate the sling and no one has worked on the sling so you know where to find it. I tend to use the translabial ultrasound on patients where, number one, they may not know what procedure they had or what was done,  if we do not know if there is mesh or where it’s located. Those are the cases we find translabial ultrasound most helpful.”

Q: Are you still using transvaginal mesh?

A:  “Less and less. I kind of cherry pick patients for that. Since the FDA warning came out I did read the recommendations and for transvaginal mesh for prolapse. I think the placement for that has fallen down to the wayside. I’m definitely putting more mesh in through the abdominal route with the sacrocolpopexy procedure and I don’t push mesh on anybody. I offer everything – mesh versus non-mesh versus the old fashioned repair with sutures.

“The problem being as we back off from mesh there is a potential for increasing failure rates. Some people say I don’t care, I don’t care if I have a high risk of failure, I don’t want mesh in me. I say fine, so I don’t push mesh on anybody.   I consider my role as trying to educate the patient on the options they have and I really want the patient to kind of help me figure out what’s best for them. I started doing the old fashioned harvesting the patient’s own tissue for their sling for example, the autologous pubovaginal sling, an operation that has fallen by the wayside I think is seeing a comeback because of this reason.

And I have a bigger and bigger series of patients who don’t want mesh or have had a mesh disaster and don’t want mesh anymore. We offer those patients their own fascia the graft for a sling or for prolapse repair or we use cadaveric fascia lata or another biologic implant. I counsel the patients – here are the numbers we have, if you are willing to accept a higher potential risk of failure, I’m willing to do the operation – because the patient needs to be happy with their choice.

“And I think part of the reason we have a lot of these mesh issues is because mesh was kind of pushed on patients and it was put in and then we have problems and nobody knows what to do about them or there is not enough experience to deal with the problem with the mesh so the patient feels abandoned and essentially they have been abandoned. And so it’s also important if you are going to use the material you need to feel comfortable fixing any problems that happen with it and be committed to the patient.”

Q:  We heard during the mesh trial (Ethicon) that the manufacturer (Johnson & Johnson) never trained doctors on how to remove it.

A:  “To be honest if I do a potential mesh implant I’m not comfortable putting in anything I’m not confident I can get out entirely. I started out cutting my own piece if I was going to put in mesh. I was resist to all these kits on the market because I personally did not agree with the method with which they were being placed, with these large needles that were a blind passage, I don’t like that. It disagrees with my concept of what surgery should be. Surgery should be careful placement of whatever you’re putting onto the anatomic structure. And for that reason I rejected a lot of those kits, I never adopted that procedure. I was always in favor of doing a careful dissection and knowing exactly where to place this material because, God forbid, if there is a problem you as a surgeon should be able to go back in and get the whole thing out.

“So that’s kind of my policy. If I’m going to put mesh in a patient, and that is what they’d like, I  don’t use an implant I’m not certain I could get out if I had to.  And I haven’t really had to do that very often, in a handful of cases, but when I’ve had to do it I’ve been able to get it all out including the anchors. To me that’s important because I don’t want to be the person who is abandoning my patient and saying I can’t help you. I have to sleep at night. I can’t live with that.”

Q: Informed consent is always the issue that most people complain about, they had no idea. What are you telling women prior to surgery about mesh to have a full and complete informed consent?

“So I’ve adopted a strategy where I educate the patient about all the options – there’s transvaginal placement, there’s mesh versus non-mesh and I really want to hear back from the patient about what they would prefer. I try to educate them about the main risks and benefits of each because the non-mesh procedures also have potential risks and complications associated with them. There is no complication-free procedure. I educate the patient and figure out what they would prefer and where they’re leaning and sort of help them along the path of decision making.  I found that to be the best. I think it’s collaboration between the patient and the physician, that’s the way it should be.

“I’ve moved from booking surgery quickly to – We’re going to talk about the broad strokes available and you’re going to come back for a whole other visit to sit and talk about what you’re most comfortable with. I now have a separate office visit to talk about options.  I definitely allocate more time counseling patients about these issues. If we are going to do a mesh procedure, the main issue with mesh is vaginal mesh exposure which could lead to repeat operations and some patients experience pain and discomfort related to the mesh.

“And definitely we’ve learned if you are going to place mesh you should use the lightweight, low weight, minimal mesh implant. In other words, don’t put in too much, it should be the least dose to get the job done. I counsel patients about all the risks in the FDA warning, I also counsel them about the other options, biologic materials, and our experience with biologic materials. Basically there seems to be less potential risk of exposure and if it does it tends to heal over on its own. That’s an advantage; the disadvantage is there seems to be lower success rate as compared to a permanent mesh implant. And that’s fine. I’ve had a lot of patients come in who say I’m not comfortable I don’t want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. That’s fine. I’ll offer them their own tissue or a biologic implant. This is for prolapse by the way.

Autologous sling, Ob Mgt.

Autologous sling, Ob Mgt.

“For sling surgery it’s either mesh versus your own tissue.  For a simple anti-incontinence procedure, still the majority of pelvic surgeons regard a synthetic mesh as the standard of care. If it’s placed properly it’s efficacious in the long term. There’s good data on that with relatively low complications and morbidity.  Nonetheless you could still make a sling with your own tissue and accomplish the same goals. So it really should be up to the patient. And the issue with that is if you do an autologous sling they need to be aware you have a larger incision from the belly where we harvest the graft you’ve got to recover, which takes longer. But if the patient is happy with that and they’re happy to be without mesh I’m happy to offer it. The patient needs to be an active participant so that they are comfortable with what’s being done. And they need to be educated and I think that’s the issue here, patients have not or were not counseled regarding the risks of mesh. That’s problematic. You can’t do an operation on someone who has not been counseled about the potential risks they face.”

Stay tuned for Part Two Wednesday here.!

Christian O. Twiss, MD, FACS

Associate Professor of Surgery

University of Arizona College of MedicineDirector of Female Urology, Pelvic Medicine, and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery

Department of Surgery, Section of Urology

University of Arizona Medical Center

1501 N. Campbell Avenue

P.O. BOX 245077

Tucson, AZ 85724-5077

Phone: Office 520 626 6236; Clinic 520 694 4032

Fax: Office 520 626 4933; Clinic 520 694 2404

1. stopmeshimplants says:

This is great news Jane. Do you know what the time frame is for securing an appointment for a consultation and for surgery? It is nice to have options because of the long wait at UCLA. He was trained by the best!

• Christian Twiss says:

Its about 3-4 weeks for new appointment. My O.R. wait time varies depending on the amount of mesh being removed but its usually somewhere between 8-10 weeks wait time. Because of this, I often book the removal on the day of initial visit and perform any additional workup in the meantime.

2. jade says:

Jane – Great article. Now this is a true doctor who took his Oath seriously and lives by it, unlike most of the so-called “surgeons” who took their took an oath to the manufacturer and the dollar. This article is factual and realistic. Dr. Twiss does his homework and customizes each surgery to benefit the patient, both physically and psychologically. This idealogy offers the best chance of a successful outcome. Bravo to Dr. Twiss!

3. Nonie Wideman says:

refreshingly honest and telling it like it is and should be told…. the truth about options and informed consent

4. Jane Akre says:

It is nice to have a doctor say He’s doing his best and will not abandon his patients. How refreshing considering what some of you have been through…. Thanks for the comments. Anyone with a good doctor story please contact me. We need to hear there are more competent and compassionate doctors out there. ~ Jane a.

5. A meshed-up nurse says:

As a nurse, one of the largest problems with the entire transvaginal mesh debacle has been the outrageous lack of informed consent about the very serious complications that could and have occurred from TVM.
    The resulting patient harm from doctors uneducated and unprepared to manage and treat the many times very serious injuries (and pain) that were occurring more and more frequently is an abomination to women and mankind. Dr Twiss is correct when he says that many, many women were abandoned by their doctors and the “system” in general. This only added severe emotional distress, clinical depression and PTSD, to often-times horrific and untreated pain for months or even years on end.
    This nightmare is on-going because the TVM for SUI products remain on the market and doctors without skills to place this mesh or, heaven forbid, try to “manage” it, usually by snipping it in the middle “to release tension” or performing a “partial”, continue to use the product.
    In most cases, TVM remains a BLIND procedure, meaning the surgeon uses a tool (like a sickle, imo) to “blindly” bore through the pelvic tissues, believing that if they “remain in the (proper) plane”, they will not cause harm. Never mind that these are one-size-fits-all kits, that no two of us are the same, and that they cannot “see” what they might be “nicking” or going through.
    This brings me to the development of auto-immune type symptoms that develop, many times suddenly and severely, very soon after synthetic mesh is placed in the body (and usually greatly improve or go away after mesh is removed). This includes development of or exacerbation of symptoms and syndromes such as thyroid problems, rashes and bodily “sores”, usually on the trunk, perineum, and thighs, sinus problems, flu-like feelings, widespread muscular achy pains, severe fatigue, lupus, hypertension, diabetes, chronic, severe infections, especially urinary and/or vaginal and even diagnosis of c-difficile (from constant infections) are common complaints of many who have synthetic TVM.
    Thank you Dr Twiss for your surgical skills and for your commitment to truly informed consent, making certain that a woman is aware of the current, updated knowledge about all of the options available to her.
    Thank you Dr Shlomo Raz for your awesome surgical skills, and for your willingness to spread your vast amount of knowledge in this area to other surgeons who can then help more of the injured, and for your commitment to improving the lives of as many mesh-injured women as you possibly can.

6. Carmel Berry says:

Thanks Jane… interesting that he still suggests synthetic mesh for bladder slings is a ‘standard of care’. That’s a long pull back from ‘this is the gold standard’ that some surgeons are still promoting to patients.

• Christian Twiss says:

Most pelvic surgeons still regard the autologous pubovaginal sling as the true “gold standard.” It still remains the operation we fall back to in cases of complex reoperative surgery including prior mesh removals. That said, it is not an operation without its own set of possible complications. This is why I think patient counseling is so important.

7. Still Suffering says:

Jane, thank you for interviewing Dr. Twiss. I saw him a couple of times for another opinion, the first over a year ago. He said “mesh has gotten a bum rap”. I heard that line from two other physicians and it upset me to say the least. I showed him publications proving shrinkage, rejection, erosion, infections from scientific reports. He quietly listened to me and expressed sincere sympathy. To hear that he doing mesh surgeries “less and less” is great news. That shows he’s a humble surgeon willing to respect what his patients (and science) are saying to him. It is refreshing to hear he has ideals to live by and says “he has to sleep at night”. Bravo Dr. Twiss!! Your whole approach to informing the patient is what women want. Thank you for devoting extra time for the consultation. Finally, we can truly make an informed decision.

Hi Suffering~ Thanks for your additional perspective. The wise among us are willing to change our opinions in whatever direction that might be. I get the impression that many doctors are not seeing the big picture, the number of truly devastating injuries AND from slings as well. Still remember- some people do fine, at least in the short run as far as we know. Those might be odds you are not willing to take. It is truly perplexing!

Please add your sling injury information here so Dr. Twiss and others can see it.

And as always~ Stay well~ ja

8. Mary pat says:

Seeds of hope have been planted by people like Jane and Aaron, Dr Raz and now Dr Twiss. People who care! You make this world a better place. Thank you.

9. Nonie Wideman says:

Dr . Twiss , as an advocate for Canadian women trying to find centres of excellence to get mesh removed when it isn’t being “managed” skillfully in Canada ( I hate that term “managed “as it implies it is acceptable to suffer) can you see yourself accepting Canadian patients if I can convince |Canadian Health authorities that we would trust our bodies and health to someone who does a significant amopunt of mesh removals and has a thumbs up from patients rather than being a self promoter ? Second question, knowing that FBR , chronic FBR causes systemic ills like autoimmune diseases do you refer your patients to specialists after you remove mesh (which is part of your specialty identity) ? i asked my mesh removal surgeon if he would refer me to someone who could help me with my suspected autoimmune problems after suffering fro FBR for over three years.. I got blown off as if it were nothing!! I have researched relentlessly and know that when mesh goes wrong it is not just a vagina or urethra or bladder problem…women have legitimate reason to believe and suspect autoimmune damage and it frustrates me to no end when they do not get looked at as a whole body … it is a whole body injury and immune system insult and I am looking for doctors that recognize this and work with their patients and other specialists as a team…realizing that each deals in specialties , and with that in mind provide support to get the patients to the next specialists that can assist with recovery from mesh complications. Sorry I am getting on a long spiel but I am passionately concerned for the women left floundering without post operative care… I don’t believe my explant surgeon cued my primary caregiver on what to expect , watch for, and what specialist to refer me to for chronic pain management etc. I am suspecting you are one of the doctors who will be seen as standing tall above the crowd and have seen your name on many medical articles while doing research …so I am not surprised by your view and above the norm higher standard of care for your patients. who would you send your wife or mother or sister to to see after you removed a defective incompatible mesh from their bodies ? What info would you give the doctor who referred them to you for mesh removal and pelvic reconstruction? What specialists would you send them too and what field of expertise would best handle their FBR and autoimmune complications? thank you for a response and thank you for allowing Jane to interview you …. you are truly a to be considered a redeeming ray of hope for your profession who have taken and deserves some hard hits for their condescending attitude and cavalier acceptance of mesh related injuries.

10. Aaron Leigh says:

Wow- finally from a doctor and in public:

11. Aaron Leigh says:

What about the leeching resin? What about the widespread knowledge that Polypropylene is not inert and is toxic for humans? Can Dr. Twiss answer this?

“For sling surgery it’s either mesh versus your own tissue. For a simple anti-incontinence procedure, still the majority of pelvic surgeons regard a synthetic mesh as the standard of care. If it’s placed properly it’s efficacious in the long term. There’s good data on that with relatively low complications and morbidity.”

• Betty says:

I don’t believe it. I know too many harmed by SUI mesh. Including me. Mine worked great for almost 2 years and then it shrank. That is what I’ve come to believe. Mesh can shrink. It can degrade. Our bodies weren’t meant for petroleum by-products. I wonder where the resin they are using is coming from? We know Bard cut corners, but what about the others? Has anyone traced that part of the process?

Just wondering, To me NO MESH is acceptable. There is grave risk with it. I also read on some report that mesh lasted an average of 84 months. That is 7 years. The “old fashioned” procedure also did that and more.

12. g guest says:

I know we all have our own stories to tell of what we have gone through with doctors after mesh was implanted that kept lying to us over years of pain and suffering. , no matter what each woman has a different story to tell of the hell , she has been put through.

My question is, , I have heard many tell other problems they had before implant of mesh, but dr. raz, and dr, twitt, should know and answer the questions of the women they have tried to remove mesh, what do we all have in common , we know on going urinary tract infections and more., that was not happening , ON GOING AS IT WAS BEFORE MESH IMPLANT. WHAT HAS HAPPENED, TO THE YOUNG AND OLDER WOMEN THAT WE LOSE STRENGTH, AND NEVER SEEM TO RECOVER THAT BACK? i KNOW ANTI BIOTICS AFFECT OUR IMMUNE SYSTEMS, AND WE LEARN TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, TRYING TO REBUILD STRENGTH, THAT DOES NOT COME.

tHAT WOULD WEAR DOWN THE STONGEST OF PEOPLE, in so many ways. Why would attorney’s after knowing the suffering woman have gone through, put more stress on clients to not answering phone calls, and all they want to say is trust me, when you do not even know them, and tell them trust has to be earned, after so many llies from doctors and more, it’s so hard to trust anyone. mind games of attorneys that some are doing, establishes no trust at all, especially when you call and ask them about legal questions. THEY KNEW IN THE BEGINNING WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO TO SOME WOMEN SO THAT THESE CHEMICAL COMPANIES WOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY OUT, SOME OF THE ATTORNEYS IN THOSE CITIES AND TOWNS OF THE CHEMICAL COMPANIES AND JUDGES ALSO. JANE THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL BOUGHT OFF. WHEN THEY PUT YOU OFF INTO ANOTHER STATE WITHOUT TELLING YOU,

TELEVISION MEDIA THAT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO LIE ON TV EVEN ABOUT MESH CASES, TO PUT OFF TO THOSE CORRUPT.

the women come out with nothing, after states that should have gone after medical doctors and got paid off , insurance companies that paid them for lying to patients and charged ins, outrageous bills , knowing the mesh was not fit to be put into humans. crimes, I do not understand why these and I know there are thousands to the thousands of women they damaged for life, but just because they are medical doctors , does mean they are not above the law and broke their oath to saving lives to destroying them for greed of money. THIS SURGERY SO MANY HAD HOPES THAT WOULD GET THEM BACK TO SOMEWHAT OF A NORMAL LIFE, A LOT OF DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE IN THESE CRIMES, EVEN NOW ATTORNEYS ARE THE JUDGES CORRUPT WITH NOT SEEING THAT THE WOMEN ARE NOT GOING TO COME OUT WITH ANYTHING AND THESE CRIMES, WERE THEY COVERED UP BY POLITICIANS AND MORE THAT COVERED FOR THEM, JUDGES AND MORE, TO NOT ALLOW THE PUBLIC TO KNOW, THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS  AND THE FDA DID NOTHING TO STOP IT, WHY?????

AS i SAID BEFORE , FIGHTING THE INFECTIONS AND PAIN, NOT KNOWING 1 DAY TO ANOTHER WHAT WILL BE GOING ON BECAUSE OF THE MESH INSIDE THEM MOVING, SOMETIMES YOU CANN NO EVEN GET OUTSIDE TO GET YOUR NEEDS MET, 1 MINUTE IT IS MINOR PROBLEMS OF PAIN AND INFECTIONS THE NEXT SEVERE, PAIN THAT TAKES YOU OFF YOUR FEET, i HAVE NOTICED IT YOU SIT TO LONG YOU HURT, IF YOU ARE ON YOUR FEET TOO LONG IT IS WORSE AT NIGHT, BUT THEN PAIN HAS GOT SO SEVERE , OF PAINS THROUGH THAT IT TAKES YOU OFF YOU FEET FOR OVER AN HOUR AND YOU HAVE TO LAY DOWN UNTIL IT PASSES, VERY SEVERE. i HAVE LEARNED CUSSING DOESN’T DO ANY GOOD, 1 MINUTE PRAYING THE NEXT CUSSING. IT’S ANGER THAT COMES OUT WITH RAGE, OF ALL THE HELL i HAVE GONE THROUGH FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS..

BUT TO KNOW , THAT THERE WILL BE NO JUSTICE FOR THESE CRIMES , AND FOR ALL THE LIVES THEY CAUSED PAIN AND SUFFERING, TO THOSE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES, OUT RAGES ME MORE. ANY MONEY WILL GO BACK INTO THE CROOKS HANDS THE DOCTORS AND NURSES THAT LIED , ATTORNEYS, AND CHEMICAL COMPANIES THAT HAVE THEIR GUINEA PIG ANIMALS AS WE AHAVE BEEN TREATED FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES IF WE HAVE TO CONTINUE GOING TO DOCTORS , FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING TO BE CUT ON AGAIN , AND HARD TO FIND TODAY A DOCTOR THAT WON’T LIE >>>NOW ATTORNEYS, WHAT THE PEOPLE DAMAGED ARE GETTING ION COURTS , 1 AND 2 MILLION IS NOTHING TO WHAT THESE COMPANIES AND DOCTORS GOT ON LIES AND COVER UPS..

EXPOSE THEM PRISON IS WHAT THEY DESERVE, AND THOSE ATTORNEYS COVERING UP AND LYING TO CLIENTS NEED TO GO WITH THEM AND ANY JUDGE THAT IS TRULY IS NOT CORRUPT WITH THEM , WOULD SEE THIS TOO. THEY ALL SHOULD LOSE EVERY PENNY THEY MADE ON MESH, TO THOSE AND NOT ANY STATE GET 1 PENNY SINCE MOST GOVERNORS AND POLTICIANS , GOT FAVORS TOO, BIG BUSINESS, GODS , ABOVE THE LAW AND LAWS OF AMERICA, TO CORRUPT ALL THINGS, AND IF SOMEONE DOES NOT BOW TO THEIR CORRUPT WAYS, OF COVERING FOR THEM. >>>i KNOW TO WELL WHAT THEY CAN DO SO SNEAKY TO ANYONE , THEY NEVER GET A COURT DATE, AND ONLY MORE LIES. i CANNOT STAND WITH PEOPLE LIKE THESE AT ALL, NO WOMAN OR MAN THAT STOOP SO LOW AS FDA, AND CHEMICAL COMPANIES AND DOCTORS AND NOW ATTORNEYS, >>>JUDGES IF THEY DO NOT SEE THE WOMEN SUFFERED AND SHOULD BE COMPENSATED NOT ANYONE ELSE , FIND OUT WHAT THE COMPANIES MADE TOTAL ON MESH, THE DOCTORS, AND NOW ATTORNEYS, AND DIVIDE EVERY PENNY THEY GOT IN LIES AND GREED CRIMES WITH EVERY WOMAN THAT A DOCTOR HAS CONFIRMED, AS WE ALL HAVE RECORDS WE GOT WHERE SOPME WROTE IN TRUTH THE MESH CAUSING PROBLEMS, BIUT THEY WERE TRUTHFUL ENOUGH TO SAY THEY COULD NOT HELP BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE KNOWLEDGE TO REMOVE IT.

i don’t know about the other women , but I am 1 that can stand on truth, that’s why the attorneys didn’t like me, cause I do not want an attorney that will not represent me in truth, no mind games , no lies , just the truth. I have had enough lies from men and women , that I trusted.

13. g guest says:

i KNOW WHY i WAS TOLD TO CLOSE ALL WEB SITES THAT MIGHT BE TELLING OF MESH, THE GAGING OF WOMEN NOT TO SPEAK, THE ATTORNEYS KNEW THE DOCTORS WERE GOING TO BE TREATING WOMEN LIKE ANIMALS TRYING TO FIND OUT WHY THEY WERE SUFFERING, PROVOKING WOMEN TO ANGER , ON PURPOSE ATTORNEYS BOUGHT OFF TO MAKE SURE CHEMICAL COMPANIES DO NOT PAY FOR CRIMES AND MORE THOSE THAT COVERED FOR THEM.

the only way women like me and others could find out info, was on web sites like this one started women, with questions , that doctors and more had already been told not to answer and treat women worse than an animal in exams and more, but getting paid also big money, by ins. 1 doctor that treated me bad , I asked how much he charged for that 1 visit and it was way over a thousand and he did nothing, but treat me worse than an animal his nurse catheterized me, without telling me, jabbing the catheter in me, that I came off the table in pain, and said you just catherized me, she said yes I did, I said why didn’t you tell me you were going to,do it. I have been told in my life time right before , by nurse that there would be a sting, but I was not even told I was going to be catherized. at all. more and more, because when it got out and more women damaged it was already in plans what medical would respond to the women damaged , to cover for their colleagues, many doctors over almost 5 years, no help. most of the time refused medicines I needed to fight infections. IT GETS UGLIER THE DEEPER YOU DID FOR TRUTH AND THOSE THAT COVERED IT UP, EVEN TO NEWS MEDIAL.

14. g guest says:

tHE GOOD DOCTORS SHOULD BE LINING UP TO TESTIFY FOR WOMEN, AS SHOULD THOSE ATTORNEYS THAT KNOW THE WOMEN HAVE GONE THROUGH HELL AND HAVE AN ATTITUDE OF NOT TRUSTING ANYONE, AFTER ALMOST 5 YEARS OF HELL WOULD YOU. i WILL BELIEVE SOMEONE WHEN THEY HAVE IT IN WRITING AND , SEE THEIR ACTIONS SHOW THEY CAN BE TRUSTED.

SOME WOMEN SHOULD HAVE KNOWN SOONER THE DOCTORS THAT SHOW MERCY TO THEM AFTER SO MANY HAVE NOT. IT TOOK TOOOOO LONG AND SOOOOOOOO MANY COVERED IT UP . NOT THE ALERTS THAT ALL NEWS MEDIA SHOULD HAVE TOLD PEOPLE ON LOCAL AND NATIONAL NEWS, BUT EVEN THOSE DOCTORS AND NURSES THAT SHOULD TOLD THE TRUTH AND NOT LIED TO THEM. TOOOOO LONG, SOOOOOOO MANY, TOOOOO LATE, FOR SOME AND THEY KNOW IT. BUT STILL THEY DESERVE TO SEE COMPENASATION AT THE MAX THIS NATION HAS EVER GAVE TO ANYONE, WITH NOTHING TOOK AWAY.

i AM SURE MOST WOMEN WOULD NOT WANT ANY PART OF WHAT THEY DESERVE FOR LIFE PAIN AND SUFFERING TO GO INTHE HANDS OF THE RICH GREEDY , LYING SCUM THAT HAD ANY PART OF WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH., ESPECIALLY THE LYING POLITICIANS AND MORE IN THEIR STATE ,

15. Bonnie S says:

My doctor that put the mesh in did not tell me that he was putting in mesh I had pain from the very day he put it in I went to him for help and he told me to go away and some people should learn to live with pain meaning I have to live with the pain.he has been called up before the board for not taking care of his paients.Dr miles howard.Phoenix Az

Patients should learn to live with pain?? For an entirely optional procedure that likely had alternative treatments that did not involve mesh? Arrogance, stupidity, ignorance, denial, cruel, not qualities of a great doctor.

16. Ma says:

I had the mesh put in Sept 15, 2009 and in 2012 I started getting UTI’s often. Never had UTI’s before this and my Doctor says it is not the mesh. In 2015 I had a UTI almost every month and I don’t like being on antibiotics, but had no choice. I am a big water drinker and eat healthy and drink cranberry juice and also take cranberry pills. The last UTI came on suddenly and was one of the most painful I have ever had. I do have a high tolerance for pain and this was extremely painful. Now I am having lower abdominal discomfort and am again wondering if it is the mesh. I am wondering if there is a test that can show the condition of the mesh. I had a CT scan for something else recently and asked if the mesh could be seen. The results couldn’t show the condition of the mesh…are there other test??? I am thinking of getting a second opinion and contacting Dr Twiss.

According to Dr. Raz, the ultrasound imaging is the only one that can see the mesh…transvaginal ultrasound. the only downside is it cant see through bone and must come with a competent technical. Your doctor sounds like he needs a refresher course in reading….

17. susan j says:

i just want everyone to know that i have had my bladder sling in since march 3 2014 constant problems with UTI’S AND as of OCT 4 2016 my hair started falling out in clumps and flakes over took my scalp by NOV 11 2016 my hair was completley gone sudden yeast skin rashes under the breasts and by the groin area i have never had skin problems let alone dermatitis one month is all it took to kill off all my hair this implant has caused my immune system to go so out of wack i know have immune deficiency problems and all my blood work comes back fine i never had these problems i am 42 years old and this is long term affects of my implant yet no matter how many emergency rooms i have been to urgent cares dermatologist primary so far none will link it to my mesh yet more and more research i do the more i realize its my mesh cause others suffer with the same types of problems i want this removed i am tired of not being sure that i am going to be ok after all of this its scary especially for my kids
    you cant pay enough to take care of the damages this has inflicted on me and my family everyone and their families that have been implanted with these mesh should be stopped all the way around no more

Susan- It sounds like you need a doctor and maybe a lawyer. let us know where you are and what kind of mesh you have so folks can jump in with recommendations…. thank you and I’m sorry.