100,000 Women 60 Minutes on Mesh Mess!!!

//100,000 Women 60 Minutes on Mesh Mess!!!

100,000 Women 60 Minutes on Mesh Mess!!!

Akre and Pelley, 60 Minutes, November 15, 2017

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, May 10, 2018~ Mesh News Desk is announcing that a story that’s been in production concerning the transvaginal mesh debacle will finally air this Sunday, May 13, 2018 on 60 Minutes, the premier news magazine of all time in the States!!

According to a release this afternoon:

100,000 WOMEN – More than 100,000 American women are suing over a medical device implanted in their bodies called gynecological mesh in what has become the largest multi-district litigation since asbestos.

Scott Pelley reports on one manufacturer of the devices, Boston Scientific, which is facing 48,000 lawsuits.  Oriana Zill de Granados and Michael Rey are the producers.

**New Add** Here is the segment for you to watch and comment on in its entirety.

Here is Boston Scientific’s response:  http://news.bostonscientific.com/60minutes

Your editor was called two years ago and met with Oriana Zill in NYC. (I was already there for my daughter’s college graduation). During lunch, her eyes widened and she dropped her fork and started scribbling on a notebook as she asked questions and I answered.  I”m sure some of the things I said sounded too fantastic… how could these things be true was the expression on her face!

But as readers of MND know, they are true and more.

Producers Zill and Rey decided to focus on Boston Scientific and its smuggling of raw polypropylene resin from China, which was a story just breaking at the time.  But in their research, they knew they had to uncover the truth about polypropylene resin as an implant in the body.   In the piece, polymer scientists will offer expert opinions on the use of polypropylene (PP) as a mesh implant material!

It is shocking!!

Please stay tuned and comment on the CBS 60 Minutes site when the story concludes!!   7 pm EST this Sunday.   Your editor of MND does not make the final cut but helped with research and finding women who are in the piece.

On a personal note – This is the sort of mainstream coverage I’ve always known this story deserves and have been dreaming of!!  It was an honor to help in any way to bring it to 60 Minutes,  and falling on the heels of a recent Netflix documentary, The Bleeding Edge, it shows that this story of mass experimentation of untested medical devices on hundreds of thousands of women globally is one that deserves to be told!  ###

60 Minutes

The Bleeding Edge

By | 2018-05-14T12:42:06+00:00 May 10th, 2018|News|26 Comments

About the Author:

I’m National News Editor, Jane Akre and I began Mesh Medical Device News Desk aka Mesh News Desk (MND) in the summer of 2011 just after the Food and Drug Administration issued an explicit warning to the public that complications associated with surgical mesh used for prolapse repair (POP) and incontinence (SUI) are NOT rare! That was the starting point for the litigation you see today and thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women whose lives have been altered, some permanently, by the use of this petroleum-based product.

1. Dawn May 10, 2018 at 11:44 pm - Reply

Thank you Jane !!!😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘🙏🏻

2. Mary May 11, 2018 at 6:43 am - Reply

Woweee!!
    This is awesome news Jane! As you have said many times- “The sqeaky-wheel-eventually has to be addressed!”
    You haven’t gave up on this Mesh issue, and as I have said many times-
    “You are the only Editor that has stood steadfast with Mesh Victims, and not buckled to the Medical Device Makers.”
    I am so proud of you! You have given so many victims, a voice, and a website that also gives them real facts and information.
    I’ll be watching Jane! I’ll never forget the day I called you about my Mom! I was shocked when you answered your phone, and our conversation was the beginning of unraveling what had happened to my Mom.
    This is great news to wake up too!
    Thank you so much for never giving up on doing the right thing! Mary

3. Anonymous May 11, 2018 at 9:43 am - Reply

Will they actually show what women have to go through that have had mesh put in their body? Will they actually explain that the damages can never be corrected only treated? I think it would be good and hopefully they did this was to get some expert doctors opinions that treat mesh victims. I’m looking forward to the truth finally coming out and people finally getting it in their head once you’re damaged by mesh severely you can never ever go back to being normal. And that what many of the doctors are doing now are experimental because they just don’t know how to treat this exactly. What may work on one person may not work on another, everyone is different. But as I was recently told by a nurse you can never heal the nerves and the muscles all you can do is try to lower the pain and infections. Hopefully this will get the story out there so that women can be treated with care and consideration and stop being dismissed by too many doctors. Hopefully people will get it so they realize how damaged some of us are even though we may not look like it on the outside. Some of us will be disabled for the rest of our lives because of mesh. I wish even more could be done to show that this a a crime what these medical companies did by putting these terrible products on the market. But then as the attorney said they don’t really care about us all they care about is money. It is sickening what women have to go through daily. It’s unthinkable what it will cost us the rest of our life just to be able to get medical care. I’ll be watching to see if they get it right.

• Jane Akre May 11, 2018 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Anonymous- Any story will NEVER be what you envision it should be. Let’s be thankful for the recognition because its been a long time coming. BTW- they could never show the implantation procedure on broadcast television,,, it would be against decency standards!!!

4. Tam May 11, 2018 at 10:25 am - Reply

I will be watching! Mesh injured! X2 J n J and AMS! 6 surgeries in all to get almost normal!

5. Wren May 11, 2018 at 12:48 pm - Reply

I can’t thank you enough Jane for your courage and persistence to bring attention of this magnitude to this news media outlet. You have fought the good good fight and maybe this can shed much needed light on a subject that has been too taboo to discuss. I will be watching and I will spread the word in my neck of the woods. I encourage all mesh victims to contact there state reps and senators to this ongoing travisty. Maybe, just maybe someone in government will turn up the pressure on Big Pharma to own up to this big mistake they have created and require them to right there wrong. Be brave!

6. Anonymous May 11, 2018 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Thank God the world will finally know. I wonder will the medical community will ever care enough to help us victims. Will someone question what the long term dangers of implanting mesh into will cause us down the road as we age.
    Thank you, Jane.

• Jane Akre May 11, 2018 at 3:36 pm - Reply

And I LOVE the title of the piece….. because everyone will say 100-thousand? Why havent I heard of this?

7. Liz May 11, 2018 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Hallelujah!! THANK YOU, JANE!!

8. Cathy May 11, 2018 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Thank you so much Jane for all you have done for the “mesh injured community”. You are truly a blessing. Will be watching on Sunday evening, have told everyone I know to watch. Ladies, remember to comment on the CBS website. Even if they only show a “sliver” of this mesh nightmare, maybe comments from us will bring forth more reporting. Happy Mother’s Day to all!!

9. Anon May 11, 2018 at 9:09 pm - Reply

As victims of this horrible ordeal, let us do our part via email, text, phone…contact every relative, friend, associate to encourage them to watch this piece to expose the diabolical, irreversible harm that these pharmaceuticals giants has done to our bodies, lives and families. To add injury to our injury, our Criminal Justice System has failed us also by allowing them to get away with deliberately mutilating our bodies for profit. Our civil law suits, after 7 years in the U.S. court system are still being held hostage in the MDL process with no end in site for most of us. After you watch the piece with family and friends, please get busy

• Jane Akre May 11, 2018 at 10:18 pm - Reply

And please understand that about 12 minutes will NOT contain everything you THINK IT SHOULD….. but let’s not be negative, but rather positive that the public at large gets a glimpse of what this is about! AUGS has already released a statement to discount the 60 Minutes story.

10. Anon May 11, 2018 at 10:57 pm - Reply

Oh Yes! some AUGS the same ones that has made Millions off of our injuries and simply doesn’t give a damn. How much weight will that carry? Those AUGS are worried about the potential millions more that they may loose because of the national exposure of the dangers of mesh. Thinking people will not be persuaded or convinced by their greed. Our family and friends has watched us (victims) suffer for years now. Evidence doesn’t lie.

• Jane Akre May 11, 2018 at 11:08 pm - Reply

Put AUGS in the Search bar and begin counting the millions in extreme conflicts of interest. Some think that’s okay….but many medical ethicists do not!

11. Way2Be May 12, 2018 at 2:32 am - Reply

Jane, let’s get an e mail or other form of communication ready to send response to their segment. Everyone should have the address on hand after the show. We will capture a wider response if we are prepared and the address can be shared with friends and family. It’s important to let these producers know they have a hot story to keep producing more.

12. Anon May 12, 2018 at 7:27 am - Reply

Why a release statement before the 60 minutes piece airs? Why are some AUGS trying to get out in front of the story if…mesh is not harmful
    Jane…nothing that I have stated so far is negative…(only the Truth) The Ugly Truth about Mesh and the Devastating Harm that it has caused its Victims and their families.

13. Anonymous May 12, 2018 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Jane I am tremendously thankful for your hard work. I can only imagine the hard work that it took two put this together. I guess it’s just that there are so many women yet being held hostage waiting for their settlements and that is hard for me to swallow. Too many women are still being harassed by attorneys to take tiny settlements . Perhaps this story will make all of these companies wake up and realize that the damn is about to burst. The news of what they did to people with mesh is about to get out. It would be much better for them if they would be reasonable in their settlements and put this to bed. But they choose to fight the crippled, the disabled, those women who constantly have to fight infections and yet fight the attorneys too. What has happened to to many women has been complete Devastation of their life. And what is that worth 20 40 60 thousand dollars that is a kind of settlements we are getting. Perhaps at least with this piece we can warn other women so they will not ever have to go through what too many of us suffer everyday. My gratitude to you for all you have done and I’m sure will continue to do. As we all have said many times you are an angel from God and we appreciate you more than we can ever tell you.

• Jane Akre May 12, 2018 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Thank you anonymous….. you all are holding each other up and I”m happy to help! Agreed, preventing future injury is vitally important!

14. Susan May 13, 2018 at 10:16 am - Reply

15. Anonymous May 13, 2018 at 7:26 pm - Reply

It’s a start, it’s a start. I just wish they would have pushed more thst all mesh is as bad as Boston scientific. Hopefully more stories will be done about this. Thank s again Jane

16. Anon May 13, 2018 at 8:14 pm - Reply

It’s a start! I really feel and hope that some day the dangers of mesh with its permanent devastating effects will be exposed nationally, receiving the same public passionate outcry/action as the Me Too Movement. We have to continue to expose.

17. Billie May 13, 2018 at 9:58 pm - Reply

It is a beginning! Thank you Jane!!! From 1 of the 100,000+ guinea pigs. God speed media coverage NOW.

18. Todd May 14, 2018 at 8:28 am - Reply

Honestly I was a little disappointed with this story airing on 60 Minutes. They focused in on only one company that covered up the use of counterfeit polypropylene mesh. JNJ has done the very same thing! Why wasn’t that aired as part of this story? This is a huge story and the manufacturers of these products should be put out of business. I have worked in the medical device industry for over 25 years in engineering and quality roles, including with both Boston Scientific and JnJ. I can tell you beyond doubt that both of these companies only care about profits and do not operate ethically in cases such as these…. when certain materials become unavailable by the raw material providers. These cases are about purchasing and engineering functions panicking over all the documentation, testing and financial impact upon the bottom line. The right thing to do would have been to place a shipping hold on these products and conduct a voluntary recall until a new product could be developed. But these money making machines have no concern for human lives that are at stake. My wife has contracted an autoimmune disease that will not be cured and will ultimately be the cause of her death. This disease developed as a result of a JnJ mesh becoming severely infected. Point blank Polypropylene is NOT intended for use as an implant and should NEVER be sourced for those purposes.

• Jane Akre May 14, 2018 at 11:09 am - Reply

And Todd in 12 minutes I think the piece got that point across beautifully… of course it omits a world of hurt… we knew that would happen…. but personally, I’m grateful to the public awareness concerning polypropylene…. ALL polypropylene. It’s a start… one I’ve been hoping for and working toward for a long time. Step by step. Thank you.

19. Anonymous May 14, 2018 at 2:27 pm - Reply

I recorded this program and I’ve gone back and listen to it several times. If you’re listening they keep saying polypropylene was not supposed to be used in the human body. It doesn’t say this meant just the mesh that Boston Scientific used although they did focus on them getting it from China. They are making the statement that all polypropylene is bad and it poisons the body. what I wish people knew is that we were never told what they were putting in our bodies. Had I been told this I would have said NOBut I wonder where the other companies get their mesh??? But regardless their mesh is also polypropylene and these experts on this program are saying that should never be in the human body. So I think that’s a good large step forward to seeing some action getting done finally. I don’t know where the other companies are getting theirs but who’s ever selling it to them must have no morals either. I’m hoping this will just be a tidal wave coming right at these companies and finally the truth will get out regardless of the company.