Bard Docs: Company Knew Hernia, Transvaginal Mesh Not Fit for Human Implants

Bard ALYTE Y-Mesh graft

Bard ALYTE Y-Mesh graft

June 26, 2013 ~ Bloomberg is reporting on court documents revealed in advance of the July 8, C.R. Bard trial that the company had been warned the plastic used in its hernia and transvaginal mesh was unfit for human implantation. Read the story here.

Unsealed court records shows that the Bard Davol unit received a warning from the material supplier that the resin-based plastic mesh made by Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. should not be permanently implanted in people.  These emails have been filed in the Charleston, West Virginia court by plaintiff attorneys. In them, an executive with Bard told co-workers not to inform Chevron Phillips that the materials were intended for implants.

Bard had previously tried to have those emails suppressed unsuccessfully before Judge Joseph R. Goodwin who determined in a June 4th ruling that they raised “a genuine issue of material fact about whether Bard was aware its conduct was practically certain to cause injuries.”

See the background story here.

C.R. Bard also tried o limit the testimony of 12 sets of expert witnesses.

The case of Donna and Dan Cisson is set to be heard July 8, 2013.

Wanda and Greg Queen, et al. v. C. R. Bard, Inc. 2:11-cv-00012

Linda and Ronald Rizzo, et al. v. C. R. Bard, Inc. 2:10-cv-01224

Carolyn Jones v. C. R. Bard, Inc. 2:11-cv-00114

In the Cisson case expect to hear from treating physician Dr. Bernd Klosterhalfen, Dr. Lennox Hoyt, Dr. Bob Shull, and David Kessler, MD, former head of the Food and Drug Administration.

Thousands of women blame Bard’s Avaulta line of transvaginal mesh implants for their permanent injuries. Cases have been consolidated in the Charleston federal court and filed in individual state courts around the country.

In a statement to Bloomberg Bard vice president Scott Lowry said, “During the upcoming trial, Bard will provide all the relevant evidence for the jury to consider and render a decision which will demonstrate that Bard acted appropriately in its acquisition of polypropylene resin.”

“We believe that the Avaulta polypropylene mesh implant is a safe and effective treatment for pelvic organ prolapse when used in accordance with its instructions.”

“To this day, after more than 50 years of use, polypropylene remains one of the most widely implanted and best materials for mesh products in medical applications in the human body.”

Bard Mesh Products include the ADJUST, ALIGN Pelvilace for Incontinence. In a move away from the transvaginal implantation of polypropylene mesh, Bard has developed the abdominally-placed ALYTE Y-Mesh Graft. #

Learn More:

C.R. Bard Website

Bard’s Social Responsibility page

Bard Mesh Products include:

ADJUST, ALIGN Pelvilace for Incontinence

ALYTE Y-Mesh Graft for an abdominal approach to treat pelvic organ prolapse

Bard Hernia Information Page

1. Suzanne McClain says:

UN-FREAKIN-BELEIVABLE!!! We MUST find out if Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. is the supplier for the “other” mesh companies, and if they received similar emails!!! This REALLY make me ANGRY!

• jean says:

That is not the word, rage, at what these companies have done and destroyed so many lives, it seems they do not care, what women have suffered just making their money. at the cost of people’s lives, The other shame is those that hold positions of power to stop it do not, knowing that these women will be medical researches guinea pigs for the rest of their life, how long that will be. I do not understand , doctors and nurses (some) covering for these medical profession and treatment the women are getting, some being denied medicines in time of need. What is going on in states that take part in not doing anything governors and more. that spend thousandss of tax payers money on coffee and food for their family and friends daily and yet they will not even try to stop medical in state , fda from their lies they cover for for colleagues. We lost many god men in war fighting hitler for using humans as animals, LIES ARE FOR CONS AND CONS BELONG IN PRISONS NOT IN PLACES OF POWER IN AMERICA , NOT NOW , NOT EVER.

2. Betty says:

I agree, we must find out if other companies were complicit with this also. It also makes me wonder about “other products”. My friend had knee and hip replacement surgeries which has caused her to be in more pain. Can’t help but wonder if she is reacting to this “polypropylene wonder product”. Another friend had breast implants and came down with lupus 1 month later – is this coincidental? This REALLY makes me ANGRY too!!! I guess it won’t be put out on the general news media. What is it going to take?? I think we have to see it to believe it. No one wants to believe that there are conspiracies – but we know there are. We just found out the really hard way.

Disgusted,

3. I. Candy says:

This article is interesting to me because I know from past experiences that, with very few exceptions, suppliers of commodity resins, like polypropylene, have no interest in having their materials used in anything that touches a patient. Even SABIC, in their healthcare industry brochure, state it’s their policy that they won’t “support applications that remain implanted beyond 29 days.” Sourcing people get around this by having the processor buy the resin from a distributor. Of course, the OEM has to perform their own biocompatibility testing to ISO standards for the degree of patient contact and length of implementation.

4. Shannon says:

I have to have an umbilical hernia repair and if i had not read about mesh on the internet, I would have not known and allowed the surgeon to use it. I meet with him on the 3rd of july and no matter what.. NO MESH!

I feel for everyone who has been effected by these products.. I could NOT imagine what they have been through and continue to go through..

• InAz says:

You are lucky to have found this info prior to your surgery, I wish I had. Most surgeons use mesh and they will tell you it is the gold standard. If your surgeon is one of them run, if they only do surgery with the mesh, then that doctor does not have enough suturig skills to do your repair.

5. Hope Pagano says:

Jane,

I can not personally thank you enough for your tireless efforts on behalf of all of us. I hope that all the good things you have done and continue to do, come back to you ten times over. You are the most deligent reporters and I pray one day I have the ability to compensate you properly for all of your hard work. You are an amazing woman that gives from her heart and never asks for anything in return.

God Bless you and continue to give you whatever you need to carry on with your work.

Thank you so much for everything.

Gratefully,

Hope

Thank you Hope that is very nice… I just hope your Lupus subsides AND in fact goes away. No one deserves that!

• I couldn’t agree with you more, Hope. Jane has been an angel on my shoulder for the last five years, and I am so amazed she has stuck with this for so long. I hope to one day be able to compensate her for all of the time and effort she has extended on behalf of mesh victims everywhere.

• Continued~ AND HANG EM HIGH R SHOT EM FOR THEIR INJUSTICE, OF COURSE WE CAN’T DO THIS TODAY TIMES. BUT STILL DO THIS W OUR VOICES — HANG EM AND SHOT EM DOWN W POWER OF A OUT CRY OF INJUSTICE W OUR MANY VOCIES TOGETHER. MADD- MOTHERS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVERS DID IT AND LOOK AT WHAT THEY’VE DONE- THEY OPENED EYES AND EARS AND IT CHANGED THINGS ALOT AND WE CAN DO THIS TOO! THEY FOUGHT HARD AND LONG BATTLES OVER AND OVER TO BE HEARD AND IT WORKED ~~~ WE AS A HOLD CAN DO IT TOO ! ! !

6. THIS IS THE 2ND TIME I’VE READ THIS ARICLE AND IT’S AN OUTRAGE OF INJUSTICE TO ALL OF US THE VICTIMS- A PURE SLAP IN OUR FACE! THE MANUFACTORS GAMBLED ON OUR LIVES AND THEIR PRODUCTS AND DUG A DEEP HOLE W THEIR GOLD MINE FOR US TO FALL IN AND WE DID! THE MANUFACTORS ARE THE CHEATERS WHO ROBBED US OF OUR LIVES. THE ONLY WAY TO TAKE ACTION ON CHEATERS TODAY IS COURT, NEWS MEDIA, RALLIES, PROTEST, WRITE TO GOVERMENT OFFICALS, WRITE TO FDA, WRITE TO PRESIDENT, POSTERS, STAND AT STREET CORNERS W SIGNS, PROTESTIONS, TALK SHOWS, WRITE TO DOCTORS ASSOCIATIONS, WRITE TO MEDIAL COLLEGES TO STOP MESH USE AND LEARN REPAIR AND BACK US, WRITE TO MAIN COLLEGES FOR HELP W PROTEST RALLIES, ANY AND ALL ORGANIZATIONS TO WAKE THE FACT UP TO JOIN THE CAUSE OF INJUSICE OF MESH. BY SPREADING THE MESSAGE OF INJUSTICE OVER AND OVER BY MANY AS A HOLD MAY WAKE THIS UP! WE CAN’T JUST STAND BY AND DO LITTLE. BUT FIGHT TO WIN THIS BATTLE TOGETHER! WE CAN AND WILL! IN THE OLD WILD WEST DAYS IT WAS SIMPLE JUST TAKE A CHEATER R ROBBER AND