Sixth Verdict Awards Mesh-Injured Plaintiff Record $57 Mill in Philadelphia

Ella Ebaugh York Daily Record

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, September 6, 2017 ~ A Philadelphia jury today delivered a $57 million verdict in the case of  mesh-injured Ella Ebaugh, deciding that Johnson & Johnson’s subsidiary, Ethicon, is liable for the Pennsylvania woman’s damaged urethra, the result of two pelvic mesh implants made by the healthcare giant.

The case no 130700866, began July 31 before a dozen jurors, all African-American, half men, half women and all middle aged.

In her closing Tuesday, Kline Specter attorney Kila Baldwin told the jurors to send a strong message to J&J by granting large punitive damages to plaintiff Ebaugh. This jury award includes $50 million in punitive damages and $7.1 million in compensatory damages.

The jurors were asked whether TVT or TVT-S were defective in design. They said “Yes.” Jurors also found the company’s conduct was negligent. A failure to warn was not included in this trial.

A J&J spokeswoman said the company will appeal the verdict.

The Inquirer reports a J&J statement:
“We believe the evidence showed Ethicon’s TVT and TVT-Secur devices were properly designed, Ethicon acted appropriately and responsibly in the research, development and marketing of the products, and the products were not the cause of the plaintiff’s continuing medical problems,” said Kristen Wallace.

Kila Baldwin, Kline Specter

Ebaugh, 51, claimed she suffered permanent, life-altering damage from two mesh implants made by Ethicon.  Both the TVT (Tension-free tape) and TVT-SECUR mesh are used to treat incontinence. Her urethra was “mangled” from the TVT-SECUR, which eroded into her urethra and from subsequent attempts to remove the mesh.

This is the sixth trial against J&J and its pelvic mesh products to be held in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. All five previous product liability trials had found the pelvic meshes made by J&J/Ethicon were defective in their design. The TVT-SECUR has been found defectively design in two previous trials in this venue.

TVT-SECUR was removed from the market quietly by J&J in June 2012 while TVT remains on the market.

Kila Baldwin tells Mesh News Desk one juror told the law firm that the documents about the TVT-SECUR were indefensible.

Baldwin says “Their claims from the Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) that they wouldn’t support the product, J&J knew it was defective and they said to “jazz” and “spin the data.”   KOL leader Vincent Lucente showed different rates of success that were inconsistent.”

Philly.com reports:
“I am pleased the jury recognized the reckless conduct of Johnson & Johnson,” Baldwin said, “and I hope the company takes notice of this verdict and the other verdicts in Philadelphia and amends its practices accordingly so as not to hurt other women.”

All but one of the previous trials in this court delivered compensatory and punitive damages.  So far in this Philadelphia court all seven meshes on trial have been found defective in design.

J&J and Ethicon has been ordered to pay mesh-injured women in this court a total of $105 million.

There are more than 100 other product liability trials waiting to be heard in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.  Additionally there are 104,000 product liability trials naming seven mesh makers waiting for trial consolidated in federal court in West Virginia, and several thousand cases waiting to be heard in Bergen Co., New Jersey as well as various defective product cases filed around the country.

According to the recent J&J SEC report, the mesh manufacturer has 55,000 pending defective product cases filed against it, more than any other maker. ##

LEARN MORE:

Past Pelvic Mesh Cases in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas

$2.16 million – Sharon Beltz, Prolift mesh, no punitive damages

$12.5 million – Patricia Hammons including $7 million in punitive damages over Prolift mesh. Defective design,https://www.meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/philadelphia-prolift-mesh-case-yields-12-5-million-verdict-for-plaintiff/

$13.5 million – Sharon Carlino including $10 million in punitive damages, TVT mesh

$20 million – Peggy Engleman, includes $17.5 million in punitive damages. TVT-SECUR

$0 – Kimberly Adkins, TVT-SECUR, defective design but did not cause her complications

$57-million – Ella Ebaugh, includes $50 million in punitive damages and defective design TVT and TVT-SECUR and negligent conduct

Mesh News Desk, August 23, 2017 ~ “Show Me The Money”

Mesh News Desk, August 29, 2017, Defense Opens Case – Just because she had a bad outcome doesn’t mean the mesh is defective

Mesh News Desk, September 1, 2017 ~ Tricks to the TVT-SECUR

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, September 5, 2017 ~ Medical Expert- No Problem with TVT-S

U.S. Food and Drug Administration 510(k) clearance of TVT-SECUR for market, Nov. 2005 here.

1. Dawn park says:

Here in Australia waiting all the damagedmesh woman for our result of j&j class action

2. Stopmeshimplants says:

So happy for Ms. Ebaugh and her legal team. Someday very soon I believe the truth will come out about these products and how so many of us have lifelong suffering from these mesh kits. Prayers were answered for this verdict.

3. Anon says:

This jury got it right!

4. Dy says:

Lord,have mercy!! Thank you JesusChrist! My prayers for Ms. Ebaugh were answered. I am very happy for her,her family and her legal team.

5. Bernard Browne says:

Wonderful news

• Kitty says:

It is GOOD news. Although the wait for appeal begins…..she has the validation that the honking piece of plastic inside her is the reason that her body is falling apart.

• Bejah Blue says:

And she is so young….that is when it really makes my blood boil! I do not know about the other corporations that produce this material but in the case of Johnson & Johnson is it not time to force them to divest themselves of some of their divisions…are they not “too big” or do we not worry about monopolies and their power any longer?
        BTW this morning I was on the phone with a rep at my ISP, a nice man. As I always do, at the end of the call (So that he would not feel I was trying to influence him) I spoke to him about our cause because he had mentioned his wife in the course of our conversation. I was surprised when he said he had (already) heard of the terrible things this material caused! This is good news. You see people, how powerful word of mouth can be? Please help in this way. Do not be embarrassed, just do it. You will feel better for it. I was very encouraged at his response. We must keep the momentum moving forward…

Excellent suggestion Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Jane, I meant to express concern about you and everyone in Florida as the hurricane passes over. Of course, I am concerned about Texas also but at that time I was sinking emotionally in my own muck and did not know what was going on in the poor world. Hope we are all OK, if a bit damp. Always remember ultimately the “stuff” is not what is important. I was also happy to learn that we are treating our animals so much better than they were treated in the horror that was Katrina. Did we all see the flamingos evacuating in an orderly line…so adorable.

Bejah

All is good Bejah….. no problems where I was except some trees down. Downtown Jax is a different story with the St. John’s river flooding over its banks and into downtown…. Very thankful all is good. See you in October?

6. Jimmy says:

Hopefully this will speed up the rest of the case’s. Still confused on why nothing in west Virginia is happening. Jane do you believe this will push j&j toward bigger all around settlements for these poor broken families

7. Bejah Blue says:

Thank you God….thank you Father in Heaven. I am weeping with joy and sorrow. No words.

8. Lou barnett says:

Thank god the truth prevailed…. just wish it wasn’t taking so long in Australia oh well wait and seel

9. anonymous says:

My case still sits in NJ for one of these exact products. When will J&J Ethicon settle? It is beyond ridiculous. It has ruined my life on perm disability and this is after surgeries of TVT mesh removal. Last I heard some people were settling for peanuts. I am praying that this somehow forces J&J into high global settlements already! I have permanent lower pelvic floor damage. And if I could write a book about the excruciating pain-morphine barely touched-before mesh removal. I was so scared. It has been seven years for the love of God, ENOUGH!

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Anonymous, May we ask how your pain level is now? I can not have it removed and fear my pain level is increasing and do not understand why, I can only speculate. Maybe understanding the pain level range of those who have had it removed will help. It does seem that the pain is more variable now, that it may be throbbing (almost feel movement) when before it was constant. Does this make sense, anyone? Thanks. So happy you had it removed, it was worth doing I assume. Please do write that book, I will buy it and read it! 🙂

• anonymous says:

Bejah,

My pain level before the (2 surgery) mesh removal was unbearable. After mesh removal: after chinese medicine PT (there are some special physical therapists for womens pelvic floor) and some form of a steroid injection directly up my vaginal canal and into my pelvic floor muscle which was beyond words painful. I had relief. I have been told the pain would return.

IMO: I would get the mesh removed ASAP.

• Bejah Blue says:

Dear Anonymous, That is really interesting about the alternative PT therapy. I would really love to know more or if you can point me in that direction….Jane can give you my private email or phone. I am afraid to have pelvic floor PT because of my malformed pelvic kidney which is right where the mesh is more or less. It is also one of the reasons why I should never have been implanted with this horrific material, not that anyone should IMHO. I am still shocked when I think it was done to me at UCLA. I wish I could have it removed. I tried. As I have mentioned elsewhere (and I think it bears repeating) I consulted with three doctors about removal including Dr. Margolis and Dr. Veronikis and they concurred that the probability of death in surgery was too high and they would not attempt it. What you were able to do for pain sounds so promising. Why has no one offered to do that for me yet. My pain is worse and I am so afraid. Tomorrow I see my Urologist, Gary Liefer. Thanks for your comment so much…Bejah

• Bejah Blue says:

Also Anonymous, Do you happen to know how that pain medication compares to Oxycontin? I suppose I could look it up but I like to hear what real people say. Thx. Thursday I am going to my Urologist and I am anxious to see what he says about my condition presently. I still need to post link(s) I promised to SS re Heparin…I have not forgotten.

• Bejah Blue says:

Writing this at Rancho Mirage library…cooler today but still very hot outside, but very cool in here, feels heavenly. Saw my Urologist earlier. He said what SS said and so I have re-scheduled the Heparin/Lidocane infusions. He said I need not worry so about the OxyContin clearance issue re my kidney(s) and said he would never recommend anything that would conceivably hurt me. So I have rescheduled the Heparin infusions. I have to get it from the pharmacy and bring it each week. I hope it is not expensive and I still do not understand why I have to bring it…that seems odd to me. I can not bring it all at once for the six weeks either, but must bring it each week for that week. Earlier in the day I went to optometrist. He said his wife goes to same urologist and she suffers from Intersistial Cystitis. He said they went to a marijuana dispensary and got her a special patch that she “wears” on her bottom and it has helped her with pain a lot. I asked Dr. Leifer about this and he said he was not familiar with it but suggested I try it and let him know what I thought so he could consider recommending it to other patients. Just FYI. So this is better than shopping until my special bus back up the mountain at 6pm…I am not spending money!!! Hope we are all having a good day all things considered. Eye Dr. said my eyes are doing well (I have not been for a few years, bad girl) and the only issue is slight cataract dev. but that is normal for my age range (60-70). Is anyone else shocked they are this old or is it just me? Oh, the age old questions….love ya’all. Bejah

10. anonymous says:

“”A spokeswoman for Ethicon said the company plans to appeal.

“We believe the evidence showed Ethicon’s TVT and TVT-Secur devices were properly designed, Ethicon acted appropriately and responsibly in the research, development and marketing of the products, and the products were not the cause of the plaintiff’s continuing medical problems,” Kristen Wallace said in an emailed statement.””

How can they dare say their product is not ‘the cause of her medical problems.’ Such filthy liars! I would have been in bed immobile if I had not had the TVT Mesh removed. Then I still suffered chronic pain, loss of home, job, grueling physical therapy doctor after doctor visits, pain meds that gave me other horrific symptoms to my bowels. They appealed Linda Gross as well. How long does an appeal take? I am horrified because I called one of those lawsuit funding companies and they asked me if I had settled. I said, no-if I had why would I call you? They said even after settlement it can take months before you get your money!

Everyone write your States AG. and your Senators.

• Kitty says:

I guess u could say it was designed well for use for several years…but like a car…after so many years…it has to be replaced ..repaired or junked. There were no research on how to repair or replace after years . I am thinking of women who had the implants in early 2000’s. It is really tragic what we are walking around with…no real help in sight…really!!

11. anonymous says:

J&J Ethicon always appeals. They took one to SCOTUS and lost, correct?

So at what point do they stop their delay tactics and do fair global settlement?

Anyone know? Any Lawyers care to comment?

They tried to take one to the US Supreme court but unless there are problems with inconsistent lower court rulings, SCOTUS doesn’t have time for a corporation that doesn’t like what a jury decided. just my opinion as a non lawyer. At what point? if J&J is taking directives from its legal team, at what point do they realize they are being milked and its time to stop taking advice from those in an immense conflict of interest?

• anony says:

Jane,

It is horrific. I just noticed this quote in an article.

BEGIN QUOTE
        “attorneys for the medical device companies often ask the woman if she can’t compensate for her injuries by doing “other things” to satisfy her partner.”
        END QUOTE

The above statement is astoundingly upseting beyond words!

• Kitty says:

I was told those words by a key contributor to AUGS AS Hillary put it years ago “there is a vast right wing conspiracy out there”

• anonymous says:

Any politics of the national level has nothing to do with this. No politician cares about this.

• Bejah Blue says:

I believe that to be true also. People always roll their eyes about “conspiracy theories”. The truth is that they do exist and conspiracies do exist. The fact that there are also false ones does not negate this. Why is it so hard for people to understand that there are entities that create falsehoods in this realm to confuse and confabulate and obscurifate (just having a bit linguistic fun-girls still want to have fun even when they are wounded which is evidence of their awesomeness!). My guess would be that the defendants (Especially some) routinely engage in such behaviors. It fits the personality profile and the psych profile of these entities IMHO.

Bejah

Another way to look at conspiracy theories is “Follow the money”…. it never lets you down when you are investigating.

• Bejah Blue says:

It just illustrates what sick and even sadistic bast**ds “they” are. When they finally do go to prison they will get a big taste of their own medicine. As Kitty said, “what goes around….”

• Bejah Blue says:

I do not know what SCOTUS is. Others may not either. It may be good to address that? FYI, B

• Bejah Blue says:

Fairness is not part of their vocabulary. And they will never stop lying. They have learned that they can get away with so much. Consider the use of the phrase “New and improved” in their advertising for any number of products, and/or their operating procedure that focuses on creating a sense of need in the consumer. They treat us like idiots because frankly we have behaved like idiots, like stupid consumers who will buy and fall for anything. We have taught them this. They tell us to buy American but they ship their production overseas to control OH costs and then they overcharge us, they spend more on packaging and reduce the product size and increase the pricing and they get away with this. I would like to see us all plant our own vegetable gardens, keep our own chickens, buy from small farmers, buy locally, etc. and began saving the money we spend every month on things we do not need. We are a nation of sheep in many respects. We do need to take our nation back but not in the way politicians so often say. I am sorry to offend anyone but this is what I see. In a way we created these monsters and we must take them down and the only way to do that is to stop playing their game. The only way to hurt them is to stop buying and to hurt their brand. So lets do it.

12. Teresa S says:

My case was filed in 2010.It has not even gone to trial yet.

Most cases will not be going to trial. What does your law firm tell you?

• jane says:

I don’t even hear from my attorney, call their office to get voicemail. I wonder how they feel they should receive 40 percent when the never contact you and you get voicemail. ..pretty sad..

No phone , no contact…..not deserving of 40%

• Bejah Blue says:

Since when does “deserving” have anything to do with anything (Playing Devil’s advocate here).

PS I think I have been permanently rendered “Bitchified”!!! 🙂

• Bejah Blue says:

40% is criminal…40% requires that we ask: 40% of what? Gross or net award…BIG difference folks. So did ya get screwed or did ya get screwed big time? You believed someone you had a right to believe. You were betrayed. Sadly we must protect ourselves at every turn and assume we can trust no one even though we can trust some.

• anonymous says:

When I call my attorney they put him on within minutes. No one should get a voicemail. If you can’t call to get an update see about firing your lawyer.

13. anonymous says:

I had sounded like such a Debbie downer in my other comments. I should be happy J&J lost.

14. anonymous says:

Jane, or any attorney or legal eagle care to answer this, please?

In NJ, many cases (look at the August entries) are’ consent order of dismissal w/o prej.’ that means they are settling, correct? At what point does J&J do global settlement?

Don’t know but without prejudice means it can be filed again.

• Kitty says:

My understanding is they are in global settlement and have been for several months.

• anonymous says:

My case is in the NJ court and have not heard of any global settlement. I am presuming though… that many cases getting their court date are being offered settlement before any trial begins. When people settle they sign non disclosures and can’t speak about it, so it is not generally in the news.

The next logical step for Ethicon J&J is a global settlement but it does not seem as if this is ever going to happen after 7 long years. I cannot speak for the WVa court in any settlements with J&J Ethicon but NJ cases are not.

• Bejah Blue says:

When the pain of not doing it is greater than the pain of doing it? What say you people?

• Bejah Blue says:

Hi everyone, Could someone please define “Global Settlement” legally for the benefit of our whole community (esp. me!) ? Thank you.

Bejah

Not a lawyer but Global Settlement would mean to finally settle all PENDING litigation whether in So Africa, Australia, the U.S> or elsewhere…. anywhere …. I don’t exactly know how that effects future cases unless there is a fund specified for such a thing, especially if that mesh is still on the market.

• Bejah Blue says:

Thanks Jane, it would seem that we would be speaking of international law then, would it not? My brother is in International Trade area of the law so I will ask him. My guess is that “global” does not really mean international…rather it may mean the whole of the cases filed by plaintiffs in a specific matter or something like that but within one nation. But what do I know! Bejah

Bejah please bring your brother into this discussion. Among 55,500 J&J mesh cases many are from around the world.

15. Dy says:

Jane,I had a tvt mesh implant. All the Doc told me was that he was going to implant a mesh me,as I looked at him strangely, he said” you know, like a sling to your arm”.
    This was 2005. When zI saw a commercial on TV in 2011, after I heard the signs and symptoms, I could hardly believe that I had most of them,but I kept thinking that the Doc had done a bad job!I started reading your column and have done so til now.Anyway I responded to the commercial # and I received a letter from a different attorney. Months later in 2011,I received another letter from another attorney stating that he would be taking the place of the other attorney. That is how I got my attorney got my case. It has been 7 years and I am one of the people that signed. I have not received the settlement but I was shocked when I saw the amount. I thought all along that j&j was going to have to pay what amounts that the people who went to trial in west Virginia were awarded. So, Jane do you know why we are getting crap and no justice for being in pain all of these years?

• Bejah Blue says:

God only knows. Feeling so badly for you. Tough question for Jane.

• anonymous says:

There seems to be tiers of the amount awarded.

People who have the mesh in with no apparent current problems

People who have had 1 revision surgery

People who have had two or more revision surgeries.

I have no idea how they are dealing with people with the mesh still in, in pain that have not had it removed. At least try to get it removed. My urogyno specialist surgeon at Duke Hosp. had difficulties removing my mesh. The longer it is in the more difficult it is to remove.

That really is a dilemma…. using as a criteria the number of mesh revisions, totally ignores the injuries suffered among those who cannot have the mesh removed for whatever reason. In some instances, a person may not be a candidate for a removal because they can’t undergo anesthesia, for example. In other instances, doctors may not be willing to try to do a revision and they then conclude it cannot be done. It may be that that surgeon hasn’t had any success but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done by an experienced surgeon! That’s why I would consult with at least three mesh removal surgeons before proceeding. Can you do that?

• anonymous says:

Good thoughts Jane,

The doctor that implanted my Gynecare TVT Mesh told me to my face he could not remove it and referred me to UNCChapelHill. To eliminate their buddy system I went on my own and called a random number @ Duke Univ Hosp and I recall I was in tears asking for help. I also chose my own urologist when he first referred me out after saying over and over I had the gold standard mesh, it couldn’t be the mesh.

My mesh implant surgeon was mad that the uro confirmed mesh. There was no denying it as the two trigger points below my bikini line were the exact position of the mesh implant that I had no way of knowing much less in my oxy and hydrocodone daze.

I had my mesh removed within a year of implant and she had problems. She said if it weren’t blue in color it removal would have never happened. The oddest thing of all is she said the mesh was entwined like a chain link fence has ivey growing throught it. YET, she still was implanting the crap herself.

So I would imagine if someone has mesh in, has chronic pain that can be documented, injection shots of steroids this in of itself is worse and they should get just as much settlement. I would suggest documentation of pain, measures to stop the pain, (PT, injections of steroids) ask for removal, and a doc statement that removal would be worse.

• Bejah Blue says:

So why is the mesh blue? Could it be so that if there were a problem it could be distinguished from tissue? Is it possible they knew this and purposefully made it blue rather than colorless? Any thoughts on this people?

• V says:

Anonymous, can you please share who your uro gyn is at Duke? Thanks

• V says:

Also Jane. Can you post the names of three surgeons to check with about mesh removal?

I would say that the following have a good reputation for mesh removal:

Dr. Shlomo Raz at UCLA
            Dr. Tom Margolis in San francisco
            Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis,
            Dr. Miklos in Atlanta
            Dr C.Y Liu in NYC
            Dr Lennox Hoyt Tampa
            Dr. Christopher Walker in Orlando
            Dr Una Lee in Seattle

That is a good start

• Bejah Blue says:

BTW sisters, Can we talk about how many milligrams of Oxycontin we take? I have been trying to hold at the lowest level, .5 but that is increasingly hard if not impossible to do….I am taking .5-double that every four hours or so now. I have yet to use more exotic modalities you all use but I am getting there. I will NEVER implant a pain med relief device, NEVER! The word “device” makes my skin crawl now.

• Kitty says:

BEJAH…I never heard of .5 . DO YOU MEAT 5\325 WHICH WOULD BE 5 MG OF OXYCODONE AND 325 OF TYLENOL. OR IF YOU ARE ON JUST THE CONTINUOUS OXYCODONE..MAYBE TAKE A COUPLE OF TYLENOL WITH THAT. I HAVE HAD OXYCONTIN AFTER SURGERY AND I THINK IT IS USELESS. I WOULD THINK MAYBE PERCOCET. I TAKE HYDROCODONE WITH TYLENOL FOR PAIN.

• Kitty says:

Yes…interesting. why blue if it was supposed to integrate with tissue. Are all manufacturesults blue?

16. Kitty says:

Sorry for auto corrects.

• Bejah Blue says:

Hi Kitty, I take only pure Oxycontin. When I first started taking prescription pain medication it was I think about 2003 and it was prescribed by my spine specialist at .5/350 (or /500 do not recall) of Hydrocodone and for some time I did not know that the /350 was Acet. I was furious when I found out because of the max dose issues of that and because it seemed to me that it was deceptive because I never knew what it was. When I found out I protested and was changed to only Hydrocodone. Then post mesh implant I was changed to Oxycontin. Is it that you think if I add Acet. myself that it will push the Oxycontin to be more effective? I must say it does address my pain, or has, but if I continue to need higher doses where is that ceiling I wonder. It is all so terrifying to me. I think I have a powerful psychological response to pain and it is well documented that people with red hair are more sensitive to certain kinds of pain. It may also be that we all respond a little differently to different pain medications, etc. because of variations in our physiology and genetic profiles. I expect more will be learned about this as time goes on. I picked up a brochure at my Urologist’s office the other day and I wanted to ask you all if you have any thoughts about this, or experience, etc. It is radiofrequency pain management. The equipment used is made by a company called Cosman. The brochure describes its use in spine pain and I do not know what other applications may be. They are in Mass. and have been in business since 1952. If anyone has experience with this please tell me.

I woke at 1am feeling chilled. I guess the earth has turned enough so that fall is finally here and the oppressive heat of summer in the desert is over. Fall is short here and soon enough it will be very cold. The high desert is especially harsh. The low deserts are semi-tropical so citrus and many exotic fruits do well. Up here we can grow stone fruit trees but outside of that not much will thrive here. Also water is very expensive. At least I can turn down my AC now. Having it one 24/7 is costly but critically important if one is no longer 20 something! I watched a lovely film at 1am that I had never heard of. It was given 2.5 stars and has a really dumb title IMHO but is very worth watching. It is “Seven Pounds” starring Will Smith. A man tries to improve the lives of several people (maybe 7) as he seeks redemption. It was on Encore, Ch340 Dish Net. It is a really good “watch” IMHO. Best quote fm main character: “Live life abundantly”.

I will ask about Percocet Kitty, thanks.

• Bejah Blue says:

I think it is all blue Kitty and I would like to know why. That would suggest for ex. that it all came from the same source (refinery?). There may be other reasons and they may be interesting. We need to learn more about this. Who will volunteer or I will if people can give me ideas about where to start.

17. Linda says:

Jane and group:
    Has anyone heard any news re: the mandatory post market studies that were court ordered?

18. mia says:

where i live we cant get pain meds anymore because of the drug addicts, robbing people and over doseing all the time its unfair!

Where are you located?

• Kitty says:

I believe that one of the problems with the mesh if and/or when it is attached to ligaments…it pulls at the hips. It distorts our gait and leads to muscular skeletal problems along with the other maladies of implant.

I believe you are right…. I’ve heard of many women who end up needing hip replacements after their mesh implants… there must be a link to an altered gait. It just makes sense.

• TAKRIDGE says:

I am also in the WV mass tort class. Just wanted to let some of the women know that in the Louisville, Ky area. I had my latest mesh removed by Dr Kate Meriwether Urogynocologist. I have had a tvt removal and a tvt secure removal. Along with bladder perforation and pendendal nerve damage. I now go for pendendal nerve blocks every 3 weeks as well as bladder instillations as well. Without the pendendal blocks, I cannot walk 1/8 mile. I am a nurse who before these mesh placements traveled to different locations throughout my tristate area caring for patients. Now I am disabled and can no longer live the life I loved. Can no longer run or walk 5k’s with my children or grandchildren. The rest of my life will be spent tied to the house and Md office. Johnson and Johnson, Ethicon took my active life away from me and my family. As well as many other women and their families whom are suffering as well. We have to stand strong against these money hungry companies who have no compassion for the people who buy their products!!! I have told my Attorney’s office that I wish to take the stand in WV, Judge Goodwins court. Just to get our point across as to how many lives their products have hurt!!

I’m glad you referred a doctor. Others appreciate that. I’m so sorry… PN is the worst! I hope your lawyers recognize that……

• Bejah Blue says:

Wow, thanks Kitty. That explains a lot…I feel that. God, what else, what next. Such a nightmare. Thanks.

• Bejah Blue says:

Mia, That is horrible and should not even be legal. I hope you can get it over state lines or something. I have been warned to be very discrete about picking up my medication and getting from there to home which for me entails a degree of vulnerability as I have to take buses. Even after I get my car repaired and pay the registration fines (I was so traumatized after I had to sell my house as short sale due to mortgage fraud I could not function and did nothing about anything..I was just sort of catatonic for a time)…even then it will cost a lot for fuel to go up and down the mountain every month to fill the script for pain medication and mountain roads are really hard on vehicles over time. Perhaps given the circumstances some modification of the “rules” can be allowed, even if you have to go to court or maybe you can be allowed to refill every 60 days rather than every 30 days. My last pain mgt dr. allowed that so it can be done, at least in CA unless they have tightened the restrictions even more which only hurts us, not the addicts or the dealers. The Federal gov’t does not care if it hurts us IMHO. Please tell us more if you can. Bejah

19. Kitty says:

Hi Bejah. Must
    Be a compounding company that makes 0,5.. very LOW dose. Never used that. Take care. Also thank you Jane. Luv u guys

• Bejah Blue says:

Thx Kitty. I hate to ask for more pain med but I think it is time. I am struggling now with the current dose. This means I can have more but still worry about clearance and my malformed kidneys. Do not understand why doctor told me not to worry about that. Luv you 2. Bejah

20. Bejah Blue says:

I am not sure why I need to say this. Last night was the worst night I have had since implant. The pain level was very high and nothing seemed to help much. Finally I fell asleap. When I woke to let the dogs out I felt drugged and went back to sleep, later fed them and went back to sleep again. I slept all day! I had not taken any sleep med. Maybe the level of pain exhausted me and caused me to be very sleepy. I also have so little energy and sometimes find myself breathing with a little difficulty. I have strong lungs and never smoked so I do not understand. I am still waiting for my appt.s with Neurologist and Endochronologist made months ago…they are the best thus the wait. This is why I feel like I am dying. The mesh will kill me, I swear it but how can I prove it. They get away with murder and they feel nothing. They are no longer human. And when their reputation gets really bad they will do what Time Warner did and change their name. I have very little appetite any more, wonder about the rest of you. And then there is the attendant sorrow. Sometimes it is so hard. I am so thankful for sleep. It is a sanctuary. I am anxious also to see the Nephrologist I have been referred to and I will see an OB/GYN first week in Oct. finally and will ask for imaging of my kidneys, etc. Also, does anyone else have some trouble with constipation? No matter how much I hydrate I seem to have only these little quarter sized rocks and they are not anxious to leave my body and that can not be good…being full of rocks! I guess I need to see a Gastroent. as well. Good grief! Sorry, guys…I guess I am feeling sorry for myself just now. I will try to do better. I did notice something that may be helpful to others…when I go to empty my bladder I often need to focus, not dayream or think about hanging the washing or anything. If I do not focus often my little bladder will not do its thing. Years ago I did not need to be so conscious about it but now it has become important. Hope that helps someone. Bejah

21. Kitty says:

I believe u may have nerve damage…maybe at the sacral area. It can cause the hard stool or progression can lead to oozing stool. I am very sorry for your pain. What I went thru the past 2 days had been vey bad too.. I have used a case of baby wipes in less than 1.5 weeks. . It may sound silly…but pears are a very Good source of fiber. Be well my friend.