Record $417 Million Verdict Against J&J in California Talc Case

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, August 21, 2017 ~ Monday marks not just an eclipse but a major earth-shattering jury verdict delivering a $417 million loss to J&J in the first California talcum powder cancer case.

The majority of the award is punitive damages aimed at sending a message to J&J.

Monday morning, a California jury decided that Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder product was linked to a woman’c ovarian cancer and delivered the highest verdict yet in these trials – $417 million.

Of that, jurors slammed the healthcare giant with $347 million in punitive damages.

Plaintiff Eva Echeverria, 63, has end stage ovarian cancer she developed as a result of using Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower, according to her claim.

Hers was considered a bellwether case because it’s the first trial in California over the controversial Johnson & Johnson talcum powders after a series of losses in a St. Louis court totaling $300 million in damages.

Echeverria is a resident of California so the recent debate about venue did not apply to her. Meanwhile there are 300 other talc/cancer cases centralized in Los Angeles and more than 2,500 similar cases waiting for trial in St. Louis.

Courtroom View Network covered the trial gavel-to-gavel.

The plaintiffs’ claim J&J had internal information that it did not share with the public about the use of talc in the genital area and its tendency to travel up the fallopian tubes to cause cancer.  The powders never contained any warning for the public, she alleged.  J&J denies the dangers.

Courtesy of CVN

The opening statement was delivered by Allen Smith of Smith Law Firm of Mississippi.

“This case is simple,” he told the dozen jurors during the opening July 26. “It’s about the defendant’s corporate image over human life.”

The case is part of the consolidated Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Cases, case number JCCP4872, in the Superior Court of California for Los Angeles County.

At an April J&J Shareholders meeting in New Brunswick, New Jersey, one shareholder asked CEO Alex Gorsky if he had plans to get “meaner lawyers” to fight the repeated losses in these talcum powder trials.

Eva Echeverria, awarded $417 for her terminal cancer

The crowd laughed amid assurances that the lawyers hired could do the job.

ABC News has a story on the verdict here.

J&J has announced it will appeal.

Eva Echeverria did not appear in court because she is bed bound with terminal ovarian cancer.  ###

LEARN MORE:

Courtroom View Network covered the trial.

Mesh Medical Device News Desk, coverage of Talcum Powder/ Ovarian Cancer Issues

LA Times, July 8, 2017, Columnist on  so-called Junk Science

1. Bejah Blue says:

Well, hot da**…finally a meaningful arrow finds its mark. We’ll call it the cost of doing their special kind of business. I am going to guess they have a line item in ops budget to cover such losses but of certainly their response will be their standard appeal in every case they lose. Still, this is delicious!!!

Bejah

2. Bejah Blue says:

Listen up people…seconds ago a lead piece on Good Morning America (ABC) about this case against JnJ…a full five minutes or more….have we broken through somehow at long last???? Time to contact GMA and ask why not pelvic implant of polypropelene mesh??? Watch it on their website. Take action now.

Bejah

3. Bejah Blue says:

Jane,

I was thinking about your mention of the safe and healthful cosmetics and I will want to try something in that line…probably a moisturizer of some sort.

For now I wanted to mention to everyone, perhaps I did in the past also, do not recall….several years ago I had a garden in the Palm Desert city Community gardens. At a group dinner one year I sat with a gentleman who was a scientist, and he told me of something he said I should take. Actually he mentioned three things but at this moment I am remembering just one that I want you all to know about. It is HYDRAPLENISH. It is a supplement and a capsule one takes daily. I do not recall the cost for a 30 day supply but I think it is about $20.

I clipped a full page ad from a high end women’s fashion rag and this product specifically mentions that it contains HYALURONIC ACID, the same thing. The product is Exuviance. They call it “HydraFirm”. You do not need to buy a costly product like this…just take the supplement, researching it well first.

You are all still beautiful, perhaps even more beautiful, the sorrow and pain having deepened your soul. Take care of your body and embrace your beauty. This product was evidently developed by dermatologists and the parent company seems to be ULTA. We are invited to visit their website for a free sample but I think the ad is too old perhaps for free samples to still be available but it may be worth checking on.

I have a photo in my house of a wild white horse and a quote from fashion designer Karl Lagerfield accompanies it that says “There is no beauty without strangeness”. We have all become beautiful and strange. Embrace it. GOD loves you just as you are.

Bejah

Here is an introduction to BeautyCounter. I use their products and love that they are made and sourced in the US. Ranked high by the Environmental Working Group…. check it out:

You would have to order through me for me to get credit. here

I will send you samples if you want…tell me your skin color. I use the Linen tinted foundation every day! Really…. let me know your skin color and address. janeakre@meshnewsdesk.com This offer is for anyone….. Thanks!

• Bejah Blue says:

Jane, I would love sample of moisturizer when I see you in Oct, if you think to bring a little and have that as a sample. My name continues to appear and I seem to need to change that every time I post. I wanted to add that my body literally drinks in moisturizer…I moisturize my whole body all day long…I always buy large quantities and then add to that things like Vit. A and E and Vit. C powder (The C can render the moisturizer liquid if one adds too much but that can be corrected by adjusting the balance). I also encourage everyone to investigate essential oils…they are very powerful and helpful. Busy day today. I have notes to share from some PBS programs (nightowling!) but too busy today to share. Take care all, keep the faith. Love, Bejah

4. Anna says:

Dear Jane,
    I am so frustrated with my never ending tvt pelvic mesh case and the feeling I get that I am just being shoved along and then they hope I will just fade away in regard to the many fabrications I have encountered…
    was told many months ago that I would receive settlement offer letter in mail that my case is in the closing phase…then I finally talked to an attorney at Potts mesh litigation office who told me he needed to get the settlement offers out and would in a few weeks…almost a month later, I check and find that there is no time frame for closing yet…
    Is there any way I can check to see if I will have any luck here, any place that will show status of my case…is it pending, where is it?
    thanks again
    Anna Daniel

Short of asking your law firm, I’m not aware of any public info on settlements, in fact, it is very hush hush. Please get information and conversations in writing…. please do not sign anything that does not give you a dollar amount. Some are told to sign and they would find out the amount later, sort of like a blank check. Many women who contact us say they will not sign such a thing.