Sixth Verdict Awards Mesh-Injured Plaintiff Record $57 Mill in Philadelphia

Ella Ebaugh York Daily Record

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, September 6, 2017 ~ A Philadelphia jury today delivered a $57 million verdict in the case of  mesh-injured Ella Ebaugh, deciding that Johnson & Johnson’s subsidiary, Ethicon, is liable for the Pennsylvania woman’s damaged urethra, the result of two pelvic mesh implants made by the healthcare giant.

The case no 130700866, began July 31 before a dozen jurors, all African-American, half men, half women and all middle aged.

In her closing Tuesday, Kline Specter attorney Kila Baldwin told the jurors to send a strong message to J&J by granting large punitive damages to plaintiff Ebaugh. This jury award includes $50 million in punitive damages and $7.1 million in compensatory damages.

The jurors were asked whether TVT or TVT-S were defective in design. They said “Yes.” Jurors also found the company’s conduct was negligent. A failure to warn was not included in this trial.

A J&J spokeswoman said the company will appeal the verdict.

The Inquirer reports a J&J statement:
“We believe the evidence showed Ethicon’s TVT and TVT-Secur devices were properly designed, Ethicon acted appropriately and responsibly in the research, development and marketing of the products, and the products were not the cause of the plaintiff’s continuing medical problems,” said Kristen Wallace.

Kila Baldwin, Kline Specter

Ebaugh, 51, claimed she suffered permanent, life-altering damage from two mesh implants made by Ethicon.  Both the TVT (Tension-free tape) and TVT-SECUR mesh are used to treat incontinence. Her urethra was “mangled” from the TVT-SECUR, which eroded into her urethra and from subsequent attempts to remove the mesh.

This is the sixth trial against J&J and its pelvic mesh products to be held in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. All five previous product liability trials had found the pelvic meshes made by J&J/Ethicon were defective in their design. The TVT-SECUR has been found defectively design in two previous trials in this venue.

TVT-SECUR was removed from the market quietly by J&J in June 2012 while TVT remains on the market.

Kila Baldwin tells Mesh News Desk one juror told the law firm that the documents about the TVT-SECUR were indefensible.

Baldwin says “Their claims from the Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) that they wouldn’t support the product, J&J knew it was defective and they said to “jazz” and “spin the data.”   KOL leader Vincent Lucente showed different rates of success that were inconsistent.”

Philly.com reports:
“I am pleased the jury recognized the reckless conduct of Johnson & Johnson,” Baldwin said, “and I hope the company takes notice of this verdict and the other verdicts in Philadelphia and amends its practices accordingly so as not to hurt other women.”

All but one of the previous trials in this court delivered compensatory and punitive damages.  So far in this Philadelphia court all seven meshes on trial have been found defective in design.

J&J and Ethicon has been ordered to pay mesh-injured women in this court a total of $105 million.

There are more than 100 other product liability trials waiting to be heard in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.  Additionally there are 104,000 product liability trials naming seven mesh makers waiting for trial consolidated in federal court in West Virginia, and several thousand cases waiting to be heard in Bergen Co., New Jersey as well as various defective product cases filed around the country.

According to the recent J&J SEC report, the mesh manufacturer has 55,000 pending defective product cases filed against it, more than any other maker. ##

LEARN MORE:

Past Pelvic Mesh Cases in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas

$2.16 million – Sharon Beltz, Prolift mesh, no punitive damages

$12.5 million – Patricia Hammons including $7 million in punitive damages over Prolift mesh. Defective design,https://www.meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/philadelphia-prolift-mesh-case-yields-12-5-million-verdict-for-plaintiff/

$13.5 million – Sharon Carlino including $10 million in punitive damages, TVT mesh

$20 million – Peggy Engleman, includes $17.5 million in punitive damages. TVT-SECUR

$0 – Kimberly Adkins, TVT-SECUR, defective design but did not cause her complications

$57-million – Ella Ebaugh, includes $50 million in punitive damages and defective design TVT and TVT-SECUR and negligent conduct

Mesh News Desk, August 23, 2017 ~ “Show Me The Money”

Mesh News Desk, August 29, 2017, Defense Opens Case – Just because she had a bad outcome doesn’t mean the mesh is defective

Mesh News Desk, September 1, 2017 ~ Tricks to the TVT-SECUR

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, September 5, 2017 ~ Medical Expert- No Problem with TVT-S

U.S. Food and Drug Administration 510(k) clearance of TVT-SECUR for market, Nov. 2005 here.

1. Dawn park says:

Here in Australia waiting all the damagedmesh woman for our result of j&j class action

2. Stopmeshimplants says:

So happy for Ms. Ebaugh and her legal team. Someday very soon I believe the truth will come out about these products and how so many of us have lifelong suffering from these mesh kits. Prayers were answered for this verdict.

• Debb says:

When these companies are proven time and time again to be liable, why only a choice few get damages? These Mdl’s are for the benefit of the court system , and attorneys. Not us injured. I’m glad she won, but what about the rest of us, 104k? I’m one of those tvt, erosion. Altered rest of my life. Mdl award is a slap in my face.

What do you think a $57 million hit means to Ethicon? It takes notice and moves everything forward……perhaps toward some reasonable and global settlements. Just guessing.

3. Anon says:

This jury got it right!

4. Dy says:

Lord,have mercy!! Thank you JesusChrist! My prayers for Ms. Ebaugh were answered. I am very happy for her,her family and her legal team.

5. Bernard Browne says:

Wonderful news

• Kitty says:

It is GOOD news. Although the wait for appeal begins…..she has the validation that the honking piece of plastic inside her is the reason that her body is falling apart.

• Bejah Blue says:

And she is so young….that is when it really makes my blood boil! I do not know about the other corporations that produce this material but in the case of Johnson & Johnson is it not time to force them to divest themselves of some of their divisions…are they not “too big” or do we not worry about monopolies and their power any longer?
        BTW this morning I was on the phone with a rep at my ISP, a nice man. As I always do, at the end of the call (So that he would not feel I was trying to influence him) I spoke to him about our cause because he had mentioned his wife in the course of our conversation. I was surprised when he said he had (already) heard of the terrible things this material caused! This is good news. You see people, how powerful word of mouth can be? Please help in this way. Do not be embarrassed, just do it. You will feel better for it. I was very encouraged at his response. We must keep the momentum moving forward…

Excellent suggestion Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Jane, I meant to express concern about you and everyone in Florida as the hurricane passes over. Of course, I am concerned about Texas also but at that time I was sinking emotionally in my own muck and did not know what was going on in the poor world. Hope we are all OK, if a bit damp. Always remember ultimately the “stuff” is not what is important. I was also happy to learn that we are treating our animals so much better than they were treated in the horror that was Katrina. Did we all see the flamingos evacuating in an orderly line…so adorable.

Bejah

All is good Bejah….. no problems where I was except some trees down. Downtown Jax is a different story with the St. John’s river flooding over its banks and into downtown…. Very thankful all is good. See you in October?

6. Jimmy says:

Hopefully this will speed up the rest of the case’s. Still confused on why nothing in west Virginia is happening. Jane do you believe this will push j&j toward bigger all around settlements for these poor broken families

7. Bejah Blue says:

Thank you God….thank you Father in Heaven. I am weeping with joy and sorrow. No words.

8. Lou barnett says:

Thank god the truth prevailed…. just wish it wasn’t taking so long in Australia oh well wait and seel

9. anonymous says:

My case still sits in NJ for one of these exact products. When will J&J Ethicon settle? It is beyond ridiculous. It has ruined my life on perm disability and this is after surgeries of TVT mesh removal. Last I heard some people were settling for peanuts. I am praying that this somehow forces J&J into high global settlements already! I have permanent lower pelvic floor damage. And if I could write a book about the excruciating pain-morphine barely touched-before mesh removal. I was so scared. It has been seven years for the love of God, ENOUGH!

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Anonymous, May we ask how your pain level is now? I can not have it removed and fear my pain level is increasing and do not understand why, I can only speculate. Maybe understanding the pain level range of those who have had it removed will help. It does seem that the pain is more variable now, that it may be throbbing (almost feel movement) when before it was constant. Does this make sense, anyone? Thanks. So happy you had it removed, it was worth doing I assume. Please do write that book, I will buy it and read it! 🙂

• anonymous says:

Bejah,

My pain level before the (2 surgery) mesh removal was unbearable. After mesh removal: after chinese medicine PT (there are some special physical therapists for womens pelvic floor) and some form of a steroid injection directly up my vaginal canal and into my pelvic floor muscle which was beyond words painful. I had relief. I have been told the pain would return.

IMO: I would get the mesh removed ASAP.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Anonymous, That is really interesting about the alternative PT therapy. I would really love to know more or if you can point me in that direction….Jane can give you my private email or phone. I am afraid to have pelvic floor PT because of my malformed pelvic kidney which is right where the mesh is more or less. It is also one of the reasons why I should never have been implanted with this horrific material, not that anyone should IMHO. I am still shocked when I think it was done to me at UCLA. I wish I could have it removed. I tried. As I have mentioned elsewhere (and I think it bears repeating) I consulted with three doctors about removal including Dr. Margolis and Dr. Veronikis and they concurred that the probability of death in surgery was too high and they would not attempt it. What you were able to do for pain sounds so promising. Why has no one offered to do that for me yet. My pain is worse and I am so afraid. Tomorrow I see my Urologist, Gary Liefer. Thanks for your comment so much…Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Also Anonymous, Do you happen to know how that pain medication compares to Oxycontin? I suppose I could look it up but I like to hear what real people say. Thx. Thursday I am going to my Urologist and I am anxious to see what he says about my condition presently. I still need to post link(s) I promised to SS re Heparin…I have not forgotten.

• Bejah Blue says:

Writing this at Rancho Mirage library…cooler today but still very hot outside, but very cool in here, feels heavenly. Saw my Urologist earlier. He said what SS said and so I have re-scheduled the Heparin/Lidocane infusions. He said I need not worry so about the OxyContin clearance issue re my kidney(s) and said he would never recommend anything that would conceivably hurt me. So I have rescheduled the Heparin infusions. I have to get it from the pharmacy and bring it each week. I hope it is not expensive and I still do not understand why I have to bring it…that seems odd to me. I can not bring it all at once for the six weeks either, but must bring it each week for that week. Earlier in the day I went to optometrist. He said his wife goes to same urologist and she suffers from Intersistial Cystitis. He said they went to a marijuana dispensary and got her a special patch that she “wears” on her bottom and it has helped her with pain a lot. I asked Dr. Leifer about this and he said he was not familiar with it but suggested I try it and let him know what I thought so he could consider recommending it to other patients. Just FYI. So this is better than shopping until my special bus back up the mountain at 6pm…I am not spending money!!! Hope we are all having a good day all things considered. Eye Dr. said my eyes are doing well (I have not been for a few years, bad girl) and the only issue is slight cataract dev. but that is normal for my age range (60-70). Is anyone else shocked they are this old or is it just me? Oh, the age old questions….love ya’all. Bejah

10. anonymous says:

“”A spokeswoman for Ethicon said the company plans to appeal.

“We believe the evidence showed Ethicon’s TVT and TVT-Secur devices were properly designed, Ethicon acted appropriately and responsibly in the research, development and marketing of the products, and the products were not the cause of the plaintiff’s continuing medical problems,” Kristen Wallace said in an emailed statement.””

How can they dare say their product is not ‘the cause of her medical problems.’ Such filthy liars! I would have been in bed immobile if I had not had the TVT Mesh removed. Then I still suffered chronic pain, loss of home, job, grueling physical therapy doctor after doctor visits, pain meds that gave me other horrific symptoms to my bowels. They appealed Linda Gross as well. How long does an appeal take? I am horrified because I called one of those lawsuit funding companies and they asked me if I had settled. I said, no-if I had why would I call you? They said even after settlement it can take months before you get your money!

Everyone write your States AG. and your Senators.

• Kitty says:

I guess u could say it was designed well for use for several years…but like a car…after so many years…it has to be replaced ..repaired or junked. There were no research on how to repair or replace after years . I am thinking of women who had the implants in early 2000’s. It is really tragic what we are walking around with…no real help in sight…really!!

• Bejah Blue says:

This is standard ops procedure esp for rogue corporations….they really believe they can convince the public that lies are the truth…they think they can create pseudo truth and we will buy it….it works well enough for them because it has worked for them in the past. They will continue to do what has worked in the past and expect them to push that envelope to the breaking point. Life, dear heart, is decidedly NOT fair. What is important for us, is to remain steadfast, hold to our principals and not ever stoop to their level. In part their particular HELL is that no amount of profit will ever be enough…their insatiable hunger for more, profits, power, wealth drives them so hard it is like a curse and they will never be free of it, never know peace. But that is not all GOD has in store for them. They think that we suffer from “religion” which they consider “The opiate of the masses”…something abstract we take comfort in that is not “real”. Remember the expression “Know thy enemy”….that is what we must do and knowing what they are will help us in many ways. Bejah

11. anonymous says:

J&J Ethicon always appeals. They took one to SCOTUS and lost, correct?

So at what point do they stop their delay tactics and do fair global settlement?

Anyone know? Any Lawyers care to comment?

They tried to take one to the US Supreme court but unless there are problems with inconsistent lower court rulings, SCOTUS doesn’t have time for a corporation that doesn’t like what a jury decided. just my opinion as a non lawyer. At what point? if J&J is taking directives from its legal team, at what point do they realize they are being milked and its time to stop taking advice from those in an immense conflict of interest?

• anony says:

Jane,

It is horrific. I just noticed this quote in an article.

BEGIN QUOTE
        “attorneys for the medical device companies often ask the woman if she can’t compensate for her injuries by doing “other things” to satisfy her partner.”
        END QUOTE

The above statement is astoundingly upseting beyond words!

• Kitty says:

I was told those words by a key contributor to AUGS AS Hillary put it years ago “there is a vast right wing conspiracy out there”

• anonymous says:

Any politics of the national level has nothing to do with this. No politician cares about this.

• Bejah Blue says:

I believe that to be true also. People always roll their eyes about “conspiracy theories”. The truth is that they do exist and conspiracies do exist. The fact that there are also false ones does not negate this. Why is it so hard for people to understand that there are entities that create falsehoods in this realm to confuse and confabulate and obscurifate (just having a bit linguistic fun-girls still want to have fun even when they are wounded which is evidence of their awesomeness!). My guess would be that the defendants (Especially some) routinely engage in such behaviors. It fits the personality profile and the psych profile of these entities IMHO.

Bejah

Another way to look at conspiracy theories is “Follow the money”…. it never lets you down when you are investigating.

• Bejah Blue says:

It just illustrates what sick and even sadistic bast**ds “they” are. When they finally do go to prison they will get a big taste of their own medicine. As Kitty said, “what goes around….”

• Bejah Blue says:

I do not know what SCOTUS is. Others may not either. It may be good to address that? FYI, B

• Bejah Blue says:

Fairness is not part of their vocabulary. And they will never stop lying. They have learned that they can get away with so much. Consider the use of the phrase “New and improved” in their advertising for any number of products, and/or their operating procedure that focuses on creating a sense of need in the consumer. They treat us like idiots because frankly we have behaved like idiots, like stupid consumers who will buy and fall for anything. We have taught them this. They tell us to buy American but they ship their production overseas to control OH costs and then they overcharge us, they spend more on packaging and reduce the product size and increase the pricing and they get away with this. I would like to see us all plant our own vegetable gardens, keep our own chickens, buy from small farmers, buy locally, etc. and began saving the money we spend every month on things we do not need. We are a nation of sheep in many respects. We do need to take our nation back but not in the way politicians so often say. I am sorry to offend anyone but this is what I see. In a way we created these monsters and we must take them down and the only way to do that is to stop playing their game. The only way to hurt them is to stop buying and to hurt their brand. So lets do it.

12. Teresa S says:

My case was filed in 2010.It has not even gone to trial yet.

Most cases will not be going to trial. What does your law firm tell you?

• jane says:

I don’t even hear from my attorney, call their office to get voicemail. I wonder how they feel they should receive 40 percent when the never contact you and you get voicemail. ..pretty sad..

No phone , no contact…..not deserving of 40%

• Bejah Blue says:

Since when does “deserving” have anything to do with anything (Playing Devil’s advocate here).

PS I think I have been permanently rendered “Bitchified”!!! 🙂

• Bejah Blue says:

40% is criminal…40% requires that we ask: 40% of what? Gross or net award…BIG difference folks. So did ya get screwed or did ya get screwed big time? You believed someone you had a right to believe. You were betrayed. Sadly we must protect ourselves at every turn and assume we can trust no one even though we can trust some.

• anonymous says:

When I call my attorney they put him on within minutes. No one should get a voicemail. If you can’t call to get an update see about firing your lawyer.

13. anonymous says:

I had sounded like such a Debbie downer in my other comments. I should be happy J&J lost.

14. anonymous says:

Jane, or any attorney or legal eagle care to answer this, please?

In NJ, many cases (look at the August entries) are’ consent order of dismissal w/o prej.’ that means they are settling, correct? At what point does J&J do global settlement?

Don’t know but without prejudice means it can be filed again.

• Kitty says:

My understanding is they are in global settlement and have been for several months.

• anonymous says:

My case is in the NJ court and have not heard of any global settlement. I am presuming though… that many cases getting their court date are being offered settlement before any trial begins. When people settle they sign non disclosures and can’t speak about it, so it is not generally in the news.

The next logical step for Ethicon J&J is a global settlement but it does not seem as if this is ever going to happen after 7 long years. I cannot speak for the WVa court in any settlements with J&J Ethicon but NJ cases are not.

• Bejah Blue says:

When the pain of not doing it is greater than the pain of doing it? What say you people?

• Bejah Blue says:

Hi everyone, Could someone please define “Global Settlement” legally for the benefit of our whole community (esp. me!) ? Thank you.

Bejah

Not a lawyer but Global Settlement would mean to finally settle all PENDING litigation whether in So Africa, Australia, the U.S> or elsewhere…. anywhere …. I don’t exactly know how that effects future cases unless there is a fund specified for such a thing, especially if that mesh is still on the market.

• Bejah Blue says:

Thanks Jane, it would seem that we would be speaking of international law then, would it not? My brother is in International Trade area of the law so I will ask him. My guess is that “global” does not really mean international…rather it may mean the whole of the cases filed by plaintiffs in a specific matter or something like that but within one nation. But what do I know! Bejah

Bejah please bring your brother into this discussion. Among 55,500 J&J mesh cases many are from around the world.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Jane, I will ask him but he told me recently that he is working 15 hr days, 7 days a week and did not have time to even address probably fraud on the part of a family Trustee who is being uncooperative about providing documentation he asked for so I am not sure how he will respond to my request. He does know the basics of my case. I will try. One of his sons is at Vassar I believe and the other is here in CA at Claremont and guess who is paying the tuition! I think he does mostly trade violations and cases where, for ex., the Chinese rip off “American” companies by copying products in violation of Int’l. trade agreements. I would be interested to hear what he says about these “devices” implanted in us and we have never really had a meaningful talk about it. I know he is sympathetic but it is so horrific many people just can not bear it and do not want to know, as if it were a virus or something. At least I feel that way about the response to us…almost as if we were lepers or something. Beyond sad. And this, of course, makes you an amazing friend to us all. Love, Bejah

15. Dy says:

Jane,I had a tvt mesh implant. All the Doc told me was that he was going to implant a mesh me,as I looked at him strangely, he said” you know, like a sling to your arm”.
    This was 2005. When zI saw a commercial on TV in 2011, after I heard the signs and symptoms, I could hardly believe that I had most of them,but I kept thinking that the Doc had done a bad job!I started reading your column and have done so til now.Anyway I responded to the commercial # and I received a letter from a different attorney. Months later in 2011,I received another letter from another attorney stating that he would be taking the place of the other attorney. That is how I got my attorney got my case. It has been 7 years and I am one of the people that signed. I have not received the settlement but I was shocked when I saw the amount. I thought all along that j&j was going to have to pay what amounts that the people who went to trial in west Virginia were awarded. So, Jane do you know why we are getting crap and no justice for being in pain all of these years?

• Bejah Blue says:

God only knows. Feeling so badly for you. Tough question for Jane.

• anonymous says:

There seems to be tiers of the amount awarded.

People who have the mesh in with no apparent current problems

People who have had 1 revision surgery

People who have had two or more revision surgeries.

I have no idea how they are dealing with people with the mesh still in, in pain that have not had it removed. At least try to get it removed. My urogyno specialist surgeon at Duke Hosp. had difficulties removing my mesh. The longer it is in the more difficult it is to remove.

That really is a dilemma…. using as a criteria the number of mesh revisions, totally ignores the injuries suffered among those who cannot have the mesh removed for whatever reason. In some instances, a person may not be a candidate for a removal because they can’t undergo anesthesia, for example. In other instances, doctors may not be willing to try to do a revision and they then conclude it cannot be done. It may be that that surgeon hasn’t had any success but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done by an experienced surgeon! That’s why I would consult with at least three mesh removal surgeons before proceeding. Can you do that?

• anonymous says:

Good thoughts Jane,

The doctor that implanted my Gynecare TVT Mesh told me to my face he could not remove it and referred me to UNCChapelHill. To eliminate their buddy system I went on my own and called a random number @ Duke Univ Hosp and I recall I was in tears asking for help. I also chose my own urologist when he first referred me out after saying over and over I had the gold standard mesh, it couldn’t be the mesh.

My mesh implant surgeon was mad that the uro confirmed mesh. There was no denying it as the two trigger points below my bikini line were the exact position of the mesh implant that I had no way of knowing much less in my oxy and hydrocodone daze.

I had my mesh removed within a year of implant and she had problems. She said if it weren’t blue in color it removal would have never happened. The oddest thing of all is she said the mesh was entwined like a chain link fence has ivey growing throught it. YET, she still was implanting the crap herself.

So I would imagine if someone has mesh in, has chronic pain that can be documented, injection shots of steroids this in of itself is worse and they should get just as much settlement. I would suggest documentation of pain, measures to stop the pain, (PT, injections of steroids) ask for removal, and a doc statement that removal would be worse.

• Bejah Blue says:

So why is the mesh blue? Could it be so that if there were a problem it could be distinguished from tissue? Is it possible they knew this and purposefully made it blue rather than colorless? Any thoughts on this people?

• V says:

Anonymous, can you please share who your uro gyn is at Duke? Thanks

• V says:

Also Jane. Can you post the names of three surgeons to check with about mesh removal?

I would say that the following have a good reputation for mesh removal:

Dr. Shlomo Raz at UCLA
            Dr. Tom Margolis in San francisco
            Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis,
            Dr. Miklos in Atlanta
            Dr C.Y Liu in NYC
            Dr Lennox Hoyt Tampa
            Dr. Christopher Walker in Orlando
            Dr Una Lee in Seattle

That is a good start

• Bejah Blue says:

BTW sisters, Can we talk about how many milligrams of Oxycontin we take? I have been trying to hold at the lowest level, .5 but that is increasingly hard if not impossible to do….I am taking .5-double that every four hours or so now. I have yet to use more exotic modalities you all use but I am getting there. I will NEVER implant a pain med relief device, NEVER! The word “device” makes my skin crawl now.

• Kitty says:

BEJAH…I never heard of .5 . DO YOU MEAT 5\325 WHICH WOULD BE 5 MG OF OXYCODONE AND 325 OF TYLENOL. OR IF YOU ARE ON JUST THE CONTINUOUS OXYCODONE..MAYBE TAKE A COUPLE OF TYLENOL WITH THAT. I HAVE HAD OXYCONTIN AFTER SURGERY AND I THINK IT IS USELESS. I WOULD THINK MAYBE PERCOCET. I TAKE HYDROCODONE WITH TYLENOL FOR PAIN.

• Kitty says:

Yes…interesting. why blue if it was supposed to integrate with tissue. Are all manufacturesults blue?

• anonymous says:

I was told any urogyno @ Duke could remove TVT Mesh. Getting an appt is easy no special referral is needed. I used Nazema Y. Siddiqui, MD, MHS Urogynecologist

Click Below

Thank you for the referral. Anyone who has had an experience with this Doc please add your impressions!

• Anonymous says:

The surgeon @ Duke that removed my mesh after 2 surgeries is VERY GOOD. But years ago when she did this she had no problem removing the mesh but she still seemed politically correct on not bashing the mesh or the company. I think she was putting it in her patients. For my first surgery she was VERY delayed as I was waiting in the hold room for surgery– of a lot of patients with curtains.

She slipped up I think, she said she was delayed taking mesh out of a woman. Yet overall she seemed pro mesh.

TO BE FAIR at this time frame over 5 years ago the dangers of TVT mesh weren’t out there as they are now. When I went through this I was thought to be nuts in every ER I sought help from in dire pain. Nowadays it probably wouldn’t be so difficult because the info is out there and many lawsuits won.

The second FDA notice that mesh complications were NOT RARE came out in 2011 so the docs should have been aware. This referred to POP mesh only. The FDA still thinks SUI mesh is swell

16. Kitty says:

Sorry for auto corrects.

• Bejah Blue says:

Hi Kitty, I take only pure Oxycontin. When I first started taking prescription pain medication it was I think about 2003 and it was prescribed by my spine specialist at .5/350 (or /500 do not recall) of Hydrocodone and for some time I did not know that the /350 was Acet. I was furious when I found out because of the max dose issues of that and because it seemed to me that it was deceptive because I never knew what it was. When I found out I protested and was changed to only Hydrocodone. Then post mesh implant I was changed to Oxycontin. Is it that you think if I add Acet. myself that it will push the Oxycontin to be more effective? I must say it does address my pain, or has, but if I continue to need higher doses where is that ceiling I wonder. It is all so terrifying to me. I think I have a powerful psychological response to pain and it is well documented that people with red hair are more sensitive to certain kinds of pain. It may also be that we all respond a little differently to different pain medications, etc. because of variations in our physiology and genetic profiles. I expect more will be learned about this as time goes on. I picked up a brochure at my Urologist’s office the other day and I wanted to ask you all if you have any thoughts about this, or experience, etc. It is radiofrequency pain management. The equipment used is made by a company called Cosman. The brochure describes its use in spine pain and I do not know what other applications may be. They are in Mass. and have been in business since 1952. If anyone has experience with this please tell me.

I woke at 1am feeling chilled. I guess the earth has turned enough so that fall is finally here and the oppressive heat of summer in the desert is over. Fall is short here and soon enough it will be very cold. The high desert is especially harsh. The low deserts are semi-tropical so citrus and many exotic fruits do well. Up here we can grow stone fruit trees but outside of that not much will thrive here. Also water is very expensive. At least I can turn down my AC now. Having it one 24/7 is costly but critically important if one is no longer 20 something! I watched a lovely film at 1am that I had never heard of. It was given 2.5 stars and has a really dumb title IMHO but is very worth watching. It is “Seven Pounds” starring Will Smith. A man tries to improve the lives of several people (maybe 7) as he seeks redemption. It was on Encore, Ch340 Dish Net. It is a really good “watch” IMHO. Best quote fm main character: “Live life abundantly”.

I will ask about Percocet Kitty, thanks.

• Bejah Blue says:

I think it is all blue Kitty and I would like to know why. That would suggest for ex. that it all came from the same source (refinery?). There may be other reasons and they may be interesting. We need to learn more about this. Who will volunteer or I will if people can give me ideas about where to start.

17. Linda says:

Jane and group:
    Has anyone heard any news re: the mandatory post market studies that were court ordered?

18. mia says:

where i live we cant get pain meds anymore because of the drug addicts, robbing people and over doseing all the time its unfair!

Where are you located?

• Kitty says:

I believe that one of the problems with the mesh if and/or when it is attached to ligaments…it pulls at the hips. It distorts our gait and leads to muscular skeletal problems along with the other maladies of implant.

I believe you are right…. I’ve heard of many women who end up needing hip replacements after their mesh implants… there must be a link to an altered gait. It just makes sense.

• TAKRIDGE says:

I am also in the WV mass tort class. Just wanted to let some of the women know that in the Louisville, Ky area. I had my latest mesh removed by Dr Kate Meriwether Urogynocologist. I have had a tvt removal and a tvt secure removal. Along with bladder perforation and pendendal nerve damage. I now go for pendendal nerve blocks every 3 weeks as well as bladder instillations as well. Without the pendendal blocks, I cannot walk 1/8 mile. I am a nurse who before these mesh placements traveled to different locations throughout my tristate area caring for patients. Now I am disabled and can no longer live the life I loved. Can no longer run or walk 5k’s with my children or grandchildren. The rest of my life will be spent tied to the house and Md office. Johnson and Johnson, Ethicon took my active life away from me and my family. As well as many other women and their families whom are suffering as well. We have to stand strong against these money hungry companies who have no compassion for the people who buy their products!!! I have told my Attorney’s office that I wish to take the stand in WV, Judge Goodwins court. Just to get our point across as to how many lives their products have hurt!!

I’m glad you referred a doctor. Others appreciate that. I’m so sorry… PN is the worst! I hope your lawyers recognize that……

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Takridge, I am so sorry…thanks for your post. I know we hear you, feel for you. I am going to have the bladder instillations beginning first Wed. in October for six weeks. Doctor says he thinks it will give me “some relief”…why do they always say that? Relief? Seems a strange descriptive. May I ask if they helped your pain in bladder? Also, how do you distinguish between bladder pain and pain from the mesh (hooks, etc.) and other pain resulting from implant? Also, someone told me to ask for extra Lidocane in my infusion. Does that sound reasonable? Can you articulate how much this helps? Thanks so much.

• Kim says:

Takridge, So very sorry for your pain! I too had pudendal nerve damage & thought I would have to end my life for the pain is so severe that words just can’t describe it! When I finally saw a female Neurologist at Vanderbilt, Dr Mittal, she understood what I meant when I said this pain was 100x WORSE than childbirth and it’s 24×7 constant pain! She took me by the hand & said she would find the problem! She literally cried with me and could not believe I had been suffering for almost 2 yrs with that horrendous pain! That moment changed my life! Through her tests and referells, I was diagnosed 2 weeks later with pudendal nerve damage! She put a rush on everything to shorten my suffering & I thank God for her! I had several injections @ 4-5 at Vanderbilt and of course was on Oxycodone, OxyContin, Morphene, Hydrocone, Fentanyl, Lyrica, Neouritin, and NOTHING TOUCHED THE PAIN! We had to hire someone to help care for me & monitor my medicines not to overdose accidentally…for I truly could not process anything between the pain & the mess! I was trying to survive long enough to find someone to deaden the nerve! Then, through my husband’s research I eventually found Dr Prologo! Through Cryoblation(Freezing the nerve) I had my nerve deadened Dec 28th by Dr Prologo at Emory Hospital in Georgia! He used a Ct scan while performing the procedure so he is very accurate! I think his success rate is over 95%! I highly recommend him, for he saved my life! There is no way I could still be on this earth with that pain! I had truly had all I could take! I went for an initial visit where he did a nerve block just to make sure that the pudendal nerve was the source of pain. After that, I went back for the procedure to deaden the nerve! I truly wanted to kiss his feet when it was over! I got immediate relief and got on my knees and thanked God for sparing my life! I have been getting injections now for Periformis Syndrome and PT for this past year for that! Dr told me that the this problem goes hand in hand with the pudendal nerve damage! It’s painful too but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the Pudendal Nerve Damage! I Physicallycould not live with that pain but this pain has kept me from living! I have found a doctor in Atlanta Georgia that has high success rate with Piriformis Syndrome! Am calling tomorrow to schedule an initial consultation. If I have this done and is successful, I will post all the info! Just wanted to share Dr Prologo at Emory with you and don’t be discouraged if you develop Periformis Syndrome afterwards… it’s not really afterwards! It’s happening the same time as the pudendal pain but it’s so severe that you do not notice the piriformis until it’s singled out! They are located near each other and was damaged from the mesh! Hopefully I will be able to post success with that as well! It’s been a long road for all of us who post on here and it’s still a long road ahead to any hope of a normal life! I am trying to take it one day at a time… hoping tomorrow is better than today! Just hope this information will help you or someone else with pudendal nerve damage! THERE IS HELP!!! DR J DAVID PROLOGO AT EMORY HOSPITAL (404) 778-4747 IN GEORGIA HELPED ME! Will pray for you and ALL on here! Please pray for me too! Together we can help each other & give each other HOPE!

That is quite a recommendation Kim. Could you tell us what sort of mesh you had?

• bejah blue says:

In Heaven we will all be beautiful and 30 years old again and we will glide like super models through our spiritual lives. This life is but a moment, a dream or a nightmare but it truly is not our “real” eternal life. We must have faith. Bejah

• Kim says:

Jane, I have several Gynacare TVT meshes! Surgery to remove meshes were not successful for it has adhered to my bladder, but I have had several revision surgeries for bladder repair and pelvic organ prolapse! Dr Prologo truly saved my life and I hope he can save others who have Pudendal Nerve Damage! He told me that he had people from other countries to see him for this procedure! As a matter of fact, there was someone from the UAE that had the procedure completed just before me! Pudendal Nerve pain is so bad that a lot of people can’t live long enough to get help! I truly can not say that enough…just from my own experience! Every doctor I saw, I told them the urgency of finding the source of my pain for I have a teenage son who needs me …and I wanted to live for him! As strong as a mothers love is, that & the pain meds were not enough to overcome this pain! So I want people who have pudental nerve damage to know there is not only hope but a good chance they can be relived of this pain! What I should add though is cryoblation of the pudendal nerve is permanent! The nerve is deadened and functions of that nerve will be lost too! To me, it did not matter what I lost as long as I got rid of as much of the horrendous paints possible, for I wanted to live for my son…at any cost!

• Bejah Blue says:

Wow, thanks Kitty. That explains a lot…I feel that. God, what else, what next. Such a nightmare. Thanks.

• Bejah Blue says:

Mia, That is horrible and should not even be legal. I hope you can get it over state lines or something. I have been warned to be very discrete about picking up my medication and getting from there to home which for me entails a degree of vulnerability as I have to take buses. Even after I get my car repaired and pay the registration fines (I was so traumatized after I had to sell my house as short sale due to mortgage fraud I could not function and did nothing about anything..I was just sort of catatonic for a time)…even then it will cost a lot for fuel to go up and down the mountain every month to fill the script for pain medication and mountain roads are really hard on vehicles over time. Perhaps given the circumstances some modification of the “rules” can be allowed, even if you have to go to court or maybe you can be allowed to refill every 60 days rather than every 30 days. My last pain mgt dr. allowed that so it can be done, at least in CA unless they have tightened the restrictions even more which only hurts us, not the addicts or the dealers. The Federal gov’t does not care if it hurts us IMHO. Please tell us more if you can. Bejah

19. Kitty says:

Hi Bejah. Must
    Be a compounding company that makes 0,5.. very LOW dose. Never used that. Take care. Also thank you Jane. Luv u guys

• Bejah Blue says:

Thx Kitty. I hate to ask for more pain med but I think it is time. I am struggling now with the current dose. This means I can have more but still worry about clearance and my malformed kidneys. Do not understand why doctor told me not to worry about that. Luv you 2. Bejah

• bejah blue says:

I confirmed with doctor today that my OxyContin is pure, not mixed with anything else. Bejah

20. Bejah Blue says:

I am not sure why I need to say this. Last night was the worst night I have had since implant. The pain level was very high and nothing seemed to help much. Finally I fell asleap. When I woke to let the dogs out I felt drugged and went back to sleep, later fed them and went back to sleep again. I slept all day! I had not taken any sleep med. Maybe the level of pain exhausted me and caused me to be very sleepy. I also have so little energy and sometimes find myself breathing with a little difficulty. I have strong lungs and never smoked so I do not understand. I am still waiting for my appt.s with Neurologist and Endochronologist made months ago…they are the best thus the wait. This is why I feel like I am dying. The mesh will kill me, I swear it but how can I prove it. They get away with murder and they feel nothing. They are no longer human. And when their reputation gets really bad they will do what Time Warner did and change their name. I have very little appetite any more, wonder about the rest of you. And then there is the attendant sorrow. Sometimes it is so hard. I am so thankful for sleep. It is a sanctuary. I am anxious also to see the Nephrologist I have been referred to and I will see an OB/GYN first week in Oct. finally and will ask for imaging of my kidneys, etc. Also, does anyone else have some trouble with constipation? No matter how much I hydrate I seem to have only these little quarter sized rocks and they are not anxious to leave my body and that can not be good…being full of rocks! I guess I need to see a Gastroent. as well. Good grief! Sorry, guys…I guess I am feeling sorry for myself just now. I will try to do better. I did notice something that may be helpful to others…when I go to empty my bladder I often need to focus, not dayream or think about hanging the washing or anything. If I do not focus often my little bladder will not do its thing. Years ago I did not need to be so conscious about it but now it has become important. Hope that helps someone. Bejah

21. Kitty says:

I believe u may have nerve damage…maybe at the sacral area. It can cause the hard stool or progression can lead to oozing stool. I am very sorry for your pain. What I went thru the past 2 days had been vey bad too.. I have used a case of baby wipes in less than 1.5 weeks. . It may sound silly…but pears are a very Good source of fiber. Be well my friend.

22. Anonymous says:

Someone commented in one of these articles; that J&J was in global settlement. (Global settlement defined is settling all of the cases on docket in PA NJ WVa or elsewhere. )
    Can someone clarify this rumor as I am on the docket in NJ and have not heard of any J&J Ethicon settlements? -They are settling out of court before each trial comes up- But I could be dead before my trial goes to court-there are so many. Are the WVa cases in global settlement?

JANE, post this comment I fixed typos.

23. Lost And Angry says:

I received my offer today and after 3 implants 6 revised surgeries and a Hysterectomy I’ve waited almost 7 years to be given only a 20k offer. I’m at a complete loss. 😢 My life is ruined and this is what they feel it’s worth.

Three implants? Six revision surgeries? That doesn’t make sense. Which mesh product, manufacturer and which law firm? Surely they can do better than that for you……

• Bejah Blue says:

Oh, dear God, that is sickening….unbelievable. Don’t know what to say. I wish you could tell us who they all are so we can collectively shame them or try to. Try to stay strong and centered and take comfort in knowing that your cause is just. I know it is so hard. Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear L and A…I was thinking about this last night. You must know that it is not what they think your life is worth…they are not capable of thinking what your life is worth, if they were they could not be who they are. Rather it is simply what they think they can get away with. In order to understand “slime” you must think like they/it does, if just for a moment. Please always remember that. They think they are getting away with murder but they are really selling their own souls. And if they think they can say a few “hail Mary’s” and go on doing what they do they are wrong…I can only tell you that your soul is eternal and you are a child of God and His grace covers you. This life is only a moment. If it is hard to know that now, in time you will. Open your heart and be comforted. Bejah

• anonymous says:

Dear lost and angry,

One of the first things you are told is not to not only speak about the settlement but never the amount. Is this true? 20,000 doesn’t cover attorney fees.

• Kitty says:

She can do what she wants. She has nothing to loose…but het soul. OUT THE MUMZERS

• Erma says:

One of my frinds who has so much pain form her Prolift from JnJ sign her settlement papers for $20,000. She has serious problems with her bowel movements.

She went to many doctors for opinions and all refused to an operations.
        And on top of that her lawyer convince her to settle for the $20,000.

My heart breaks for her. I told her not to sign…but her lawyer said if she doesn’t sign she would get nothing and will wait many years for another offer that would be less than than $20,000.
        Both JnJ and Lawyers do not care about our best interest.
        So disgusting how they do this to us mesh sisters.

24. Erma says:

She had a couple of lawyers. She replied to one of the TV commercials for bladder mesh. Her case has been thrown around and she was never sure who was handling her case.
    Many unanswered calls and info about her case.

Now that the settlement papers show up; they convinced unfortunately her to sign.
    Till everything is said and done she will receive $5,000.
    Lawyer somewhere in Texas?