Scotland Becomes First Country to Suspend Sales of Transvaginal Mesh!

From BBC News

From BBC News

One day after one of the country’s health boards voted to ban the use of transvaginal mesh use in that country, Scotland’s Health Secretary Alex Neil has requested the use of mesh implants stop in Scotland until an investigation into mesh complications is conducted.

About 1,500 women undergo transvaginal mesh implants in Scotland every year, reports BBC. See their story here.

The suspension would include mesh implants used to treat pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. In the U.S. the SUI “tape” is still referred to as the “gold standard” by many doctors and medical societies.

Mr. Neil said he as deeply troubled by the stories he’s heard from campaigners who brought their request to a parliamentary committee last week. The women, many members of Scottish Mesh Survivors, a Facebook group and friends with Mesh News Desk, petitioned a Scottish Parliaments petitions committee and brought their personal stories directly to government regulators.

The U.S. does not have such a direct petitions committee route to members of Congress. Watch the morning session of the Public Petitions Committee here.

BBC reports Mr. Neil said:

“I’ve personally met with women who’ve been adversely affected, and I was deeply troubled to hear how women affected have suffered, and they have my full sympathy and support and we’ll certainly do everything we can to improve the situation.

“No one should have to experience the level of suffering that some of these women have had.”

Scottish Parliament Committee hearing

Scottish Parliament Committee hearing

There are 14 regional health boards in Scotland where the medical system is overseen by the government. Several have already agreed to abide by the request. Others, according to BBC, say they do not use transvaginal mesh to repair prolapse and incontinence.

Mr. Neil said he will ask the country’s chief medical officer Dr. Frances Elliot to contact the health boards to suspend the use of transvaginal mesh until there is a Scottish review. A European Commission investigation into mesh implants is already underway and is due to be released January 2015 (here), the same time an FDA ordered review of the health of implanted women is due from 30 mesh manufacturers.

The actual number of mesh injured women in Scotland and around the world is not known because there is no tracking,  either by the FDA or by industry, of mesh-related complications that can include infection, mesh erosion and migration, nerve damage and chronic pain, among other problems. Any reporting to the FDA is entirely voluntary and not closely monitored.

Complication rates for transvaginal mesh could be as high as 30 percent, a number attributed to hernia mesh-related injuries.  Transvaginal mesh is made from the same polypropylene fiber.

The BBC (here) has an excellent summary of the events as they have unfolded in Scotland.

Marion Scott, Daily Mail reporter

Marion Scott, Sunday Mail reporter

Much credit should be given to reporter for the Sunday Mail, Marion Scott who and her editors who has pursued this story with a dedication not seen in U.S. media outlets.

Mesh manufacturers, mostly U.S. based include Ethicon ( Johnson & Johnson), American Medical Systems/ Endo, Boston Scientific, C.R. Bard, Coloplast and Cook. Mesh manufacturers have direct financial ties to U.S. medical societies such as the American Urogynecologic Society and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which still promote the use of mesh for use in a treatment of stress urinary incontinence.

Learn More:

Public Petitions Committee hearing June 17, 2014

BBC News Coverage

The Evening Telegraph

Mesh News Desk, Scottish Health Board Votes to Ban Transvaginal Mesh, June 16, 2014

Watch the entire hearing on BBC Democracy Live here.

Scottish Petition Here.

Women warn of incontinence implants Watch11 March 2014, Scotland

Faulty implants end women’s sex life,  10 March, 2014, Scotland

BBC on Scottish Survivors June 2

Video STV News May 13

Health Minister Scotland Calls for Urgent Review of Controversial Treatment, May 11, 2014

STV News May 13, 2014

Grieving daughter May 18 2014

Scottish Health Neil on Mesh

Health Sec Alex Neil also considering reclassification in the UK

April 2014 Petition to Keep Mesh out of Hospitals, Start an Inquiry

Scottish Mesh Survivors- FB Page

MND – About 400 Scottish Lawsuits- Jan 2014

1. karen says:

Come on United States of America political parties your not doing your part.FDA you allowed this now Shut Them Down!!! We all know Johnson and Johnson paid all of you thats their job, to be underhanded. But this is enough . Write the lawsuits off on your taxes as commercial losses, bad investments, campaign support, u now how it works. What happen Johnson and Johnson u talk a big talk and walk a slow walk. Butchering Cowards

• Kitty says:

Hi Karen I posted this earlier You are right on. Kitty

Hello all and especially those J&J mesh victims. was just listening to a news program about the IRS e mails that have been deleted and several I T specialists–including Charles Krauthammer insist that E mails cannot be completely deleted. There are back up systems and back up systems with Back ups. The I T specialists say that No file can ever ever be totally deleted. There is something sinister and someone must get to the bottom of it Wasn’t this given to Eric Holder Is he doing something about this?

2. msm says:

The US FDA should do two things:

1). Do its own studies and don’t rely on studies conducted by the perpetrators of the crime. It’s like allowing a murderer to try his own case as judge and jury.

2). Use a scale that measures more than just sexual function and subjective satisfaction. Yes, that is the tool used by many of the studies showing that mesh is not detrimental. Most studies have no baseline, are not long term, and lack a control group.

That’s just a start. We could all list many more!

The VA doesn’t do its job and there’s a huge investigation and talk of criminal charges. The FDA doesn’t do its job and there is no action other than to sweep it under the rug. Why? Because if the truth came out, the public would see this publicly funded federal agency meant to look out for the health and well-being of the taxpayers who find it is no more than a puppet for Big Pharma, manufacturers of medical devices and equipment, etc.

Hats off to Scotland!

The US wants to continue to be seen as a world power and the “greatest country in the world” yet the government refuses to put its citizens first.t

You are so right about the need for independent investigation.. while the FDA has one underway, it is entirely conducted by the mesh makers… Hello! They pick the participants and do the followup. it is supposed to be concluded in January 2015, but guess what? They didn’t get started on time and the FDA did nothing! Perfect example of how medicine for profit can go so wrong. Good comparison to the VA…all it takes is he truth being told right?

• pam says:

Don’t bet on some states to have investigations, because so many politicians and those rich and famous have invested into these chemical companies, what do you expect from medical doctors that implanted and lied to women about mesh/ i was just reading on another web site, something I had never seen before, on an attorney web site that was talking about cases with mesh, being damaged severely by mesh does not mean they will hear your case, a certain chemical company boston scientific, made the terms I guess of age and it said that if you had not had at least 3 attempts to have surgery to remove the mesh, no case! What about those that were told time after time after time , the mesh cannot be removed, and cannot find a doctor not covering for colleagues and chemical companies purposely lying to women, to make sure they do not get to doctors to remove, just those that say we can again trim it up what is protruding out, that’s it!

Something is most definitely corrupt the way the courts have been set up in favor of chemical companies, what about state attorney generals, more time to buy for chemical companies as judge goodwin on another web site , if settlements are not made to move on, then he will send cases to district courts, , a DIRTY rotten stinking plan is what I SAY, TO MAKE SURE SOME WOMEN NEVER SEE TRUTH FOR SURE AND JUSTICE, GREEDY , GUTTED MURDERING PEOPLE IN POWER IN AMERICA, AND BIG CHEMICAL COMPANIES,

THOSE THAT DO NOT CARE ABOUT HUMANS AND LIFE AT ALL, JUST MONEY, POWER, COVER UP, IT HAS BEEN MONTHS NOW SINCE WE HAVE HEARD ANY NEWS EXCEPT FOR TEXAS COURT DECISION, WHY, NO MORE? THEY STOPPED! FDA, AS SOMEONE SAID SHOULD DO THEIR OWN INVESTIGATIONS ON MESH, NOT BEING A SUPPORT FOR CHEMICAL COMPANIES THAT DID THIS DAMAGED FOR LIFE THAT THEY DID NOTHING , BUT HANG UP THE PHONE, DURING ELECTION FOR PRESIDENT..

KITTY SAID SHE FELT IKE SHE WAS DOING ALL THE WORK, YEAH, i FELT THAT WAY TOO, AND EVEN DOING WORK THAT WAS ATTORNEY’S JOB NOT MINE AT ALL HAND DELIVERING A LETTER TO DOCTOR, THAT i GOT THE BACK LASH BECAUSE THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THE LETTER WAS NOT EVEN ADDRESSED TO THEM, WITH AN ATTITUDE, SO i HAD A FIGHT AND BATTLE ON MY HANDS, BUT GOT WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH WITH DOCTORS, GET THE PICTURE! RED FLAGS TO STOP ME FROM GETTING HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED AFTER PROVOKING ME TO ANGER WITH LIES AFTER THAT, WHO CARES? AS THEY SAID, WHY AREN’T ALL WOMEN GOING THROUGH HELL WITH DOCTORS AND NURSES? AS SOME OF US ARE? I AM NOT YELLING WITH CAPS .

THEY KNOW! AND THEY ALSO KNOW THEY PROCRASTINATED KNOWING THE STRESS AND MORE PAIN AND SUFFERING, NO HELP, TAKES IT ‘S TOLL ON THOSE THEY ALL KEPT LYING TO WOMEN LIKE ME AND MORE. SCOTLAND HELPING THEIRS IN MEDICAL, LOOK WHAT MEDICAL ARE DOING TO EVEN THE SENIOR CITIZENS WITH MESH, LIKE ME I FEEL 90, AT 65, WOMEN MUCH OLDER THAN ME , ARE DOING WELL, my health went down so fast after attempt to remove some in 2012, never got health back, neglected dr,veronikis, you are 1 of the ones that denied helping m,e and suggested a doctor that lied to me saying mine could not be removed , you claim you can and have removed mesh. lying again for colleague, you said he was a fine doctor, I don’t know of any fine doctor that lies to patients about anything, do you? sadistic evil people would, but not those we trust with our life dr veronikis , as 1 doctor said I ASKED TO MANY QUESTIONS.

i know he and his office reads mesh web sites , i suggested he fired 1 of his office personel that laughed in my face when I said how cruel I had been treated, I ASKED HER WHAT WAS SO FUNNY ABOUT WOMEN BEING TREATED CRUEL BY DOCTORS AND NURSES WITH MESH? i”m through, I AM GETTING ANGRY JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT HELL , DOCTORS, NURSES, ATTORNEYS , AND MORE HAVE PUT WOMEN THROUGH SUFFERING SEVERELY WITH MESH. i just don’t have their evil warped humor to laugh with them, it is not funny at all. it was done by the most evil people on earth. in power and rich. I DO NOT BACK UP WHEN i KNOW IT IS TRUTH AND i LIVED THROUGH THEIR LIES AND CRUELTY..( SPIT)

3. stopmeshimplants says:

I honestly believe all of the contacts we have made with our politicians, the FDA officials, celebrities, and news producers will be announced once this mesh crap becomes public knowledge. And every single one of those individuals who chose to do nothing or looked the other way will have to answer to someone. My only wish it was sooner than later. Congrats to all of the individuals in Scotland who have given us hope by paving the way for others to follow around the world. Thank you for sharing such wonderful news!

4. Wendy says:

This amazes me, it should be obvious. These women are not making this lawsuit up, the mesh has too many harmful toxic reactions, shrinkage pulling on the organs and cutting through the vaginal wall right through their bodies, slowly with movement, organ damage, these are all dangerous fiawes in the product. It’s okay that only a percentage of women have life altering results, caused by the mesh. They can’t live a normal life, what is the problem. If I harmed someone, anyone, would I continue to do it because it doesn’t happen every time, just a percentage of people. The system has flawes, the ones that are living with the after mass, nerve damage, the pain of just sitting and standing, the feeling of your insides are being stabbed. We need some help now not 2 – 5 years, we are trying to work, and live in pain. We need some medical attention and financial help, just to help live a life worth living. The ones that are trying to get in on the lawsuit just for the money, are making it impossible for the ones who have had their lives taken away. I just have to wonder about the care and compassion for women and men, that were not warned about the simple procedure. HELP US NOW, not when we have lived an absolute diabilitating life and have no quality of life and are trying to pay the bills and no longer want to try anymore. Because I see the choices as homeless or end it. WAKE UP

5. Lynn says:

Thank you Scotland for taking care of your citizens. What about….”we, the people”….USA? Why is our country still turning the other cheek? I have the one and only answer…..$$$$

6. msm says:

Attorney Adam Slater has incriminating details. I wonder if he would testify before Congress?

Slater said: “In the course of investigating mesh cases over the past six years, I have amassed new evidence which I believe has not been made available and will be unknown by those presenting testimony to the committee.”

• Kitty says:

msm that is very interesting I’m sure he would testify—- but for a price I plan on bringing this up to my attorney..

• Kitty says:

That is good——–hopefully they will obey the law————-Many attorneys’ are in litigation with J&J regarding destruction of past e mails regarding mesh issues. There are good attorneys’ out there. .

7. pam says:

Jane, noticed on facebook you have letters going out to state’s attorney generals, You have named so many states

north , south , east and west, but have not seen any mention of tennessee, state attorney general letters to go to that office, WHY IS THERE NOT 1 FOR TENNESSEE? yet?

I had a problem a few years back needing help from that office, and made the trip, I CALLED AND WAS TOLD HE WOULD HELP ME , TO BRING ALL MY EVIDENCE IN, i made that trip. and when I got there he gave my evidence to his secretary as I sit and she ran off copies of my evidence, as soon as she came back in the room, and gave me back my evidence after making copies of corruption and lies and corruption here. He sttod up and said I AM SORRY i CANNOT HELP YOU. i said you took what I had to pay 900.00 for court trial recorder of case, and now you say you can’t help me after saying you would , I said that is dirty, he knew all were covered in this corruption of perjury and more, local d.a. friends with corrupt, what I PAID 900.00 FOR HE STOLE FREELY KNOWING HE WAS NOT GOING TO HELP ME AFTER MAKING THAT LONG TRIP. is this what other attorney generals are going to do with mesh signatures/ what about florida where you live, how is the attorney general’s office there? I really would like to know. what has tennessee done with signatures from tennessee.. another 1 call does it all to cover up truth?

8. pam says:

What happened to the courts that were scheduled for june and july in judge goodwin’s court? NO OTHER’S IN ANY STATE HAVE BEEN HEARD SINCE TEXAS TRIAL? WHY?

9. msm says:

Court just approved “Escrow Agreements” for the settlement in MDL 2325. Applies only to clients represented by Motley Rice, LLC

and Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley P.C.

Haven’t heard a word from attorney. Anybody else?

• Kitty says:

hello msm thank you for all your input. I dont have AMS–but I am wondering about the women who don’t have either of these attorneys—-will they still be in MDL or does Goodwin send them back to the states? How does that affect them?

• msm says:

I have no clue. I know he can send the cases that refuse to settle back to their states or districts. Not sure which. I don’t know how they could justify sending other firms cases back unless there are too few to qualify for an MDL. What happens if 95% don’t accept the settlement? The offer from AMS might be off the table. Will 18,000+ cases be sent to their home courts? Kind of defeats the purpose of the MDL. I’m pretty sure the judge is in control of the docket so he can just set them aside while he deals with the other MDLs and it could be years. It wouldn’t be ethical but that’s just my opinion. From what I’ve seen so far, I’m not so sure being a case in the MDL is a necessarily a good thing. Anyway, most of what I have mentioned is based on the previous AMS settlement agreement that’s on file with the SEC. Freedom of Info Act comes in handy sometimes.

• Kitty says:

Karen thanks for that info. I was worried about my explanted device–my attorney assured me it will be kept until court appearance. Also–attorneys are on to the lies of deleted files.of J&J ——- other lies were uncovered when I retrieved old records.

10. karen says:

I notice on the court link a case was ( Defendant Notice Of Withdrawal Without Prejudice.) From West Virginia courts. Todays date. Ethicon.MDL no 2327

11. msm says:

It is ironic that Scotland bans mesh until further testing. The U.S. leaves the mesh on the market and lets the manufacturers do some self-directed studies. The manufacturers have as long as they want to conduct these studies and they’re making money off the product in the meantime. It’s pretty obvious which country cares more for the well-being of its citizens then the profit of the manufacturers. Capitalism at its worst.

• Just to clear up a few things Scotland has not banned mesh implants they have just been suspended by NHS Trusts across Scotland for the time being pending further investigation and what28 member states of Europe has to say and The Department of Health England and The Medicine Health Regulator.

Teresa Hughes

Teresa you are correct… suspend the sale is a more accurate way of phrasing it… It has been corrected. Thank you!!