Budke v. Ethicon Pelvic Mesh Death Case Settles!

Camden Co court

Camden Co court

Mesh News Desk, January 15, 2015 ~ Following a two week trial the  wrongful death, pelvic mesh case of Joan Budke settled just before it was to go to the jury.

Without knowing any specifics, our court watcher reports the Budke v. Ethicon case settled Wednesday afternoon January 21, after a two week trial. She approached the area where one is scanned into the courtroom and saw J&J attorney  Christy Jones talking with jurors. That is not allowed if court is in session and atrial is underway.

The court watcher asked what happened? Jones didn’t say anything but Johnson & Johnson attorney Dan Ball said “We settled.”

The litigation team was lighthearted and chatty with the jurors she observed.

Budke family

Budke family

Prolift Case Ends

A settlement means no details about the case will be made available to  the public and generally there is no admission of liability. There were no punitive damages allowed in this case.

The preponderance of the evidence was what the jurors needed to consider to come to their verdict – was the Prolift mesh defective in its design, its manufacturers and its instructions to doctors? Was it responsible for the death of Joan Budke?

Our court watcher spoke to two jurors who felt that the infection in Ms. Budke came from the mesh and they were inclined to believe the plaintiffs’ presentation to the 15 person jury. Other jurors lingered to speak to the plaintiffs’ lawyers after the trial.

A settlement means the family does not have to wait for the appeals process to linger in the courts like the February 2013 Prolift mesh trial of Linda Gross who was awarded $11.1 million. That case is still under appeal.  The family has seen no monies.prolift box 200

Prolift System Pelvic Mesh Repair Kit is no longer on the market. It and three other meshes made by J&J were quietly voluntarily removed from the market allegedly for business reasons in 2012 but were still sold overseas. The mesh is used to treat incontinence and prolapse and is made from refashioned hernia mesh, the Gynemesh PS.

There has never been a defective product finding for the Prolift. That could have happened had the Budke case gone to the jury. By settling, the company avoids that label. However, the Ethicon mesh sling, the  TVT-O, has twice been determined in product liability litigation (Huskey and Batiste) to have been defective in its design.

Editor’s Note* ~  No amount of money will ever replace a lost life.

1. sandy says:

is someone finally getting smartJohnson and Johnson knew they could not win this and I just pray that maybe God intervene for the family sake no amount of money can never replace the mother and the wife but at least you can send a clear message to all makers of Nash we know you did wrong and so do the juries stop trying to make it go away stop pretending you are not in the wrong start standing up and doing the right thing and paying women what they deserve so that they can maybe get further treatment or further help so maybe they don’t want to used cars and families and marriages for some of us it’s too late but it doesn’t have to keep going on.

all I can say is at least thank you Johnson and Johnson for stopping the circus and paying this family no help all the other people that are hurting please. I know many of you are going to say that I’m being too nice to Johnson and Johnson but I’m not a vengeful person I’m sad and many days angry but all I’m asking for is to be treated fairly I think that’s all any of us want to be is treated fairly respected and compensated for what we lost I pray this family can find peace going forward

• Connie says:

I agree Sandy !! Man up , get your conscience & heart right with God. I’m not so sure people that deliberately know they are a part of harming & causing the death of some people will make it to heaven . I have always loved Johnson & Johnson’s products like baby powder & lotion . If I could afford to buy it over cheaper brands it smells so good. Little did I know they made all of these other things . If I was told I was creating something that harmed so many even if it innocently or deliberately done I would ask for forgiveness . I would like you Sandy RIGHT A WRONG !! To spend millions to deny the harm that gad caused others is morally wrong . They have had such a good reputation WHY KILL THEIR GOID WHOKEDOM FAMILY IMAGE !! For days I have set here burning & hurting so bad from many revisions and crying my eyes out. I just want to hear someone say I’m so sorry if we had of only knew . Instead I get no proper treatment , regular Dr. Is afraid to treat me. I have to wait weeks to see the specialist while I’m feeling like I’m dying inside . I would go go the streets if I knew how to find pain meds if I knew it would help me. I’m constantly having horrible nightmares because of it. I’m no good to those I love & all my friends no longer care to hear it . It’s so horrible I really don’t think people care to believe it therefore I feel so alone in what life I have . I was talked to like a dog by a lady at UAB yesterday . Has ANYOBE else been told in their condition yo go but a vibrator & that it would help with muscle spasms . I am almost 59 I was so humiliated . HELP US LORD my bottom rips if I do the Hearst bit iof anything !!! I sad, confused, hurting, burning, falling down , hair falling out, nerve struck . I am breathing but I’m barely living . I know I’m a burden to my family . I am trying to forgive those that knew this could happen to ladies but my heart is broke for my family that have saw me set back & die right in front of their eyes . My two grandsons saw their momma die from breast cancer at age 31 . The hell they are seeing me Indure will scar them forever & my other grandchildren as well . I see the looks on their faces, my wonderful son my precious husband & other family . It needs to end for them but I don’t have the courage to do it !!! Please forgive me I’m so tired & weak . Thank you Dr. Aldaher who tried to help me but had no clue how.

• Janet B says:

Connie, and all other ladies suffering from mesh complications, please join our facebook-based support group. 350 women who all know from experience what this feels like. We support and encourage each other, and offer information about doctors and procedures. https://www.facebook.com/groups/317477065098820/

• lstover says:

Do not give up hope, your grandkids would probably admire you for giving it the fight of your life. Time with you and what you say, they will remember. God bless you and your family. Talking with others in your same situation does help.

• Tonya says:

I just went back and read a few comments. Yes, I was also told it was a “simple” procedure. That must have been in the advertising part to get doctors interested in getting rich with a “simple” procedure. They could be cutting edge and get prestigious notaraity not only from the hospital but from all these women by keeping their bladders from falling out and hiting the floor while they were working! I was horrified that could happen to me. I said, “On no, please fix it before that happens!” My doctor was a gyn but he called himself a urogyn. So, I tried to sue the doctor not knowing he used any mesh or anything. I was never told. I just knew that every day was like waking up from surgery…and something was terribly wrong after the six weeks and I started bleeding at work and had to rush home and lay down. Every day is like the day before. Pain like I just woke up from surgery. I sure wish there was a procedure to cut the nerves from sending my brain the pain signals. I’ve been on pain medication non stop sin e my surgery. I’m just getting to the point where I’ve got to start increasing my pain medicine. I’ve been very good about not abusing my meds. I am trying to live as long as I can but somewhere down the line, there has to be a compromise…. Quality of life over Quantity…..I would rather not have any pain but that is not an option even taking pain medicine. I always get pain break throughs during the night….like I said, every day is like the next day….I hate bedtime. I cry every night. I know what is coming ….up and down all night long going to pee and half time nothing comes out but it feels like it until I go back to bed and I’m back up in 10 min again…….Sorry, got off on a tangent. I’m feeling a lot of pain and I have to make myself go to bed.

• Lana Keeton says:

J&J is not being nice in any way, shape or form. Next week Judge Goodwin has ordered every single attorney for the plaintiffs and for the defense to show up in West Virginia to settle. Ethicon/Johnson & Johnson do not want a multi-million dollar award to the Budke family to be public to be used as an amount that you and other women should receive. The real potential value of most cases will never be known by the mesh injured patients. It’s about diminishing their losses.

• Erica Neidhardt says:

can you tell me if it is true that all attorneys are to be in West Virginia next week to hopefully settle with J&J?

All attorneys will be in West Virginia next week where Judge Goodwin will encourage settlements for ALL manufacturers. He cannot possibly handle all 72-thousand cases before him! Yes.

2. sandy says:

I ment Mesh — and won’t have to lose houses, cars, families etc I apologize the meds I am on after my surgery really effect my speach. I just pray that all medical companies will start to put an end on this horrible situation. did they ever think about asking one of us what is the best medical product if there is one to help with urinary incontinence and other things maybe they should go to the source for the answerI would like to believe it’s not all about money but it is about helping women to live the best lives we can unfortunately it sounds like it was more about company profits and that is very sad

3. kristine says:

I’m happy for the family but sad they had to lose their loved one. Mesh has destroyed everything in my life.

• Carin Bennett says:

Jane,

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your writing. I also have the same ole story, my life was stolen by Ethicon when I had a mesh implant. I won’t bore you with the details. My question is: does an article exist that gives a schedule of all the bellwether trials/ trials in chronological order? I’ve searched and searched and can not find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Carin

• Maria says:

Carin,

This mesh issues is a nightmare. I had the TVT-O from Ethicon and Johnson and Johnson. It has ruined my life and I can barely walk and there is a list of health problems i have . Waiting till next year to get an apt. Just for a consult to get this mesh removed. I fear for my life! I pray that us women can all come together and make sure this is taken off the market so no more injuries can occur. Bless you

4. Jane Akre says:

There were several times sitting in the courtroom I wondered- Why are they not settling?

5. Aaron Leigh says:

One word: Devastated.

6. abandoned says:

HOW WILL WE EVER KNOW HOW MANY PHYSICAL DEATHS AND SUICIDES ARE THE OUTCOME OF MESH COMPLICATIONS? HOW MANY MEN AND WOMEN ARE STILL RUNNING AROUND FROM DOCTOR TO DOCTOR STILL UNAWARE THAT THEIR MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS, LACK OF DIAGNOSIS, CHRONIC INFECTIONS, CHRONIC PAIN, CHRONIC FATIGUE, BRAIN FOG, DEPRESSION, ABNORMAL LABS, CYSTS, AND CRAZINESS IS SECONDARY TO THE ADVERSE EFFECT OF THE MESH IN THEIR BODY? THERE ARE THOUSANDS WHO STILL HAVE NO INFORMATION TO CONNECT THE DOTS…THE SYMPTOMS COULD START IMMEDIATLEY, START TWO YEARS LATER, OR BE INSIDIOUS!!! I NEVER WOULD HAVE TIED MY ISSUES TO MY MESH PROCEEDURE IF MY DAUGHTER HAD NOT SEEN THE ADVERTISMENT ON TELEVISION AND CALLED ME. SHE SAID “MOM, DIDN’T YOU HAVE MESH FOR YOUR BLADDER? BECAUSE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IT ON TV…IT IS THE SAME AS YOUR PROBLEMS. THAT IS WHEN YOU CHANGED!” I TOLD HER KNOW THAT THE DOCTOR SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY BLADDER OR THE MESH. AS THE MONTHS CREPT BY….

• Dan says:

Does anyone know a family practitioner in the Nashville, TN area that is familiar with mesh related problems? Thanks, Dan

• surgeryinmay says:

dear dan….

please don’t waste your time in nashville.in knoxville…. get your things together and go to dr raz at ucla.. no one in the state of tennessee can help.. i promise you.. i know.. i am 40 years old, mesh has ruined my life.. NO ONE HERE WILL BELIEVE YOU…ive had 4 surgeries in 6 months by 3 different drs. . oh how i wish i would have known not to do that.. you can fly southwest, they were really good to me. and then stay at the tiverton house, you can ride the free shuttle. Dr. Raz knew.. he knew that all my problems were MESH..and that i STILL HAD MESH IN ME.. He believed me..that meant so much, I hate that i have to wait so long.. I’m trying my best to be patient.. to stay well..it would be so easy to give up…

all of this i so so sad.. God bless Budke family.. so.sad..

big hugs.

• Joe says:

4 surgeries in 6 months? That is awful.

Did you try PT? My wife went to PT after both her revisions. She started PT 6 weeks after surgery 1, but did not get far, the mesh anchor on right side was left in and aggravated her so any type of PT was was limited on right side. After second surgery(which was very difficult for her, 5 nights in hospital) and her 6 week heal, she started again. She was miserable for the first month of PT, dry needling helped but not much. Eventually the PT told her she needed to push through the tremendous pain deep tissue massage caused and do it. My wife did with help help of Percocet and the results are amazing. She gets terribly nauseated from the Percocet, but we are fortunate it live in Colorado, where marijuana is legal. It works amazing for the nauseated feeling, and likely helps her relax as well.

Before she had pain with sex, said there was a horrible bulge on her right side, felt like something was falling out of her between her vag and butt. The deep tissue messages broke that up, and now that feeling is gone, she can have sex with no discomfort vaginally. Now though she has lots of issues with the crease of her groin, lots of aching, sex is uncomfortable in most positions because of this. However after PT sessions she is close to 100%, but it always returns. If she is in a hot tub she is 100% for about an hour before the ache returns. She still gets tons of weird nerve sensations(zaps, hot/cold) but they are way less than before. I rub her leg often to keep them loose so she is more comfortable. All this takes place on her right side.

I think that my wife would have thought surgery was the answer, but she is terrified of it and wanted to really push herself as much as she could, the results of PT have been spectacular. We’re both cautiously optimistic that further surgeries will not be needed. We’ve been told that the type of nerve damage she had from the surgery plus the constant nerve irritation from having the mesh in for years will take at least a year to heal, which means the road to recovery is really long for these removal surgeries. The nerves in this area are extensive and the tissue is extremely sensitive and nerves take forever to heal.

When I see 4 surgeries in 6 months I really question the competence of the doctors, PT absolutely must be tried, and time must be given between surgery. I can only speak anecdotally here, but I know my wife thought she needed more surgery after 9 weeks post op she eventually had a breakthrough though and PT and time was the cause.

• surgeryinmay says:

dear joe,

yes , 4 surgeries in 6 months.. thats not counting having my ovaries and tubes removed 5 months before… I’m still trying to cope with surgical menopause.. i think those problems were Mesh, i shouldnt have had that surgery.. but i didn’t know any better.. the last doctor i went to he set me up an appointment with a “pelvic floor specialist” at a local therapy clinic. i went, she never had a mesh patient, i thought i will give her a chance. i tried it for 3 weeks.. it hurt so bad. i would leave there in tears. i don’t think it helped me at all. i think it made me worse. i went back to the dr for follow up, he asked how therapy was going, i told him not good at all and it made me hurt worse, he handed me a rx for hydrocodone and appt to come back in 3 months.. HE said you have to take these to have quality of life. That is not QUALITY of life to me… I left there in tears too.. just devasted.

I’m glad your wife is doing better, i hope she continues to get better and stronger. you are a good man for helping and supporting her.. love my husband, he’s good too..

i hope and pray that one day i can type and say I AM BETTER!! I hope and pray WE ALL get Better.

• Lorri says:

Thank you, for sharing your story because I to am looking for other alternatives instead of surgery; because the 1st mesh was implanted in early 2010, 2 excision/revisions later the arms on both sides still remain and migrating fragments from the 1st excision. I just pray that the specialist I’m due to see in a couple of days listens and help me come up with a treatment plan that is going to give my exuberant attitude and health back because I’m only 47 with the gait of a 87 year old. I just try to stay positive and believe that the dr, attorneys, and manufacturer’s have morals and live by the ethical vows that they took.

• Connie says:

Dr. Rene Ward is a great urogynocologist at UAB. She tried to help me.

• Dan says:

As I’m sure yall know, it is painful for my wife to take anything but a short drive and she needs to see a doctor frequently. Thanks for the lead but we need a doctor in Nashville.

• Linda says:

Dan I was really unable to travel . You can arrange to have a wheel chair from the time she arrives until the time she leaves the airport. There are hotels close to the hospital at Ronald Regan UCLA that provide a shuttle back and forth to your appointments. They have a kitchenette so you can pick up a few things in order to eat. There are small stores within walking distance. DR. Raz’s staff will coordinate, so your appointments are back to back. if you let them know you are from out of state. It seems Dr. Veronikis does the same thing. Women that have had partial removals have reported they do not do well. The surgical procedure needs to be done by someone who specializes. Many doctors have told women they can do the removal, yet have been unsuccessful. I know it is crazy to travel long distance and spend all that money but if you listen to how bad women have it when they have surgeries by doctors that don’t do it regularly, you can see why we go to only the few that have removed hundreds. I will pray for the 2 of you. I sought treatment at our trauma hospital here. The only one in our state and they take the most difficult case that are airlifted to their facility. They have a very good reputation. The problem is even they don’t have the equipment to locate the mesh during testing. UCLA has the ultra sound machine the can detect it..You have to be so cautious. After my re-construction surgery, Dr. Raz order a cat scan when I got home b/c he thought I might have a bowel blockage. I did the cat scan in NM. I had an 8cm ovarian cyst. I went to a gynecological surgeon here, who wanted to remove both ovaries the following day. I just had reconstruction and was devasted, not even a month had gone by. I sought a second opinion and the 2nd surgeon was very aprehensive about the damage another surgery would cause.She monitored me every 3 months with ultra sounds and consulted with the radiologist that she selected. After 1 year it resolved itself. It was likely the result of the surgical trauma. I was so thankful that she was conservative. You can’t trust every physician. There is a book out. I think it is called unaccountable. It is written by a surgeon and he is very honest about our medical system. I am so sorry the two of you are going through this. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for staying with her. I was in so much pain that I was done with it. I felt and was a burden. unable to do anything, constant doctors appointments, different treatment attempts, no relief, inability to move about much less have sex. I wondered why he did not leave. Sometimes I wanted him to leave because it was such a miserable life for him. Yet he stuck it out . The men that stay need to be commended because we are difficult, sick, angry, non functioning women. We feel good for nothing and the truth is we are good for nothing. THANK YOU FOR CONTINUING TO LOVE HER AND STAY BY HER SIDE. No women needs to do this alone, yet many do.

Dan- everyones comments are true… only go to a mesh removal expert who does many mesh removals! that’s my opinion…. Miklos and Moore and Veronikis and close to Nashville. Dr Azadi is in Louisville KY. Also very good.

• abandoned says:

Dear Dan, I do understand about short trips, the pain from sitting and exhaustion and stupor from any little bit of spent energy. For the last three years…I quit traveling, going to stores or anywhere else…other than doctor’s appointments. In June, I went to my pain management doctor and conceded that it was time to take out the big guns for pain. I was tired of ice packs, TENS units, Lidocaine Patches (that could not be placed in certain areas), steroid injections and nerve blocks, homeopathic and herbal remedies, I was tired of not being able to take Tylenol or NSAIDs due to diverticulosis, liver cysts, kidney cyst, etc. I told him I wanted something powerful that would not cloud my mind or make me stupid. We decided together to try Oxycontin an opoid. He tried me on the minimal dosage of 10 milligrams which is time released over 12 hours. It changed my life…did not repair anything, However, gave me the ability to sit and drive on a tailbone cushion for three hours without crying out in pain, or having to sleep for two days after the arrival at my destination. I am not a doctor and not telling you what your wife should take. What I am saying is a pain management doctor, can assess her situation and help find something suitable for her. It may start with injections, if that is the case…only go to a pain management doctor who injects into the spinal area under the guidance of an imaging machine. Some physicians do give blind injections.

Family practitioners, as well as others…are reluctant to prescribe serious pain medications and for good reason. Pain Management Specialty is the prudent way to go. For me personally, once my physical pain was under control…I was able to walk around, had a standing makeshift desk made and started doing things standing up, the energy depletion from the pain resided and allowed me to use that energy in other ways. In addition, with the pain gone from my tailbone and pelvic area, it made going to the bathroom easier. My pain doctor has listened to me and read about articles on mesh which I provided. He knew I was not a drug seeker, due to my strong opposition to try everything else first. My prayer for you, your wife is to get her out of pain, so she can move and think. Once she is on the right regimen for her, for right now…I believe the two of you will be able to consult with some physicians close by (doing your homework). Then, gather all of the helpful information provided to you by the dedicated and gracious folks on this site and pick an experienced mesh and pelvic reconstruction surgeon for the next leg of your journey. I can not do anything about the last 2-3 years and my pride/judgement about narcotic drugs. BUT, I regret the time and energy wasted in excruciating physical torment that was absolutely maddening and completely un-necessary. So, if I can be of any help in helping you find a good pain management doctor, feel free to contact me. I know three very good ones, who know other good ones in different geographical locations. My email is rainmaker512@yahoo.com.

• Linda says:

Dan, I am not familiar but I can tell you from my personal experience it is best to go to the specialist that deal with it every day. It is worth the trip or you end up paying endless co-pays to be told there is nothing wrong. It seems Veronikis is reputable

• Bev says:

The one truly competent Dr to treat your wife is at UCLA. He is Dr. Raz. Read about him on this web site, Google him, when your done doing your due diligence you will come to understand. It took me 4 yrs to finally understand. Save yourself all the money and time go to him at once.

This problem can not be solved by just a good Dr. It takes a Dr with many many yrs experience to be able to remove completely. Others only do partials. Partials are worse than no surgury.

Do your due diligence.

• Disgusted says:

Dan,

I understand your concern. I agree with above women – Dr. Raz is the best. The only answer is to get it all out. Partial removals make it worse. No matter what the experts say. I know of two urologists in Nashville who will tell the truth – as good as they are they both acknowledge that Dr. Raz is the go to guy. Dr. Melissa Kaufman and Dr. Marcy Abel in Nashville. My experience is this is way above the ability of a primary care to help.

• Carol says:

Dan;

Listen to the wealth of comments. They are pointing to Dr Raz for a very good reason.

For the following reasons;

1. Competence

2. Equipment

3. Efficientcy

4. Low costs to get there and stay there

5. Getting there is easier that driving to your nearest center

6. No other Dr yes I mean no other Dr can help your wife plus give all the other benefits that he can

7. When he enters your space it is as if God just entered the room. I am convinced that God follows this man everywhere he goes.

8. Save your self and her years of agony trying to find the right Dr. He is the only right Dr.

• MarieAnn says:

Dan,

Dr Raz saved my life from the anterior prolift! I live in the Eastern US and I would not be here if I had not heard of Dr Raz from a fellow mesh sufferer. I was going through a lot of what Dear Joan went through… it has been very hard for me to follow this trial. He is the most caring doctor I have ever had and so skilled.

God bless you and your wife.

• Dan says:

Thanks, Will follow your advice

• K Lee says:

Hi Robin. I, too, had an ethicon product. TWO of them. A total prolift transvaginal mesh which emcompassed my entire vagina intended to repair a rectal, bladder and uterine triple prolapse. And one I did NOT need.. TVT sling Implanted as a PREVENTIVE MEASURE. I had no incontinence before implant as proven Preop by urodynamics. But after that surgery in 2007, I had every kind of incontinence imaginable … So severe My bladder could empty with no warning .. And I leaked. Had every kind BUT stress incontinence but the multiple mesh removal surgeries after caused that too. Also had urinary retention, painful bladder spasms and so much more. And the PROLIFT? Omg I had that in me for 7 years and by the time I went for my last removal surgery, I had lost my job, my career, my good memory and sharp mind, my house of 17 years, my credit. My ability to do the things I loved. In constant pain, developed foreign body reaction that wreaked havoc throughout my entire body. My partial removals were done by a good urogyn, but I went to one claiming great success in full removal in another state and although I think he got most of the mesh, he butchered me and I now have new problems and many of the old issues returned. None as bad as before but After 7 years of Prolift, a full removal that took over 8 hours, five days in the hospital, multiple postop complications and infections, months and months of healing and self cathing for four month (i still cant pee normally), over 200 internal stitches and multiple internal cuts including one from cervix to anus, two six inch external incisions on my labia major requiring approx 75 stitches… Wow. I had PTSD from that for a long time and refused to get medical help… Terrified of doctors and hospitals. The birth of my granddaughter snapped me out of it mostly but I still have flashbacks. And now I swear I can feel MORE mesh eroding? Lord no more surgery please!! I implore ladies to go to dr raz at UCLA. There they can scan to see exactly where the mesh is and dont chop up your entire pelvis and hips searching for it. Every woman I spoke with that went there had a much safer and less invasive, more precise surgery than I and I beg you NOT to go anywhere else. It is a tricky surgery and only a handful can do it… But only ONE place has consistent results that dont seem to damage you further and chop the crap out of you. My doctor also completely threw me under the bus when I contacted him to report my complications. Said his surgery was so perfect. Pain, incontinence, scar tissue, bowel damage… None of that OR ANY complications were possible. And then just ignored my calls. When I finally reached him and asked if I could come to have him take a look, he said I shouldnt bother… It was pointless and I would be disappointed at wasting my time because he would just tell me the same thing… Couldnt possibly be the surgery. So ladies, it is not just the implanting physicians… Thre are mesh removal “experts” out there as well treating us so horribly. I have always said things happen for a reason. By WHY in God’s name would this happen to us? Take care all and be well. And take great caution in choosing a doctor if you are having a removal.. Even if he has a website filled with glowing comments. I know of several others butchered by the same physician with the God complex and I again implore everyone to find a way to UCLA. God’s blessings and prayers for strength, hope and healing for all

7. Teresa Jones says:

Missouri had not compensatory cap so the sum could have been any value that the jury picked. As I researched wrongful death averages in the nation it was $2.9 million. So, we may not know but we know they did not want to go to a jury. Thank you for your coverage.

8. Debbie says:

Thank you Jane for all the write ups and every body who sent the information to you,Question did the Dr get charged with malpractice it just says they settled with J&J or was it all in one sort of thing.Even though this shouldn’t have been dragged through the courts like it was with this case I’m really thank full they had enough common since to settle hopefully it’s helps in some sort of way knowing justice was served.

9. Jane Akre says:

One juror told our court watcher she did not think the doctor was at fault!

• jade says:

Jane – Thank you for your unrelenting coverage/opinion. I have developed a graphic that I thought might be helpful to the Cause. I will email it directly to you for consideration. The fight was advanced today with yet another settlement. These manufacturers know all to well that they are losing the battle against the TRUTH. We must all continue to believe in the Cause and keep the pressure on the Defense. They are surely cracking under the weight of their crimes against women. Keep the faith….

10. stopmeshimplants says:

I understand why that family accepted a settlement. To relive the horrific details of their wife and mother’s illness and death was heart wrenching. I am so thankful for their courage to testify and that they were able to share their experiences. I pray for all of them and they have my eternal gratitude. God bless you Budke family.

11. Debbie says:

Thanks for letting me know Jane it’s a hard one to say its a victory for us as someone died a wife mother grandmother a friend breaks my heart.

12. kitty says:

thanks Jane for all your reporting

13. Hope Pagano says:

Thank you Jane for all the reporting. Just think of all the money J&J could have saved had they just settled with the family in the first place. Insanity!!

14. Jane R. says:

Hope the other companies follow suit. Thanks again Jane.

• jade says:

15. stopmeshimplants says:

Hope, then those defense attorneys wouldn’t have made all that money while defending Johnson and Johnson. I think we all know who the smart ones are in these cases and it is not the manufacturers. They are just being strung along by their attorneys.

16. Deborah Boggs says:

Thank you God for the outcome…..God bless the family…Can u find out about the two woman n court n San Antonio Tx.. they say it going to go on for 6 weeks started 1/12/15. Thanks

17. Melanie says:

Jane,

Thank so much for all that you’ve done for us. Keeping us informed. God Bless!

18. Emmie says:

God Bless You Budke Family.

Thank you Lord above for anwered prayer.

One day you all will be together. You know an Angel that you can call by name.

She is watching over you and is always with you.

BELIEVE and watch for signs from her.

19. Linda G says:

Thank you Jane and others that kept us informed..u r truly a blessing.God bless the Budke family that they may heal.

20. Linda says:

WOW it never ceases to amaze! Check out yahoo news, top story Johnson and Johnson 7.2 billion suit against Boston Scientific.. HEADLINER!! Where are the mesh settlements and awards?

21. Linda says:

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: ACTION NEEDED

The editor and author of the story that came out on yahoo have their e-mails posted.

Lets all send an email today pleading for them to do a story on mesh. Here Johnson and Johnson is seeking billions while they destroy evidence and continue to market products that are leaving us maimed.

EMAIL ADDRESSES: rvanvoris@bloomberg.net

Editor: mytha@bloomberg.net

Come on ladies maybe we can get them to do a story!!! The more shout outs they get the more they will listen. Attach the FDA warnings and anything else you can get them to pay attention too. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US

• surgeryinmay says:

linda,

(sorry if this is dumb question) i will be glad to send an email. I’m not sure if my email will help though??. my problem is the mini arc precise sling by american medical systems. I’ve sent them(AMS) several emails, I get an email back saying “we will have a rep contact you”. not heard from them. Mesh is MESH. it has ruined my life no matter who made it. I swear i had no idea about any of these problems until i seen it on tv, after my 2nd surgery may 2014. its all a mess. i just want women to know that these things will ruin their lives.

• Karen says:

Sent my emails also, wish everyone would do the same. Keep it going ! The squeaky wheel gets the grease ! WE CAN DO THIS!

• Mary Pat says:

I tried to send emails. I got a failure delivery notice. Are you sure the addresses are correct?

22. Linda says:

I sent my letters. If they get to work and open their e-mail to find even 100 e-mails from us maybe they will listen. Johnson and Johnson settled because they knew they would lose. They don’t want it talked about.The Budke family has inspired us to fight. It is not a coincidence that this story of Johnson and Johnson fighting Boston Scientific for billions is out today. Come on ladies, every e-mail counts
    The Budke’s believed in the fight. Now they are sworn to secrecy

23. Linda Romero says:

I don’t think the product matters. It is getting the facts out. The facts are the same for all of us! Infection, erosion, nerve damage, loss of jobs, loss of insurance, loss of marriage your list is not any different than the rest of the products. We all need to speak out. Thanks for helping

24. sandy says:

Surgeryinmay it does not matter the exact product what matters is if you had damage done to nerves or whatever because of the mesh. I too am a AMS victim I have been in pain for 3 years and I recently just went through another surgery about a week and a half ago I was very happy with what my doctor said though he confirmed that the scar tissue and where he had to get it out and away from the nerve was due to the mesh my suggestion to you would be to get a good attorney if you don’t have one and also send emails and keep fighting and just keep hoping that one day somebody will listen today is a rough day for me I feel sick and I don’t know if it’s from the surgery the stress and right now the hopelessness it comes along with all of this I’m so glad this family got something that they deserved I just wish we could all hear some good news AMS keep saying they’re making settlements but I’ve heard nothing I think they’re trying to push it down the road as far as they can before they really have to get serious they need to have their asses in court a few times and maybe they’ll start getting smart nobody is going to settle for 30 or 40 thousand dollars not when their entire life has been taken away from them and most days I just pray and go to sleep and not wake up I give all you ladies a pat on the back and a big hug for all your efforts for me this is just been a lesson in surviving because that’s all I do everyday I get up I can’t leave my house I watch TV I shower and go to bed and start overI just pray that someday it will be my turn to be healed it will be my turn to have AMS pay me what I deserve and someday all of us can wake up from the terrible horrible unjustified nightmare

25. Linda says:

SEND AN E-MAIL TODAY TELL THEM WHY YOU WANT A MESH STORY DONE:

rvanvoris@bloomberg.net

mhytha@bloomberg.net

They wrote a story out today about J@J fighting Boston Scientific for billions.

Come on ladies lets see what happens if we all send them an e-mail

What greed and destruction

26. Jan Urban says:

J & J probably trying to recoup some of their legal costs? I’d like to read the article.

27. Karen says:

Sent my emails too. I wish everyone would do the same. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. WE CAN DO THIS

28. surgeryinmay says:

Linda, I just sent my emails.

Sandy, I am sorry you feel bad.

A good attorney.. I’ve never had an attorney for anything. I swear it is so hard for me to trust anyone like that.. I really dont think they would help me. my family doctor of many years didnt believe me, my obgyn that put it in didn’t believe me, the urologist, more or less didn’t believe me, they both done surgery on me, then i find a urogyn…”i got it all, your pain is not from mesh” They Lied.. I decided to go to Dr. Raz . HE told me the TRuth this past week..He said “it is MESH. all of it needs to be removed,you will not get better till every bit is gone”

This is so depressing, so painful for all of us! Its such a sickness I’ve never had in my life.It would be so easy just to give up.. to quit

Big hugs to you Sandy.. to each of you. And to you, Dan and your wife. (I lay flat on my back when I have to ride in vehicle) please really think about Dr.Raz.. i keep thinking about you and your wife.

• Bev says:

Been through everything you have. Doctors do lie.

You’re in good hands with Dr Raz. Took me a week to get mostly recovered from surgury. Took 3 months for most recovery, took one year for almost total recovery.

You will notice once the mesh is removed that your problems did indeed come from the mesh.

You new life will begin again this May.

• Rhonda Lewis says:

So many of your stories about your mesh nightmares could have been written by me! I had my mesh surgery 11 years ago. I came out of surgery in horrific pain…pain so horrible, I thought I would surely die! What was suppose to be a day procedure turned into 4 days in the hospital. I remember how the nurses acted like I was being a big baby about the pain I was in. Even my urologist who implanted the mesh sling to hold up my prolapse vaginal walls said I was probably just one of those people who are super sensitive to pain. I actually asked to go home on the 4th day, not because I was all better, but because I felt embarrassed that I was still in so much pain…isn’t that crazy!?! I’ve had my gynecologist tell me the mesh can’t be removed because of the scar tissue encompassing the mesh. I’ve had my original urologist tell me all looks fine! I’ve had a specialist tell me he would TRY and remove part of the sling, but he couldn’t promise I wouldn’t be in worst shape. I’m so glad I didn’t let him experiment on me! My gynecologist just last year told me my insides are a mess…she used the words scar tissue and adhesions. Since the day of my mesh sling surgery 11 years ago, I have been in some level of pain every single day. I ache and hurt to the point of chills. My body feels like I’m coming down with flu. I feel fatigued, foggy headed, memory problems, pain in walking, pain in sitting, hard time sleeping, pain during sex. Four years ago, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis….an autoimmune disease. No one in my family has that! My lab work comes back with high inflammation numbers, slow thyroid, low D3 levels, anemia from RA. I’m on many many meds for the RA, including methotrexate which is making my hair fall out. I have been on Humira, Embrel, Remicade and am currently on Cimzia. These are called biologic drugs and the side effects are terrible. My life has never been the same since the mesh sling entered my body…and I grieve for the woman I use to be! If I were an animal, someone would be held accountable for the damage and torture I’ve endured….that all of us have endured! I’ve seen & heard the tv commercials about the lawsuits for the transvaginal mesh, and I know I am one of these victims. However, I need advice on which direction to go in obtaining legal representation. I would greatly appreciate any advice any of you can give me in steering me in the right direction. I live in Lubbock, Texas if anyone has a referral to a lawyer in this area…also, is it better to go with a class action suit or is it better to file individually. Thank you ladies for letting me join your group. It helps so much to know I’m not alone!

29. Linda says:

Thanks Ladies,

we have to maintain some sense of a voice.

30. Louise says:

I ‘m French speaking, and I don’t know if I understand, right, but does it mean that all manufacturers will reach a settlement for all the plaintiffs and their lawyers and people will get their compensations?.Does it, include CANADA, also?How long will the plaintiffs wait to get their money, so we, women can move on with our lives, even though we have to live with our pains,surgeries that we will have, emotional, mental and physical pains…the stress that women, including our families.will have for the rest of our lives…etc…Please, help us…We need good news, while we’re still alive.Hope CANADA is included, also…Thank you…

Louise I hope you have a law firm to ask that question of….. at the present time only AMS is settling but others are in the works…it’s all quite secret though…

31. anna cantu says:

Has anyone heard from AMS? I also wonder how many are going after the doctors who implanted the device w/o sufficient warning to the patient. Mine was implanted in late 2005 and I wonder if the FDA had even approved it at that time!

32. justme says:

Thank you for covering the trial and for this website. And blessings to the sponsors, court watchers, Jane, and everyone who comes here to help, share and cry. I am approved for the surgery for removal, but I too, don’t have the money to pay out of pocket. I want it so bad, it is all I think about each day as I, like others, fight off this pain.

Someone else wrote on this site how the Pharm Companies are bullying patients who ask for help on gofundme, and they all had to take down their pages due to hecklers. i pray this is a misunderstanding, and it will stop.

Dear Pharm Companies:

Please settle asap. So many lives depend on a positive outcome.

• Jan Urban says:

Dear Just me. Doesn’t your insurance cover the removal? I know deductibles are high. But most Insurances have appeals process and other aides to get a procedure done. Plus, have you mentioned to them the MDL? Hospital’s have programs to assist as well. Is it travel expenses? Jan

33. DB says:

Thanks to all you great people who sent thoughtful words of encouragement and prayers to my family and myself.

My wife Joan suffered a horrible death as a result of MESH EROSION all from a procedure which was described as IN & OUT (Simple)..

Then started 9 months of one doctor to another, one hospital to another and finally death.

My family and I decided on a lawsuit in memory of my wife’s death and to hopefully bring an awareness to other women from around the world to a procedure which had not been tested properly and really not approved.

So in regard to my wife’s passing and other women and those who are suffering, please pass on the dangers of this” SIMPLE” procedure.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Don Budke

• Mimi says:

It was an honor to shake your hand after court. It was an honor to serve on your jury. Thank you

• Mimi, I was an observer in two pelvic surgical mesh trials that ended in verdicts for the plaintiffs in Dallas, TX: Salazar and Batiste. In both cases I was so impressed by the conduct and commitment of everyday citizens who took their responsibility very seriously. I saw tears and very real righteous indignation that any U.S. corporation would victimize patients, cause permanent, severe and irreversible harm for profit and then try to justify their behavior. A fine/money verdict is too kind to the corporate leaders that consider this “business”. It is morally criminal and it should be legally criminal. Thank you for your service as a juror. It is the highest peacetime service that we can provide as citizens.

• Robin Herzog says:

My thought and prayers are with you and your family over the loss of your wife, mother, and grandmother. How tragic and having to go thru the pain and suffering. Its sad these pharmaceutical companies want to sweep everything under the rug while people are suffering and dying. I hope you continue to advocate for all of us who are still waiting for justice. God bless!

34. sandy says:

Surgeryinmay thank you for the hugs I’d like to suggest Dan Bolton he is in Aurora Hills California he is a caring and understanding attorney he may be able to help you I know I had an attorney before that I had to fire to. as hard as it is we have to be our own best advocate I’ve been thru four surgeries and right now I’m laying here trying to treat an infection from the last one many days I want to give up I want to go to sleep and just continue sleeping and dreaming of happier days but as a good friend Vicki from Arizona said recently you just have to keep praying and fighting as we all do somehow someway we have to believe in the possibility of the future

as far as AMS I’ve been told by a very reliable source that they are in negotiations with several big law firms I have not been contacted by them yet and I am a AMS victim I’m hoping that pretty soon judge Goodwin will send all the individual cases back to their attorneys and then I will be able to start having my attorney negotiate with them I refuse to be part of a mass settlement I heard one lady who had three meshes in her was offered $30,000 they must be joking there is no way in hell or damnation I will accept such a meger amount I am NOT greedy but in lost wages for the next 15 years I will have lost an extreme amount of money there is no guarantee I will ever be able to work again so I say to all of you get the mesh out that you can if you have pudendal nerve damage or entrapment I would say check out Dr Hibner in Arizona he is kind and gentle I will give you lots of hugs right now I’m just trying to hang on from one day to the next hoping that a year or two or three from now I will at least be able to walk somewhat without so much pain there is no guarantee that any of us will ever get a hundred percent better but we can try to hang on we all have stories with tragic events of horrendous pain I just hope the judge goodwin finally tells AMS you’ve had long enough to try to settle these cases and no one is buying what you dishing out so I’m going to order all these cases go back to the attorneys and let the attorneys fight for their clients because only my attorney knows what I’ve been through what I’ve lost what I’ve endured no mass settlement can ever do that perhaps they’re trying to weed out the ones that won’t cost that much and then go from there I don’t know my attorney tells me to be patient and so I will listen to him I really had no other choice we each will have our day I pray when we can look back and say now we can look forward to trying to rebuild our lives.

Don words can ever express how sad I feel for you and your family but know that she’s always with you as long as you keep her memory alive try to go forward try to rebuild your life I think your wife would want that thank you for speaking out and trying to help us all. God bless you and your family and I will continue to pray each day for you and for all of us women who have been unjustly victimized by these medical companies

• surgeryinmay says:

hi sandy, and All,

hope its been a good day! I have a question for you.. and anybody else that wants to try to help me understand…a little advice will be greatly appreciated. I went and seen an attorney.. NOW. Remember, I have never had an attorney, never dealt with an attorney, still have no idea what I’m doing… I just thought this is not right, these mesh makers need to pay for the damage they have caused many people. Today, my daughter went to the mailbox, she brought the mail to me, there was a RECALL for a part on my husbands VERY OLD TRUCK…. That piece of mail made me really think… It made me think about the mess I’m in, the mess that I’ve been in the past 4 years not knowing what was wrong with me… I don’t understand why i didn’t get a letter saying the sling is bad, you need to have it removed.. I DONT KNOW, it just makes no sense to me.. One little 30 minute surgery RUINED MY LIFE!

sorry, back to the attorney part, got sidetracked.. i called the attorneys office, i had a ton of records, the paralegal was very nice, seemed very concerned, told me if i had all my records she could see me as soon as possible.. so, my husband took me. we talked to her, she told me she would let me know what was going on. I signed several papers, i really don’t know what i signed, except that i wouldn’t have to pay anything, if i received any settlement , they would get a portion of it. i DID NOT get a copy of anything i signed. DUMB ass!! that is my own fault. a week passes. I’ve not heard anything, i called her, emailed her, no response. i email the attorney, told him that i just wanted to make sure i brought everything they needed, and i was a little disappointed that she had not been in touch with me after the way she acted when i met her. he emailed me back right away, apologizing that no one had retuned my calls. the paralegal emailed me the next morning.. she stated she had been working on my file diligently, but my case would not be filed or complete till after my removal surgery with dr raz… and my medical summary is be reviewed.. IS THIS HOW IT WORKS?? it really makes me very upset.. I’ve had 4 surgeries and so many infections,pain,depression,hives, losing my teeth, open nasty sores, just a sick stinky person, been to so many doctors. i emailed her back, her response , as of today, at this point, my lawsuit has not been filed..

like i stated. I’m very dumb about all of this, BUT I do know, i am hurt, i am injured, my life has been ruined, my kids and husband and family have lost a very important person,. ME.. their momma, a wife, a daughter, and a very true friend.. ALL BECAUSE OF A PIECE OF MESH FROM AMERICAN MEDICAL SYSTEMS…

Can i get a attorney for myself? does it have to be a class action? I honestly have no idea.. I know this all sounds so dumb.. i feel dumb. so dumb. you would think that i would know better.. I know that I’m not going to become a millionaire.. I don’t want the mesh makers to win, they have hurt so many people. they need to stop.

Thank you all..

• abandoned says:

We are not stupid! We trusted people because we are trustworthy…My daughter called me and asked if they had used mesh when she took me for my bladder procedure in 2010. I said yes, and she said…it is all over the TV (I’m not a TV watcher), Mom, you have to check it out…that is when you changed! Everything they are saying are the same things you have had since then!

I was not interested in becoming involved in a law suit, never had been in one and most of the people that seem to win are the ones that do it for a living with their attorneys. I had two ill parent’s, couldn’t sit for more than an hour, was exhausted and confused about what had happened to me. In addition, felt so helpless and so ashamed that so many things were happening to my body…I was drowning.

While checking email one day, a pop up for pelvic mesh came up. I filled it out and they started calling, sending papers, I told them my nerves couldn’t handle it. I could not be beat up or bullied anymore. They promised I wouldn’t have to deal with defense, just fill out some forms. It didn’t matter that I had no money, it would be a retainer and the cost would be split between all the plaintiffs-keeping cost down. Hurry, Hurry, Hurry, just sign and send. I did it against my gut thinking well if I am the plaintiff and they are representing me…what’s the harm?

The attorney’s will be sued when this is over if I live long enough…that’s all I can say for now.

We need an attorney feed, so we can share with each other. They are not all like Slater…he is a good one. Many are just hanging out waiting for the other attorneys to do the discovery and use their work. It’s numbers, playing the odds while inflicting massive stress and additional injury to their plaintiffs.

Your not dumb! You are honest and expect the same from others! God Bless You,

35. Disgusted says:

Thank you Don for your words. I know justice falls very far short of compensation. It really isn’t possible. I can’t believe they are still selling these products. I worry about those who have had their cases dismissed. No one seems to be ringing the alarm about the longer it’s in the worse it gets. I hate to see these women who are “not severely injured” five to ten years from now. There should be a huge push for funding that supplies all medical needs for the rest of our lives, this on top of the compensation to date and punitive damages. To put a product in permanently and not be prepared in event of an adverse reaction is negligent. Period. I wonder what it would be to live like in a responsible world? Where apologies are sincere and decisions are made that we will STOP all devices that have potential to maim and kill, especially over non-life saving products. Where a companies creed actually means something. To settle at the last minute just makes them look guilty. I wouldn’t have bet on their expert testimony either. It is maddening to watch.

36. anna cantu says:

I agree with the idea that we must FIGHT and have our voices heard! I do not think this has gotten nearly enough NEWS coverage. The only coverage I have seen is greedy lawyer commercials giving the public the idea that we are all about to get a huge windfall! We need OPRAH, DR. PHIL, Dianne Sawyer, whoever will listen…*I was just throwing out names…I know there are more “newsworthy” sources out there.

Let’s do it! I don’t think I can do it alone, but I am willing to join in if someone smarter can help start it off!

37. Renee says:

What is the latest news regarding settlements with Boston Scientific

• abandoned says:

Renee’ I wish I could answer that…my law firm can’t tell me squat. They don’t know and misrepresented their services to me. I have already had my deposition with Boston Scientific, my Gyn has undergone deposition, now my daughter is up for one. Today, one of my physicians received a subpoenaed from Judge Goodwin.

Is anyone out there being represented by five different firms and only talked to one? They can’t tell me if I have to pay medicare back, pay taxes, sue for more than one thing….it makes me sick! I have been trying to file a grievance against them for months, get frozen and can’t look at it.

38. PLC says:

I think J &J couldn’t risk losing this case and having the doctor found negligent as it would put a fear in all doctors using their products and also being charged. The doctors would stop using their mesh.

It would be great if a couple of doctors would be charged. It would make them think twice about using mesh

• Bev says:

You are so right. I have been saying all along that the Dr. Needs to be named in all of these cases.

When I filed civil cases I always named everyone involved.

In this way it lowers the probability of manunfacter blaming the Dr. But if that argument prevails I have a stronger case against Dr. At the very minimum.

39. Bejah says:

Hello all, When I first learned of the Joan Budke case I only read the headline and wondered why she was not in court. When I realized why I just fell apart, weeping… uncontrolled stream of sorrow and fear. Will that be my fate also I wondered…the rest of us…how will it take us out. I have the same implant Joan had. It was put in me in 2010. I have not had removal surgery. I consulted four experts, travelling to see two in other places. They all discussed my case late last fall and determined that surgery to remove the mesh from my body carried too high a risk of death in surgery because of the amount of scar tissue that had formed around it and because I have an organ malformation leaving me with mesh that is right in the lower pelvis where the implant was placed (I was never told what it was or given a slick brochure like so many of you). I fell apart at this news too because it was a death sentence but rather than the peaceful death possible when slipping from the subconscious state under anesthesia into the sleep of death, I will suffer a slow and painful death as the complications eat away at my body. Someone mentioned Oxycontin in this commentary. The Oxycontin no longer works. I was just changed to Methadone. If anyone knows about Methadone or has experience using it please tell us all about that. I am to begin this on Friday. Please do not rave too much about UCLA. It was UCLA that did this to me. The University betrayed me, falsified records, admitted to throwing away the tag(s) on the mesh…I will NEVER return there even for a bandaid. Also, understand that there is evil in the world and it is manifest in a pure form in Johnson & Johnson which deliberately markets itself as a wholesome, all American family company. It is all lies. I have come to realize over the course of these trials to date that BIG CORPORATE AMERICA owns the government, owns every branch including the judicial. I held out hope that the judicial branch would be held sacred but it is not and the conduct of these judges is shameful IMHO. I count my blessings. I hug my dogs. I go to church and that makes me feel better. I have faith. I hold on to my sense of humor for dear life and I treasure Jane and my laptop for without them I would be so lost. Finally, I think we should have a theme song…maybe “Candle in the WInd” by Elton John (and God Bless Joan).

Bejah

• Robin Herzog says:

I went on a fentanyl patch for 8 mths and thought it was a miracle drug until I found out how powerful it was and that to get off of it to see what my pain level was thru me into major w/d and I ended up in the hospital.use it as a last resort but educate yourself there has been accidental overdoses from people using heating pads heating blankets or even being in the hot sun. It liquifies the fentanyl putting it thru your system too fast. Be careful and if you are on fentanyl know the dangers. Inlearned the hard way. Now I have to try and find alternative pain relief. 12% lidocaine patches work but only in one area as it is a topical anesthesia.

• K Lee says:

OMG I am so sorry to hear of your continued suffering. I too had major complications and have massive scar tissue and issues from my mesh removal and just a few minutes ago posted about my butcher mesh removal surgeon and implored people to go to UCLA because it seemed the option that was safest and most successful. And yet at UCLA you also have similar issue and got thrown under the bus as well. Damn mesh was never meant to come out. Dangerous. Complicated. But what can we DO? Especially those of us who develop a foreign body reaction and consequent autoimmune issues that destroy our bodies. Our health. Our relationships. Our careers. OUR LIVES! And for this they think $40,000 makes it all better. There is NO amount of money high enough to make up for what most od is have been through and will go through the rest of out lives. I wonder just how much is actually left lawyers and insurance get their cut? I really really wish I could have had my day in court. But that will never happen. The judge prohibited trials for women who had more than one implant. Unbelievable. I am so so angry. And SO sad and disheartened to hear of your experience. My prayers are with you

• abandoned says:

I am not speaking as a medical professional. However, I would encourage you to speak with your pain doc about using a patch vs oral medication. The reason being….anything that is time released and enters through your skin IT SEEMS; would cause less stress on your organs. Ask your doctor!

40. Bonnie Moore says:

I am a mother who is watching her daughter suffer daily, in every aspect of her life. Proudly, her & her children helped build their home, which she is losing. She has always been a hard worker, she can barely function now. She isn’t the only one suffering, either, her children are, too. Doctors don’t want to listen to her. They can’t believe 1 patient can have all the problems she complains of so obviously she is only looking for drugs. I can honestly say that my daughter would rather deal with pain than take anything. My heart goes out to all woman that are suffering this way. It makes me wonder…..was this done purposely?

It appears there was a reckless disregard for the suffering of those implanted, knowing what they knew before launching the products. Can your daughter find competent medical help? There are some who are specializing in mesh removals…. email me janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com Thank you and I”m sorry for your suffering.

41. Tonya says:

WOW!!! I finally found a website that helps victims of mesh see that they are not alone. I too had the surgery way back in late 1990s. It was inhumane what I went through until around 2005 when I finally found a compassionate doctor to help me deal with the chronic pain on a day to day basis. Before that, I was going from Dr to doctor begging for help and I lived in the ER for years. I would always tell them it was from that bladder surgery but they tried to say I needed a psychiatrist and diagnosed me with somatophone syndrome. Then catch all diagnosis when the doctors can not and will not blame the pain from a surgery gone bad.

I went through !any surgeries but they would not touch me until the statue of limitations ended. I was shocked at the lies written in my medical files about me…saying I was getting better and seemed fine with contrast put in my bladder to stretch it, etc. The doctors even said they thought I was mybe looking for a tummy tuck since I had breast implants and a belly button piercing…. In which grew up….and just left a little scar. I got the piercing and implants years before my bladder surgery and it had nothing to do with my bladder pain. I spent cash for my Dr appointments because I had to get a divorce and he stopped my insurance. Now I have a preexisting condition that I can not get insurance because its in my records that it’s my bladder. I had to sell my businesses ànd marry a man out of my town whomwas a school teacher who slipped me in on his insurance so I could get medical attention. Poor guy never got any sex and he took care of me for years until I finally got my disability and he said,” Why does God send me sick women? What have I done to deserve a life with no sex?” The main reason I chose him to marry was the fact that he stood by his deceased wife to the end and I needed the same kind of relationship. I really love my husband the best I could without comsumat

42. Tonya says:

Sorry about the cut off but …what I was saying is…I really loved my new husband the best I could with chronic bladder pain making it impossible to have normal sexual relationship. I divorced him so he could marry a normal woman and have a great love life. I could not give it to him…or any man for that matter….I thought about going gay but I’m not attracted to women like that…..So here I am in chronic pain living all alone…..lost everything and now I’m having to take free food from food banks. So embarrassing because I used to own my own businesses. I have two collage degrees but can’t work either one of them except I have kept through journals through the years detailing all my pain and suffering in which I will direct my family to publish if I die before getting my settlement. Or I will do it if I don’t get justice. I never agreed to be an experiment for any medical mesh and that was just so unfair to us victims that lost our lives. We have lost our dreams of who we were intended to be. My dream was to be married, retire to FL and play tennis, and write best seller books. But I can’t play tennis, and I’m not marriage material, and I’m sure I will never live on the beach and drink wine and watch the sun set in the eyes of someone I love who I can grow old with…..

I could get into the day to day pain I have but nobody really want to talk about that. My family is mostly all women. I have exhausted my family with my health problems. I’ve been told to just snap out of it and get back to the positive sister that made everybody laugh all the time. I used to say, “Every day is Christmas and every night is New Yesrs’ Eve!” And that was the way that I lived my life. I worked 6-7 days a week 9-16 hours a day as a business owner. I paid everybody before I paid myself. I wanted a chain of stores. I was on my way…..until I was cut down right in the middle of my career. My husband was the real business man. I was learning from him. Although I worked all the time and had more ambition than anybody I know, I’m the one cut down….not somebody who enjoys sitting home….it had to be me!!!!!!!! My whole life revolved around working and being around people. Now I live alone in a tiny government apt with mentals all around me I can’t deal with them. I go for days not going anywhere. I don’t have the quality of life that I had grown accustomed to ànd that is very hard to comprehend for someone who has had anything they wanted because they worked hard. I went to the Dr the other day and ran into a woman who was my husband and her husband were best friends and we would go on trips together. When she saw I had medicid and Medicare I could read her face like a newspaper. She looked down on me as if I was trash compared to her. She made sure I paid my small co pay for every one in the whole waiting room to hear….like I was trying to sneak off without paying. I was so emba4rased. I can only imagine what she said about me to my ex and all our friends. I just wanted to die of embarrassment. I had too much pride. I still do but I don’t know how to be a taker and not a giver. I cried a couple days ago when a woman gave me a box of vegetables from her garden and $10!!!! I just cried and didn’t even thank her because I just couldn’t talk. I was so embarrassed. Anyway, my point is: Even though we are in constant pain ànd put on a brave face and try to blend in…..sometimes, somebody will spot me and point out my disability, some with good intentions, and some with bad but it all makes me cry with shame non the less….it still hurts.

I had to sell my businesses for fifty cents on a dollar or less. I had to pay off all my bills and liquidate everything I did own and hand the money over to my new husband to help take care of me. I told my family to come over and take whatever they wanted.

I didn’t care about anything but trying to find out what was wrong with my bladder and getting a doctor to fix it and I would build my empire again I thought. I was so head strong and brave to everybody who knew me but would cry and pace the floor in pain all night…..I could not lay down without the pain just making me so scared…I would try to pee but nothing…I would and still do sit on the toilet until I fall asleep and in the floor sometimes. I fell in the floor last night…..I hurt my back, ànd my wrist, but my dislocated knee went back in place so that was a good thing….I guess.

I had my mesh bladder surgery right when it came out April 7, 1997. All you ladies that came along years later did not have to be as scared as the first few years. We had it hard. Nobody would listen to me when I constantly complained. No doctor knew what it was….or at least they were not telling me. I wrote a letter to the Surgeon General in 2000. I even sent emails to the President trying to get them to investigate the mutilation of women who are getting the laproscopic bladder neck suspension surgery! I did try to reach out in any way I could to get the attention of anybody who was in a position to listen. My girlfriend JoAnne laughed at me when I told her I even sent Clinton, the President of the United States, a copy of my email begging for an investigation into these surgeries.

My heart does go out to all of you women who are in pain and have just learned to live with it. You are stronger than other women. You deserve your financial independence back and I pray for the day each and every one of you and your family and loved ones get that financial relief. I do understand it will not make the physical pain go away, but you can have your own homes again and that nice little sunny view out of your own bedroom window that you can call your sanctuary to heal your mind and soul to a better quality life and get off the sofa of this relative or that one or out of your car, or out of the low income Apts…and have a nice decent place to live with dignity and pride again. I do not want my family inheriting “my” settlement. I need it now for me to have a better life. We need our lives back now!!!! Not after we are dead and buried in shame that our families had to beg for donations for our funerals. Also, my family would not be smiling to get a settlement. They would be smiling to see me not have to be so needy and dependant on them!!!!!! They want me with them on vacations, going out to eat, or just going to church together. It’s about families! I want to see the day that I can afford to buy gas for my car to even visit my family and friends. We need peace and closure on the financial part of our lives now! I will pray for each and every one of you my sisters that we get justice soon!!!! Peace, ànd God bless you all. You are not alone and the pain is real!!!!!

Tonya- You need help… Can you let us know where you are located, and what, if any doctors are helping you? Do you have a doctor and a lawyer? Please let us know.

43. […] the Budke pelvic mesh trial in 2015, in Camdenton, Missouri, she told jurors she wanted doctors to understand mesh repair was […]

44. Nikki says:

I read this article and my heart stopped. My mother died 7 hours after having mesh surgery. My heart goes out to this family and all women affected by this. I know my mother was in a lot of pain. My God bless you all.

One Trackback